Summary: Auditory and visual instructional materials.
- Garcia Retamero R, Dhami M. Pictures speak louder than numbers: on communicating medical risks to immigrants with limited non-native language proficiency. Health Expect. 2011;14 Suppl 1:46-57 pubmed publisher..The use of materials that include visual aids is an effective method of communicating medical risk information to immigrant populations. ..
- Garcia Retamero R, Galesic M, Gigerenzer G. Enhancing understanding and recall of quantitative information about medical risks: a cross-cultural comparison between Germany and Spain. Span J Psychol. 2011;14:218-26 pubmed..We concluded that our results can have important implications for clinical practice. ..
- Kurth A, Martin D, Golden M, Weiss N, Heagerty P, Spielberg F, et al. A comparison between audio computer-assisted self-interviews and clinician interviews for obtaining the sexual history. Sex Transm Dis. 2004;31:719-26 pubmed..ACASI data tended to be more complete. ACASI was acceptable to 89% of participants. ACASI sexual histories may help to identify persons at risk for STDs. ..
- Edwards A, Elwyn G, Mulley A. Explaining risks: turning numerical data into meaningful pictures. BMJ. 2002;324:827-30 pubmed
- Goodsell D, Johnson G. Filling in the gaps: artistic license in education and outreach. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e308 pubmed
- Starren J, Johnson S. An object-oriented taxonomy of medical data presentations. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2000;7:1-20 pubmed..The various subclasses are reviewed and examples are provided. Issues critical to the development and evaluation of presentations are also discussed. ..
- . Designing an audio computer-assisted self-interview (ACASI) system in a multisite trial: a brief report. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008;49 Suppl 1:S52-8 pubmed publisher..It is feasible to implement an ACASI system in a multisite study in a timely and efficient way. ..
- Houts P, Bachrach R, Witmer J, Tringali C, Bucher J, Localio R. Using pictographs to enhance recall of spoken medical instructions. Patient Educ Couns. 1998;35:83-8 pubmed..By viewing illiteracy as a memory problem, the large body of research on learning and memory can be utilized in designing education materials for this group. ..
- Dowse R, Ehlers M. The evaluation of pharmaceutical pictograms in a low-literate South African population. Patient Educ Couns. 2001;45:87-99 pubmed..At the follow-up interview, 20 of the Local pictograms complied with the ANSI criterion of >/=85% comprehension, compared with 11 of the USP pictograms. Respondents indicated an overwhelming preference for the Local pictograms. ..
- Williams M, Davis T, Parker R, Weiss B. The role of health literacy in patient-physician communication. Fam Med. 2002;34:383-9 pubmed..This should focus on the effect of poor health literacy on patients' ability to communicate their history and physicians' ability to solicit information, as well as identifying the most-effective techniques to educate patients. ..
- Nguyen N, Weismann M, Trauzettel Klosinski S. [Spectrum of ophthalmologic and social rehabilitation at the Tübinger Low-Vision Clinic : a retrospective analysis for 1999-2005]. Ophthalmologe. 2008;105:563-9 pubmed publisher..In the face of the increasing number of visually impaired elderly patients, rehabilitation should start as early as possible. ..
- Jones R. Survey data collection using Audio Computer Assisted Self-Interview. West J Nurs Res. 2003;25:349-58 pubmed..This article will focus on the use of ACASI in HIV behavioral research, its benefits, and approaches to resolve some identified problems with this method of data collection. ..
- Peng J, Tao Z, Huang Z. Risk of damage to hearing from personal listening devices in young adults. J Otolaryngol. 2007;36:181-5 pubmed..Our results suggest that long-term use of personal listening devices can impair hearing function The data also indicate that extended high-frequency audiometry is a sensitive method for early detection of noise-induced hearing loss. ..
- Houts P, Doak C, Doak L, Loscalzo M. The role of pictures in improving health communication: a review of research on attention, comprehension, recall, and adherence. Patient Educ Couns. 2006;61:173-90 pubmed
- Ancker J, Senathirajah Y, Kukafka R, Starren J. Design features of graphs in health risk communication: a systematic review. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2006;13:608-18 pubmed..Potentially useful directions for continuing research include interactions with educational level and numeracy and successful ways to communicate uncertainty about risk. ..
- Tideman R, Pitts M, Fairley C. Client acceptability of the use of computers in a sexual health clinic. Int J STD AIDS. 2006;17:121-3 pubmed..4. Clients assessed as being at higher risk of acquiring a sexually transmitted infection were no more reluctant than others to provide their details using a computer-assisted self-interview. ..
