Summary: Instructional materials used in teaching.
- Rees C, Sheard C. Undergraduate medical students' views about a reflective portfolio assessment of their communication skills learning. Med Educ. 2004;38:125-8 pubmed..Medical educators should be encouraged to consider introducing portfolios as a method of formative and summative assessment earlier in the medical curriculum. ..
- Botden S, Jakimowicz J. What is going on in augmented reality simulation in laparoscopic surgery?. Surg Endosc. 2009;23:1693-700 pubmed publisher..We recommend the development of AR laparoscopic simulators for component tasks of procedural training. AR simulators should be implemented in current laparoscopic training curricula, in particular for laparoscopic suturing training. ..
- Kimura T, Kawabe A, Suzuki K, Wada H. Usefulness of a virtual reality simulator or training box for endoscopic surgery training. Surg Endosc. 2006;20:656-9 pubmed..More actual experience and good supervision are essential for increasing the effectiveness of training with the VR and TB simulators, respectively. ..
- Cook D, Dupras D, Thompson W, Pankratz V. Web-based learning in residents' continuity clinics: a randomized, controlled trial. Acad Med. 2005;80:90-7 pubmed..WB learning is effective, well accepted, and efficient. Research should focus on aspects of WB instruction that will enhance its power as a learning tool and better define its role in specific settings. ..
- Fried G, Feldman L, Vassiliou M, Fraser S, Stanbridge D, Ghitulescu G, et al. Proving the value of simulation in laparoscopic surgery. Ann Surg. 2004;240:518-25; discussion 525-8 pubmed..001). MISTELS is a practical and inexpensive inanimate system developed to teach and measure technical skills in laparoscopy. This system is reliable, valid, and a useful educational tool. ..
- Turner T, Palazzi D, Ward M, Lorin M. Transforming teaching into scholarship. Clin Teach. 2012;9:363-7 pubmed publisher..Using this framework, we have demonstrated how clinician-educators can transform teaching activities into scholarship, and how important a community of practice can be for professional development. ..
- Davis M. Advancing biosocial pedagogy for HIV education. Health Educ Res. 2011;26:556-62 pubmed publisher..I argue that through biosocially aware HIV pedagogy, individuals and communities can be assisted to act on the opportunities and drawbacks of biomedical HIV control. ..
- Yanagisawa S, Soyano A, Igarashi H, Ura M, Nakamura Y. Effect of a maternal and child health handbook on maternal knowledge and behaviour: a community-based controlled trial in rural Cambodia. Health Policy Plan. 2015;30:1184-92 pubmed publisher..The qualitative data indicated that the handbook was well received and culturally appropriate. Thus, the MCH handbook is a reasonable and superior alternative to current card-type maternal records. ..
- Karaksha A, Grant G, Anoopkumar Dukie S, Nirthanan S, Davey A. Student engagement in pharmacology courses using online learning tools. Am J Pharm Educ. 2013;77:125 pubmed publisher..A suite of 148 e-tools (interactive online teaching materials encompassing the basic mechanisms of action for different drug classes) were designed and implemented across ..
- Flores R, Demoss P, Klene C, Havlik R, Tholpady S. Digital animation versus textbook in teaching plastic surgery techniques to novice learners. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013;132:101e-9e pubmed publisher..Test takers found digital animation to be the superior educational medium. ..
- Tchorz J, Hellwig E, Altenburger M. Teaching model for artificial teeth and endodontic apex locators. J Dent Educ. 2013;77:626-9 pubmed..Artificial teeth can be removed for visualization and replaced for further endodontic exercises. ..
- Branscum P, Sharma M, Wang L, Wilson B, Rojas Guyler L. A process evaluation of a social cognitive theory-based childhood obesity prevention intervention: the Comics for Health program. Health Promot Pract. 2013;14:189-98 pubmed publisher..These findings will be used to help explain the results of this intervention and make recommendations for future intervention efforts. ..
- Tolerton S, Hugh T, Cosman P. The production of audiovisual teaching tools in minimally invasive surgery. J Surg Educ. 2012;69:404-6 pubmed publisher..These resources are particularly attractive to surgical trainees when real time operative footage is used. They serve as valuable adjuncts to formal teaching, particularly in the setting of minimally invasive surgery. ..
- Arai T. Education in acoustics and speech science using vocal-tract models. J Acoust Soc Am. 2012;131:2444-54 pubmed publisher..Through this discussion the vocal-tract models were shown to be a powerful tool for education in acoustics and speech science for all ages of students. ..
- Dixon J, Kuldell N. BioBuilding using banana-scented bacteria to teach synthetic biology. Methods Enzymol. 2011;497:255-71 pubmed publisher..Here, we detail the student and teacher materials for performing the banana-scented bacteria lab, called "Eau that Smell." Other free teaching materials similar to the content here can be accessed through BioBuilder.org.
- Levick J, Quinn M, Holder A, Nyberg A, Beaumont E, Munch S. Support for siblings of NICU patients: an interdisciplinary approach. Soc Work Health Care. 2010;49:919-33 pubmed publisher..quot; Infection control considerations and the importance of an interdisciplinary team approach to enhance an array of sibling services are also highlighted. ..
