Genomes and Genes
Summary: The number of new cases of a given disease during a given period in a specified population. It also is used for the rate at which new events occur in a defined population. It is differentiated from PREVALENCE, which refers to all cases, new or old, in the population at a given time.
Publications284 found, 100 shown here
- Prevention of type 2 diabetes mellitus by changes in lifestyle among subjects with impaired glucose toleranceJ Tuomilehto
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
N Engl J Med 344:1343-50. 2001..Whether type 2 diabetes can be prevented by interventions that affect the lifestyles of subjects at high risk for the disease is not known...
- Global cancer statistics, 2002D Max Parkin
Unit of Descriptive Epidemiology, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
CA Cancer J Clin 55:74-108. 2005Estimates of the worldwide incidence, mortality and prevalence of 26 cancers in the year 2002 are now available in the GLOBOCAN series of the International Agency for Research on Cancer...
- Epidemiology of severe sepsis in the United States: analysis of incidence, outcome, and associated costs of careD C Angus
Critical Care Medicine Division, Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care Medicine, and the Center for Research on Health Care, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Crit Care Med 29:1303-10. 2001To determine the incidence, cost, and outcome of severe sepsis in the United States.
- Cancer incidence and mortality patterns in Europe: estimates for 40 countries in 2012J Ferlay
Section of Cancer Information, International Agency for Research on Cancer IARC, France
Eur J Cancer 49:1374-403. 2013Cancer incidence and mortality estimates for 25 cancers are presented for the 40 countries in the four United Nations-defined areas of Europe and for the European Union (EU-27) for 2012.
- Incidence of 2009 pandemic influenza A H1N1 infection in England: a cross-sectional serological studyElizabeth Miller
Immunisation, Hepatitis and Blood Safety Department, Health Protection Agency Centre for Infections, London, UK
Lancet 375:1100-8. 2010Knowledge of the age-specific prevalence of immunity from, and incidence of infection with, 2009 pandemic influenza A H1N1 virus is essential for modelling the future burden of disease and the effectiveness of interventions such as ..
- The epidemiology of sepsis in the United States from 1979 through 2000Greg S Martin
Division of Pulmonary, Allergy, and Critical Care, Department of Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, USA
N Engl J Med 348:1546-54. 2003..there is limited epidemiologic information about the demography of sepsis or about the temporal changes in its incidence and outcome...
- Dengue and dengue hemorrhagic feverD J Gubler
Division of Vector Borne Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522, USA
Clin Microbiol Rev 11:480-96. 1998..A major challenge for public health officials in all tropical areas of the world is to develop and implement sustainable prevention and control programs that will reverse the trend of emergent dengue hemorrhagic fever...
- Reduction in the incidence of type 2 diabetes with lifestyle intervention or metforminWilliam C Knowler
Diabetes Prevention Program Coordinating Center, Biostatistics Center, George Washington University, 6110 Executive Blvd, Suite 750, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
N Engl J Med 346:393-403. 2002..We hypothesized that modifying these factors with a lifestyle-intervention program or the administration of metformin would prevent or delay the development of diabetes...
- The growing burden of tuberculosis: global trends and interactions with the HIV epidemicElizabeth L Corbett
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, England, UK
Arch Intern Med 163:1009-21. 2003..The increasing global burden of tuberculosis (TB) is linked to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection...
- Epidemiology and etiology of childhood pneumoniaIgor Rudan
Croatian Centre for Global Health, University of Split Medical School, Split, Croatia
Bull World Health Organ 86:408-16. 2008Childhood pneumonia is the leading single cause of mortality in children aged less than 5 years. The incidence in this age group is estimated to be 0.29 episodes per child-year in developing and 0...
- Male circumcision for HIV prevention in men in Rakai, Uganda: a randomised trialRonald H Gray
Johns Hopkins University, Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21215, USA
Lancet 369:657-66. 2007Ecological and observational studies suggest that male circumcision reduces the risk of HIV acquisition in men. Our aim was to investigate the effect of male circumcision on HIV incidence in men.
- Incidence and outcomes of acute lung injuryGordon D Rubenfeld
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98104 2499, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1685-93. 2005..Despite recent advances in our understanding of the mechanism and treatment of acute lung injury, its incidence and outcomes in the United States have been unclear.
- The diabetes risk score: a practical tool to predict type 2 diabetes riskJaana Lindström
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Diabetes Care 26:725-31. 2003..Interventions to prevent type 2 diabetes should be directed toward individuals at increased risk for the disease. To identify such individuals without laboratory tests, we developed the Diabetes Risk Score...
- Estimated HIV incidence in the United States, 2006-2009Joseph Prejean
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, United States of America
PLoS ONE 6:e17502. 2011..Previously, CDC estimated HIV incidence in the United States in 2006 as 56,300 (95% CI: 48,200-64,500)...
- Incidence trends for childhood type 1 diabetes in Europe during 1989-2003 and predicted new cases 2005-20: a multicentre prospective registration studyChristopher C Patterson
Epidemiology Research Group, Centre for Public Health, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast, UK
Lancet 373:2027-33. 2009The incidence of type 1 diabetes in children younger than 15 years is increasing. Prediction of future incidence of this disease will enable adequate fund allocation for delivery of care to be planned...
- Increasing incidence of thyroid cancer in the United States, 1973-2002Louise Davies
VA Outcomes Group, Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, White River Junction, VT 05009, USA
JAMA 295:2164-7. 2006Increasing cancer incidence is typically interpreted as an increase in the true occurrence of disease but may also reflect changing pathological criteria or increased diagnostic scrutiny...
- International variation in prostate cancer incidence and mortality ratesMelissa M Center
Intramural Research, American Cancer Society, Atlanta, GA 30303 1002, USA
Eur Urol 61:1079-92. 2012..Wide variation exists internationally for prostate cancer (PCa) rates due to differences in detection practices, treatment, and lifestyle and genetic factors...
- Diabetes and cancer: a consensus reportEdward Giovannucci
Department of Nutrition, Department of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Diabetes Care 33:1674-85. 2010Epidemiologic evidence suggests that cancer incidence is associated with diabetes as well as certain diabetes risk factors and diabetes treatments...
- Diabetes in Ontario: determination of prevalence and incidence using a validated administrative data algorithmJanet E Hux
Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences, Toronto, Canada
Diabetes Care 25:512-6. 2002..We linked physician service claims (PSCs) and hospital discharge abstracts (HDAs) to determine diabetes prevalence and incidence.
- Global patterns of cancer incidence and mortality rates and trendsAhmedin Jemal
Surveillance and Health Policy Research Department, American Cancer Society, 250 Williams Street Northwest, Atlanta, GA 30303 1002, USA
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 19:1893-907. 2010While incidence and mortality rates for most cancers (including lung, colorectum, female breast, and prostate) are decreasing in the United States and many other western countries, they are increasing in several less developed and ..
- The incidence of congenital heart diseaseJulien I E Hoffman
Department of Pediatrics and the Cardiovascular Research Institute, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
J Am Coll Cardiol 39:1890-900. 2002This study was designed to determine the reasons for the variability of the incidence of congenital heart disease (CHD), estimate its true value and provide data about the incidence of specific major forms of CHD...
