Summary: The field of information science concerned with the analysis and dissemination of medical data through the application of computers to various aspects of health care and medicine.
- Otero P, Hersh W, Luna D, Gonzalez Bernaldo de Quiros F. A medical informatics distance-learning course for Latin America. Translation, implementation and evaluation. Methods Inf Med. 2010;49:310-5 pubmed publisher..is a growing need and interest worldwide for healthcare and information technology professionals trained in medical informatics. Distance learning technologies are increasingly used to deliver such education, but have mainly been ..
- Shurtz S. Thinking outside the classroom: providing student-centered informatics instruction to first- and second-year medical students. Med Ref Serv Q. 2009;28:275-81 pubmed publisher..This article describes strategies librarians are implementing, outside the curriculum, to teach Texas A & M Health Science Center's first- and second-year medical students how to use library resources. ..
- Kelders S, van Gemert Pijnen J, Werkman A, Nijland N, Seydel E. Effectiveness of a Web-based intervention aimed at healthy dietary and physical activity behavior: a randomized controlled trial about users and usage. J Med Internet Res. 2011;13:e32 pubmed publisher..Trial ID number: ISRCTN42687923; http://www.controlled-trials.com/ISRCTN42687923/ (Archived by WebCite at http://www.webcitation.org/5xnGmvQ9Y). ..
- Raptis D, Mettler T, Tzanas K, Graf R. A novel open-source web-based platform promoting collaboration of healthcare professionals and biostatisticians: a design science approach. Inform Health Soc Care. 2012;37:22-36 pubmed publisher..We are hoping that this will strengthen the clinician-statistician relationship in the short term and ultimately improve the quality of research and hence the quality of healthcare in the long term. ..
- Karsh B, Weinger M, Abbott P, Wears R. Health information technology: fallacies and sober realities. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010;17:617-23 pubmed publisher..These fallacies must be understood and addressed for HIT to yield better results. Foundational cognitive and human factors engineering research and development are essential to better inform HIT development, deployment, and use. ..
- Stevenson M, Guo Y. Disambiguation of ambiguous biomedical terms using examples generated from the UMLS Metathesaurus. J Biomed Inform. 2010;43:762-73 pubmed publisher..The examples generated using the novel approach produce an improvement in WSD performance when combined with manually labeled examples. ..
- van Dijk N, Hooft L, Wieringa de Waard M. What are the barriers to residents' practicing evidence-based medicine? A systematic review. Acad Med. 2010;85:1163-70 pubmed publisher..Residents experience specific barriers to practice EBM. These barriers should be recognized and integrated into EBM training programs for residents. ..
- Rozenblum R, Donzé J, Hockey P, Guzdar E, Labuzetta M, Zimlichman E, et al. The impact of medical informatics on patient satisfaction: a USA-based literature review. Int J Med Inform. 2013;82:141-58 pubmed publisher..The database of PubMed was searched from inception through May 2010, using the MeSH terms "Medical Informatics" and "Patient Satisfaction"...
- Luneski A, Konstantinidis E, Bamidis P. Affective medicine. A review of affective computing efforts in medical informatics. Methods Inf Med. 2010;49:207-18 pubmed publisher..and its applications in medicine, and 2) to establish synergies between the research communities of AC and medical informatics. Aspects related to the human affective state as a determinant of the human health are discussed, coupled ..
- Hasman A, Ammenwerth E, Dickhaus H, Knaup P, Lovis C, Mantas J, et al. Biomedical informatics--a confluence of disciplines?. Methods Inf Med. 2011;50:508-24 pubmed publisher..Bridges between the sciences are needed for the success of biomedical informatics. ..
- Athey B, Cavalcoli J, Jagadish H, Omenn G, Mirel B, Kretzler M, et al. The NIH National Center for Integrative Biomedical Informatics (NCIBI). J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012;19:166-70 pubmed publisher..Our future directions include focusing on the TranSMART data sharing and analysis initiative. ..
- Yen P, Bakken S. Review of health information technology usability study methodologies. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012;19:413-22 pubmed publisher..Based on the findings, a three-level stratified view of health IT usability evaluation is proposed and methodological guidance is offered based upon the type of interaction that is of primary interest in the evaluation. ..
- Thomas D, Pappu R, Baker N. NanoParticle Ontology for cancer nanotechnology research. J Biomed Inform. 2011;44:59-74 pubmed publisher..Mechanisms for editorial and governance processes are being developed for the maintenance, review, and growth of the NPO. ..
