Genomes and Genes
Summary: Shortened forms of written words or phrases used for brevity.
Publications215 found, 100 shown here
- Educational interventions to reduce use of unsafe abbreviationsMohammed E Abushaiqa
Medication Department, Medical Supply, General Administration of Medical Services Ministry of Interior, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:1170-3. 2007Educational interventions to reduce the use of abbreviations and dosage designations that were deemed unsafe at a level 1 trauma center are described.
- Creating an online dictionary of abbreviations from MEDLINEJeffrey T Chang
Department of Genetics, Stanford Medical Informatics, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:612-20. 2002..One such challenge derives from the common and uncontrolled use of abbreviations in the literature. Each additional abbreviation increases the effective size of the vocabulary for a field...
- SaRAD: a Simple and Robust Abbreviation DictionaryEytan Adar
HP Laboratories, 1501 Page Mill Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Bioinformatics 20:527-33. 2004..Due to recent interest in the use of textual material to augment traditional experiments it has become necessary to automatically cluster, classify and filter natural language information...
- Heuristics for identification of acronym-definition patterns within text: towards an automated construction of comprehensive acronym-definition dictionariesJ D Wren
Program in Genetics and Development, Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Methods Inf Med 41:426-34. 2002..It also aids users in identifying acronym/definition variants present in the literature that may not necessarily be in biomedical databases...
- Resolving abbreviations to their senses in MedlineS Gaudan
European Bioinformatics Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK
Bioinformatics 21:3658-64. 2005Biological literature contains many abbreviations with one particular sense in each document. However, most abbreviations do not have a unique sense across the literature...
- Mapping abbreviations to full forms in biomedical articlesHong Yu
Department of Medical Informatics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:262-72. 2002To develop methods that automatically map abbreviations to their full forms in biomedical articles.
- ALICE: an algorithm to extract abbreviations from MEDLINEHiroko Ao
Department of Computational Biology, University of Tokyo CB01, 5 1 5, Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa shi, Chiba, 277 8561, Japan
J Am Med Inform Assoc 12:576-86. 2005To help biomedical researchers recognize dynamically introduced abbreviations in biomedical literature, such as gene and protein names, we have constructed a support system called ALICE (Abbreviation LIfter using Corpus-based Extraction)...
- Calculations for new prescribersMeriel Hutton
Faculty of Health and Community Care, University of Central England, Birmingham
Nurs Stand 17:47-52; quiz 54-5. 2003..Mistakes in calculation can lead to potentially dangerous prescribing errors. This article takes the nurse prescriber through some basic calculations and points out the possible pitfalls...
- Building an abbreviation dictionary using a term recognition approachNaoaki Okazaki
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8651, Japan
Bioinformatics 22:3089-95. 2006..Acronyms result from a highly productive type of term variation and trigger the need for an acronym dictionary to establish associations between acronyms and their expanded forms...
- Look-alike, sound-alike oncology medicationsLisa Schulmeister
Clin J Oncol Nurs 10:35-41. 2006..Poor handwriting, abbreviations of medication names, unclear verbal medication orders, memory lapses, and the large volume of medications ..
- Automatic resolution of ambiguous terms based on machine learning and conceptual relations in the UMLSHongfang Liu
City University of New York, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:621-36. 2002..However, manual annotation of a corpus is an expensive task. We propose an automatic method that constructs sense-tagged corpora for ambiguous terms in the UMLS using MEDLINE abstracts...
- A multi-aspect comparison study of supervised word sense disambiguationHongfang Liu
Department of Information Systems, University of Maryland at Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 11:320-31. 2004....
- Teaching tips: do your CATS PRrr?: a mnemonic device to teach safety checks for administering intravenous medicationsDonna Lucas Schumacher
Mayo School of Health Sciences, Affiliated Nursing Programs, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Contin Educ Nurs 36:104-6. 2005....
- Dangerous abbreviations: "U" can make a difference!Christine Koczmara
Dynamics 16:11-5. 2005Dangerous abbreviations are also known as "error-prone abbreviations"...
- Computerised versus handwritten recordsMandi Whyte
Royal Liverpool Children s Hospital, Alder Hey
Paediatr Nurs 17:15-8. 2005..Nurses require regular training to reinforce record keeping knowledge and skills: this has been incorporated into the hospital's mandatory training programme...
