Summary: Management of the acquisition, organization, storage, retrieval, and dissemination of information. (From Thesaurus of ERIC Descriptors, 1994)
- Troshin P, Morris C, Prince S, Papiz M. Laboratory information management system for membrane protein structure initiative--from gene to crystal. Mol Membr Biol. 2008;25:639-52 pubmed publisher..This role is played by the Protein Information Management System (PIMS), which is a laboratory information management system (LIMS), serving as a hub for MPSI, ..
- Krestyaninova M, Zarins A, Viksna J, Kurbatova N, Rucevskis P, Neogi S, et al. A System for Information Management in BioMedical Studies--SIMBioMS. Bioinformatics. 2009;25:2768-9 pubmed publisher..Protocols for transferring data to durable archives at the European Bioinformatics Institute have been implemented. The source code, documentation and initialization scripts are available at http://simbioms.org. ..
- Hurwitz S, Slawson D. Should we be teaching information management instead of evidence-based medicine?. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:2633-9 pubmed publisher..the best evidence into the real world of busy clinical practice requires the applied science of information management. Clinicians must learn the techniques and skills to focus on finding, evaluating, and using information at ..
- Ehrenfeld J, Epstein R, Bader S, Kheterpal S, Sandberg W. Automatic notifications mediated by anesthesia information management systems reduce the frequency of prolonged gaps in blood pressure documentation. Anesth Analg. 2011;113:356-63 pubmed publisher..Anesthesia information management systems users need to be cognizant of the potential for gaps in BP measurement, take steps to minimize ..
- Wolstencroft K, Owen S, du Preez F, Krebs O, Mueller W, Goble C, et al. The SEEK: a platform for sharing data and models in systems biology. Methods Enzymol. 2011;500:629-55 pubmed publisher..We promote the SEEK as a data and model management tool that can be adapted to the specific needs of a particular systems biology project. ..
- Zayas Cabán T. Health information management in the home: a human factors assessment. Work. 2012;41:315-28 pubmed publisher..requires that consumers maintain myriad health data and understand how to utilize appropriate health information management applications...
- Hellesø R, Sorensen L, Lorensen M. Nurses' information management across complex health care organizations. Int J Med Inform. 2005;74:960-72 pubmedThe purpose of this study was to describe the information management used by hospital and home care nurses for patients in need of continuing care after an episode of hospitalization. A prospective descriptive design was used...
- Chumley H, Dobbie A, Delzell J. Case-based exercises fail to improve medical students' information management skills: a controlled trial. BMC Med Educ. 2006;6:14 pubmed..apply current information into ambulatory patient encounters, yet few medical schools teach 'real time' information management. We compared two groups of clerkship students' information management skills using a standardized patient ..
- Nakazawa Y. [Development of a tuberculosis information management system in Kanagawa Prefecture]. Kekkaku. 2005;80:75-9 pubmed..Thus, this system has become an essential informational tool in the planning of tuberculosis control strategy. ..
- Moen A, Brennan P. Health@Home: the work of health information management in the household (HIMH): implications for consumer health informatics (CHI) innovations. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2005;12:648-56 pubmedContemporary health care places enormous health information management demands on laypeople. Insights into their skills and habits complements current developments in consumer health innovations, including personal health records...
- Andrews J, Pearce K, Sydney C, Ireson C, Love M. Current state of information technology use in a US primary care practice-based research network. Inform Prim Care. 2004;12:11-8 pubmed..The results suggest that research in this network that would be dependent on or enhanced by IT might be impeded and, generally, greater attention should be given to enhancing the IT infrastructure in primary care. ..
- Monnier S, Cox D, Albion T, Canzian F. T.I.M.S: TaqMan Information Management System, tools to organize data flow in a genotyping laboratory. BMC Bioinformatics. 2005;6:246 pubmed..Laboratories not equipped with a Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) need tools to organize the data flow...
- Kim G, Lehmann C. The impact of the Internet on pediatric medicine. Paediatr Drugs. 2003;5:433-41 pubmed
- Boulos M, Roudsari A, Carson E. Health geomatics: an enabling suite of technologies in health and healthcare. J Biomed Inform. 2001;34:195-219 pubmed
- Anderson N, Lee E, Brockenbrough J, Minie M, Fuller S, Brinkley J, et al. Issues in biomedical research data management and analysis: needs and barriers. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007;14:478-88 pubmed..models as they evolve over time though tools and the leveraging of standards; and 3) develop and support information management service cores that could assist in these previous components while providing researchers with unique data ..
- Houser S, Johnson L. Perceptions regarding electronic health record implementation among health information management professionals in Alabama: a statewide survey and analysis. Perspect Health Inf Manag. 2008;5:6 pubmed..A self-completed survey was mailed to 131 directors in the health information management (HIM) department of Alabama hospitals. Of 91 responding hospitals (69 percent response rate), only 12...
