- DNA barcoding: error rates based on comprehensive sampling
Christopher P Meyer
Florida Museum of Natural History, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA
PLoS Biol 3:e422. 2005
..However, the use of thresholds does not bode well for delineating closely related species in taxonomically understudied groups. The promise of barcoding will be realized only if based on solid taxonomic foundations...
- Identification of Birds through DNA Barcodes
Paul D N Hebert
Department of Zoology, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada
PLoS Biol 2:e312. 2004
..The growing evidence for the effectiveness of DNA barcodes as a basis for species identification supports an international exercise that has recently begun to assemble a comprehensive library of COI sequences linked to named specimens...
- DNA barcoding Australia's fish species
Robert D Ward
CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research, GPO Box 1538, Hobart, Tasmania 7001, Australia
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1847-57. 2005
..We conclude that cox1 sequencing, or 'barcoding', can be used to identify fish species...
- DNA barcodes for 1/1000 of the animal kingdom
Paul D N Hebert
Biodiversity Institute of Ontario, University of Guelph, Guelph, Ontario, Canada, N1G 2W1
Biol Lett 6:359-62. 2010
..As most terrestrial and marine taxa are likely to possess a similar pattern of population structure, an effective DNA-based identification system can be developed with modest effort...
- DNA barcodes for biosecurity: invasive species identification
K F Armstrong
National Centre for Advanced Bio Protection Technologies, PO Box 84, Lincoln University, Canterbury, New Zealand
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1813-23. 2005
..This approach is a realistic platform on which to build a much more flexible system, with the potential to be adopted globally for the rapid and accurate identification of invasive alien species...
- MS1, MS2, and SQT-three unified, compact, and easily parsed file formats for the storage of shotgun proteomic spectra and identifications
W Hayes McDonald
Department of Cell Biology, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA, USA
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 18:2162-8. 2004
- Use of DNA barcodes to identify flowering plants
W John Kress
Department of Botany and Laboratories of Analytical Biology, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, P O Box 37012, Washington, DC 20013 7012
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:8369-74. 2005
- A two-locus global DNA barcode for land plants: the coding rbcL gene complements the non-coding trnH-psbA spacer region
W John Kress
Department of Botany, National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e508. 2007
..This low rate has complicated the trade-off in finding a locus that is universal and readily sequenced and has sufficiently high sequence divergence at the species-level...
- Increasing supplemental nutrition assistance program/electronic benefits transfer sales at farmers' markets with vendor-operated wireless point-of-sale terminals
Alison M Buttenheim
University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, 418 Curie Blvd, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
J Acad Nutr Diet 112:636-41. 2012
..It is not known whether providing each farmer/vendor with individual wireless POS terminals and subsidizing EBT fees will increase SNAP/EBT purchases at farmers' markets...
- Validation of the ITS2 region as a novel DNA barcode for identifying medicinal plant species
Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, People s Republic of China
PLoS ONE 5:e8613. 2010
..The group admits that the two-locus barcode is far from perfect due to the low identification rate, and the search is not over...
- mProphet: automated data processing and statistical validation for large-scale SRM experiments
Biognosys AG, Zurich, Switzerland
Nat Methods 8:430-5. 2011
- Identification of Amazonian trees with DNA barcodes
Mailyn Adriana Gonzalez
Laboratoire Evolution et Diversité Biologique, Université Paul Sabatier and CNRS, UMR 5174, Toulouse, France
PLoS ONE 4:e7483. 2009
..Large-scale plant diversity inventories are critical to develop informed conservation strategies. However, the workload required for classic taxonomic surveys remains high and is particularly problematic for megadiverse tropical forests...
- Challenges of automated screening and differentiation of non-organ specific autoantibodies on HEp-2 cells
Department of Biology, Chemistry and Process Technology, Lausitz University of Applied Sciences, Senftenberg, Germany
Autoimmun Rev 9:17-22. 2009
..More sophisticated pattern recognition algorithms and novel calibration systems will improve standardised quantifications of IIF image interpretation...
- The promise of a DNA taxonomy
Mark L Blaxter
Institute of Cell, Animal and Population Biology, University of Edinburgh, King s Buildings, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 359:669-79. 2004
..Previous molecular taxonomic efforts have focused narrowly. Advances in high-throughput sequencing methodologies, however, place the idea of a universal, multi-locus molecular barcoding system in the realm of the possible...
