computer communication networks
Summary: A system containing any combination of computers, computer terminals, printers, audio or visual display devices, or telephones interconnected by telecommunications equipment or cables: used to transmit or receive information. (Random House Unabridged Dictionary, 2d ed)
- Saleem S, Ullah S, Kwak K. A study of IEEE 802.15.4 security framework for wireless body area networks. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:1383-95 pubmed publisher..This means that the direct adaptation of IEEE 802.15.4 security framework for WBAN is not totally secure for certain WBAN applications. New solutions are required to integrate high level security in WBAN. ..
- Climent S, Capella J, Meratnia N, Serrano J. Underwater sensor networks: a new energy efficient and robust architecture. Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:704-31 pubmed publisher..Finally, simulation results illustrate the performance achievements of the proposed protocol in end-to-end delay, packet delivery ratio and energy consumption, showing that this protocol can be very suitable for the underwater medium. ..
- Won T, Park S. Design and implementation of an omni-directional underwater acoustic micro-modem based on a low-power micro-controller unit. Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:2309-23 pubmed publisher..Since the modem satisfies the requirements for use in UWSNs, it could be deployed in a wide range of applications requiring underwater acoustic communication. ..
- Felisberto F, Costa N, Fdez Riverola F, Pereira A. Unobstructive Body Area Networks (BAN) for efficient movement monitoring. Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:12473-88 pubmed publisher..The proposed system creates movement profiles based on the data sent by the WBAN's nodes, and is able to detect in real time any abnormal movement and allows for a monitored rehabilitation of the user. ..
- Islam M, Huh E. Sensor proxy mobile IPv6 (SPMIPv6)--a novel scheme for mobility supported IP-WSNs. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:1865-87 pubmed publisher..It also indicates that proposed scheme reduces the level of energy consumption significantly. ..
- Jiang W, Li P, Wang S, Wu Y, Xue M, Ohno Machado L, et al. WebGLORE: a web service for Grid LOgistic REgression. Bioinformatics. 2013;29:3238-40 pubmed publisher..http://dbmi-engine.ucsd.edu/webglore3/. WebGLORE can be used under the terms of GNU general public license as published by the Free Software Foundation. ..
- Sanfeliu A, Andrade Cetto J, Barbosa M, Bowden R, Capitán J, Corominas A, et al. Decentralized sensor fusion for Ubiquitous Networking Robotics in Urban Areas. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:2274-314 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we also explain how sensor fusion takes place to achieve urban outdoor execution of robotic services. Finally some results of the project related to the sensor network are highlighted. ..
- Min H, Cho Y, Heo J. Enhancing the reliability of head nodes in underwater sensor networks. Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:1194-210 pubmed publisher..Experimental results show that the proposed scheme enhances the reliability of the networks and makes them more efficient in terms of energy consumption and the recovery latency compared to the previous scheme without checkpointing. ..
- Que J, Jiang X, Ohno Machado L. A collaborative framework for Distributed Privacy-Preserving Support Vector Machine learning. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2012;2012:1350-9 pubmed..We also provide a free web-service (http://privacy.ucsd.edu:8080/ppsvm/) for multiple participants to collaborate and complete the SVM-learning task in an efficient and privacy-preserving manner. ..
- Muhammad K, Lee H, Lee S, Lee Y. BARI+: a biometric based distributed key management approach for wireless body area networks. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:3911-33 pubmed publisher..We highlight the differences between WSN and WBAN and propose an efficient key management scheme, which makes use of biometrics and is specifically designed for WBAN domain. ..
- Kumar P, Lee H. Security issues in healthcare applications using wireless medical sensor networks: a survey. Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:55-91 pubmed publisher..Finally, the paper ends up with a summary of open security research issues that need to be explored for future healthcare applications using WMSNs. ..
- Oey C, Moh S. A survey on temperature-aware routing protocols in wireless body sensor networks. Sensors (Basel). 2013;13:9860-77 pubmed publisher..In this paper, we present a brief overview of WBSNs, review the existing routing protocols comparatively and discuss challenging open issues in the design of routing protocols. ..
- Navarro G, Huertas I, Costas E, Flecha S, Díez Minguito M, Caballero I, et al. Use of a real-time remote monitoring network (RTRM) to characterize the Guadalquivir estuary (Spain). Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:1398-421 pubmed publisher..The network installed provided accurate data that can be rapidly used for research or educational applications and by policy-makers or agencies in charge of the management of the coastal area. ..
