Genomes and Genes
Summary: The number of new cases of a given disease during a given period in a specified population. It also is used for the rate at which new events occur in a defined population. It is differentiated from PREVALENCE, which refers to all cases, new or old, in the population at a given time.
Publications234 found, 100 shown here
- Global cancer statistics, 2002D Max Parkin
Unit of Descriptive Epidemiology, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
CA Cancer J Clin 55:74-108. 2005Estimates of the worldwide incidence, mortality and prevalence of 26 cancers in the year 2002 are now available in the GLOBOCAN series of the International Agency for Research on Cancer...
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metforminWilliam C Knowler
Diabetes Prevention Program Coordinating Center, Biostatistics Center, George Washington University, 6110 Executive Blvd, Suite 750, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
N Engl J Med 346:393-403. 2002..We hypothesized that modifying these factors with a lifestyle-intervention program or the administration of metformin would prevent or delay the development of diabetes...
- Estimates of cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2008J Ferlay
International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Eur J Cancer 46:765-81. 2010..the relevant information for 2008 is not generally available as yet, we used statistical models to estimate incidence and mortality data for 25 cancers in 40 European countries (grouped and individually) in 2008...
- Epidemiology of severe sepsis in the United States: analysis of incidence, outcome, and associated costs of careD C Angus
Critical Care Medicine Division, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, and the Center for Research on Health Care, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Crit Care Med 29:1303-10. 2001To determine the incidence, cost, and outcome of severe sepsis in the United States.
- Patterns of cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence across five continents: defining priorities to reduce cancer disparities in different geographic regions of the worldFarin Kamangar
Nutritional Epidemiology and Biostatistics Branches, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, MD 20852 7244, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:2137-50. 2006Efforts to reduce global cancer disparities begin with an understanding of geographic patterns in cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence...
- Incidence of 2009 pandemic influenza A H1N1 infection in England: a cross-sectional serological studyElizabeth Miller
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London, UK
Lancet 375:1100-8. 2010Knowledge of the age-specific prevalence of immunity from, and incidence of infection with, 2009 pandemic influenza A H1N1 virus is essential for modelling the future burden of disease and the effectiveness of interventions such as ..
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose toleranceJ Tuomilehto
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
N Engl J Med 344:1343-50. 2001..Whether type 2 diabetes can be prevented by interventions that affect the lifestyles of subjects at high risk for the disease is not known...
- Estimated HIV incidence in the United States, 2006-2009Joseph Prejean
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17502. 2011..Previously, CDC estimated HIV incidence in the United States in 2006 as 56,300 (95% CI: 48,200-64,500)...
- Human papillomavirus and rising oropharyngeal cancer incidence in the United StatesAnil K Chaturvedi
National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 6120 Executive Blvd, EPS 7072, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:4294-301. 2011Recent increases in incidence and survival of oropharyngeal cancers in the United States have been attributed to human papillomavirus (HPV) infection, but empirical evidence is lacking.
- Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic feverD J Gubler
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 11:480-96. 1998..A major challenge for public health officials in all tropical areas of the world is to develop and implement sustainable prevention and control programs that will reverse the trend of emergent dengue hemorrhagic fever...
- Incidence and outcomes of acute lung injuryGordon D Rubenfeld
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1685-93. 2005..Despite recent advances in our understanding of the mechanism and treatment of acute lung injury, its incidence and outcomes in the United States have been unclear.
- Increasing incidence of thyroid cancer in the United States, 1973-2002Louise Davies
VA Outcomes Group, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
JAMA 295:2164-7. 2006Increasing cancer incidence is typically interpreted as an increase in the true occurrence of disease but may also reflect changing pathological criteria or increased diagnostic scrutiny...
- Epidemiology and etiology of childhood pneumoniaIgor Rudan
Croatian Centre for Global Health, University of Split Medical School, Split, Croatia
Bull World Health Organ 86:408-16. 2008Childhood pneumonia is the leading single cause of mortality in children aged less than 5 years. The incidence in this age group is estimated to be 0.29 episodes per child-year in developing and 0...
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention in men in Rakai, Uganda: a randomised trialRonald H Gray
Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21215, USA
Lancet 369:657-66. 2007Ecological and observational studies suggest that male circumcision reduces the risk of HIV acquisition in men. Our aim was to investigate the effect of male circumcision on HIV incidence in men.
- The epidemiology of sepsis in the United States from 1979 through 2000Greg S Martin
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, USA
N Engl J Med 348:1546-54. 2003..there is limited epidemiologic information about the demography of sepsis or about the temporal changes in its incidence and outcome...
- Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2006, featuring colorectal cancer trends and impact of interventions (risk factors, screening, and treatment) to reduce future ratesBrenda K Edwards
Surveillance Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 8315, USA
Cancer 116:544-73. 2010..This year's report includes trends in colorectal cancer (CRC) incidence and death rates and highlights the use of microsimulation modeling as a tool for interpreting past trends and ..
