Summary: Transmission of information over distances via electronic means.
- Calabrese F, Smoreda Z, Blondel V, Ratti C. Interplay between telecommunications and face-to-face interactions: a study using mobile phone data. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20814 pubmed publisherIn this study we analyze one year of anonymized telecommunications data for over one million customers from a large European cellphone operator, and we investigate the relationship between people's calls and their physical location...
- Chang L, Kagaayi J, Nakigozi G, Galiwango R, Mulamba J, Ludigo J, et al. Telecommunications and health Care: an HIV/AIDS warmline for communication and consultation in Rakai, Uganda. J Int Assoc Physicians AIDS Care (Chic). 2008;7:130-2 pubmed publisher..Most clinical staff felt that the warmline made their jobs easier and improved the health of patients. An HIV/AIDS warmline leveraged the skills of a limited workforce to provide increased access to HIV/AIDS care, advice, and education. ..
- Finlayson M, Holberg C. Evaluation of a teleconference-delivered energy conservation education program for people with multiple sclerosis. Can J Occup Ther. 2007;74:337-47 pubmed..Feedback from both people with MS and occupational therapists suggests that providing energy conservation education by teleconference is acceptable, practical, and worth pursuing in the future. ..
- Watari M, Uetani M, Suwazono Y, Kobayashi E, Kinouchi N, Nogawa K. A longitudinal study of the influence of smoking on the onset of obesity at a telecommunications company in Japan. Prev Med. 2006;43:107-12 pubmed..This study revealed that smoking independently increases the risk of the onset of obesity regardless of sex. ..
- Melikyan A, Lindenmann N, Walheim S, Leufke P, Ulrich S, Ye J, et al. Surface plasmon polariton absorption modulator. Opt Express. 2011;19:8855-69 pubmed publisher..55 ?m telecommunication wavelength window. Absorption modulation is achieved by electrically modulating the free carrier density in the intermediate metal-oxide layer. The concept is supported by proof-of-principle experiments. ..
- DeMolles D, Sparrow D, Gottlieb D, Friedman R. A pilot trial of a telecommunications system in sleep apnea management. Med Care. 2004;42:764-9 pubmed..076) in the usual-care group. This pilot study suggests that patients with OSAS started on CPAP and a concurrently administered automated education and counseling system had better CPAP adherence and better control of OSAS symptoms. ..
- Soar J, Gow J, Caniogo V. Sustainability of health information systems in developing countries: the case of Fiji. Health Inf Manag. 2012;41:13-9 pubmed..The identified problems with the system are not related to the application per se but rather to an under-investment in resources for its utilisation. ..
- Zhuang L, Khan M, Beeker W, Leinse A, Heideman R, Roeloffzen C. Novel microwave photonic fractional Hilbert transformer using a ring resonator-based optical all-pass filter. Opt Express. 2012;20:26499-510 pubmed publisher..To our best knowledge, this is the first-time on-chip demonstration where ring resonators are employed to perform phase control functionalities for optical generation of microwave signals by means of optical heterodyning. ..
- Nguyen T, Chan E, Minasian R. A new technique for 100-fold increase in the FSR of optical recirculating delay line filters using a time compression unit. Opt Express. 2012;20:23570-81 pubmed publisher..Experimental results are presented which demonstrate a large 100-fold increase in the FSR of the bandpass filter response. ..
- Chen S, Anderson T, Hewitt D, Tran A, Zhu C, Du L, et al. Optical performance monitoring for OFDM using low bandwidth coherent receivers. Opt Express. 2012;20:28724-33 pubmed publisher..The results show that after calibration the OSNR monitoring error is less than 1 dB and the two approaches are not affected by fiber dispersion after 800-km transmission and 30-ps differential group delay (DGD). ..