- Zhang S, Yu J, Zhang A, Yang L, Shu Y. Marine vehicle sensor network architecture and protocol designs for ocean observation. Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:373-90 pubmed publisher..Combined with the observation plan in the South China Sea, we provide an overview of the mobile sensor networks established with marine vehicles, and the corresponding simulation results. ..
- Han G, Jiang J, Shu L, Xu Y, Wang F. Localization algorithms of Underwater Wireless Sensor Networks: a survey. Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:2026-61 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we compare the localization algorithms in detail and analyze future research directions of localization algorithms in UWSNs. ..
- Chen C, Lee D. Energy saving effects of wireless sensor networks: a case study of convenience stores in Taiwan. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:2013-34 pubmed publisher..The convenience store group participating in this study was satisfied with the efficiency of energy conservation because of the short cost-recovery period. ..
- Daugherty S, Wahba S, Fleurence R. Patient-powered research networks: building capacity for conducting patient-centered clinical outcomes research. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2014;21:583-6 pubmed publisher..PCORnet will be the first distributed research network to bring PCOR to national scale. ..
- Vales Alonso J, López Matencio P, González Castaño F, Navarro Hellín H, Baños Guirao P, Pérez Martínez F, et al. Ambient intelligence systems for personalized sport training. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:2359-85 pubmed publisher..This method achieves a success ratio in the order of 80%. Indeed, results demonstrate that if environmental information is not take into account to derive training orders, the success ratio is reduced notably. ..
- Otal B, Alonso L, Verikoukis C. Energy-efficiency analysis of a distributed queuing medium access control protocol for biomedical wireless sensor networks in saturation conditions. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:1277-96 pubmed publisher..These benefits are obtained by eliminating back-off periods and collisions in data packet transmissions, while minimizing the control overhead. ..
- Ullah S, Shen B, Islam S, Khan P, Saleem S, Kwak K. A study of MAC protocols for WBANs. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:128-45 pubmed publisher..We also review different power-efficient mechanisms for a WBAN. In addition, useful suggestions are given to help the MAC designers to develop a low-power MAC protocol that will satisfy the stringent requirements. ..
- Fan G, Wang R, Huang H, Sun L, Sha C. Coverage-guaranteed sensor node deployment strategies for wireless sensor networks. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:2064-87 pubmed publisher..In contrast, ECD has better performance in terms of the average intrusion distance when the invasion of intruder is from the inside of monitored region. ..
- Zhang G, Hovem J, Dong H. Experimental assessment of different receiver structures for underwater acoustic communications over multipath channels. Sensors (Basel). 2012;12:2118-35 pubmed publisher..In the assessment, it is found that: (1) it is advantageous to obtain spatial gain using the adaptive multichannel combining scheme; and (2) the MP algorithm improves the performance of communications using PPC processing. ..
- Lai X, Liu Q, Wei X, Wang W, Zhou G, Han G. A survey of body sensor networks. Sensors (Basel). 2013;13:5406-47 pubmed publisher..Although there are still many problems, the future of BSNs is fundamentally promising, profoundly changing the human-machine relationships and improving the quality of people's lives. ..
- Weber G. Federated queries of clinical data repositories: the sum of the parts does not equal the whole. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013;20:e155-61 pubmed publisher..Uncertainty in the overlap of patient populations across hospitals limits the effectiveness of SHRINE and other federated query tools. Our technique reduces this uncertainty while retaining an aggregate federated architecture. ..
- Gadeo Martos M, Fernandez Prieto J, Canada Bago J, Velasco J. An architecture for performance optimization in a collaborative knowledge-based approach for wireless sensor networks. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:9136-59 pubmed publisher..The results show that the architecture presented in this paper significantly decreases the consumption of resources (memory, CPU and battery) without a substantial decrease in the accuracy of the inferred values. ..
- Kuo M, Kushniruk A, Borycki E. Design and implementation of a health data interoperability mediator. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;155:101-7 pubmed..A routine admission notification data exchange scenario is used to test the efficiency and feasibility of the proposed mediator. The study results show that the proposed mediator can make health information exchange more efficient. ..