- Medical slang in British hospitalsAdam T Fox
St Mary s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ethics Behav 13:173-89. 2003..The colloquial vocabulary is further described and a comprehensive glossary of common UK terms provided in appendix. This forms the first list of slang terms currently in use throughout the British medical establishment...
- Abbreviations and symbols in peptide science: a revised guide and commentaryJohn H Jones
J Pept Sci 12:1-12. 2006The abbreviations and symbols used in Peptide Science are surveyed, with comment and recommendations.
- Increased bacterial burden and infection: the story of NERDS and STONESR Gary Sibbald
Public Health Sciences and Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Adv Skin Wound Care 19:447-61; quiz 461-3. 2006..2. Identify signs of infection in the chronic wound and applicable diagnostic tests. 3. Describe appropriate treatment for the infected chronic wound...
- Critical illness during pregnancy: considerations for evaluation and treatment of the fetus as the second patientKathleen Rice Simpson
St John s Mercy Medical Center, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
Crit Care Nurs Q 29:20-31. 2006....
- Critical components of a sleep assessment for clinical practice settingsKathryn A Lee
Department of Family Health Care Nursing, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Issues Ment Health Nurs 26:739-50. 2005..This article provides advanced practice nurses with a brief sleep assessment guide for use in psychiatric practice with adults or children...
- Using humor to teach postpartum topicsDolores Graceffa
Lawrence Memorial Regis College Nursing Program, Medford, Massachusetts, USA
J Nurs Educ 44:340. 2005..I have found that these two hands-on activities--demonstration and return demonstration, and roleplaying of a postpartum woman--help promote learning in a relaxed environment...
- Using the seven A's to determine older adults' community resource needsMarie Truglio-Londrigan
Pace University, Lienhard School of Nursing, Pleasantville, NY 10570, USA
Home Healthc Nurse 21:827-31. 2003....
- Mapping of medical acronyms and initialisms to Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) across selected systemsMary Shultz
Library of the Health Sciences Urbana, University of Illinois at Chicago, 102 Medical Sciences Building, 506 South Mathews, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:410-4. 2006..The purpose of this study is to evaluate how various MEDLINE Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) interfaces map acronyms and initialisms to the MeSH vocabulary...
- Paxillin interactionsC E Turner
Dept of Cell and Developmental Biology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY13210, USA
J Cell Sci 113:4139-40. 2000..Others, such as the E6 protein from Papillomavirus, facilitate transformation by disrupting the normal links between paxillin and the actin cytoskeleton by displacing paxillin-LD-motif-binding proteins...
- Prescribing and dispensing activities at the health facilities of a non-governmental organizationA Hazra
Community Development Medicinal, Unit Documentation Centre, Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Natl Med J India 13:177-82. 2000..Prescribing and dispensing surveys are pre-requisites to achieving rational drug use. There is a dearth of such studies in India, particularly in the non-governmental organization sector...
- Potassium channel-blockers as therapeutic agents to interfere with bone resorption of periodontal diseaseP Valverde
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, One Kneeland Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Dent Res 84:488-99. 2005..3 and IKCa1 to ameliorate the clinical signs or side-effects of several immunological disorders and to decrease inflammatory bone resorption in periodontal disease...
- Differentiation between the complement modulating effects of an arabinogalactan-protein from Echinacea purpurea and heparinSusanne Alban
Institute of Pharmacy, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Planta Med 68:1118-24. 2002..b>Abbreviations. AGP:arabinogalactan-protein AGP-hydr...
- Scoring mandibular fractures: a tool for staging diagnosis, planning treatment, and predicting prognosisFrancesco Carinci
Department of DMCCC, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Trauma 66:215-9. 2009..A staging system for classifying MF is of paramount importance to plan surgery, to define prognosis, and to exchange information among trauma centers. In this article, a classification for MF is proposed...
- Orbital fractures: a new classification and staging of 190 patientsFrancesco Carinci
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 17:1040-4. 2006..Here, a classification for OF that can be summarized with four abbreviations is proposed...
- The initial appearance of the cranial nerves and related neuronal migration in staged human embryosFabiola Müller
School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Calif, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 193:215-38. 2011..visceral afferent, visceral efferent, pharyngeal efferent, and somatic efferent, together with appropriate abbreviations. The cardiac and hypoglossal neural crests are included, and it is emphasized that all the ectodermal placodes ..
