Summary: Text editing and storage functions using computer software.
- Cook C, Burgess Limerick R, Papalia S. The effect of upper extremity support on upper extremity posture and muscle activity during keyboard use. Appl Ergon. 2004;35:285-92 pubmed..007). These findings indicate that typing with upper extremity support in conjunction with a wrist rest may be preferable to the "floating" posture implicit in current guidelines...
- Calvert T, Wilke L, Ryman R, Fox I. Applications of computers to dance. IEEE Comput Graph Appl. 2005;25:6-12 pubmed
- Ferguson J. The Palmer notation system and its use with personal computer applications. Br Dent J. 2005;198:551-3 pubmed..Some technical solutions to the problems encountered in everyday Windows-based programs are outlined, with suggestions as to possible future applications. ..
- Hughes L, Babski Reeves K, Smith Jackson T. Effects of psychosocial and individual factors on physiological risk factors for upper extremity musculoskeletal disorders while typing. Ergonomics. 2007;50:261-74 pubmed..Mental workload and time pressure mediated physical risk factors during typing to increase WMSD risk for the distal upper extremity. ..
- Straker L, Maslen B, Burgess Limerick R, Pollock C. Children have less variable postures and muscle activities when using new electronic information technology compared with old paper-based information technology. J Electromyogr Kinesiol. 2009;19:e132-43 pubmed publisher..Children should therefore be encouraged to ensure task variety when using new IT to offset the greater posture and muscle activity monotony. ..
- Rakotomamonjy A, Guigue V. BCI competition III: dataset II- ensemble of SVMs for BCI P300 speller. IEEE Trans Biomed Eng. 2008;55:1147-54 pubmed publisher..Performances of our algorithm have been evaluated on dataset II of the BCI Competition III and has yielded the best performance of the competition. ..
- Mitchard H, Winkles J. Experimental comparisons of data entry by automated speech recognition, keyboard, and mouse. Hum Factors. 2002;44:198-209 pubmed..An extrapolation to latency-free ASR suggests that even as hardware and software become faster, human factors will dominate and the results would shift only slightly in favor of ASR. ..
- Amrhein P, McDaniel M, Waddill P. Revisiting the picture-superiority effect in symbolic comparisons: do pictures provide privileged access?. J Exp Psychol Learn Mem Cogn. 2002;28:843-57 pubmed..Our findings argue against dual-coding and some common-code accounts of conceptual attribute processing, urging reexamination of the assumption that pictures confer privileged access to long-term knowledge. ..
- Muller P, Barella L, Miserez A. RepGene: a spreadsheet template for the management of reporter gene assays. Biotechniques. 2001;30:1294-8 pubmed..The objectives of this spreadsheet template are the design of the transfection protocol, the coordination of the administration of test compounds, and the graphical presentation and statistical analysis of the results. ..
- Kryger A, Lassen C, Andersen J. The role of physical examinations in studies of musculoskeletal disorders of the elbow. Occup Environ Med. 2007;64:776-81 pubmed
- Szeto G, Straker L, O Sullivan P. A comparison of symptomatic and asymptomatic office workers performing monotonous keyboard work--1: neck and shoulder muscle recruitment patterns. Man Ther. 2005;10:270-80 pubmed..These findings indicate that altered muscle recruitment patterns observed in the symptomatic subjects preceded the onset of task discomfort, and this finding may have important implications for the etiology of WRNULD...
- Elder B, Koehn M. Assessment tool for nursing student computer competencies. Nurs Educ Perspect. 2009;30:148-52 pubmed..The results suggest that students rate themselves higher on their skills than their actual performance of computer skills. Implications for educators are presented, and the value of using a computer-graded assessment is discussed. ..
- ..This article describes Web-based collaboration tools and techniques to increase their effectiveness. ..
- Giersiepen K, Spallek M. Carpal tunnel syndrome as an occupational disease. Dtsch Arztebl Int. 2011;108:238-42 pubmed publisher..In Germany, a physician who diagnoses carpal tunnel syndrome in an employee with a relevant, damaging occupational exposure is required to report the case to the German Social Accident Insurance. ..
- David G, Gregory S. Mini-micro-mainframe computer marriage: combining technologies in a radiology results reporting system. J Digit Imaging. 1989;2:27-30 pubmed..It also enhances reports by merging patient demographics and registration information. Using existing communications facilities to the hospital mainframe system, reports are provided throughout the institution. ..
