Summary: Libraries in which a major proportion of the resources are available in machine-readable format, rather than on paper or MICROFORM.
- Kronenfeld M. Trends in academic health sciences libraries and their emergence as the "knowledge nexus" for their academic health centers. J Med Libr Assoc. 2005;93:32-9 pubmed..The paper then concludes with some examples or ideas for research to assist in this process. ..
- Liao C, Liu B, Shi L, Zhou J, Lu X. Construction of a virtual combinatorial library using SMILES strings to discover potential structure-diverse PPAR modulators. Eur J Med Chem. 2005;40:632-40 pubmed..The method to construct virtual combinatorial library using SMILES strings was further visualized by Visual Basic.net that can facilitate the needs of generating other type virtual combinatorial libraries. ..
- Hatfield A, Kelley S. Case study: lessons learned through digitizing the National Commission for the Protection of Human Subjects of Biomedical and Behavioral Research Collection. J Med Libr Assoc. 2007;95:267-70 pubmed
- Turmezei T, Tam M, Loughna S. A survey of medical students on the impact of a new digital imaging library in the dissection room. Clin Anat. 2009;22:761-9 pubmed publisher..Hopefully other centers can benefit from this experience and will consider such a venture to be worthwhile. ..
- KATRITCH V, Jaakola V, Lane J, Lin J, Ijzerman A, Yeager M, et al. Structure-based discovery of novel chemotypes for adenosine A(2A) receptor antagonists. J Med Chem. 2010;53:1799-809 pubmed publisher..High success rate, novelty, and diversity of the chemical scaffolds and strong ligand efficiency of the A(2A)AR antagonists identified in this study suggest practical applicability of receptor-based VLS in GPCR drug discovery. ..
- Cataldi A. [The RCN go to SciELO]. Rev Argent Microbiol. 2006;38:117-8 pubmed
- Homan J. Eyes on the prize: reflections on the impact of the evolving digital ecology on the librarian as expert intermediary and knowledge coach, 1969-2009. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010;98:49-56 pubmed publisher..Librarian-mediated services linking knowledge and critical decision making in health care have become more valuable than ever as technology continues to reshape an increasingly complex knowledge environment. ..
- Marinai S, Marino E, Soda G. Font adaptive word indexing of modern printed documents. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 2006;28:1187-99 pubmed..Nowadays, digital libraries hold collections of digitized documents that can be retrieved either by browsing the document images or ..
- Bruce B. Neuro-ophthalmology Internet digital media library. Neurology. 2006;67:E10 pubmed
- Bai V, Murali V, Kim R, Srivatsa S. Teleophthalmology-based rural eye care in India. Telemed J E Health. 2007;13:313-21 pubmed..These have proven successful in the state of Tamilnadu, India, both in rural and secondary healthcare centers. ..
- Al Hajeri A, Al Sayyad J, Eisinga A. Handsearching the EMHJ for reports of randomized controlled trials by U.K. Cochrane Centre (Bahrain). East Mediterr Health J. 2006;12 Suppl 2:S253-7 pubmed..Reports identified were sent to the UK Cochrane Centre for verification and publication in The Cochrane Central Register of Controlled Trials (CENTRAL). ..
- Beebe D. Public access success at PubMed. Science. 2006;313:1571-2 pubmed
- Novak K, Mirić D, Jurin A, Vukojevic K, Aljinovic J, Caric A, et al. Awareness and use of evidence-based medicine databases and Cochrane Library among physicians in Croatia. Croat Med J. 2010;51:157-64 pubmed..There is low awareness about EBM and The Cochrane Library among physicians in Croatia, which creates a need for educational interventions about EBM for the benefit of health care in Croatia. ..
- Irwin J, Shoichet B. ZINC--a free database of commercially available compounds for virtual screening. J Chem Inf Model. 2005;45:177-82 pubmed..Users can process their own molecules by uploading them to a server. Our hope is that this database will bring virtual screening libraries to a wide community of structural biologists and medicinal chemists. ..
- Tbahriti I, Chichester C, Lisacek F, Ruch P. Using argumentation to retrieve articles with similar citations: an inquiry into improving related articles search in the MEDLINE digital library. Int J Med Inform. 2006;75:488-95 pubmed..A linear weighting combination of the moves is proposed, which significantly improves retrieval of related articles. ..
- Kamel Boulos M. Map of dermatology: 'first-impression' user feedback and agenda for further development. Health Info Libr J. 2006;23:203-13 pubmed..When successfully developed, the proposed tool is expected to have significant potential for efficiently and effectively addressing many of the currently unmet educational needs of clinicians. ..