- Proposal for a revised taxonomy of the family Filoviridae: classification, names of taxa and viruses, and virus abbreviationsJens H Kuhn
Integrated Research Facility at Fort Detrick, Division of Clinical Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, National Interagency Biodefense Campus, B 8200 Research Plaza, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Arch Virol 155:2083-103. 2010..several times since the discovery of its members, resulting in a plethora of species and virus names and abbreviations. The current taxonomy has only been partially accepted by most laboratory virologists...
- Engineered protein scaffolds for molecular recognitionA Skerra
Lehrstuhl fur Biologische Chemie, Technische Universitat Munchen, D 85350 Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
J Mol Recognit 13:167-87. 2000..c) 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. Abbreviations used: ABD albumin-binding domain of protein G APPI Alzheimer's amyloid beta-protein precursor inhibitor BBP ..
- Biological approaches to bone regeneration by gene therapyR T Franceschi
University of Michigan School of Dentistry, 1011 N University Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1078, USA
J Dent Res 84:1093-103. 2005..b>Abbreviations used: BMP, bone morphogenetic protein; FGF, fibroblast growth factor; AER, apical ectodermal ridge; ZPA, zone ..
- Impact of computerised chemotherapy prescriptions on the prevention of medication errorsMaría J Huertas Fernández
Pharmacy Clinical Management Unit Puerta del Mar University Hospital Cádiz Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 8:821-5. 2006..The authors sought to evaluate the impact of computerised chemotherapy prescription on the reduction of medication errors. The purpose of this study was to assess the incidence of errors present in electronic versus manual prescription...
- [Errors in hospital prescriptions of high-alert medications]Mário Borges Rosa
Fundação Hospitalar do Estado de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 43:490-8. 2009..The objective of the study was to evaluate the practice of prescribing high-alert medications and its association with the prevalence of medication errors in hospital settings...
- Differences in activity of cytochrome C oxidase in brain between sleep and wakefulnessElena V Nikonova
Center for Sleep and Respiratory Neurobiology, School of Medicine, Hospital of the Univesity of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
Sleep 28:21-7. 2005....
- Descriptive analysis of primary package labels from commercially available prescription solid oral dosage form drugsTodd E Chermak
Department of Pharmacy Administration, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois, Chicago 60612 7231, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 49:399-406. 2009..To describe formats used by manufacturers to display drug names on primary package labels for prescription solid oral dosage forms...
- Brain histamine H receptor occupancy of orally administered antihistamines measured by positron emission tomography with (11)C-doxepin in a placebo-controlled crossover study design in healthy subjects: a comparison of olopatadine and ketotifenManabu Tashiro
Department of Pharmacology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Br J Clin Pharmacol 61:16-26. 2006..The purpose of the present study is to measure histamine H(1) receptor (H(1)R) occupancy due to olopatadine, a new second-generation antihistamine and to compare it with that of ketotifen...
- Flavin adenine dinucleotide status and the effects of high-dose riboflavin treatment in short-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiencyBianca T van Maldegem
Department of Pediatrics, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 67:304-8. 2010..As our study could not demonstrate a clinically relevant effect of riboflavin, general use of riboflavin cannot be recommended...
- Meeting Report:The 7th ESPE Growth Plate Working Group Symposium - EUROGROP June 27th 2007, Helsinki, FinlandRazvan L Miclea
Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 5:680-5. 2007..This report summarizes the data presented and provides some comments on each of the presentations. Abbreviations: 11beta-HSD: 11 Beta-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase; Agc: Aggrecan; Aln: Alendronate; Asb- 4: Ankyrin Repeat and ..
- Differences in arrhythmogenicity between the canine right ventricular outflow tract and anteroinferior right ventricle in a model of Brugada syndromeHiroshi Morita
Department of Medicine, Krannert Institute of Cardiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Heart Rhythm 4:66-74. 2007..The Brugada syndrome is characterized by ST-segment elevation on the ECG, especially in the right precordial leads sensitive to the right ventricular outflow tract (RVOT)...
- Strongyloides stercoralis: high worm population density leads to autoinfection in the jird (Meriones unguiculatus)Thomas J Nolan
Department of Pathobiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, 3800 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6050, USA
Exp Parasitol 100:173-8. 2002..Index Descriptors and Abbreviations. Nematode; Strongyloides stercoralis; Mongolian gerbil; Meriones unguiculatus; autoinfection; larval ..
