Summary: Communications using an active or passive satellite to extend the range of radio, television, or other electronic transmission by returning signals to earth from an orbiting satellite.
- Nihei N, Komagata O, Kobayashi M, Saitoh Y, Mochizuki K, Nakamura S. Spatial analysis and remote sensing for monitoring systems of Oncomelania nosophora following the eradication of schistosomiasis japonica in Yamanashi Prefecture, Japan. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2009;62:125-32 pubmed
- Combreau O, Riou S, Judas J, Lawrence M, Launay F. Migratory pathways and connectivity in Asian houbara bustards: evidence from 15 years of satellite tracking. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20570 pubmed publisher..At a time when conservation measures are being implemented to safeguard the long-term future of this species, this study provides critical data on the spatial structuring of populations. ..
- Tourre Y, Lacaux J, Vignolles C, Ndione J, Lafaye M. Mapping of zones potentially occupied by Aedes vexans and Culex poicilipes mosquitoes, the main vectors of Rift Valley fever in Senegal. Geospat Health. 2008;3:69-79 pubmed..The results show the importance of pin-pointing small ponds (sizes down to 0.1 ha) and their geographical distribution in order to assess animal exposure to the RVF vectors. ..
- Paciorek C, Liu Y, Moreno Macias H, Kondragunta S. Spatiotemporal associations between GOES aerosol optical depth retrievals and ground-level PM2.5. Environ Sci Technol. 2008;42:5800-6 pubmed..Furthermore, GASP AOD has been retrieved since November 1994, providing a long-term record that predates the availability of most PM2.5 monitoring data and other satellite instruments. ..
- Jacob B, Muturi E, Mwangangi J, Funes J, Caamano E, Muriu S, et al. Remote and field level quantification of vegetation covariates for malaria mapping in three rice agro-village complexes in Central Kenya. Int J Health Geogr. 2007;6:21 pubmed..arabiensis aquatic habitats. However, combining spectral reflectance of riceland habitats from QuickBird and field sampled data can develop and implement an Integrated Vector Management (IVM) program based on larval productivity. ..
- Adimi F, Soebiyanto R, Safi N, Kiang R. Towards malaria risk prediction in Afghanistan using remote sensing. Malar J. 2010;9:125 pubmed publisher..The predictive and early warning capabilities shown in this paper support this strategy. ..
- Weng K, Stokesbury M, Boustany A, Seitz A, Teo S, Miller S, et al. Habitat and behaviour of yellowfin tuna Thunnus albacares in the Gulf of Mexico determined using pop-up satellite archival tags. J Fish Biol. 2009;74:1434-49 pubmed publisher..albacares differs from that of bigeye Thunnus obesus and bluefin Thunnus thynnus, Thunnus orientalis and Thunnus maccoyii tunas. These results are consistent with the results of earlier studies conducted on T. albacares in other oceans...
- Marechal F, Ribeiro N, Lafaye M, Guell A. Satellite imaging and vector-borne diseases: the approach of the French National Space Agency (CNES). Geospat Health. 2008;3:1-5 pubmed..In Senegal, for example, Rift Valley fever epidemics are being monitored using a predictive model based on the rate at which water holes dry out after the rainy season, which affects the number of mosquito eggs which carry the virus. ..
- Glass G, Cheek J, Patz J, Shields T, Doyle T, Thoroughman D, et al. Using remotely sensed data to identify areas at risk for hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000;6:238-47 pubmed..Repeated analysis using satellite imagery from 1995 showed substantial decrease in medium- to high-risk areas. Only one case of HPS was identified in 1996...
- Jonsen I, Myers R, James M. Robust hierarchical state-space models reveal diel variation in travel rates of migrating leatherback turtles. J Anim Ecol. 2006;75:1046-57 pubmed..4. Our approach is extremely flexible and can be applied to many ecological analyses that use complex, sequential data. ..
- Thomas C, Lindsay S. Local-scale variation in malaria infection amongst rural Gambian children estimated by satellite remote sensing. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2000;94:159-63 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate marked differences in exposure to malaria in villages over distances of less than 2 km from mosquito breeding sites and suggest that there are also large differences in immunity between neighbouring settlements. ..
