user computer interface
Summary: The portion of an interactive computer program that issues messages to and receives commands from a user.
- Chen Y, Cunningham F, Rios D, McLaren W, Smith J, Pritchard B, et al. Ensembl variation resources. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:293 pubmed publisher..All Ensembl data is freely available at http://www.ensembl.org and from the public MySQL database server at ensembldb.ensembl.org. ..
- Zhang D, Maye A, Gao X, Hong B, Engel A, Gao S. An independent brain-computer interface using covert non-spatial visual selective attention. J Neural Eng. 2010;7:16010 pubmed publisher..The system renders SSVEP-based BCI paradigms possible for paralyzed patients with substantial head or ocular motor impairments by employing covert attention shifts instead of changing gaze direction. ..
- Martens S, Leiva J. A generative model approach for decoding in the visual event-related potential-based brain-computer interface speller. J Neural Eng. 2010;7:26003 pubmed publisher..We show that the proposed generative method needs less training data to reach a given letter prediction performance than the state of the art discriminative approaches. ..
- Csárdi G, Kutalik Z, Bergmann S. Modular analysis of gene expression data with R. Bioinformatics. 2010;26:1376-7 pubmed publisher..Potential users of these packages are all R and BioConductor users dealing with tabular (e.g. gene expression) data. http://www.unil.ch/cbg/ISA CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org ..
- de Vries S, van Dijk M, Bonvin A. The HADDOCK web server for data-driven biomolecular docking. Nat Protoc. 2010;5:883-97 pubmed publisher..The HADDOCK server has access to the resources of a dedicated cluster and of the e-NMR GRID infrastructure. Therefore, a typical docking run takes only a few minutes to prepare and a few hours to complete. ..
- Ferrer García M, Gutierrez Maldonado J. Effect of the mood produced by virtual reality exposure on body image disturbances. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;154:44-9 pubmed..The aim of this study was to examine whether the mood produced by virtual reality exposure had any influence on such disturbances. As expected, dysphoric mood increased body image disturbances in patients with eating disorders. ..
- Szucs A, Bujtár P, Sandor G, Barabás J. Finite element analysis of the human mandible to assess the effect of removing an impacted third molar. J Can Dent Assoc. 2010;76:a72 pubmed..The aim was to analyze the effects of removing various amounts of bone around an impacted mandibular third molar and to predict the possibility of iatrogenic fracture...
- Peute L, de Keizer N, Jaspers M. Cognitive evaluation of a physician data query tool for a national ICU registry: comparing two think aloud variants and their application in redesign. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;160:309-13 pubmed..However, in deciding which method to apply in a formative evaluation study, end users' cognitive workload of performing the system's tasks and the system characteristics need to be considered as well. ..
- Szilagyi L, Benyo Z. Development of a virtual reality guided diagnostic tool based on magnetic resonance imaging. Acta Physiol Hung. 2010;97:267-80 pubmed publisher..The implemented software system allows interactive navigation within the investigated volume, and provides several facilities to quantify important physical properties including distances, areas, and volumes. ..
- Phillips B, Shaw R, Sullivan D, Johnson C. Using virtual environments to enhance nursing distance education. Creat Nurs. 2010;16:132-5 pubmed..Virtual environments offer the option to create social and professional relationships that have been a missing component of distance learning. ..
- Sun C, Hwang T, Oh K, Yi G. DynaMod: dynamic functional modularity analysis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:W103-8 pubmed publisher..DynaMod also offers cross-comparison between different analysis outputs. DynaMod is freely accessible at http://piech.kaist.ac.kr/dynamod. ..
- Ahmad A, Adie S, Wang M, Boppart S. Sonification of optical coherence tomography data and images. Opt Express. 2010;18:9934-44 pubmed publisher..Results obtained from parameter-mapped sonification of human adipose and tumor tissues are presented, indicating that audio feedback of OCT data may be useful for the interpretation of OCT images. ..
- Teramoto K, Kuwata S, Kushniruk A, Borycki E, Nomura M, Kondoh H. Evaluation of response time delay of a pen-tablet system in thin-client computing environments: implications for usability. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;156:47-56 pubmed..This study would provide useful indicators for evaluating the usability of PTS in incorporating it into the EPR system with TCC environments. ..
- Olden M, Cukor J, Rizzo A, Rothbaum B, Difede J. House calls revisited: leveraging technology to overcome obstacles to veteran psychiatric care and improve treatment outcomes. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2010;1208:133-41 pubmed publisher..The use of these innovative and creative vehicles offers a significant and as yet unfulfilled promise to expand delivery of high-quality psychological therapies, regardless of clinician and patient location. ..
