Summary: A loose confederation of computer communication networks around the world. The networks that make up the Internet are connected through several backbone networks. The Internet grew out of the US Government ARPAnet project and was designed to facilitate information exchange.
- Lillevoll K, Wilhelmsen M, Kolstrup N, Høifødt R, Waterloo K, Eisemann M, et al. Patients' experiences of helpfulness in guided internet-based treatment for depression: qualitative study of integrated therapeutic dimensions. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15:e126 pubmed publisherQuantitative research on Internet-based cognitive behavioral therapy (ICBT) has collected substantial evidence for the effectiveness of this treatment approach on health outcomes...
- Busch V, Manders L, De Leeuw J. Screen time associated with health behaviors and outcomes in adolescents. Am J Health Behav. 2013;37:819-30 pubmed publisherTo study the associations of screen time (Internet / video games / television) with health-related behaviors and outcomes in adolescents...
- Mariotti M, Lobanov A, Guigo R, Gladyshev V. SECISearch3 and Seblastian: new tools for prediction of SECIS elements and selenoproteins. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:e149 pubmed publisher..An analysis of a representative candidate belonging to the AhpC family shows how the use of Sec in this protein evolved in bacterial and eukaryotic lineages. ..
- Feng Q, Chen X, Sun J, Zhou Y, Sun Y, Ding W, et al. Voxel-level comparison of arterial spin-labeled perfusion magnetic resonance imaging in adolescents with internet gaming addiction. Behav Brain Funct. 2013;9:33 pubmed publisherAlthough recent studies have clearly demonstrated functional and structural abnormalities in adolescents with internet gaming addiction (IGA), less is known about how IGA affects perfusion in the human brain...
- Faraci P, Craparo G, Messina R, Severino S. Internet Addiction Test (IAT): which is the best factorial solution?. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15:e225 pubmed publisherThe Internet Addiction Test (IAT) by Kimberly Young is one of the most utilized diagnostic instruments for Internet addiction...
- Mathelier A, Zhao X, Zhang A, Parcy F, Worsley Hunt R, Arenillas D, et al. JASPAR 2014: an extensively expanded and updated open-access database of transcription factor binding profiles. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D142-7 pubmed publisher..Finally, the new JASPAR release is accompanied by a new BioPython package, a new R tool package and a new R/Bioconductor data package to facilitate access for both manual and automated methods. ..
- Goldberg J, Griggs A, Smith J, Haas B, Wortman J, Zeng Q. Kinannote, a computer program to identify and classify members of the eukaryotic protein kinase superfamily. Bioinformatics. 2013;29:2387-94 pubmed publisher..Kinannote is freely available at http://sourceforge.net/projects/kinannote. ..
- Kalathur R, Pinto J, Hernandez Prieto M, Machado R, Almeida D, Chaurasia G, et al. UniHI 7: an enhanced database for retrieval and interactive analysis of human molecular interaction networks. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D408-14 pubmed publisher..A distinctive feature of UniHI 7 is its user-friendly interface designed to be utilized in an intuitive manner, enabling researchers less acquainted with network analysis to perform state-of-the-art network-based investigations. ..
- Kuhn M, Szklarczyk D, Pletscher Frankild S, Blicher T, von Mering C, Jensen L, et al. STITCH 4: integration of protein-chemical interactions with user data. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D401-7 pubmed publisher..This improves the performance within protein families, where scores are now transferred only to orthologous proteins, but not to paralogous proteins. STITCH can be accessed with a web-interface, an API and downloadable files. ..
- Dong G, Hu Y, Lin X. Reward/punishment sensitivities among internet addicts: Implications for their addictive behaviors. Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry. 2013;46:139-45 pubmed publisherb>Internet addiction disorder (IAD) has raised widespread public health concerns. In this study, we used a gambling task to simulate extreme win/lose situations to find the reward/punishment sensitivities after continuous wins and losses...