- Hall D, Corman S, Drab S, Meyer S, Smith R. Instructor satisfaction with a technology-based resource for diabetes education. Am J Pharm Educ. 2009;73:45 pubmed..All instructors planned to use the course again. ..
- Johnson A, Steele J, Russell G, Moran R, Fredericks K, Jennings S. Decreasing pediatric patient anxiety about radiology imaging tests: prospective evaluation of an educational intervention. J Child Health Care. 2009;13:370-82 pubmed publisher..Most parents indicated that the CB was informative and helped them and their child be less worried, and that they were pleased to have received the CB. ..
- Essani R, Scriven R, McLarty A, Merriam L, Ahn H, Bergamaschi R. Simulated laparoscopic sigmoidectomy training: responsiveness of surgery residents. Dis Colon Rectum. 2009;52:1956-61 pubmed publisher..7; P = 0.04). Simulated laparoscopic sigmoidectomy training affected responsiveness in surgery residents with significantly decreased operating time and anastomotic leak rate. ..
- Peterson J, Link A, Jobe J, Winston G, Marina Klimasiewfski E, Allegrante J. Developing self-management education in coronary artery disease. Heart Lung. 2014;43:133-9 pubmed publisher..645 kilocalories per week, pÂ =Â 0.035). A self-management educational workbook developed using qualitative methods can provide relevant, disease-specific health information for patients with CAD. ..
- Miralles L, Morán P, Dopico E, Garcia Vazquez E. DNA Re-EvolutioN: a game for learning molecular genetics and evolution. Biochem Mol Biol Educ. 2013;41:396-401 pubmed publisher..The game was tested by majors and non-majors in genetics from 13 different countries and evaluated with pre- and post-tests obtaining very positive results. ..
- ..These animations serve as valuable resources for any collegiate-level course that describes these important factors. Courses that might use them include introductory biology, biochemistry, cell biology, physiology, and biophysics. ..
- Guzman K, Bartlett J. Using simple manipulatives to improve student comprehension of a complex biological process: protein synthesis. Biochem Mol Biol Educ. 2012;40:320-7 pubmed publisher..The translation exercise is described along with suggestions for background material, questions used to evaluate student comprehension and tips for using the manipulatives to identify common misconceptions. ..
- Hunter E, Dignan M, Shalash S. Evaluating allied health inpatient rehabilitation educational materials in terms of health literacy. J Allied Health. 2012;41:e33-7 pubmed..Vocabulary words, text formatting and "need to know" versus "nice to know" information were the most common problems in the original documents. ..
- Virdi M. Quality considerations in dental education in India. J Dent Educ. 2012;76:372-6 pubmed..It also makes suggestions for college-level and structural-level changes to meet the requirement of improved quality, which includes the addition of dental education as a subject in postgraduate dental programs. ..
- Halbert C, Kriebel R, Cuzzolino R, Coughlin P, FRESA DILLON K. Self-assessed learning style correlates to use of supplemental learning materials in an online course management system. Med Teach. 2011;33:331-3 pubmed publisher..Identification of a student's learning style can help medical educators direct students to learning resources that best suit their individual needs. ..
- Pronych G, Brown E, Horsch K, Mercer K. Oral health coordinators in long-term care--a pilot study. Spec Care Dentist. 2010;30:59-65 pubmed publisher..The role of the OHC showed promise when that person was active in holding nursing staff accountable for daily oral care of the residents. ..
- Gilbody J, Prasthofer A, Ho K, Costa M. The use and effectiveness of cadaveric workshops in higher surgical training: a systematic review. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2011;93:347-52 pubmed publisher..However, both trainees and assessors hold them in high regard and feel they help to improve operative skills. Further research into the role of cadaveric workshops is required. ..
- La Rochelle J, Durning S, Pangaro L, Artino A, van der Vleuten C, Schuwirth L. Authenticity of instruction and student performance: a prospective randomised trial. Med Educ. 2011;45:807-17 pubmed publisher..Medical educators should balance increases in authenticity with factors such as cognitive load, subject area and learner experience when designing new instructional formats. ..
- Siassakos D, Crofts J, Winter C, Weiner C, Draycott T. The active components of effective training in obstetric emergencies. BJOG. 2009;116:1028-32 pubmed publisher..Local training also appeared to facilitate self-directed infrastructural change. ..
- Pierson M, Schuelke S. Strengthening the use of evidence-based practice: development of an independent study packet. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2009;40:171-6 pubmed..Evaluation of the independent study pilot project and plans for educational support for continuing development of EBP knowledge and skills are described. ..
- Devocht J, Owens E, Gudavalli M, Strazewski J, Bhogal R, Xia T. Force-time profile differences in the delivery of simulated toggle-recoil spinal manipulation by students, instructors, and field doctors of chiropractic. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2013;36:342-8 pubmed publisher..There appears to be a unique 2-peak feature of the force-time plot that is unique to toggle recoil manipulation with a drop mechanism. ..