- Effect of three decades of screening mammography on breast-cancer incidenceArchie Bleyer
Quality Department, St Charles Health System, Central Oregon, Portland, USA
N Engl J Med 367:1998-2005. 2012..Effective cancer-screening programs therefore both increase the incidence of cancer detected at an early stage and decrease the incidence of cancer presenting at a late stage.
- Gestational diabetes and the incidence of type 2 diabetes: a systematic reviewCatherine Kim
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109, USA
Diabetes Care 25:1862-8. 2002..To examine factors associated with variation in the risk for type 2 diabetes in women with prior gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM)...
- An estimate of the worldwide prevalence and disability associated with osteoporotic fracturesO Johnell
Department of Orthopaedics, Malmo University Hospital, Malmo, Sweden
Osteoporos Int 17:1726-33. 2006..The aim of this study was to quantify the global burden of osteoporotic fracture worldwide...
- Rising incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma in the United StatesH B El-Serag
Veterans Affairs Medical Center and the University of New Mexico, Albuquerque 87108, USA
N Engl J Med 340:745-50. 1999..data from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results (SEER) data base to determine the age-adjusted incidence of hepatocellular carcinoma from 1976 to 1995, data from the U.S...
- The worldwide incidence of preterm birth: a systematic review of maternal mortality and morbidityStacy Beck
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, USA
Bull World Health Organ 88:31-8. 2010To analyse preterm birth rates worldwide to assess the incidence of this public health problem, map the regional distribution of preterm births and gain insight into existing assessment strategies.
- Population-based studies on incidence, survival rates, and genetic alterations in astrocytic and oligodendroglial gliomasHiroko Ohgaki
Pathology Group, International Agency for Research on Cancer HO, F 69372, Lyon, France
J Neuropathol Exp Neurol 64:479-89. 2005..This review summarizes data on incidence rates, survival, and genetic alterations from population-based studies of astrocytic and oligodendrogliomas that ..
- Prenatal and passive smoke exposure and incidence of asthma and wheeze: systematic review and meta-analysisHannah Burke
Division of Epidemiology and Public Health, University of Nottingham, City Hospital, UK Centre for Tobacco Control Studies, Nottingham, UK
Pediatrics 129:735-44. 2012..A systematic review and meta-analysis was conducted to provide estimates of the prospective effect of smoking by parents or household members on the risk of wheeze and asthma at different stages of childhood...
- Global epidemiology of oral and oropharyngeal cancerSaman Warnakulasuriya
Department of Oral Medicine and Experimental Oral Pathology, King s College Dental Institute, Bessemer Road, London SE5 9RS, UK
Oral Oncol 45:309-16. 2009This review presents data on incidence, mortality, survival and trends in cancers of the lip, oral cavity and oropharynx using available recent data sources around the world...
- Estimating the global clinical burden of Plasmodium falciparum malaria in 2007Simon I Hay
Spatial Ecology and Epidemiology Group, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 7:e1000290. 2010....
- Global epidemiology of meningococcal diseaseLee H Harrison
Infectious Diseases Epidemiology Research Unit, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Graduate School of Public Health, 521 Parran Hall, 130 DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, United States
Vaccine 27:B51-63. 2009..By far the highest incidence of meningococcal disease occurs in the meningitis belt of sub-Saharan Africa...
- A predominantly clonal multi-institutional outbreak of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea with high morbidity and mortalityVivian G Loo
Department of Microbiology, McGill University Health Center, Montreal, Que, Canada
N Engl J Med 353:2442-9. 2005In March 2003, several hospitals in Quebec, Canada, noted a marked increase in the incidence of Clostridium difficile-associated diarrhea.
- ACC/AHA/ESC 2006 Guidelines for the Management of Patients with Atrial Fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice Valentin Fuster
Circulation 114:e257-354. 2006
- Permutation tests for joinpoint regression with applications to cancer ratesH J Kim
Syracuse University, Department of Mathematics, 215 Carnegie Building, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY 13244 1150, USA
Stat Med 19:335-51. 2000The identification of changes in the recent trend is an important issue in the analysis of cancer mortality and incidence data...
- Cancer incidence and mortality in relation to body mass index in the Million Women Study: cohort studyGillian K Reeves
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford OX3 7LF
BMJ 335:1134. 2007To examine the relation between body mass index (kg/m2) and cancer incidence and mortality.
- Air pollution and lung cancer incidence in 17 European cohorts: prospective analyses from the European Study of Cohorts for Air Pollution Effects (ESCAPE)Ole Raaschou-Nielsen
Danish Cancer Society Research Center, Copenhagen, Denmark
Lancet Oncol 14:813-22. 2013Ambient air pollution is suspected to cause lung cancer. We aimed to assess the association between long-term exposure to ambient air pollution and lung cancer incidence in European populations.
- Malaria in Brazil: an overviewJoseli Oliveira-Ferreira
Laboratório de Pesquisa em Malária, Instituto Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Pavilhão Leônidas Deane 5 degrees andar, Av Brasil 4365, Manguinhos, Rio de Janeiro, RJ CEP 21 045 900, RJ Brazil
Malar J 9:115. 2010..Although the main mosquito vector (Anopheles darlingi) is present in about 80% of the country, currently the incidence of malaria in Brazil is almost exclusively (99,8% of the cases) restricted to the region of the Amazon Basin, ..
- Decline in the AIDS and death rates in the EuroSIDA study: an observational studyA Mocroft
Royal Free Centre for HIV Medicine and Department of Primary Care and Population Sciences, Royal Free and University College Medical School, London, UK
Lancet 362:22-9. 2003..Since the introduction of highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART), little is known about whether changes in HIV-1 mortality and morbidity rates have been sustained. We aimed to assess possible changes in these rates across Europe...
- The long-term effect of lifestyle interventions to prevent diabetes in the China Da Qing Diabetes Prevention Study: a 20-year follow-up studyGuangwei Li
Department of Endocrinology, China Japan Friendship Hospital, Beijing, China
Lancet 371:1783-9. 2008Intensive lifestyle interventions can reduce the incidence of type 2 diabetes in people with impaired glucose tolerance, but how long these benefits extend beyond the period of active intervention, and whether such interventions reduce ..
- Human papillomavirus and rising oropharyngeal cancer incidence in the United StatesAnil K Chaturvedi
National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, 6120 Executive Blvd, EPS 7072, Rockville, MD 20852, USA
J Clin Oncol 29:4294-301. 2011Recent increases in incidence and survival of oropharyngeal cancers in the United States have been attributed to human papillomavirus (HPV) infection, but empirical evidence is lacking.
- Increasing incidence and prevalence of the inflammatory bowel diseases with time, based on systematic reviewNatalie A Molodecky
Department of Medicine, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Gastroenterology 142:46-54.e42; quiz e30. 2012We conducted a systematic review to determine changes in the worldwide incidence and prevalence of ulcerative colitis (UC) and Crohn's disease (CD) in different regions and with time.
