Summary: Printed publications usually having a format with no binding and no cover and having fewer than some set number of pages. They are often devoted to a single subject.
- Karlsson T, Raitasalo K, Holmila M, Koski Jännes A, Ollikainen H, Simpura J. The impact of a self-help pamphlet on reducing risk drinking among 30- to 49-year-old men in Helsinki, Finland. Subst Use Misuse. 2005;40:1831-47 pubmed..Although the results were encouraging, there is a need for more in-depth studies in the field. ..
- Francis N, Butler C, Hood K, Simpson S, Wood F, Nuttall J. Effect of using an interactive booklet about childhood respiratory tract infections in primary care consultations on reconsulting and antibiotic prescribing: a cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2009;339:b2885 pubmed publisher..Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN46104365. ..
- Kovacs F, Abraira V, Santos S, Diaz E, Gestoso M, Muriel A, et al. A comparison of two short education programs for improving low back pain-related disability in the elderly: a cluster randomized controlled trial. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2007;32:1053-9 pubmed..In institutionalized elderly, the handing out of the Back Book supported by a 20-minute group talk improves disability 6 months later, and is even more effective in those subjects with LBP. ..
- Coudeyre E, Tubach F, Rannou F, Baron G, Coriat F, Brin S, et al. Effect of a simple information booklet on pain persistence after an acute episode of low back pain: a non-randomized trial in a primary care setting. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e706 pubmed..Therefore, the implications and generalizability of this intervention are substantial. ClinicalTrials.gov NCT00343057. ..
- Fagerlin A, Rovner D, Stableford S, Jentoft C, Wei J, Holmes Rovner M. Patient education materials about the treatment of early-stage prostate cancer: a critical review. Ann Intern Med. 2004;140:721-8 pubmed..To assist patients and physicians in choosing among prostate cancer treatment options, a new generation of materials is needed. ..
- Stewart A, Sodhi V, Harper N, Yentis S. Assessment of the effect upon maternal knowledge of an information leaflet about pain relief in labour. Anaesthesia. 2003;58:1015-9 pubmed
- Hill J, Bird H. The development and evaluation of a drug information leaflet for patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Rheumatology (Oxford). 2003;42:66-70 pubmed..Providing additional verbal explanations did bring about increases in knowledge but these were not significant. ..
- MacFarlane J, Holmes W, Gard P, Thornhill D, Macfarlane R, Hubbard R. Reducing antibiotic use for acute bronchitis in primary care: blinded, randomised controlled trial of patient information leaflet. BMJ. 2002;324:91-4 pubmed..Reassuring these patients and sharing the uncertainty about prescribing in a information leaflet supported by verbal advice is a safe strategy and reduces antibiotic use. ..
- Makosky Daley C, Cowan P, Nollen N, Greiner K, Choi W. Assessing the scientific accuracy, readability, and cultural appropriateness of a culturally targeted smoking cessation program for American Indians. Health Promot Pract. 2009;10:386-93 pubmed publisher..Based on this project, the SAM can be used in combination with scientific review and input from community members during formative research to assess and modify educational materials for a targeted population. ..
- Cunningham J, Neighbors C, Wild C, Humphreys K. Ultra-brief intervention for problem drinkers: research protocol. BMC Public Health. 2008;8:298 pubmed publisher..In the week after the baseline survey, households in the two pamphlet conditions will be sent their respective pamphlets. Changes in drinking will be assessed post intervention at three-month and six-month follow-ups...
- Petrie K, Müller J, Schirmbeck F, Donkin L, Broadbent E, Ellis C, et al. Effect of providing information about normal test results on patients' reassurance: randomised controlled trial. BMJ. 2007;334:352 pubmed..Providing patients with information about normal test results before testing can improve rates of reassurance and reduce the likelihood of future reports of chest pain. Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN87589121 [controlled-trials.com]. ..
- Dilley J, Reuer J, Colman V, Norman R. From making pamphlets to making policies: results from a collaborative training to increase knowledge, motivation, and self-efficacy for achieving public health policy and systems change. Health Promot Pract. 2009;10:138S-145S pubmed publisher..This study suggests that an integrated training, using adult learning theory, has led to long-term improvements in capacity among public health staff and partners. ..
- McDonald D, Goncalves P, Almario V, Krajewski A, Cervera P, Kaeser D, et al. Assisting women to learn myocardial infarction symptoms. Public Health Nurs. 2006;23:216-23 pubmed..The women read one of the four MI pamphlets corresponding to the four conditions...