- An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fracturesO Johnell
Department of Orthopaedics, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Osteoporos Int 17:1726-33. 2006..The aim of this study was to quantify the global burden of osteoporotic fracture worldwide...
- Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancerSaman Warnakulasuriya
Department of Oral Medicine and Experimental Oral Pathology, King s College Dental Institute, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9RS, UK
Oral Oncol 45:309-16. 2009This review presents data on incidence, mortality, survival and trends in cancers of the lip, oral cavity and oropharynx using available recent data sources around the world...
- Incidence trends for childhood type 1 diabetes in Europe during 1989-2003 and predicted new cases 2005-20: a multicentre prospective registration studyChristopher C Patterson
Epidemiology Research Group, Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Lancet 373:2027-33. 2009The incidence of type 1 diabetes in children younger than 15 years is increasing. Prediction of future incidence of this disease will enable adequate fund allocation for delivery of care to be planned...
- Global patterns of cancer incidence and mortality rates and trendsAhmedin Jemal
Surveillance and Health Policy Research Department, American Cancer Society, 250 Williams Street Northwest, Atlanta, GA 30303 1002, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:1893-907. 2010While incidence and mortality rates for most cancers (including lung, colorectum, female breast, and prostate) are decreasing in the United States and many other western countries, they are increasing in several less developed and ..
- Global epidemiology of meningococcal diseaseLee H Harrison
Infectious Diseases Epidemiology Research Unit, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Graduate School of Public Health, 521 Parran Hall, 130 DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, United States
Vaccine 27:B51-63. 2009..By far the highest incidence of meningococcal disease occurs in the meningitis belt of sub-Saharan Africa...
- The worldwide incidence of preterm birth: a systematic review of maternal mortality and morbidityStacy Beck
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Bull World Health Organ 88:31-8. 2010To analyse preterm birth rates worldwide to assess the incidence of this public health problem, map the regional distribution of preterm births and gain insight into existing assessment strategies.
- The growing burden of tuberculosis: global trends and interactions with the HIV epidemicElizabeth L Corbett
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, England, UK
Arch Intern Med 163:1009-21. 2003..The increasing global burden of tuberculosis (TB) is linked to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection...
- Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer ratesH J Kim
Syracuse University, Department of Mathematics, 215 Carnegie Building, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244 1150, USA
Stat Med 19:335-51. 2000The identification of changes in the recent trend is an important issue in the analysis of cancer mortality and incidence data...
- The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysisDaphne P Guh
Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcome Sciences, St Paul s Hospital, BC, Canada
BMC Public Health 9:88. 2009..The primary objective of this study is to provide an estimate of the incidence of each co-morbidity related to obesity and overweight using a meta-analysis.
- Clinical epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease: Incidence, prevalence, and environmental influencesEdward V Loftus
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Clinic, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Gastroenterology 126:1504-17. 2004Although the incidence and prevalence of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are beginning to stabilize in high-incidence areas such as northern Europe and North America, they continue to rise in low-incidence areas such as southern ..
- Diabetes and cancer: a consensus reportEdward Giovannucci
Department of Nutrition, Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1674-85. 2010Epidemiologic evidence suggests that cancer incidence is associated with diabetes as well as certain diabetes risk factors and diabetes treatments...
- Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality and survival in 2006-2007Kyu Won Jung
The Korea Central Cancer Registry, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 25:1113-21. 2010Cancer has been the leading cause of death in Korea. Korea is facing a very rapid change and increase in cancer incidence, which draws much attention in public health...
- Gestational diabetes and the incidence of type 2 diabetes: a systematic reviewCatherine Kim
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Diabetes Care 25:1862-8. 2002..To examine factors associated with variation in the risk for type 2 diabetes in women with prior gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM)...
- The global burden of typhoid feverJohn A Crump
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, MS A 38, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Bull World Health Organ 82:346-53. 2004..To use new data to make a revised estimate of the global burden of typhoid fever, an accurate understanding of which is necessary to guide public health decisions for disease control and prevention efforts...
- Primary liver cancer: worldwide incidence and trendsF Xavier Bosch
Epidemiology and Cancer Registration Unit, IDIBELL Institut Català d Oncologia, Avda Gran Via s n, Km 2 7 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 127:S5-S16. 2004..Rates of liver cancer in men are typically 2 to 4 times higher than in women. The incidence of primary liver cancer is increasing in several developed countries, including the United States, and the ..
- Incidence estimate of nonmelanoma skin cancer in the United States, 2006Howard W Rogers
Advanced Dermatology, 111 Salem Turnpike, Norwich, CT 06360, USA
Arch Dermatol 146:283-7. 2010To estimate the incidence of nonmelanoma skin cancer (NMSC) in the US population in 2006 and secondarily to indicate trends in numbers of procedures for skin cancer treatment.