- Profile: The Kilifi Health and Demographic Surveillance System (KHDSS)J Anthony G Scott
Kenya Medical Research Institute, Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kilifi, Kenya
Int J Epidemiol 41:650-7. 2012..Linked surveillance was extended to KHDSS vaccine clinics in 2008. KHDSS data have been used to define the incidence of hospital presentation with childhood infectious diseases (e.g...
- Cancer statistics in Korea: incidence, mortality and survival in 2006-2007Kyu Won Jung
The Korea Central Cancer Registry, National Cancer Center, Goyang, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 25:1113-21. 2010Cancer has been the leading cause of death in Korea. Korea is facing a very rapid change and increase in cancer incidence, which draws much attention in public health...
- Sustained reductions in invasive pneumococcal disease in the era of conjugate vaccineTamara Pilishvili
Division of Bacterial Diseases and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia, USA
J Infect Dis 201:32-41. 2010Changes in invasive pneumococcal disease (IPD) incidence were evaluated after 7 years of 7-valent pneumococcal conjugate vaccine (PCV7) use in US children.
- Air pollution and incidence of hypertension and diabetes mellitus in black women living in Los AngelesPatricia F Coogan
Slone Epidemiology Center at Boston University, 1010 Commonwealth Ave, Boston, MA 02215, USA
Circulation 125:767-72. 2012..Preliminary epidemiological and clinical evidence suggests that air pollution may contribute to the development of hypertension and type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in cirrhosis: incidence and risk factorsGiovanna Fattovich
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Verona, Verona, Italy
Gastroenterology 127:S35-50. 2004..Hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection is associated with the highest HCC incidence in persons with cirrhosis, occurring twice as commonly in Japan than in the West (5-year cumulative incidence, ..
- Incidence of human papillomavirus (HPV) positive tonsillar carcinoma in Stockholm, Sweden: an epidemic of viral-induced carcinoma?Anders Näsman
Department of Oncology Pathology, Karolinska Institutet, Stockholm, Sweden
Int J Cancer 125:362-6. 2009In the county of Stockholm, between 1970 and 2002, we have previously reported a 3-fold parallel increase in the incidence of tonsillar squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) and the proportion of human papillomavirus (HPV) positive tonsillar SCC...
- Incidence estimate of nonmelanoma skin cancer in the United States, 2006Howard W Rogers
Advanced Dermatology, 111 Salem Turnpike, Norwich, CT 06360, USA
Arch Dermatol 146:283-7. 2010To estimate the incidence of nonmelanoma skin cancer (NMSC) in the US population in 2006 and secondarily to indicate trends in numbers of procedures for skin cancer treatment.
- Short-term effects of daily aspirin on cancer incidence, mortality, and non-vascular death: analysis of the time course of risks and benefits in 51 randomised controlled trialsPeter M Rothwell
Stroke Prevention Research Unit, Nuffield Department of Clinical Neuroscience, University of Oxford, UK
Lancet 379:1602-12. 2012..However, the short-term effect is less certain, especially in women, effects on cancer incidence are largely unknown, and the time course of risk and benefit in primary prevention is unclear...
- Longitudinal study of infectious intestinal disease in the UK (IID2 study): incidence in the community and presenting to general practiceClarence C Tam
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London WC1E 7HT, UK
Gut 61:69-77. 2012To estimate, overall and by organism, the incidence of infectious intestinal disease (IID) in the community, presenting to general practice (GP) and reported to national surveillance.
- Sugar-sweetened beverages, weight gain, and incidence of type 2 diabetes in young and middle-aged womenMatthias B Schulze
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, Mass, USA
JAMA 292:927-34. 2004....
- Obesity and the risk of heart failureSatish Kenchaiah
Framingham Heart Study, Framingham, Mass 01702, USA
N Engl J Med 347:305-13. 2002..Extreme obesity is recognized to be a risk factor for heart failure. It is unclear whether overweight and lesser degrees of obesity also pose a risk...
- Breast and ovarian cancer risks due to inherited mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2Mary Claire King
Departments of Medicine and Genome Sciences, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Science 302:643-6. 2003..Lifetime risks of ovarian cancer were 54% for BRCA1 and 23% for BRCA2 mutation carriers. Physical exercise and lack of obesity in adolescence were associated with significantly delayed breast cancer onset...
- Primary liver cancer: worldwide incidence and trendsF Xavier Bosch
Epidemiology and Cancer Registration Unit, IDIBELL Institut Català d Oncologia, Avda Gran Via s n, Km 2 7 08907 L Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona, Spain
Gastroenterology 127:S5-S16. 2004..Rates of liver cancer in men are typically 2 to 4 times higher than in women. The incidence of primary liver cancer is increasing in several developed countries, including the United States, and the ..
- Increasing incidence of colorectal cancer in Asia: implications for screeningJoseph J Y Sung
Institute of Digestive Diseases, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Prince of Wales Hospital, Shatin, Hong Kong
Lancet Oncol 6:871-6. 2005..including China, Japan, South Korea, and Singapore, have experienced an increase of two to four times in the incidence of colorectal cancer during the past few decades...
- Bacteremia among children admitted to a rural hospital in KenyaJames A Berkley
Centre for Geographic Medicine Research Coast, Kilifi, Kenya
N Engl J Med 352:39-47. 2005..We studied every acute pediatric admission to a rural district hospital in Kenya to examine the prevalence, incidence, types, and outcome of community-acquired bacteremia.
- The relationship between anti-merozoite antibodies and incidence of Plasmodium falciparum malaria: A systematic review and meta-analysisFreya J I Fowkes
The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Parkville, Victoria, Australia
PLoS Med 7:e1000218. 2010..However, published evidence of the protective effect of these antibodies is conflicting...
- Effect of continuous positive airway pressure on the incidence of hypertension and cardiovascular events in nonsleepy patients with obstructive sleep apnea: a randomized controlled trialFerran Barbe
Coordinator Centre, IRB Lleida, Lleida, Spain
JAMA 307:2161-8. 2012..However, its indication for all patients with sleep-disordered breathing, regardless of daytime symptoms, is unclear...
- The Indian Diabetes Prevention Programme shows that lifestyle modification and metformin prevent type 2 diabetes in Asian Indian subjects with impaired glucose tolerance (IDPP-1)A Ramachandran
Diabetes Research Centre, M V Hospital for Diabetes, WHO Collaborating Centre for Research, Education and Training in Diabetes, Royapuram, Chennai, India
Diabetologia 49:289-97. 2006..In a prospective community-based study, we tested whether the progression to diabetes could be influenced by interventions in native Asian Indians with IGT who were younger, leaner and more insulin resistant than the above populations...
- Strategies for mitigating an influenza pandemicNeil M Ferguson
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London, St Mary s Campus, Norfolk Place, London W2 1PG, UK
Nature 442:448-52. 2006..Estimates of policy effectiveness will change if the characteristics of a future pandemic strain differ substantially from those seen in past pandemics...
- Patterns of cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence across five continents: defining priorities to reduce cancer disparities in different geographic regions of the worldFarin Kamangar
Nutritional Epidemiology and Biostatistics Branches, Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services, Rockville, MD 20852 7244, USA
J Clin Oncol 24:2137-50. 2006Efforts to reduce global cancer disparities begin with an understanding of geographic patterns in cancer incidence, mortality, and prevalence...