- Di Doménico T, Potenza E, Walsh I, Parra R, Giollo M, Minervini G, et al. RepeatsDB: a database of tandem repeat protein structures. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D352-7 pubmed publisher..It provides users with the possibility to access and download high-quality datasets either interactively or programmatically through web services. ..
- Madej T, Lanczycki C, Zhang D, Thiessen P, Geer R, Marchler Bauer A, et al. MMDB and VAST+: tracking structural similarities between macromolecular complexes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D297-303 pubmed publisher..VAST+ replaces the previous VAST service as the default presentation of structure neighboring data in NCBI's Entrez query and retrieval system. MMDB and VAST+ can be accessed via http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Structure. ..
- Tiller D, O Mara D, Rothnie I, Dunn S, Lee L, Roberts C. Internet-based multiple mini-interviews for candidate selection for graduate entry programmes. Med Educ. 2013;47:801-10 pubmed publisher..We compared 2011 international student internet-based iMMI results with data from 2009 international student MMIs and 2011 local student MMIs...
- Thorn C, Klein T, Altman R. PharmGKB: the Pharmacogenomics Knowledge Base. Methods Mol Biol. 2013;1015:311-20 pubmed publisher..Registered users can access and download data to aid in the design of future pharmacogenetics and pharmacogenomics studies. ..
- Finkelstein J, Bedra M. Is Internet search better than structured instruction for web-based health education?. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2013;190:65-7 pubmedb>Internet provides access to vast amounts of comprehensive information regarding any health-related subject. Patients increasingly use this information for health education using a search engine to identify education materials...
- Milinovich G, Williams G, Clements A, Hu W. Internet-based surveillance systems for monitoring emerging infectious diseases. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:160-8 pubmed publisher..b>Internet-based surveillance systems offer a novel and developing means of monitoring conditions of public health concern, ..
- Huang K, Brady A, Mahurkar A, White O, Gevers D, Huttenhower C, et al. MetaRef: a pan-genomic database for comparative and community microbial genomics. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D617-24 pubmed publisher..MetaRef provides all information both as an online browsable resource and as downloadable sequences and tabular data files that can be used for subsequent offline studies. ..
- Johnson A, Mehta S. A comparison of Internet search trends and sexually transmitted infection rates using Google trends. Sex Transm Dis. 2014;41:61-3 pubmed publisher..Trends seem to be similar to the relative rates of STIs and to regional differences in rates. Search engine trends are an innovative tool to integrate into STI surveillance. ..
- Ohlow M, Brunelli M, Lauer B. Internet use in patients with cardiovascular diseases: Bad Berka Cross-Sectional Study (BABSY). Int J Clin Pract. 2013;67:990-5 pubmed publisherb>Internet has become a significant resource for dissemination of medical information. We sought to investigate prevalence and usage patterns of Internet access among consecutive patients with cardiovascular diseases...
- Pietrzak E, Cotea C, Pullman S, Nasveld P. Self-management and rehabilitation in osteoarthritis: is there a place for internet-based interventions?. Telemed J E Health. 2013;19:800-5 pubmed publisher..databases Cochrane, MEDLINE, and SCOPUS were searched to collect evidence on the impact of community-based Internet interventions for adult patients with osteoarthritis (OA) on health outcomes...
- Harris J, Mueller N, Snider D. Social media adoption in local health departments nationwide. Am J Public Health. 2013;103:1700-7 pubmed publisher..Social media has the potential to aid LHDs in disseminating information across the public health system. More evidence is needed to develop best practices for this emerging tool. ..
- Li Y, Zhang X, Lu F, Zhang Q, Wang Y. Internet addiction among elementary and middle school students in China: a nationally representative sample study. Cyberpsychol Behav Soc Netw. 2014;17:111-6 pubmed publisherThe purpose of this study was to examine the prevalence of Internet addiction in a nationally representative sample of Chinese elementary and middle school students and to investigate Internet addiction among Internet users with different ..