- Bergmann J, Bott O, Pretschner D, Haux R. An e-consent-based shared EHR system architecture for integrated healthcare networks. Int J Med Inform. 2007;76:130-6 pubmed..The paradigm shift from paper-based messaging to a "pull model" needs further evaluation. ..
- Li C, Zhang H, Hao B, Li J. A survey on routing protocols for large-scale wireless sensor networks. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:3498-526 pubmed publisher..Finally some open issues in routing protocol design in large-scale wireless sensor networks and conclusions are proposed. ..
- Martini M, Istepanian R, Mazzotti M, Philip N. A cross-layer approach for wireless medical video streaming in robotic teleultrasonography. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2007;2007:3082-5 pubmed..Simulation results of the proposed system demonstrate the successful performance of the proposed controller structures in this advanced mobile telemedical environment. ..
- Curtis D, Pino E, Bailey J, Shih E, Waterman J, Vinterbo S, et al. SMART--an integrated wireless system for monitoring unattended patients. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2008;15:44-53 pubmed..A prototype implementation of SMART was piloted in the waiting area of an emergency department and evaluated with 145 post-triage patients. System deployment aspects were also evaluated during a small-scale disaster-drill exercise. ..
- Prior F, Erickson B, Tarbox L. Open source software projects of the caBIG In Vivo Imaging Workspace Software special interest group. J Digit Imaging. 2007;20 Suppl 1:94-100 pubmed..Through these and future efforts, the caBIG In Vivo Imaging Workspace Software SIG endeavors to advance imaging informatics and provide new open-source software tools to advance cancer research. ..
- McMurry A, Gilbert C, Reis B, Chueh H, Kohane I, Mandl K. A self-scaling, distributed information architecture for public health, research, and clinical care. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2007;14:527-33 pubmed
- Finn R, Stalker J, Jackson D, Kulesha E, Clements J, Pettett R. ProServer: a simple, extensible Perl DAS server. Bioinformatics. 2007;23:1568-70 pubmed..ProServer can be downloaded from http://www.sanger.ac.uk/proserver/ or CPAN http://search.cpan.org/~rpettett/. Details on the system requirements and installation of ProServer can be found at http://www.sanger.ac.uk/proserver/. ..
- Hu F, Jiang M, Wagner M, Dong D. Privacy-preserving telecardiology sensor networks: toward a low-cost portable wireless hardware/software codesign. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2007;11:619-27 pubmed..S. Department of Health and Human Services. This research also designs a medical security scheme with low communication overhead to achieve confidential electrocardiogram data transmission in wireless medium. ..
- Yamamoto H, Hyodo K, Wakamiya N, Murata M. A reaction-diffusion-based coding rate control mechanism for camera sensor networks. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:7651-73 pubmed publisher..e., reaction-diffusion model, inspired by the similarity of biological spatial patterns and the spatial distribution of video coding rate. Through simulation and practical experiments, we verify the effectiveness of our proposal. ..
- Chen J, Salim M, Matsumoto M. Modeling the energy performance of event-driven wireless sensor network by using static sink and mobile sink. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:10876-95 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we demonstrate that our results are robust to realistic sensing models and also validate the correctness of our results through extensive simulations. ..
- Bueno G, Deniz O, Salido J, Rojo M. Image processing methods and architectures in diagnostic pathology. Folia Histochem Cytobiol. 2009;47:691-7 pubmed publisher..It has shown to be a successful solution to analyze a big and heterogeneous group of histological images under architecture of massively parallel processors using message passing and non-shared memory. ..
- Zhang Y, Xiao H. Bluetooth-based sensor networks for remotely monitoring the physiological signals of a patient. IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2009;13:1040-8 pubmed publisher..It also presents our approach to developing the intelligent physiological sensor nodes involving integration of Bluetooth radio technology, hardware and software organization, and our solutions for onboard signal processing. ..
- Syed Abdul S, Scholl J, Lee P, Jian W, Liou D, Li Y. Study on the potential for delay tolerant networks by health workers in low resource settings. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2012;107:557-64 pubmed publisher..Efforts to enhance awareness among stakeholders about how DTN can be used to support health services should be worthwhile. ..
