Genomes and Genes
computer assisted image processing
Summary: A technique of inputting two-dimensional images into a computer and then enhancing or analyzing the imagery into a form that is more useful to the human observer.
- Kobel M, Bechtel N, Specht K, Klarhöfer M, Weber P, Scheffler K, et al. Structural and functional imaging approaches in attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: does the temporal lobe play a key role?. Psychiatry Res. 2010;183:230-6 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we postulate that research on ADHD should broaden its scope by including the temporal lobe as a potentially important locus of abnormalities in ADHD. ..
- Martinelli F, Luiz R, Faria M, Nojima L. Anatomic variability in alveolar sites for skeletal anchorage. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010;138:252.e1-9; discussion 252-3 pubmed publisher..Placing anchorage in anterior sites requires even more careful planning, including the use of computed tomography records. ..
- Wybier M. [Lumbar epidural and foraminal injections: update]. J Radiol. 2010;91:1079-85 pubmed..The high number of cases in France could be explained by the exclusive use of prednisolone acetate which has a higher rate of macro-aggregate formation that could lead to embolization in medullary arteries. ..
- Sutton J, Joanisse M, Newcombe N. Spinning in the scanner: neural correlates of virtual reorientation. J Exp Psychol Learn Mem Cogn. 2010;36:1097-107 pubmed publisher..These results provide neural evidence for processing differences between the 2 types of cue as well as insight into developmental and comparative aspects of reorientation. ..
- Sexton C, Mackay C, Lonie J, Bastin M, Terriere E, O Carroll R, et al. MRI correlates of episodic memory in Alzheimer's disease, mild cognitive impairment, and healthy aging. Psychiatry Res. 2010;184:57-62 pubmed publisher..However, the pattern of diffusivity differences in AD and MCI implies a more complex pathology than simply Wallerian degeneration. ..
- Barnea Goraly N, Lotspeich L, Reiss A. Similar white matter aberrations in children with autism and their unaffected siblings: a diffusion tensor imaging study using tract-based spatial statistics. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010;67:1052-60 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that white matter structure may represent a marker of genetic risk for autism or vulnerability to development of this disorder. ..
- Smith R. Creating well-fitting restorations with a digital impression system. Compend Contin Educ Dent. 2010;31:640-4 pubmed..While still a relatively new technology, statistics show that restorations created with digital impressions result in better fit, faster seating, and fewer remakes. ..
- Alim U, Moller T, Condat L. Gradient estimation revitalized. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph. 2010;16:1495-504 pubmed publisher..Our results rival those obtained from other competitive gradient estimation methods while incurring no additional computational or storage overhead. ..
- Law M, Schafers K, Kopka K, Wagner S, Schober O, Schäfers M. Molecular imaging of cardiac sympathetic innervation by 11C-mHED and PET: from man to mouse?. J Nucl Med. 2010;51:1269-76 pubmed publisher..The present study assesses the feasibility of using [N-methyl-(11)C]meta-hydroxyephedrine ((11)C-mHED) to measure norepinephrine reuptake in humans, to determine cardiac innervation in mice...
- Ibarretxe Bilbao N, Junque C, Marti M, Valldeoriola F, Vendrell P, Bargallo N, et al. Olfactory impairment in Parkinson's disease and white matter abnormalities in central olfactory areas: A voxel-based diffusion tensor imaging study. Mov Disord. 2010;25:1888-94 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates, for the first time, that microstructural WM reductions are present in the central olfactory system of early stage PD patients and that these reductions are associated with reduced ability to smell. ..
- Jung R, Caprihan A, Chavez R, Flores R, Sharrar J, Qualls C, et al. Diffusion tensor imaging in neuropsychiatric systemic lupus erythematosus. BMC Neurol. 2010;10:65 pubmed publisher..Several possible mechanisms of white matter injury are explored, including vascular injury, medication effects, and platelet or fibrin macro- or microembolism from Libman-Sacks endocarditis. ..
- Lu Y, Yu H, Cao G, Zhao J, Wang G, Zhou O. Multibeam field emission x-ray system with half-scan reconstruction algorithm. Med Phys. 2010;37:3773-81 pubmed..The MBFEX technique offers an opportunity for the innovation of multisource imaging system. ..
