Summary: The means of interchanging or transmitting and receiving information. Historically the media were written: books, journals, newspapers, and other publications; in the modern age the media include, in addition, radio, television, computers, and information networks.
- Collins J. Health issues in journalism and reporting. Occup Med. 2001;16:583-94, iv pubmed..Some of the more common risks within the profession include those relating to travel, repetitive strain, and psychological stress. ..
- Street R. Mediated consumer-provider communication in cancer care: the empowering potential of new technologies. Patient Educ Couns. 2003;50:99-104 pubmed
- Huesmann L. The impact of electronic media violence: scientific theory and research. J Adolesc Health. 2007;41:S6-13 pubmed..Finally the size of the "media violence effect" is compared with some other well-known threats to society to estimate how important a threat it should be considered. ..
- Blacksher E, Christopher M. On the road to reform: advocacy and activism in end-of-life care. J Palliat Med. 2002;5:13-22 pubmed
- Micieli R, Micieli J. Twitter as a tool for ophthalmologists. Can J Ophthalmol. 2012;47:410-3 pubmed publisher..Overall, Twitter is an underutilized resource in ophthalmology and has the potential to enhance professional collegiality, advocacy, and scientific research. ..
- Cain M, Mitroff S. Distractor filtering in media multitaskers. Perception. 2011;40:1183-92 pubmed
- Chu L, Chan B. Evolution of web site design: implications for medical education on the Internet. Comput Biol Med. 1998;28:459-72 pubmed
- ..One of these risks, known today as cyberbullying or Internet harassment, is scrutinized in detail. ..
- Ritterfeld U, Jin S. Addressing media stigma for people experiencing mental illness using an entertainment-education strategy. J Health Psychol. 2006;11:247-67 pubmed..Implications of this study to the mental health research and the design of Entertainment-Education contents are discussed. ..
- Le Bourg E. Gerontologists and the media in a time of gerontology expansion. Biogerontology. 2000;1:89-92 pubmed..It is concluded that it is prudent for gerontologists to maintain a cautious attitude with the media. ..
- Pattishall A, Spector N. Endocrine disruptors, travel-associated illness, and media violence: important health considerations for children and adolescents. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2010;22:814-21 pubmed publisher..Pediatricians need to stay abreast of recent findings and have access to up-to-date resources to assist them in providing contemporary advice and guidance to patients and families. ..
- Looney R, Ramsey E. Multimedia bootcamp: encouraging faculty to integrate technology in teaching. Med Ref Serv Q. 2006;25:87-92 pubmed
- Sherr L, Mueller J, Fox Z. Abandoned babies in the UK - a review utilizing media reports. Child Care Health Dev. 2009;35:419-30 pubmed publisher..If the future well-being of mother and baby are to be catered for, clearer evidence-based policy and provision is vital. ..
- Bushman B, Huesmann L. Short-term and long-term effects of violent media on aggression in children and adults. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2006;160:348-52 pubmed..In contrast, long-term effects require the learning (encoding) of scripts, schemas, or beliefs. Children can encode new scripts, schemas, and beliefs via observational learning with less interference and effort than adults. ..
- Watson J, Tomar S, Dodd V, Logan H, Choi Y. Effectiveness of a social marketing media campaign to reduce oral cancer racial disparities. J Natl Med Assoc. 2009;101:774-82 pubmed..A theory-driven media campaign was successful in increasing awareness of the oral cancer exam and interest in the exam among blacks/African Americans. ..
- Owusu Ofori S, Asenso Mensah K, Boateng P, Sarkodie F, Allain J. Fostering repeat donations in Ghana. Biologicals. 2010;38:47-52 pubmed publisher..The impact of community leaders in propagating altruism cannot be overemphasized. Programs aiming at motivating replacement donors to be repeat donors should be developed and assessed. ..
- Upadhyay S, Kumar A, Raghuvanshi R, Singh B. Impact of nutrition education on knowledge and haemoglobin status of hill women in Uttarakhand State of India. Malays J Nutr. 2011;17:347-57 pubmed..Calendars and video films are effective in increasing nutrition knowledge of illiterate hill women. Use of mass media programmes of longer duration should be encouraged to combat the nutritional problems of rural communities. ..
- Agaku I, King B, Dube S. Trends in exposure to pro-tobacco advertisements over the Internet, in newspapers/magazines, and at retail stores among U.S. middle and high school students, 2000-2012. Prev Med. 2014;58:45-52 pubmed publisher..Enhanced and sustained efforts would be beneficial to reduce even more exposure to all forms of pro-tobacco advertisements among youths. ..