- A predominantly clonal multi-institutional outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortalityVivian G Loo
Department of Microbiology, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Que, Canada
N Engl J Med 353:2442-9. 2005In March 2003, several hospitals in Quebec, Canada, noted a marked increase in the incidence of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea.
- Breast and ovarian cancer risks due to inherited mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2Mary Claire King
Departments of Medicine and Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Science 302:643-6. 2003..Lifetime risks of ovarian cancer were 54% for BRCA1 and 23% for BRCA2 mutation carriers. Physical exercise and lack of obesity in adolescence were associated with significantly delayed breast cancer onset...
- The relationship between anti-merozoite antibodies and incidence of Plasmodium falciparum malaria: A systematic review and meta-analysisFreya J I Fowkes
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
PLoS Med 7:e1000218. 2010..However, published evidence of the protective effect of these antibodies is conflicting...
- Strategies for mitigating an influenza pandemicNeil M Ferguson
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Nature 442:448-52. 2006..Estimates of policy effectiveness will change if the characteristics of a future pandemic strain differ substantially from those seen in past pandemics...
- The Indian Diabetes Prevention Programme shows that lifestyle modification and metformin prevent type 2 diabetes in Asian Indian subjects with impaired glucose tolerance (IDPP-1)A Ramachandran
Diabetes Research Centre, M V Hospital for Diabetes, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research, Education and Training in Diabetes, Royapuram, Chennai, India
Diabetologia 49:289-97. 2006..In a prospective community-based study, we tested whether the progression to diabetes could be influenced by interventions in native Asian Indians with IGT who were younger, leaner and more insulin resistant than the above populations...
- Efficacy of quadrivalent HPV vaccine against HPV Infection and disease in malesAnna R Giuliano
Risk Assessment, Detection, and Intervention Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
N Engl J Med 364:401-11. 2011..We report on the safety of a quadrivalent vaccine (active against HPV types 6, 11, 16, and 18) and on its efficacy in preventing the development of external genital lesions and anogenital HPV infection in boys and men...
- Lifetime risk for development of atrial fibrillation: the Framingham Heart StudyDonald M Lloyd-Jones
Department of Preventive Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 680 N Lake Shore Drive, Suite 1102, Chicago, IL, 60611, USA
Circulation 110:1042-6. 2004..Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common cardiac dysrhythmia and a source of considerable morbidity and mortality, but lifetime risk for AF has not been estimated...
- Hepatocellular carcinoma incidence, mortality, and survival trends in the United States from 1975 to 2005Sean F Altekruse
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, and the Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20892 8316, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:1485-91. 2009Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is the third leading cause of cancer mortality worldwide. Incidence rates are increasing in the United States...
- Antidiabetic therapies affect risk of pancreatic cancerDonghui Li
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Gastroenterology 137:482-8. 2009..We investigated the effect of antidiabetic therapies on the risk of pancreatic cancer...
- The diabetes risk score: a practical tool to predict type 2 diabetes riskJaana Lindström
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Diabetes Care 26:725-31. 2003..Interventions to prevent type 2 diabetes should be directed toward individuals at increased risk for the disease. To identify such individuals without laboratory tests, we developed the Diabetes Risk Score...
- Secular trends in the incidence of hip and other osteoporotic fracturesC Cooper
The MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit, Southampton General Hospital, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Osteoporos Int 22:1277-88. 2011..Substantial geographic variation has been noted in the incidence of hip fracture throughout the world, and estimates of recent incidence trends have varied widely...
- Induced abortion: incidence and trends worldwide from 1995 to 2008Gilda Sedgh
Guttmacher Institute, New York, NY, USA
Lancet 379:625-32. 2012Data of abortion incidence and trends are needed to monitor progress toward improvement of maternal health and access to family planning. To date, estimates of safe and unsafe abortion worldwide have only been made for 1995 and 2003.
- Secular trends in incidence of atrial fibrillation in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1980 to 2000, and implications on the projections for future prevalenceYoko Miyasaka
Division of Cardiovascular Disease and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Circulation 114:119-25. 2006Limited data exist on trends in incidence of atrial fibrillation (AF). We assessed the community-based trends in AF incidence for 1980 to 2000 and provided prevalence projections to 2050.
- Estimates of the cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2006J Ferlay
International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Ann Oncol 18:581-92. 2007Monitoring the evolution of the cancer burden in Europe is of great value. Estimates of the cancer burden in Europe have been published for 2004 and estimates are now being presented for cancer incidence and mortality in Europe for 2006.