- Song Z, Chung C. Determining both surface position and orientation in structured-light-based sensing. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 2010;32:1770-80 pubmed publisher..Both the position and orientation profiles can be determined with only a single pattern illumination and a single image capture. ..
- Jia Z, Huang X, Wu Q, Zhang T, Lui S, Zhang J, et al. High-field magnetic resonance imaging of suicidality in patients with major depressive disorder. Am J Psychiatry. 2010;167:1381-90 pubmed publisher..Longitudinal studies are required to validate this as a potential marker that may inform the development of strategies for reducing suicide. ..
- Aldinucci A, Rizzetto L, Pieri L, Nosi D, Romagnoli P, Biagioli T, et al. Inhibition of immune synapse by altered dendritic cell actin distribution: a new pathway of mesenchymal stem cell immune regulation. J Immunol. 2010;185:5102-10 pubmed publisher..The transcriptional program induced by MSC-DC direct interaction supports at the molecular pathway level the phenotypical features observed, indicating the genes involved into contact-induced rearrangement of DC cytoskeleton. ..
- Roselli F, Pisciotta N, Pennelli M, Aniello M, Gigante A, De Caro M, et al. Midbrain SERT in degenerative parkinsonisms: a 123I-FP-CIT SPECT study. Mov Disord. 2010;25:1853-9 pubmed publisher..SERT-dependent (123)I-FP-CIT uptake may allow a more comprehensive assessment of neurochemical disturbances in degenerative parkinsonisms and may have a value for differential diagnosis. ..
- Takao H, Abe O, Hayashi N, Kabasawa H, Ohtomo K. Effects of gradient non-linearity correction and intensity non-uniformity correction in longitudinal studies using structural image evaluation using normalization of atrophy (SIENA). J Magn Reson Imaging. 2010;32:489-92 pubmed publisher..Correction for gradient nonlinearity and intensity nonuniformity reduces the variance of measured longitudinal changes in brain volumes and will improve accuracy for detecting subtle brain changes. ..
- Murata K, Liu X, Danev R, Jakana J, Schmid M, King J, et al. Zernike phase contrast cryo-electron microscopy and tomography for structure determination at nanometer and subnanometer resolutions. Structure. 2010;18:903-12 pubmed publisher..These results show quantitatively the benefits of ZPC-cryoEM and ZPC-cryoET for structural determinations of macromolecular machines at nanometer and subnanometer resolutions. ..
- Knopf A, Bert C, Heath E, Nill S, Kraus K, Richter D, et al. Special report: workshop on 4D-treatment planning in actively scanned particle therapy--recommendations, technical challenges, and future research directions. Med Phys. 2010;37:4608-14 pubmed..As a result, this article presents a summary of recommendations for the treatment of mobile targets (intrafractional changes) with actively scanned particles and a list of requirements to elaborate and apply these guidelines clinically. ..
- Takahashi M, Togao O, Obara M, van Cauteren M, Ohno Y, Doi S, et al. Ultra-short echo time (UTE) MR imaging of the lung: comparison between normal and emphysematous lungs in mutant mice. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2010;32:326-33 pubmed publisher..UTE imaging has the potential to assist detection of localized pathological destruction of lung tissue architecture in emphysema. ..
- Varlik S, Demirbaş E, Orhan M. Influence of lower facial height changes on frontal facial attractiveness and perception of treatment need by lay people. Angle Orthod. 2010;80:1159-64 pubmed publisher..Beyond +3 mm and -4 mm in females and +4 mm and -3 mm in males the difference between the scores became statistically insignificant. At +/-4 mm, more than 75% of the raters elected to have treatment. The hypothesis was rejected. ..
- Xu H, Chen C, Peng J, Tang H, Liu C, He Y, et al. Evaluation of the bioconjugation efficiency of different quantum dots as probes for immunostaining tumor-marker proteins. Appl Spectrosc. 2010;64:847-52 pubmed publisher..The results demonstrate that it is possible to maintain uniform bioconjugation efficiencies with different QD bioconjugation processes in order to obtain accurate and reliable results in biomedical analysis and cancer diagnosis. ..