- van der Ham I, van Zandvoort M, Meilinger T, Bosch S, Kant N, Postma A. Spatial and temporal aspects of navigation in two neurological patients. Neuroreport. 2010;21:685-9 pubmed publisher..J. was impaired in scene recognition and route continuation, which are spatial in nature. These findings offer important insights in the functional and neural architecture of navigation. ..
- Rose A, Goede A, Hildebrand P. MPlot--a server to analyze and visualize tertiary structure contacts and geometrical features of helical membrane proteins. Nucleic Acids Res. 2010;38:W602-8 pubmed publisher..URL: http://proteinformatics.charite.de/mplot/. ..
- Bahramisharif A, van Gerven M, Heskes T, Jensen O. Covert attention allows for continuous control of brain-computer interfaces. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;31:1501-8 pubmed publisher..Our approach will have several applications, including a brain-controlled computer mouse and improved methods for neuro-feedback that allow direct training of subjects' ability to modulate posterior alpha activity. ..
- Suma E, Finkelstein S, Reid M, V Babu S, Ulinski A, Hodges L. Evaluation of the cognitive effects of travel technique in complex real and virtual environments. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph. 2010;16:690-702 pubmed publisher..However, for applications that require fast, efficient navigation or travel that closely resembles real-world behavior, real walking has advantages over common joystick-based virtual travel techniques. ..
- Robillard G, Bouchard S, Dumoulin S, Guitard T, Klinger E. Using virtual humans to alleviate social anxiety: preliminary report from a comparative outcome study. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;154:57-60 pubmed..Results show significant reduction of anxiety on all questionnaires as well as statistically significant interactions between both treatment groups and the waiting list. ..
- Latendresse M, Karp P. An advanced web query interface for biological databases. Database (Oxford). 2010;2010:baq006 pubmed publisher..The SAQP is part of the Pathway Tools software and is available as part of several bioinformatics web sites powered by Pathway Tools, including the BioCyc.org site that contains more than 500 Pathway/Genome DBs. ..
- Lamy J, Duclos C, Hamek S, Beuscart Zephir M, Kerdelhué G, Darmoni S, et al. Towards iconic language for patient records, drug monographs, guidelines and medical search engines. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;160:156-60 pubmed..These new applications could use the same iconic language that was designed for drug knowledge, with a few additional items that respect the logic of the language. ..
- Demetriades A, Demetriades C, Watts C, Ashkan K. Brain-machine interface: the challenge of neuroethics. Surgeon. 2010;8:267-9 pubmed publisher..The argument put forward supports the use of BMIs solely for purposes of medical treatment, and invites the legal framing of this. ..
- Radlanski R, Renz H. An atlas of prenatal development of the human orofacial region. Eur J Oral Sci. 2010;118:321-4 pubmed publisher..In this Focus article, we present our atlas on prenatal human orofacial development, which is accessible online at the Journal's website. ..
- Satagopam V, Theodoropoulou M, Stampolakis C, Pavlopoulos G, Papandreou N, Bagos P, et al. GPCRs, G-proteins, effectors and their interactions: human-gpDB, a database employing visualization tools and data integration techniques. Database (Oxford). 2010;2010:baq019 pubmed publisher..Database URLs: http://schneider.embl.de/human_gpdb; http://bioinformatics.biol.uoa.gr/human_gpdb/ ..
- Sutcliffe A, Thew S, De Bruijn O, Buchan I, Jarvis P, McNaught J, et al. User engagement by user-centred design in e-Health. Philos Trans A Math Phys Eng Sci. 2010;368:4209-24 pubmed publisher..The results of the design exploration requirements analysis study are reported. The implications of scenario-based design exploration, participatory design and user engagement are discussed. ..
- Stoiber N, Breton G, Seguier R. Modeling short-term dynamics and variability for realistic interactive facial animation. IEEE Comput Graph Appl. 2010;30:51-61 pubmed publisher..This system can efficiently animate any synthetic face. The video illustrates interactive use of a system that generates facial-animation sequences. ..
- Strohalm M, Kavan D, Novak P, Volny M, Havlicek V. mMass 3: a cross-platform software environment for precise analysis of mass spectrometric data. Anal Chem. 2010;82:4648-51 pubmed publisher..This library can serve as a good starting point for other developers in their projects. Binary distributions of mMass, its source code, a detailed user's guide, and video tutorials are freely available from www.mmass.org . ..
- Chen J. UAV-guided navigation for ground robot tele-operation in a military reconnaissance environment. Ergonomics. 2010;53:940-50 pubmed publisher..The results will also facilitate the implementation of ground/air robots in military environments and will be useful to the future military system design and training community. ..