- Worsley A. How to improve the impact of nutrition guidance by general physicians: public health versus individual patient?. Eur J Clin Nutr. 1999;53 Suppl 2:S101-7 pubmed..They suggest that current nutrition goals are one subset of a wider range of possibilities. Finally, several courses of action are proposed which may improve family physicians' impact on patients' lives. ..
- Fernández Celemín L, Jung A. What should be the role of the media in nutrition communication?. Br J Nutr. 2006;96 Suppl 1:S86-8 pubmed..The present article examines what the role of the media and scientists should be in bringing scientific communication to the public and how this communication could be improved. ..
- Lundberg G. Is there a place for medical blogs in a medical media company?. MedGenMed. 2005;7:5 pubmed
- Horwitz L, Parwani V, Shah N, Schuur J, Meredith T, Jenq G, et al. Evaluation of an asynchronous physician voicemail sign-out for emergency department admissions. Ann Emerg Med. 2009;54:368-78 pubmed publisher..However, interaction among participants was reduced. Voicemail sign-out may be an efficient means of improving sign-out communication for stable ED admissions. ..
- Collier B, Blackstone S, Taylor A. Communication access to businesses and organizations for people with complex communication needs. Augment Altern Commun. 2012;28:205-18 pubmed publisher..Recommendations are made for communication accessibility accommodations in regulations, guidelines, and practices. ..
- Rouseff D, Badiey M, Song A. Effect of reflected and refracted signals on coherent underwater acoustic communication: results from the Kauai experiment (KauaiEx 2003). J Acoust Soc Am. 2009;126:2359-66 pubmed publisher..At range of 2 km, ray refraction is observed and communications performance is optimal when some paths with two sea-surface reflections are retained. ..
- Baker C, Staiano A, Calvert S. Digital expression among urban, low-income African American adolescents. J Black Stud. 2011;42:530-47 pubmed
- Criss S, Cheung L, Giles C, Gortmaker S, Viswanath K, Kwass J, et al. Media Competition Implementation for the Massachusetts Childhood Obesity Research Demonstration Study (MA-CORD): Adoption and Reach. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016;13:403 pubmed publisher..Adoption of the media competitions ranged from 22% to 100% in programs and reach ranged from 3% to 33% of the student population. The documentation of the implementation should contribute to the replication of the media competition. ..
- Idelson B. [Chikungunya crisis on Reunion Island. Media coverage and conflicting public information]. Med Trop (Mars). 2012;72 Spec No:25-8 pubmed..Based on the feedback principle, the article suggests a relationship between this situation and information provided to the public about the crisis. ..
- Shanley D, Dowling P, Claffey N, Nattestad A. European convergence towards higher standards in dental education: the DentEd Thematic Network Project. Med Educ. 2002;36:186-92 pubmed..This has extended to include 75% of dental schools from North America and plans for extension to South-east Asia will bring a major meeting to Singapore in April 2002. ..
- Skinner H, Biscope S, Poland B, Goldberg E. How adolescents use technology for health information: implications for health professionals from focus group studies. J Med Internet Res. 2003;5:e32 pubmed..The findings can inform the design and more-effective use of eHealth applications for adolescent populations. ..
- MacLennan A, Taylor A, Wilson D. Hormone therapy use after the Women's Health Initiative. Climacteric. 2004;7:138-42 pubmed..Nearly half of those who stopped HT in 2002 have since restarted. Media reporting greatly influences the use of hormonal therapies. ..
- Taback N, Coupland R. Towards collation and modelling of the global cost of armed violence on civilians. Med Confl Surviv. 2005;21:19-27 pubmed..The method could also help uphold the laws of war and human rights. ..
- Gonsalves C, Pichora Fuller M. The effect of hearing loss and hearing aids on the use of information and communication technologies by community-living older adults. Can J Aging. 2008;27:145-57 pubmed publisher..Recommendations are made for future research, health education programs, and universal design. ..
- Rubin G, Potts H, Michie S. The impact of communications about swine flu (influenza A H1N1v) on public responses to the outbreak: results from 36 national telephone surveys in the UK. Health Technol Assess. 2010;14:183-266 pubmed publisher..When levels of worry are generally low, acting to increase the volume of mass media and advertising coverage is likely to increase the perceived efficacy of recommended behaviours, which, in turn, is likely to increase their uptake. ..
