Summary: Copies of a work or document distributed to the public by sale, rental, lease, or lending. (From ALA Glossary of Library and Information Science, 1983, p181)
- Kira A, Glover M, Bullen C, Viehbeck S. Publications as an indicator of increased tobacco control research productivity (quantity and quality) in New Zealand. Nicotine Tob Res. 2011;13:474-8 pubmed publisher..of this paper was to investigate New Zealand's (NZ) TC research capacity along with the quantity and quality of publications, following two government initiatives aimed, in part, at improving the quantity and quality of NZ TC research...
- Boonacker C, Hoes A, van Liere Visser K, Schilder A, Rovers M. A comparison of subgroup analyses in grant applications and publications. Am J Epidemiol. 2011;174:219-25 pubmed publisherIn this paper, the authors compare subgroup analyses as outlined in grant applications and their related publications. Grants awarded by the Netherlands Organization for Health Research and Development (ZonMw) from 2001 onward that were ..
- Kesselheim A, Lee J, Avorn J, Servi A, Shrank W, Choudhry N. Conflict of interest in oncology publications: a survey of disclosure policies and statements. Cancer. 2012;118:188-95 pubmed publisher..Although most journals had some policy in this area, a substantial proportion did not publish disclosure statements consistently, with deficiencies particularly among editorials and commentaries. ..
- Fedder J, Nielsen G, Petersen L, Rasmussen C, Lauszus F, Frost L, et al. A substantial number of scientific publications originate from non-university hospitals. Dan Med Bull. 2011;58:A4332 pubmed..Original papers made up 69% of these publications versus 86% of publications with university affiliation on first or last place...
- Liu X, Wan X, Li Z. Ten-year survey on oncology publications from China and other top-ranking countries. Chin Med J (Engl). 2011;124:3314-9 pubmed..Also, by contrast with other top-ranking countries, these results imply that China falls behind the others in conducting high-quality oncology research. ..
- Qin B, Liang Y, Yang Z, Zhong R. Scientific publications on primary biliary cirrhosis from 2000 through 2010: an 11-year survey of the literature. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e35366 pubmed publisher..The number of articles from the US exceeded those from any other country; the publications from the US also had the highest IFs and the most citations...
- Pierannunzi C, Hu S, Balluz L. A systematic review of publications assessing reliability and validity of the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), 2004-2011. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2013;13:49 pubmed publisher..New analyses and comparisons of BRFSS data which include the new methodologies and cell phone data will be needed to ascertain the impact of these changes on estimates in the future. ..
- Davis A, Wiegers T, Johnson R, Lay J, Lennon Hopkins K, Saraceni Richards C, et al. Text mining effectively scores and ranks the literature for improving chemical-gene-disease curation at the comparative toxicogenomics database. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e58201 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate how fully incorporating text mining-based DRS scoring into our curation pipeline enhances manual curation by prioritizing more relevant articles, thereby increasing data content, productivity, and efficiency...
- Fontelo P, Liu F. Finding translational science publications in MEDLINE/PubMed with translational science filters. Clin Transl Sci. 2011;4:455-9 pubmed publisher..Using previously searched terms and standard formulas, the precision and recall of TSS were 0.99 and 0.47, compared to 0.58 and 1.0 for PubMed Entrez, respectively. ..
- Fang R, Schindelman G, Van Auken K, Fernandes J, Chen W, Wang X, et al. Automatic categorization of diverse experimental information in the bioscience literature. BMC Bioinformatics. 2012;13:16 pubmed publisher..We believe that the work presented here can contribute greatly to the tremendous task of automating the important yet labor-intensive biocuration effort. ..
- Andersen F, Douglas N, Bustos D, Galappaththy G, Qi G, Hsiang M, et al. Trends in malaria research in 11 Asian Pacific countries: an analysis of peer-reviewed publications over two decades. Malar J. 2011;10:131 pubmed publisher..The percentage of malaria-related publications was nearly 3% (111/3741) of all biomedical publications in 1992 and decreased to less than 1% (118/12171; p <..
