integrated advanced information management systems
Summary: A concept, developed in 1983 under the aegis of and supported by the National Library of Medicine under the name of Integrated Academic Information Management Systems, to provide professionals in academic health sciences centers and health sciences institutions with convenient access to an integrated and comprehensive network of knowledge. It addresses a wide cross-section of users from administrators and faculty to students and clinicians and has applications to planning, clinical and managerial decision-making, teaching, and research. It provides access to various types of clinical, management, educational, etc., databases, as well as to research and bibliographic databases. In August 1992 the name was changed from Integrated Academic Information Management Systems to Integrated Advanced Information Management Systems to reflect use beyond the academic milieu.
- Potamias G, Tsiknakis M, Katehakis D, Karabela E, Moustakis V, Orphanoudakis S. Role-based access to patients clinical data: the InterCare approach in the region of Crete. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2000;77:1074-9 pubmed..The administration of the national healthcare organizations' business rules, for different user-groups, is made via a specially tailored and developed rule-editor. ..
- Geyer E, Irish D. Isolated to integrated: an evolving medical informatics curriculum. Med Ref Serv Q. 2008;27:451-61 pubmed publisher..Web-based self-paced tutorials have replaced many classroom sessions, and Web 2.0 technologies have been introduced. Collaborations with clinical and basic science faculty in other themes supplement and strengthen the theme. ..
- Greenes R. Decision support at the point of care: challenges in knowledge representation, management, and patient-specific access. Adv Dent Res. 2003;17:69-73 pubmed..Numerous approaches are being pursued, all of which will be described in this presentation. ..
- Pietrobon R, Shah A, Kuo P, Harker M, McCready M, Butler C, et al. Duke Surgery Research Central: an open-source Web application for the improvement of compliance with research regulation. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2006;6:32 pubmed..It is hoped that its release as an open-source application will promote improved and streamlined regulatory processes for individual academic centers as well as larger research networks. ..
- Fuller S. Regional health information systems: applying the IAIMS model. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1997;4:S47-51 pubmed..The challenges of aligning the various information agencies and agendas in support or a regional health information system are complex; however, the potential rewards for health care in quality, efficacy, and cost savings are enormous. ..
- Brochhausen M, Blobel B. Architectural approach for providing relations in biomedical terminologies and ontologies. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2011;169:739-43 pubmed..We present a strategy based on an architectural approach to facility formal analysis of relations for use in ontology systems in biomedicine and in general. ..
- Yokoi H, Fujino M. Activities for endoscopy information systems standardization in Japan. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:5667-70 pubmed..The authors will propose a scheme for systematic standardization based on our experiences in the standardization activities. ..
- D Alessandro M, Galvin J, Erkonen W, Curry D, Flanagan J, D Alessandro D, et al. The Virtual Hospital: an IAIMS integrating continuing education into the work flow. MD Comput. 1996;13:323-9 pubmed..This IAIMS serves a statewide population. Its design and evolution have been heavily influenced by user-centered evaluation. ..
- Linzbach M, Eich H, Ohmann C. [Integrated clinical guidelines]. Kongressbd Dtsch Ges Chir Kongr. 2002;119:883-6 pubmed
- Reiss M, Reiss G. [The new features of the bibliography database manager EndNote 6.0 and 7.0]. Praxis (Bern 1994). 2005;94:379-83 pubmed..0 and also 7.0 provides an excellent combination of features and ease of use. The versions 6.0 or 7.0 are useful especially for people, who every single day use EndNote. EndNote 7.0 is for user of a Palm a special recommendable version. ..
- Anguita A, Martín L, Crespo J, Tsiknakis M. An ontology based method to solve query identifier heterogeneity in post-genomic clinical trials. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;136:3-8 pubmed..Finally, we illustrate the solution by analysing a set of real queries. ..
- Honeyman Buck J. PACS adoption. Semin Roentgenol. 2003;38:256-69 pubmed..Hopefully, this article can serve as a starting point for a potential new PACS adoption. ..
- Altmann U, Tafazzoli A, Katz F, Dudeck J. XML-based application interface services--a method to enhance integrability of disease specific systems. Int J Med Inform. 2002;68:27-37 pubmed..Another application using the services is the transfer of data between two registries with common patients. ..
- Romá Ferri M, Palomar M. [Analysis of health terminologies for use as ontologies in healthcare information systems]. Gac Sanit. 2008;22:421-33 pubmed
- Chen W, Liu M. [Research on SOA for hospital information system]. Zhongguo Yi Liao Qi Xie Za Zhi. 2010;34:378-80 pubmed..Finally it will meet a variety of needs related with management and business in hospital, adapting quickly to changes. ..
- Coward J. The BC health information standards council. Int J Med Inform. 1998;48:43-7 pubmed..This focus has resulted in approved and mandated informatics standards for use across the health system in the areas of data, applications, technology, security, confidentiality and privacy. ..
