Summary: Books containing photographs, prints, drawings, portraits, plates, diagrams, facsimiles, maps, tables, or other representations or systematic arrangement of data designed to elucidate or decorate its contents. (From The ALA Glossary of Library and Information Science, 1983, p114)
- San I, Oguz H, Kafali H. Colored illustrations of pediatric otorhinolaryngologic surgical techniques of a Turkish surgeon, Serefeddin Sabuncuoglu, in the 15th century. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2005;69:885-91 pubmed
- Gentry M, Chinn K, Moulton R. Effectiveness of multimedia reading materials when used with children who are deaf. Am Ann Deaf. 2004;149:394-403 pubmed..The study findings suggest that presenting stories on CD-ROM with multiple modes of reading cues, such as print, pictures, and sign language, may be an enjoyable and interesting supplement to standard reading practices. ..
- von den Driesch A, Hiepe T. [The book about equery, by Jordanus Ruffus (13th century), in Ms 78 C of the copper engraving collection, Berlin]. Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr. 1991;104:133-9 pubmed..A translation into German of this italian manuscript was carried out recently in our Institute. This paper emphasizes the historical value of this opus and makes comments on the illustrations. ..
- Nakahara S, Wakai S, Ichikawa M. Smoking in children's picture books. Tob Control. 2003;12:110 pubmed
- Lefebvre T. [Neglected aspects of the antialcoholic iconography: lantern slides and film strips]. Rev Prat. 2002;52:1749-51 pubmed
- Dominiczak M. Poetry, images and visions: William Blake. Clin Chem Lab Med. 2002;40:1066-70 pubmed..Blake's work is related to the early discourse on science. The article is supported by the images of his two works, the 'Ancient of Days' and the 'Newton'. ..
- Woodgate D. Taking things apart: ovario-hysterectomy--textbook knowledge and actual practice in veterinary surgery. Soc Stud Sci. 2006;36:367-97 pubmed..The links between actual bodies (and operations) and textbook representations of them are thus formed within a community of 'operators'. ..
- van Bergen L, de Mare H, Meijman F. From Goya to Afghanistan--an essay on the ratio and ethics of medical war pictures. Med Confl Surviv. 2010;26:124-44 pubmed publisher..We therefore assert the importance of the role of professionals and those in the humanities in particular in educating the public and initiating debate. ..
- Sidiropoulou K, Diamantis A, Magiorkinis E. Hallmarks in 18th- and 19th-century epilepsy research. Epilepsy Behav. 2010;18:151-61 pubmed publisher..Epidemiological studies using large patient data sets were conducted for the first time, as was systematic research on the pathophysiological, pathological, neurological, and psychiatric aspects of the disease. ..
- Kemp M. Science in culture: peas without pictures--Gregor Mendel and the mathematical birth of modern genetics. Nature. 2002;417:490 pubmed
- Sakuta M. [Giovanni Alfonso Borelli: "De Motu Animalium" (1680-1681)]. Brain Nerve. 2007;59:1406-7 pubmed
- Sakai T. Historical evolution of anatomical terminology from ancient to modern. Anat Sci Int. 2007;82:65-81 pubmed..The anatomical terminology was revised repeatedly until the current Terminologia anatomica both in Latin and English. ..
- Mentges G. Fashion, time and the consumption of a Renaissance man in Germany: the costume book of Matthaus Schwarz of Augsburg, 1496-1564. Gend Hist. 2002;14:382-402 pubmed..The life-story of this Renaissance man is expressed in terms of changing fashions, which act as his subjective measure of time. ..
- Denlinger E. The garment and the man: masculine desire in Harris's list of Covent-Garden ladies, 1764-1793. J Hist Sex. 2002;11:357-94 pubmed
- Sabuncuoglu O. Early color illustrations of psychiatric treatment methods, as drawn by physician Serefeddin Sabuncuoglu (1385-1470). Am J Psychiatry. 2006;163:2071 pubmed
- Uchibayashi M. Maize in pre-Columbian China. Yakugaku Zasshi. 2005;125:583-6 pubmed..These new findings offer clear evidence that maize existed in China in the pre-Columbian era, or before 1492. Details of this evidence are discussed here. ..