- Longitudinal study of infectious intestinal disease in the UK (IID2 study): incidence in the community and presenting to general practiceClarence C Tam
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Gut 61:69-77. 2012To estimate, overall and by organism, the incidence of infectious intestinal disease (IID) in the community, presenting to general practice (GP) and reported to national surveillance.
- The incidence of congenital heart diseaseJulien I E Hoffman
Department of Pediatrics and the Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 39:1890-900. 2002This study was designed to determine the reasons for the variability of the incidence of congenital heart disease (CHD), estimate its true value and provide data about the incidence of specific major forms of CHD...
- Quantifying the burden of disease: the technical basis for disability-adjusted life yearsC J Murray
Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, Cambridge, MA 02138
Bull World Health Organ 72:429-45. 1994..Assigned to each class is a severity weight between 0 and 1. Finally, a three percent discount rate is used in the calculation of DALYs. The formula for calculating DALYs based on these assumptions is provided...
- Assessment of baseline age-specific antibody prevalence and incidence of infection to novel influenza A/H1N1 2009P Hardelid
Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Health Technol Assess 14:115-92. 2010..in the population of England prior to arrival of the pandemic strain virus in the UK and (2) the age-specific incidence of infection by month as the pandemic progressed by measuring increases in the proportion of individuals with ..
- Decline in the AIDS and death rates in the EuroSIDA study: an observational studyA Mocroft
Royal Free Centre for HIV Medicine and Department of Primary Care and Population Sciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
Lancet 362:22-9. 2003..Since the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), little is known about whether changes in HIV-1 mortality and morbidity rates have been sustained. We aimed to assess possible changes in these rates across Europe...
- Cancer incidence and mortality in relation to body mass index in the Million Women Study: cohort studyGillian K Reeves
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LF
BMJ 335:1134. 2007To examine the relation between body mass index (kg/m2) and cancer incidence and mortality.
- Global estimate of the incidence of clinical pneumonia among children under five years of ageIgor Rudan
Department of Medical Stastistics, Epidemiology and Medical Infomatics, School of Public Health Andrija Stampar, Zagreb, Croatia
Bull World Health Organ 82:895-903. 2004..In this paper we aim to estimate the worldwide incidence of clinical pneumonia in young children.
- Worldwide stroke incidence and early case fatality reported in 56 population-based studies: a systematic reviewValery L Feigin
National Research Centre for Stroke, Applied Neurosciences and Neurorehabilitation, School of Rehabilitation and Occupation Studies, AUT University, North Shore Campus, AA254, Northcote 0627, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Lancet Neurol 8:355-69. 2009This systematic review of population-based studies of the incidence and early (21 days to 1 month) case fatality of stroke is based on studies published from 1970 to 2008...
- Perinatal depression: a systematic review of prevalence and incidenceNorma I Gavin
RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, PO Box 12194, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
Obstet Gynecol 106:1071-83. 2005We systematically review evidence on the prevalence and incidence of perinatal depression and compare these rates with those of depression in women at non-childbearing times.
- Future of cancer incidence in the United States: burdens upon an aging, changing nationBenjamin D Smith
Radiation Oncology Flight, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, 2200 Bergquist Dr, Ste 1, TX 78236, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:2758-65. 2009..Although cancer incidence varies by age and race, the impact of demographic changes on cancer incidence has not been fully characterized...
- Malaria in Brazil: an overviewJoseli Oliveira-Ferreira
Laboratório de Pesquisa em Malária, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Pavilhão Leônidas Deane 5 degrees andar, Av Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, RJ CEP 21 045 900, RJ Brazil
Malar J 9:115. 2010..Although the main mosquito vector (Anopheles darlingi) is present in about 80% of the country, currently the incidence of malaria in Brazil is almost exclusively (99,8% of the cases) restricted to the region of the Amazon Basin, ..
- Selected major risk factors and global and regional burden of diseaseMajid Ezzati
Risk, Resources and Environmental Management Division, Resources for the Future, Washington, DC, USA
Lancet 360:1347-60. 2002..Our aim was to estimate the contributions of selected major risk factors to global and regional burden of disease in a unified framework...
- Identification of hot spots of malaria transmission for targeted malaria controlTeun Bousema
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 201:1764-74. 2010..This heterogeneity creates opportunities for targeted interventions but only if hot spots of malaria transmission can be easily identified...
- Increasing incidence and prevalence of the inflammatory bowel diseases with time, based on systematic reviewNatalie A Molodecky
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gastroenterology 142:46-54.e42; quiz e30. 2012We conducted a systematic review to determine changes in the worldwide incidence and prevalence of ulcerative colitis (UC) and Crohn's disease (CD) in different regions and with time.
- Prostate cancer incidence and mortality trends in 37 European countries: an overviewF Bray
Cancer Information Section, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Eur J Cancer 46:3040-52. 2010Prostate cancer has emerged as the most frequent cancer amongst men in Europe, with incidence increasing rapidly over the past two decades...