- Liu X, Yao H. [Research on the application of RAC technology in hospital information system]. Zhongguo Yi Liao Qi Xie Za Zhi. 2010;34:302-5 pubmed..This paper presents a way to carry out the RAC technology in hospital, researches the key technologies of RAC, the result shows that performance of database is greatly improved by RAC technology. ..
- Tsiknakis M, Katehakis D, Orphanoudakis S. An open, component-based information infrastructure for integrated health information networks. Int J Med Inform. 2002;68:3-26 pubmed..Finally, Human Computer Interaction (HCI) and security issues, which are important for the deployment and use of any I-EHR service, are considered. ..
- Liu C, Jiang Z, Zhen L, Su H. A bilateral integrative health-care knowledge service mechanism based on 'MedGrid'. Comput Biol Med. 2008;38:446-60 pubmed publisher..Each level and detailed contents are described on MedGrid info-structure. Moreover, a new diagnosis and treatment mechanism are formed by technically connecting with electronic health-care records (EHRs). ..
- Stead W. The evolution of the IAIMS: lessons for the next decade. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1997;4:S4-9; discussion S10-1 pubmed..Area IAIMSs have the potential to transform biomedicine by enabling new paradigms for manpower development and publication of information. ..
- Frisse M. IAIMS: planning for change. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1997;4:S13-9 pubmed..In these circumstances, planning takes on a different light. This paper outlines approaches to IAIMS planning in various environments and provides a framework for IAIMS planning in rapidly changing environments. ..
- de Toledo P, Lalinde W, del Pozo F, Thurber D, Jimenez Fernandez S. Interoperability of a mobile health care solution with electronic healthcare record systems. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:5214-7 pubmed..This paper describes the design of a connectivity interface based on the HL7 standard that allows the MOTOHEALTH mobile health care solution to communicate with external electronic healthcare record systems supporting HL7. ..
- Robinson J. Jean Pugh Shipman AHIP, Medical Library Association President 2006-2007. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:249-52 pubmed
- Fuchs C, Quinzio L, Benson M, Michel A, Röhrig R, Quinzio B, et al. Integration of a handheld based anaesthesia rounding system into an anaesthesia information management system. Int J Med Inform. 2006;75:553-63 pubmed..Changing from redundant data entry in the OR to direct electronic recording at the patient's bedside seems simply logical. Handheld computers are inexpensive, flexible gadgets to realize this. ..
- Glover S. Biomedical information @ the speed of light: implementing desktop access to publishers' resources at the Paterson Institute for Cancer Research. Health Info Libr J. 2001;18:125-9 pubmed..As a means of promoting electronic journal use, a system of e-mail delivery coupled with fast Internet access has allowed a migration from paper-based current awareness alerting to a seamless online product. ..
- Flanders A, Carrino J. Understanding DICOM and IHE. Semin Roentgenol. 2003;38:270-81 pubmed
- Schrader T, Beckwith B, Rojo M, Gilbertson J, Daniel C. [Anatomic pathology workflow. IHE: modeling based on current developments in HL7 and DICOM]. Pathologe. 2008;29 Suppl 2:308-13 pubmed publisher..In particular, a consistent data model for incoming material, containers, cartridges and slides has been developed and approved by the standards committee. ..
- Bernstein K, Andersen U. Managing care pathways combining SNOMED CT, archetypes and an electronic guideline system. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2008;136:353-8 pubmed..The proposal also includes the use of a National Patient Index for storing data about the patient's position in the pathway and for sharing this information by all involved parties. ..
- Miller P. Aspects of IAIMS implementation that require further research. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1997;4:S52-61; discussion S62-4 pubmed..The paper discusses 1) levels of integration where IAIMS has been successfully pursued to date and 2) challenging areas in which research is required to approach the full potential of the IAIMS in the future. ..
- Anderson L, Stafford C. The "big bang" implementation: not for the faint of heart. Comput Nurs. 2002;20:14-20; quiz 20-2 pubmed..This article outlines how the University of Missouri Health Care addressed these operational concerns during this dramatic information system conversion. ..
- O Donoughue N, Kulkarni S, Marzella D. Design and implementation of a framework for monitoring patients in hospitals using wireless sensors in ad hoc configuration. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:6449-52 pubmed..The prototyped product was successfully demonstrated to industry representatives, in November 2005, at Villanova University, PA. ..
- Khorasani R. Medical management: expanding radiologists' role using information technology to improve the quality of care. Semin Roentgenol. 2003;38:282-6 pubmed
- Wright A, Goldberg H, Hongsermeier T, Middleton B. A description and functional taxonomy of rule-based decision support content at a large integrated delivery network. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007;14:489-96 pubmed..These taxa can be directly mapped to functions of clinical systems and decision support systems, providing feature guidance for developers, implementers, and certifiers of clinical information systems. ..