- Wong G, Greenhalgh T, Westhorp G, Buckingham J, Pawson R. RAMESES publication standards: meta-narrative reviews. BMC Med. 2013;11:20 pubmed publisher..We hope that these standards will act as a resource that will contribute to improving the reporting of meta-narrative reviews. ..
- Ziegler A, Mietchen D, Faber C, von Hausen W, Schobel C, Sellerer M, et al. Effectively incorporating selected multimedia content into medical publications. BMC Med. 2011;9:17 pubmed publisherUntil fairly recently, medical publications have been handicapped by being restricted to non-electronic formats, effectively preventing the dissemination of complex audiovisual and three-dimensional data...
- Laurila J, Naderi N, Witte R, Riazanov A, Kouznetsov A, Baker C. Algorithms and semantic infrastructure for mutation impact extraction and grounding. BMC Genomics. 2010;11 Suppl 4:S24 pubmed publisher..The system is deployed using text mining and semantic web technologies with the goal of publishing to a broad spectrum of consumers. ..
- Suñé P, Suñé J, Montoro J. Positive outcomes influence the rate and time to publication, but not the impact factor of publications of clinical trial results. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e54583 pubmed publisher..dissemination of clinical trial findings, in terms of rate, time to publication, and impact factor of journal publications. All drug-evaluating clinical trials submitted to and approved by a general hospital ethics committee between ..
- Fuller C, Choi M, Thomas C. Bibliometric analysis of radiation oncology departmental scholarly publication productivity at domestic residency training institutions. J Am Coll Radiol. 2009;6:112-8 pubmed publisher..The average number of publications per department from 1996 to 2007 was 363.8, with a mean of 8,116...
- Ananiadou S, Kell D, Tsujii J. Text mining and its potential applications in systems biology. Trends Biotechnol. 2006;24:571-9 pubmed..By adding meaning to text, these techniques produce a more structured analysis of textual knowledge than simple word searches, and can provide powerful tools for the production and analysis of systems biology models. ..
- MacEachren A, Stryker M, Turton I, Pezanowski S. HEALTH GeoJunction: place-time-concept browsing of health publications. Int J Health Geogr. 2010;9:23 pubmed publisherThe volume of health science publications is escalating rapidly. Thus, keeping up with developments is becoming harder as is the task of finding important cross-domain connections...
- Gillen C, Vaughan J, Lye B. An online tutorial for helping nonscience majors read primary research literature in biology. Adv Physiol Educ. 2004;28:95-9 pubmed..Students used the tutorial outside of class to learn the basic principles involved in reading scientific papers, enabling class sessions to focus on active-learning activities and substantive class discussions. ..
- Schein M, Paladugu R. Redundant surgical publications: tip of the iceberg?. Surgery. 2001;129:655-61 pubmedA redundant publication is one which duplicates previous, simultaneous, or future publications by the same author or group or, alternatively, could have been combined with the latter into one paper...
- Bennett S, Adam T, Zarowsky C, Tangcharoensathien V, Ranson K, Evans T, et al. From Mexico to Mali: progress in health policy and systems research. Lancet. 2008;372:1571-8 pubmed publisher..Recommendations from the summit in Mexico remain pertinent, and momentum towards their achievement must be accelerated through the ministerial forum in Mali and beyond. ..
- Ugolini D, Mela G. Oncological research overview in the European Union. A 5-year survey. Eur J Cancer. 2003;39:1888-94 pubmed..Variety in the use of keywords should be avoided, and journal editors should encourage their standardisation. ..
