computer assisted therapy
Summary: Computer systems utilized as adjuncts in the treatment of disease.
- Spek V, Cuijpers P, Nyklicek I, Smits N, Riper H, Keyzer J, et al. One-year follow-up results of a randomized controlled clinical trial on internet-based cognitive behavioural therapy for subthreshold depression in people over 50 years. Psychol Med. 2008;38:635-9 pubmed publisher..03) and no difference between both treatment conditions (p=0.08). People aged over 50 years with subthreshold depression can still benefit from internet-based CBT 1 year after the start of treatment. ..
- Jung W, Rillig A, Birkemeyer R, Miljak T, Meyerfeldt U. Advances in remote monitoring of implantable pacemakers, cardioverter defibrillators and cardiac resynchronization therapy systems. J Interv Card Electrophysiol. 2008;23:73-85 pubmed publisher..Further technological advances and a more clear understanding and appreciation of the clinical and economic benefits of telecardiology, will likely increase sharply the use of remote IECD monitoring in upcoming years. ..
- Brewster J, Graham M, Mutch W. Convexity, Jensen's inequality and benefits of noisy mechanical ventilation. J R Soc Interface. 2005;2:393-6 pubmed..The argument has implications for other life support devices, such as cardiopulmonary bypass pumps. This paper illustrates the benefits of research that takes place at the interface between mathematics and medicine. ..
- Frey M, Colombo G, Vaglio M, Bucher R, Jörg M, Riener R. A novel mechatronic body weight support system. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2006;14:311-21 pubmed..Thus, the novel BWS system presented in this paper is an important contribution to maximize the therapeutic outcome of human gait rehabilitation. ..
- Titov N. Status of computerized cognitive behavioural therapy for adults. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2007;41:95-114 pubmed..Suggestions are made for further research and useful website addresses are provided to assist clinicians in familiarizing themselves with CCBT. ..
- Neuzil P, Taborsky M, Holy F, Wallbrueck K. Early automatic remote detection of combined lead insulation defect and ICD damage. Europace. 2008;10:556-7 pubmed publisher..Immediate lead and device replacement was performed. This case illustrates the benefit of permanent automatic remote monitoring of implanted active devices. ..
- Spek V, Nyklicek I, Smits N, Cuijpers P, Riper H, Keyzer J, et al. Internet-based cognitive behavioural therapy for subthreshold depression in people over 50 years old: a randomized controlled clinical trial. Psychol Med. 2007;37:1797-806 pubmed..62). An internet-based intervention may be at least as effective as a commonly used group cognitive behaviour therapy intervention for subthreshold depression in people over 50 years of age. ..
- Japuntich S, Zehner M, Smith S, Jorenby D, Valdez J, Fiore M, et al. Smoking cessation via the internet: a randomized clinical trial of an internet intervention as adjuvant treatment in a smoking cessation intervention. Nicotine Tob Res. 2006;8 Suppl 1:S59-67 pubmed..05). In sum, results suggest that participants used CHESS SCRP frequently, CHESS SCRP use was related to success, but the effects in general did not yield intergroup effects. ..
- van Straten A, Cuijpers P, Smits N. Effectiveness of a web-based self-help intervention for symptoms of depression, anxiety, and stress: randomized controlled trial. J Med Internet Res. 2008;10:e7 pubmed publisher..The results are promising, especially for symptoms of depression and anxiety. Further research is needed to enhance the effectiveness for work-related stress. International Standard Randomized Controlled Trial Number (ISRCTN) 14881571. ..
- Spek V, Cuijpers P, Nyklicek I, Riper H, Keyzer J, Pop V. Internet-based cognitive behaviour therapy for symptoms of depression and anxiety: a meta-analysis. Psychol Med. 2007;37:319-28 pubmed..24, MEA d=0.26). In general, effect sizes of internet-based interventions for symptoms of anxiety were larger than effect sizes for depressive symptoms; however, this might be explained by differences in the amount of therapist support. ..
- Severson H, Gordon J, Danaher B, Akers L. ChewFree.com: evaluation of a Web-based cessation program for smokeless tobacco users. Nicotine Tob Res. 2008;10:381-91 pubmed publisher..We conclude that a tailored, interactive Web-assisted cessation program can be an efficacious method for assisting adult ST users to quit. ..