- Beck L, Lobitz B, Wood B. Remote sensing and human health: new sensors and new opportunities. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000;6:217-27 pubmed
- Liu J, Chen X. Relationship of remote sensing normalized differential vegetation index to Anopheles density and malaria incidence rate. Biomed Environ Sci. 2006;19:130-2 pubmed..Minimus density was 0.730, and 0.713 with Anopheles sinensis density, and 0.800 with malarial incidence rate. Remote sensing NDVI can serve as a sensitive evaluation index of Anopheles density and malaria incidence rate. ..
- Raso G, Vounatsou P, Singer B, N Goran E, Tanner M, Utzinger J. An integrated approach for risk profiling and spatial prediction of Schistosoma mansoni-hookworm coinfection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:6934-9 pubmed..More generally, this approach facilitates risk mapping and prediction of other parasite combinations and multiparasitism, and hence can guide integrated disease control programs in resource-constrained settings...
- Zhang Z, Xu D, Zhou X, Zhou Y, Liu S. Remote sensing and spatial statistical analysis to predict the distribution of Oncomelania hupensis in the marshlands of China. Acta Trop. 2005;96:205-12 pubmed..These findings are of relevance for mapping and prediction of schistosomiasis japonica in China, and hence the national control programme. ..
- Danson F, Giraudoux P, Craig P. Spatial modelling and ecology of Echinococcus multilocularis transmission in China. Parasitol Int. 2006;55 Suppl:S227-31 pubmed..multilocularis with particular reference to China, outlines current research issues, and describes a framework for building a spatial-temporal model of transmission ecology...
- Rogers D, Randolph S, Snow R, Hay S. Satellite imagery in the study and forecast of malaria. Nature. 2002;415:710-5 pubmed..Satellite sensor data promise the development of early-warning systems for diseases such as malaria, which kills between 1 and 2 million people each year. ..
- Bonfil R, Meyer M, Scholl M, Johnson R, O Brien S, Oosthuizen H, et al. Transoceanic migration, spatial dynamics, and population linkages of white sharks. Science. 2005;310:100-3 pubmed..4 degrees C. These findings contradict previous ideas that female white sharks do not make transoceanic migrations, and they suggest natal homing behavior. ..
- Weng K, Castilho P, Morrissette J, Landeira Fernandez A, Holts D, Schallert R, et al. Satellite tagging and cardiac physiology reveal niche expansion in salmon sharks. Science. 2005;310:104-6 pubmed
- Biuw M, McConnell B, Bradshaw C, Burton H, Fedak M. Blubber and buoyancy: monitoring the body condition of free-ranging seals using simple dive characteristics. J Exp Biol. 2003;206:3405-23 pubmed..Our results suggest that this simple method can be used to estimate the changes in lipid content of free-ranging seals while at sea and may help improve our understanding of the foraging strategies of these important marine predators. ..
- Leonardo L, Rivera P, Crisostomo B, Sarol J, Bantayan N, Tiu W, et al. A study of the environmental determinants of malaria and schistosomiasis in the Philippines using Remote Sensing and Geographic Information Systems. Parassitologia. 2005;47:105-14 pubmed
- Guo J, Vounatsou P, Cao C, Utzinger J, Zhu H, Anderegg D, et al. A geographic information and remote sensing based model for prediction of Oncomelania hupensis habitats in the Poyang Lake area, China. Acta Trop. 2005;96:213-22 pubmed..The model is of particular relevance for schistosome-affected regions that lack accurate surveillance capabilities and are large enough to be detected at most commercially available remote sensing scales. ..
- Min J, Ryu J, Lee S, Son S. Monitoring of suspended sediment variation using Landsat and MODIS in the Saemangeum coastal area of Korea. Mar Pollut Bull. 2012;64:382-90 pubmed publisher..Some eddies and plumes were observed in the images generated from Landsat data. Landsat and MODIS can reveal that coastal water turbidity was greatly reduced after completion of the construction. ..
- Zhang P, Hu Y, He H, Xiong Z, Liu M. [Dynamic changes of urban architecture landscape based on Barista: a case study in Tiexi District of Shenyang City]. Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao. 2010;21:3105-12 pubmed..The building density in industrial district was higher than that in residential district, while the average building height was in adverse. The further from the city center, the lower the building density and building average height. ..
