Summary: The application of computer and information sciences to improve dental practice, research, education and management.
- Hu J, Yu H, Luo E, Song E, Xu X, Tan H, et al. Are Chinese dentists ready for the computerization of dentistry? A population investigation of China's metropolises. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2009;16:409-12 pubmed publisher..A majority of respondents supported the statement that computerization is a benefit to patient care. The authors found that the computerization of dental clinics in Chinese metropolises is a few years behind that of western nations. ..
- Guichet D. Moving your practice into the digital age. Dent Today. 2008;27:90, 92, 94 pubmed
- Sadowsky S, Pfeifer D, Goodacre C. 2008 Survey of Pro Bono Services Provided by Practicing Prosthodontists. J Prosthodont. 2010;19:553-6 pubmed publisher..Their treatment addresses a broad scope of prosthodontic services including the restoration of patients with complex needs. ..
- Reynolds P, Harper J, Dunne S. Better informed in clinical practice - a brief overview of dental informatics. Br Dent J. 2008;204:313-7 pubmed publisherUptake of dental informatics has been hampered by technical and user issues. Innovative systems have been developed, but usability issues have affected many...
- Flores Mir C, Major M, Major P. Search and selection methodology of systematic reviews in orthodontics (2000-2004). Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2006;130:214-7 pubmed..The methodology of systematic reviews in orthodontics is still limited, with key methodological components frequently absent or not appropriately described. ..
- Weir B. Bioinformatics and approaches to identifying polygenic susceptibility traits. Ann Periodontol. 2002;7:1-7 pubmed..Current thinking tends to focus on relatively conserved "haplotype blocks" instead of single genetic markers, although there is no consensus on the utility of this emphasis. ..
- Liu K, Acharya A, Alai S, Schleyer T. Using electronic dental record data for research: a data-mapping study. J Dent Res. 2013;92:90S-6S pubmed publisher..Further studies should investigate the feasibility of electronic clinical data for research purposes. ..
- Eaton K. How do we move forward?. Prim Dent Care. 2005;12:39-41 pubmed
- Levine A, Bebermeyer R, Chen J, Davis D, Harty C. Development of an interdisciplinary course in information resources and evidence-based dentistry. J Dent Educ. 2008;72:1067-76 pubmed..Dental Branch about evidence-based dentistry, search strategies, critical appraisal of the literature, and dental informatics. Students learned to develop a clinical question, conduct a search to find answers to that question, and ..
- Glurich I, Acharya A, Shukla S, Nycz G, Brilliant M. The oral-systemic personalized medicine model at Marshfield Clinic. Oral Dis. 2013;19:1-17 pubmed publisher..The overall vision is to engineer a transformational shift in paradigm from 'personalized medicine' to 'personalized health'. ..
- Levin M. Advanced technologies in endodontic practice: computer infrastructure and digital radiography. Alpha Omegan. 2004;97:51-61 pubmed
- Papadopoulos M, Chatzoudi M, Kaklamanos E. Prevalence of tooth transposition. A meta-analysis. Angle Orthod. 2010;80:275-85 pubmed publisher..Tooth transposition is a rare phenomenon that affects various populations, including across genders, in a similar manner. Some maxillary predisposition exists, and its unilateral occurrence is higher than that of bilateral. ..
- Hill H, Stewart D, Ash J. Health Information Technology Systems profoundly impact users: a case study in a dental school. J Dent Educ. 2010;74:434-45 pubmed..HITS integration into patient care impacts the work of all system users, especially end-users. The themes highlight areas of potential concern for implementers and users in integrating a HITS into patient care. ..
- Aravamudhan K, Frantsve Hawley J. American Dental Association's Resources to Support Evidence-Based Dentistry. J Evid Based Dent Pract. 2009;9:139-44 pubmed publisher..With the explosion in the use of information technology within a dental office, this web-site will serve as the one-stop resource for credible scientific information for practitioners. ..
- Jackson M. Drugs and dentistry. E-prescribing is not just a concept. Todays FDA. 2008;20:28, 31 pubmed
- Nozaki K, Akiyama T, Tamagawa H, Kato S, Mizuno Matsumoto Y, Nakagawa M, et al. The first grid for the oral and maxillofacial region and its application for speech analysis. Methods Inf Med. 2005;44:253-6 pubmed..The new method allows the construction of a data warehouse through this grid-based speech function analysis in order to extract the principal factors related to speech disorders. ..