- Ruch P, Boyer C, Chichester C, Tbahriti I, Geissbuhler A, Fabry P, et al. Using argumentation to extract key sentences from biomedical abstracts. Int J Med Inform. 2007;76:195-200 pubmed..For the CONCLUSION class, the F-score reaches 84%. Automatic argumentative classification using Bayesian learners is feasible on MEDLINE abstracts and should help user navigation in such repositories. ..
- Peri D, Ardizzone E, Gaglio S, Gerbino A, Buscemi M, Mandracchia R, et al. Three-dimensional geometrical models of the liver. Ital J Anat Embryol. 2006;111:23-30 pubmed..This approach represents an amazing support to clinical anatomy for teaching and research. ..
- Barroso J, Edlin A, Sandelowski M, Lambe C. Bridging the gap between research and practice: The development of a digital library of research syntheses. Comput Inform Nurs. 2006;24:85-94 pubmed..It provides a concise and comprehensive compilation of findings in two major areas of concern for the seropositive women who were the participants in the studies: motherhood and stigma. ..
- Dearnley C, Dunn G, Watson S. An exploration of on-line access by non-traditional students in higher education: a case study. Nurse Educ Today. 2006;26:409-15 pubmed..The paper explores this issue in depth and suggests potential ways forward for the delivery of technology supported learning for 'non-traditional' students in Higher Education. ..
- Reynolds K, KATRITCH V, Abagyan R. Identifying conformational changes of the beta(2) adrenoceptor that enable accurate prediction of ligand/receptor interactions and screening for GPCR modulators. J Comput Aided Mol Des. 2009;23:273-88 pubmed publisher..A general strategy for constructing and selecting agonist-bound receptor pocket conformations is presented, which may prove broadly useful in creating agonist and antagonist bound models for other GPCRs. ..
- Hull D, Pettifer S, Kell D. Defrosting the digital library: bibliographic tools for the next generation web. PLoS Comput Biol. 2008;4:e1000204 pubmed publisher..bibliographic information electronically, thereby organizing their publications and citation material from digital libraries. However, a library has been described as "thought in cold storage," and unfortunately many ..
- Köppen H. Virtual screening - what does it give us?. Curr Opin Drug Discov Devel. 2009;12:397-407 pubmed..This review addresses the current status of virtual screening, highlighting achievements as well as challenges, along with the value of virtual screening, and recent examples of successful applications. ..
- Talevi A, Prieto J, Bruno Blanch L, Castro E. New similarity-based algorithm and its application to classification of anticonvulsant compounds. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2007;22:253-65 pubmed..The proposed model may then be useful in the identification of new anticonvulsant agents through virtual screening of large virtual libraries of chemical structures. ..
- Arnesen S, Cid V, Scott J, Perez R, Zervaas D. The Central American Network for Disaster and Health Information. J Med Libr Assoc. 2007;95:316-22 pubmed..CANDHI members assist their institutions and countries in a variety of disaster preparedness activities through collecting and disseminating information. ..
- Strayer S, Slawson D, Shaughnessy A. Disseminating drug prescribing information: the cox-2 inhibitors withdrawals. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2006;13:396-8 pubmed..Institutional electronic textbooks took an average of 109.8 days (+/-14 days) to report the withdrawal. In addition, one pharma-sponsored dissemination source (Peerview Press) had not updated their information as of this publication. ..
- Stebbins M, Davis E, Royland L, White G. Public access failure at PubMed. Science. 2006;313:43 pubmed
- Hinze A, Buchanan G, Jung D, Adams A. HDLalert - a healthcare DL alerting system: from user needs to implementation. Health Informatics J. 2006;12:121-35 pubmed..We introduce a novel alerting architecture that can provide a finely tailored stream of alerts to the user, and provides further support to assist the interpretation of received material. ..
- Kahn C. Effective metadata discovery for dynamic filtering of queries to a radiology image search engine. J Digit Imaging. 2008;21:269-73 pubmed..Automated techniques can accurately discover age, sex, and imaging modality metadata from captions of figures published in radiology journals. The metadata can be used to dynamically filter queries for an image search engine. ..
- Schutt M, Hightower B. Enhancing RN-to-BSN students' information literacy skills through the use of instructional technology. J Nurs Educ. 2009;48:101-5 pubmed..In addition, synchronous classroom meeting software was used by the librarian to reach students in the distance learning environment. Recommendations for module modifications and faculty, librarian, and student evaluations are offered. ..
- Evans J. Electronic publication and the narrowing of science and scholarship. Science. 2008;321:395-9 pubmed publisher..Searching online is more efficient and following hyperlinks quickly puts researchers in touch with prevailing opinion, but this may accelerate consensus and narrow the range of findings and ideas built upon. ..