- Griffiths K, Christensen H. Internet-based mental health programs: a powerful tool in the rural medical kit. Aust J Rural Health. 2007;15:81-7 pubmed..Consideration should be given to developing programs tailored to rural settings and future research should evaluate the efficacy and effectiveness of such programs in rural settings. ..
- Lellouche F, Mancebo J, Jolliet P, Roeseler J, Schortgen F, Dojat M, et al. A multicenter randomized trial of computer-driven protocolized weaning from mechanical ventilation. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;174:894-900 pubmed..The specific computer-driven system used in this study can reduce mechanical ventilation duration and ICU length of stay, as compared with a physician-controlled weaning process. ..
- Strecher V, McClure J, Alexander G, Chakraborty B, Nair V, Konkel J, et al. The role of engagement in a tailored web-based smoking cessation program: randomized controlled trial. J Med Internet Res. 2008;10:e36 pubmed publisher..The source of the message, the degree of message tailoring, and the timing of exposure appear to influence Web-based program engagement. ..
- Wolbrecht E, Chan V, Reinkensmeyer D, Bobrow J. Optimizing compliant, model-based robotic assistance to promote neurorehabilitation. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2008;16:286-97 pubmed publisher..The experiments also demonstrate how including the "assist-as-needed" modification in the controller increases participation from the motor system. ..
- Rose L, Presneill J, Johnston L, Cade J. A randomised, controlled trial of conventional versus automated weaning from mechanical ventilation using SmartCare/PS. Intensive Care Med. 2008;34:1788-95 pubmed publisher..The effect of SmartCare/PS may be influenced by the local clinical organisational context. 28. Mechanical ventilation: weaning. ..
- Sweeney M, Ellenbogen K, Tang A, Johnson J, Belk P, Sheldon T. Severe atrioventricular decoupling, uncoupling, and ventriculoatrial coupling during enhanced atrial pacing: incidence, mechanisms, and implications for minimizing right ventricular pacing in ICD patients. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol. 2008;19:1175-80 pubmed publisher..AV-DC, VA-C, and AV-UC may be worsened or induced by enhanced AAI/R pacing. Conservative programming of lower rate and rate response should reduce the risk of AV-DC by reducing Cum%AP. ..
- Nielsen J, Kottkamp H, Zabel M, Aliot E, Kreutzer U, Bauer A, et al. Automatic home monitoring of implantable cardioverter defibrillators. Europace. 2008;10:729-35 pubmed publisher..A mean of 0.86 event notifications was received per 100 patients per day or 0.45 with the 2-day blanking period. Home monitoring is feasible and associated with an early detection of medical and technical events. ..
- Strecher V, Shiffman S, West R. Moderators and mediators of a web-based computer-tailored smoking cessation program among nicotine patch users. Nicotine Tob Res. 2006;8 Suppl 1:S95-101 pubmed..Moderating variables may be particularly useful to address in tailored messaging. The mediating factor of perceived message relevance may provide a partial mechanism of effective program tailoring. ..
- Lange B, Flynn S, Rizzo A. Game-based telerehabilitation. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med. 2009;45:143-51 pubmed
- Shih C, Shih C, Chu C. Assisting people with multiple disabilities actively correct abnormal standing posture with a Nintendo Wii balance board through controlling environmental stimulation. Res Dev Disabil. 2010;31:936-42 pubmed publisher..Practical and developmental implications of the findings were discussed. ..
- Stuhlmiller C, Tolchard B. Computer-assisted CBT for depression & anxiety: increasing accessibility to evidence-based mental health treatment. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2009;47:32-9 pubmed
- Dallery J, MEREDITH S, Glenn I. A deposit contract method to deliver abstinence reinforcement for cigarette smoking. J Appl Behav Anal. 2008;41:609-15 pubmed..A deposit contract method may represent a cost-effective model to deliver abstinence reinforcement for cigarette smoking. ..
- St Jacques J, Bouchard S, Bélanger C. Is virtual reality effective to motivate and raise interest in phobic children toward therapy? A clinical trial study of in vivo with in virtuo versus in vivo only treatment exposure. J Clin Psychiatry. 2010;71:924-31 pubmed publisher..They are discussed in the light of how to present in virtuo therapy to children. ..