- Fasting serum glucose level and cancer risk in Korean men and womenSun Ha Jee
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, Graduate School of Public Health, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
JAMA 293:194-202. 2005..Diabetes is a serious and costly disease that is becoming increasingly common in many countries. The role of diabetes as a cancer risk factor remains unclear...
- Rising incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in the United StatesH B El-Serag
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque 87108, USA
N Engl J Med 340:745-50. 1999..data from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) data base to determine the age-adjusted incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma from 1976 to 1995, data from the U.S...
- Rates of HIV-1 transmission per coital act, by stage of HIV-1 infection, in Rakai, UgandaMaria J Wawer
Heilbrun Department of Population and Family Health, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Infect Dis 191:1403-9. 2005..We estimated rates of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 transmission per coital act in HIV-discordant couples by stage of infection in the index partner...
- The incidence and severity of adverse events affecting patients after discharge from the hospitalAlan J Forster
University of Ottawa, F654 1053 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4E9, Canada
Ann Intern Med 138:161-7. 2003..Studies of hospitalized patients identify safety as a significant problem, but few data are available regarding injuries occurring after discharge. Patients may be vulnerable during this transition period...
- Incidence and prevalence of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisGanesh Raghu
University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98195 6522, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:810-6. 2006..Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is a chronic interstitial lung disease of unknown etiology; its epidemiology in the United States has not been well characterized...
- Trends in tuberculosis incidence and their determinants in 134 countriesC Dye
Stop TB Department, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 87:683-91. 2009To determine whether differences in national trends in tuberculosis incidence are attributable to the variable success of control programmes or to biological, social and economic factors.
- Impact of intermittent preventive treatment with sulphadoxine-pyrimethamine targeting the transmission season on the incidence of clinical malaria in children in MaliAlassane Dicko
Malaria Research and Training Center, Departments of Epidemiology of Parasitic Diseases, Faculty of Medicine Pharmacy and Dentistry, University of Bamako, P O Box 1805, Bamako, Mali
Malar J 7:123. 2008..that intermittent preventive malaria treatment (IPT) in infants in areas of stable malaria transmission reduces malaria and severe anaemia incidence. However in most areas malaria morbidity and mortality remain high in older children.
- Population-based studies on incidence, survival rates, and genetic alterations in astrocytic and oligodendroglial gliomasHiroko Ohgaki
Pathology Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer HO, F 69372, Lyon, France
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 64:479-89. 2005..This review summarizes data on incidence rates, survival, and genetic alterations from population-based studies of astrocytic and oligodendrogliomas that ..
- Herpes simplex virus 2 infection increases HIV acquisition in men and women: systematic review and meta-analysis of longitudinal studiesEsther E Freeman
Infectious Disease Epidemiology Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
AIDS 20:73-83. 2006..To estimate the sex-specific effect of herpes simplex virus type 2 (HSV-2) on the acquisition of HIV infection...
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis: incidence and risk factorsGiovanna Fattovich
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Gastroenterology 127:S35-50. 2004..Hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection is associated with the highest HCC incidence in persons with cirrhosis, occurring twice as commonly in Japan than in the West (5-year cumulative incidence, ..
- New testing strategy to detect early HIV-1 infection for use in incidence estimates and for clinical and prevention purposesR S Janssen
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD, and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
JAMA 280:42-8. 1998Differentiating individuals with early human immunodeficiency virus 1 (HIV-1) infection from those infected for longer periods is difficult but important for estimating HIV incidence and for purposes of clinical care and prevention.
- Nosocomial bloodstream infections in US hospitals: analysis of 24,179 cases from a prospective nationwide surveillance studyHilmar Wisplinghoff
Department of Internal Medicine, Medical College of Virginia Campus, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, USA
Clin Infect Dis 39:309-17. 2004..Nosocomial bloodstream infections (BSIs) are important causes of morbidity and mortality in the United States...
- Carotid-artery intima and media thickness as a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke in older adults. Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research GroupD H O'Leary
Department of Radiology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
N Engl J Med 340:14-22. 1999..We studied the associations between the thickness of the carotid-artery intima and media and the incidence of new myocardial infarction or stroke in persons without clinical cardiovascular disease.
- Incidence and mortality of venous thrombosis: a population-based studyI A Naess
Department of Cancer Research and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology NTNU, Trondheim, Norway
J Thromb Haemost 5:692-9. 2007Estimates of the incidence of venous thrombosis (VT) vary, and data on mortality are limited.
- Travelling waves in the occurrence of dengue haemorrhagic fever in ThailandDerek A T Cummings
Department of Geography and Environmental Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland 21218, USA
Nature 427:344-7. 2004..An understanding of the spatial-temporal pattern of DHF incidence would aid the allocation of resources to combat these epidemics...