- Schott G. William Blake's Milton, John Birch's "Electrical Magic", and the "falling star". Lancet. 2003;362:2114-6 pubmed
- Kruger L. An early illustrated comparative anatomy of the brain: Samuel Collins' A Systeme of Anatomy (1685) and the emergence of comparative neurology in 17th century England. J Hist Neurosci. 2004;13:195-217 pubmed
- Greenhoot A, Semb P. Do illustrations enhance preschoolers' memories for stories? Age-related change in the picture facilitation effect. J Exp Child Psychol. 2008;99:271-87 pubmed..Regardless of age, all verbal groups outperformed the Picture Only group, suggesting that preschoolers are unlikely to spontaneously generate a narrative from pictures alone. ..
- Remmert V. In the sign of Galileo: pictorial representation in the 17th-century Copernican debate. Endeavour. 2003;27:26-31 pubmed..Pictorial representation played an important role in it and the illustrations used as book frontispieces were a significant medium for the dispute. ..
- Vertesi J. Instrumental images: the visual rhetoric of self-presentation in Hevelius's Machina Coelestis. Br J Hist Sci. 2010;43:209-43 pubmed
- Okuda J. [European paintings entitled "Jesus Christ as Pharmacist" in the Middle Ages and later]. Yakushigaku Zasshi. 2001;36:175-9 pubmed..It seems that the purpose of displaying these paintings in a pharmacy was both to propagate Christianity to the poor who bought medicine at their family pharmacy and to win their respect for the pharmacist. ..
- Pietinen P, Paturi M, Reinivuo H, Tapanainen H, Valsta L. FINDIET 2007 Survey: energy and nutrient intakes. Public Health Nutr. 2010;13:920-4 pubmed publisher..Similarly, the average intakes of folate and vitamin D continue to fall below the recommendations. There is also a need to increase fibre intake and to cut down the intake of sucrose. ..
- Lazarus M, Pardoe H. Bute's "Botanical tables": dictated by nature. Arch Nat Hist. 2009;36:277-98 pubmed..In this paper we consider the circumstances of the production of the "Botanical tables" and explore how the original sets of this publication and original material have been dispersed. ..
- Secord A. Botany on a plate. Pleasure and the power of pictures in promoting early nineteenth-century scientific knowledge. Isis. 2002;93:28-57 pubmed
- Southgate M. The cover. Master of the Dresden Prayer Book. JAMA. 2005;293:529 pubmed
- Miller G. Taxonomy. Linnaeus's legacy carries on. Science. 2005;307:1038-9 pubmed
- Dubois A. [Analysis of frontispieces in seventeenth-century books from the Rouen libraries collections]. Rev Hist Pharm (Paris). 2004;52:559-74 pubmed..In conclusion, we will wonder about the possible understanding of the chemist at the time, facing these coded pictures. ..
- Kemp M. Science in culture: naturally natural. Albrecht Dürer's studies of animals have a life of their own. Nature. 2002;420:744 pubmed
- Bishop M. Ambrosius Holbein's memento mori map for Sir Thomas More's Utopia. The meanings of a masterpiece of early sixteenth century graphic art. Br Dent J. 2005;199:107-12 pubmed..Its identification now is made easier by the habits of interpretation with which all dentists are equipped thanks to their skill in dental radiology, and by the recognition of teeth appearing in an unlikely disguise. ..
- Nickelsen K. Draughtsmen, botanists and nature: constructing eighteenth-century botanical illustrations. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2006;37:1-25 pubmed..From this perspective, botanical illustrations can serve as historical sources on the working practices of eighteenth-century botanists and draughtsmen, which are usually not mentioned in textual sources. ..
- Peeters M, Verhoeven L, van Balkom H, De Moor J. Home literacy environment: characteristics of children with cerebral palsy. Int J Lang Commun Disord. 2009;44:917-40 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, parents should be given more information about their child's language development in order the better to understand what goals are achievable so they may begin to form realistic expectations. ..
