Summary: The storing of visual and usually sound signals on discs for later reproduction on a television screen or monitor.
- Zeedyk M, Wallace L. Tackling children's road safety through edutainment: an evaluation of effectiveness. Health Educ Res. 2003;18:493-505 pubmed..Crucially, however, parents strongly believed that it had. The discussion explores the implications of such a mismatch and highlights similarities with outcomes of other health education interventions. ..
- Streater A, Spector A, Aguirre E, Hoe J, Hoare Z, Woods R, et al. Maintenance Cognitive Stimulation Therapy (CST) in practice: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 2012;13:91 pubmed publisher..Clinical trial ISRCTN28793457. ..
- Lee J, Lee J, Lim H, Son J, Lee J, Kim D, et al. Cartoon distraction alleviates anxiety in children during induction of anesthesia. Anesth Analg. 2012;115:1168-73 pubmed publisher..Our study suggests that this intervention is an inexpensive, easy to administer, and comprehensive method for anxiety reduction in the pediatric surgical population. ..
- Lacarrubba F, Tedeschi A, Francesconi L, Micali G. Canal versus cysts of the penile median raphe: advancing diagnostic methods using videodermatoscopy. Pediatr Dermatol. 2010;27:667-9 pubmed..Videodermatoscopy is a noninvasive technique that may be helpful in the differentiation between cysts and canals of the median raphe of the penis, thus helping to establish the most appropriate therapeutic approach. ..
- Murakami T, Koyanagi I, Kaneko T, Iihoshi S, Houkin K. Intraoperative indocyanine green videoangiography for spinal vascular lesions: case report. Neurosurgery. 2011;68:241-5; discussion 245 pubmed publisher..Although intraoperative digital subtraction angiography is still needed in cases of complex spinal vascular lesions, ICG videoangiography will be an important diagnostic modality in the field of spinal vascular surgeries. ..
- Ferroli P, Acerbi F, Broggi M, Broggi G. Arteriovenous micromalformation of the trigeminal root: intraoperative diagnosis with indocyanine green videoangiography: case report. Neurosurgery. 2010;67:onsE309-10; discussion onsE310 pubmed publisher..An MRI protocol that is suitable to avoid this kind of intraoperative drawback should be defined and systematically used in the preoperative evaluation of all such surgical candidates. ..
- Andersen P, Jensen M, Lippert A, Østergaard D, Klausen T. Development of a formative assessment tool for measurement of performance in multi-professional resuscitation teams. Resuscitation. 2010;81:703-11 pubmed publisher..Good inter-rater reliability and concurrent validity of the checklist were demonstrated. Single items on the checklist need refinement to improve accuracy. ..
- Preuss G, Alicke M. Everybody loves me: self-evaluations and metaperceptions of dating popularity. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2009;35:937-50 pubmed publisher..Despite the presence of an external reality check, participants in all three studies evinced strong self-enhancement tendencies as measured in self-rankings and metaperception judgments that exceeded those provided by observers. ..
- Cundy P. Examining the orthopaedic examiners: reliability of the Part 2 Orthopaedic Clinical Fellowship Examination in Australia. ANZ J Surg. 2012;82:607-11 pubmed publisher..Candidates for the Fellowship Examination should be reassured that this study has shown that the examination process has inter-examiner reliability and consistency. ..
- Fernandez R, Griffiths R. Portable MP3 players: innovative devices for recording qualitative interviews. Nurse Res. 2007;15:7-15 pubmed..Ritin Fernandez and Rhonda Griffiths examine a technological resource that pervades modern social life and which can be used effectively for digitally recording interviews for qualitative research. ..
- Morgan M, Deber R, Llewellyn Thomas H, Gladstone P, Cusimano R, O Rourke K, et al. Randomized, controlled trial of an interactive videodisc decision aid for patients with ischemic heart disease. J Gen Intern Med. 2000;15:685-93 pubmed..The IHD SDP patients were more knowledgeable, underwent less revascularization (interventional therapies), and demonstrated increased patient decision-making autonomy without apparent impact on quality of life. ..
- Duncan J, Kline B, Glaiberman C. Analysis of simulated angiographic procedures. Part 2: extracting efficiency data from audio and video recordings. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2007;18:535-44 pubmed..The data indicate that analysis of simulated angiographic procedures will be a powerful method of assessing performance in interventional radiology. ..