- Age-specific incidence of A/H1N1 2009 influenza infection in England from sequential antibody prevalence data using likelihood-based estimationMarc Baguelin
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Health Protection Agency, London, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 6:e17074. 2011Estimating the age-specific incidence of an emerging pathogen is essential for understanding its severity and transmission dynamics...
- Effect of human rotavirus vaccine on severe diarrhea in African infantsShabir A Madhi
Department of Science and Technology National Research Foundation Vaccine Preventable Diseases, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
N Engl J Med 362:289-98. 2010..Rotavirus is the most common cause of severe gastroenteritis among young children worldwide. Data are needed to assess the efficacy of the rotavirus vaccine in African children...
- The case for expanding access to highly active antiretroviral therapy to curb the growth of the HIV epidemicJulio S G Montaner
British Columbia Centre for Excellence in HIV AIDS, Providence Health Care, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Lancet 368:531-6. 2006
- Effect of herpes simplex suppression on incidence of HIV among women in TanzaniaDeborah Watson-Jones
London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London
N Engl J Med 358:1560-71. 2008..This study tested the hypothesis that HSV-2 suppressive therapy reduces the risk of HIV acquisition...
- Quantitative detection of increasing HIV type 1 antibodies after seroconversion: a simple assay for detecting recent HIV infection and estimating incidenceBharat S Parekh
Division of AIDS, STD, TB Laboratory Research, and Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 18:295-307. 2002..The assay was further validated in African specimens (subtypes A, C, and D) where the observed incidence was within 10% of the expected incidence...
- Five-year risk of progression of primary angle closure to primary angle closure glaucoma: a population-based studyRavi Thomas
LV Prasad Eye Institute, LV Prasad Marg, Banjara Hills, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh 500 034, India
Acta Ophthalmol Scand 81:480-5. 2003..To report the 5-year progression to primary angle closure glaucoma (PACG) in a population-based cohort of primary angle closure (PAC) subjects...
- Determination of the Plasmodium vivax relapse pattern in Camopi, French GuianaMatthieu Hanf
Centre d Investigation Clinique Epidémiologie Clinique Antilles Guyane CIC EC Inserm 802, Centre Hospitalier de Cayenne, Guyane Francaise
Malar J 8:278. 2009..As in others endemic areas, it is important to specify the pattern of vivax malaria relapses and to try to discriminate efficiently re-infections from relapses...
- Buenos Aires cohort of men who have sex with men: prevalence, incidence, risk factors, and molecular genotyping of HIV type 1Marcela Segura
Centro Nacional de Referencia para el SIDA, Departamento de Microbiologia, Parasitologia e Inmunologia, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires, Argentina
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses 23:1322-9. 2007The prevalence, incidence, risk factors, and molecular genotyping of HIV-1 infection among men who have sex with men (MSM) were assessed through a prospective cohort study...
- Modelling of malaria temporal variations in IranAli Akbar Haghdoost
Physiology Research Centre, Kerman University of Medical Science, Kerman, Iran
Trop Med Int Health 13:1501-8. 2008..To model the temporal variations in malaria episodes in a hypo-endemic area of Iran and to assess the feasibility of an epidemic early warning system...
- Prediction model for prevalence and incidence of advanced age-related macular degeneration based on genetic, demographic, and environmental variablesJohanna M Seddon
Ophthalmic Epidemiology and Genetics Service, Tufts University School of Medicine and Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02111, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 50:2044-53. 2009The joint effects of genetic, ocular, and environmental variables were evaluated and predictive models for prevalence and incidence of AMD were assessed.
- The incidence and risk factors of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitisMustafa S Ascha
Department of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, The Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Hepatology 51:1972-8. 2010..The aims of this study were to (1) estimate the incidence of HCC in patients with NASH-related cirrhosis, (2) compare incidence in NASH-related cirrhosis with hepatitis C ..
- Incidence of hospital admissions and severe outcomes during the first and second waves of pandemic (H1N1) 2009Melissa Helferty
Centre for Immunization and Respiratory Infectious Diseases, Public Health Agency of Canada, Ottawa, Ont, Canada
CMAJ 182:1981-7. 2010..We compared the incidence of hospital admissions and severe outcomes (admission to intensive care unit [ICU] and death) during the two ..
- Therapy-related leukemia and myelodysplasia: susceptibility and incidenceGiuseppe Leone
Istituto di Ematologia, Universita Cattolica S Cuore, L go A Gemelli, 1, 00168 Rome, Italy
Haematologica 92:1389-98. 2007..In all cases the risk of t-MDS/AML drops sharply by 10 years after treatment...