- Cho J, Choi J, Park J. A system design of gait training device for monoplegia patients. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2008;2008:4266-9 pubmed publisher..The training device to be presented exhibits stableness in its operation and it may improve the effect of gait rehabilitation training compared to the conventional gait training method. ..
- Van de Sompel D, Kong T, Ventikos Y. Modelling of experimentally created partial-thickness human skin burns and subsequent therapeutic cooling: a new measure for cooling effectiveness. Med Eng Phys. 2009;31:624-31 pubmed publisher..Our computational model will support such experiments by calculating the necessary conditions to produce a burn of specified severity for a given experimental setup. ..
- Vandevenne J, Lincoln T, Butts Pauly K, Rinsky L, Lang P. Magnetic resonance imaging-guided closed reduction treatment for developmental dysplasia of the hip. Singapore Med J. 2009;50:407-11 pubmed..Knowledge of these procedural steps may be helpful for efficient collaboration with the orthopaedic surgeon and successful MR imaging-guided treatment of DDH. ..
- Sundaresan A, Yuta T, Hann C, Chase J, Shaw G. A minimal model of lung mechanics and model-based markers for optimizing ventilator treatment in ARDS patients. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2009;95:166-80 pubmed publisher..This minimal model thus provides a clinically useful and relatively simple platform for continuous patient specific monitoring of lung unit recruitment for a patient. ..
- Cheng K, Dewhirst M, Stauffer P, Das S. Effective learning strategies for real-time image-guided adaptive control of multiple-source hyperthermia applicators. Med Phys. 2010;37:1285-97 pubmed..One way to supplement equations is the inclusion of a method of model reduction. ..
- Tokumine A, Ninomiya S, Tokaji M, Kurosaki T, Tomizawa Y. Evaluation of basic perfusion techniques, ECCSIM-Lite simulator. J Extra Corpor Technol. 2010;42:139-44 pubmed..In conclusion, the use of ECCSIM-Lite simulations, together with evaluation of task accomplishment over repeated training sessions, is an effective method of basic skill training for perfusionists. ..
- Katz R. Computers in the treatment of chronic aphasia. Semin Speech Lang. 2010;31:34-41 pubmed publisher..Pertinent studies regarding Phases 1 and 2 are briefly described. The only Phase 3 study of efficacy of computerized aphasia treatment is more fully described and its implications discussed. ..
- Keriquel V, Guillemot F, Arnault I, Guillotin B, Miraux S, Amedee J, et al. In vivo bioprinting for computer- and robotic-assisted medical intervention: preliminary study in mice. Biofabrication. 2010;2:014101 pubmed publisher..Although heterogeneous, these preliminary results demonstrate that in vivo bioprinting is possible. Bioprinting may prove to be helpful in the future for medical robotics and computer-assisted medical interventions. ..
- Claes N, Nele J, Van Mierlo J. The implementation costs of an electronic prevention programme in Belgian general practice. Eur J Gen Pract. 2010;16:12-7 pubmed publisher..This study showed that it is possible to implement an EPP for cardiovascular prevention with an acceptable cost. ..
- Gerhards S, de Graaf L, Jacobs L, Severens J, Huibers M, Arntz A, et al. Economic evaluation of online computerised cognitive-behavioural therapy without support for depression in primary care: randomised trial. Br J Psychiatry. 2010;196:310-8 pubmed publisher..On balance, CCBT constitutes the most efficient treatment strategy, although all treatments showed low adherence rates and modest improvements in depression and quality of life. ..
- Kastner M, Li J, Lottridge D, Marquez C, Newton D, Straus S. Development of a prototype clinical decision support tool for osteoporosis disease management: a qualitative study of focus groups. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2010;10:40 pubmed publisher..Focus group data revealed the facilitators and barriers to using the osteoporosis tool at the point of care so that it can be optimized to aid physicians in their clinical decision making. ..
- Del Alamo J, Marsden A, Lasheras J. Recent advances in the application of computational mechanics to the diagnosis and treatment of cardiovascular disease. Rev Esp Cardiol. 2009;62:781-805 pubmed
- Koenig T, Gardiwal A, Oswald H, Klein G. A prospective experience with the lead integrity alert: new certainties and new uncertainties. Europace. 2009;11:1549-51 pubmed publisher..Additionally, our case illustrates the new problem of how to clinically handle a patient with a highly probable, but not completely certain, ICD-lead failure. ..