- Bohn M, Diesinger P, Kaufmann R, Weiland Y, Muller P, Gunkel M, et al. Localization microscopy reveals expression-dependent parameters of chromatin nanostructure. Biophys J. 2010;99:1358-67 pubmed publisher..The observed fluctuations, including the experimental evidence for dynamic looping, are consistent with a recently proposed chromatin model. ..
- Svensson P, Blount J, Forsgren E, Amundsen T. Female ornamentation and egg carotenoids of six sympatric gobies. J Fish Biol. 2009;75:2777-87 pubmed publisher..Instead, the unusual ornamentation of G. flavescens arises from a unique combination of carotenoid-rich gonads and a highly transparent abdominal skin. ..
- Bradley G, Odell E, Raphael S, Ho J, Le L, Benchimol S, et al. Abnormal DNA content in oral epithelial dysplasia is associated with increased risk of progression to carcinoma. Br J Cancer. 2010;103:1432-42 pubmed publisher..Abnormal DNA content is a significant biomarker of a subset of OED that progress to carcinoma. ..
- Nifosì F, Toffanin T, Follador H, Zonta F, Padovan G, Pigato G, et al. Reduced right posterior hippocampal volume in women with recurrent familial pure depressive disorder. Psychiatry Res. 2010;184:23-8 pubmed publisher..Reduced volume of the right posterior hippocampus could be a structural endophenotype for recurrent depressive disorders in women. ..
- Murray M, Senjem M, Petersen R, Hollman J, Preboske G, Weigand S, et al. Functional impact of white matter hyperintensities in cognitively normal elderly subjects. Arch Neurol. 2010;67:1379-85 pubmed publisher..Parietal white matter changes were not the predominant correlate with motor speed, lending evidence to a global involvement of neural networks in gait velocity. ..
- Nicodemus K, Law A, Radulescu E, Luna A, Kolachana B, Vakkalanka R, et al. Biological validation of increased schizophrenia risk with NRG1, ERBB4, and AKT1 epistasis via functional neuroimaging in healthy controls. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2010;67:991-1001 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest complex epistatic effects implicating an NRG1 molecular pathway in cognitive brain function and the pathogenesis of schizophrenia. ..
- Gu Y, Pratx G, Lau F, Levin C. Effects of multiple-interaction photon events in a high-resolution PET system that uses 3-D positioning detectors. Med Phys. 2010;37:5494-508 pubmed..Furthermore, acquiring MIPEs can enhance system photon sensitivity and improve PET image CNR and CRC. The system under development can therefore competently acquire and analyze MIPEs and produce high-resolution PET images. ..
- Vandendries C, Julles M, Boulay Coletta I, Loriau J, Zins M. Diagnosis of colonic volvulus: findings on multidetector CT with three-dimensional reconstructions. Br J Radiol. 2010;83:983-90 pubmed publisher..As MDCT allows the precise diagnosis of topography, mechanism and severity, this technique can provide an accurate assessment of large bowel volvulus. ..
- Damstra J, Huddleston Slater J, Fourie Z, Ren Y. Reliability and the smallest detectable differences of lateral cephalometric measurements. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010;138:546.e1-8; discussion 546-7 pubmed publisher..Depending on the magnitude of clinical significance, the measuring error was possibly clinically significant for all variables tested and, therefore, questions the use of these variables to detect the true treatment effect. ..
- Goudail F. Comparison of maximal achievable contrast in scalar, Stokes, and Mueller images. Opt Lett. 2010;35:2600-2 pubmed publisher..These modalities require, respectively, 1, 4, and 16 intensity measurements to form the polarimetric image. We show that the technique that leads to the best contrast is the scalar one, which requires only one optimized measurement. ..
- Karaszewski B, Thomas R, Chappell F, Armitage P, Carpenter T, Lymer G, et al. Brain choline concentration. Early quantitative marker of ischemia and infarct expansion?. Neurology. 2010;75:850-6 pubmed publisher..The degree of elevation was associated with the amount of infarct expansion. (1)H MRS might identify DTI-normal-appearing tissue at risk of conversion to infarction in early stroke. ..
