Summary: The use of statistical methods in the analysis of a body of literature to reveal the historical development of subject fields and patterns of authorship, publication, and use. Formerly called statistical bibliography. (from The ALA Glossary of Library and Information Science, 1983)
- Thomas G, Eng L, de Wolff J, Grover S. An evaluation of Wikipedia as a resource for patient education in nephrology. Semin Dial. 2013;26:159-63 pubmed publisher..Accessibility of this information for the general public may be improved by hosting it at alternative Wikipedias targeted at a lower reading level, such as the Simple English Wikipedia. ..
- Cheng T, Zhang G. Worldwide research productivity in the field of rheumatology from 1996 to 2010: a bibliometric analysis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2013;52:1630-4 pubmed publisher..The USA and Western Europe clearly dominate the production of scientific publications in rheumatology. However, some smaller European countries have high scientific output relative to their size. ..
- Ding Y, Song M, Han J, Yu Q, Yan E, Lin L, et al. Entitymetrics: measuring the impact of entities. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e71416 pubmed publisher..The comparison demonstrates the usefulness of entitymetrics to detect most of the outstanding interactions manually curated in CTD. ..
- Huggett S. Journal bibliometrics indicators and citation ethics: a discussion of current issues. Atherosclerosis. 2013;230:275-7 pubmed publisher..Opinions on the appropriate use of journal-level bibliometrics indicators can be divided but they have now long been used as measures in research evaluation, and many ..
- Agarwal P, Searls D. Can literature analysis identify innovation drivers in drug discovery?. Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2009;8:865-78 pubmed publisher..To systematically identify such areas of high scientific activity, we use bibliometrics and related data-mining methods to analyse over half a terabyte of data, including PubMed abstracts, ..
- Rubio García B, Rodríguez Zazo A, Martínez Terrer T, Rubio Calvo E. [Use of statistics and the accessibility of original articles published in 3 anesthesiology journals]. Rev Esp Anestesiol Reanim. 2010;57:281-7 pubmed..Both Anesthestiology and the British Journal of Anaesthesia publish articles that apply more complex statistical analyses. ..
- Wiles L, Matricciani L, Williams M, Olds T. Sixty-five years of Physical Therapy: bibliometric analysis of research publications from 1945 through 2010. Phys Ther. 2012;92:493-506 pubmed publisher..These trends are likely to continue in the future. ..
- Derrick G, Hayen A, Chapman S, Haynes A, Webster B, Anderson I. A bibliometric analysis of research on Indigenous health in Australia, 1972-2008. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2012;36:269-73 pubmed publisher..Further investigation for the reasons for lower citations may identify potential intervention strategies. ..
- Bollen J, Van de Sompel H, Hagberg A, Bettencourt L, Chute R, Rodriguez M, et al. Clickstream data yields high-resolution maps of science. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4803 pubmed publisher..Maps of science resulting from large-scale clickstream data provide a detailed, contemporary view of scientific activity and correct the underrepresentation of the social sciences and humanities that is commonly found in citation data. ..
- Nykiforuk C, Osler G, Viehbeck S. The evolution of smoke-free spaces policy literature: a bibliometric analysis. Health Policy. 2010;97:1-7 pubmed publisher..This study identified patterns regarding the publication of scientific articles, by varying journals and authors, and illustrated sub-field priorities both recently and for the entire 20-year period examined. ..
- Kissin I. The development of new analgesics over the past 50 years: a lack of real breakthrough drugs. Anesth Analg. 2010;110:780-9 pubmed publisher..The present assessment reveals the lack of real breakthroughs in analgesic drug development despite intense research efforts. Possible factors contributing to the apparent drought of novel analgesics are discussed. ..
- Spreckelsen C, Deserno T, Spitzer K. The publication echo: effects of retrieving literature in PubMed by year of publication. Int J Med Inform. 2010;79:297-303 pubmed publisher..As a conclusion, we suggest using a query formulation that unambiguously retrieves literature from PubMed by the date of publication. ..
- Zheng H, Yan L, Cui L, Guan Y, Takano Y. Mapping the history and current situation of research on John Cunningham virus - a bibliometric analysis. BMC Infect Dis. 2009;9:28 pubmed publisher..JCV investigation mainly focused on its isolation and detection, as well as its correlation with PML and tumors. Establishment of transgenic animal model using JCV T antigen would be a hopeful and useful project in the further study. ..
- Gehanno J, Rollin L, Le Jean T, Louvel A, Darmoni S, Shaw W. Precision and recall of search strategies for identifying studies on return-to-work in Medline. J Occup Rehabil. 2009;19:223-30 pubmed publisher..This factor must be taken into consideration by the end user in order to improve the cost-effectiveness ratio of the search in Medline. ..
- Schuemie M, Talmon J, Moorman P, Kors J. Mapping the domain of medical informatics. Methods Inf Med. 2009;48:76-83 pubmed..We identified the scientific literature pertaining to the field of MI, and the main areas of research. We were able to show trends in the field, and the positioning of different journals within this field. ..