- Molecular genetic survey of European mistletoe (Viscum album) subspecies with allele-specific and dCAPS type markers specific for chloroplast and nuclear DNA sequencesArkadiusz Piotrowski
Department of Biology and Pharmaceutical Botany, Medical University of Gdansk, Gdansk, Poland
Planta Med 69:939-44. 2003..b>Abbreviations. dCAPS:derived Cleaved Amplified Polymorphic Sequence ITS1&2:Internal Transcribed Spacers 1&2 MAMA:..
- Control of asthma for reducing the risk of bronchospasm in asthmatics undergoing general anesthesia and/or intravascular administration of radiographic contrast mediaGennaro Liccardi
Department of Chest Diseases, Division of Pneumology and Allergology, A Cardarelli High Speciality Hospital, Naples, Italy
Curr Med Res Opin 25:1621-30. 2009....
- Influence of experimental esophageal acidification on sleep bruxism: a randomized trialH Ohmure
Department of Orthodontics, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1, Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8544, Japan
J Dent Res 90:665-71. 2011..RMMA episodes including SB were induced by esophageal acidification. This trial is registered with the UMIN Clinical Trials Registry, UMIN000002923...
- In vitro evaluation of corrosion and cytotoxicity of orthodontic bracketsM T Costa
Graduate Program in Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Goiás Goiânia Goiás, Brazil
J Dent Res 86:441-5. 2007..b>Abbreviations used: AISI, American Iron and Steel Institute; EDS, energy-dispersive spectroscopy; OD, optical density; ISO, ..
- Mesenchymal stem-cell transplantation for hypoxic-ischemic brain injury in neonatal rat modelJin A Lee
Departments of Pediatrics, Seoul National University Boramae Hospital and Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Pediatr Res 67:42-6. 2010..Neurologic performance was significantly impaired only on the cylinder test after HI (p = 0.034), and MSC transplants improved it (p = 0.010). These suggest MSC can be a candidate for the treatment of neonatal HIE...
- Functionality of gliadin proteins in wheat flour tortillasSuchismita Mondal
Department of Soil and Crop Sciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
J Agric Food Chem 57:1600-5. 2009..The deletion lines are designated by the same abbreviations. Dough and tortillas were prepared from the parent line used to derive these deletion lines, each individual ..
- Taming variability in free text: application to health surveillanceAlan R Shapiro
Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, 5 Pheasant Run, Pleasantville, NY 10570, USA
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 53:95-100. 2004..in syndromic surveillance requires managing the substantial word variation that results from use of synonyms, abbreviations, acronyms, truncations, concatenations, misspellings, and typographic errors...
- The rural rotation in a medical technology program: a ten-year retrospective studyBeverly A Kirby
Medical Technology Program, West Virginia University, 2163 Health Sciences North, P O Box 9211, Morgantown, WV 26506 9211, USA
Clin Lab Sci 20:202-9. 2007..This study evaluated the effectiveness of a rural rotation as a tool to recruit medical technology program graduates to medically underserved areas...
- A comparison study on algorithms of detecting long forms for short forms in biomedical textManabu Torii
Department of Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, and Biomathematics, Georgetown University Medical Center, 4000 Resevoir Rd, NW, Washington, DC 20057, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 8:S5. 2007..e., detecting definitions of acronyms, abbreviations, and symbols in biomedical text...
- Zen and the art of nomenclature maintenance: a revised approach to respiratory symbols and terminologyFrank P Primiano
Respiratory Therapy, M 56, Clevelnad Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Respir Care 51:1458-70. 2006..Use lower-case letters for change variables (change relative to a reference, or operating, point) and for abbreviations (eg, "pl" for "pleural")...
- Guinea pigs as models to study the hypocholesterolemic effects of drugsKristy L West
University of Connecticut, Department of Nutritional Sciences, 3624 Horsebarn Road Ext U 4017, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Cardiovasc Drug Rev 22:55-70. 2004....
- The effect of abbreviations on MEDLINE searchingC S Federiuk
Department of Emergency Medicine, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201, USA
Acad Emerg Med 6:292-6. 1999To determine the effect of the use of abbreviations and acronyms on citation retrieval in MEDLINE searches.
- A controlled analysis of professionals' contemporaneous notes of interviews about alleged child abuseRita T Cauchi
Deakin University, Victoria, Australia
Child Abuse Negl 34:318-23. 2010..The current study investigated (under optimal conditions) the accuracy and completeness of professionals' contemporaneous written notes of child abuse interviews...