- Aanhaanen W, Mommersteeg M, Norden J, Wakker V, de Gier de Vries C, Anderson R, et al. Developmental origin, growth, and three-dimensional architecture of the atrioventricular conduction axis of the mouse heart. Circ Res. 2010;107:728-36 pubmed publisher..The atrial part proliferates from the embryonic atrioventricular canal, along with myocytes derived from the developing atrial septum. The atrioventricular bundle and lower nodal cells are derived from ventricular myocardium. ..
- Pinto Pereira S, Hipwell J, McCormack V, Tanner C, Moss S, Wilkinson L, et al. Automated registration of diagnostic to prediagnostic x-ray mammograms: evaluation and comparison to radiologists' accuracy. Med Phys. 2010;37:4530-9 pubmed..More advanced two-dimensional nonrigid registration algorithms were incapable of increasing the accuracy of image alignment when compared to affine registration. ..
- Bonnet M, Allard M, Dilharreguy B, Deloire M, Petry K, Brochet B. Cognitive compensation failure in multiple sclerosis. Neurology. 2010;75:1241-8 pubmed publisher..Recurrent mobilization of cortical regions could explain the limiting effect of the cognitive load on the cognitive compensatory phenomena in patients with MS. ..
- Nielsen P, Lindebjerg J, Rasmussen J, Starklint H, Waldstrøm M, Nielsen B. Virtual microscopy: an evaluation of its validity and diagnostic performance in routine histologic diagnosis of skin tumors. Hum Pathol. 2010;41:1770-6 pubmed publisher..Larger studies should be conducted to verify whether virtual microscopy can replace conventional microscopy in routine practice. ..
- Wachter D, Psychogios M, Knauth M, Rohde V. IvACT after aneurysm clipping as an alternative to digital subtraction angiography--first experiences. Cent Eur Neurosurg. 2010;71:121-5 pubmed publisher..The quality of ivACT generated images seems to be sufficient in the detection of residual aneurysms after clipping. In cases with inconclusive results, postoperative DSA should be performed to obtain further details. ..
- Baron S, Eilers H, Munske B, Toennies J, Balachandran R, Labadie R, et al. Percutaneous inner-ear access via an image-guided industrial robot system. Proc Inst Mech Eng H. 2010;224:633-49 pubmed..Lastly, the authors present the results of two phantom validation experiments simulating the use of image-guided robots in inner-ear surgeries such as cochlear implantation and petrous apex access. ..
- Sadaghiani S, Scheeringa R, Lehongre K, Morillon B, Giraud A, Kleinschmidt A. Intrinsic connectivity networks, alpha oscillations, and tonic alertness: a simultaneous electroencephalography/functional magnetic resonance imaging study. J Neurosci. 2010;30:10243-50 pubmed publisher..Attention is mediated by activity in other systems, e.g., the dorsal attention network for space, selectively disrupts alertness-related suppression and hence manifests as local attenuation of alpha activity. ..
- Larson K, Yousuf A, Lewicky Gaupp C, Fenner D, Delancey J. Perineal body anatomy in living women: 3-dimensional analysis using thin-slice magnetic resonance imaging. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2010;203:494.e15-21 pubmed publisher..Advances in MR technology allow visualization of perineal body anatomy in living women and development of 3-D models that enhance our understanding of its 3 different regions: superficial, mid, and deep. ..
- Schlemmer H. [Multiparametric MRI of the prostate: method for early detection of prostate cancer?]. Rofo. 2010;182:1067-75 pubmed publisher..The method may considerably contribute to the urgently required separation of clinically significant from clinically insignificant prostate cancers. ..
- Wang Y, Liu J, Tang X. Robust 3D face recognition by local shape difference boosting. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell. 2010;32:1858-70 pubmed publisher..Each recognition against a gallery with 1,000 faces only takes about 3.6 seconds. These experimental results demonstrate that our algorithm is not only effective but also time efficient. ..
