Summary: The field of information science concerned with the analysis and dissemination of data through the application of computers applied to the field of nursing.
- Klehr J, Hafner J, Spelz L, Steen S, Weaver K. Implementation of standardized nomenclature in the electronic medical record. Int J Nurs Terminol Classif. 2009;20:169-80 pubmed publisher..Use of this evidence-based documentation enhanced institutional leadership in clinical documentation. ..
- Lee T. Patients' perceptions of nurses' bedside use of PDAs. Comput Inform Nurs. 2007;25:106-11 pubmed..These results can be used as a reference for clinicians implementing a point-of-care technology for patient care. ..
- Gonçalves G, Peres H, Rodrigues R, Tronchin D, Pereira I. [Virtual educational proposal in cardiopulmonary resuscitation for the neonate care]. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2010;44:413-20 pubmed..This study may contribute to innovating teaching in nursing from a virtual educational proposal on the important issue of newborn cardiopulmonary resuscitation care. ..
- Hou I, Yu H, Hwang Y, Cheng J, Wu R, Chang P. The evaluation of the nurses' work performance after nursing information system implementation in one medical center in Taiwan. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2009;146:708 pubmed..Nurses' work performance was measured by time observation. The results of research showed that PAND increased the nurses' work performance 19.7% and PED increase the nurses' performance 2.8%. ..
- Lima A, de Oliveira Melo T. [Nurses' perception regarding the implementation of computer-based clinical nursing documentation]. Rev Esc Enferm USP. 2012;46:175-83 pubmed
- Carter Templeton H. Nurses' information appraisal within the clinical setting. Comput Inform Nurs. 2013;31:167-75; quiz 176-7 pubmed publisher..Knowledge gained from this study may be used by nurse educators in the academic and clinical setting as they work to deliver relevant information that facilitates providing the highest-quality care. ..
- Oermann M. Hit the Web to help guide your practice. Nurs Manage. 2007;38:20-1 pubmed
- Budgen S. "We need to be savvy in computer literacy and in managing information". Nurs Times. 2006;102:12 pubmed
- Simpson R. Information technology: building nursing intellectual capital for the information age. Nurs Adm Q. 2007;31:84-8 pubmed..To gain and retain value as intellectual capital, nursing likewise must evolve from a vocation of task performers to a profession of knowledge-workers. Information technology can transform nursing tasks into nursing knowledge. ..
- Scandurra I, Hägglund M, Koch S. Visualisation and interaction design solutions to address specific demands in shared home care. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2006;124:71-6 pubmed..The user interface is adapted to different user groups with similar yet distinct needs. Consequently different views supporting cooperative work and presenting shared information in holistic overviews are developed. ..
- Rastinehad D. Online informatics education: Challenges and lessons learned. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2006;122:1008 pubmed..includes an overview of the informatics curriculum and explores the issues related to providing a nursing informatics curriculum at a distance...
- Viitanen J, Kuusisto A, Nykanen P. Usability of electronic nursing record systems: definition and results from an evaluation study in Finland. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2011;164:333-8 pubmed..These findings suggest usability problems having significant effects on nurses' documentation practices and nursing work. ..
- Tosh Kennedy T. Lynn Nagle is a tireless champion of health informatics. Can Nurse. 2008;104:35-6 pubmed
- Peace J, Brennan P. Formalizing nursing knowledge: from theories and models to ontologies. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2009;146:347-51 pubmed..Our experience provides an example of how knowledge representations may be created to facilitate electronic support for nursing practice and knowledge development. ..
- Lovis C, Ball M, Boyer C, Elkin P, Ishikawa K, Jaffe C, et al. Hospital and health information systems - Current perspectives. Contribution of the IMIA Health Information Systems Working Group. Yearb Med Inform. 2011;6:73-82 pubmed..As we continue to work to develop next-generation HISs, we must remember the lessons of the past as we strive to develop the solutions for tomorrow. ..
- Sensmeier J. The future of IT? Aggressive educational reform. TIGER initiative preps nurses for healthcare's digital era. Nurs Manage. 2007;Suppl:2, 4, 6 passim pubmed
- Elisa R, Heimar M. Nursing minimum data set: A literature review. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2006;122:734-7 pubmed..The increasing interest on the use of these data sets can be explained by the necessity of consistent and available information at the shortest length of time possible. ..
- Milton C. Information and human freedom: nursing implications and ethical decision-making in the 21st century. Nurs Sci Q. 2007;20:33-6 pubmed..Discussion focuses on the disciplinary responsibilities for information giving and receiving; coming to know, human freedom, and decision-making in the human-universe-health process. ..
- Looman W, Erickson M, Garwick A, Cady R, Kelly A, Pettey C, et al. Meaningful use of data in care coordination by the advanced practice RN: the TeleFamilies project. Comput Inform Nurs. 2012;30:649-54 pubmed publisher..The advanced practice nurse's ability to maintain an updated plan of care that is shared across providers and systems and build a relationship over time with the patient and family supports meaningful use of these data. ..
- Skiba D, Barton A. Using social software to transform informatics education. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2009;146:608-12 pubmed..This paper describes how an informatics education program is educating their students to use social software as learners as well as practicing informatics specialists. ..
- Cox T. Nursing research in 2050. Nurs Sci Q. 2007;20:206-8 pubmed
- Alvarez A, Dal Sasso G. Virtual learning object for the simulated evaluation of acute pain in nursing students. Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. 2011;19:229-37 pubmed..The application of the technology has brought positive results for learning about pain evaluation, contributing to fill the gap in the teaching of the thematic. ..
