Genomes and Genes
decision support techniques
Summary: Mathematical or statistical procedures used as aids in making a decision. They are frequently used in medical decision-making.
Publications385 found, 100 shown here
- Developing a quality criteria framework for patient decision aids: online international Delphi consensus processGlyn Elwyn
Department of General Practice, Centre for Health Sciences Research, Cardiff University, Cardiff CF14 4YS
BMJ 333:417. 2006..To develop a set of quality criteria for patient decision support technologies (decision aids)...
- Decision curve analysis: a novel method for evaluating prediction modelsAndrew J Vickers
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, USA
Med Decis Making 26:565-74. 2006....
- What do we mean by validating a prognostic model?D G Altman
ICRF Medical Statistics Group, Centre for Statistics in Medicine, Institute of Health Sciences, Old Road, Headington, Oxford OX3 7LF, UK
Stat Med 19:453-73. 2000..We illustrate the issues using several case studies...
- The diabetes mellitus medication choice decision aid: a randomized trialRebecca J Mullan
Knowledge and Encounter Research Unit, Mayo Center for Translational Science Activities, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Arch Intern Med 169:1560-8. 2009..Patient involvement in the choice of antihyperglycemic agents could improve adherence and optimize glycemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus...
- Principles of good practice for decision analytic modeling in health-care evaluation: report of the ISPOR Task Force on Good Research Practices--Modeling StudiesMilton C Weinstein
Center for Risk Analysis, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Value Health 6:9-17. 2003..This report describes the consensus of a task force convened to provide modelers with guidelines for conducting and reporting modeling studies...
- Translating clinical research into clinical practice: impact of using prediction rules to make decisionsBrendan M Reilly
Cook County Stroger Hospital and Rush Medical College, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Ann Intern Med 144:201-9. 2006..These considerations should inform future development, evaluation, and use of all clinical prediction or decision rules...
- Assessing the quality of decision support technologies using the International Patient Decision Aid Standards instrument (IPDASi)Glyn Elwyn
Department of Primary Care and Public Health, School of Medicine and the School of Psychology, Cardiff University, Cardiff, United Kingdom
PLoS ONE 4:e4705. 2009..To describe the development, validation and inter-rater reliability of an instrument to measure the quality of patient decision support technologies (decision aids)...
- A decision aid to support informed choices about bowel cancer screening among adults with low education: randomised controlled trialSian K Smith
Screening and Test Evaluation Program, Centre for Medical Psychology and Evidence Based Decision Making, Sydney School of Public Health, University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
BMJ 341:c5370. 2010..To determine whether a decision aid designed for adults with low education and literacy can support informed choice and involvement in decisions about screening for bowel cancer...
- Users' guides to the medical literature: XXII: how to use articles about clinical decision rules. Evidence-Based Medicine Working GroupT G McGinn
Adult Primary Care, Mount Sinai Medical Center, One Gustave Levy Place, New York, NY 10029 6574, USA
JAMA 284:79-84. 2000..Level 1 CDRs have the potential to inform clinical judgment, to change clinical behavior, and to reduce unnecessary costs, while maintaining quality of care and patient satisfaction. JAMA. 2000;284:79-84..
- Economic implications of 21-gene breast cancer risk assay from the perspective of an Israeli-managed health-care organizationShmuel H Klang
Clalit Health Services, Tel Aviv, Israel
Value Health 13:381-7. 2010..This study determined "real-life" alteration in treatment decision and economic implications of Oncotype DX use in women with ER+ LN- ESBC...
- Use of a decision aid to improve treatment decisions in osteoporosis: the osteoporosis choice randomized trialVictor M Montori
Knowledge and Evaluation Research Unit, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA
Am J Med 124:549-56. 2011..Poor adherence to therapy, perhaps related to unaddressed patient preferences, limits the effectiveness of osteoporosis treatment in at-risk women. A parallel patient-level randomized trial in primary care practices was performed...
- Good practice guidelines for decision-analytic modelling in health technology assessment: a review and consolidation of quality assessmentZoe Philips
School of Economics, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
Pharmacoeconomics 24:355-71. 2006..However, given the speed with which decision-modelling methodology advances, there is a need for its continual update...
- Probabilistic sensitivity analysis for NICE technology assessment: not an optional extraKarl Claxton
Centre for Health Economics, Department of Economics and Related Studies, University of York, UK
Health Econ 14:339-47. 2005..Finally, some of the methodological challenges posed by the need fully to characterise decision uncertainty and to inform the research agenda will be identified and discussed...
- Effect of a decision aid on knowledge and treatment decision making for breast cancer surgery: a randomized trialTimothy Whelan
Department of Medicine, McMaster University, Hamilton Health Sciences, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
JAMA 292:435-41. 2004..Consequently, the choice of treatment should be based on a patient's preferences...
- A pilot study on the use of decision theory and value of information analysis as part of the NHS Health Technology Assessment programmeK Claxton
Department of Economics, University of York, UK
Health Technol Assess 8:1-103, iii. 2004..Also to establish the feasibility and implications of applying these methods to inform the prioritisation process of the NHS Health Technology Assessment (HTA) programme, and possibly extending their use therein...
- Ten commandments for effective clinical decision support: making the practice of evidence-based medicine a realityDavid W Bates
Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Boston, MA 02115, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 10:523-30. 2003..The goal of this report is to discuss these lessons learned in the interest of informing the efforts of others working to make the practice of evidence-based medicine a reality...
- Validation of a decision regret scaleJamie C Brehaut
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa Hospital, Civic Campus, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Med Decis Making 23:281-92. 2003..As patients become more involved in health care decisions, there may be greater opportunity for decision regret. The authors could not find a validated, reliable tool for measuring regret after health care decisions...
- Understanding surgery choices for breast cancer: how might the Theory of Planned Behaviour and the Common Sense Model contribute to decision support interventions?Stephanie Sivell
Department of Primary Care and Public Health, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, Wales, UK
Health Expect 14:6-19. 2011....
- Using value of information analysis to inform publicly funded research prioritiesLaura Ginnelly
Centre for Health Economics, University of York, York, UK
Appl Health Econ Health Policy 4:37-46. 2005..The case study presented considers whether long-term, low-dose antibacterial treatment of recurrent urinary tract infections (UTIs) in children is effective and cost effective compared with short-term antibacterial therapy...