- Biancarosa G, Griffiths G. Technology tools to support reading in the digital age. Future Child. 2012;22:139-60 pubmed
- Koster M, Politis Norton H. Crisis management strategies. Drug Saf. 2004;27:603-8 pubmed..Image is very important and should therefore not be risked. Crisis and issue management should therefore be integrated in every company's philosophy and standard operating procedures. ..
- McKenzie S. As health bodies begin to engage with the press in earnest. J R Soc Promot Health. 2008;128:151 pubmed
- Jernigan D. Framing a public health debate over alcohol advertising: the Center on Alcohol Marketing and Youth 2002-2008. J Public Health Policy. 2011;32:165-79 pubmed publisher..Combining a steady stream of reports and peer-reviewed articles with state and federal organizing and media advocacy, the Center re-framed a policy debate over alcohol marketing and youth, enabling measurable progress. ..
- Jukic V. (Re)Integration of mental patients - mixed media messages. Psychiatr Danub. 2008;20:433-6 pubmed..However, the Croatian media often give out the so called mixed messages when it comes to treating mental patients. This article analyzes such contradictory communication and attempts to offer certain solutions. ..
- Greenhow C. Youth as content producers in a niche social network site. New Dir Youth Dev. 2010;2010:55-63 pubmed publisher..Links between youth's online contributions and their interest, self-expression, social connections, and civic involvement are discussed. ..
- van Walree P, Jenserud T, Otnes R. Stretched-exponential Doppler spectra in underwater acoustic communication channels. J Acoust Soc Am. 2010;128:EL329-34 pubmed publisher..The stretched exponential also fits well to the broadband spectrum of a single propagation path, and narrowband spectra summed over all paths. ..
- Morgan E, Blume A, Carroll R. A cluster of infectious syphilis among young heterosexuals in south-east Hampshire. Int J STD AIDS. 2011;22:512-3 pubmed publisher..Evaluation of awareness raising to both the target age group and health care professionals indicated that the strategies employed did not increase testing and had limited impact on young people in terms of seeking further information. ..
- Brennan K, Monroy Hernández A, Resnick M. Making projects, making friends: online community as catalyst for interactive media creation. New Dir Youth Dev. 2010;2010:75-83 pubmed publisher..We argue that the most exciting interactive media creation and valuable learning experiences are taking place in the middle space, where participants draw on the best of socializing and creating practices. ..
- Gasink L, Linkin D, Fishman N, Bilker W, Weiner M, Lautenbach E. Stockpiling drugs for an avian influenza outbreak: examining the surge in oseltamivir prescriptions during heightened media coverage of the potential for a worldwide pandemic. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2009;30:370-6 pubmed publisher..Promoting appropriate prescribing practices among providers may be a better means by which to minimize personal stockpiling. ..
- Thompson T. Supply and demand: the shifting expectations of forensic anthropology in the United Kingdom. Sci Justice. 2003;43:183-6 pubmed
- Yee L, Simon M. The role of the social network in contraceptive decision-making among young, African American and Latina women. J Adolesc Health. 2010;47:374-80 pubmed publisher..Comprehensive contraception counseling should explore the experiences and opinions of the patient's social network to the extent possible. ..
- Unluturk M. Manual nurse messaging with patient information using a mobile whiteboard system. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2013;110:441-6 pubmed publisher..Nurses can use this information to improve the staff communication, do the planning, and see the bed occupancy status in their nursing units. ..
- Sagrestano L, Heiss Wendt R, Mizan A, Kittleson M, Sarvela P. Sources of HIV-prevention information for individuals at high risk. Am J Health Behav. 2001;25:545-56 pubmed..As multifaceted approaches to intervention allow for more comprehensive dissemination, interventions can be tailored to the targeted risk group by using sources shown most effective for each group. ..
- Darzentas N, Goldovsky L, Ouzounis C, Karapiperis K, Karapiperis C. Science communication media for scientists and the public. EMBO Rep. 2007;8:886-7 pubmed
- Hoffmann M, Hammar M, Kjellgren K, Lindh Astrand L, Brynhildsen J. Changes in women's attitudes towards and use of hormone therapy after HERS and WHI. Maturitas. 2005;52:11-7 pubmed..Media were a more frequent source of information than health care personnel. This indicates that media reports about major clinical studies might have influenced the use of HT among women. ..
- Brandacher G, Piza Katzer H, Gabl M, Hussl H, Rieger M, Schocke M, et al. The Innsbruck hand transplant program: update at 8 years after the first transplant. Transplant Proc. 2009;41:491-4 pubmed publisher..Despite immunologic challenging postoperative courses, patients are now free of rejection with moderate levels of IS and good functional results. No signs indicating chronic rejection have been encountered. ..