- Gorman P, Yao P, Seshadri V. Finding the answers in primary care: information seeking by rural and nonrural clinicians. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2004;107:1133-7 pubmed..Human consultants, digital resources, and library-based resources were less available, but these differences in availability had little impact on their use. ..
- Ranzinger R, Frank M, Von der Lieth C, Herget S. Glycome-DB.org: a portal for querying across the digital world of carbohydrate sequences. Glycobiology. 2009;19:1563-7 pubmed publisher..With GlycomeDB (www.glycome-db.org), it is now possible to use a single portal to access all digitally encoded, public structural data in glycomics and to perform complex queries with the help of a web-based user interface. ..
- Butler D. France takes on Google in scanning race. Nature. 2005;434:425 pubmed
- Barata R. [SciELO Public Health: the performance of Cadernos de Saúde Pública and Revista de Saúde Pública]. Cad Saude Publica. 2007;23:3031-40 pubmed..The most common themes were health services organization (22%), nutrition (22%), health and work (18%), epidemiology (12%), and environmental health (12%). ..
- Gonzalez de Dios J, Sempere A, Aleixandre Benavent R. [Biomedical publications in Spain on debate (II): the on-going 'revolutions' and their application to neurological journals]. Rev Neurol. 2007;44:101-12 pubmed
- Wink D. Teaching with technology: finding information on the internet. Nurse Educ. 2009;34:51-3 pubmed publisher..Web-based search tools including Internet search engines, organizational databases, and those at the library will be discussed. Techniques to evaluate the validity, usefulness, and applicability of search outcomes are included. ..
- Green D, Pickett S. Methods for library design and optimisation. Mini Rev Med Chem. 2004;4:1067-76 pubmed
- Schilling L, Kelly D, Drake A, Heilig L, Hester E, Dellavalle R. Digital information archiving policies in high-impact medical and scientific periodicals. JAMA. 2004;292:2724-6 pubmed
- Schopfer U, Andreae M, Hueber M, Saur A, Kummer M, Girod M, et al. Compound Hub: efficiency gains through innovative sample management processes. Comb Chem High Throughput Screen. 2007;10:283-7 pubmed
- Scollato A, Perrini P, Benedetto N, Di Lorenzo N. A professional and cost effective digital video editing and image storage system for the operating room. J Neurosurg Sci. 2007;51:103-6 pubmed..The use of firewire ports provides good compatibility with next-generation hardware and software. The high standard of quality makes the proposed system one of the lowest priced products available today. ..
- Jeronimo J, Massad L, Castle P, Wacholder S, Schiffman M. Interobserver agreement in the evaluation of digitized cervical images. Obstet Gynecol. 2007;110:833-40 pubmed..Researchers should question the use of colposcopic images as a reference standard for teaching and evaluating the presence or severity of disease. ..
- Williams A, Giuse N, Koonce T, Kou Q, Giuse D. Using knowledge management practices to develop a state-of-the-art digital library. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2004;107:99-103 pubmed..EBL's Digital Library exemplifies a clear attempt to organize institutional knowledge in the field of librarianship, in an effort to positively impact clinical, research, and educational processes in the medical center. ..
- dos S, Marin H, Marques I, Cunha I. [Application of the technique of analytical structure of project for the sub-project of websites catalog of the Virtual Health Library-Nursing]. Rev Bras Enferm. 2007;60:716-20 pubmed..The benefits of graphical visualization for a major agreement between professionals of different expertise are presented. ..
- Starr S, Williams J. The long tail: a usage analysis of pre-1993 print biomedical journal literature. J Med Libr Assoc. 2008;96:20-7 pubmed publisher..The older biomedical print journal literature appears to be of continued value to the biomedical research community. When electronic access was provided to the older literature, demand for older print volumes declined dramatically. ..
- Kinally B, Stocking M. An introduction to Turning the Pages. J Vis Commun Med. 2007;30:101-4 pubmed
- Derbew M, Beveridge M, Howard A, Byrne N. Building surgical research capacity in Africa: the Ptolemy Project. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e305 pubmed
- Tannery N, Wessel C, Epstein B, Gadd C. Hospital nurses' use of knowledge-based information resources. Nurs Outlook. 2007;55:15-9 pubmed..The study outcome suggests ready access to knowledge-based electronic information resources can lead to changes in behavior among some nurses. ..
- Marshall E. Scientific publishing. A mixed bag of U.K. open-access plans. Science. 2006;313:29-30 pubmed
- Kroth P, Aspinall E, Phillips H. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) Policy on Enhancing Public Access: tracking institutional contribution rates. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:279-83 pubmed
- Schwid H. Open-source shared case library. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;132:442-5 pubmed..This experience indicates a strong interest in obtaining free cases, but only modest willingness to share new scenarios among authors and institutions. ..