- Grychtol B, Lakany H, Valsan G, Conway B. Human behavior integration improves classification rates in real-time BCI. IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng. 2010;18:362-8 pubmed publisher..The paper discusses how the performance of the system can be improved by behavior integration and human-in-the-loop design. ..
- Clark R, Kraemer T. Clinical use of Nintendo Wii bowling simulation to decrease fall risk in an elderly resident of a nursing home: a case report. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2009;32:174-80 pubmed..9 to 10.5 seconds, all suggesting a reduced risk of falling. The patient's ABC Score improved from 88 to 90%. Physical therapy intervention, using the Nintendo Wii bowling simulation, may have decreased fall risk for this individual. ..
- Nielsen P, Lindebjerg J, Rasmussen J, Starklint H, Waldstrøm M, Nielsen B. Virtual microscopy: an evaluation of its validity and diagnostic performance in routine histologic diagnosis of skin tumors. Hum Pathol. 2010;41:1770-6 pubmed publisher..Larger studies should be conducted to verify whether virtual microscopy can replace conventional microscopy in routine practice. ..
- Turner B, Razick S, Turinsky A, Vlasblom J, Crowdy E, Cho E, et al. iRefWeb: interactive analysis of consolidated protein interaction data and their supporting evidence. Database (Oxford). 2010;2010:baq023 pubmed publisher..iRefWeb can be accessed at: http://wodaklab.org/iRefWeb. Database URL: http://wodaklab.org/iRefWeb/ ..
- Jossinet F, Ludwig T, Westhof E. Assemble: an interactive graphical tool to analyze and build RNA architectures at the 2D and 3D levels. Bioinformatics. 2010;26:2057-9 pubmed publisher..Assemble is released under an open-source license (MIT license) and is freely available at http://bioinformatics.org/assemble. It is implemented in the Java language and runs on MacOSX, Linux and Windows operating systems. ..
- Slaj M, Spalj S, Pavlin D, Illes D, Slaj M. Dental archforms in dentoalveolar Class I, II and III. Angle Orthod. 2010;80:919-24 pubmed publisher..In Class III subjects, the maxillary dental arch is insufficient in transverse and sagittal dimensions, and the mandibular arch dominates in the transverse but not in the sagittal dimension. ..
- Zouberakis M, Chandras C, Swertz M, Smedley D, Gruenberger M, Bard J, et al. Mouse Resource Browser--a database of mouse databases. Database (Oxford). 2010;2010:baq010 pubmed publisher..Database URL: http://bioit.fleming.gr/mrb. ..
- Peshek S, Cubera K, Gleespen L. The use of interactive computerized order sets to improve outcomes. Qual Manag Health Care. 2010;19:239-47 pubmed publisher..The support of the vice president of Medical Affairs and the physician chief information officer has paved the way for physician acceptance of the orders. ..
- Andrews S, Hamarneh G, Saad A. Fast random walker with priors using precomputation for interactive medical image segmentation. Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv. 2010;13:9-16 pubmed..For example, the segmentations found by the original random walker and by our new precomputation method for a given 3D image have a Dice's similarity coefficient of 0.975, yet our method runs in 1/25th of the time. ..
- Zeng Treitler Q, Kim H, Rosemblat G, Keselman A. Can multilingual machine translation help make medical record content more comprehensible to patients?. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;160:73-7 pubmed
- Li Y, Shen J, Sun X, Li W, Liu G, Tang Y. Accuracy assessment of protein-based docking programs against RNA targets. J Chem Inf Model. 2010;50:1134-46 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrated that current protein-based docking programs can fulfill general docking tasks against RNA, and these programs are very helpful in RNA-based drug discovery and design. ..
- Rottmann J, Aristophanous M, Chen A, Court L, Berbeco R. A multi-region algorithm for markerless beam's-eye view lung tumor tracking. Phys Med Biol. 2010;55:5585-98 pubmed publisher..For the phantom data the tracking error was found to be smaller than 1 mm and for the patient data smaller than 2 mm, which was in the same range as the uncertainty of the gold standard. ..
- Patton E, Gray W. SANLab-CM: a tool for incorporating stochastic operations into activity network modeling. Behav Res Methods. 2010;42:877-83 pubmed publisher..With SANLab-CM, these critical paths can be shown to be simple emergent properties of variability in elementary cognitive, perceptual, and motor processes. ..
- Fallon M, Wilbur D, Prasad M. Ovarian frozen section diagnosis: use of whole-slide imaging shows excellent correlation between virtual slide and original interpretations in a large series of cases. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2010;134:1020-3 pubmed publisher..Ovarian FS diagnosis by WSI is accurate and reproducible, and thus, remote interpretation, teaching, and digital archiving of ovarian FS specimens by this method can be reliable. ..