- Kravet S, Wright S, Carrese J. Teaching resource and information management using an innovative case-based conference. J Gen Intern Med. 2001;16:399-403 pubmed..innovative, interdisciplinary conference that teaches housestaff and medical students about resource and information management in the hospital setting...
- Marquard J, Moen A, Brennan P. Photographic data--An untapped resource to explore complex phenomena such as health information management in the household (HIMH). Stud Health Technol Inform. 2006;122:58-62 pubmed..a richer understanding of information artifacts and the context of these artifacts used to support health information management in the household (HIMH). Photographs are an underused data source...
- Weir C, Nebeker J, Hicken B, Campo R, Drews F, Lebar B. A cognitive task analysis of information management strategies in a computerized provider order entry environment. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007;14:65-75 pubmed..The objective of this study is to explore the information management strategies that clinicians use in the process of adapting to a CPOE system using cognitive task analysis ..
- Stansfield S. Structuring information and incentives to improve health. Bull World Health Organ. 2005;83:562 pubmed
- Wang M, Lau C, Matsen F, Kim Y. Personal health information management system and its application in referral management. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2004;8:287-97 pubmed..Patients, physicians, and patient care coordinators reported that their communications were enhanced by the system and found the messaging component convenient to use. ..
- Shiffman R, Brandt C, Liaw Y, Corb G. A design model for computer-based guideline implementation based on information management services. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1999;6:99-103 pubmed..The authors describe a model for computer-based guideline implementation that identifies eight information management services needed to integrate guideline-based decision support with clinical workflow...
- Berman J, Datta M, Kajdacsy Balla A, Melamed J, Orenstein J, Dobbin K, et al. The tissue microarray data exchange specification: implementation by the Cooperative Prostate Cancer Tissue Resource. BMC Bioinformatics. 2004;5:19 pubmed..This article describes an open access implementation of the TMA Data Exchange Specification and provides detailed guidance to researchers who wish to use the Specification. ..
- Jayashree B, Reddy P, Leeladevi Y, Crouch J, Mahalakshmi V, Buhariwalla H, et al. Laboratory Information Management Software for genotyping workflows: applications in high throughput crop genotyping. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:383 pubmed..A laboratory information management system (LIMS) has been designed and implemented at the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-..
- Eden A, Grach M, Goldik Z, Shnaider I, Lazarovici H, Barnett Griness O, et al. The implementation of an anesthesia information management system. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2006;23:882-9 pubmedAnaesthesia information management systems, though still not used widely, will inevitably replace handwritten records and may eventually serve as a core for the development of computerized decision support...
- Liu L, Meier D, Polgar Turcsanyi M, Karkocha P, Bakshi R, Guttmann C. Multiple sclerosis medical image analysis and information management. J Neuroimaging. 2005;15:103S-117S pubmed..The implementation of their system includes a web-form-based Oracle database application for information management and event dispatching, and multiple modules for image processing and analysis...
- Miller D. Risk, science and policy: definitional struggles, information management, the media and BSE. Soc Sci Med. 1999;49:1239-55 pubmed
- Gladwin J, Dixon R, Wilson T. Rejection of an innovation: health information management training materials in east Africa. Health Policy Plan. 2002;17:354-61 pubmed..This paper reports on a research study to investigate the introduction of new information management strategies intended to promote an informational approach to management at the operational health service ..
- Lappas E. Information management in community health and primary care. Health Info Libr J. 2002;19:236-8 pubmed
- Andersson A, Hallberg N, Timpka T. A model for interpreting work and information management in process-oriented healthcare organisations. Int J Med Inform. 2003;72:47-56 pubmed..Few studies have addressed clinical practice and information management in these settings. A case study was performed at a paediatric clinic...
- Luce V, Auroy Y, Ausset S, Luci P, Velay H, Benhamou D. [Intraoperative arterial hypotension recorded by an anaesthesia information management system]. Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2004;23:788-93 pubmed..e. hypotension) event did not disclose any relevant factor that might lead to improvement. Running such databases is time-consuming and may be expensive. This leads us to question the efficiency of such databases. ..
- Avilés W, Ortega O, Kuan G, Coloma J, Harris E. Quantitative assessment of the benefits of specific information technologies applied to clinical studies in developing countries. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;78:311-5 pubmed..In addition to specific advantages, these information technologies benefited not only the study itself but numerous routine clinical and laboratory processes in the health center and laboratories of the Nicaraguan Ministry of Health. ..
- Holt N, Silverman D, Prasad R, Dziura J, Ruskin K. Preanesthesia clinics, information management, and operating room delays: results of a survey of practicing anesthesiologists. Anesth Analg. 2007;104:615-8 pubmed..Possible causes for these delays include failures of information transfer, lack of consensus on criteria for surgical readiness, or other institutional factors. ..