- Four-chamber heart modeling and automatic segmentation for 3-D cardiac CT volumes using marginal space learning and steerable features
Integrated Data Systems Department, Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton, NJ 08540, USA
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 27:1668-81. 2008
..To the best of our knowledge, our system is the fastest with a speed of 4.0 s per volume (on a dual-core 3.2-GHz processor) for the automatic segmentation of all four chambers...
- Wedding biodiversity inventory of a large and complex Lepidoptera fauna with DNA barcoding
Daniel H Janzen
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1835-45. 2005
- jmzReader: A Java parser library to process and visualize multiple text and XML-based mass spectrometry data formats
EMBL European Bioinformatics Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge, UK
Proteomics 12:795-8. 2012
..The library (which includes a viewer) is open source and, together with detailed documentation, can be downloaded from http://code.google.com/p/jmzreader/...
- Automatic analysis of single-channel sleep EEG: validation in healthy individuals
PHYSIP SA, Paris, France
Sleep 30:1587-95. 2007
..To assess the performance of automatic sleep scoring software (ASEEGA) based on a single EEG channel comparatively with manual scoring (2 experts) of conventional full polysomnograms...
- Quantitative phenotyping via deep barcode sequencing
Andrew M Smith
Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Genome Res 19:1836-42. 2009
..Together, this new assay and analysis routine provide a deep-sequencing-based toolkit for identifying gene-environment interactions on a genome-wide scale...
- Quantifying data quality for clinical trials using electronic data capture
Meredith L Nahm
Duke Translational Medicine Institute, Durham, North Carolina, United States of America
PLoS ONE 3:e3049. 2008
..Electronic Data Capture (EDC) technology has had a further impact, as paper CRFs typically leveraged for quality measurement are not used in EDC processes...
- Four years of DNA barcoding: current advances and prospects
Laboratoire de Biologie Intégrative des Populations, Ecole Pratique des Hautes Etudes, Paris, France
Infect Genet Evol 8:727-36. 2008
..The initially proposed Barcode of life framework has greatly evolved, giving rise to a flexible description of DNA barcoding and a larger range of applications...
- BioMagResBank database with sets of experimental NMR constraints corresponding to the structures of over 1400 biomolecules deposited in the Protein Data Bank
Jurgen F Doreleijers
BioMagResBank, Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, 433 Babcock Drive, Madison, WI 53706, U S A
J Biomol NMR 26:139-46. 2003
..The results serve as a model for the development of standards for NMR constraint deposition in computer-readable form. The constraints are updated regularly and are available from the BMRB web site (http://www.bmrb.wisc.edu)...
- DNA barcoding in the cycadales: testing the potential of proposed barcoding markers for species identification of cycads
Department of Plant and Microbial Biology, University of California at Berkeley, Berkeley, California, United States of America
PLoS ONE 2:e1154. 2007
..We suggest a workflow for DNA barcoding, including database generation and management, which will ultimately be necessary if we are to succeed in establishing a universal DNA barcode for plants...
- A comparison of error detection rates between the reading aloud method and the double data entry method
Department of Hygiene, Fujita Health University School of Medicine, Toyoake City, Aichi, Japan
Control Clin Trials 24:560-9. 2003
..The total expended times were 74.8 hours for the DDE method and 57.9 hours for the RA method. These results suggest that in detecting errors of single data entry, the RA method is inferior to the DDE method, while its time cost is lower...
- Doublet method for very fast autocoding
Jules J Berman
Cancer Diagnosis Program, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 4:16. 2004
..The purpose of this paper is to describe the doublet method, a new algorithm for very fast autocoding...
- Automated structure determination from NMR spectra
Institute of Biophysical Chemistry, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, Max von Laue Str 9, 60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Eur Biophys J 38:129-43. 2009
- Enhancing surveillance for hepatitis C through public health informatics
Dawn M Heisey-Grove
Massachusetts Department of Public Health, Bureau of Infectious Disease Prevention, Response and Services, William A Hinton State Laboratory Institute, 305 South St, Jamaica Plain, MA 02130, USA
Public Health Rep 126:13-8. 2011
..These changes have resulted in an increase in the timeliness of reporting...