- Wallace S, Parsons S, Westbury A, White K, White K, Bailey A. Sense of presence and atypical social judgments in immersive virtual environments. Responses of adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Autism. 2010;14:199-213 pubmed publisher..This study paints a very encouraging picture for the potential uses of IVEs in assessing and educating individuals with ASD. ..
- Thielsch M, Hirschfeld G. High and low spatial frequencies in website evaluations. Ergonomics. 2010;53:972-8 pubmed publisher..This is very relevant for theories of website perceptions and for practitioners of web design. ..
- Freeman T, Raza S, Theocharidis A, Ghazal P. The mEPN scheme: an intuitive and flexible graphical system for rendering biological pathways. BMC Syst Biol. 2010;4:65 pubmed publisher..We hope this work will contribute to the on-going community effort to develop a standard for depicting pathways and will provide a coherent guide to those planning to construct pathway diagrams of their biological systems of interest. ..
- Bonfield J, Whitwham A. Gap5--editing the billion fragment sequence assembly. Bioinformatics. 2010;26:1699-703 pubmed publisher..Gap5 is part of the Staden Package and is available under an Open Source licence from http://staden.sourceforge.net. It is implemented in C and Tcl/Tk. Currently it works on Unix systems only. ..
- Xia J, Wishart D. MetPA: a web-based metabolomics tool for pathway analysis and visualization. Bioinformatics. 2010;26:2342-4 pubmed publisher..MetPA currently enables analysis and visualization of 874 metabolic pathways, covering 11 common model organisms. Freely available at http://metpa.metabolomics.ca. ..
- Riva G, Raspelli S, Algeri D, Pallavicini F, Gorini A, Wiederhold B, et al. Interreality in practice: bridging virtual and real worlds in the treatment of posttraumatic stress disorders. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2010;13:55-65 pubmed..To illustrate the concept of Interreality in practice, a clinical scenario is also presented and discussed: Rosa, a 55-year-old nurse, involved in a major car accident. ..
- Bullens J, Iglói K, Berthoz A, Postma A, Rondi Reig L. Developmental time course of the acquisition of sequential egocentric and allocentric navigation strategies. J Exp Child Psychol. 2010;107:337-50 pubmed publisher..Altogether, our findings suggest that young children are able to employ an allocentric strategy but that the nature of this allocentric strategy changes progressively in a complex cognitive representation between 5 and 10 years of age. ..
- Magne P. Virtual prototyping of adhesively restored, endodontically treated molars. J Prosthet Dent. 2010;103:343-51 pubmed publisher..The decreased risk of fracture and more favorable stress distribution of adhesive composite resin onlays compared to porcelain onlays were confirmed. This method is efficient and may be used for other medical and dental applications. ..
- Trangenstein P, Weiner E, Gordon J, McNew R. An analysis of nursing education's immersion into Second Life, a multi-user virtual environment (MUVE). Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;160:644-7 pubmed
- Weiner E, McNew R, Trangenstein P, Gordon J. Using the virtual reality world of second life to teach nursing faculty simulation management. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;160:615-9 pubmed..The development of the SL environment for this educational study provides the setting in which to pilot test the provision of actual clinical care that does not require "hands-on" interventions. ..
- Cook D, Erwin P, Triola M. Computerized virtual patients in health professions education: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acad Med. 2010;85:1589-602 pubmed publisher..Effects in comparison with noncomputer instruction are on average small. Further research clarifying how to effectively implement virtual patients is needed. ..
- Hua L, Gong Y. Developing a user-centered voluntary medical incident reporting system. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;160:203-7 pubmed
- Slotta D, McFarland M, Markey S. MassSieve: panning MS/MS peptide data for proteins. Proteomics. 2010;10:3035-9 pubmed publisher..MassSieve supports reports from multiple search engines with differing search characteristics, which can increase peptide sequence coverage and/or identify conflicting or ambiguous spectral assignments. ..
- Paukkunen A, Kurttio A, Leminen M, Sepponen R. A compact electroencephalogram recording device with integrated audio stimulation system. Rev Sci Instrum. 2010;81:064301 pubmed publisher..The practical application of the device is demonstrated in mismatch negativity experiment with three test subjects. ..
- Sarker S, Maciocco M, Zaman A, Kumar I. Operative performance in laparoscopic cholecystectomy using the Procedural-Based Assessment tool. Am J Surg. 2010;200:334-40 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the PBA seems to be a reliable and valid assessment tool for generic technical skills in unsupervised simulated and live supervised laparoscopic cholecystectomies. ..