- Harrison R, Benton T, Everson Stewart S, Weinstein P. Effect of motivational interviewing on rates of early childhood caries: a randomized trial. Pediatr Dent. 2007;29:16-22 pubmed..05). A motivational interviewing-style intervention shows promise to promote preventive behaviors in mothers of young children at high risk for caries. ..
- Little P, Kelly J, Barnett J, Dorward M, Margetts B, Warm D. Randomised controlled factorial trial of dietary advice for patients with a single high blood pressure reading in primary care. BMJ. 2004;328:1054 pubmed..Secondary analysis suggests that brief interventions-particularly lifestyle prompts-can make useful changes in diet and help control weight, which previous research indicates are likely to reduce the long term risk of stroke. ..
- Di Noia J, Schwinn T, Dastur Z, Schinke S. The relative efficacy of pamphlets, CD-ROM, and the Internet for disseminating adolescent drug abuse prevention programs: an exploratory study. Prev Med. 2003;37:646-53 pubmed..and policy-making bodies, 188 professionals were randomized to receive prevention program materials via pamphlets (55 participants), CD-ROM (64 participants), and the Internet (69 participants)...
- Roberts L, Little P, Chapman J, Cantrell T, Pickering R, Langridge J. The back home trial: general practitioner-supported leaflets may change back pain behavior. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2002;27:1821-8 pubmed..This has implications for the management of acute back pain, with potential health gain. ..
- Griffin J, McKenna K, Tooth L. Discrepancy between older clients' ability to read and comprehend and the reading level of written educational materials used by occupational therapists. Am J Occup Ther. 2006;60:70-80 pubmed..Content and design characteristics should be considered when developing written education materials for clients. ..
- McGregor A, Burton A, Sell P, Waddell G. The development of an evidence-based patient booklet for patients undergoing lumbar discectomy and un-instrumented decompression. Eur Spine J. 2007;16:339-46 pubmed..Feedback from the evaluations were favourable from both review groups, suggesting that this evidence-based approach to management is acceptable and it has clinical potential. ..
- Hunter J. Cervical cancer educational pamphlets: Do they miss the mark for Mexican immigrant women's needs?. Cancer Control. 2005;12 Suppl 2:42-50 pubmed..Findings show aspects of language, content, reading level, structure, and visual images in 22 cervical cancer pamphlets from 11 health care sites in a Midwest city were not relevant to the learning needs or health literacy levels of ..
- Coulton S, Perryman K, Bland M, Cassidy P, Crawford M, Deluca P, et al. Screening and brief interventions for hazardous alcohol use in accident and emergency departments: a randomised controlled trial protocol. BMC Health Serv Res. 2009;9:114 pubmed publisher..isrctn 93681536. ..
- Fick D, Maclean J, Rodriguez N, Short L, Heuvel R, Waller J, et al. A randomized study to decrease the use of potentially inappropriate medications among community-dwelling older adults in a southeastern managed care organization. Am J Manag Care. 2004;10:761-8 pubmed..This study describes a low-cost, replicable method to contact and educate physicians on drug therapy issues in older adults. ..
- Udermann B, Spratt K, Donelson R, Mayer J, Graves J, Tillotson J. Can a patient educational book change behavior and reduce pain in chronic low back pain patients?. Spine J. 2004;4:425-35 pubmed
- Samuel Hodge C, Keyserling T, Park S, Johnston L, Gizlice Z, Bangdiwala S. A randomized trial of a church-based diabetes self-management program for African Americans with type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Educ. 2009;35:439-54 pubmed publisher..The MI received standard educational pamphlets by mail. Outcomes were assessed at 8 and 12 months; the primary outcome was comparison of 8-month A1C levels...
- Francis N, Hood K, Simpson S, Wood F, Nuttall J, Butler C. The effect of using an interactive booklet on childhood respiratory tract infections in consultations: study protocol for a cluster randomised controlled trial in primary care. BMC Fam Pract. 2008;9:23 pubmed publisher..Current Controlled Trials ISRCTN46104365. ..
- Yardley L, Kirby S. Evaluation of booklet-based self-management of symptoms in Ménière disease: a randomized controlled trial. Psychosom Med. 2006;68:762-9 pubmed..This study examined the effectiveness of booklet-based education in vestibular rehabilitation (VR) and symptom control (SC) techniques to manage vertigo and dizziness in Ménière disease...