- Rosario P, González Pienda J, Cerezo R, Pinto R, Ferreira P, Abilio L, et al. [Efficacy of the program "Testas's (mis)adventures" to promote the deep approach to learning]. Psicothema. 2010;22:828-34 pubmed..In spite of this, in what concerns to academic achievement, no statistically significant differences have been found. ..
- Cox D, Zeng W, Frisella M, Brunt L. Analysis of standard multiport versus single-site access for laparoscopic skills training. Surg Endosc. 2011;25:1238-44 pubmed publisher..2 ± 35.2 vs. 77.6 ± 42.6; nonsignificant difference). Laparoscopic SSA skills training results in longer times and more repetitions to achieve proficiency than MP training, but the skills acquired transfer well to the MP approach. ..
- Zendejas B, Brydges R, Hamstra S, Cook D. State of the evidence on simulation-based training for laparoscopic surgery: a systematic review. Ann Surg. 2013;257:586-93 pubmed publisher..Simulation-based laparoscopic surgery training of health professionals has large benefits when compared with no intervention and is moderately more effective than nonsimulation instruction. ..
- Xie X, Sun Q, Ni A, Tian F. [Advances in researches on thorax mechanical modeling and simulation during cardiopulmonary resuscitation]. Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi. 2009;26:681-4 pubmed..As the actual CPR manikins' mechanical structures of the thorax are too simplified, it is necessary to do the work of improvement. ..
- Kaphingst K, Kreuter M, Casey C, Leme L, Thompson T, Cheng M, et al. Health Literacy INDEX: development, reliability, and validity of a new tool for evaluating the health literacy demands of health information materials. J Health Commun. 2012;17 Suppl 3:203-21 pubmed publisher..Although improvement in health information materials is just one aspect of mitigating the effects of limited health literacy on health outcomes, it is an essential step toward a more health literate public. ..
- ..Throughout every stage in the development of the foresight training package the concept and materials were tested with front-line staff. Formal evaluation of the published package is due to be completed by May 2009. ..
- Pons Vigués M, Puigpinós R, Rodriguez D, Fernández de Sanmamed M. [Strategies to recruit immigrant women to participate in qualitative research]. Gac Sanit. 2009;23 Suppl 1:90-2 pubmed publisher..The recruitment process cannot be confined to a single source and associations, religion institutions and cultural mediators are the most effective resources. ..
- Cannon S, Boswell C. Filling gaps in knowledge: educating nurses to provide appropriate patient materials. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2009;40:148-9 pubmed..Often, nurses do not know how to do this. Continuing nursing education provides a venue for filling this gap in knowledge, contributing to better and safer patient care. ..
- Braich P, Almeida D, Hollands S, Coleman M. Effects of pictograms in educating 3 distinct low-literacy populations on the use of postoperative cataract medication. Can J Ophthalmol. 2011;46:276-81 pubmed publisher..Education through pictograms strictly in the clinic was sufficient for short regimens (? 7 days). ..
- Welsh D, Marcinek R, Abshire D, Lennie T, Biddle M, Bentley B, et al. Theory-based low-sodium diet education for heart failure patients. Home Healthc Nurse. 2010;28:432-41; quiz 441-3 pubmed publisher..Home health clinicians can select a variety of the instructional techniques presented to meet individual patient learning needs. ..
- Ekblad S, Mollica R, Fors U, Pantziaras I, Lavelle J. Educational potential of a virtual patient system for caring for traumatized patients in primary care. BMC Med Educ. 2013;13:110 pubmed publisher..Next phase of our project will be a RCT study including comparison with specially prepared paper-cases and determinative input on improving clinical diagnosis and treatment of the traumatized refugee patient. ..
- Todsen T, Henriksen M, Kromann C, Konge L, Eldrup J, Ringsted C. Short- and long-term transfer of urethral catheterization skills from simulation training to performance on patients. BMC Med Educ. 2013;13:29 pubmed publisher..However, this study did not demonstrate that an instructional video, as a supplement to simulated skills training, improved clinical UC performance. Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN:ISRCTN90745002. ..
- Coleman C. Teaching health care professionals about health literacy: a review of the literature. Nurs Outlook. 2011;59:70-8 pubmed publisher..This article reviews the literature on teaching health literacy principles to health professionals and presents a menu of teaching options for health professions educators. ..
- Krank M, Ames S, Grenard J, Schoenfeld T, Stacy A. Paradoxical effects of alcohol information on alcohol outcome expectancies. Alcohol Clin Exp Res. 2010;34:1193-200 pubmed publisher..The findings have implications for the development of effective prevention materials. ..
- Gupta S. Impact of a health education intervention program regarding breast self examination by women in a semi-urban area of Madhya Pradesh, India. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2009;10:1113-7 pubmed..Health education programs through various channels to increase the awareness and knowledge about BSE are the need of the hour. Mass media cancer education should promote widespread access to information about early detection behavior. ..
- Fredericks S, Guruge S, Sidani S, Wan T. Postoperative patient education: a systematic review. Clin Nurs Res. 2010;19:144-64 pubmed publisher..The results highlight the importance of attending to the characteristics of both the elements of postoperative educational interventions and the individual patients in the design and delivery of patient education. ..