- Pagel P, Hudetz J. An analysis of scholarly productivity in United States academic anaesthesiologists by citation bibliometrics. Anaesthesia. 2011;66:873-8 pubmed publisher..You can respond to this article at http://www.anaesthesiacorrespondence.com. ..
- Papageorgiou S, Papadopoulos M, Athanasiou A. Evaluation of methodology and quality characteristics of systematic reviews in orthodontics. Orthod Craniofac Res. 2011;14:116-37 pubmed publisher..The overall quality of orthodontic SRs may be considered as medium. Although the number of orthodontic SRs has increased over the last decade, their quality characteristics can be characterized as moderate. ..
- Yan K, Gerstein M. The spread of scientific information: insights from the web usage statistics in PLoS article-level metrics. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19917 pubmed publisher..These similarities and differences shed light on the theoretical understanding of different complex systems, as well as a better design of the corresponding web applications that is of high potential marketing impact. ..
- Ramos J, Padilla S, Masia M, Gutierrez F. A bibliometric analysis of tuberculosis research indexed in PubMed, 1997-2006. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2008;12:1461-8 pubmed..There was increasing research activity in the field of TB during the period 1997-2006. The countries with more estimated cases of TB produced less research in TB than industrialised countries. ..
- Sypsa V, Hatzakis A. Assessing the impact of biomedical research in academic institutions of disparate sizes. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2009;9:33 pubmed publisher..It has a conceptual interpretation and, with the data provided here, can be computed for the total research output as well as for field-specific publication sets of institutions in biomedicine. ..
- van Eyk H, Hooiveld M, van Leeuwen T, Van der Wurff B, de Craen A, Dekker F. Scientific output of Dutch medical students. Med Teach. 2010;32:231-5 pubmed publisher..Using such an index on a larger scale may stimulate medical faculties to recognize and cultivate academic talent among their students. ..
- Willis D, Bahler C, Neuberger M, Dahm P. Predictors of citations in the urological literature. BJU Int. 2011;107:1876-80 pubmed publisher..4-1419.6). Citation rates are associated with study design and study topic in the urological literature. Authors may improve the impact of their work by designing clinical studies with greater methodological safeguards against bias. ..
- Suk F, Lien G, Yu T, Ho Y. Global trends in Helicobacter pylori research from 1991 to 2008 analyzed with the Science Citation Index Expanded. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011;23:295-301 pubmed publisher..pylori research in the 21st Century. This bibliometric method can help relevant researchers understand the panorama of global H. pylori research, and establish the direction of further research. ..
- Costa L, Moseley A, Sherrington C, Maher C, Herbert R, Elkins M. Core journals that publish clinical trials of physical therapy interventions. Phys Ther. 2010;90:1631-40 pubmed publisher..Readers of articles on physical therapy trials should be aware that high-quality trials are not necessarily published in journals with high impact factors. ..
- Fell D, Burnham J, Buchanan M, Horchen H, Scherr J. Mapping the core journals of the physical therapy literature. J Med Libr Assoc. 2011;99:202-7 pubmed publisher..Results were similar to a previous study, except for changes in the order of Zone 1 journals. Results can help physical therapists and librarians determine important journals in this discipline. ..
- Minnerup J, Wersching H, Diederich K, Schilling M, Ringelstein E, Wellmann J, et al. Methodological quality of preclinical stroke studies is not required for publication in high-impact journals. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2010;30:1619-24 pubmed publisher..The major predictor for accepting preclinical stroke studies in high-impact journals is the complexity of the investigation into a stroke drug's mode of action. ..
- Akre O, Barone Adesi F, Pettersson A, Pearce N, Merletti F, Richiardi L. Differences in citation rates by country of origin for papers published in top-ranked medical journals: do they reflect inequalities in access to publication?. J Epidemiol Community Health. 2011;65:119-23 pubmed publisher..Papers from different countries published in the same journal have different citation rates. This may reflect difficulties for researchers from some countries to publish their research in leading medical journals. ..
- Mohebbi M. The impact of "Impact Factor" on medical journalism in the developing world!. Indian Pediatr. 2008;45:604 pubmed
- Gonzalez Alcaide G, Park J, Huamaní C, Gascon J, Ramos J. Scientific authorships and collaboration network analysis on Chagas disease: papers indexed in PubMed (1940-2009). Rev Inst Med Trop Sao Paulo. 2012;54:219-28 pubmed..b>Bibliometrics was used to analyze the evolution of collaboration patterns...
- Ioannidis J. Measuring co-authorship and networking-adjusted scientific impact. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e2778 pubmed publisher..Cautious adoption of adjustments for co-authorship and networking in scientific appraisals may offer incentives for more accountable co-authorship behaviour in published articles. ..