- Korpar M, Sikić M. SW#-GPU-enabled exact alignments on genome scale. Bioinformatics. 2013;29:2494-5 pubmed publisher..For long sequences, it is at least a few hundred times faster than a CPU version of the same algorithm. Source code and installation instructions freely available for download at http://complex.zesoi.fer.hr/SW.html. ..
- McCully S, Don B, Updegraff J. Using the Internet to help with diet, weight, and physical activity: results from the Health Information National Trends Survey (HINTS). J Med Internet Res. 2013;15:e148 pubmed publisherThe Internet offers a viable platform for cost-effective and wide-reaching health interventions...
- Li W, Kinch L, Grishin N. Pclust: protein network visualization highlighting experimental data. Bioinformatics. 2013;29:2647-8 pubmed publisher..The Pclust server is freely available at http://prodata.swmed.edu/pclust ..
- Thorndike F, Ritterband L, Gonder Frederick L, Lord H, Ingersoll K, Morin C. A randomized controlled trial of an internet intervention for adults with insomnia: effects on comorbid psychological and fatigue symptoms. J Clin Psychol. 2013;69:1078-93 pubmed publisher..This secondary data analysis investigated whether an Internet-delivered cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia (CBT-I) intervention could also reduce comorbid psychological ..
- Welter D, Macarthur J, Morales J, Burdett T, Hall P, Junkins H, et al. The NHGRI GWAS Catalog, a curated resource of SNP-trait associations. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D1001-6 pubmed publisher..This article presents a number of recent improvements to the Catalog, including novel ways for users to interact with the Catalog and changes to the curation infrastructure. ..
- Brooksbank C, Bergman M, Apweiler R, Birney E, Thornton J. The European Bioinformatics Institute's data resources 2014. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D18-25 pubmed publisher..Here, we summarize the principles underpinning the development of these public resources and provide an overview of EMBL-EBI's database collection to complement the reviews of individual databases provided elsewhere in this issue. ..
- Landrum M, Lee J, Riley G, Jang W, Rubinstein W, Church D, et al. ClinVar: public archive of relationships among sequence variation and human phenotype. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D980-5 pubmed publisher..ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/variation/tools/reporter), which reports what is known about variation based on user-supplied locations. ..
- Zuberi K, Franz M, Rodriguez H, Montojo J, Lopes C, Bader G, et al. GeneMANIA prediction server 2013 update. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:W115-22 pubmed publisher..Users can customize their search by selecting specific data sets to query and by uploading their own data sets to analyze. ..
- Blohm P, Frishman G, Smialowski P, Goebels F, Wachinger B, Ruepp A, et al. Negatome 2.0: a database of non-interacting proteins derived by literature mining, manual annotation and protein structure analysis. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D396-400 pubmed publisher..Manual verification shows that nearly a half of the text mining results with the highest confidence values correspond to NIP pairs. Compared to the first version the contents of the database have grown by over 300%. ..
- Britten R, Christie G, Little C, Miller A, Bradley C, Wu A, et al. FieldML, a proposed open standard for the Physiome project for mathematical model representation. Med Biol Eng Comput. 2013;51:1191-207 pubmed publisher..The details of FieldML version 0.5 are presented, as well as its limitations and some discussion of the progress being made to address these limitations. ..
- Söhngen C, Bunk B, Podstawka A, Gleim D, Overmann J. BacDive--the Bacterial Diversity Metadatabase. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D592-9 pubmed publisher..The user can compile individual sets of strains to a download selection that can easily be imported into nearly all spreadsheet applications. ..
- Kasahara K, Kinoshita K. GIANT: pattern analysis of molecular interactions in 3D structures of protein-small ligand complexes. BMC Bioinformatics. 2014;15:12 pubmed publisher..hgc.jp/. ..
- Hanson C, Cannon B, Burton S, Giraud Carrier C. An exploration of social circles and prescription drug abuse through Twitter. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15:e189 pubmed publisher..85, P<.001). Twitter users who discuss prescription drug abuse online are surrounded by others who also discuss it-potentially reinforcing a negative behavior and social norm. ..