- Rees C, Ford J, Sheard C. Patient information leaflets for prostate cancer: which leaflets should healthcare professionals recommend?. Patient Educ Couns. 2003;49:263-72 pubmed..However, randomised controlled trials are needed to examine the impact of these booklets on the psychosocial outcomes of men with prostate cancer. ..
- Robinson A, Lee V, Kennedy A, Middleton L, Rogers A, Thompson D, et al. A randomised controlled trial of self-help interventions in patients with a primary care diagnosis of irritable bowel syndrome. Gut. 2006;55:643-8 pubmed..This suggests that patients attending their primary care physician with functional abdominal symptoms should be offered self-help information as part of their management. ..
- Little P, Rumsby K, Kelly J, Watson L, Moore M, Warner G, et al. Information leaflet and antibiotic prescribing strategies for acute lower respiratory tract infection: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2005;293:3029-35 pubmed
- Vries H, Mesters I, van de Steeg H, Honing C. The general public's information needs and perceptions regarding hereditary cancer: an application of the Integrated Change Model. Patient Educ Couns. 2005;56:154-65 pubmed..Education should outline the most important facts about hereditary cancer, how to get support, and create realistic expectations of the impact of genetic factors. ..
- Robbins H, Hundley V, Osman L. Minor illness education for parents of young children. J Adv Nurs. 2003;44:238-47 pubmed..Further work into the role of education in parental decision-making, anxiety levels and enhancement of confidence is required. ..
- Plotnikoff R, Brunet S, Courneya K, Spence J, Birkett N, Marcus B, et al. The efficacy of stage-matched and standard public health materials for promoting physical activity in the workplace: the Physical Activity Workplace Study (PAWS). Am J Health Promot. 2007;21:501-9 pubmed..Future interventions should explore the use of these intervention materials in conjunction with multilevel strategies, and particular attention should be paid to possible gender differences. ..
- Little P, Dorward M, Warner G, Moore M, Stephens K, Senior J, et al. Randomised controlled trial of effect of leaflets to empower patients in consultations in primary care. BMJ. 2004;328:441 pubmed..Doctors do, however, need to elicit expectations to prevent needless investigations. ..
- Weinstein P, Harrison R, Benton T. Motivating mothers to prevent caries: confirming the beneficial effect of counseling. J Am Dent Assoc. 2006;137:789-93 pubmed..The purpose of this study was to compare the effect of a motivational interviewing (MI) counseling visit with traditional health education for mothers of young children at high risk of developing dental caries...
- Finnie R, Felder T, Linder S, Mullen P. Beyond reading level: a systematic review of the suitability of cancer education print and Web-based materials. J Cancer Educ. 2010;25:497-505 pubmed publisher..We recommend more emphasis on the categories of suitability for those developing cancer education materials and more study of these categories and reliability and validity testing of instruments. ..
- Chang E, Easterbrook S, Hancock K, Johnson A, Davidson P. Evaluation of an information booklet for caregivers of people with dementia: an Australian perspective. Nurs Health Sci. 2010;12:45-51 pubmed publisher..The reported anxiety was thought to be part of a larger issue of dementia education and dealing with loss and not specifically related to the booklet itself. ..
- Corcoran N, Ahmad F. The readability and suitability of sexual health promotion leaflets. Patient Educ Couns. 2016;99:284-6 pubmed publisher..There are a number of areas where sexual health leaflets could improve their design. Numerous practical techniques are suggested for improving the readability and suitability of sexual health leaflets. ..
- Adler J, Paelecke Habermann Y, Jahn P, Landenberger M, Leplow B, Vordermark D. Patient information in radiation oncology: a cross-sectional pilot study using the EORTC QLQ-INFO26 module. Radiat Oncol. 2009;4:40 pubmed publisher..Brochures, television and internet were the most important media. Individual patient needs should be considered in the development of novel information strategies. ..
- Mares S, van der Vorst H, Lichtwarck Aschoff A, Schulten I, Verdurmen J, Otten R, et al. Effectiveness of the home-based alcohol prevention program "In control: no alcohol!": study protocol of a randomized controlled trial. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:622 pubmed publisher..When the prevention appears to be effective, it can easily and relatively quickly be implemented as a standard alcohol prevention program on a large scale. Nederlands Trial Register NTR2564. ..
- Rasky E, Groth S. Evidence-based information on mammography screening in Austria--reality or more pie in the sky?. Gesundheitswesen. 2013;75:e18-22 pubmed publisher..In this study, we analyse the content of the printed information material (brochures and pamphlets) on mammography screening for consumers that were distributed in Austria in 2011...