- Greenhalgh T, Stones R. Theorising big IT programmes in healthcare: strong structuration theory meets actor-network theory. Soc Sci Med. 2010;70:1285-94 pubmed publisher..Structurally relevant properties inscribed and embedded in technological artefacts constrain and enable human agency. The fortunes of healthcare IT programmes might be studied in terms of the interplay between these factors. ..
- Bloomrosen M, Starren J, Lorenzi N, Ash J, Patel V, Shortliffe E. Anticipating and addressing the unintended consequences of health IT and policy: a report from the AMIA 2009 Health Policy Meeting. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011;18:82-90 pubmed publisher..use can bring to efforts to improve the quality, safety, and efficiency of healthcare, the American Medical Informatics Association devoted its 2009 Annual Health Policy Meeting to consideration of unanticipated consequences ..
- Gour N, Srivastava D. Knowledge of computer among healthcare professionals of India: a key toward e-health. Telemed J E Health. 2010;16:957-62 pubmed publisher..A majority of all healthcare professionals (95.41%) requested computer training, which according to them would definitely help to make their future more bright and nurtured as well as to enhance their knowledge regarding computers. ..
- Bloomrosen M, Detmer D. Informatics, evidence-based care, and research; implications for national policy: a report of an American Medical Informatics Association health policy conference. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010;17:115-23 pubmed publisher..The American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA) 2008 Health Policy Conference was convened to focus and propel discussions about ..
- Cantor M. Translational informatics: an industry perspective. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012;19:153-5 pubmed publisher..Ultimately, the source of translational tools and differences between academia and industry are secondary, as long as they move towards the shared goal of improving health. ..
- Payne T, Bates D, Berner E, Bernstam E, Covvey H, Frisse M, et al. Healthcare information technology and economics. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013;20:212-7 pubmed publisherAt the 2011 American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI) Winter Symposium we studied the overlap between health IT and economics and what leading healthcare delivery organizations are achieving today using IT that might offer paths for ..
- Marcotte L, Seidman J, Trudel K, Berwick D, Blumenthal D, Mostashari F, et al. Achieving meaningful use of health information technology: a guide for physicians to the EHR incentive programs. Arch Intern Med. 2012;172:731-6 pubmed publisher..We provide herein an overview of the Medicare and Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs and guide physicians in the process of how to demonstrate meaningful use of health information technology. ..
- Nadkarni P, Ohno Machado L, Chapman W. Natural language processing: an introduction. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011;18:544-51 pubmed publisher..This tutorial targets the medical informatics generalist who has limited acquaintance with the principles behind NLP and/or limited knowledge of the ..
- Mackenzie S, Wyatt M, Schuff R, Tenenbaum J, Anderson N. Practices and perspectives on building integrated data repositories: results from a 2010 CTSA survey. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012;19:e119-24 pubmed..We describe the major trends and emerging practices below. ..
- Unertl K, Novak L, Johnson K, Lorenzi N. Traversing the many paths of workflow research: developing a conceptual framework of workflow terminology through a systematic literature review. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010;17:265-73 pubmed publisher..The authors developed a conceptual framework of workflow-related terminology for use in future research and present this model for use by other researchers. ..
- Schreiber W, Giustini D. Pathology in the era of Web 2.0. Am J Clin Pathol. 2009;132:824-8 pubmed publisher..Some potential applications of Web 2.0 in pathology and laboratory medicine are discussed, as are the issues that must be considered when adopting this new technology. ..
- Ullman Cullere M, Mathew J. Emerging landscape of genomics in the Electronic Health Record for personalized medicine. Hum Mutat. 2011;32:512-6 pubmed publisher..Where core infrastructure remains to be developed and implemented, funding is needed for pilot projects, data standards, policy, and stakeholder collaboration. ..
- Van De Belt T, Engelen L, Berben S, Schoonhoven L. Definition of Health 2.0 and Medicine 2.0: a systematic review. J Med Internet Res. 2010;12:e18 pubmed publisher..However, there is still no general consensus regarding the definition of Health 2.0/Medicine 2.0. We hope that this study will contribute to building the concept of Health 2.0/Medicine 2.0 and facilitate discussion and further research. ..
- Payne P, Embi P, Niland J. Foundational biomedical informatics research in the clinical and translational science era: a call to action. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010;17:615-6 pubmed publisher..Such efforts are needed to ensure that the biomedical informatics community is able to advance CRI and TBI science in the context of the modern clinical and translational science era. ..
- Atlas S, Grant R, Lester W, Ashburner J, Chang Y, Barry M, et al. A cluster-randomized trial of a primary care informatics-based system for breast cancer screening. J Gen Intern Med. 2011;26:154-61 pubmed publisher..001). A novel population-based informatics system functioning as part of a non-visit-based care model increased mammography screening rates in intervention practices. ClinicalTrials.gov; NCT00462891. ..