- Cao H, Atai J, Shu X, Chen G. Direct design of high channel-count fiber Bragg grating filters with low index modulation. Opt Express. 2012;20:12095-110 pubmed publisher..Numerical results show that the thus designed high channel-count FBG filters exhibit superior characteristics including 30 dB channel isolation, a flat-top and near 100% reflectivity in each channel. ..
- Zhang B, Malouin C, Schmidt T. Towards full band colorless reception with coherent balanced receivers. Opt Express. 2012;20:10339-52 pubmed publisher..Considering both the OFE noise limit and the TIA overload limit, we show that the receiver operating range is notably narrowed for dispersion unmanaged links, as compared to dispersion managed links. ..
- Jelodar G, Nazifi S, Akbari A. The prophylactic effect of vitamin C on induced oxidative stress in rat testis following exposure to 900 MHz radio frequency wave generated by a BTS antenna model. Electromagn Biol Med. 2013;32:409-16 pubmed publisher..05). It can be concluded that RFW causes oxidative stress in testis and vitamin C improves the antioxidant enzymes activity and decreases MDA. ..
- Matsuo S, Sasaki Y, Akamatsu T, Ishida I, Takenaga K, Okuyama K, et al. 12-core fiber with one ring structure for extremely large capacity transmission. Opt Express. 2012;20:28398-408 pubmed publisher..The MCF with the number of core larger than seven and the small crosstalk was demonstrated for the first time. ..
- Weeber J, Hassan K, Saviot L, Dereux A, Boissiere C, Durupthy O, et al. Efficient photo-thermal activation of gold nanoparticle-doped polymer plasmonic switches. Opt Express. 2012;20:27636-49 pubmed publisher..The minimization of activation power is attributed to enhanced light-heat conversion and optimized spatial heat generation for doped devices and not to a change of the thermo-optic coefficient of the doped polymer. ..
- Davies A, Rixon L, Newman S. Systematic review of the effects of telecare provided for a person with social care needs on outcomes for their informal carers. Health Soc Care Community. 2013;21:582-97 pubmed publisher..Additional good-quality evaluations are required to establish the effects of telecare on informal carer outcomes. ..
- Farhoudi R, Ghazisaeidi A, Rusch L. Performance of carrier phase recovery for electronically dispersion compensated coherent systems. Opt Express. 2012;20:26568-82 pubmed publisher..Finally, we study extension of our results to quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM). Preliminary simulation results are promising but the accuracy of our semi-analytical approach for predicting BER should be investigated further. ..
- Hamel Bissell B, Proesel J, Lee B, Kuchta D, Rylyakov A, Schow C. 30-Gb/s 90-nm CMOS-driven equalized multimode optical link. Opt Express. 2013;21:10962-8 pubmed publisher..Transmitter feed-forward equalization is shown to improve maximum data rate from 25 to 30 Gb/s, timing margin by 17% at 23.5 Gb/s, and receiver sensitivity by 4 dB at 23.5 Gb/s. ..
- Zhang L, Zhu M, Ye C, Fan S, Liu C, Hu X, et al. Generation and transmission of multiband and multi-gigabit 60-GHz MMW signals in an RoF system with frequency quintupling technique. Opt Express. 2013;21:9899-905 pubmed publisher..Error-free performances are achieved for the multiband MMW signals after 50-km single-mode fiber (SMF) and 10-ft wireless link transmissions. ..
- Jiang F, Wong J, Lam H, Zhou J, Aditya S, Lim P, et al. An optically tunable wideband optoelectronic oscillator based on a bandpass microwave photonic filter. Opt Express. 2013;21:16381-9 pubmed publisher..128 GHz. The maximum frequency drift of the generated 10 GHz signal is observed to be 1.923 kHz over 1 hour and its phase noise reaches the -112 dBc/Hz limit of our measuring equipment at 10 kHz offset frequency. ..