- Noell J, Ary D, Duncan T. Development and evaluation of a sexual decision-making and social skills program: "the choice is yours--preventing HIV/STDs". Health Educ Behav. 1997;24:87-101 pubmed..e., avoiding sex). At 30-day follow-up, three of the four measures remained significant. ..
- Badano L, Dall Armellina E, Bordin P, Di Chiara A, Popiel M, Werren M, et al. Feasibility and clinical value of "intelligent" compression and digital storage of transthoracic echocardiograms in day-to-day practice. Ital Heart J. 2001;2:782-8 pubmed..In addition, digitally stored studies allow a significant improvement in the interobserver reproducibility of wall motion score assessment. ..
- Man A, Yap J, Kwan S, Suen K, Yip H, Chen P. The effect of intra-operative video on patient anxiety. Anaesthesia. 2003;58:64-8 pubmed..5 (70 to 60) mm]. Watching video intra-operatively reduces patient anxiety as measured by the STAI. ..
- Bozzato A, Bumm K, Zenk J, Iro H, Hornung J. [Digital photography and video archives in ENT]. HNO. 2006;54:323-5; quiz 336 pubmed..Here, we describe variable data sources and formats, centralisation techniques, networking options and discuss available digital documentation solutions. ..
- Christensen G. Continuing education: the good, the bad and the ugly. J Am Dent Assoc. 2004;135:921-4 pubmed..CE in dentistry can be enjoyable, will allow dentists to serve their patients at a higher level of competency and will keep practitioners mentally stimulated as they learn new concepts and techniques. ..
- Mackie H, Legg S, Beadle J. Development of activity monitoring for determining load carriage patterns in school students. Work. 2004;22:231-7 pubmed..These preliminary results suggest that activity monitoring may enable valid analysis of the temporal patterns of backpacking with little disruption to the user, although more work is required to verify this. ..
- Ohara S, Ikeda A, Kunieda T, Yazawa S, Taki J, Nagamine T, et al. Propagation of tonic posturing in supplementary motor area (SMA) seizures. Epilepsy Res. 2004;62:179-87 pubmed..The sequential propagation of tonic posturing may represent the somatotopic organization within the SMA proper. ..
- Powell Jackson R, Glasier A, Cameron S. Benefits of using a digital video disk for providing information about abortion to women requesting termination of pregnancy. Contraception. 2010;81:537-41 pubmed publisher..1%, n=6). The DVD provided high-quality information for women requesting abortion and resulted in staff having more time to discuss patient concerns and contraception. ..
- Mall A, Mehl A, Kiko S, Kleindienst N, Salize H, Hermann C, et al. Evaluation of a DVD-based self-help program in highly socially anxious individuals--pilot study. Behav Ther. 2011;42:439-48 pubmed publisher..24 to 0.65 in favor of the active intervention. The newly developed DVD-based self-help program seems to be a promising intervention for highly socially anxious individuals as it reduces social anxiety symptoms. ..
- Torrano S, Veiga V, Goldmeier S, Azzolin K. Explanatory digital video disc with patients undergoing diagnostic cardiac catheterization. Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. 2011;19:888-93 pubmed..6 ± 17.1) compared to the CG (31.6 ± 18.8), P=.000. The results demonstrated the efficacy of the presentation of a guidance video for patients undergoing a hemodynamic procedure. ..
- Veroff D, Sullivan L, Shoptaw E, Venator B, Ochoa Arvelo T, Baxter J, et al. Improving self-care for heart failure for seniors: the impact of video and written education and decision aids. Popul Health Manag. 2012;15:37-45 pubmed publisher..Broad application of inexpensive behavior change interventions, such as a DVD/booklet program, should help to facilitate important, routine self-care behaviors for individuals with heart failure. ..
- Carpenter D. Cartoon therapy. Not-so-loony tunes. Hosp Health Netw. 2003;77:24, 26 pubmed
- Finlay B. The Kingdom Protista: The Dazzling World of Living Cells By Jeremy Pickett-Heaps and Julianne Pickett-Heaps (firstname.lastname@example.org). Protist. 2006;157:259-60 pubmed
- Zimmerman F, Christakis D, Meltzoff A. Associations between media viewing and language development in children under age 2 years. J Pediatr. 2007;151:364-8 pubmed..Further research is required to determine the reasons for an association between early viewing of baby DVDs/videos and poor language development. ..