- Rojo M, Bueno G, Slodkowska J. Review of imaging solutions for integrated quantitative immunohistochemistry in the Pathology daily practice. Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2009;47:349-54 pubmed publisher..Automated quantitative tissue microarrays (TMA) analysis is essential to provide high-throughput analysis. Medical informatics standards in images (DICOM) and workflow (IHE) under development will foster the use of image analysis in ..
- Kroth P, Phillips H, Eldredge J. Leveraging change to integrate library and informatics competencies into a new CTSC curriculum: a program evaluation. Med Ref Serv Q. 2009;28:221-34 pubmed publisher..This report tracks the experiences and evaluations of two cohorts of graduate students who have completed the course. This article presents lessons learned on curricular integration and offers thoughts for future work. ..
- Sarkar I. Biomedical informatics and translational medicine. J Transl Med. 2010;8:22 pubmed publisher..Based on contributions and advancements in each of these topic areas, the article proposes that biomedical informatics practitioners ("biomedical informaticians") can be essential members of translational medicine teams. ..
- Wyatt J. Assessing and improving evidence based health informatics research. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;151:435-45 pubmed
- Stead W, Searle J, Fessler H, Smith J, Shortliffe E. Biomedical informatics: changing what physicians need to know and how they learn. Acad Med. 2011;86:429-34 pubmed publisher..The authors illustrate this future role of medical informatics with a vignette and summarize the evolving understanding of both beneficial and deleterious effects of ..
- Westbrook J, Braithwaite J. Will information and communication technology disrupt the health system and deliver on its promise?. Med J Aust. 2010;193:399-400 pubmed..As other industries have shown, substitution and role changes are areas in which ICT can lead to the greatest gains. ..
- Altman R, Miller K. 2010 translational bioinformatics year in review. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011;18:358-66 pubmed publisher..At the same time, the infrastructure for the field has burgeoned. While acknowledging that, according to researchers, the members of this field tend to be overly optimistic, the authors predict a bright future. ..
- Black A, Car J, Pagliari C, Anandan C, Cresswell K, Bokun T, et al. The impact of eHealth on the quality and safety of health care: a systematic overview. PLoS Med. 2011;8:e1000387 pubmed publisher..Such evaluation should be characterised by careful attention to socio-technical factors to maximise the likelihood of successful implementation and adoption. ..
- Buntin M, Burke M, Hoaglin M, Blumenthal D. The benefits of health information technology: a review of the recent literature shows predominantly positive results. Health Aff (Millwood). 2011;30:464-71 pubmed publisher..These realities highlight the need for studies that document the challenging aspects of implementing health information technology more specifically and how these challenges might be addressed. ..
- Kamel Boulos M, Viangteeravat T, Anyanwu M, Ra Nagisetty V, Kuscu E. Web GIS in practice IX: a demonstration of geospatial visual analytics using Microsoft Live Labs Pivot technology and WHO mortality data. Int J Health Geogr. 2011;10:19 pubmed publisher..Interested readers can download a Zip archive (included with the manuscript as an additional file) containing all files, modules and library functions used to deploy the WHO mortality data Pivot collection described in this paper. ..
- Spreckelsen C, Deserno T, Spitzer K. Visibility of medical informatics regarding bibliometric indices and databases. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2011;11:24 pubmed publisher..This study examines the effects of the new indices on the visibility of Medical Informatics. By objective criteria, three sets of journals are chosen, two representing Medical Informatics and a third ..
- Augestad K, Berntsen G, Lassen K, Bellika J, Wootton R, Lindsetmo R. Standards for reporting randomized controlled trials in medical informatics: a systematic review of CONSORT adherence in RCTs on clinical decision support. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012;19:13-21 pubmed publisher..Six trials (18%) reported on long-term implementation of CDS. The overall quality of reporting RCTs was low. There is a need to develop standards for reporting RCTs in medical informatics.
- Clauser S, Wagner E, Aiello Bowles E, Tuzzio L, Greene S. Improving modern cancer care through information technology. Am J Prev Med. 2011;40:S198-207 pubmed publisher..Also discussed are additional challenges and opportunities to advancing understanding of how patient data, provider and patient involvement, and informatics innovations can support high-quality cancer care. ..
- Timm J, Renly S, Farkash A. Large scale healthcare data integration and analysis using the semantic web. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2011;169:729-33 pubmed..We show that bringing Semantic Web technologies into the healthcare interoperability toolkit increases opportunities for beneficial collaboration thus improving patient care and clinical research outcomes. ..