- Roy U, Mandal A, Mukherjee S. Detection and analysis of forest cover changes of Indian Sundarbans using satellite data. J Environ Sci Eng. 2011;53:309-18 pubmed..This paper also highlights the problems associated with the forest conservation and provides suggestions and schemes for protection and conservation of mangrove forest in Sundarban region. ..
- Tripathi A, Tyagi A, Kumar A, Singh A, Singh S, Chaudhary L, et al. The internal transcribed spacer (ITS) region and trnH-psbA [corrected] are suitable candidate loci for DNA barcoding of tropical tree species of India. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e57934 pubmed publisher..The recommended matK and rbcL primers combination may not work in tropical tree species as barcode markers. ..
- Yan S, Hong W. [Spatiotemporal dynamics of land use in Langqi Island at Minjiang Estuary]. Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao. 2009;20:1243-7 pubmed..The comprehensive index of land use degree in the study area decreased, which indicated that the land use type tended to be diversification. ..
- Bellis L, Pidgeon A, Radeloff V, St Louis V, Navarro J, Martella M. Modeling habitat suitability for Greater Rheas based on satellite image texture. Ecol Appl. 2008;18:1956-66 pubmed..Our results stress the potential of image texture to capture within-habitat variability in habitat assessments, and the necessity to preserve the remaining natural habitat for Greater Rheas...
- Ren J, Chen Z, Tang H. [Regional scale remote sensing-based yield estimation of winter wheat by using MODIS-NDVI data: a case study of Jining City in Shandong Province]. Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao. 2006;17:2371-5 pubmed..The results showed that the relative error of predicted yield was between -3.6% and 3.9%, suggesting that the method was relatively accurate and feasible. ..
- Bartsch A, Wagner W, Scipal K, Pathe C, Sabel D, Wolski P. Global monitoring of wetlands--the value of ENVISAT ASAR Global mode. J Environ Manage. 2009;90:2226-33 pubmed publisher..In addition, relative soil moisture maps may provide a valuable data source in order to account for external hydrological factors of such complex wetland ecosystems. ..
- Swenson J, Carter C, Domec J, Delgado C. Gold mining in the Peruvian Amazon: global prices, deforestation, and mercury imports. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18875 pubmed publisher..The increasing availability of satellite imagery ought to evoke further studies linking economic variables with land use and cover changes on the ground. ..
- Huang W, Huang J, Wang X, Wang F, Shi J. Comparability of red/near-infrared reflectance and NDVI based on the spectral response function between MODIS and 30 other satellite sensors using rice canopy spectra. Sensors (Basel). 2013;13:16023-50 pubmed publisher..A series of optimum models were presented for remote sensing data assimilation between MODIS and other sensors. ..
- Xu T, Li Z, Niu J, Bao Y, Cheng Y, Lu H, et al. [A services value of different landscape types in Longitudinal Range-Gorge Region]. Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao. 2008;19:2009-15 pubmed..11% of the total area, contributed most (85.34%) to the total service value of LRGR, followed by grassland and farmland landscapes. ..
- Zheng D, Heath L, Ducey M. Satellite detection of land-use change and effects on regional forest aboveground biomass estimates. Environ Monit Assess. 2008;144:67-79 pubmed..Scaling up 30-m land-cover map to 1-km resolution caused a mean difference of 8% (in absolute value) in forest area estimates at the county-level ranging from 0 to 17% within a 95% confidence interval. ..
- Nasierding N, Zhang Y. Change detection of sandy land areas in Minfeng oasis of Xinjiang, China. Environ Monit Assess. 2009;151:189-96 pubmed publisher..In addition, the change from woodland to grassland and/or arable land was quite obvious from 1992 to 2001. These changes would probably result in more fragile environment and higher potentiality in land desertification in the area. ..
- Keeley J, Brennan T, Pfaff A. Fire severity and ecosytem responses following crown fires in California shrublands. Ecol Appl. 2008;18:1530-46 pubmed..These findings point to a critical need for further research on interpreting remote sensing indices as applied to postfire management of these shrublands. ..