- The Chest Pain Choice trial: a pilot randomized trial of a decision aid for patients with chest pain in the emergency departmentMeghan A Pierce
Knowledge and Encounter Research Unit, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Trials 11:57. 2010..The aims of this study are (1) to develop a decision aid (CHEST PAIN CHOICE) that communicates the short-term risk of ACS and (2) to evaluate the impact of the decision aid on patient participation in decision-making and resource use...
- The impact of a novel computer-based decision aid on shared decision making for colorectal cancer screening: a randomized trialPaul C Schroy
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA, USA
Med Decis Making 31:93-107. 2011..Our objective was to assess the effectiveness of a novel decision aid on SDM in the primary care setting...
- Exploiting missing clinical data in Bayesian network modeling for predicting medical problemsJau Huei Lin
Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Utah, 26 South 2000 East Room 5775 HSEB, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5750, USA
J Biomed Inform 41:1-14. 2008..The result suggests that information may exist in "missingness" itself. Thus, when designing a decision support system, we suggest one consider explicitly representing the presence/absence of data in the underlying logic...
- Clinical decision support and individualized prediction of survival in colon cancer: bayesian belief network modelAlexander Stojadinovic
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 20:161-74. 2013..Low- and high-risk cohorts were defined. The tenfold cross-validation assessed predictive utility of the machine-learned Bayesian belief network (ml-BBN) model for clinical decision support (CDS)...
- What is lacking in current decision aids on cancer screening?Masahito Jimbo
Department of Family Medicine, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 1213, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 63:193-214. 2013..In this review, the implications for future research, as well as what clinicians can do now to incorporate decision aids into their practice, are discussed...
- The impact of decision aids to enhance shared decision making for diabetes (the DAD study): protocol of a cluster randomized trialAnnie Leblanc
Department of Health Sciences Research, Division of Health Care Policy and Research, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 12:130. 2012..In addition, we propose to identify, describe, and explain factors that promote or inhibit the routine embedding of decision aids in practice...
- LERM (Logical Elements Rule Method): a method for assessing and formalizing clinical rules for decision supportStephanie Medlock
Department of Medical Informatics, Academic Medical Center, Meibergdreef 15, 1105 AZ Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Med Inform 80:286-95. 2011..The aim of this study was to create a step-by-step method for transforming clinical rules for use in decision support, and to validate this method for usability and reliability...
- Decision analysis to complete diagnostic research by closing the gap between test characteristics and cost-effectivenessJoanna D Schaafsma
Department of Neurology, University Medical Center Utrecht, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 62:1248-52. 2009..We discuss the methodology of diagnostic research and underscore the relevance of decision analysis in the process of evaluation of diagnostic tests...
- Smart self management: assistive technology to support people with chronic diseaseHuiru Zheng
Computer Science Research Institute, School of Computing and Mathematics, University of Ulster, Newtownabbey, UK
J Telemed Telecare 16:224-7. 2010..We have found that telecare and assistive technology is feasible to support self management for chronic conditions within the home and local community environments...
- Integrated electronic decision support increases cardiovascular disease risk assessment four fold in routine primary care practiceSue Wells
School of Population Health, University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 15:173-8. 2008..A web-based decision support system (PREDICT-CVD), integrated with primary care electronic medical record software was developed as one strategy to address this problem...
- Clinical prediction rules: what are they and what do they tell us?Paul Beattie
University of South Carolina, South Carolina, USA
Aust J Physiother 52:157-63. 2006..What is the potential role of clinical prediction rules in physiotherapy practice and what are the strategies by which clinicians can determine their appropriate use for a given clinical setting?..
- Decision-analytic modeling to evaluate benefits and harms of medical tests: uses and limitationsThomas A Trikalinos
Tufts Evidence Based Practice Center and Center for Clinical Evidence Synthesis, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Med Decis Making 29:E22-9. 2009....
- Pragmatic vs. explanatory: an adaptation of the PRECIS tool helps to judge the applicability of systematic reviews for daily practiceTjarco Koppenaal
Department of General Practice, Caphri, Maastricht University, P O Box 616, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
J Clin Epidemiol 64:1095-101. 2011..This should help policy makers, clinicians, researchers, and guideline developers to judge the applicability of individual trials and systematic reviews...
- Where is the theory? Evaluating the theoretical frameworks described in decision support technologiesMarie Anne Durand
Department of Primary Care and Public Health, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Cardiff, UK
Patient Educ Couns 71:125-35. 2008..To identify and describe the extent to which theory or theoretical frameworks informed the development and evaluation of decision support technologies (DSTs)...
- Computer-tailored health interventions delivered over the Web: review and analysis of key componentsMia Liza A Lustria
College of Information, Florida State University, 270 Louis Shores Building, Tallahassee, FL 32306 2100, United States
Patient Educ Couns 74:156-73. 2009..This systematic review explores how computer-tailored, behavioral interventions implemented and delivered via the Web have been operationalized in a variety of settings...
- Bayesian networks in biomedicine and health-carePeter J F Lucas
Artif Intell Med 30:201-14. 2004
- The Statin Choice decision aid in primary care: a randomized trialDevin M Mann
Division of General Internal Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Patient Educ Couns 80:138-40. 2010..To assess the impact of a decision aid on perceived risk of heart attacks and medication adherence among urban primary care patients with diabetes...
- Effectiveness of educational interventions in improving detection and management of dementia in primary care: cluster randomised controlled studyMurna Downs
Bradford Dementia Group, Division of Dementia Studies, School of Health Studies, University of Bradford, Bradford BD5 0BB
BMJ 332:692-6. 2006..To test the effectiveness of educational interventions in improving detection rates and management of dementia in primary care...
- Comparison of nomograms with other methods for predicting outcomes in prostate cancer: a critical analysis of the literatureShahrokh F Shariat
Department of Urology, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Centre, Dallas, Texas, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:4400-7. 2008..We describe the criteria based on which to judge predictive tools, describe the limitations of current predictive tools, and compare the different predictive methodologies that have been used in the prostate cancer literature...