- Association of glycaemia with macrovascular and microvascular complications of type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 35): prospective observational studyI M Stratton
Diabetes Trials Unit, Oxford Centre for Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Oxford, Radcliffe Infirmary, Oxford OX2 6HE
BMJ 321:405-12. 2000..To determine the relation between exposure to glycaemia over time and the risk of macrovascular or microvascular complications in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Diabetes in Ontario: determination of prevalence and incidence using a validated administrative data algorithmJanet E Hux
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Canada
Diabetes Care 25:512-6. 2002..We linked physician service claims (PSCs) and hospital discharge abstracts (HDAs) to determine diabetes prevalence and incidence.
- Increasing incidence of differentiated thyroid cancer in the United States, 1988-2005Amy Y Chen
Emory University, Atlanta, GA, USA
Cancer 115:3801-7. 2009Studies have reported an increasing incidence of thyroid cancer since 1980. One possible explanation for this trend is increased detection through more widespread and aggressive use of ultrasound and image-guided biopsy...
- Incidence, predictors at admission, and impact of worsening renal function among patients hospitalized with heart failureDaniel E Forman
Section of Cardiology, Boston Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts 02188, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 43:61-7. 2004..The goal of this study was to determine the prevalence of worsening renal function (WRF) among hospitalized heart failure (HF) patients, clinical predictors of WRF, and hospital outcomes associated with WRF...
- Insulin glargine use and short-term incidence of malignancies-a population-based follow-up study in SwedenJ M Jonasson
Division of Clinical Cancer Epidemiology, Department of Oncology, Onkologiskt centrum, Sahlgrenska Academy, 41345, Gothenburg, Sweden
Diabetologia 52:1745-54. 2009..In the light of a report suggesting that insulin glargine may increase cancer occurrence, the EASD asked us to perform this study...
- Estimation of HIV incidence in the United StatesH Irene Hall
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
JAMA 300:520-9. 2008b>Incidence of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) in the United States has not been directly measured. New assays that differentiate recent vs long-standing HIV infections allow improved estimation of HIV incidence.
- The epidemiology of genital human papillomavirus infectionHelen Trottier
Department of Oncology, McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Vaccine 24:S1-15. 2006..This shift in research focus coincides with a shift in cancer prevention techniques towards immunization with HPV vaccines and HPV testing of precancerous lesions...
- Incidence trends for human papillomavirus-related and -unrelated oral squamous cell carcinomas in the United StatesAnil K Chaturvedi
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Clin Oncol 26:612-9. 2008..HPV) on the epidemiology of oral squamous cell carcinomas (OSCCs) in the United States, we assessed differences in patient characteristics, incidence, and survival between potentially HPV-related and HPV-unrelated OSCC sites.
- Effect of a fall in malaria transmission on morbidity and mortality in Kilifi, KenyaWendy P O'Meara
Kenya Medical Research Institute, Centre for Geographic Medicine Research Wellcome Trust Collaborative Program, Kilifi, Kenya Fogarty International Center, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
Lancet 372:1555-62. 2008..We aimed to assess the epidemiological characteristics of malaria in Kilifi, Kenya, during a period of decreasing transmission intensity...
- Decrease of the incidence of human and canine visceral leishmaniasis after dog vaccination with Leishmune in Brazilian endemic areasClarisa B Palatnik-de-Sousa
Department of General Microbiology, Institute of Microbiology Prof Paulo de Góes, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro UFRJ, Rio de Janeiro, RJ, Brazil
Vaccine 27:3505-12. 2009..We also analyzed the possible additive effect of Leishmune vaccination over dog culling, on the decrease of the incidence of CVL and VL in two Brazilian endemic areas, from 2004 to 2006...
- Estrogen plus progestin and breast cancer incidence and mortality in postmenopausal womenRowan T Chlebowski
Los Angeles Biomedical Research Institute at Harbor UCLA Medical Center, 1124 W Carson St, Torrance, CA 90502, USA
JAMA 304:1684-92. 2010..6 (SD, 1.3) years (range, 3.7-8.6 years) and a mean follow-up of 7.9 (SD, 1.4) years, breast cancer incidence was increased among women who received combined hormone therapy...
- Time series analysis of dengue incidence in Rio de Janeiro, BrazilPaula M Luz
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, Yale University, New Haven, Connecticut 06511, USA
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:933-9. 2008We use the Box-Jenkins approach to fit an autoregressive integrated moving average (ARIMA) model to dengue incidence in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, from 1997 to 2004...
- Impact of Antibiotics and Vaccines on the in vivo Evolution of S. pneumoniaeGarth Ehrlich; Fiscal Year: 2009..reducing the incidence of those types, unfortunately other nonvaccine types have arisen introduction a few years ago of a vaccine ..
- Pancreas Cancer Specialized Program of Research Excelle*Anton Wellstein; Fiscal Year: 2006..Both men and women will be included in numbers proportionate to the incidence of the disease and there are adequate plans for the inclusion of minority populations...