- Khosropour C, Johnson B, Ricca A, Sullivan P. Enhancing retention of an Internet-based cohort study of men who have sex with men (MSM) via text messaging: randomized controlled trial. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15:e194 pubmed publisher..Black and Hispanic men who have sex with men (MSM) are disproportionately affected by HIV in the United States. The Internet is a promising vehicle for delivery of HIV prevention interventions to these men, but retention of MSM of color ..
- Van De Belt T, Engelen L, Berben S, Teerenstra S, Samsom M, Schoonhoven L. Internet and social media for health-related information and communication in health care: preferences of the Dutch general population. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15:e220 pubmed publisher..Little is known about the preferences of the Dutch general population regarding the use of the Internet and social media in health care...
- Fox N, Brenner S, Chandonia J. SCOPe: Structural Classification of Proteins--extended, integrating SCOP and ASTRAL data and classification of new structures. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D304-9 pubmed publisher..The latest release of SCOPe, 2.03, contains 59 514 Protein Data Bank (PDB) entries, increasing the number of structures classified in SCOP by 55% and including more than 65% of the protein structures in the PDB. ..
- Wall K, Stephenson R, Sullivan P. Frequency of sexual activity with most recent male partner among young, Internet-using men who have sex with men in the United States. J Homosex. 2013;60:1520-38 pubmed publisher..However, few data on sex frequency have been reported for men who have sex with men (MSM). Data from an Internet survey of MSM were used to describe sex frequency with most recent main and casual male partners and to estimate ..
- Nigam R, Laulederkind S, Hayman G, Smith J, Wang S, Lowry T, et al. Rat Genome Database: a unique resource for rat, human, and mouse quantitative trait locus data. Physiol Genomics. 2013;45:809-16 pubmed publisher..The QTL data at RGD provide valuable information for the study of mapped phenotypes and identification of candidate genes for disease associations. ..
- Fernandez Suarez X, Rigden D, Galperin M. The 2014 Nucleic Acids Research Database Issue and an updated NAR online Molecular Biology Database Collection. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D1-6 pubmed publisher..oxfordjournals.org/nar/database/c/, has been expanded to 1552 databases. The entire Database Issue is freely available online on the Nucleic Acids Research website (http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/). ..
- Mosca R, Ceol A, Stein A, Olivella R, Aloy P. 3did: a catalog of domain-based interactions of known three-dimensional structure. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D374-9 pubmed publisher..3did is updated every 6 months. ..
- Xu H, Zhang H, Xia T, Han M, Shen Y, Zhang Z. BmTEdb: a collective database of transposable elements in the silkworm genome. Database (Oxford). 2013;2013:bat055 pubmed publisher..This database will facilitate studies for the silkworm genomics, the TE functions in the silkworm and the comparative analysis of the insect TEs. Database URL: http://gene.cqu.edu.cn/BmTEdb/. ..
- Ybarra M, Bull S, Prescott T, Birungi R. Acceptability and feasibility of CyberSenga: an Internet-based HIV-prevention program for adolescents in Mbarara, Uganda. AIDS Care. 2014;26:441-7 pubmed publisherCapitalizing on emerging data suggesting that HIV-preventive behaviors can be positively affected by Internet-based programs, we developed and tested CyberSenga, an Internet-based, comprehensive sexuality education program for adolescents ..
- Ebert D, Gollwitzer M, Riper H, Cuijpers P, Baumeister H, Berking M. For whom does it work? moderators of outcome on the effect of a transdiagnostic internet-based maintenance treatment after inpatient psychotherapy: randomized controlled trial. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15:e191 pubmed publisherRecent studies provide evidence for the effectiveness of Internet-based maintenance treatments for mental disorders. However, it is still unclear which participants might or might not profit from this particular kind of treatment delivery...