- Ford J. Facilitating the transformation of information technology: strategies for nurse administrators. Ky Nurse. 2012;60:3-4 pubmed..The nurse administrator's role is to ensure that technological systems are transformed effectively and that financial, ethical, and legal implications are considered. ..
- Damrongsak M, Brown K. Data security in occupational health. AAOHN J. 2008;56:417-21 pubmed..Occupational health nurses must protect the personal health information of employees by proactively developing methods to ensure data security. ..
- Simpson R. Chief nurse executives need contemporary informatics competencies. Nurs Econ. 2013;31:277-87; quiz 288 pubmed..A new study identifies and validates the gaps between selected CNEs' self-identified informatics competencies and those set out by AONE (Simpson, 2012). ..
- Burrington Brown J. Transforming nursing through EHRs. J AHIMA. 2008;79:62-3 pubmed
- Karnas J, Robles J. Informatics: touching the soul of health care. Creat Nurs. 2007;13:3 pubmed
- Stuttle B. Only connect. Interview by Carol Harris. Community Pract. 2007;80:14 pubmed
- Carrington J, Gephart S, Verran J, Finley B. Development of an Instrument to Measure the Unintended Consequences of EHRs. West J Nurs Res. 2015;37:842-58 pubmed publisher..The process for accomplishing this goal has often been omitted from the literature. We contend that other researchers will find this methods article informative for similar undertakings. ..
- Chang C, Lee T, Liu C, Mills M. Nurses' Experiences of an Initial and Reimplemented Electronic Health Record Use. Comput Inform Nurs. 2016;34:183-90 pubmed publisher..It concluded that user-friendly design and support by informatics technology and manpower backup would facilitate this adoption process as well. ..
- Bradshaw W. Importance of nursing leadership in advancing evidence-based nursing practice. Neonatal Netw. 2010;29:117-22 pubmed..Evidence-based practice] is essential to practicing safely as nurses (p. 53).1. ..
- Albright B. Taking their own pulses. Informatics nurses understand they are walking a fine line. Healthc Inform. 2007;24:12-3 pubmed
- Sorensen L, Shaw R, Casey E. Patient portals: survey of nursing informaticists. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2009;146:160-5 pubmed..and what plans each institution had for future directions. ..
- Russell J. How technology solutions can impact nursing retention. Nurs Econ. 2008;26:188-90 pubmed..Electronic medical records/computer provider order entry, communication via technology, facility design, staffing software, and a nursing innovation center are examined. ..
- Whittemore D, Moll J. COWs WOWs, oh my! Focusing on the needs of nurses can help hospital IT departments make the best technology decisions and improve care giving at the bedside. Health Manag Technol. 2008;29:32, 34 pubmed
- Effken J, Gephart S, Brewer B, Carley K. Using *ORA, a network analysis tool, to assess the relationship of handoffs to quality and safety outcomes. Comput Inform Nurs. 2013;31:36-44 pubmed publisher..This exploratory project demonstrates the power of *ORA to identify communication patterns for large groups, such as patient care units. *ORA's network metrics can then be related to specific patient outcomes. ..
- Gassert C, Sward K. Phase I implementation of an academic medical record for integrating information management competencies into a nursing curriculum. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2007;129:1392-5 pubmed..The paper discusses the implementation strategies used and initial results of this project. Plans for expanding the project throughout the nursing curriculum are also presented. ..
- Kuziemsky C, Varpio L, Hall P, Casimiro L, Leipe E, Weaver L, et al. Health information systems design to support a nursing model of care: opportunities and challenges. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2009;143:177-85 pubmed..We then discuss how the nursing model will be affected by automation using different HISs. ..
- Patterson R, Carter Templeton H, Russell C. Information literacy: using LISTEN project strategies to equip nurses worldwide. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2009;146:652-6 pubmed..The website and video have generated worldwide interest. Future possibilities include nationwide implementation and adaptation for the international arena. ..
- Sebastian J, White Delaney C. Doctor of Nursing Practice programs: opportunities for faculty development. J Nurs Educ. 2013;52:453-61 pubmed publisher..Linking new care delivery models with health informatics is expected to facilitate rapid translation of research and development of improvements in practice. ..
- Betts H, Wright G. Observations on sustainable and ubiquitous healthcare informatics from Florence Nightingale. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2009;146:91-5 pubmed..The paper concludes by suggesting that in progressing towards sustainable and ubiquitous healthcare informatics we need to study history in order to learn from the lessons of Florence Nightingale and other healthcare pioneers. ..
- Cibulka N, Crane Wider L. Introducing personal digital assistants to enhance nursing education in undergraduate and graduate nursing programs. J Nurs Educ. 2011;50:115-8 pubmed publisher..Use of mobile technologies is an important competency that will improve the quality of nursing practice and therefore should be included in nursing curricula. ..
- Flanagan J, Jones D. Nursing language in a time of change: capturing the focus of the discipline. Int J Nurs Terminol Classif. 2007;18:1-2 pubmed
- Durham C, Sherwood G. Education to bridge the quality gap: a case study approach. Urol Nurs. 2008;28:431-8, 453 pubmed..This article presents an unfolding case study simulation for urinary tract infection highlighting Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) competencies. ..
- Choi J, De Martinis J. Nursing informatics competencies: assessment of undergraduate and graduate nursing students. J Clin Nurs. 2013;22:1970-6 pubmed publisher..Data were collected from 289 nursing students using a 30-item Self-Assessment of Nursing Informatics Competencies Scale via an email sent to students using a LISTSERV mailing list...