- El Emam K, Jabbouri S, Sams S, Drouet Y, Power M. Evaluating common de-identification heuristics for personal health information. J Med Internet Res. 2006;8:e28 pubmed..Data custodians and researchers need to consider other statistical disclosure techniques for protecting privacy. ..
- Urquhart C, Chambers M, Connor S, Lewis L, Murphy J, Roberts R, et al. Evaluation of distance learning delivery of health information management and health informatics programmes: a UK perspective. Health Info Libr J. 2002;19:146-57 pubmedThe aim of the article is to review evaluations of distance learning programmes in health information management, in order to identify the critical success factors for such programmes and discuss future directions...
- Leonard K, Casselman M, Wiljer D. Who will demand access to their personal health record? A focus on the users of health services and what they want. Healthc Q. 2008;11:92-6 pubmed..Opportunities must be provided to involve 3C in system design, testing and development. ..
- Slawson D, Shaughnessy A. Teaching evidence-based medicine: should we be teaching information management instead?. Acad Med. 2005;80:685-9 pubmed..the best evidence into the real world of busy clinical practice requires the applied science of information management. Clinicians must learn the techniques and skills to focus on finding, evaluating, and using information at ..
- Brigl B, Ammenwerth E, Dujat C, Graber S, Grosse A, Haber A, et al. Preparing strategic information management plans for hospitals: a practical guideline SIM plans for hospitals: a guideline. Int J Med Inform. 2005;74:51-65 pubmedSystematic information management in hospitals demands for a strategic information management plan (SIM plan)...
- Grigorov M. Analysis of time course Omics datasets. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;719:153-72 pubmed publisher..This chapter discusses such algorithms which enable the application of the inverse analysis approach to short Omics time series. ..
- Reed V, Schifferdecker K, Homa K. Improving information management in primary care: the proof is in the pudding. Inform Prim Care. 2008;16:213-20 pubmedGeneralists in both the USA and UK have been at the forefront of improving information management skills, defined here as the abilities required to locate and utilise synthesised information for patient care that is accessible, current, ..
- Longyhore D, Ference K, Nanstiel B. An elective course in information mastery. Am J Pharm Educ. 2011;75:20 pubmed..An elective course in information mastery improved students' knowledge and understanding of information mastery as it pertains to practicing evidence-based medicine. ..
- Rinehart Thompson L. Raising awareness of medical identity theft. For consumers, prevention starts with guarding, monitoring health information. J AHIMA. 2008;79:74-5, 81 pubmed
- Shagam J, Kleiman A. Technological updates in dental photography. Dent Clin North Am. 2011;55:627-33, x-xi pubmed publisher..Adopting professional photographic practices and taking advantage of technological developments in a dental practice can be an invaluable tool in education and documentation. ..
- Prohaska S, Stadler P. The use and abuse of -omes. Methods Mol Biol. 2011;719:173-96 pubmed publisher..Here, we focus on the dark corners of Omics research, where the problems, limitations, conceptual difficulties, and lack of knowledge are hidden. ..
- Till J, Grogan H, Mohler H, Rocco J, Rood A, Mohler S. An integrated approach to data management, risk assessment, and decision making. Health Phys. 2012;102:367-77 pubmed publisher..The fundamental principles used in RACER can be applied anywhere radionuclides or chemicals are present in the environment. ..
- Eberl I, Bartholomeyczik S. [The Belgian Nursing Minimum Data Set II (B-NMDS II) and its transfer to German hospitals: results of the first investigation phase, the translation and adaption process of the instrument]. Pflege. 2010;23:309-19 pubmed publisher..In this article the methodical procedure of the first investigation phase is specified. The translation and adaptation process of the B-NMDS II is executed in a multi-level procedure. ..
- Boo Y, Noh Y, Kim M, Kim S. A study of the difference in volume of information in chief complaint and present illness between electronic and paper medical records. Health Inf Manag. 2012;41:11-6 pubmed..However, further studies are needed to identify how to control the probable loss of information as showed in present illness measured by number of words. ..
- Naqshbandi M, Harris S, Macaulay A, Comeau J, Piché J, Montour Lazare D. Lessons learned in using community-based participatory research to build a national diabetes collaborative in Canada. Prog Community Health Partnersh. 2011;5:405-15 pubmed..Using CBPR on a national scale exacerbates challenges commonly faced with single-site or multisite research, but the benefits provided in developing partnerships based on mutual trust and goals makes it of great importance. ..
- Layman E, Bamberg R, Campbell C, Wark E. Environmental scanning: allied health leaders' selection of strategic information. J Allied Health. 2010;39:11-9 pubmed..The results of this study provide insights on how allied health deans and directors process information in environmental scanning. ..