- Washington L. Managing health information in mobile devices. J AHIMA. 2012;83:58-60 pubmed
- Wolfe E, Dietrich C, Vanhoy G. Application of the Rasch model to measuring the performance of cognitive radios. J Appl Meas. 2013;14:332-8 pubmed
- Xu J, Peucheret C, Lyngsø J, Leick L. Two-mode multiplexing at 2 × 10.7 Gbps over a 7-cell hollow-core photonic bandgap fiber. Opt Express. 2012;20:12449-56 pubmed publisher..The performance of this exploratory demonstration is expected to improve significantly if advanced mode launching and detection methods are used. ..
- Du L, Morshed M, Lowery A. Fiber nonlinearity compensation for OFDM super-channels using optical phase conjugation. Opt Express. 2012;20:19921-7 pubmed publisher..FWM theory shows that the 'noise' processes of OPC modules utilizing ?3 nonlinearities could be reduced by increasing the pump power, which will improve back-to-back performance with the OPC module. ..
- Zhu S, Lo G, Kwong D. Phase modulation in horizontal metal-insulator-silicon-insulator-metal plasmonic waveguides. Opt Express. 2013;21:8320-30 pubmed publisher..Numerical simulations suggest that high speed and low driving voltage could be achieved by shortening the distance between the Si core and the n(+)-contact and by using a high-? dielectric as the insulator, respectively. ..
- Zhao P, Zhang J, Yu Y, Dong J, Shi L, Liu Y, et al. In-line polarization-dependent microfiber interferometers and their applications in UWB signal generation. Opt Express. 2013;21:8231-9 pubmed publisher..Hence, with the advantages of being fiberized, simple fabrication and robustness, these PD-MFIs can be attractive elements in optical signal processing, optical sensing, optical fiber communication, and microwave photonics. ..
- So R, Lam S. Factors affecting the appreciation generated through applying human factors/ergonomics (HFE) principles to systems of work. Appl Ergon. 2014;45:99-109 pubmed publisher..These relationships are discussed using the Kano's model of quality. Means to generate greater appreciation of the benefits of HFE are discussed. ..
- Liao J, Wen H, Zheng X, Zhang H, Zhou B. A time-domain photonic arbitrary waveform generator. Opt Express. 2012;20:12631-9 pubmed publisher..Assisted with the integration technology, this PAWG presents a good prospect for broad range practical applications in future. ..
- Juarez A, Bunge C, Warm S, Petermann K. Perspectives of principal mode transmission in mode-division-multiplex operation. Opt Express. 2012;20:13810-23 pubmed publisher..If this condition is not sustained, modal dispersion and crosstalk at the receiver limit the transmission performance, setting very high constraints towards modal coupling. ..
- Chen X, Li Y, Fu Y, Yuan N. Design and analysis of lumped resistor loaded metamaterial absorber with transmission band. Opt Express. 2012;20:28347-52 pubmed publisher..A good match of TL model results and measurement results verified the validity of TL model in analyzing and optimizing the performances of this kind of absorber. ..
- Ettabib M, Parmigiani F, Feng X, Jones L, Kakande J, Slavík R, et al. Phase regeneration of DPSK signals in a highly nonlinear lead-silicate W-type fiber. Opt Express. 2012;20:27419-24 pubmed publisher..Results show an improvement in the Error Vector Magnitude (EVM) and a reduction of almost a factor of 2 in the phase noise of the signal after regeneration for various noise levels at the input. ..
- Terawaki R, Takahashi Y, Chihara M, Inui Y, Noda S. Ultrahigh-Q photonic crystal nanocavities in wide optical telecommunication bands. Opt Express. 2012;20:22743-52 pubmed publisher..We have also analyzed the influence of absorption due to surface water. We conclude that high-Q nanocavities are feasible for an even wider wavelength region including parts of the mid-infrared. ..
- Petersen S, Alkeskjold T, Lægsgaard J. Degenerate four wave mixing in large mode area hybrid photonic crystal fibers. Opt Express. 2013;21:18111-24 pubmed publisher..The parametric gain control combined with a large mode area fiber design potentially allows for power scaling of light at wavelengths not easily accessible with e.g. rare earth ions. ..