- Andreatta R, Stemple J, Joshi A, Jiang Y. Task-related differences in temporo-parietal cortical activation during human phonatory behaviors. Neurosci Lett. 2010;484:51-5 pubmed publisher..Our finding that covert production instead of overt voicing resulted in the greatest activity in TP is consistent with recent reports demonstrating TP activation related to temporal ordering judgments and task-dependent memory use. ..
- Patel S, Kanagasingam S, Mannocci F. Cone beam computed tomography (CBCT) in endodontics. Dent Update. 2010;37:373-9 pubmed..There are potential indications for the use of CBCT in diagnosis and treatment planning. ..
- Poosti M, Ramezanzadeh B, Salehi T, Rashed R. Retrospective evaluation of facial soft tissue cephalometric parameters in adolescents with normal occlusion. Int J Orthod Milwaukee. 2010;21:15-8 pubmed..We establish lateral cephalometric facial soft tissue norms in adolescent boys and girls with normal occlusion in Mashhad in the northeast of Iran, and compare them with those of other societies. ..
- Bergner F, Berkus T, Oelhafen M, Kunz P, Pa T, Grimmer R, et al. An investigation of 4D cone-beam CT algorithms for slowly rotating scanners. Med Phys. 2010;37:5044-53 pubmed..e., without total variation minimization, is a desirable property for reconstruction algorithms. Fast, iterative approaches such as the MKB can therefore be seen as a suitable tradeoff. ..
- Woo S, Yoon K, Moon Y, Lee J, Park H, Kim T, et al. High speed receiver for capsule endoscope. J Med Syst. 2010;34:843-7 pubmed publisher..In order to decode the under-sampled data in real time, a simple frequency detection algorithm was selected and was implemented by using a FPGA. The implemented system could receive 20 Mbps data. ..
- Li W, Howard J, Gottfried J. Disruption of odour quality coding in piriform cortex mediates olfactory deficits in Alzheimer's disease. Brain. 2010;133:2714-26 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, as a putative lesion model of odour quality processing in the human brain, our study suggests a causal role of posterior piriform cortex in differentiating olfactory objects. ..
- Chebrolu V, Yu H, Pineda A, McKenzie C, Brittain J, Reeder S. Noise analysis for 3-point chemical shift-based water-fat separation with spectral modeling of fat. J Magn Reson Imaging. 2010;32:493-500 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the optimal echo spacing commonly used for single fat peak models is adequate for most applications that use spectral modeling of fat. ..
- Kudomi S, Ueda Y, Ueda K, Ichikawa K. [Evaluation of image quality of multiplanar reconstruction images: Effect of Z-increment of original axial images]. Nihon Hoshasen Gijutsu Gakkai Zasshi. 2010;66:690-1 pubmed..CLINICAL RELEVANCE/APPLICATION: Using 0.5 mm z-increment of original axial images for generating MPRs is effective for reducing the data volume, reconstruction time and transfer time without reducing image quality. ..
- Ludtke S. 3-D structures of macromolecules using single-particle analysis in EMAN. Methods Mol Biol. 2010;673:157-73 pubmed publisher..EMAN is one of the easier to master software suites for single-particle analysis. This protocol explains how to perform an initial low-resolution reconstruction using EMAN. ..
- Hsu D, Langenecker S, Kennedy S, Zubieta J, Heitzeg M. fMRI BOLD responses to negative stimuli in the prefrontal cortex are dependent on levels of recent negative life stress in major depressive disorder. Psychiatry Res. 2010;183:202-8 pubmed publisher..The severity of recent negative life stressors is an important modifier of neurobiological and cognitive function in MDD and may help explain heterogeneity in the disorder. ..
- Ament M, Weiskopf D, Carr H. Direct interval volume visualization. IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph. 2010;16:1505-14 pubmed publisher..Our algorithm is suitable for efficient parallel processing for interactive applications as demonstrated by our CUDA implementation. ..
- Siddique D, Hyare H, Wroe S, Webb T, Macfarlane R, Rudge P, et al. Magnetization transfer ratio may be a surrogate of spongiform change in human prion diseases. Brain. 2010;133:3058-68 pubmed publisher..The magnetic resonance imaging measurement of magnetization transfer ratios may be an in vivo surrogate for spongiform change and has potential utility as a therapeutic biomarker in human prion disease. ..