- jTraML: an open source Java API for TraML, the PSI standard for sharing SRM transitions
Department of Medical Protein Research, VIB, Ghent, Belgium
J Proteome Res 10:5260-3. 2011
..The library is released as open source under the permissive Apache2 license and can be downloaded from http://jtraml.googlecode.com . TraML files can also be converted online at http://iomics.ugent.be/jtraml ...
- DNA barcoding and the renaissance of taxonomy
Scott E Miller
Office of the Under Secretary for Science, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC 20013 7012, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:4775-6. 2007
- Data analysis and bioinformatics tools for tandem mass spectrometry in proteomics
Eric W Deutsch
Institute for Systems Biology, Seattle, Washington 98103, USA
Physiol Genomics 33:18-25. 2008
..In this review, we provide an overview of the general analysis approaches, software tools, and repositories that are enabling successful proteomics research via tandem mass spectrometry...
- Species discovery versus species identification in DNA barcoding efforts: response to Rubinoff
Division of Invertebrates, American Museum of Natural History, New York, NY 10024, USA
Conserv Biol 20:1545-7. 2006
- Deciphering amphibian diversity through DNA barcoding: chances and challenges
Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics, Zoological Museum, University of Amsterdam, Mauritskade 61, 1092 AD Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1859-68. 2005
..We suggest that a number of mitochondrial and nuclear genes may be used as DNA barcoding markers to complement cox1...
- Applying DNA barcoding to red macroalgae: a preliminary appraisal holds promise for future applications
Gary W Saunders
Centre for Environmental and Molecular Algal Research, Department of Biology, University of New Brunswick Fredericton, NB, Canada E3B 6E1
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1879-88. 2005
..In all cases the DNA barcode resolved accurately and unequivocally species identities and, with the enhanced sampling here, turned up a variety of novel observations in need of further taxonomic investigation...
- Towards writing the encyclopedia of life: an introduction to DNA barcoding
Jodrell Laboratory, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 3DS, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1805-11. 2005
..g. cox1 = CO1, in animals), (iii) promoting development of handheld DNA sequencing technology that can be applied in the field for biodiversity inventories and (iv) providing insight into the diversity of life...
- Land plants and DNA barcodes: short-term and long-term goals
Mark W Chase
Jodrell Laboratory, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew Richmond, Surrey TW9 3DS, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1889-95. 2005
- A comparison of the completeness and timeliness of automated electronic laboratory reporting and spontaneous reporting of notifiable conditions
J Marc Overhage
Regenstrief Institute, 410 W 10th St, Suite 2000, Indianapolis, IN 46202 3012, USA
Am J Public Health 98:344-50. 2008
..We examined whether automated electronic laboratory reporting of notifiable-diseases results in information being delivered to public health departments more completely and quickly than is the case with spontaneous, paper-based reporting...
- DNA barcoding: promise and pitfalls
PLoS Biol 2:e354. 2004
- Automated cell lineage tracing in Caenorhabditis elegans
Department of Genome Sciences, University of Washington, WA 98195, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:2707-12. 2006
..We envision that this automation will make it practical to systematically decipher the developmental genes and pathways encoded in the genome of C. elegans...
- Slow mitochondrial COI sequence evolution at the base of the metazoan tree and its implications for DNA barcoding
Department of Biological Sciences, National University of Singapore, 14 Science Drive 4, Singapore 117543, Singapore
J Mol Evol 66:167-74. 2008
..Caution is also advised for Porifera and Hydrozoa because of relatively low identification success rates as even threshold divergence that maximizes the "barcoding gap" does not improve identification success...
- DNA barcoding a useful tool for taxonomists
David E Schindel
Nature 435:17. 2005
- A public-domain image processing tool for automated quantification of fluorescence in situ hybridisation signals
Biomedical Informatics Research Group, Department of Oncology, University of Helsinki, Helsinki, Finland
J Clin Pathol 61:278-82. 2008
..To develop and evaluate an automated method for quantification of HER2 fluorescence in situ hybridisation (FISH) signals...
- Identification of genetic variants using bar-coded multiplexed sequencing
David W Craig
The Translational Genomics Research Institute, Phoenix, Arizona 85004, USA
Nat Methods 5:887-93. 2008
..These results suggest that >90% of genetic variants are discoverable using multiplexed sequencing provided sufficient coverage at the polymorphic base...