- Harder G, Ansari V, Brecht B, Dirmeier T, Marquardt C, Silberhorn C. An optimized photon pair source for quantum circuits. Opt Express. 2013;21:13975-85 pubmed publisher..Moreover, we measure raw heralding efficiencies of 20.5% and 15.5% for the signal and idler beams corresponding to detector-loss corrected values of 80% and 70%. ..
- Xu H, Wen L, Hardy L, Rissel C. Associations of outdoor play and screen time with nocturnal sleep duration and pattern among young children. Acta Paediatr. 2016;105:297-303 pubmed publisher..Among young children, screen time and outdoor playtime were associated with sleep duration and pattern. Reducing screen time and increasing outdoor playtime might help improving children's sleep. ..
- Kurosu T, Tanizawa K, Wang D, Set S, Namiki S. Baud-rate flexible clock recovery and channel identification in OTDM realized by pulse position modulation. Opt Express. 2013;21:4447-55 pubmed publisher..We demonstrate stable clock recovery with channel identification in 344-Gb/s OTDM transmissions over dispersion managed 3-km SMF. ..
- Chen X, Wu L. Nonlinear demodulation and channel coding in EBPSK scheme. ScientificWorldJournal. 2012;2012:180469 pubmed publisher..Thus, SVM is an effective method for EBPSK demodulation and getting posterior probability for LDPC decoding. ..
- Zeng W, Jiang X. Time reversal communication over doubly spread channels. J Acoust Soc Am. 2012;132:3200-12 pubmed publisher..Simulation results verify the effectiveness of the proposed approach, indicating that it can simultaneously counteract delay and Doppler spreads, achieving both temporal and frequency focusing. ..
- Luo Z, Ye C, Fu H, Cheng H, Wang J, Cai Z. Raman fiber laser harmonically mode-locked by exploiting the intermodal beating of CW multimode pump source. Opt Express. 2012;20:19905-11 pubmed publisher..25 nJ. Using the new type of mode-locking, the harmonic order can be discretely tuned from 78 th- to 693 rd-order, and the cavity supermode is suppressed up to 51.1 dB with the signal-to-noise ratio of more than 65 dB. ..
- Mullins J, Borofsky M, Allaf M, Bhayani S, Kaouk J, Rogers C, et al. Live robotic surgery: are outcomes compromised?. Urology. 2012;80:602-7 pubmed publisher..Live robotic surgery represents a powerful educational tool which may be used without increasing patient morbidity. ..
- Akpinar I, Sayin M, Karabag T, Dogan S, Aydin M. An asymptomatic needle in the left ventricular anterolateral wall: a prison inmate's strange radio antenna. Echocardiography. 2012;29:E179-81 pubmed publisher..Here, we report the case of a 34-year-old male prison inmate who accidentally lodged a pin in his left ventricle while asleep. As he has refused surgery, it was decided to follow the patient carefully. ..
- Tchalla A, Lachal F, Cardinaud N, Saulnier I, Rialle V, Preux P, et al. Preventing and managing indoor falls with home-based technologies in mild and moderate Alzheimer's disease patients: pilot study in a community dwelling. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2013;36:251-61 pubmed publisher..15-0.88, p = 0.0245). The use of the HBTec-TS significantly reduced the incidence of primary indoor falling needing GP intervention or attendance at an emergency room among elderly people with AD and mild-to-moderate dementia. ..
- Backhaus A, Agha Z, Maglione M, Repp A, Ross B, Zuest D, et al. Videoconferencing psychotherapy: a systematic review. Psychol Serv. 2012;9:111-31 pubmed publisher..Although the number of articles being published on VCP has increased in recent years, there remains a need for additional large-scale clinical trials to further assess the efficacy and effectiveness of VCP. ..