- Haemonchus contortus: molecular characterisation of a small heat shock proteinDadna Hartman
Victorian Institute of Animal Science, 475 Mickleham Road, Attwood, VIC 3049, Australia
Exp Parasitol 104:96-103. 2003..Index Descriptors and Abbreviations: Haemonchus contortus; nematode; small heat shock protein; L3, infective larvae; xL3, exsheathed L3; eL4, ..
- Histamine amplifies immune response of gingival fibroblastsT Minami
Division of Oral Immunology, Department of Oral Biology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
J Dent Res 86:1083-8. 2007..b>Abbreviations used: HDC, histidine decarboxylase; LPS, lipopolysaccharide; IL, interleukin; TNF, tumor necrosis factor; HR, ..
- Prevalence of and screening for mental disorders in a sleep clinicKent J DeZee
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 1:136-42. 2005....
- Controlled synthesis of Pt nanoparticles array through electroreduction of cisplatin bound at nucleobases terminated surface and application into H2O2 sensingShujun Ji
Department of Chemistry, Liaocheng University, Liaocheng, 252059 Shandong, China
Biosens Bioelectron 26:2067-73. 2011..nucleotide-5'-monophosphate (NTMP including guanosine, adenosine, cytidine, uridine-5'-monophosphate, and abbreviations were GMP, AMP, CMP, UMP, respectively) were adsorbed onto Au substrate sequentially to form nucleobases ..
- Early alterations of growth factor patterns in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from preterm infants developing bronchopulmonary dysplasiaJasper V Been
Department of Paediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht 6202 AZ, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 67:83-9. 2010..01). In conclusion, substantial alterations in BALF growth factor levels are present in infants developing BPD. An early imbalance in pulmonary growth factors may contribute to the developmental arrest of the lung seen in BPD...
- Good results after major pancreatic resections in a middle-volume centerGeorge Peros
4th Department of Surgery, University Hospital Attikon, Medical School, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Pancreas 39:411-4. 2010..Recently, hospital and surgeon volume is widely discussed as a prognostic factor after major pancreatic surgery. We present our experience regarding major pancreatectomy in a middle-volume center...
- Inflammation mediated down-regulation of hepatobiliary transporters contributes to intrahepatic cholestasis and liver damage in murine biliary atresiaHuiqi Yang
Department of Surgery, Beatrix Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen 9700 RB, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 66:380-5. 2009..Intrahepatic cholestasis contributes to the development of jaundice and liver injury...
- The impact of computerized provider order entry on medication errors in a multispecialty group practiceEmily Beth Devine
Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research and Policy Program, School of Pharmacy, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7630, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 17:78-84. 2010..The objective was to evaluate the effect of a basic, ambulatory CPOE system on medication errors and associated ADEs...
- MEPE activated by furin promotes pulpal cell adhesionH G Wang
Department of Operative Dentistry and Endodontics, School of Stomatology, Fourth Military Medical University, China
J Dent Res 90:529-34. 2011..These results indicate that proteolytic processing by furin may activate MEPE during its secretion from odontoblasts and may play important roles in dentinogenesis and pulpal homeostasis...
- Human paraoxonase-1 activity in childhood obesity and its relation to leptin and adiponectin levelsPeter Koncsos
First Department of Medicine, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Pediatr Res 67:309-13. 2010..Altered levels of leptin, adiponectin and PON1 activities may be useful markers beside the general risk factors in childhood obesity...
- Muscle relaxation therapy for anxiety disorders: it works but how?Ansgar Conrad
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
J Anxiety Disord 21:243-64. 2007..b>Abbreviations of the original progressive MRT protocol [Jacobson, E. (1938). Progressive relaxation (2nd ed.)...
- Ovarian gonadotrophin surge-attenuating factor (GnSAF): where are we after 20 years of research?Paul A Fowler
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Reproduction 126:689-99. 2003..called gonadotrophin surge-attenuating factor (GnSAF), gonadotropin surge-inhibiting factor (GnSIF), various abbreviations (GnSAF/IF, GnSIF/AF) and also attenuin...
- Intracellular calcium in signaling human beta-defensin-2 expression in oral epithelial cellsS Krisanaprakornkit
Department of Odontology Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, Chiang Mai University, Thailand
J Dent Res 82:877-82. 2003..b>Abbreviations used in this study are: BAPTA-AM, 1,2-bis(2-aminophenoxy)-ethane-N,N,N',N'-tetra-acetic acid tetrakis (..