- DNA barcoding is no substitute for taxonomy
Malte C Ebach
Nature 434:697. 2005
- DNA barcoding does not compete with taxonomy
T Ryan Gregory
Nature 434:1067. 2005
- Electronic data collection options for practice-based research networks
Wilson D Pace
Department of Family Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, Colorado, USA
Ann Fam Med 3:S21-9. 2005
..We wanted to describe the potential benefits and problems associated with selected electronic methods of collecting data within practice-based research networks (PBRNs)...
- How many loci does it take to DNA barcode a crocus?
Laboratory of Molecular Systematics, Natural History Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen, Denmark
PLoS ONE 4:e4598. 2009
..Most tests have been made in a floristic setting, where the genetic distance and therefore the level of variation of the regions between taxa is large, or in a limited set of congeneric species...
- Microcoding: the second step in DNA barcoding
R C Summerbell
CBS Fungal Biodiversity Centre, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1897-903. 2005
..Arrays and functionally similar platforms may have a particular advantage when a biologically complex material such as soil or a human respiratory secretion sample is analysed to give a census of relevant species present...
- DNA barcoding for effective biodiversity assessment of a hyperdiverse arthropod group: the ants of Madagascar
M Alex Smith
Barcode of Life Initiative, Biodiversity Institute of Ontario, Department of Integrative Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada N1G 2W1
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1825-34. 2005
..Such high divergences highlight taxa for further detailed genetic, morphological, life history, and behavioral studies...
- Nonlinear information processing in a model sensory system
Maurice J Chacron
Department of Zoology, University of Oklahoma, 730 Van Vleet Oval, Norman, OK 73019, USA
J Neurophysiol 95:2933-46. 2006
..These results show that nonlinear decoders are necessary to fully access information in pyramidal cell spike trains, and we discuss potential mechanisms by which higher-order neurons could decode this information...
- Automatic processing of multilingual medical terminology: applications to thesaurus enrichment and cross-language information retrieval
Xerox Research Centre Europe, 6 Chemin de Maupertuis, F 38240 Meylan, France
Artif Intell Med 33:111-24. 2005
..For such applications, multilingual terminology plays a crucial role when working on specialized languages and specific domains...
- Prospective study of clinician-entered research data in the Emergency Department using an Internet-based system after the HIPAA Privacy Rule
Jeffrey A Kline
Department of Emergency Medicine, Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte, NC, USA
BMC Med Inform Decis Mak 4:17. 2004
..Design and test the reliability of a web-based system for multicenter, real-time collection of data in the emergency department (ED), under waiver of authorization, in compliance with HIPAA...
- Validity of inspiratory and expiratory methods of measuring gas exchange with a computerized system
D R Bassett
Department of Exercise Science and Sport Management, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee 37996 2700, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 91:218-24. 2001
..0004, FE(CO(2)) = -0.0003, VO(2) = -0.018 l/min). Thus a computerized system, using inspiratory or expiratory configurations, permits extremely precise measurements to be made in a less time-consuming manner than the DB technique...
- Patient-specific early seizure detection from scalp electroencephalogram
GEORGIY R MINASYAN
Chatten Associates, Inc, West Conshohocken, Pennsylvania, USA
J Clin Neurophysiol 27:163-78. 2010
..The unique results of this study relate to preonset detection. Our results suggest that reliable preonset seizure detection may be achievable for a significant subset of patients with epilepsy without use of invasive electrodes...
- Time and motion study to compare electronic and hybrid data collection systems during the pandemic (H1N1) 2009 influenza vaccination campaign
Surveillance and Epidemiology, Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion, Toronto, Canada
Vaccine 29:1997-2003. 2011
..Electronic registration and record keeping were faster than paper-based methods; these findings should be used to improve data collection for future influenza seasons...
- Electronic measurement of adherence to pediatric antiretroviral therapy in South Africa
Alexandra D Muller
Department of Medical Psychology and Medical Sociology, Georg August University Gottingen, Germany
Pediatr Infect Dis J 27:257-62. 2008
..Both assessment methods and predictors of adherence need to be examined to deliver appropriate health care to the growing patient population in resource-limited settings...