- A regret theory approach to decision curve analysis: a novel method for eliciting decision makers' preferences and decision-makingAthanasios Tsalatsanis
Center for Evidence based medicine and Health Outcomes Research, University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 10:51. 2010..We use the cognitive emotion of regret to serve as a link between systems 1 and 2 and to reformulate DCA...
- Reporting format for economic evaluation. Part II: Focus on modelling studiesM J Nuijten
Lewin Group, Hoofddorp, The Netherlands
Pharmacoeconomics 14:259-68. 1998..This format does not deal with methodology and data management, but especially addresses validation and quality assurance, which may increase the transparency of the report...
- The validity of decision rules for selecting women with primary osteoporosis for bone mineral density testingSuzanne M Cadarette
Department of Health Policy, Management and Evaluation, University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada
Osteoporos Int 15:361-6. 2004..These data confirm the validity of the ORAI, the OST chart and the OST equation as screening tools for BMD testing. Further evidence is required to confirm the validity of the body weight criterion...
- Use of decision aids to support informed choices about screeningAlexandra Barratt
Screening and Test Evaluation Program, School of Public Health, University of Sydney, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
BMJ 329:507-10. 2004
- A Bayesian approach to stochastic cost-effectiveness analysisA H Briggs
Health Economics Research Centre, University of Oxford, Headington, UK
Health Econ 8:257-61. 1999..Although it is argued that their interpretation as the probability that an intervention is cost-effective given the data requires a Bayesian interpretation, this should generate no misgivings for the frequentist...
- Imaging of carotid arteries in symptomatic patients: cost-effectiveness of diagnostic strategiesErik Buskens
Julius Center for Health Sciences and Primary Care and Dept of Radiology, Univ Medical Center Utrecht, Heidelberglaan 100, Rm D01 335, 3584 CX Utrecht, The Netherlands
Radiology 233:101-12. 2004..To assess the cost-effectiveness of noninvasive imaging strategies in patients who have had a transient ischemic attack (TIA) or minor stroke and are suspected of having significant carotid artery stenosis...
- Toward a method of selecting among computational models of cognitionMark A Pitt
Department of Psychology, The Ohio State University, Columbus 43210 1222, USA
Psychol Rev 109:472-91. 2002..A central but elusive concept in model selection, complexity, can also be derived with the method. The adequacy of the method is demonstrated in 3 areas of cognitive modeling: psychophysics, information integration, and categorization...
- Searching for clinical prediction rules in MEDLINEB J Ingui
Health Sciences Library, Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, New York 13210, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 8:391-7. 2001..The objective of this study was to derive and validate an optimal search filter for retrieving clinical prediction rules, using the National Library of Medicine's MEDLINE database...
- Using geographic information systems and decision support systems for the prediction, prevention, and control of vector-borne diseasesLars Eisen
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Pathology, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado 80523, USA
Annu Rev Entomol 56:41-61. 2011..We see great potential for the use of new technologies and approaches to more effectively target limited surveillance, prevention, and control resources and to reduce vector-borne and other infectious diseases...
- Extensions to decision curve analysis, a novel method for evaluating diagnostic tests, prediction models and molecular markersAndrew J Vickers
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, 307 East 63rd Street, New York, NY 10065, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 8:53. 2008..Most critically, decision curve analysis can be applied directly to a data set, and does not require the sort of external data on costs, benefits and preferences typically required by traditional decision analytic techniques...
- Algorithms for rapid outbreak detection: a research synthesisDavid L Buckeridge
Palo Alto VA Health Care System, Palo Alto, CA, USA
J Biomed Inform 38:99-113. 2005..Future research must address challenges such as forecasting expected values in high-dimensional data and generating spatial and multivariate test data sets...
- Shared decision making for patients with type 2 diabetes: a randomized trial in primary careMegan E Branda
Knowledge and Evaluation Research Unit, Mayo Clinic, 200 1st Street Southwest, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
BMC Health Serv Res 13:301. 2013..Patient-centered diabetes care requires shared decision making (SDM). Decision aids promote SDM, but their efficacy in nonacademic and rural primary care clinics is unclear...
- The design of a decision aid about diabetes medications for use during the consultation with patients with type 2 diabetesMaggie Breslin
Department of Medicine, Knowledge and Encounter Research Unit and the SPARC Innovation Program, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester 55905, MN, USA
Patient Educ Couns 73:465-72. 2008..To describe the process used to develop a medication choice decision aid (DA) for patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Case finding for the management of osteoporosis with FRAX--assessment and intervention thresholds for the UKJ A Kanis
WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield Medical School, Beech Hill Road, Sheffield, S10 2RX, UK
Osteoporos Int 19:1395-408. 2008..Assessment and intervention thresholds are developed and proposed in men aged over 50 years and postmenopausal women for the UK based on fracture probability from the WHO fracture risk assessment tool (FRAX)...
- A factorial randomised controlled trial of decision analysis and an information video plus leaflet for newly diagnosed hypertensive patientsAlan A Montgomery
Division of Primary Health Care, University of Bristol, Cotham House, Cotham Hill, Bristol BS6 6JL
Br J Gen Pract 53:446-53. 2003..There is a lack of evidence regarding the value of tools designed to aid decision making in patients with newly diagnosed hypertension...
- Cost-effectiveness of on-site antenatal screening to prevent congenital syphilis in rural eastern Cape Province, Republic of South AfricaJohn M Blandford
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, Georgia 30333, USA
Sex Transm Dis 34:S61-6. 2007..On-site screening and same-day treatment of maternal syphilis in underresourced settings can avert greater numbers of congenital syphilis cases, but health outcomes and associated costs must be evaluated jointly...
- Toward interactive, Internet-based decision aid for vaccination decisions: better information alone is not enoughTerry Connolly
Eller College of Management, University of Arizona, AZ, USA
Vaccine 30:3813-8. 2012..We sketch one approach for accomplishing this by means of a hierarchy of interactive decision aids ranging from simple advice to full-scale decision analysis...