- Steffenino G, Viada E, Marengo B, Canale R. Effectiveness of video-based patient information before percutaneous cardiac interventions. J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2007;8:348-53 pubmed
- Altenmüller D, Schulze Bonhage A. Differentiating between benign and less benign: epilepsy surgery in symptomatic frontal lobe epilepsy associated with benign focal epileptiform discharges of childhood. J Child Neurol. 2007;22:456-61 pubmed..In symptomatic frontal lobe epilepsy, epilepsy surgery may yield an excellent outcome despite the presence of concurrent benign focal epileptiform discharges of childhood. ..
- Lessick S. Tooling up to facilitate findability, virtual collaboration, and storytelling with data. J Med Libr Assoc. 2016;104:354-362 pubmed
- Robertson A, Stannard W, Passant C, O Callaghan C, Banerjee A. What effect does isoflurane have upon ciliary beat pattern: an in vivo study. Clin Otolaryngol Allied Sci. 2004;29:157-60 pubmed..We found that ciliary beat frequency decreased significantly (P < 0.01) after exposure to isoflurane (10.24 Hz compared to 9.20 Hz). However, isoflurane did not alter the ciliary beat pattern or the proportion of immotile cilia. ..
- Ma J, Yank V, Xiao L, Lavori P, Wilson S, Rosas L, et al. Translating the Diabetes Prevention Program lifestyle intervention for weight loss into primary care: a randomized trial. JAMA Intern Med. 2013;173:113-21 pubmed publisher..Proven effective in a primary care setting, the 2 DPP-based lifestyle interventions are readily scalable and exportable with potential for substantial clinical and public health impact. clinicaltrials.gov Identifier: NCT00842426. ..
- Uitdehaag M, van der Velden L, de Boer M, Spaander M, Steyerberg E, Kuipers E, et al. Recordings of consultations are beneficial in the transition from curative to palliative cancer care: a pilot-study in patients with oesophageal or head and neck cancer. Eur J Oncol Nurs. 2012;16:109-14 pubmed publisher..These findings require however verification in a study with a larger sample size. ..
- Winterheld H, Simpson J, Orina M. It's in the way that you use it: attachment and the dyadic nature of humor during conflict negotiation in romantic couples. Pers Soc Psychol Bull. 2013;39:496-508 pubmed publisher..Both highly anxious and avoidant individuals reacted unfavorably when they were the recipients of the humor styles they used most often. The implications of these results for our understanding of relationships and humor are discussed. ..
- Glasgow R, Edwards L, Whitesides H, Carroll N, Sanders T, McCray B. Reach and effectiveness of DVD and in-person diabetes self-management education. Chronic Illn. 2009;5:243-9 pubmed publisher..The DVD appears to have merit as an efficient and appealing alternative to brief classroom-based diabetes education, and the hybrid design is recommended to provide estimates of programme reach. ..
- Josse J, Cusimano M. The effect of a skiing/snowboarding safety video on the increase of safety knowledge in Canadian youths--a pilot study. Int J Circumpolar Health. 2006;65:385-8 pubmed
- McCartney P. Podcasting in nursing. MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs. 2006;31:270 pubmed
- Spinelli M, Sievert K. Latest technologic and surgical developments in using InterStim Therapy for sacral neuromodulation: impact on treatment success and safety. Eur Urol. 2008;54:1287-96 pubmed publisher..However, this must be further addressed in clinical studies. SNM with InterStim Therapy using the tined lead offers an efficient treatment modality for patients in whom conservative treatment has failed. ..
- Campos J, Hallam E, Ueda K. Training in placement of the left-sided double-lumen tube among non-thoracic anaesthesiologists: intubation model simulator versus computer-based digital video disc, a randomised controlled trial. Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2011;28:169-74 pubmed publisher..Both groups performed better than individuals in our prior study. Therefore, these methods should be considered when training anaesthesiologists to successfully place DLTs. ..
- Chao T, Wendel G, McIntire D, Corton M. Effectiveness of an instructional DVD on third- and fourth-degree laceration repair for obstetrics and gynecology postgraduate trainees. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2010;109:16-9 pubmed publisher..005) and repair methods (P=0.042) subscales. An educational video is an effective tool for improving understanding of third- and fourth-degree lacerations for physicians-in-training. ..