- Hoffman M, Wang Y. The use of graphic representations of sign language in leveled texts to support deaf readers. Am Ann Deaf. 2010;155:131-6 pubmed..The materials needed to create sign support for the English print in the leveled books were commercially available. ..
- Cote A, Vachon C, Horlocker T, Bacon D. From Victor Pauchet to Gaston Labat: the transformation of regional anesthesia from a surgeon's practice to the physician anesthesiologist. Anesth Analg. 2003;96:1193-200 pubmed
- Goodsell D. Looking at molecules-an essay on art and science. Chembiochem. 2003;4:1293-8 pubmed
- Karenberg A. [Poetry and pathology. Literary figures as models for disease terms]. Dtsch Med Wochenschr. 2005;130:2971-8 pubmed
- Goss D. Johannes Amos Comenius (1592-1670) and his depiction of lenses and spectacles in the first children's picture book. Hindsight. 2009;40:25-8 pubmed..Orbis Pictus, first published in 1657, is hailed as the first children's picture book. Among the many commonplace objects he included in the book were a mirror, spectacles, a telescope, a magnifying lens, and a burning glass. ..
- Harris J. The Wood of the Self-Murderers: the Harpies and the Suicides. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2003;60:229 pubmed
- Armocida G, Broggini M. [Gout in Valchiavenna in the XVII century: a case report]. Reumatismo. 2007;59:75-84 pubmed
- Archer P. Joan Fairfax Whiteside ARRC FMAA (1904-2001)--illustrator, portrait painter & medical artist. J Audiov Media Med. 2002;25:172-5 pubmed
- Ilić D, Jović P, Danilovic V. [Bartolomeo Eustachius--the author of the first published book on dental medicine]. Vojnosanit Pregl. 2008;65:715-8 pubmed
- Kemp W. The earliest known French translation of Galen (ca. 1530) at the Osler library. Osler Libr Newsl. 2007;107:1-5 pubmed
- Schneider P, Dubé R. Story presentation effects on children's retell content. Am J Speech Lang Pathol. 2005;14:52-60 pubmed..Thus, children in both grades provided more story information when they retold a story presented orally than when they told the story from pictures alone. ..
- Higgins E, Kose S. Absence of schizophrenia in a 15th-century Islamic medical textbook. Am J Psychiatry. 2007;164:1120; author reply 1120-1 pubmed
- Marsch A. [Pictures and documents from the journey of the count palatine Ottheinrich to Cracow and Berlin in 1536/37]. Wurzbg Medizinhist Mitt. 2003;22:148-57 pubmed..The artist accompanying Ottheinrich can only have made sketches during the journey, which he converted later to our plates in the size of up to 76 cm in width. ..
- Sanchez C, Wiley J. An examination of the seductive details effect in terms of working memory capacity. Mem Cognit. 2006;34:344-55 pubmed
- Foster S. Jacob Bigelow's American Medical Botany: digital reissue illuminates access to rare work. Pharm Hist. 2004;46:170-2 pubmed
- Harris J. Gulliver's Travels: the Struldbruggs. Arch Gen Psychiatry. 2005;62:243-4 pubmed
- Byrne E, Nitzke S. Preschool children's acceptance of a novel vegetable following exposure to messages in a storybook. J Nutr Educ Behav. 2002;34:211-3 pubmed..0398) and reporting in the previous interview that they would taste kohlrabi again (P =.0026). Further study is needed to verify these findings and to determine whether the results generalize to other foods and/or other children. ..
- Mayer R, Hegarty M, Mayer S, Campbell J. When static media promote active learning: annotated illustrations versus narrated animations in multimedia instruction. J Exp Psychol Appl. 2005;11:256-65 pubmed..These results support the static media hypothesis, in which static illustrations with printed text reduce extraneous processing and promote germane processing as compared with narrated animations. ..
- Yang Q, Zhu G, Hong D, Wu Z, Raven P. World's largest flora completed. Science. 2005;309:2163 pubmed