- Brooke R, Herbert N, Isherwood S, Knapp P, Raynor D. Balance appointment information leaflets: employing performance-based user-testing to improve understanding. Int J Audiol. 2013;52:162-8 pubmed publisher..PILs should be evaluated prior to use using performance-based methods, since poor information provision may lead to increased patient anxiety and appointment non-attendance, cancellation, or postponement. ..
- Garcia Retamero R, Cokely E. Advances in efficient health communication: promoting prevention and detection of STDs. Curr HIV Res. 2012;10:262-70 pubmed..Larger scale implementation of these and other theory-based, custom-tailored methods holds the promise of relatively inexpensive yet highly-effective systems for promoting prevention and detection of STDs. ..
- Gielen A, Shields W, McDonald E, Frattaroli S, Bishai D, Ma X. Home safety and low-income urban housing quality. Pediatrics. 2012;130:1053-9 pubmed publisher..Stronger collaboration between housing, health care, and injury prevention professionals is urgently needed to maximize opportunities to improve home safety. ..
- Eschalier B, Descamps S, Pereira B, Vaillant Roussel H, Girard G, Boisgard S, et al. Randomized blinded trial of standardized written patient information before total knee arthroplasty. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0178358 pubmed publisher..A study assessing the impact of the booklet combined with a exercise program would be helpful. Level I, randomized controlled double-blind trial; see S1 CONSORT Checklist. clinicaltrials.gov #NCT01747759. ..
- Kinnersley P, Phillips K, Savage K, Kelly M, Farrell E, Morgan B, et al. Interventions to promote informed consent for patients undergoing surgical and other invasive healthcare procedures. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD009445 pubmed publisher..Only one study attempted to measure informed consent as a unified concept. ..
- Lau D, Machizawa S, Demonte W, Cameron K, Muramatsu N, Henker R, et al. Colorectal cancer knowledge, attitudes, screening, and intergenerational communication among Japanese American families: an exploratory, community-based participatory study. J Cross Cult Gerontol. 2013;28:89-101 pubmed publisher..This community-based participatory research study explores if mailing educational pamphlets to Nikkei families can influence CRC knowledge, attitudes, and screening adherence; and trigger ..
- Thorsen H, Witt K, Brodersen J. [Too many difficult words in printed communications from the health-care system to laypeople]. Ugeskr Laeger. 2012;174:925-30 pubmed..Our study did not identify any rule or principle to predict which words laypeople understand. Consequently printed communications from the health-care system to laypeople must be pre-tested by end users to ensure comprehension. ..
- Mollaoğlu M, Tuncay F, Fertelli T, Yurugen B. Effect on anxiety of education programme about care of arteriovenous fistula in patients undergoing hemodialysis. J Vasc Access. 2012;13:152-6 pubmed publisher..This study investigated the impact of education, provided to individuals, in whom AV fistula was preferred as a vascular access, regarding information and anxiety...
- Wiener R, Wiener Pla R. Evaluation of educational material for tobacco prevention and cessation used in west virginia university dental programs. J Dent Hyg. 2011;85:204-10 pubmed..Dental professionals have access to current, quality tobacco cessation documents and should be aware of the need to evaluate the documents for appropriate literacy levels for various groups. ..
- Williams N, Amoakwa E, Belcher J, Edwards R, Hassani H, Hendry M, et al. Activity Increase Despite Arthritis (AÏDA): phase II randomised controlled trial of an active management booklet for hip and knee osteoarthritis in primary care. Br J Gen Pract. 2011;61:e452-8 pubmed publisher..This feasibility study provided proof of principle for testing The Hip & Knee Book in a larger definitive RCT. ..
- Kit Delgado M, Ginde A, Pallin D, Camargo C. Multicenter study of preferences for health education in the emergency department population. Acad Emerg Med. 2010;17:652-8 pubmed publisher..Future ED health education efforts may be optimized by taking into account the learning preferences of the target ED population. ..
- Secades Villa R, Alonso Pérez F, Garcia Rodriguez O, Fernandez Hermida J. Effectiveness of three intensities of smoking cessation treatment in primary care. Psychol Rep. 2009;105:747-58 pubmed..8% completed the program). The results appear to confirm a dose-response effect in the treatment of smokers and indicate satisfactory acceptability of intensive behavioral programs applied in primary care. ..