- Chopra R, Curiel L, Staruch R, Morrison L, Hynynen K. An MRI-compatible system for focused ultrasound experiments in small animal models. Med Phys. 2009;36:1867-74 pubmed..Initial results suggest that this is a robust and precise apparatus for use in the investigation of novel ultrasound-based therapeutic strategies in small animal preclinical models. ..
- Mansour F, Guash E, Berruezo A, Brugada J, Tolosana J, Mont L. Inappropriate shocks or inappropriate programming? A review of Guidant's reconfirmation algorithm. Europace. 2009;11:1120-2 pubmed publisher..For proper troubleshooting, the reconfirmation algorithm will be reviewed. ..
- Marayong P, Mostoufi M. Foot vibrotactile device for central apnea interruption in premature infants. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2009;142:180-2 pubmed..Based on the preliminary results, the system provides adequate stimulation. Further testing will be conducted to ensure the system safety and effectiveness before clinical trials. ..
- Braithwaite S, Fincham F. A randomized clinical trial of a computer based preventive intervention: replication and extension of ePREP. J Fam Psychol. 2009;23:32-8 pubmed publisher..The flexibility of this intervention empowers it to overcome key obstacles in the dissemination of relationship education. ..
- Pecora D, Morandi F, Liccardo M, Pepi P, Orazi S, Caico S, et al. Performance of a ventricular automatic-capture algorithm in a wide clinical setting. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2008;31:1546-53 pubmed publisher..4% of patients the system is permanently unable to detect the ventricular threshold. Backup pacing is not dependent on lead or patient characteristics, including lead polarization, polarity, and maturation. ..
- Canters R, Wust P, Bakker J, Van Rhoon G. A literature survey on indicators for characterisation and optimisation of SAR distributions in deep hyperthermia, a plea for standardisation. Int J Hyperthermia. 2009;25:593-608 pubmed publisher..For optimisation procedures, 'Hotspot-target SAR ratio' is currently the most suitable objective function. ..
- Tanaka M, Adachi Y, Adachi K, Sato C. Effects of a non-face-to-face behavioral weight-control program among Japanese overweight males: a randomized controlled trial. Int J Behav Med. 2010;17:17-24 pubmed publisher..Among the obese subjects, weight loss in KTPG was larger than CG at the third month (-3.0 vs. -1.4 kg). Weight loss effects of KTP were significant at 1 month, walking steps increase was maintained for 7 months. ..
- Nilius G, Burian S, Franke K, Van t Hoog T, Domanski U, Ruhle K. [Effects of a breath-triggered modulation of positive airway pressure ventilation on the AHI from patients with obstructive sleep apnoea]. Pneumologie. 2009;63:433-8 pubmed publisher..1 +/- 7.4, Flexline: 9.1 +/- 7.4) without influencing sleep quality (arousal index: CPAP: 21.7 +/- 8.4, Flexline: 20.1 +/- 9.8). The Flexline is equally efficient as CPAP in the treatment of OSAS. ..
- Fort A, Narsinghani U, Bowyer F. Evaluating the safety and efficacy of Glucommander, a computer-based insulin infusion method, in management of diabetic ketoacidosis in children, and comparing its clinical performance with manually titrated insulin infusion. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2009;22:119-25 pubmed
- Halpin L, Henry L, Dunning E, Hunt S, Barnett S, White J, et al. Comparison of blood glucose management strategies to achieve control following cardiac surgery (computerized versus paper). AACN Adv Crit Care. 2010;21:146-51 pubmed publisher..5 (+/-1.3) hours. The time to target for the paper group was quite skewed; therefore, the median time to target was 6 hours. The computer-driven protocol achieved excellent glycemic control. ..
- Hanschmann H, Wiehe S, Müller Mazzotta J, Berger R. [Speech perception in noise with and without FM technology]. HNO. 2010;58:674-9 pubmed publisher..89 dB S/N. Children with detected auditory selection problems benefit most from the use of an FM system for improved speech understanding. This should be borne in mind in the diagnosis and therapy of these children. ..
- Zeitz O, Keseru M, Hornig R, Richard G. [Artificial sight: recent developments]. Klin Monbl Augenheilkd. 2009;226:149-53 pubmed publisher..This will be necessary to provide a interpretable visual information to the brain. The present article summarises the concepts and includes some latest information from recent conferences. ..