- Refining clinical risk stratification for predicting stroke and thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation using a novel risk factor-based approach: the euro heart survey on atrial fibrillationGregory Y H Lip
University of Birmingham Centre for Cardiovascular Sciences, City Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Chest 137:263-72. 2010..Thus, many potential risk factors have not been included...
- Effect of screening and adjuvant therapy on mortality from breast cancerDonald A Berry
Department of Biostatistics and Applied Mathematics, M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 353:1784-92. 2005..We used modeling techniques to assess the relative and absolute contributions of screening mammography and adjuvant treatment to the reduction in breast-cancer mortality in the United States from 1975 to 2000...
- Efficacy of quadrivalent HPV vaccine against HPV Infection and disease in malesAnna R Giuliano
Risk Assessment, Detection, and Intervention Program, H Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, Tampa, FL 33612, USA
N Engl J Med 364:401-11. 2011..We report on the safety of a quadrivalent vaccine (active against HPV types 6, 11, 16, and 18) and on its efficacy in preventing the development of external genital lesions and anogenital HPV infection in boys and men...
- Lifetime risk for development of atrial fibrillation: the Framingham Heart StudyDonald M Lloyd-Jones
Department of Preventive Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, 680 N Lake Shore Drive, Suite 1102, Chicago, IL, 60611, USA
Circulation 110:1042-6. 2004..Atrial fibrillation (AF) is the most common cardiac dysrhythmia and a source of considerable morbidity and mortality, but lifetime risk for AF has not been estimated...
- HIV treatment as prevention: systematic comparison of mathematical models of the potential impact of antiretroviral therapy on HIV incidence in South AfricaJeffrey W Eaton
Department of Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Imperial College London, London, United Kingdom
PLoS Med 9:e1001245. 2012..This study compares the predictions of several mathematical models simulating the same ART intervention programmes to determine the extent to which models agree about the epidemiological impact of expanded ART...
- Antidiabetic therapies affect risk of pancreatic cancerDonghui Li
Department of Gastrointestinal Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Gastroenterology 137:482-8. 2009..We investigated the effect of antidiabetic therapies on the risk of pancreatic cancer...
- Perinatal depression: a systematic review of prevalence and incidenceNorma I Gavin
RTI International, 3040 Cornwallis Road, PO Box 12194, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 2194, USA
Obstet Gynecol 106:1071-83. 2005We systematically review evidence on the prevalence and incidence of perinatal depression and compare these rates with those of depression in women at non-childbearing times.
- Clinical epidemiology of inflammatory bowel disease: Incidence, prevalence, and environmental influencesEdward V Loftus
Inflammatory Bowel Disease Clinic, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Gastroenterology 126:1504-17. 2004Although the incidence and prevalence of ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are beginning to stabilize in high-incidence areas such as northern Europe and North America, they continue to rise in low-incidence areas such as southern ..
- Estimates of the cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2006J Ferlay
International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Ann Oncol 18:581-92. 2007Monitoring the evolution of the cancer burden in Europe is of great value. Estimates of the cancer burden in Europe have been published for 2004 and estimates are now being presented for cancer incidence and mortality in Europe for 2006.
- Secular trends in incidence of atrial fibrillation in Olmsted County, Minnesota, 1980 to 2000, and implications on the projections for future prevalenceYoko Miyasaka
Division of Cardiovascular Disease and Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Circulation 114:119-25. 2006Limited data exist on trends in incidence of atrial fibrillation (AF). We assessed the community-based trends in AF incidence for 1980 to 2000 and provided prevalence projections to 2050.
- Quantifying the burden of disease: the technical basis for disability-adjusted life yearsC J Murray
Harvard Center for Population and Development Studies, Cambridge, MA 02138
Bull World Health Organ 72:429-45. 1994..Assigned to each class is a severity weight between 0 and 1. Finally, a three percent discount rate is used in the calculation of DALYs. The formula for calculating DALYs based on these assumptions is provided...
- Secular trends in the incidence of hip and other osteoporotic fracturesC Cooper
The MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit, Southampton General Hospital, University of Southampton, Southampton SO16 6YD, UK
Osteoporos Int 22:1277-88. 2011..Substantial geographic variation has been noted in the incidence of hip fracture throughout the world, and estimates of recent incidence trends have varied widely...
- Induced abortion: incidence and trends worldwide from 1995 to 2008Gilda Sedgh
Guttmacher Institute, New York, NY, USA
Lancet 379:625-32. 2012Data of abortion incidence and trends are needed to monitor progress toward improvement of maternal health and access to family planning. To date, estimates of safe and unsafe abortion worldwide have only been made for 1995 and 2003.
- Assessment of baseline age-specific antibody prevalence and incidence of infection to novel influenza A/H1N1 2009P Hardelid
Centre for Infections, Health Protection Agency, London, UK
Health Technol Assess 14:115-92. 2010..in the population of England prior to arrival of the pandemic strain virus in the UK and (2) the age-specific incidence of infection by month as the pandemic progressed by measuring increases in the proportion of individuals with ..
- Burden of disease caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae in children younger than 5 years: global estimatesKatherine L O'Brien
GAVI s PneumoADIP, Department of International Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA
Lancet 374:893-902. 2009..To support local and global policy decisions on pneumococcal disease prevention and treatment, we estimated country-specific incidence of serious cases and deaths in children younger than 5 years.
- The global burden of typhoid feverJohn A Crump
Foodborne and Diarrheal Diseases Branch, Division of Bacterial and Mycotic Diseases, National Center for Infectious Diseases, MS A 38, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Bull World Health Organ 82:346-53. 2004..To use new data to make a revised estimate of the global burden of typhoid fever, an accurate understanding of which is necessary to guide public health decisions for disease control and prevention efforts...
- The incidence of co-morbidities related to obesity and overweight: a systematic review and meta-analysisDaphne P Guh
Centre for Health Evaluation and Outcome Sciences, St Paul s Hospital, BC, Canada
BMC Public Health 9:88. 2009..The primary objective of this study is to provide an estimate of the incidence of each co-morbidity related to obesity and overweight using a meta-analysis.
- Global estimate of the incidence of clinical pneumonia among children under five years of ageIgor Rudan
Department of Medical Stastistics, Epidemiology and Medical Infomatics, School of Public Health Andrija Stampar, Zagreb, Croatia
Bull World Health Organ 82:895-903. 2004..In this paper we aim to estimate the worldwide incidence of clinical pneumonia in young children.
- Hepatocellular carcinoma incidence, mortality, and survival trends in the United States from 1975 to 2005Sean F Altekruse
Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, and the Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD 20892 8316, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:1485-91. 2009Hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) is the third leading cause of cancer mortality worldwide. Incidence rates are increasing in the United States...
- Fasting serum glucose level and cancer risk in Korean men and womenSun Ha Jee
Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, Graduate School of Public Health, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
JAMA 293:194-202. 2005..Diabetes is a serious and costly disease that is becoming increasingly common in many countries. The role of diabetes as a cancer risk factor remains unclear...