- Bekhuis T, Kreinacke M, Spallek H, Song M, O Donnell J. Using natural language processing to enable in-depth analysis of clinical messages posted to an Internet mailing list: a feasibility study. J Med Internet Res. 2011;13:e98 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate the potential value of our procedures for qualitative researchers by retrieving a manageable set of messages concerning systemic and oral disease. ..
- Cardelli P, Turrini R, Bulletti A, Castelli G, Vanini A, Pagnoni A. New online management software and DICOM viewer for dentistry. Int J Comput Dent. 2011;14:147-53 pubmed..In particular, this article describes the first Web-based Electronic Medical Record (DocSapiens.com), which is able to view and edit DICOM files directly online. ..
- Ford P, Foxlee N, Green W. Developing information literacy with first year oral health students. Eur J Dent Educ. 2009;13:46-51 pubmed publisher..As this is highly relevant for higher education students in general, the wider promotion of information literacy should be encouraged. ..
- Vassura G, Vassura M, Bazzacchi A, Gracco A. A shift of force vector from arm to brain: 3D computer technology in orthodontic treatment management. Int Orthod. 2010;8:46-63 pubmed publisher..It has provided end-results which are totally positive for orthodontic patients, as was already the case in implantology and prosthetics. ..
- Schleyer T, Mattsson U, Ni Riordain R, Brailo V, Glick M, Zain R, et al. Advancing oral medicine through informatics and information technology: a proposed framework and strategy. Oral Dis. 2011;17 Suppl 1:85-94 pubmed publisher..If current barriers and obstacles are overcome, practice and research in oral medicine stand ready to derive significant benefits from the application of information technology. ..
- Carvalho J, Bottenberg P, Declerck D, Van Nieuwenhuysen J, Vanobbergen J, Nyssen M. Validity of an information and communication technology system for data capture in epidemiological studies. Caries Res. 2011;45:287-93 pubmed publisher..001). As information technology has turned into an ever more necessary working tool in epidemiology, there should be an important potential for uptake of further improvements in electronic data capture in the future. ..
- Barnett M, Pihlstrom B. Methods for enhancing the efficiency of dental/oral health clinical trials: current status, future possibilities. J Dent Res. 2004;83:744-50 pubmed..Examples of ways in which clinical trials of other diseases have benefited from the use of new methods and technologies and FDA considerations were also discussed. ..
- Thyvalikakath T, Monaco V, Thambuganipalle H, Schleyer T. A usability evaluation of four commercial dental computer-based patient record systems. J Am Dent Assoc. 2008;139:1632-42 pubmed..The significant number of data entry errors raises concerns about the quality of documentation in clinical practice. ..
- Schoenbaum T. Establishing your practice in cyberspace: getting started. Dent Today. 2008;27:150-1 pubmed
- Shelley P, Johnson B, BeGole E. Use of an Electronic Patient Record system to evaluate restorative treatment following root canal therapy. J Dent Educ. 2007;71:1333-9 pubmed..This study documents the use of an EPR system to objectively and efficiently assess one aspect of quality of care in a dental school environment. ..
- Bebermeyer R. Teaching evidence-based practice at the University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston. Tex Dent J. 2011;128:183-5 pubmed
- Wiedhahn K. The new online submission--author's paradise. Int J Comput Dent. 2005;8:3-5 pubmed
- Rodríguez Tizcareño M, Barajas L, Pérez Gásque M, Gomez S. Esthetic considerations for the treatment of the edentulous maxilla based on current informatic alternatives: a case report. J Calif Dent Assoc. 2012;40:509-17 pubmed
- Cederberg R, Valenza J. Ethics and the electronic health record in dental school clinics. J Dent Educ. 2012;76:584-9 pubmed
- Mupparapu M, Binder R, Cummins J. Use of a wireless local area network in an orthodontic clinic. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2005;127:756-9 pubmed..The network security protocols discussed comply with HIPAA regulations and boost the efficiency of a modern orthodontic clinic. ..