- Songbirds and the revised avian brain nomenclatureAnton Reiner
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1016:77-108. 2004..The prefixes used for the new names for the pallial subdivisions have retained most established abbreviations, in an effort to maintain continuity with the pre-existing nomenclature...
- Antioxidant, free radical scavenging and anti-inflammatory effects of aloesin derivatives in Aloe veraA Yagi
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuyama University, Gakuen cho, Fukuyama, Japan
Planta Med 68:957-60. 2002..These findings may explain, at least in part, the wound healing effects of A.vera. Abbreviations. ADP:adenosine diphosphate ASA:ascorbic acid BHT:butylated hydroxytoluene BSA:bovine serum albumin DMPO:5,5-..
- Pocket epithelium in the pathological setting for HMGB1 releaseN Ebe
Section of Periodontology, Department of Hard Tissue Engineering, Biochemistry, Division of Bio Matrix, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
J Dent Res 90:235-40. 2011..Thus, the periodontal epithelium may provide a unique pathological setting for HMGB1 release by bacterial insult...
- MELD exceptions and new predictive score of death on long waiting lists for liver transplantationS Iacob
Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Fundeni Clinical Institute, Bucharest, Romania
Chirurgia (Bucur) 104:267-73. 2009..Cirrhosis related complications, considered MELD exceptions, proved to add prognostic value to the MELD score in predicting waiting list mortality...
- Features of standardized nursing terminology sets in JapanKaoru Sagara
Seinan Jo Gakuin University Fukuoka, Japan
Stud Health Technol Inform 122:471-5. 2006..Then we compared them with terms in a thesaurus dictionary, the Bunrui Goihyo, that contains general Japanese words and is built by the National Institute for Japanese Language...
- Application of theory-based health behavior change techniques to the prevention of obesity in childrenHeidi Beckman
Prairie View, Inc, Newton Medical Office Plaza, Newton, KS, USA
J Pediatr Nurs 21:266-75. 2006..The age-adapted techniques have the potential to enhance obesity programs in a population for whom the obesity issue is critical...
- The "HUG": an innovative approach to pediatric nursing careJan Tedder
SAS Institute Health Care Center, Cary, NC, USA
MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs 32:210-4. 2007..Nurses' use of the HUG is aimed at helping nurses enhance their relationships with parents, helping parents feel heard and attended to, encouraging parents to share what worries them most, and increasing nurses' job satisfaction...
- Regular screening in type 2 diabetes. A mnemonic approach for improving compliance, detecting complicationsThomas J Beckman
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Postgrad Med 115:19-20, 23-7. 2004..It has also been accepted by medical students and residents as a valuable aid in the management of diabetes. My hope is that this system of organization will help the reader provide more effective care to these patients as well...
- Clinical communication and patient safetyDagmara Scalise
Hosp Health Netw 80:49-54, 2. 2006..This gatefold examines the scope of the problem, including data and risk factors, and offers some strategies for improvement...
- Structured practice opportunities with a mnemonic affect medical student interviewing skills for intimate partner violenceElizabeth A Edwardsen
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Teach Learn Med 18:62-8. 2006..Low rates of partner violence inquiry and detection are reported in the medical setting...
- Facial soft tissue injuries as an aid to ordering a combination head and facial computed tomography in trauma patientsEric P Holmgren
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, OR 97203, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:651-4. 2005..The aim of our research was to compare the facial soft tissue injury patterns of patients receiving a combination head and facial CT who had facial fractures versus those who had no facial fractures...
- EUTUBS: a mnemonic for the complete endoscopic examination of the lower urinary tractE O Olapade-Olaopa
Section of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
West Afr J Med 21:294-6. 2002..Furthermore, it is not meant to obviate the need for practical training of those wishing to carry out the procedure as part of their clinical practice...
- [ABC--DER TIP--STIMMT. Primary assessment of consciousness disorders]D von Ow
Zentrale Notfall Aufnahme, Kantonsspital St Gallen
Praxis (Bern 1994) 91:1432-6. 2002..An in the third step one tries, related to the findings from step one and two as well as from further examinations (CCT, lumbal puncture, lab-examines, ...), to find potential reasons for the unconsciousness of a patient...
- AAC menu interface: effectiveness of active versus passive learning to master abbreviation-expansion codesEllyn Gregory
University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, USA
Augment Altern Commun 22:77-84. 2006..Results revealed that participants who accessed words via a keyboard demonstrated significantly higher mastery of abbreviation-expansion codes than those who accessed words via a computer mouse...