- Future of cancer incidence in the United States: burdens upon an aging, changing nationBenjamin D Smith
Radiation Oncology Flight, Wilford Hall Medical Center, Lackland Air Force Base, 2200 Bergquist Dr, Ste 1, TX 78236, USA
J Clin Oncol 27:2758-65. 2009..Although cancer incidence varies by age and race, the impact of demographic changes on cancer incidence has not been fully characterized...
- Selected major risk factors and global and regional burden of diseaseMajid Ezzati
Risk, Resources and Environmental Management Division, Resources for the Future, Washington, DC, USA
Lancet 360:1347-60. 2002..Our aim was to estimate the contributions of selected major risk factors to global and regional burden of disease in a unified framework...
- Prostate cancer incidence and mortality trends in 37 European countries: an overviewF Bray
Cancer Information Section, International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Eur J Cancer 46:3040-52. 2010Prostate cancer has emerged as the most frequent cancer amongst men in Europe, with incidence increasing rapidly over the past two decades...
- Identification of hot spots of malaria transmission for targeted malaria controlTeun Bousema
Department of Infectious and Tropical Diseases, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, United Kingdom
J Infect Dis 201:1764-74. 2010..This heterogeneity creates opportunities for targeted interventions but only if hot spots of malaria transmission can be easily identified...
- Global burden of respiratory infections due to seasonal influenza in young children: a systematic review and meta-analysisHarish Nair
Centre for Population Health Sciences, Global Health Academy, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Lancet 378:1917-30. 2011..We aimed to estimate the global incidence of and mortality from lower respiratory infections associated with influenza in children younger than 5 years.
- Estimated global incidence of Japanese encephalitis: a systematic reviewGrant L Campbell
Ross River Consulting, LaPorte, United States of America
Bull World Health Organ 89:766-74, 774A-774E. 2011To update the estimated global incidence of Japanese encephalitis (JE) using recent data for the purpose of guiding prevention and control efforts.
- Rates of HIV-1 transmission per coital act, by stage of HIV-1 infection, in Rakai, UgandaMaria J Wawer
Heilbrun Department of Population and Family Health, Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Infect Dis 191:1403-9. 2005..We estimated rates of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-1 transmission per coital act in HIV-discordant couples by stage of infection in the index partner...
- The incidence and severity of adverse events affecting patients after discharge from the hospitalAlan J Forster
University of Ottawa, F654 1053 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario K1Y 4E9, Canada
Ann Intern Med 138:161-7. 2003..Studies of hospitalized patients identify safety as a significant problem, but few data are available regarding injuries occurring after discharge. Patients may be vulnerable during this transition period...
- Incidence and prevalence of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosisGanesh Raghu
University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle, WA 98195 6522, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 174:810-6. 2006..Idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis is a chronic interstitial lung disease of unknown etiology; its epidemiology in the United States has not been well characterized...
- Estimates of cancer incidence and mortality in Europe in 2008J Ferlay
International Agency for Research on Cancer, 150 cours Albert Thomas, 69372 Lyon Cedex 08, France
Eur J Cancer 46:765-81. 2010..the relevant information for 2008 is not generally available as yet, we used statistical models to estimate incidence and mortality data for 25 cancers in 40 European countries (grouped and individually) in 2008...
- Forecast of dengue incidence using temperature and rainfallYien Ling Hii
Umeå Centre for Global Health Research, Epidemiology and Global Health, Department of Public Health and Clinical Medicine, Umea University, Umea, Sweden
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 6:e1908. 2012..The aim of this study was to develop and validate a forecasting model that could predict dengue cases and provide timely early warning in Singapore...
- Long-term colorectal-cancer incidence and mortality after lower endoscopyReiko Nishihara
Department of Medical Oncology, Dana Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
N Engl J Med 369:1095-105. 2013..Colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy provide protection against colorectal cancer, but the magnitude and duration of protection, particularly against cancer of the proximal colon, remain uncertain...
- Cancer incidence and incidence rates in Japan in 2007: a study of 21 population-based cancer registries for the Monitoring of Cancer Incidence in Japan (MCIJ) projectAyako Matsuda
Surveillance Division, Center for Cancer Control and Information Services, National Cancer Center, 5 1 1 Tsukiji, Chuo Ku, Tokyo, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 43:328-36. 2013The Japan Cancer Surveillance Research Group aimed to estimate the cancer incidence in Japan in 2007 based on data collected from 21 out of 33 population-based cancer registries as part of the Monitoring of Cancer Incidence in Japan (..
- Global burden of acute lower respiratory infections due to respiratory syncytial virus in young children: a systematic review and meta-analysisHarish Nair
Centre for Population Health Sciences, Global Health Academy, The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, UK
Lancet 375:1545-55. 2010..We aimed to estimate the global incidence of and mortality from episodes of acute lower respiratory infection (ALRI) due to RSV in children younger than 5 ..
- Worldwide burden of cervical cancer in 2008M Arbyn
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, Scientific Institute of Public Health, Brussels, Belgium
Ann Oncol 22:2675-86. 2011..Up-to-date and reliable data are needed to assess impact of existing preventive measures and to define priorities for the future...
- Annual report to the nation on the status of cancer, 1975-2006, featuring colorectal cancer trends and impact of interventions (risk factors, screening, and treatment) to reduce future ratesBrenda K Edwards
Surveillance Research Program, Division of Cancer Control and Population Sciences, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 8315, USA
Cancer 116:544-73. 2010..This year's report includes trends in colorectal cancer (CRC) incidence and death rates and highlights the use of microsimulation modeling as a tool for interpreting past trends and ..
- Trends in tuberculosis incidence and their determinants in 134 countriesC Dye
Stop TB Department, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 87:683-91. 2009To determine whether differences in national trends in tuberculosis incidence are attributable to the variable success of control programmes or to biological, social and economic factors.
- Carotid-artery intima and media thickness as a risk factor for myocardial infarction and stroke in older adults. Cardiovascular Health Study Collaborative Research GroupD H O'Leary
Department of Radiology, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, MA, USA
N Engl J Med 340:14-22. 1999..We studied the associations between the thickness of the carotid-artery intima and media and the incidence of new myocardial infarction or stroke in persons without clinical cardiovascular disease.
- Relation between falciparum malaria and bacteraemia in Kenyan children: a population-based, case-control study and a longitudinal studyJ Anthony G Scott
Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Kilifi, Kenya org
Lancet 378:1316-23. 2011..Many investigators have suggested that malaria infection predisposes individuals to bacteraemia. We tested this hypothesis with mendelian randomisation studies of children with the malaria-protective phenotype of sickle-cell trait (HbAS)...
- Solid cancer incidence in atomic bomb survivors: 1958-1998D L Preston
Hirosoft International, Eureka, California, USA
Radiat Res 168:1-64. 2007This is the second general report on radiation effects on the incidence of solid cancers (cancers other than malignancies of the blood or blood-forming organs) among members of the Life Span Study (LSS) cohort of Hiroshima and Nagasaki ..