- Automated seizure onset detection for accurate onset time determination in intracranial EEG
Alexander M Chan
Harvard MIT Division of Health Sciences and Technology, Medical Engineering and Medical Physics Program, 77 Massachusetts Avenue, E25 519, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Clin Neurophysiol 119:2687-96. 2008
..A novel algorithm for automated seizure onset detection is presented. The method allows for precise identification of electrographic seizure onset times within large databases of electrographic data...
- Improving response to critical laboratory results with automation: results of a randomized controlled trial
G J Kuperman
Partners HealthCare System, Department of Information Systems, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts 02467, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 6:512-22. 1999
..To evaluate the effect of an automatic alerting system on the time until treatment is ordered for patients with critical laboratory results...
- Tight data-robust bounds to mutual information combining shuffling and model selection techniques
M A Montemurro
Neural Comput 19:2913-57. 2007
..This application shows that even in the presence of strong correlations, our methods constrain precisely the amount of information encoded by real spike trains recorded in vivo...
- Phenetic and DNA taxonomy; a comment on Waugh
Bioessays 29:1289-90. 2007
- Electronic data capture (EDC)--a new mantra for clinical trials
ClinInvent Research Private Limited, A 302 Everest Chambers, Marol Naka, Andheri Kurla Road, Andheri E, Mumbai 400 059, India
Qual Assur 10:117-21. 2003
..Finally, the article concludes emphasizing the fact that EDC is the future mantra for the clinical trials and all stake holders should face challenges of infrastructure, technology, regulations, and training to make it a success...
- BioMagResBank (BMRB) as a partner in the Worldwide Protein Data Bank (wwPDB): new policies affecting biomolecular NMR depositions
John L Markley
Department of Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin Madison, Madison, WI 53706 1544, USA
J Biomol NMR 40:153-5. 2008
..The BMRB now contains an archive of NMR data for metabolites and other small molecules found in biological systems...
- Identification of Dendrobium species by a candidate DNA barcode sequence: the chloroplast psbA-trnH intergenic region
Institute of Medicinal Plant Development, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, Beijing 100193, PR China
Planta Med 75:667-9. 2009
..5 %. Our results support the notion that the psbA-trnH intergenic spacer region could be used as a barcode to distinguish various Dendrobium species and to differentiate Dendrobium species from other adulterating species...
- Inferring species membership using DNA sequences with back-propagation neural networks
A B Zhang
Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing 100080, P R China
Syst Biol 57:202-15. 2008
..Particularly in cases involving incomplete lineage sorting, this new BP-based method appears to be superior to commonly used methods for DNA-based species identification...
- Defining operational taxonomic units using DNA barcode data
Institute of Evolutionary Biology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Edinburgh, Ashworth Laboratories, King s Buildings, Edinburgh EH9 3JT, UK
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1935-43. 2005
..Major issues remain, in particular the methodologies for taxon discrimination in DNA barcode data...
- Now is the time
Daniel H Janzen
Department of Biology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia 19104, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 359:731-2. 2004
- Standards for the terminology and labeling of cellular therapy products
J Clin Apher 22:249-57. 2007
- Terminology and labeling of cellular products: 1. Standards
International Cellular Therapy Coding and Labelling Advisory Group, Redlands, CA 92374, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 40:1075-83. 2007
..A companion paper provides guidance on the implementation of the ISBT 128 system...
- Practical applications of usability theory to electronic data collection for clinical trials
Jordana K Schmier
Exponent, 1800 Diagonal Road, Suite 300, Alexandria, VA 22314, United States
Contemp Clin Trials 26:376-85. 2005
..Lessons learned from usability testing in the unique setting of the clinical trial can be applied to other projects to decrease costs, enhance the quality of the data, and minimize time to analysis...
- Design of a national retail data monitor for public health surveillance
Michael M Wagner
The RODS Laboratory, Center for Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh, Suite 550, 100 Technology Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15219, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 10:409-18. 2003
- Standards for the terminology and labeling of cellular therapy products
International Cellular Therapy Coding and Labeling Advisory Group, Redlands, CA 92374, USA
Transfusion 47:1319-27. 2007
- ISBT 128 implementation plan for cellular therapy products
International Cellular Therapy Coding and Labeling Advisory Group, Redlands, CA 92374, USA
Transfusion 47:1312-8. 2007
- Validation of automated forms processing. A comparison of Teleform with manual data entry
C K Jørgensen
Research Unit, University of Aarhus, Denmark
Comput Biol Med 28:659-67. 1998
..AFP reduced processing time, but we found that a very large number of forms need to be processed in order to recover the initial investment. A considerable amount of time and computer expertise was required for implementation of AFP...