- [Magnetic resonance imaging. Sequence acronyms and other abbreviations in MR imaging]W R Nitz
Siemens AG, Medical Soulutions, MR Applikationsentwicklung, Erlangen
Radiologe 43:745-63, quiz 764-5. 2003..Besides the sequence-specific acronyms, new abbreviations have surfaced recently in conjunction with parallel acquisition techniques...
- Agencies and acronyms: a guide to regulatory jargonNancy Burden
Morten Plant Health Services, Largo, FL, USA
J Perianesth Nurs 18:147-51. 2003..The resource guide is printed with changes with the permission of its author, Mrs. Jerry Henderson, and the American Association of Ambulatory Surgery Centers...
- Letters after your name--in what order should they be placed and why? EducationN Mackenzie
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, Portsmouth PO6 3LY, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:337-8. 2004..Many clinicians are uncertain about the correct place of letters after their names and are unaware that there is a strict hierarchical order in which they should be placed. The aim of this paper is to give the correct order of such letters...
- Abbreviations: the need for legibility and accuracy in documentationBridgit Dimond
University of Glamorgan
Br J Nurs 14:665-6. 2005This article explores the use of abbreviations in health care...
- The Knee Society system of standardized abbreviations for surgery of the arthritic kneeMark W Pagnano
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Clin Orthop Relat Res 440:24-6. 2005A new standardized system of abbreviations has been adopted by the Knee Society to bring clarity and brevity to scientific reports involving the arthritic knee...
- [The nursing register: a communication system]Sonia María del Olmo-Núñez
Unidad de Docencia y Formación Continuada, Hospital Clinico San Carlos, Madrid, Espana
Enferm Clin 17:142-5. 2007To identify the number, type, and appropriateness of abbreviations used to write nurse clinical charts (CC) and nursing discharge reports (NDR) in an inpatient unit.
- Pathology abbreviated: a long review of short termsJules J Berman
Pathology Informatics, Cancer Diagnosis Program NCI NIH, Rockville, MD 20892, USA
Arch Pathol Lab Med 128:347-52. 2004b>Abbreviations are used frequently in pathology reports and medical records. Efforts to identify and organize free-text concepts must correctly interpret medical abbreviations...
- [Acronyms and abbreviations in the clinical history]Rosa M Ribal Prior
Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, Barcelona
Rev Enferm 25:18-20. 2002The authors identify the acronyms, initials and abbreviations which have been produced in the different services at this hospital, establishing unified utilization criteria and creating a valid list for the center's administrative ..
- Prolific use of misleading abbreviations by hospice healthcare professionalsSarah Bell
Garden House Hospice, Letchworth Garden City, United Kingdom
BMJ Support Palliat Care 4:A79. 2014The use of abbreviations is widespread amongst healthcare professionals, despite studies showing they can be misleading and lead to medical errors. For example, SCC is used for both spinal cord compression and squamous cell carcinoma...
- Cigarette smoking and inflammation: cellular and molecular mechanismsJ Lee
Department of Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
J Dent Res 91:142-9. 2012....
- [Genetic analysis of contribution of low-molecular-weight glutenin subunits to dough strength in common wheat]Fang Wu
Chengdu Institute of Biology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Chengdu 610041, China
Yi Chuan 29:1399-404. 2007..parents had six Cysteine, but 'PB' (define) had a seven amino-acid deletion in the repetitive to 'GB' and 'JB' (define these abbreviations) and amino-acid substitution, two of which would be expected to cause changes in hydrophilicity.
- Intermittent catheterization in the management of post spinal cord injury (SCI) neurogenic bladder using new hydrophilic, with lubrication in close circuit devices--our own preliminary resultsA Spinu
The Teaching Emergency Hospital Bagdasar Arseni, Bucharest, Romania
J Med Life 5:21-8. 2012..This article is a review of the related approaches in the field-- including the newest ones associated with a specific retrospective study on in-patients from our Clinic Division (preliminary results)...
- A new website to aid the interpretation of ante-mortem dental records: www.internationaldentalcharts.comS Manica
Queen Mary University of London London, UK
J Forensic Odontostomatol 31:116. 2013..The aim of this study was to analyse the tooth numbering system, symbols and abbreviations used on dental charting worldwide...