- Novel TIRF microscopy analyzing trafficking & signaling at the cell cortexDerek Toomre; Fiscal Year: 2009..Consistent with the recovery act's goal, this funding will provide full-time summer employment for 4 undergraduate students and accelerate scientific achievement of the parent DP2 award...
- Chymase-Mediated MMP Activation in Ishemia Reperfusion InjuryLOUIS JOSEPH DELL'ITALIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..response to the onset of chest pain coupled with the widespread use of statins and other drugs have reversed the incidence of ST elevation/nonST elevation MI from 70%/30% in the early 1990's to 30%/70% today...
- Sutureless Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy Using Laser Tissue Welding: PreclinicYasmin Wadia; Fiscal Year: 2013..3% localized or 181493 patients. Although the overall incidence of RCC has been steadily increasing for the past two decades, in large part due to the increased application of ..
- Transcription factors regulating sensory gene expression and pain pathwaysEric E Turner; Fiscal Year: 2011..Veterans are especially susceptable to suffering and disability from pain syndromes because of the high incidence of past trauma from military service...
- NIEHS SUPPORT OF THE AHS COHORT STUDY AT NCICharles Knott; Fiscal Year: 2010..Analyses on cancer incidence and other chronic diseases is continuing and a number of manuscripts focusing on cancer incidence overall, ..
- THE AGRICULTURAL HEALTH STUDY - FIELD STATIONSCharles Lynch; Fiscal Year: 2010..Analyses on cancer incidence and other chronic diseases is continuing and a number of manuscripts focusing on cancer incidence overall, ..
- The gastric X/A-like (ghrelin) cell: A peripheral regulator of food intakeNILS WG LAMBRECHT; Fiscal Year: 2012..type in the USA, and that the 158 medical facilities include over 5 million patients, strategies to reduce the incidence of obesity and cachexia related morbidity and mortality are likely to have a beneficial impact not only on ..
- Autonomic, Endothelial, and Inflammatory Correlates of Sleep DurationMERCEDES RENEE CARNETHON; Fiscal Year: 2012Short sleep duration (<6 hours/night) is associated with a higher prevalence and incidence of hypertension, diabetes, and overweight/obesity, all of which can contribute to coronary heart disease...
- Angiotensin Adrenergic Interactions in the KidneyRoland C Blantz; Fiscal Year: 2013..requiring artificial kidney treatments or kidney transplantation, but also contributes greatly to the very high incidence of heart and circulatory disease...
- Targeting Galectin-3 with novel drugs for treatment of eczemaFu Tong Liu; Fiscal Year: 2010..has increased two- to three-fold during the past three decades in industrialized countries, where the current incidence in children is estimated to be 15-20%...
- Development of a Nonpsychotropic Cannabinoid Agonist for the Treatment of SclerodRobert B Zurier; Fiscal Year: 2012..Available data, while variable, indicate an incidence in the United States of 9 t 19 cases /million/year, and prevalence rates ranging from 28 to 253 cases/million (2)..
- Optimized Growth Media to Detect Intracellular Bacteria Implicated in Chronic DisPATRICIA MASCARELLI; Fiscal Year: 2011..b>Incidence of different Bartonella species by regions due to the existence of chronic carriers and/or vectors should be ..
- Retinoid and Carotenoid Depletion in Patients at High-Risk for Liver CancerPeter H Gann; Fiscal Year: 2010..Due to the epidemic of hepatitis C in the 1960's-70's, incidence has increased;approximately 3...
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialMona Fouad; Fiscal Year: 2013..Participants will be contacted annually to determine current health status. Follow up includes ascertainment of adverse medical outcomes, cancer incidence, cause of death, and mortality impact.
- Prostate, Lung, Colorectal and Ovarian (PLCO) Screening TrialBARBARA O'BRIEN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Participants will be contacted annually to determine current health status. Follow up includes ascertainment of adverse medical outcomes, cancer incidence, cause of death, and mortality impact.
- Natural History and Prevention of Viral Hepatitis Among Alaska NativesBRIAN JAMES MCMAHON; Fiscal Year: 2013..B immunization strategies for infants, children, adolescents and adults have significantly decreased the incidence and prevalence of acute and chronic hepatitis B infection...
- Reactive (AA)AmyloidosisMerrill D Benson; Fiscal Year: 2013..Veterans with paraplegia often have chronic infections such as osteomyelitis and, therefore, have an increased incidence of AA amyloidosis...
- Soluble Epoxide Hydrolase as a Target for Ischemic CardioprotectionDonna M Van Winkle; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, current demographics show a high incidence of obesity, hypertension, and diabetes in young adults that herald a large increase in heart disease and ..
- Development of VN/14-1 and Related Analogs for Breast Cancer TherapyVINCENT COLLINS OFUKA NJAR; Fiscal Year: 2013..highlights the influence of vitamin A (retinol) and its active metabolite, all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA) on the incidence of breast and prostate cancers in humans...
- Impact of the P479L Variant in CPT1A on Infant Mortality in AlaskaDavid M Koeller; Fiscal Year: 2011..newborn screening by tandem mass spectrometry (MS/MS), which led to the identification of an unexpectedly high incidence of carnitine palmitoyltransferase 1A (CPT1A) deficiency, a rare disorder of fatty acid oxidation...
- Prospective studies of cancer etiology and prevention in Shanghai and SingaporeJian Min Yuan; Fiscal Year: 2013..The findings of the proposed study will have great impact on reducing incidence and mortality of lung and liver cancers in humans.
- Metabolic Engineering of Bacteria for Cancer Immunotherapy by Gamma Delta T CellsCraig T Morita; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In the United States and throughout the world, cancer incidence and mortality has increased dramatically in both developed and developing nations. Cancer causes ~13% of human deaths with 7...
- Chronic nicotine and synaptic transmission in brainstem respiratory neuronsRALPH FRANK FREGOSI; Fiscal Year: 2013..provided by applicant): At least 20% of pregnant women smoke, and their offspring have a higher than normal incidence of impaired cardiac function, autonomic nervous system disorders, sleep disorders, delayed speech and central ..
- MOLECULAR BASIS OF INSULIN RESISTANCEMaureen J Charron; Fiscal Year: 2010The incidence of Type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) and the Metabolic Syndrome has reached epidemic proportions. Human and rodent studies provide strong support for a genetic predisposition to these pathologies...
- A Hybrid Katp Channel Opener to Prevent Radiocontrast-Induced NephropathyKanneganti Murthy; Fiscal Year: 2012..The high incidence of atherosclerosis in this population frequently necessitates angiographic procedures of the coronary and ..
- Mechanism of Bladder Overactivity in Pelvic IschemiaKazem M Azadzoi; Fiscal Year: 2013..The incidence of bladder overactivity and LUTS increases with age...
- VitC to Decrease Effects of Smoking in Pregnancy on Infant Lung Function-CCC-LeadCYNTHIA T MCEVOY; Fiscal Year: 2013..function tests in infants born to smoking mothers who received vitamin C, and preliminary data showing a lower incidence of wheezing at 1 year of age in these infants...
- INSULIN RECEPTORS AND THE GLUCOSE TRANSPORT SYSTEMJERROLD MICHAEL OLEFSKY; Fiscal Year: 2013..resistance and it is the epidemic of obesity in the United States which is driving the dramatically increasing incidence of Type 2 diabetes...