- Automated surveillance of health care-associated infections
Infection Control Department, Channing Laboratory, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Clin Infect Dis 48:1268-75. 2009
..The efficiency and objectivity of these methods make them promising candidates for more manageable and meaningful benchmarking within and between facilities...
- Terminology and labeling of cellular products-2: Implementation plan
International Cellular Therapy Coding and Labelling Advisory Group, Redlands, CA 92374, USA
Bone Marrow Transplant 40:1085-90. 2007
..This paper provides guidance on the practical aspects of adopting these new standards for organizations with differing current levels of computerization. It discusses project management, equipment, licensing, and validation topics...
- A patient-completed and optically read data acquisition system for clinical trials
Regional Palliative Care Program, Alberta Health Services, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Contemp Clin Trials 32:173-7. 2011
..Preliminary results from a modest study sample size support the use of optically read forms for data collection by patients and their families, requiring only a pen, paper, and fax machine at participating sites...
- Critical factors for assembling a high volume of DNA barcodes
Biodiversity Institute of Ontario, Department of Integrative Biology, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada N1G 2W1
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 360:1959-67. 2005
..Barcode analysis is already a cost-effective option for species identification in some situations and this will increasingly be the case as reference libraries are assembled and analytical protocols are simplified...
- Utilization of hierarchical, stochastic relationship modeling for Hangul character recognition
Kyung Won Kang
Department of Computer Science, KAIST, Yusong gu, Daejon, South Korea
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 26:1185-96. 2004
..Recognition experiments conducted on a public database show the effectiveness of the proposed relationship modeling. The recognition accuracy increased by 5.5 percent in comparison to the most successful system ever reported...
- Script-independent text line segmentation in freestyle handwritten documents
Language and Media Processing Laboratory, Institute for Advanced Computer Studies, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742, USA
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 30:1313-29. 2008
..Further experiments show the proposed algorithm is robust to scale change, rotation, and noise...
- A parallel-line detection algorithm based on HMM decoding
Language and Media Processing Laboratory, Institute for Advanced Computer Studies, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20742 3275, USA
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 27:777-92. 2005
..The experiments conducted on known form processing and rule line detection show our method is robust, and achieves better results than other widely used line detection methods...
- Offline recognition of unconstrained handwritten texts using HMMs and statistical language models
Dalle Molle Institute for Perceptual Artificial Intelligence, Rue du Simplon 4, 1920 Martigny, Switzerland
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 26:709-20. 2004
..Our approach is described in detail and compared with other methods presented in the literature to deal with the same problem. An experimental setup to correctly deal with unconstrained text recognition is proposed...
- An environment for complex behaviour detection in bio-potential experiments
Dipartimento di Ingegneria Elettrica, Elettronica e dei Sistemi, Universita degli Studi di Catania, Viale A Doria 6, 95125 Catania, Italy
Math Biosci Eng 5:261-76. 2008
..The environment provides a user-friendly Graphic User Interface that allows inexperienced users to perform complex analyses and to speed up experimental data processing...
- Restoring warped document images through 3D shape modeling
Chew Lim Tan
School of Computing, National University of Singapore 3, Science Drive 2, Singapore
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 28:195-208. 2006
..The results show that the geometric and photometric distortions are mostly removed and the OCR results are improved markedly...
- Hierarchically clustered adaptive quantization CMAC and its learning convergence
S D Teddy
School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore 639798, Singapore
IEEE Trans Neural Netw 18:1658-82. 2007
..Index Terms-Cerebellar model articulation controller (CMAC), hierarchical clustering, hierarchically clustered adaptive quantization CMAC (HCAQ-CMAC), learning convergence, nonuniform quantization...
- METIS: multiple extraction techniques for informative sentences
A L Mitchell
Faculty of Life Sciences and School of Computer Science, University of Manchester, UK
Bioinformatics 21:4196-7. 2005
..These reports may then be augmented with pertinent sentences extracted from online biomedical literature via support vector machine and rule-based sentence classification systems...