- Dickman S. Tough mining: the challenges of searching the scientific literature. PLoS Biol. 2003;1:E48 pubmed
- Theologis A, Davis R. To give or not to give? That is the question. Plant Physiol. 2004;135:4-9 pubmed
- Eismont F. Misrepresentation of research publications among orthopaedic surgery fellowship applicants: a comparison with documented misrepresentations in other fields. Spine (Phila Pa 1986). 2003;28:631 pubmed
- Xiong C, Tang Y, van Belle G, Miller J, Launer L, Morris J. Evaluating the quality of longitudinal statistical applications in original publications on Alzheimer's disease. Neuroepidemiology. 2008;30:112-9 pubmed publisher..All items were extensively discussed within the team for content validity. After pilot testing on 5 publications, the instrument was revised and tested for reliability with a sample of 40 published longitudinal AD studies ..
- Johnson C. Repetitive, duplicate, and redundant publications: a review for authors and readers. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2006;29:505-9 pubmedRepetitive, duplicate, and redundant publications are an important concern in the scientific literature. Their occurrence affects science and carries with it sanctions of consequence...
- Witte R, Kappler T, Baker C. Enhanced semantic access to the protein engineering literature using ontologies populated by text mining. Int J Bioinform Res Appl. 2007;3:389-413 pubmed..We demonstrate the feasibility of this approach with a system targeting the protein mutation literature. ..
- Weisinger J, Bellorin Font E. Latin American nephrology: scientific production and impact of the publications. Kidney Int. 1999;56:1584-90 pubmed..We examined the number and impact of peer-reviewed publications from Latin America included in the Institute of Scientific Information (ISI) and MEDLINE databases...
- Zhou G, Wen X, Liu H, Schlicht M, Hessner M, Tonellato P, et al. B.E.A.R. GeneInfo: a tool for identifying gene-related biomedical publications through user modifiable queries. BMC Bioinformatics. 2004;5:46 pubmed..The subsequent output provides a list of publications, along with the associated reference hyperlinks, for reviewing the identified articles for relevance and ..
- Araujo K, Mourão P, Leta J. Balance between education- and research-oriented publications from a Brazilian University Hospital. Braz J Med Biol Res. 2005;38:1285-91 pubmed..A total of 1420 publications were classified according to pattern and visibility...
- Ramsey S, Scoggins J. Commentary: practicing on the tip of an information iceberg? Evidence of underpublication of registered clinical trials in oncology. Oncologist. 2008;13:925-9 pubmed publisher..gov have been published in peer-reviewed journals. Research sponsors, researchers, and journal editors should redouble their efforts to encourage publication of registered clinical trials in oncology. ..
- Cheng K, Preston C, Ashby D, O Hea U, Smyth R. Time to publication as full reports of abstracts of randomized controlled trials in cystic fibrosis. Pediatr Pulmonol. 1998;26:101-5 pubmed..Therefore, many potentially valuable studies do not reach a wide audience. However, we found no consistent factors which might delay or prevent publication. ..
- Hirsch J. Does the H index have predictive power?. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:19193-8 pubmed..We discuss reasons for the superiority of the h index. ..
- Sorrentino D, De Biase F, Trevisi A, Bartoli E. Scientific publications in gastroenterology and hepatology in Western Europe, USA and Japan in the years 1992-1996: a global survey. Digestion. 2000;61:77-83 pubmedTo evaluate number and quality of publications in gastroenterology, hepatology and digestive endoscopy from Western Europe (Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland), Japan and ..
- Pich J, Carne X, Arnaiz J, Gómez B, Trilla A, Rodes J. Role of a research ethics committee in follow-up and publication of results. Lancet. 2003;361:1015-6 pubmed..RECs should devote more effort and resources to assess public dissemination of results of clinical trials. ..
- Druss B, Marcus S. Tracking publication outcomes of National Institutes of Health grants. Am J Med. 2005;118:658-63 pubmed..This study examines when and how grants funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) lead to publications. Data on all investigator-initiated R01 grants funded during 1996 (n = 18211) were extracted from the NIH's ..
- Al Aboud F, Al Aboud K, Al Hawsawi K, Ramesh V. Dermatological publications in the Gulf Cooperation Council countries. An analysis of 1966-2004 Medline papers. Saudi Med J. 2004;25:1652-5 pubmedTo investigate the publications in dermatology cited in the Medline from 6 countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) from 1966 to 2004...