- The impact of explicit values clarification exercises in a patient decision aid emerges after the decision is actually made: evidence from a randomized controlled trialDeb Feldman-Stewart
Division of Cancer Care and Epidemiology, Cancer Research Institute, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Med Decis Making 32:616-26. 2012..To determine if particular values clarification exercises included in a patient decision aid had discernible impact on postdecisional regret in patients with early-stage prostate cancer...
- The Pragmatic-Explanatory Continuum Indicator Summary (PRECIS) instrument was useful for refining a randomized trial design: experiences from an investigative teamDaniel L Riddle
Departments of Physical Therapy and Orthopaedic Surgery, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 63:1271-5. 2010..explanatory trials. Our team used this instrument during an investigators' meeting to organize our discussion regarding the design of a planned trial and to determine the extent of consensus among the study investigators...
- Health decision aids to facilitate shared decision making in office practiceMichael J Barry
Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
Ann Intern Med 136:127-35. 2002....
- A structured approach to knowledge exchange: understanding the implementation of a cancer survivor programArminee Kazanjian
School of Population and Public Health, University of British Columbia, 2206 East Mall, Vancouver, BC, Canada V6T 1Z3
Eur J Oncol Nurs 16:399-405. 2012..The purpose of this research was to describe the application of a model of knowledge exchange, the Knowledge Exchange-Decision Support (KE-DS) Model, to the Canadian pilot of Cancer Transitions, a psychosocial program for cancer survivors...
- Framework for the impact analysis and implementation of Clinical Prediction Rules (CPRs)Emma Wallace
Department of General Practice, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Republic of Ireland
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 11:62. 2011..There is a need to shift emphasis from deriving new CPRs to validating and implementing existing CPRs. The proposed framework provides a structured approach to this topical and complex area of research...
- Theory-informed design of values clarification methods: a cognitive psychological perspective on patient health-related decision makingArwen H Pieterse
Department of Medical Decision Making, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Soc Sci Med 77:156-63. 2013..In conclusion, our theory-based design recommendations are explicit and transparent, providing an opportunity to test each in a systematic manner...
- Clinical prediction rules for children: a systematic reviewJonathon L Maguire
Department of Pediatrics, Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, St Michael s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pediatrics 128:e666-77. 2011..The degree to which clinical prediction rules (CPRs) for children meet published standards is unclear...
- Cost-effectiveness of psychotherapy for cluster C personality disorders: a decision-analytic model in the NetherlandsDjøra I Soeteman
Viersprong Institute for Studies on Personality Disorders VISPD, PO Box 7, 4660 AA Halsteren, The Netherlands
J Clin Psychiatry 72:51-9. 2011..To conduct a formal economic evaluation of various dosages of psychotherapy for patients with avoidant, dependent, and obsessive-compulsive (ie, cluster C) personality disorders (Structured Interview for DSM-IV Personality criteria)...
- Do icon arrays help reduce denominator neglect?Rocio Garcia-Retamero
Center for Adaptive Behavior and Cognition, Max Planck Institute for Human Development, Berlin, Germany
Med Decis Making 30:672-84. 2010..We also tested whether using icon arrays helps people take these different sample sizes into account. We especially focused on older adults, who are often more disadvantaged when making decisions about their health...
- Decision support systems for choosing a primary health care provider in SwedenAgneta Ranerup
Department of Applied IT, University of Gothenburg, Gothenburg, Sweden
Patient Educ Couns 86:342-7. 2012..To evaluate how patients are supported with information and other forms of Web-based decision support for making an informed choice of a primary health care provider...
- Cost-effectiveness of QuantiFERON-TB test vs. tuberculin skin test in the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infectionS Deuffic-Burban
Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U795, Faculte de Medecine, Lille, France
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 14:471-81. 2010....
- The chest pain choice decision aid: a randomized trialErik P Hess
Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Emergency Medicine Research, Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes 5:251-9. 2012..We judged it unlikely that patient preferences were driving the decision to obtain stress testing...
- Clinical prediction models for aneurysmal subarachnoid hemorrhage: a systematic reviewBlessing N R Jaja
St Michael s Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada
Neurocrit Care 18:143-53. 2013..We evaluated the methodological validity of SAH prediction models and the relevance of the main predictors to identify potentially reliable models and to guide future attempts at model development...
- The cost-effectiveness of expanding newborn screening for up to 21 inherited metabolic disorders using tandem mass spectrometry: results from a decision-analytic modelLauren E Cipriano
Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada
Value Health 10:83-97. 2007..We estimated the cost-effectiveness of using this technology to expand the Ontario newborn screening program to screen for each disease independently and for hypothetical bundles of up to 21 metabolic diseases...
- Multi-criteria decision analysis to prioritize health interventions: Capitalizing on first experiencesRob Baltussen
Department of Primary and Community Care, Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Center, 6500HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Health Policy 96:262-4. 2010..e. to indicate general perceptions on priorities without defining the allocation of resources in a precise fashion. This use of MCDA can have far-reaching and constructive influences on policy formulation...
- Incorporating equity-efficiency interactions in cost-effectiveness analysis-three approaches applied to breast cancer controlStefan A Baeten
Institutes of Health Policy and Management and of Medical Technology Assessment, Erasmus Medical Centre, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Value Health 13:573-9. 2010..Moreover, it demonstrates their impact on cost-effectiveness analyses in current breast cancer control options for women of different age groups...
- Cost-effectiveness of coronary computed tomography and cardiac stress imaging in the emergency department: a decision analytic model comparing diagnostic strategies for chest pain in patients at low risk of acute coronary syndromesVirginia L Priest
Centre for Applied Health Economics, School of Medicine, Griffith University, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 4:549-56. 2011..Large comparative, randomized, controlled trials of the different diagnostic strategies are needed to compare the long-term costs and consequences of each strategy in a population of defined low-risk patients in the emergency department...
- Appraisal of primary outcome measures used in trials of patient decision supportJennifer Kryworuchko
School of Nursing, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Canada
Patient Educ Couns 73:497-503. 2008..To appraise instruments used as primary outcome measures in trials measuring the effectiveness of patient decision support interventions...
- Validating and updating a prediction rule for serious bacterial infection in patients with fever without sourceS E Bleeker
Erasmus Medical Center Sophia, Department of Paediatrics, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Acta Paediatr 96:100-4. 2007..To externally validate and update a previously developed rule for predicting the presence of serious bacterial infections in children with fever without apparent source...