- Tat and CDK9 on gene expression alterations coupled to HIV-1 Associated DementiaXavier Grana; Fiscal Year: 2010..While HAART has diminished the incidence of HIV-1-associated dementia (HAD), milder forms of neurological disease persist...
- Chronic Sleep Restriction Increases Immunity to Autoantigen: Role of the SNSArnold E Postlethwaite; Fiscal Year: 2010..Our studies show that both the severity and the incidence of arthritis are significantly increased in mice chronically sleep-restricted compared to control litter mates ..
- Mitochondrial dysfunction, oxidative stress, and surgical acute kidney injuryFREDERIC TREMAINE BILLINGS; Fiscal Year: 2013..a trial testing the hypothesis that short-term high- dose perioperative atorvastatin treatment reduces the incidence of postoperative AKI in which 270 subjects have already been studied (PI: Billings)...
- Prevention of UV-induced carcinogenesis by cyanidin-3-glucosideXianglin Shi; Fiscal Year: 2013..of skin cancer by natural non-toxic compounds is suggested as an effective strategy to prevent the incidence of skin cancer...
- Role of Diabetes in Development of Renal Cell CarcinomaSAMY LEWIZ HABIB; Fiscal Year: 2013..Eker rats harboring mutations in TSC2 develop spontaneous renal tumors at a very high incidence. We showed also that loss of function of the tumor suppressor gene, tuberous sclerosis complex 2 (TSC2), which ..
- Combination drug treatment to inhibit multiple cell death pathways after TBIALAN IRA FADEN; Fiscal Year: 2010..It has been reported that the combined incidence of fatal and hospitalized TBI among all age groups has a median annual incidence of 101 per 100,000...
- Bisphosphonates in the treatment of chronic kidney disease-mineral bone diseaseSharon M Moe; Fiscal Year: 2013DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): In patients with chronic kidney disease (CKD), there is an increased incidence of low bone mass and fractures and coronary artery calcification and cardiovascular mortality compared to the general ..
- Immune Mechanism of Rejection in Human Lung AllograftsThalachallour Mohanakumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..This will result in a marked reduction in the incidence and severity of PGD which will lead to reduction in the proinflammatory cytokine surge, down regulation of both ..
- A MicroRNA Approach to Screen for Sporadic Colon Cancer Exfoliately in Human StooFarid E Ahmed; Fiscal Year: 2010..CRC incidence has declined from about 60 per 100,000 in 1975 to ~ 50 per 100,000 in 2004, and the decrease in USA mortality ..
- Latin American Center for Malaria Research and ControlSOCRATES HERRERA VALENCIA; Fiscal Year: 2013..The studies proposed for aim 1 are directed to determine the real prevalence and incidence of malaria by considering both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals living in seasonal areas in LA...
- Central Action of Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor in Male and Female RatsHaifei Shi; Fiscal Year: 2010..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: As the prevalence of overweight and obesity is rising, the incidence of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and some types of cancer is increasing at a similar alarming rate...
- Twenty-second Annual Fanconi Anemia Research Fund Scientific SymposiumGROVER CARLTON BAGBY; Fiscal Year: 2010..anemia (FA) is a rare hereditary disease characterized by bone marrow failure, developmental anomalies, a high incidence of myelodysplasia (MDS), acute non-lymphocytic leukemia (AML), solid tumors, and cellular hypersensitivity to ..
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF COMPLEX MIXTURE TOXICITYAlvaro Puga; Fiscal Year: 2013..translation of these epidemiological findings and, by identifying molecular targets useful to reduce disease incidence, will significantly contribute to the development of therapeutic and preventative measures...
- 24th Annual Fanconi Anemia Research Fund Scientific SymposiumGROVER CARLTON BAGBY; Fiscal Year: 2012..anemia (FA) is a rare hereditary disease characterized by bone marrow failure, developmental anomalies, high incidence of myelodysplasia (MDS), acute non-lymphocytic leukemia (AML), solid tumors, and cellular hypersensitivity to ..
- Lactoferrin Enhances Growth and Reduces Nosocomial Infection in Preterm InfantsKarel Petrak; Fiscal Year: 2009..The overall incidence of prospectively studied NIs in hospitalized neonates has been reported to be 10.8 NI/100 patients...
- Regulation of Innate and Adaptive Immunity in Human COPD and EmphysemaFarrah Kheradmand; Fiscal Year: 2012..Despite an overall decline in the smoking prevalence in the United States, smoking incidence remains higher in veterans when compared to the same age group in the general population...
- Iron-Induced Changes in Liver That Predispose to MalignancyHarriet C Isom; Fiscal Year: 2010..Preventative strategies are highly important in reducing the incidence and death from HCC. HCC is a slow process that occurs in the setting of liver cell injury...
- Development of Vaccines against Clostridium difficile InfectionSAUL R TZIPORI; Fiscal Year: 2013..With the recent emergence of hypervirulent strains, the incidence of C...
- MOLECULAR MECHANISMS OF DIOXIN ACTIONAlvaro Puga; Fiscal Year: 2013..goal is to identify the mechanisms and causes of these cardiac diseases and to develop tools to prevent their incidence. The objective of these studies is to determine whether an association between genetic and environmental factors ..
- Expanding Vietnamese Community and Academic Infrastructure for Health ResearchBang H Nguyen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Potential impact in health of the example projects supported the infrastructure services are reducing incidence and mortality caused by obesity;diabetes;sexually transmitted diseases;late stage breast cancer diagnosis;breast,..
- Early Life Conditions, Survival, and Health: A Pedigree-Based Population StudyKen R Smith; Fiscal Year: 2013..outcomes are age-specific all-cause and cause-specific mortality, co-morbidity risks, site-specific cancer incidence, and morbidity trajectories. Aim 2...
- Nitric Oxide Restoration &Heme Detoxification as Adjunctive Therapies for CerebrLEONARDO JOSE DE MOURA CARVALHO; Fiscal Year: 2012..Adjunctive therapies for CM capable of improving survival and decreasing incidence of sequelae are urgently needed...
- Effects of Standardized Aerobic Exercise-Training on Neurocognitive and NeurodegeThomas O Obisesan; Fiscal Year: 2010..Given that AAs: i) have higher incidence and prevalence of AD than Caucasians, ii) have paucity of cross-sectional, and lack prospective data on the ..
- Effect of diet & commensal bacteria on diabetes outcome in NOD mouseLi Wen; Fiscal Year: 2010..by environmental factors as a) there is a significant discordance in T1D outcome in identical twins and b) the incidence of T1D is much higher in the Western world...
- Transplatin: A Novel Agent to Mitigate Cisplatin ToxicityVickram Ramkumar; Fiscal Year: 2013..However, this drug produces dose-limiting side effects such as ototoxicity and nephrotoxicity. While the incidence of nephrotoxicity is reduced by hydrating the patients prior to cisplatin administration, ototoxicity remains a ..