- Zikmund Fisher B, Ubel P, Smith D, Derry H, McClure J, Stark A, et al. Communicating side effect risks in a tamoxifen prophylaxis decision aid: the debiasing influence of pictographs. Patient Educ Couns. 2008;73:209-14 pubmed publisher..Pictographs make risk statistics easier to interpret, reducing biases associated with incremental risk presentations. Including graphs in risk communications is essential to support an informed treatment decision-making process. ..
- Edwards A, Thomas R, Williams R, Ellner A, Brown P, Elwyn G. Presenting risk information to people with diabetes: evaluating effects and preferences for different formats by a web-based randomised controlled trial. Patient Educ Couns. 2006;63:336-49 pubmed..The challenge is to provide more information, in appropriate and clear formats, but without risking information overload. Interactive web designs hold much promise to achieve this. ..
- Stein C, Eisenberg E, O Donnell J, Spallek H. What dental educators need to understand about emerging technologies to incorporate them effectively into the educational process. J Dent Educ. 2014;78:520-9 pubmed
- Connors E, Yazzolino L, Sanchez J, Merabet L. Development of an audio-based virtual gaming environment to assist with navigation skills in the blind. J Vis Exp. 2013;: pubmed publisher..Applications of this approach may extend to larger populations of visually impaired individuals. ..
- Phelan C. An innovative approach to targeting pain in older people in the acute care setting. Contemp Nurse. 2010;35:221-33 pubmed publisher..The mixed methods approach used highlighted several areas that need to be improved for the next phase of the study. ..
- Shokr A. [Arabian food pyramid: unified framework for nutritional health messages]. East Mediterr Health J. 2008;14:1413-24 pubmed..This provides comprehensive, integrated, simple and flexible health messages. ..
- Ajayi I, Oladepo O, Falade C, Bamgboye E, Kale O. The development of a treatment guideline for childhood malaria in rural Southwest Nigeria using participatory approach. Patient Educ Couns. 2009;75:227-37 pubmed publisher..Practice implications Preparation of educational materials with contributions from end users does not only build capacity at the local level but also increases the acceptability and ownership of such materials. ..
- Cunningham D. Incorporating medium fidelity simulation in a practical nurse education program. J Pract Nurs. 2010;60:2-5 pubmed..The lessons learned will someday play into a "life or death" scenario, and the patient will not be a simulation mannequin. ..
- Skhal K. A full revolution: offering 360 degree library services to clinical clerkship students. Med Ref Serv Q. 2008;27:249-59 pubmed publisher..Feedback has been positive from both students and faculty. While these techniques have been successful, they are only the first step in an evolving program. ..
- ..3Dme has made, and continues to make, significant investments in technology based hardware and software, boasting one of the largest in-house, fully equipped animation render farms in Queensland, Australia. ..
- Hermann C, Gautschi O, Hildebrandt G, Fournier J. [Web based audiovisual patient information system--a pilot study of the preoperative patient information]. Praxis (Bern 1994). 2009;98:695-701 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the use of the web-based multimedia information portal may leads to an essential time saving for the medical staff. ..
- Kennedy D, Pallikkathayil L, Warren J. Using a modified electronic health record to develop nursing process skills. J Nurs Educ. 2009;48:96-100 pubmed..Further study is needed to measure learning outcomes with similar technology-based, learner-centered activities. ..
- Luo N, Li M, Stolk E, Devlin N. The effects of lead time and visual aids in TTO valuation: a study of the EQ-VT framework. Eur J Health Econ. 2013;14 Suppl 1:S15-24 pubmed publisher..Different lead-time time trade-off variants should be carefully studied in order to achieve the best measurement of health-state values using this new method. ..
- Rozier R, Horowitz A, Podschun G. Dentist-patient communication techniques used in the United States: the results of a national survey. J Am Dent Assoc. 2011;142:518-30 pubmed..A firm foundation for these efforts requires the development, evaluation and dissemination of communication guidelines for dental care professionals. ..
- Kim M, Hong S, Shim H, Kim Y, Cha C, Yeo S. Hearing threshold of Korean adolescents associated with the use of personal music players. Yonsei Med J. 2009;50:771-6 pubmed publisher..Portable music players can have a deleterious effect on hearing threshold in adolescents. To preserve hearing, adolescents should avoid using portable music players for long periods of time and should avoid using earphones. ..
- Bradstreet T, Nessly M, Short T. A course in constructing effective displays of data for pharmaceutical research personnel. Pharm Stat. 2013;12:174-84 pubmed publisher..After completing the course, with a critical eye, the participants are able to construct, revise, critique, and interpret graphic and tabular displays according to an extensive set of guidelines. ..
- Garcia Retamero R, Dhami M. On avoiding framing effects in experienced decision makers. Q J Exp Psychol (Hove). 2013;66:829-42 pubmed publisher..We offer potential explanations for the debiasing effect of visual aids and implications for communicating risk to experienced, professional decision makers. ..