- Organizational contexts of primary care approaches for managing problem drinkingKathleen Schutte
Center for Health Care Evaluation, Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Affairs Palo Alto Health Care System, Menlo Park Division MPD 152 795, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
J Subst Abuse Treat 36:435-45. 2009..However, PC-based practices were found to take more responsibility for managing patients' chronic conditions and had more staff for decision support activities...
- Resistant pathogens in nonnosocomial pneumonia and respiratory failure: is it time to refine the definition of health-care-associated pneumonia?Matthew P Schreiber
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Washington Hospital Center, Washington, DC, USA
Chest 137:1283-8. 2010..The concept of health-care-associated pneumonia (HCAP) exists to identify patients infected with highly resistant pathogens. It is unclear how precise this concept is and how well it performs as a screening tool for resistance...
- Communicating side effect risks in a tamoxifen prophylaxis decision aid: the debiasing influence of pictographsBrian J Zikmund-Fisher
VA Health Services Research and Development Center of Excellence, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Patient Educ Couns 73:209-14. 2008....
- A demonstration of ''less can be more'' in risk graphicsBrian J Zikmund-Fisher
VA Health Services Research and Development Center for Clinical Management Research, VA Ann Arbor Healthcare System, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
Med Decis Making 30:661-71. 2010..The graphical format typically displays 4 outcomes simultaneously: survival, mortality due to cancer, other-cause mortality, and incremental survival due to adjuvant treatment...
- Nurses' perceptions of factors influencing patient decision support for place of care at the end of lifeMary Ann Murray
University of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 26:254-63. 2009..These findings confirm the need to develop practical postlicensure education strategies and ways to embed patient decision support tools into systems of care...
- Understanding and overcoming the barriers of implementing patient decision aids in clinical practiceSiobhan O'Donnell
Clinical Epidemiology Program, Ottawa Health Research Institute, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
J Eval Clin Pract 12:174-81. 2006..This report is based on our interpretation of the literature and our collective experience in implementing ptDAs within trials and other contexts...
- Establishing the cost-effectiveness of new pharmaceuticals under conditions of uncertainty--when is there sufficient evidence?Mark Sculpher
Centre for Health Economics, University of York, York, UK
Value Health 8:433-46. 2005....
- Quality-adjusted life-years lack quality in pediatric care: a critical review of published cost-utility studies in child healthIngolf Griebsch
MRC Health Services Research Collaboration, Department of Social Medicine, University of Bristol, Whiteladies Road, Bristol BS8 2PR, United Kingdom
Pediatrics 115:e600-14. 2005....
- Randomized, controlled trial of an interactive videodisc decision aid for patients with ischemic heart diseaseM W Morgan
The Toronto Hospital and Sunnybrook Health Science Centre Units, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Gen Intern Med 15:685-93. 2000....
- Probabilistic analysis of cost-effectiveness models: statistical representation of parameter uncertaintyAndrew Briggs
Value Health 8:1-2. 2005
- Heuristics and biases: selected errors in clinical reasoningA S Elstein
Department of Medical Education, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago 60612 7309, USA
Acad Med 74:791-4. 1999..This essay uses Bayes' theorem and concepts from decision theory to describe and explain some well-documented errors in clinical reasoning. Heuristics and biases are the cognitive factors that produce these errors...
- Ten common mistakes in designing biodiversity indicators for forest policyLee Failing
Compass Resource Management, Suite 200, 1260 Hamilton Street, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada V6B 2S8
J Environ Manage 68:121-32. 2003..Correcting the mistakes will help to address these problems and, more generally, recognizes the need to better understand the interface between science, public values, and decision making...
- Assessing the cost effectiveness of using prognostic biomarkers with decision models: case study in prioritising patients waiting for coronary artery surgeryMartin Henriksson
Centre for Medical Technology Assessment, Linkoping University, Sweden
BMJ 340:b5606. 2010..To determine the effectiveness and cost effectiveness of using information from circulating biomarkers to inform the prioritisation process of patients with stable angina awaiting coronary artery bypass graft surgery...
- Googling for a diagnosis--use of Google as a diagnostic aid: internet based studyHangwi Tang
Department of Respiratory and Sleep Medicine, Princess Alexandra Hospital, Brisbane, Q4102, Australia
BMJ 333:1143-5. 2006..To determine how often searching with Google (the most popular search engine on the world wide web) leads doctors to the correct diagnosis...
- Decision making in medicine and health careRobert M Kaplan
Department of Health Services, School of Public Health, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 1772, USA
Annu Rev Clin Psychol 1:525-56. 2005..Decision aids hold promise for improving individual decisions, but there are still few systematic evaluations of these aids. Several directions for future research are offered...
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of expanded antiviral prophylaxis and adjuvanted vaccination strategies for an influenza A (H5N1) pandemicNayer Khazeni
Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine, Stanford University Medical Center, 300 Pasteur Drive, H3143, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Ann Intern Med 151:840-53. 2009..The pandemic potential of influenza A (H5N1) virus is a prominent public health concern of the 21st century...
- Measuring the impact of diagnostic decision support on the quality of clinical decision making: development of a reliable and valid composite scorePadmanabhan Ramnarayan
Department of Paediatrics, St Mary s Hospital, London, England
J Am Med Inform Assoc 10:563-72. 2003..This report describes a reliable and valid scoring technique to measure the quality of clinical decision plans in an acute medical setting, where diagnostic decision support tools might prove most useful...
- A cost-effectiveness analysis of newborn hearing screening strategiesA R Kemper
Children s Primary Care Research Group, Department of Pediatrics University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill 27599 7225, USA
Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med 154:484-8. 2000..Targeted screening reserves the 2-stage screening process for those infants at risk for congenital hearing loss...
- [The efficiency of different detection strategies of human African trypanosomiasis by T. b. gambiense]Pascal Lutumba
Programme National de Lutte contre la Trypanosomiase Humaine Africaine, Kinshasa, Republique Democratique du Congo
Trop Med Int Health 10:347-56. 2005..This decision analysis compared the efficiency of three alternative detection strategies: screening by LN only, CATT only and their combination (LN and CATT)...