- Chen C, Chen S, Huang H, Luo C. An asynchronous multi-sensor micro control unit for wireless body sensor networks (WBSNs). Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:7022-36 pubmed publisher..13-?m CMOS process. Compared with the previous techniques, this work offers higher performance, more functions, and lower hardware cost than other micro controller designs. ..
- Weng Y, Xiao W, Xie L. Diffusion-based EM algorithm for distributed estimation of Gaussian mixtures in wireless sensor networks. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:6297-316 pubmed publisher..In addition, we show that the proposed approach can be considered as a stochastic approximation method to find the maximum likelihood estimation for Gaussian mixtures. Simulation results show the efficiency of this approach. ..
- Gel Moreno B, Jenkinson A, Jimenez R, Messeguer Peypoch X, Hermjakob H. easyDAS: automatic creation of DAS servers. BMC Bioinformatics. 2011;12:23 pubmed publisher..easyDAS is an automated DAS source creation system which can help many researchers in sharing their biological data, potentially increasing the amount of relevant biological data available to the scientific community. ..
- Rosenthal A, Mork P, Li M, Stanford J, Koester D, Reynolds P. Cloud computing: a new business paradigm for biomedical information sharing. J Biomed Inform. 2010;43:342-53 pubmed publisher..We often find a rough parity (in principle), but one needs to examine individual acquisitions--is a loosely managed lab moving to a well managed cloud, or a tightly managed hospital data center moving to a poorly safeguarded cloud? ..
- Sood S, Mbarika V, Jugoo S, Dookhy R, Doarn C, Prakash N, et al. What is telemedicine? A collection of 104 peer-reviewed perspectives and theoretical underpinnings. Telemed J E Health. 2007;13:573-90 pubmed..We expect that this study will enhance the level of understanding and meaning of telemedicine among stakeholders, new entrants, and researchers, eventually enabling a better quality of life. ..
- ..We suggest that the Chinese government needs to make a policy in favour of rural people and invest more in telemedicine, so that they can enjoy low-cost telemedicine services and foster a large telemedicine market. ..
- Lundin M, Szymas J, Linder E, Beck H, de Wilde P, Van Krieken H, et al. A European network for virtual microscopy--design, implementation and evaluation of performance. Virchows Arch. 2009;454:421-9 pubmed publisher..Our study shows that implementing a virtual microscopy network spanning a large geographical area is technically feasible. By utilizing existing academic networks and cost-minimizing image compression, it is also economically feasible. ..
- Keator D. Management of information in distributed biomedical collaboratories. Methods Mol Biol. 2009;569:1-23 pubmed publisher..The chapter introduces some existing databases, distributed file systems, and interchange languages used within the biomedical research and clinical communities for scientific data management and exchange. ..
- Garcia Sanchez A, Garcia Sanchez F, Losilla F, Kulakowski P, Garcia Haro J, Rodriguez A, et al. Wireless Sensor Network deployment for monitoring wildlife passages. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:7236-62 pubmed publisher..Original software modules providing new functionalities have been implemented and included in this prototype. Finally, main performance evaluation results of the whole system are presented and discussed in depth. ..
- Varela G, Paz Lopez A, Becerra J, Vazquez Rodriguez S, Duro R. UniDA: uniform device access framework for human interaction environments. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:9361-92 pubmed publisher..A series of use case examples and a comparison to many of the existing technologies in the field has been included in order to show the benefits of using UniDA. ..
- Huang P, Chen J, Larosa Y, Chiang T. Estimation of distributed Fermat-point location for wireless sensor networking. Sensors (Basel). 2011;11:4358-71 pubmed publisher..Simulation results revealed that the proposed algorithm for estimating sensor positions is more accurate than existing algorithms, and improves upon conventional bounding box strategies. ..
- Wootton R, McGoey S. Who shall coordinate the coordinators? Facilitating the work of telemedicine networks which provide humanitarian services. J Telemed Telecare. 2012;18:63-5 pubmed publisher..We believe that more can be achieved by the networks acting together than by them acting independently. ..
- Toh S, Platt R, Steiner J, Brown J. Comparative-effectiveness research in distributed health data networks. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2011;90:883-7 pubmed publisher..A scalable network architecture supports a wide range of CER activities and meets the data infrastructure needs envisioned by the Federal Coordinating Council for Comparative Effectiveness Research. ..