- Caro D. The axis and nexus of e-health alliances in 2020. Can J Public Health. 2005;96:291-3 pubmed
- Schwartz A, Millam G. A web-based library consult service for evidence-based medicine: Technical development. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2006;6:16 pubmed..A web-based EBM library consult model may provide a useful way for informationists to assist clinicians, and is feasible to implement. ..
- Barnes B, Friedman C, Rosenberg J, Russell J, Beedle A, Levine A. Creating an infrastructure for training in the responsible conduct of research: the University of Pittsburgh's experience. Acad Med. 2006;81:119-27 pubmed..embedded in the philosophy, organizational structure, and technology developed through the Integrated Advanced Information Management Systems grant from the National Library of Medicine...
- Kwiatkowski K, Brennan P. Linking personal and public health information: a vision for community-centered health information systems. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2001;84:33-7 pubmed..institution-based model to a distributed process occurring largely in the communities, Integrated Advanced Information Management Systems (IAIMS) initiatives must also move toward addressing the challenges of integrating health ..
- Selsky D, Eisenberg F, Spena R, Hersh W, Price S, Buitendijk H. Knowledge integration: insight through the E-portal. J Healthc Inf Manag. 2001;15:13-24 pubmed
- Ogborne A, Braun K, Rush B. Developing an integrated information system for specialized addiction treatment agencies. J Behav Health Serv Res. 1998;25:100-7 pubmed..An overview of the system's development is provided and the implementation of one subcomponent, a client-tracking system, is described. Some challenges to the implementation of this component are identified. ..
- Li X, Xue H, Zhang E, Wu Z. [The management of the virtual secondary library for medical consumables and its systematic application and development]. Zhongguo Yi Liao Qi Xie Za Zhi. 2010;34:300-1 pubmed
- Stokes T, Phan J, Quo C, Nie S, Wang M. Bio-nano-informatics: an integrated information management system for personalized oncology. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:3325-8 pubmed..Here we have developed an "intelligent" information system for data management, interpretation, and for translation of new results to clinical applications. ..
- Anderson J. Information technology for detecting medication errors and adverse drug events. Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2004;3:449-55 pubmed..At the present time, most healthcare systems should be able to use IT to detect and prevent ADEs. ..
- Matsopoulos G, Kouloulias V, Asvestas P, Mouravliansky N, Delibasis K, Demetriades D. MITIS: a WWW-based medical system for managing and processing gynecological-obstetrical-radiological data. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2004;76:53-71 pubmed..MITIS is composed as a set of independent WWW modules (ISAPI server extension dlls) and a Win32 application (COM+ server) for mammography image processing and evaluation. ..
- Hadley A, Cohen A. From information jungle trails to superhighways for health caregivers in the Pacific. Pac Health Dialog. 2002;9:242-5 pubmed..In this way medical services can now readily access a wider network of health information. ..
- Popovich M, Henderson J, Stinn J. Information technology in the age of emergency public health response. The framework for an integrated disease surveillance system for rapid detection, tracking, and managing of public health threats. IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag. 2002;21:48-55 pubmed
- Migeot V, Ingrand P, Salmi L. [Which health information systems for the evaluation of health actions?]. Rev Epidemiol Sante Publique. 2000;48:551-60 pubmed
- Xu Y, Sauquet D, Zapletal E, Lemaitre D, Degoulet P. Integration of medical applications: the 'mediator service' of the SynEx platform. Int J Med Inform. 2000;58-59:157-66 pubmed..The use of the XML technology as a powerful data interchange format and as an efficient data structure converter is proposed and discussed. ..
- Link H, Poliwoda H. [Consultation per video-conferencing with regional hospitals: the MEDKOM project of the Hannover Medical University]. Zentralbl Gynakol. 1999;121:23-4 pubmed..It is now a well recognized and established system being applied for 270 sessions and for 1100 Patients per year. It is an integrated part of the co-operation, also allows medical education and quality improvement. ..
- Detmer D. The future of the IAIMS in a managed care environment: a call for private action and public investment. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1997;4:S65-71; discussion S72 pubmed..These forces will strengthen or weaken health care in the next century depending on whether and how the nation--including the leadership in health care and the informatics community--responds to this challenge. ..
- Hripcsak G. IAIMS architecture. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1997;4:S20-30 pubmed..Several IAIMS sites have adopted a client-server architecture, and some have adopted a three-tiered approach, separating user interface functions, application logic, and repositories. ..
- Grajek S, Calarco P, Frawley S, McKay J, Miller P, Paton J, et al. Evaluating IAIMS at Yale: information access. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1997;4:138-49 pubmed..Other institutions are advised to incorporate pragmatic evaluation into their IAIMS activities and to share evaluation results with decision-makers. ..