- The inclusion of patient testimonials in decision aids: effects on treatment choicesP A Ubel
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Med Decis Making 21:60-8. 2001..Efforts to make the mix of positive versus negative testimonials proportionate to statistical information may, under some circumstances, affect choices in ways that cannot automatically be assumed to be optimal...
- Toward the 'tipping point': decision aids and informed patient choiceAnnette M O'Connor
School of Nursing and Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa
Health Aff (Millwood) 26:716-25. 2007..This paper discusses progress in implementing decision aids and the policy prospects for reaching a "tipping point" in the adoption of "informed patient choice" as a standard of practice...
- Themes affecting health-care consumers' choice of a hospital for elective surgery when receiving web-based comparative consumer informationAlbine Moser
CAPHRI School for Public Health and Primary Care, Maastricht University, 6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Patient Educ Couns 78:365-71. 2010..To get insights into the decision-making strategy of health-care consumers when confronted with comparative consumer information...
- Health economic evaluations using decision analytic modeling. Principles and practices--utilization of a checklist to their development and appraisalJavier Soto
Int J Technol Assess Health Care 18:94-111. 2002....
- Review of guidelines for good practice in decision-analytic modelling in health technology assessmentZ Philips
Centre for Health Economics, University of York, UK
Health Technol Assess 8:iii-iv, ix-xi, 1-158. 2004..In addition to provide guidance on key theoretical, methodological and practical issues and consider the implications of this research for what might be expected of future decision-analytic models...
- HCV screening to enable early treatment of hepatitis C: a mathematical model to analyse costs and outcomes in two populationsA Tramarin
Agenzia Regionale Socio Sanitaria del Veneto, Venice, Italy
Curr Pharm Des 14:1655-60. 2008..The number of premature deaths prevented in the IWSs cohort is lower and there seems to be an unacceptable incremental cost per QALY gained, which may be unsustainable for society...
- Who does the numbers? The role of third-party technology assessment to inform health systems' decision-making about the funding of health technologiesMarco Barbieri
Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain
Value Health 12:193-201. 2009..In most systems, technology assessment is undertaken by the manufacturer of the technology. In a few, "third-party" assessment is used...
- Measuring acceptability of clinical decision rules: validation of the Ottawa acceptability of decision rules instrument (OADRI) in four countriesJamie C Brehaut
Department of Epidemiology and Community Medicine, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Med Decis Making 30:398-408. 2010..No existing instrument measures the acceptability of a rule. The current study validated such an instrument...
- Emergency Neurophysiological Assessment Bedside Logic EngineDon M Tucker; Fiscal Year: 2010..Network access technology will facilitate remote review by expert neurologists, and a training protocol will provide first-responder usability for emergency technicians and physicians without training in clinical neurophysiology. ..
- Patient-centered approaches to diagnosing coronary heart diseaseJOSEPH ABIODUN LADAPO; Fiscal Year: 2013..I believe the K23 will provide me with the training and mentorship I need to develop into an independent investigator. ..
- Developing, Validating, and Implementing a CKD Predictive Model (DELVECKD)KHALED A ABDEL-KADER; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Clinical Outcomes for Siblings of Children with Vesico-Ureteral RefluxCALEB PENNELL NELSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Infant Antibiotic Resistance and Implications for Therapeutic Decision-makingSHARON MEROPOL; Fiscal Year: 2013..The plan includes training by recognized and successful mentors to cultivate unique skills that can be applied in future independent research. ..
- Non-invasive evaluation of Non-alcoholic SteatohepatitisMichelle Lai; Fiscal Year: 2013..It will give a predictive instrument for NASH as well as answer health policy questions that will have a substantial impact on the national health care budget, clinical practice and on patient health. ..
- Development and Pilot Test of an Elective BSO Decision Support GuideMiriam Kuppermann; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Comparative effectiveness of ECG screening in children with Attention Deficit HypLaurel K Leslie; Fiscal Year: 2010..In this application, we propose to apply three up-to-date methodologies - evidence-based synthesis, decision analysis, and preference elicitation - to address this pressing clinical and public policy issue. ..
- Reducing morbidity and mortality from acute febrile illness by improved diagnosisMEGAN ELIZABETH RELLER; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed 5-year training period will allow the applicant to gain skills and forge new collaborations to support a career in this neglected area. ..
- Adapting Electronic Medical Record to Measure Medical Outcomes in ASD PopulationsRUTH ANN BUSH; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Knee OA: Setting Priorities for Care, Policy, ResearchElena Losina; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study will provide guidance to clinicians and policy makers on efforts to reduce pain and disability, and to improve quality of life for people with knee osteoarthritis. ..
- Optimizing Outcomes for HIV-Exposed and HIV-Infected Children in South AfricaANDREA LYNNE CIARANELLO; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Effectiveness of Radiotherapy for Prostate CancerJUSTIN BEKELMAN; Fiscal Year: 2013..Thus, this proposal has strong clinical relevance. Through this award, I will leverage important new skills in advanced health services research methods to become an independent, grant-funded physician-scientist. ..
- Balancing the Risks of Ischemia and Bleeding in Percutaneous Coronary InterventioRobert Yeh; Fiscal Year: 2013..The research will demonstrate how the end products of outcomes research can be translated into innovative interventions that can "personalize" medical decisions and ultimately improve patient care. ..
- Modeling Optimal Strategies to Prevent Cardiovascular Events in Older AdultsMICHELLE CHRISTINA ODDEN; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- EVALUATION AND TESTING OF A DECISION SUPPORT AID IN CONTRACEPTIVE DECISION MAKINGTessa Madden; Fiscal Year: 2013..This has the potential to significantly impact the rates of unintended pregnancy. ..
- Decision Aid for Cigarette Smokers Undergoing SurgeryDavid O Warner; Fiscal Year: 2012..Because millions of Americans require surgery each year, if the new method is successful it will help these smokers not only have better results after surgery, but to also gain the dramatic health benefits of quitting smoking. ..