- A scale space approach for automatically segmenting words from historical handwritten documents
Center for Intelligent Information Retrieval, Department of Computer Science, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 140 Governors Dr, Amherst, MA 01003, USA
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 27:1212-25. 2005
..The technique outperforms a state-of-the-art gap metrics word-segmentation algorithm on this collection...
- Offline geometric parameters for automatic signature verification using fixed-point arithmetic
Miguel A Ferrer
Departamento de Señales y Comunicaciones, Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Campus de Tafira, E35017 Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Spain
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 27:993-7. 2005
..The experiments have shown promising results in the task of discriminating random and simple forgeries...
- Glove-based approach to online signature verification
Nidal S Kamel
Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department, Technical University of Petronas, Bandar Seri Iskandar, Perak, Malaysia
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 30:1109-13. 2008
..This SVD-based signature verification technique is tested and its performance is shown to be able to recognize forgery signatures with a false acceptance rate of less than 1.2%...
- Recognition and verification of unconstrained handwritten words
Alessandro L Koerich
Applied Informatics, Pontifical Catholic University of Parana, R Imaculada Conceição, 1155, Curitiba, PR, 80215 901, Brazil
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 27:1509-22. 2005
..Our approach is described in detail and the experimental results on a large database of unconstrained handwritten words extracted from postal envelopes are presented...
- Texture for script identification
School of Microelectronic Engineering, Griffith University Nathan Campus, QLD, Australia
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 27:1720-32. 2005
..Strategies for improving classification results in situations with limited training data and multiple font types are also proposed...
- Character independent font recognition on a single Chinese character
Electronics Engineering Department, Tsinghua University, Beijing, P R China
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 29:195-204. 2007
..Additionally, our method demonstrates that it is possible to extract subtle yet discriminative signals embedded in a much larger noisy background...
- Restoring 2D content from distorted documents
Michael S Brown
School of Computer Engineering, Nanyang Technological University, Blk N4, 2A 32, Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798, Republic of Singapore
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 29:1904-16. 2007
..This approach makes no assumptions about light sources and their positions. The results from the geometric and photometric correction are combined to produce the final output...
- Wearable FPGA based wireless sensor platform
Nokia Research Center, Helsinki, Finland
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2007:2288-91. 2007
..The platform has been named NWSP, for Nokia Wrist- Attached Sensor Platform. This document describes the hardware, the firmware and applications of the platform...
- Text-independent writer identification and verification using textural and allographic features
AI Institute, University of Groningen, Groningen, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 29:701-17. 2007
- Script and language identification in noisy and degraded document images
Department of Computer Science, National University of Singapore, Singapore
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 30:14-24. 2008
..Experimental results show that the proposed technique is accurate, easy for extension, and tolerant to noise and various types of document degradation...
- Wavelet-based approach to character skeleton
Department of Electronics and Information Engineering, Huazhong University of Science and Technology, Wuhan 430074, China
IEEE Trans Image Process 16:1220-31. 2007
- Globally consistent reconstruction of ripped-up documents
Department of Automatic Control, College of Mechatronics and Automation, National University of Defense Technology, People s Republic of China
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 30:1-13. 2008
..The overall performance of our approach in several practical experiments is illustrated. The results indicate that the reconstruction of ripped-up documents up to fifty pieces is possibly accomplished automatically...
- Iterative cross section sequence graph for handwritten character segmentation
IEEE Trans Image Process 16:2150-4. 2007
..Experimental results showed significant improvements in OCR recognition rates compared to other well-established segmentation algorithms...
- Autofocusing for automated microscopic evaluation of blood smear and pap smear
X Y Liu
Adv Micro and Nanosyst Lab, Toronto Univ, Ontario, Canada
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:4718-21. 2006
..Together with our previously reported findings, we hypothesize that the variance algorithm or the Normalized variance algorithm is the optimal focus algorithm for all non- fluorescence microscopy applications...
- On using the Viterbi path along with HMM likelihood information for online signature verification
Ly Van Bao
Umanis, 92301 Levallois Perret, France
IEEE Trans Syst Man Cybern B Cybern 37:1237-47. 2007
- Symbol recognition with kernel density matching
Department of Computer Science, City University of Hong Kong, Kowloon, Hong Kong
IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Mach Intell 28:2020-4. 2006
..Symbol orientation is found by gradient-based angle searching or independent component analysis. Experimental results show the outstanding performance of this approach in various situations...