- Street J, Lenehan B, Fisher C. The quality of quality of life publications in the spinal literature: are we getting any better?. J Neurosurg Spine. 2009;11:512-7 pubmed publisher..This study is a systematic review of the quality of life (QOL) publications to determine if the recent interest in QOL measurements following spinal surgery has been accompanied by an ..
- Fischbacher C, Bhopal R, Steiner M, Morris A, Chalmers J. Is there equity of service delivery and intermediate outcomes in South Asians with type 2 diabetes? Analysis of DARTS database and summary of UK publications. J Public Health (Oxf). 2009;31:239-49 pubmed publisher..The finding of higher HbA1c and more retinopathy among South Asians needs explanation and a service response. These findings from a region with a small non-White population largely support the recent findings from other parts of the UK. ..
- Errami M, Wren J, Hicks J, Garner H. eTBLAST: a web server to identify expert reviewers, appropriate journals and similar publications. Nucleic Acids Res. 2007;35:W12-5 pubmed..These services are freely accessible through the Internet at http://invention.swmed.edu/etblast/etblast.shtml, where users can upload a file or paste text such as an abstract into the browser interface. ..
- Guenther J. Mapping the literature of nursing informatics. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006;94:E92-8 pubmed..The 1998 journal references were compared in CINAHL, PubMed/MEDLINE, Science Citation Index, and OCLC Article First. PubMed/MEDLINE had the highest indexing score. ..
- Chen D, Muller H, Sternberg P. Automatic document classification of biological literature. BMC Bioinformatics. 2006;7:370 pubmed..We have demonstrated this by presenting a web interface that allows researchers to quickly navigate through the hierarchy and look for documents that belong to a specific concept. ..
- Caporaso J, Baumgartner W, Randolph D, Cohen K, Hunter L. MutationFinder: a high-performance system for extracting point mutation mentions from text. Bioinformatics. 2007;23:1862-5 pubmed..Implementations, source code and unit tests are available in Python, Perl and Java. MutationFinder can be used as a stand-alone script, or imported by other applications. http://bionlp.sourceforge.net. ..
- Mika S, Rost B. NLProt: extracting protein names and sequences from papers. Nucleic Acids Res. 2004;32:W634-7 pubmed..bioc.columbia.edu/services/NLProt/). Input can be PubMed/MEDLINE identifiers, authors, titles and journals, as well as collections of abstracts, or entire papers. ..
- Allen L, Jones C, Dolby K, Lynn D, Walport M. Looking for landmarks: the role of expert review and bibliometric analysis in evaluating scientific publication outputs. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e5910 pubmed publisher..of research quality and importance, and especially not for assessing single papers or small groups of research publications. When attempting to assess the quality and importance of research papers, we found that sole reliance on ..
- Namdari S, Baldwin K, Weinraub B, Mehta S. Changes in the number of resident publications after inception of the 80-hour work week. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2010;468:2278-83 pubmed publisher..of work-hour restrictions has influenced resident academic performance as defined by quantity of peer-reviewed publications while participating in graduate medical education...
- Williamson P, Gamble C, Altman D, Hutton J. Outcome selection bias in meta-analysis. Stat Methods Med Res. 2005;14:515-24 pubmed
- Guryel E, Durrant A, Alakeson R, Ricketts D. From presentation to publication: the natural history of orthopaedic abstracts in the United Kingdom. Postgrad Med J. 2006;82:70-2 pubmed..It is questionable whether the inclusion of such results from abstracts presented at international meetings by major orthopaedic textbooks should be undertaken before full text publication. ..
- Gaizauskas R, Demetriou G, Artymiuk P, Willett P. Protein structures and information extraction from biological texts: the PASTA system. Bioinformatics. 2003;19:135-43 pubmed..dcs.shef.ac.uk/nlp/pasta/. The evaluation resources (manually annotated corpora) are also available through the website: http://www.dcs.shef.ac.uk/nlp/pasta/results.html. ..