- Holmes M, Tucker D, Quiring J, Hakimian S, Miller J, Ojemann J. Comparing noninvasive dense array and intracranial electroencephalography for localization of seizures. Neurosurgery. 2010;66:354-62 pubmed publisher..Dense array electroencephalography has the potential to assist in the noninvasive localization of epileptic seizures and to guide the placement of invasive electrodes for localizing seizure onset. ..
- Woodson G, Hochstetler H, Murry T. Botulinum toxin therapy for abductor spasmodic dysphonia. J Voice. 2006;20:137-43 pubmed..Asymmetric botulinum toxin injection into PCA muscles can suppress abductor spasm in patients with ABSD, but breathiness may persist, because of inadequate glottal closure. ..
- Abid B, Hentati N, Chevallier J, Ghorbel A, Delmas V, Douard R. Traditional versus three-dimensional teaching of peritoneal embryogenesis: a comparative prospective study. Surg Radiol Anat. 2010;32:647-52 pubmed publisher..Medium-term and long-term studies are needed to demonstrate that this benefit has a long-lasting impact. ..
- Khalil H, Quinn L, van Deursen R, Martin R, Rosser A, Busse M. Adherence to use of a home-based exercise DVD in people with Huntington disease: participants' perspectives. Phys Ther. 2012;92:69-82 pubmed publisher..The DVD was perceived to be suitable and supportive. The DVD could be appropriate for use in supporting people with HD to engage in exercise at home, either outside of therapy sessions or upon completion of a therapy program. ..
- Goodrich S, Pempek T, Calvert S. Formal production features of infant and toddler DVDs. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2009;163:1151-6 pubmed publisher..Most programs directed at infants and toddlers rely on perceptually salient features like rapid pacing and camera cuts, which may elicit attention and interest but are most likely very difficult for a young audience to understand. ..
- Hill A, McPhail S, Hoffmann T, Hill K, Oliver D, Beer C, et al. A randomized trial comparing digital video disc with written delivery of falls prevention education for older patients in hospital. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009;57:1458-63 pubmed publisher..001). Delivery of falls prevention education on a DVD compared to a written workbook is more likely to achieve important changes in parameters likely to affect successful uptake of falls prevention messages in the hospital setting. ..
- Kuo L, Su F, Chiu H, Yu C. Feasibility of using a video-based motion analysis system for measuring thumb kinematics. J Biomech. 2002;35:1499-506 pubmed..The differences between the two methods were also within clinically allowable range of +/-5 degrees. It is concluded that the application of the video-based motion analysis system with surface markers to thumb kinematics is warranted. ..
- DiGioia A, Greenhouse P, Digioia C. Digital video recording in the inpatient setting: a tool for improving care experiences and efficiency while decreasing waste and cost. Qual Manag Health Care. 2012;21:269-77 pubmed..The use of digital video recording eliminated the impracticality of real-time observation in the inpatient setting and should be considered as a tool for helping to achieve necessary transformation in care delivery. ..
- Kelly C, Hogle N, Landman J, Fowler D. High definition in minimally invasive surgery: a review of methods for recording, editing, and distributing video. Surg Innov. 2008;15:188-93 pubmed publisher..This article discusses the essential technical concepts of high-definition video, reviews the different kinds of equipment and methods most often used for recording, and describes several options for video distribution. ..
- Priest A. Learning through laughter. Nurs BC. 2007;39:8-11 pubmed
- DeLoache J, Chiong C, Sherman K, Islam N, Vanderborght M, Troseth G, et al. Do babies learn from baby media?. Psychol Sci. 2010;21:1570-4 pubmed publisher..We conclude that infants learn relatively little from infant media and that their parents sometimes overestimate what they do learn. ..
- Lockwood M, Saunders M, Lee C, Becker Y, Josephson M, Chon W. Kidney transplant and the digital divide: is information and communication technology a barrier or a bridge to transplant for African Americans?. Prog Transplant. 2013;23:302-9 pubmed publisher..Reaching out to the African American community may best be accomplished by using cell phone/text messaging as opposed to Internet-based platforms. ..
- Houston T, Allison J, Sussman M, Horn W, Holt C, Trobaugh J, et al. Culturally appropriate storytelling to improve blood pressure: a randomized trial. Ann Intern Med. 2011;154:77-84 pubmed publisher..Finding Answers: Disparities Research for Change, a national program of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. ..