- Adatia F, Bedard P. "Palm reading": 2. Handheld software for physicians. CMAJ. 2003;168:727-34 pubmed
- Adkins M, Webb W. Should you outsource your transcription?. MGMA Connex. 2003;3:17-9 pubmed
- Evans D, Diggle T, Kurniawan S, Blenkhorn P. An investigation into formatting and layout errors produced by blind word-processor users and an evaluation of prototype error prevention and correction techniques. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2003;11:257-68 pubmed..The paper concludes that document formatting and layout is a problem for blind authors and that tools should be able to assist. ..
- Handley More D. Use of word processors to support written communication: an annotated bibliography. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr. 2001;21:5-17 pubmed..This annotated bibliography summarizes a variety of articles that describe the use of word processing technology with school-aged children...
- Galdino G, Gotway M. The digital curriculum vitae. J Am Coll Radiol. 2005;2:183-8 pubmed..Adobe Portable Document Format) and presentations (in Microsoft PowerPoint format) accompanying printed CVs, word processing documents with hyperlinks to articles and presentations either locally (on CD-ROMs or DVD-ROMs) or remotely (..
- Weir C, Hurdle J, Felgar M, Hoffman J, Roth B, Nebeker J. Direct text entry in electronic progress notes. An evaluation of input errors. Methods Inf Med. 2003;42:61-7 pubmed
- Hill A. My favourite software: using templates in Word. J Public Health Med. 2002;24:347 pubmed
- Chan S, Ohlmann J, Dunbar S, Dunbar C, Ryan S, Savory P. Operations research methods applied to workflow in a medical records department. Health Care Manag Sci. 2002;5:191-9 pubmed..The findings provided insight into the workflow, staffing and performance of the department. ..
- Streeter J, Lu M, Rybicki F. Informatics in radiology: RadiologyWiki.org: the free radiology resource that anyone can edit. Radiographics. 2007;27:1193-200 pubmed..Nevertheless, it is hoped that RadiologyWiki will develop into a free, simple, and rapid collaborative authorship tool for communication and education in radiology. ..
- Guyon I, Dror G, Lemaire V, Silver D, Taylor G, Aha D. Analysis of the IJCNN 2011 UTL challenge. Neural Netw. 2012;32:174-8 pubmed publisher..The analysis indicates that learned data representations yield significantly better results than those obtained with original data or data preprocessed with standard normalizations and functional transforms. ..
- Snyder K, Ashitaka Y, Shimada H, Ulrich J, Logan G. What skilled typists don't know about the QWERTY keyboard. Atten Percept Psychophys. 2014;76:162-71 pubmed publisher..We found no difference in explicit knowledge of the two keyboards, suggesting that typists know little about key locations on the keyboard, whether they are exposed to the keyboard for 2 h or 12 years. ..
- Obermaier B, Müller G, Pfurtscheller G. "Virtual keyboard" controlled by spontaneous EEG activity. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2003;11:422-6 pubmed..We report on three able-bodied subjects, operating the VK. The ability in the use of the VK varies between 0.85 and 0.5 letters/min in error-free writing. ..
- McSwain R. What does your transcription format cost? Weighing the costs and benefits of different transcription formats. J AHIMA. 2004;75:40-3 pubmed
- Jung J, Kim S, Cho H, Nam K. Structural and functional correlates for language efficiency in auditory word processing. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0184232 pubmed publisherThis study aims to provide convergent understanding of the neural basis of auditory word processing efficiency using a multimodal imaging...
- Izura C, Playfoot D. A normative study of acronyms and acronym naming. Behav Res Methods. 2012;44:862-89 pubmed publisherAcronyms are an idiosyncratic part of our everyday vocabulary. Research in word processing has used acronyms as a tool to answer fundamental questions such as the nature of the word superiority effect (WSE) or which is the best way to ..
- Wolach A, McHale M. A word processor optimized for preparing journal articles and student papers. Behav Res Methods Instrum Comput. 2001;33:540-3 pubmed..The "APA Form" submenu of the "Help" menu provides detailed information about how the word processor is optimized for preparing articles and papers. ..
- Strassman B, O Dell K. Using open captions to revise writing in digital stories composed by d/Deaf and hard of hearing students. Am Ann Deaf. 2012;157:340-57 pubmed..However, the findings do suggest that the images acted as procedural facilitators, triggering recall of vocabulary and details. ..
- Sachs N, Ruiz Torres R, Perreault E, Miller L. Brain-state classification and a dual-state decoder dramatically improve the control of cursor movement through a brain-machine interface. J Neural Eng. 2016;13:016009 pubmed publisher..Further gains can undoubtedly be realized by optimizing the performance of the individual movement and posture decoders. ..