- Williams P. IT and security considerations for online clinical records. Ann R Australas Coll Dent Surg. 2010;20:66-70 pubmed..The benefits and barriers to adoption of online records will be presented to provide a frame of reference for the next major shift in electronic communication. ..
- Schleyer T, Thyvalikakath T, Malatack P, Marotta M, Shah T, Phanichphant P, et al. The feasibility of a three-dimensional charting interface for general dentistry. J Am Dent Assoc. 2007;138:1072-80 pubmed..A multidisciplinary research team with expertise in human-computer interaction, dental informatics and computer science conducted a 14-week project to develop and evaluate a proof of concept for a 3-D dental ..
- Hettne K, Weeber M, Laine M, ten Cate H, Boyer S, Kors J, et al. Automatic mining of the literature to generate new hypotheses for the possible link between periodontitis and atherosclerosis: lipopolysaccharide as a case study. J Clin Periodontol. 2007;34:1016-24 pubmed..This example of multidisciplinary research illustrates how collaborative efforts of investigators from different fields of expertise can result in the discovery of new hypotheses. ..
- Ahlers M, Jaeger D, Jakstat H. Concept of computer-assisted clinical diagnostic documentation systems for the practice with the option of later scientific evaluations. Int J Comput Dent. 2010;13:233-50 pubmed..Here, a special export function automatically separates the anonymized treatment data and thus facilitates multicentric studies within an institution and among dental practices. ..
- Gutmann J. The maturation of science within dentistry: the impact of critical milestones and visionary leaders on contemporary achievements. J Hist Dent. 2009;57:109-22 pubmed
- Valenza J, Walji M, Taylor D, Estes K. Innovation in dental education in Texas: The University of Texas Dental Branch at Houston. Tex Dent J. 2009;126:680-92 pubmed..As the school looks ahead to a new building by 2012, additional advances and innovations are planned to follow. This article takes a look at the past, present, and future contributions by UTDB to innovation in dental education. ..
- Pahinis K, Stokes C, Walsh T, Tsitrou E, Cannavina G. A blended learning course taught to different groups of learners in a dental school: follow-up evaluation. J Dent Educ. 2008;72:1048-57 pubmed..The change in the delivery method influenced the students' comprehension of the material negatively and the learning environment positively, but did not influence online collaboration among students. ..
- Torres Urquidy M, Acharya A, Hernandez Cott P, Misner J, Schleyer T. Evaluating the effectiveness of modeling principles for data models. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2009;143:525-33 pubmed..3 to 0.4 and after was 0.5 (p<0.05). The difference was small but statistically significant. Our results suggest that the modeling principles improve information representation since agreement increased. ..
- Luciani E. Common contractual concerns for the oral and maxillofacial surgeon. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2008;20:37-46 pubmed publisher..It is a general discussion of common legal concepts that could face an OMS, but it is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. ..
- Hyatt J. Digital imaging. J Am Dent Assoc. 2008;139:1029-30; author reply 1030 pubmed
- Sterental R. A new helping-hand concept for Invisalign users. Dent Today. 2008;27:118, 120-1 pubmed
- Gardner K. An online community of inquiry for reflective practice in an operative dentistry course. J Dent Educ. 2012;76:641-50 pubmed..This descriptive article presents an overview of the experiences involved in developing this COI and provides a conceptual framework for an online COI. ..
- Walji M, Taylor D, Langabeer J, Valenza J. Factors influencing implementation and outcomes of a dental electronic patient record system. J Dent Educ. 2009;73:589-600 pubmed..By sharing lessons learned and knowledge about the science of implementation, we hope to reduce failures and costs for dental schools embarking on large-scale information technology implementations. ..
- Clayton M, Borromeo C, Hess S, Hochheiser H, Schleyer T. An initial, qualitative investigation of patient-centered education in dentistry. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;183:314-8 pubmed..Patient education should be meaningfully integrated into the workflow shared by dentists, their team members and patients, in order to maximize its outcomes. ..
- Tapie L, Lebon N, Mawussi B, Fron Chabouis H, Duret F, Attal J. Understanding dental CAD/CAM for restorations--the digital workflow from a mechanical engineering viewpoint. Int J Comput Dent. 2015;18:21-44 pubmed..This article provides a computer-science and mechanical-engineering approach to the CAD/CAM digital workflow to help dentists understand the technology. ..