- Diagnosis of Subglottic Stenosis and Edema in Neonates Using OCTBrian Wong; Fiscal Year: 2013..Early diagnosis of disease onset may lead to reduction in the incidence of tracheostomy and other airway complications...
- Targeting Cell Death to Prevent Ventricular Remodeling and Heart FailureAbhinav Diwan; Fiscal Year: 2011..RELEVANCE: Project Narrative Heart failure is a very common disease of the aging population, with the highest incidence and prevalence in the age group above 65, which is also the largest Veteran population group (more than 40%)...
- Role of Retroelements in Environmental AtherogenesisKenneth S Ramos; Fiscal Year: 2010..Recent studies have shown that the incidence of this disease is accelerated by environmental contaminants, but the genetic mechanisms that mediate this ..
- Mechanims of CNS Autonomic Regulation by EAJohn C Longhurst; Fiscal Year: 2013..Although acupuncture may be a viable inexpensive alternative that has a very low incidence of side effects, physicians generally are reluctant to recommend this therapy because little data are available ..
- Disease chronicity in juvenile dermatomyositis (JDM): Epigenetic cluesLauren M Pachman; Fiscal Year: 2013..This defined a high serum IFN-1 subgroup within JDM, which may contribute to the increased incidence of JDM in girls...
- Genistein and Prostate CancerRajvir Dahiya; Fiscal Year: 2010..The rationale for this project is that Western men have a 5-6 fold higher incidence of prostate cancer than Asians...
- Inhibiting Mucosal HIV-1 Transmission by Host Cell RNA InterferenceAlexandra L Howell; Fiscal Year: 2013..S. Veteran and active military population, and because of the increasing incidence of this disease in the U.S.
- Modifiers of Cyst Progression in Polycystic Kidney DiseasePhillip Darwin Bell; Fiscal Year: 2013..There are also cardiovascular effects including hypertension and stroke. For reasons that are not clear, the incidence of PKD reported in the VA population is nearly double of that found in the general non- VA population...
- Advanced Nitric Oxide Release Bactericidal Urinary CathetersMark E Meyerhoff; Fiscal Year: 2013..CAUTIs contribute to 0.5-0.7 million nosocomial hospital infections annually with a cumulative incidence of 3-6% per day of catheterization (50% at 10 days, >90% at 28 days, 100% long term) leading to complications ..
- Triazole hypersensitivity in Candida albicansNeeraj Chauhan; Fiscal Year: 2009There has been a steady increase in the incidence of fungal infections over the past few decades, primarily due to the AIDS pandemic...
- Safety and PK Study in Hepatic Impairment PatientsWeizhong Cai; Fiscal Year: 2010..are expected to triple over the next decade as a result of the hepatitis C epidemic and the growing incidence of liver disease associated with non-alcoholic steatohepatitis...
- Epidemiology and Etiology of Hospitalized Pneumonia in ChildrenKrow Ampofo; Fiscal Year: 2010..Although the burden of pneumonia in children is well appreciated, recent data on the incidence and etiology of pneumonia in children are few...
- Combined raman spectroscopy-optical tomagraphy for complete diagnosis of skin canAnita Mahadevan Jansen; Fiscal Year: 2009The incidence of skin cancer has been on the rise in recent years and as in most cancers, early diagnosis and thorough treatment (i.e., complete resection) are the keys to gain a favorable prognosis...
- Attenuating the retinal and CNS adverse effects of vigabatrin with NKCC1 inhibitoFrances E Jensen; Fiscal Year: 2010..Infantile spasms is a subgroup of epilepsy and has an incidence of approximately 1 per 2000 live births, with seizures being refractory and if untreated leads to greater than a ..
- Rapid Response Surveillance Study #09-5 - Constructing Geographic Areas in GIS foSally L Glaser; Fiscal Year: 2009..The analysis of cancer incidence often suffers from the small population problem manifested in unreliable rate estimates, sensitivity to missing ..
- Chicago Community-Acquired Pneumonia ConsortiumRichard G Wunderink; Fiscal Year: 2010..An accurate determination of the population-based incidence is critical to determine the opportunities for prevention, such as expansion of serotypes included in the ..
- Reasons for Racial Disparities in Venous ThromboembolismNEIL ADRIAN ZAKAI; Fiscal Year: 2010..The greatest difficulty in studying the reasons for this disparity in incidence is due in great part to a paucity of African-Americans in research studies of VTE to date, especially where risk ..
- USING CLAIMS DATA FOR CANCER SURVEILLANCELynne Penberthy; Fiscal Year: 2000..Because of its high incidence, devastating impact, and potential preventability, monitoring cancer epidemiology is essential...
- Mutational Cloning in Familial Dementia and Alzheimers DiseaseWendy H Raskind; Fiscal Year: 2010..Topic 08-AG-106 Cross-disease research to identify commonly targeted pathways or mechanisms between low incidence, neurogenetic disorders with high incidence, population-based disease...
- Venous thromboembolism among California cancer patientsHelen Chew; Fiscal Year: 2003..However, there is surprisingly little data regarding the incidence and time course of VTE and the risk of recurrent VTE among patients with a specific malignancy defined by ..
- SIRT1 Overexpression in Cellular Mitochondrial Metabolism and FunctionJames Russell; Fiscal Year: 2009..A major public health problem is the increase in the incidence of obesity-related diseases, such as diabetes and its complications and the increased incidence of ..
- FLORIDA FIREFIGHTER CANCER INCIDENCE AND MORTALITYLora Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2001..To date, there is only one published standardized incidence ratio study of firefighting and cancer...
- Determinants of Participation in an Anal Cancer Prevention TrialJoel Palefsky; Fiscal Year: 2010..Among HIV-positive individuals, the incidence of anal cancer has continued to increase despite the availability of effective anti-retroviral therapy (ART)...
- MECHANISMS OF ALLOGENEIC STEM CELL EDUCATION IN SCIDRebecca H Buckley; Fiscal Year: 2010..we plan to measure telomere length in the T cells of the various molecular types of transplants, 3) reducing the incidence of autoimmunity, and 4) contributing to their overall successful immune transplantation may be beneficial to ..
- EXPOSURE TO BLOOD AMONG NON-HOSPITAL HEALTH CARE WORKERSJack Leiss; Fiscal Year: 2002..Specific aims are to (i) estimate the incidence of blood exposure among non- hospital health care workers engaged in patient care, (ii) identify and quantity ..
- Nurses' Health Study: Short Sleep Duration and Risk of HypertensionJAMES GANGWISCH; Fiscal Year: 2009Short sleep duration has been shown to be associated with an increased risk for hypertension incidence, but previous prospective studies on this association did not examine the potential effect modifiers of menopausal status, hormone ..
- HAIR DYE USE AND RISK OF NONHODGKINS LYMPHOMATongzhang Zheng; Fiscal Year: 2000In the U.S., during past decades, the incidence of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) has risen faster than that of all other cancer types except melanoma and lung cancer...
- Impact of Environmental Pollutants on Breast Cancer and*Julia Brody; Fiscal Year: 2005DESCRIPTION: Breast cancer incidence continues to rise in all age groups in the US, with an increase in age-adjusted incidence of more than 40% from the early 1970s to the late 1990s...