- Non-Traditional Patient Characteristics and Attainment of Self-Care Goals in CKDJULIE ANNE WRIGHT; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- PREDICTIVE MODELING IN LUNG CANCERVarun Puri; Fiscal Year: 2013..The career objective of the proposal is to develop the candidate into an independent investigator, who can implement modeling approaches to assess the impact of interventions on clinical care in oncology. ..
- PREDICTORS OF SPONTANEOUS CEREBRAL AVM HEMORRHAGEHelen Kim; Fiscal Year: 2013..We hypothesize that addition of novel risk factors will provide further improvement in discrimination of risk. The proposed project will undergird future multi-center efforts to improve care for bAVM patients. ..
- A Targeted Decision Aid to Improve Minority Participation in Clinical TrialsMARGARET MARY BYRNE; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, the proposed research will have a wide reaching effect on the clinical trials research community, and consequently on entire populations of patients who will benefit from the newly developed treatments and therapies. ..
- Forecasting the Cardiovascular Disease Epidemic in ChinaANDREW EDWARD MORAN; Fiscal Year: 2012..S. Completion of this award will prepare the candidate to compete for R01 funding toward the development of a CVD prediction model adaptable to multiple countries. ..
- Improving decision making for patients with prolonged mechanical ventilationCHRISTOPHER ETHAN COX; Fiscal Year: 2013..Overall, this research could have a significant, sustained impact on critical care's future clinica and research approach. ..
- Adaptation of Consumer Guides for Patients with Low Health LiteracyMaria E Suarez Almazor; Fiscal Year: 2010..Patients with these disorders face many treatment options. This project will provide tools for patients with lower health literacy educational tools to assist them in making informed treatment decisions. ..
- Living Donor Liver Transplantation Cohort StudyCarl L Berg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Mechanisms that contribute to rapid allograft infection and injury will be examined including hepatocyte infection, rates of viral replication and kinetics of serum viral clearance. ..
- Measuring Preferences for Fertility in Breast Cancer for a Decision AidCHRISTINE MARY DUFFY; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- MTRNR1 Aminoglycoside Ototoxicity Outcomes and Parental Perceptions of TestingTracy L McGregor; Fiscal Year: 2013..Results from this work will guide the methods for introducin this aminoglycoside pharmacogenetics model into the clinical setting. ..
- Widespread vs Selective Screening for Hepatitis B Infection Prior to ChemotherapyJESSICA PARK HWANG; Fiscal Year: 2013..This application possesses the potential to shift the standard of care for cancer patients with HBV prior to chemotherapy. ..
- Advanced Training Health Service ResearchMark Pauly; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- The Cost-Effectiveness of MRI in Early Rheumatoid ArthritisLisa G Suter; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results will address an important unanswered question in Rheumatology that would otherwise require years of costly prospective research. ..
- Decision-making in Pelvic Floor Disorders: Translating Outcomes to PracticeJAMES LEIGH WHITESIDE; Fiscal Year: 2010..This study seeks to know those factors associated with good treatment decisions and to develop a simple decision-aid to improve decision support among women affected by a pelvic floor problem. ..
- Decision Making about Organ Quality in Liver TransplantationMICHAEL LUCAS VOLK; Fiscal Year: 2013..In addition, this research may improve patient outcomes by ensuring that high risk organs go to patients who are most likely to benefit from them. ..
- Predictors of Long-Term Outcome of Unruptured Intracranial AneurysmsJames C Torner; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed analysis of the ISUIA cohort will further define the risk of aneurysm rupture, the competing causes of death and the effectiveness of hemorrhage prevention through surgical and endovascular treatment. ..
- Implementation Science Approaches for Novel TB Diagnostics in HIV Prevalent AreasMaunank Shah; Fiscal Year: 2013..This comprehensive portfolio will facilitate development as an independent clinical investigator. ..
- Comparative Effectiveness of Economic Incentives for Heart Disease PreventionJohn B Wong; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Benefits and Burdens of Screening Oldest-old Women: the Case of MammographyMara A Schonberg; Fiscal Year: 2011..This proposal will collect data to design a decision aid to help with decision-making around mammography screening for women 80 and older. ..
- Cardiovascular Outcomes Research Training ProgramJohn A Spertus; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Comparative effectiveness of FIT vs. colonoscopy for colon cancer screeningBARCEY THURSTON LEVY; Fiscal Year: 2010..The larger, future trial will involve fecal immunochemical testing, followed by colonoscopy for those who are FIT positive, in a sample of average-risk individuals across the state of Iowa. ..
- Clinical Communication Following a Decision AidMargaret M Holmes-Rovner; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Triage and Allocation Model for Primary PCI After STEMIThomas W Concannon; Fiscal Year: 2012..Tufts University maintains a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Center for integration of GIS into the research of Tufts'faculty, staff, and students. ..
- Clinical and Social Implications of Cost Sharing for Cancer DrugsYu Ning Wong; Fiscal Year: 2012..Our results may suggest consideration of a novel benefit design that encourages patients to make decisions based on relative value, rather than cost alone. ..
- A Conference Grant for Special Programming on Decision Making in CancerElbert S Huang; Fiscal Year: 2011....
- Identifying and reducing cognitive biases created by decision aidsPeter A Ubel; Fiscal Year: 2011..This work is essential to ensuring that patients are fully informed and able to participate in decision making regarding their medical care. ..
- Decision-making regarding radiation therapy in breast cancer"Rinaa S Punglia; Fiscal Year: 2010..The proposed combined education and research program, in addition to strong mentorship, will provide the candidate with the skills and experience necessary for a career as an independent outcomes researcher in breast cancer. ..
- Applications of Multi-Criteria Optimization (AMCO) to Cancer Simulation ModelingChung Kong; Fiscal Year: 2013..PUBLIC HEALTH RELEVANCE: This research is relevant to public health because it improves the accuracy of simulation models for cancer screening policy prediction and planning. ..
- Optimizing Treatment of Rectal Cancer Using a Markov Decision ModelGeorge J Chang; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- DUKE TRAINING GRANT IN NEPHROLOGYThomas M Coffman; Fiscal Year: 2013..Completion of this program should allow trainees to pursue careers in academic medicine with the skills to conduct high-quality research in clinical, translational and basic aspects of nephrology. ..