- Gu Z, Zeng Z, Shi X, Yu D, Zheng W, Zhang Z, et al. [Estimation models of vegetation fractional coverage (VFC) based on remote sensing image at different radiometric correction levels]. Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao. 2008;19:1296-302 pubmed..In VI-VFC modeling, using VIs derived from different radiometric correction levels of remote sensing image could help mining valuable information from remote sensing image, and thus, improving the accuracy of VFC estimation. ..
- Lu Z, Wu C, Yue W, Liu Y, Ren L. [Spatiotemporal changes of wetlands in Hangzhou Bay Industrial Belt]. Ying Yong Sheng Tai Xue Bao. 2009;20:1759-64 pubmed
- Kim D, Kim J, Kim D, Choa M, Yoo S. Real-time Ambulance Location Monitoring using GPS and Maps Open API. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2008;2008:1561-3 pubmed publisher..0. It is currently a heavily sought after solution to interconnect Web sites in a more fluid user-friendly manner. We could have benefits easily development and high efficiency. ..
- Xue Z, Gebremichael M, Ahmad R, Weldu M, Bagtzoglou A. Impact of temperature and precipitation on propagation of intestinal schistosomiasis in an irrigated region in Ethiopia: suitability of satellite datasets. Trop Med Int Health. 2011;16:1104-11 pubmed publisher..Satellite temperature and precipitation products provide useful information to understand and infer the relationship between meteorological conditions and S. mansoni prevalence. ..
- Nakajima I. Japanese telemedical concept of ambulatory application. J Med Syst. 2011;35:215-20 pubmed publisher..This paper describes our basic concept to support ambulatory application. ..
- Tan L, Yu J, Ma J, Yang Y, Li M, Jiang Y, et al. Approach to improve beam quality of inter-satellite optical communication system based on diffractive optical elements. Opt Express. 2009;17:6311-9 pubmed..This work can improve the beam quality of inter-satellite optical communication system without affecting any other functionality. ..
- Wu M, Zhang W, Wang X, Luo D. Application of MODIS satellite data in monitoring water quality parameters of Chaohu Lake in China. Environ Monit Assess. 2009;148:255-64 pubmed publisher..This study demonstrates that MODIS data can be applied for monitoring some of the water quality parameters of large inland lakes. ..
- Mehrabian A, Naqinezhad A, Mahiny A, Mostafavi H, Liaghati H, Kouchekzadeh M. Vegetation mapping of the Mond Protected Area of Bushehr Province (south-west Iran). J Integr Plant Biol. 2009;51:251-60 pubmed publisher..The location of vegetation types was studied on the separate soil and habitat diversity maps of the study area, which helped in final refinements of the vegetation map produced. ..
- Petropoulos G, Vadrevu K, Xanthopoulos G, Karantounias G, Scholze M. A comparison of Spectral Angle Mapper and Artificial Neural Network classifiers combined with Landsat TM imagery analysis for obtaining burnt area mapping. Sensors (Basel). 2010;10:1967-85 pubmed publisher..5% for SAM. The study demonstrates the potential of the examined here algorithms in detecting burnt areas in a typical Mediterranean setting. ..
- Jorgensen S, Reeb C, Chapple T, Anderson S, Perle C, Van Sommeran S, et al. Philopatry and migration of Pacific white sharks. Proc Biol Sci. 2010;277:679-88 pubmed publisher..This population's fidelity to discrete and predictable locations offers clear population assessment, monitoring and management options. ..
- Xiao Z, Jiang H. [Variation of total ozone over Tibetain Plateau during 30 years monitored by remotely sensed data]. Huan Jing Ke Xue. 2010;31:2569-74 pubmed..Compare with the average total ozone over the same latitude, the total ozone over Tibetain Plateau is lower with about 19 DU, and give birth to an ozone valley. ..
- Lloyd J, Fingland R, Arighi M, Thompson J, de Laforcade A, McManus J. Satellite teaching hospitals and public-private collaborations in veterinary medical clinical education. J Vet Med Educ. 2008;35:43-7 pubmed publisher..These new models represent innovative approaches that work to meet many of the key emerging challenges facing VTHs today. ..