- Gupta B, Bala A. A bibliometric analysis of malaria research in India during 1998-2009. J Vector Borne Dis. 2011;48:163-70 pubmed
- Bissar Tadmouri N, Tadmouri G. Bibliometric analyses of biomedical research outputs in Lebanon and the United Arab Emirates (1988-2007). Saudi Med J. 2009;30:130-9 pubmed..This situation may only improve when other institutes offering biomedical programs engage also in research activities. ..
- Rosas S, Kagan J, Schouten J, Slack P, Trochim W. Evaluating research and impact: a bibliometric analysis of research by the NIH/NIAID HIV/AIDS clinical trials networks. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17428 pubmed publisherEvaluative bibliometrics uses advanced techniques to assess the impact of scholarly work in the context of other scientific work and usually compares the relative scientific contributions of research groups or institutions...
- Can O, Yilmaz A, Hasdogan M, Alkaya F, Turhan S, Can M, et al. Has the quality of abstracts for randomised controlled trials improved since the release of Consolidated Standards of Reporting Trial guideline for abstract reporting? A survey of four high-profile anaesthesia journals. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2011;28:485-92 pubmed publisher..Despite some promising improvements and inter-journal differences, the overall quality of RCT abstracts and adherence to the CONSORT checklist for abstracts remains poor. ..
- Lansingh V, Carter M. Does open access in ophthalmology affect how articles are subsequently cited in research?. Ophthalmology. 2009;116:1425-31 pubmed publisher..70; closed access: mean = 19.1; SD = 20.31; Mann-Whitney test, P = 0.730, Mann-Whitney U = 20584. Unlike other fields of science, open access thus far has not affected how ophthalmology articles are cited in the literature. ..
- Rose S, Krzyzanowska M, Joffe S. Relationships between authorship contributions and authors' industry financial ties among oncology clinical trials. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:1316-21 pubmed publisher..CONCLUSION Authors who perform key roles in the conception and design, analysis, and interpretation, or reporting of oncology clinical trials are more likely than authors who do not perform such roles to have financial ties to industry. ..
- Tricco A, Runnels V, Sampson M, Bouchard L. Shifts in the use of population health, health promotion, and public health: a bibliometric analysis. Can J Public Health. 2008;99:466-71 pubmed..We suggest that without timely acceptance of terms, new concepts that represent different ways of thinking about health may be limited, delayed or glossed over. ..
- Schoonbaert D, Demedts V. Analysis of the leprosy literature indexed in Medline (1950-2007). Lepr Rev. 2008;79:387-400 pubmed
- Mathieu S, Boutron I, Moher D, Altman D, Ravaud P. Comparison of registered and published primary outcomes in randomized controlled trials. JAMA. 2009;302:977-84 pubmed publisher..6% (19 of 23). Comparison of the primary outcomes of RCTs registered with their subsequent publication indicated that selective outcome reporting is prevalent. ..
- Kim H, Jiang X, Kim J, Ohno Machado L. Trends in biomedical informatics: most cited topics from recent years. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011;18 Suppl 1:i166-70 pubmed publisher..Results suggest that there is a positive association between free access and citation rate for JAMIA articles. ..
- Okike K, Kocher M, Torpey J, Nwachukwu B, Mehlman C, Bhandari M. Level of evidence and conflict of interest disclosure associated with higher citation rates in orthopedics. J Clin Epidemiol. 2011;64:331-8 pubmed publisher..10.6 citations for no disclosure; P=0.011). High level of evidence, large sample size, representation from multiple institutions, and conflict of interest disclosure are associated with higher rates of citation in orthopedics. ..
- Aaron G, Wilson S, Brown K. Bibliographic analysis of scientific research on selected topics in public health nutrition in West Africa: Review of articles published from 1998 to 2008. Glob Public Health. 2010;5 Suppl 1:S42-57 pubmed publisher..New approaches are needed to encourage and support research capacity and output in West Africa. ..
- Shuai X, Pepe A, Bollen J. How the scientific community reacts to newly submitted preprints: article downloads, Twitter mentions, and citations. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47523 pubmed publisher..We also find that the volume of Twitter mentions is statistically correlated with arXiv downloads and early citations just months after the publication of a preprint, with a possible bias that favors highly mentioned articles. ..
- Grandjean P, Eriksen M, Ellegaard O, Wallin J. The Matthew effect in environmental science publication: a bibliometric analysis of chemical substances in journal articles. Environ Health. 2011;10:96 pubmed publisher..Such bias detracts from the societal needs for documentation on less well known environmental hazards, and it may also impact negatively on the potentials for innovation and discovery in research. ..
- Vioque J, Ramos J, Navarrete Muñoz E, Garcia de la Hera M. A bibliometric study of scientific literature on obesity research in PubMed (1988-2007). Obes Rev. 2010;11:603-11 pubmed publisher..USA and Europe were leaders in the production of scientific articles on obesity. ..