- Post-doctoral fellowship in comparative effectiveness researchDavid Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2010..The idea that any form of research worth doing is worth training scientists to do it properly, holds for CER. This training grant will improve the health care of Americans by training outstanding investigators in a critical new field. ..
- Meta-analysis of CAM therapies for HIVHenry S Sacks; Fiscal Year: 2013..This proposal will use modern mathematical techniques to summarize the evidence about the usefulness of a variety of CAM therapies for problems common in people with HIV. ..
- BIOSTATISTICS/EPIDEMIOLOGY TRAINING GRANTS IN AIDSMarcello Pagano; Fiscal Year: 2013..This grant is requesting funds to train biostatisticians and epidemiologists to continue to contribute in a coordinated fight against this virus on all fronts, from prevention and education to treatment. ..
- Addressing Prostate Cancer Information Disparities with eHealth TechnologyJennifer Dacey Allen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Results will not only inform decision-making for PCS, but can inform the development of interventions for other conditions or procedures that call for SDM. ..
- Systems Engineering Focus on Clinical InformaticsEllen J Bass; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- Closing the Research-To-Practice Gap in Cardiac Care Minority and Low Income Pop*Adesuwa B Olomu; Fiscal Year: 2013..3) Demonstrate the feasibility and effectiveness of Office-GAP in FQCHC sites in Ingham County, Michigan. ..
- AHRQ National Research Service Award Institutional Research Training GrantDavid Edelman; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- RESPIRATORY DISEASES/BSI STUDYShahin Lockman; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- COPE-P: Shared Decision-Making Aid for Patients Regarding Chronic Opioid TherapySusan A Stoner; Fiscal Year: 2010..We propose to develop a web-based program to help patients, along with their healthcare teams, learn about and decide whether to utilize chronic opioid therapy or other alternatives. ..
- Joint Initiative in Vaccine Economics, Phase 4Lisa A Prosser; Fiscal Year: 2013..Jointly with investigators from CDC, the research team will identify topics of policy relevance and develop the appropriate research plan. ..
- Balancing the Risk and Benefits of Rapid Weight Gain in InfancyMandy Brown Belfort; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed award will enable Dr. Belfort to make a substantial scientific contribution and to develop her career as an independent investigator. ..
- Cost-Effectiveness of Radiofrequency Ablation for Small, Incidental Renal TumorsPARI VIJAY PANDHARIPANDE; Fiscal Year: 2013..Insights from my research will improve practice guidelines for the use of radiofrequency ablation, and may ultimately preclude the need for surgery in patients with small, incidentally detected renal tumors. ..
- Outcomes Research in Rheumatic Diseases: A Mentoring ProgramMaria E Suarez-Almazor; Fiscal Year: 2013..The K24 award will provide me with protected time to continue to mentor others in the Houston rheumatology academic community and help them establish their independent careers in patient-oriented research in rheumatic diseases. ..
- eCoach: Development and pilot testing of a decision aid for prostate cancerTheresa Wicklin Gillespie; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ultimately we envision a tool that could be generalized to a number of other conditions and could transform the process of shared decision making for millions of patients. ..
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCHDouglas K Owens; Fiscal Year: 2012..We request support for five postdoctoral trainees, who are expected to receive three years of support, and to obtain either a doctoral or master's degree in a field related to health care research. ..
- Cost Effectiveness of Anticoagulation Versus Genetic Testing of CYP2C9 & VKORC1 GAnna Teschemaker; Fiscal Year: 2009..The current study is proposed to assess the cost-effectiveness of genetic testing for the identified genes. ..
- THERAPY IN DIALYSIS HYPOALBUMINEMIA AND HOMOCYSTEINEMIAJoseph Eustace; Fiscal Year: 2004..Eustace to build on his current theoretical knowledge, make the transition into an independent clinical scientist and prepare him for a career investigating the role of nutrition in renal disease. ..
- GENETIC PREDISPOSITION TESTING IN COLORECTAL CANCERDeborah Schrag; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- BACK PAIN OUTCOME ASSESSMENT TEAMRichard Deyo; Fiscal Year: 1991..Guidelines for use of these services will ge disseminated by professional and payer organizations and innovative CME efforts. New decision aids for both physicians and patients will incorporate data from all the assessment activities...
- Decision Analysis of Otitis Media Vaccination StrategiesTracy Lieu; Fiscal Year: 2005..The decision analytic model will yield information toward the optimal choices for current scientific inquiry, and will also provide a foundation for updated analyses as otitis media vaccines are further developed and tested. ..
- Joint Initiative in Vaccine Economics (JIVE) ProjectTracy Lieu; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Developing a Strategic Approach to Management of Adolescents with PIDMaria Trent; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Fertility Decision-Making and Reproductive Health Outcomes in the Era of AntiretrSHEREE SCHWARTZ; Fiscal Year: 2009..The overall objective of this study is to further our understanding of fertility desires, reproductive decision making processes and reproductive health outcomes in HIV-positive women on treatment. ..
- Better Decisions, Better Care: Advancing decision support to improve health careNananda Col; Fiscal Year: 2006..This is a venue in which strong intellectual challenges to the status quo can engage the best researchers in the field. ..
- MENTAL HEALTH SERVICES RESEARCH FOR PERSONS WITH SMDRobert Drake; Fiscal Year: 2000..The New Hampshire Division of Mental Health and Developmental Services and the Dartmouth Medical School, who created the PRC in 1987 as part of a public-academic liaison, have pledged substantial support for the project. ..
- Generating, Evaluating, and Implementing Evidence for Drug-Drug Interactions in HDaniel Malone; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Better Decisions, Better Care: Theories of Medical Decision Making and HealthVALERIE REYNA; Fiscal Year: 2006..This is a venue in which strong intellectual challenges to the status quo can engage the best researchers in the field. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Kentucky HSR Development IISteven Fleming; Fiscal Year: 2005..The three projects address AHRQ research priorities of prevention, patient safety/quality, and translational research involving costs respectively. ..
- QUALITY OF LIFE AND TREATMENT FOR BRAIN TRAUMAJason Doctor; Fiscal Year: 2003....