- Kjellgren A, Jönsson K. Methoxetamine (MXE)--a phenomenological study of experiences induced by a "legal high" from the internet. J Psychoactive Drugs. 2013;45:276-86 pubmedMethoxetamine (MXE), a ketamine analogue, is one of the new "legal highs" sold on the Internet. The aim of this qualitative study was to provide an initial understanding of what characterizes the experiences induced by MXE...
- Jewison T, Su Y, Disfany F, Liang Y, Knox C, Maciejewski A, et al. SMPDB 2.0: big improvements to the Small Molecule Pathway Database. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D478-84 pubmed publisher..Because of its utility and breadth of coverage, SMPDB is now integrated into several other databases including HMDB and DrugBank. ..
- Song T, Song J, An J, Hayman L, Woo J. Psychological and social factors affecting Internet searches on suicide in Korea: a big data analysis of Google search trends. Yonsei Med J. 2014;55:254-63 pubmed publisher..Real-time big data can be of use in indicating increases in suicidality when search words such as stress and suicide generate greater numbers of hits on portals and social network sites. ..
- Kim M, Pinto S, Getnet D, Nirujogi R, Manda S, Chaerkady R, et al. A draft map of the human proteome. Nature. 2014;509:575-81 pubmed publisher..humanproteomemap.org) will complement available human genome and transcriptome data to accelerate biomedical research in health and disease. ..
- Flicek P, Amode M, Barrell D, Beal K, Billis K, Brent S, et al. Ensembl 2014. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D749-55 pubmed publisher..Our REST service has been extended with additional support for comparative genomics and ontology information. Finally, we provide updated information about our methods for data access and resources for user training. ..
- Poelman M, Steenhuis I, De Vet E, Seidell J. The development and evaluation of an Internet-based intervention to increase awareness about food portion sizes: a randomized, controlled trial. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2013;45:701-7 pubmed publisher..061; P < .001) at posttest. Also, the authors observed a dose-dependent effect that led to improved awareness. The PortionSize@warenessTool constitutes a promising tool to improve portion size awareness. ..
- Reins J, Ebert D, Lehr D, Riper H, Cuijpers P, Berking M. Internet-based treatment of major depression for patients on a waiting list for inpatient psychotherapy: protocol for a multi-centre randomised controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry. 2013;13:318 pubmed publisher..German Clinical Trial Registration (DRKS): DRKS00004708. ..
- Kozomara A, Griffiths Jones S. miRBase: annotating high confidence microRNAs using deep sequencing data. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D68-73 pubmed publisher..mirbase.org/. We also describe embedding microRNA-specific Wikipedia pages on the miRBase website to encourage the microRNA community to contribute and share textual and functional information. ..
- Yuan J, Wu W, Xie C, Zhao G, Zhao Y, Chen R. NPInter v2.0: an updated database of ncRNA interactions. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D104-8 pubmed publisher..In addition, NPInter v2.0 incorporated a service for the BLAST alignment search as well as visualization of interactions. ..
- Dong G, Hu Y, Lin X, Lu Q. What makes Internet addicts continue playing online even when faced by severe negative consequences? Possible explanations from an fMRI study. Biol Psychol. 2013;94:282-9 pubmed publisher..task to monitor the mental activities during decision-making and their effects on subsequent decisions in Internet addiction disorder (IAD) subjects...
- Smith C, Finger J, Hayamizu T, McCright I, Xu J, Berghout J, et al. The mouse Gene Expression Database (GXD): 2014 update. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:D818-24 pubmed publisher..At present, GXD includes >1.4 million expression results and 250,000 images that are accessible to our search tools. ..
- Salemink E, Kindt M, Rienties H, van den Hout M. Internet-based cognitive bias modification of interpretations in patients with anxiety disorders: a randomised controlled trial. J Behav Ther Exp Psychiatry. 2014;45:186-95 pubmed publisher..Compared to both control conditions, CBM-I had superior effects on interpretations, but not on emotions. The current findings showed the boundary conditions for CBM-I. ..