- Griffiths Jones S. RALEE--RNA ALignment editor in Emacs. Bioinformatics. 2005;21:257-9 pubmed..The ELISP source code for RALEE is freely available from http://www.sanger.ac.uk/Users/sgj/ralee/ along with documentation and examples. firstname.lastname@example.org ..
- Castillo M. Digital forensics and the American Journal of Neuroradiology. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2008;29:211-2 pubmed
- Zhai J, Barreto A. Stress detection in computer users based on digital signal processing of noninvasive physiological variables. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2006;1:1355-8 pubmed..It was also found that the pupil diameter was the most significant affective state indicator, compared to the other three physiological signals monitored. ..
- Kawado M, Hinotsu S, Matsuyama Y, Yamaguchi T, Hashimoto S, Ohashi Y. A comparison of error detection rates between the reading aloud method and the double data entry method. Control Clin Trials. 2003;24:560-9 pubmed..8 hours for the DDE method and 57.9 hours for the RA method. These results suggest that in detecting errors of single data entry, the RA method is inferior to the DDE method, while its time cost is lower. ..
- Yang C, Jin L, Chuang L. Fuzzy support vector machines for adaptive Morse code recognition. Med Eng Phys. 2006;28:925-31 pubmed..Statistical analyses demonstrated that the proposed method elicited a higher recognition rate than other algorithms in the literature. ..
- Mork P, Westgaard R. Back posture and low back muscle activity in female computer workers: a field study. Clin Biomech (Bristol, Avon). 2009;24:169-75 pubmed publisher..Sustained stretch of passive lumbar structures in combination with essentially silent muscles may exacerbate low back pain in sedentary workers. ..
- Trost E, Hackl H, Maurer M, Trajanoski Z. Java editor for biological pathways. Bioinformatics. 2003;19:786-7 pubmed..It is easy to use and system independent. The result of the editing process is a PNG (portable network graphics) file for the images and XML (extended markup language) file for the appropriate links. ..
- Ahi S, Kambara H, Koike Y. A dictionary-driven P300 speller with a modified interface. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2011;19:6-14 pubmed publisher..The same subjects spelled the same 15 words using the modified interface as well, and the mean information transfer rate at two trials reached 55.32 bits/min. ..
- Yang P, Craig P, Goodsell D, Bourne P. BioEditor-simplifying macromolecular structure annotation. Bioinformatics. 2003;19:897-8 pubmed
- Slijper H, Richter J, Smeets J, Frens M. The effects of pause software on the temporal characteristics of computer use. Ergonomics. 2007;50:178-91 pubmed..Considering the disappointing results of studies investigating the effects of introducing (active) pauses during computer work, this study has cast doubt on the usefulness of introducing short duration pauses. ..
- Duthie E. Geriatrics. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2006;54:1628-9 pubmed
- Greiver M, Barnsley J, Aliarzadeh B, Krueger P, Moineddin R, Butt D, et al. Using a data entry clerk to improve data quality in primary care electronic medical records: a pilot study. Inform Prim Care. 2011;19:241-50 pubmed..Utilising a data manager for queries and a data clerk to re-enter data led to improvements in EMR data quality. Clinicians found this approach to be acceptable. ..
- Heurley L, Brouillet T, Chesnoy G, Brouillet D. Color perception involves color representations firstly at a semantic level and then at a lexical level. Cogn Process. 2013;14:19-29 pubmed publisher..In the discussion, we develop a new model of color perception assuming that color perception involves access to semantic representations and then access to lexical representations. ..
- Cardinal D, Hanson D, Wakeham J. Investigation of authorship in facilitated communication. Ment Retard. 1996;34:231-42 pubmed
- Yang C, Luo C, Yang C, Chuang L. Counter-propagation network with variable degree variable step size LMS for single switch typing recognition. Biomed Mater Eng. 2004;14:23-32 pubmed..Statistical analyses demonstrated that the proposed method elicited a better recognition rate in comparison to alternative methods in the literature. ..
- Lowes R. Overseas transcription: is it safe?. Med Econ. 2004;81:16-7 pubmed
- Green N. A Bayesian network coding scheme for annotating biomedical information presented to genetic counseling clients. J Biomed Inform. 2005;38:130-44 pubmed..In addition to giving examples of use of the coding scheme for analysis of discourse and linguistic features in this genre, we suggest other uses for it in analysis of layperson-oriented text and dialogue in medical communication. ..