- ..Evidence indicates that concept maps provide a more authentic assessment of participants' knowledge, understanding, critical thinking, and ability to link concepts than do traditional tests. ..
- Okamoto H, Teismann H, Kakigi R, Pantev C. Broadened population-level frequency tuning in human auditory cortex of portable music player users. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17022 pubmed publisher..However, these damages could lead to future irreversible hearing disorders, which would have a huge negative impact on the quality of life of those affected, and the society as a whole. ..
- Zohn H. Color coding periodontal instruments. Quintessence Int. 2010;41:591-4 pubmed..As long as auxiliaries know which colors must be present in a cassette, the practitioner or dental faculty member can easily identify what instrument is required. ..
- Shigli K, Awinashe V. Patient-dentist communication: an adjunct to successful complete denture treatment. J Prosthodont. 2010;19:491-3 pubmed publisher..This article intends to highlight the communication skills that can improve the prognosis of complete denture treatment. ..
- Vickers K, Nies M, Dierkhising R, Salandy S, Jumean M, Squires R, et al. Exercise DVD improves exercise expectations in cardiovascular outpatients. Am J Health Behav. 2011;35:305-17 pubmed..There was a greater increase in relapse-prevention behavior in the DVD group, compared to control, for those with low relapse-prevention behavior at baseline (P=0.02). A minimal intervention improves outcome expectations for exercise. ..
- Tan M, Hooper Evans K, Braddock C, Shieh L. Patient whiteboards to improve patient-centred care in the hospital. Postgrad Med J. 2013;89:604-9 pubmed publisher..Inpatient whiteboards help physicians and ancillary staff with communication, improve patients' awareness of their care team, admission plans and duration of admission, and significantly improve patient overall satisfaction. ..
- Thompson R. Using life story work to enhance care. Nurs Older People. 2011;23:16-21 pubmed..It highlights the importance of leadership and developing positive cultures to ensure that life story work can be effectively sustained. ..
- Ruiz J, Cook D, Levinson A. Computer animations in medical education: a critical literature review. Med Educ. 2009;43:838-46 pubmed publisher..Existing medical education research does little to inform the use of animations. Research is needed to confirm and extend non-medicine research to ascertain when to use animations and how to use them effectively. ..
- Brewer N, Gilkey M, Lillie S, Hesse B, Sheridan S. Tables or bar graphs? Presenting test results in electronic medical records. Med Decis Making. 2012;32:545-53 pubmed publisher..The current practice of presenting medical test results in a tabular format merits reconsideration. ..
- Kristiansen J, Hetutu E, Manukia M, Jelleyman T. An evaluation of a pictorial asthma medication plan for Pacific children. N Z Med J. 2012;125:42-50 pubmed..The resources were effective at improving inhaler knowledge and supporting symptom recognition. A 'less-is-more' approach, pictorial format, and first language availability are characteristics that may benefit other ethnicities. ..
- Merrick R, Roulstone S. Children's views of communication and speech-language pathology. Int J Speech Lang Pathol. 2011;13:281-90 pubmed publisher..Findings offer insight into dialogue between children with SLCN and adults; the way communication is talked about has implications for children's view of themselves, their skills, and their participation. ..
- Blubaugh M, Uslan M. Accessibility attributes of blood glucose meter and home blood pressure monitor displays for visually impaired persons. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2012;6:246-51 pubmed..There were two BGMs and one HBPM that exhibited high-contrast values and large font heights, but most of the devices exhibited either poor contrast or exceptionally high reflection. ..
- Tadin D, Lappin J, Sonsino J. Recognition speed using a bioptic telescope. Optom Vis Sci. 2008;85:1135-41 pubmed publisher..Evidently, novice users can quickly acquire proficiency in using a spectacle-mounted bioptic telescope. This task could be used to train new bioptic telescope users in a safe environment and to evaluate their progress. ..
- Fat M, Doja A, Barrowman N, Sell E. YouTube videos as a teaching tool and patient resource for infantile spasms. J Child Neurol. 2011;26:804-9 pubmed publisher..75, P < .001). Ten videos were considered excellent examples (grading of 5 of 5) by at least 1 rater. YouTube may be used as an excellent patient resource for infantile spasms if guided search practices are followed. ..
- Blanchard R, Kuban M, Blak T, Cantor J, Klassen P, Dickey R. Absolute versus relative ascertainment of pedophilia in men. Sex Abuse. 2009;21:431-41 pubmed publisher..These results dramatically demonstrate the utility-or perhaps necessity-of relative ascertainment in the laboratory assessment of erotic age-preference. ..