- Biomarkers of Metabolic and Vascular Risk in ObesityVASAN S RAMACHANDRAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..and vascular dysfunction, will distinguish obesity subphenotypes cross-sectionally, and prospectively predict incidence of diabetes, dyslipidemia, hypertension (HTN) and cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Biomarkers of Metabolic and Vascular Risk in ObesityVasan Ramachandran; Fiscal Year: 2009..and vascular dysfunction, will distinguish obesity subphenotypes cross-sectionally, and prospectively predict incidence of diabetes, dyslipidemia, hypertension (HTN) and cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- The Effect of Aflatoxin Regulation on Global Liver Cancer RiskFelicia Wu; Fiscal Year: 2010..provide decision- makers information on how to set foodborne aflatoxin standards that reduce global liver cancer incidence. Liver cancer (hepatocellular carcinoma) is the 3rd-leading cause of cancer deaths worldwide, with an increasing ..
- Diet and Gastrointestinal Cancer Risk in African Americans and Rural AfricansSTEPHEN JD O apos KEEFE; Fiscal Year: 2010Geographical variations in cancer incidence can be attributed to environmental causes in general, and to diet, in particular...
- Venous thromboembolism among California cancer patientsHelen Chew; Fiscal Year: 2003..However, there is surprisingly little data regarding the incidence and time course of VTE and the risk of recurrent VTE among patients with a specific malignancy defined by ..
- Alcohol Consumption and Risk of NHL: Role of MTOR DysfunctionRonald Gartenhaus; Fiscal Year: 2009The incidence of Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) in the USA has dramatically increased over the past two decades...
- Alcohol Consumption and Risk of NHL: Role of MTOR DysfunctionRONALD BENJAMIN GARTENHAUS; Fiscal Year: 2010The incidence of Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) in the USA has dramatically increased over the past two decades...
- A Pap Test Intervention to Enhance Decision Making among Pacific Islander WomenSORA PARK contact TANJASIRI; Fiscal Year: 2010..many ethnic and racial populations, including Pacific Islanders (PIs) who have high rates of cervical cancer incidence and mortality...
- Disparities in cervical cancer precursors and deregulation of imprinted genesSusan Kay Murphy; Fiscal Year: 2010..cervical intraepithelial lesions (CIN) and its aggressive treatment has resulted in decreased cervical cancer incidence and mortality, an estimated 11,000 cases of invasive cervical cancer (ICC) and 40,000 cases of carcinoma in situ ..
- Hazardous Air Pollutants and Lymphohematopoietic Cancer Incidence in Houston 1995Elaine Symanski; Fiscal Year: 2007..PI: Symanski, Elaine 1 R03 CA128106-01 Title: Hazardous Air Pollutants and Lymphohematopoietic Cancer Incidence in Houston 1995-2005 Research and Related attachment #6: Project Summary/Abstract Page Hazardous Air Pollutants ..
- MECHANISMS OF ALLOGENEIC STEM CELL EDUCATION IN SCIDRebecca H Buckley; Fiscal Year: 2010..we plan to measure telomere length in the T cells of the various molecular types of transplants, 3) reducing the incidence of autoimmunity, and 4) contributing to their overall successful immune transplantation may be beneficial to ..
- EXPOSURE TO BLOOD AMONG NON-HOSPITAL HEALTH CARE WORKERSJack Leiss; Fiscal Year: 2002..Specific aims are to (i) estimate the incidence of blood exposure among non- hospital health care workers engaged in patient care, (ii) identify and quantity ..
- Gestural Interfaces and Robotics for RehabilitationCorinna Lathan; Fiscal Year: 2007..6% and an incidence of 43/100,000 children per year...
- Cerebrovascular Disease and its Consequences in the Strong Study CohortDedra Buchwald; Fiscal Year: 2009..physical exams, laboratory and cardiac studies, and chart reviews to describe risk factors, prevalence, and incidence of cardiovascular disease morbidity and mortality...
- LOSARTAN INTERVENTION FOR ENDPOINT REDUCTION (LIFE)Otelio Randall; Fiscal Year: 2000..phase is completed--only patient followup is continuing) that, compared to atenolol, losartan will reduce the incidence of cardiovascular (CV) morbidity and mortality in patients with essential hypertension and left ventricular ..
- Incidence, risk factors, and consequences of neonatal hypothermia in NepalLUKE MULLANY; Fiscal Year: 2007..The overall goal of this secondary data analysis is to estimate the incidence, risk factors, and health consequences of hypothermia among newborns in a rural population of southern Nepal...
- Impact of Environmental Pollutants on Breast Cancer and*Julia Brody; Fiscal Year: 2005DESCRIPTION: Breast cancer incidence continues to rise in all age groups in the US, with an increase in age-adjusted incidence of more than 40% from the early 1970s to the late 1990s...