- Combined QSAR studies of inhibitor properties of O-phosphorylated oximes toward serine esterases involved in neurotoxicity, drug metabolism and Alzheimer's diseaseG F Makhaeva
Institute of Physiologically Active Compounds, Chernogolovka, Moscow Region, Russia
SAR QSAR Environ Res 23:627-47. 2012..EOHs (with their abbreviations and consequences of inhibition in parentheses) comprised acetylcholinesterase (AChE: acute neurotoxicity; ..
- Determining the difficulty of Word Sense DisambiguationBridget T McInnes
Minnesota Supercomputing Institute, University of Minnesota, 117 Pleasant St SE, Minneapolis, MN 55455, USA Electronic address
J Biomed Inform 47:83-90. 2014..of WSD systems on a wide range of ambiguous biomedical terms (including ambiguous words/phrases and abbreviations). The methods include both supervised and unsupervised approaches...
- Individual patient meta-analysis: Taxane plus anthracycline reduces mortality from early breast cancerNicholas R C Wilcken
Ann Intern Med 156:JC6-4. 2012..75 x 14, eprubicin 60 x 2, fluorouracil 500 x 2, given 4 times weekly; CTX = chemotherapy; other abbreviations defined in Glossary...
- Pluripotent and multipotent stem cells in adult tissuesM Z Ratajczak
Stem Cell Biology Program, James Graham Brown Cancer Center, University of Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Adv Med Sci 57:1-17. 2012..Such cells were assigned various operational abbreviations and names in the literature that added confusion to the field and raised the basic question of whether these ..
- Curation of characterized glycoside hydrolases of fungal originCaitlin Murphy
Centre for Structural and Functional Genomics, Concordia University, Montreal Qc H4B 1R6, Canada
Database (Oxford) 2011:bar020. 2011..To simplify comparative studies, enzyme and species abbreviations have been standardized, Gene Ontology terms assigned and reference to supporting evidence provided...
- Automated identification of diagnosis and co-morbidity in clinical recordsC Cano
University of Granada, Department of Computer Science and A I, Spain
Methods Inf Med 48:546-51. 2009..Clinical free text is inherently redundant, unstructured, and full of acronyms, abbreviations and domain-specific language which make it challenging to mine automatically...
- Rac GTPase signaling during embryonic salivary gland branching morphogenesisSharon Sequeira; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Abbreviations used in proposal: 2D, two-dimensional;3D, three-dimensional;BM, basement membrane;ECM, extracellular matrix;..
- Biogenesis of lipoarabinomannan in mycobacteriaMary Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Abbreviations: AM, arabinomannan;AcylT, acyltransferase;Araf, arabinofuranosyl;AraT, arabinosyltransferase;CZE, capillary ..
- Extracellular Scaffold Elasticity and Binding Sites in Acinar DifferentiationMelinda Larsen; Fiscal Year: 2013..Aim 3. Use bilayer lithography to create microwell scaffolds for use with primary cells. Abbreviations: AFM, atomic force microscopy;Col IV, collagen type IV;ECM, extracellular matrix;GFP, green fluorescent ..
- Specificity of CD8 cells in islets from type 1 diabetes patientsMatthias G Von Herrath; Fiscal Year: 2013..targets are known autoantigens derived from beta cells such as insulin, IGRP, IA-2 and GAD (see Table 1 for abbreviations) and cellular matrix proteins, which could become presented when beta cells are destroyed but also viral ..
- New Insights into Motor Neuron DiseaseJohn K Fink; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Abbreviations: Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS);chlorpyrifos oxon (CPO);cyclic AMP (cAMP);cyclic AMP dependent protein ..
- An Advanced Model to Analyze CD4T Cel Reactions to Antibody and BCR V RegionsLawrence J Wysocki; Fiscal Year: 2012..b>Abbreviations ANA: Anti-nuclear antibody BAC: Bacterial artificial chromosome BCR: B cell antigen receptor CFP: Cyan ..
- Crystallization and structure determination of the mu-opioid receptorRoger K Sunahara; Fiscal Year: 2012..3) Crystallize and determine the x-ray crystal structure of the [unreadable]OR-T4L receptor Abbreviations: [unreadable]OR - [unreadable] opioid receptor LCP - lipidic cubic phase Y[unreadable]OR - YFP-[unreadable]OR ..
- Lesion Activity and Atrophy in Multiple Sclerosis: Analysis of Multi-center MRIPonnada A Narayana; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Abbreviations: CNS (central nervous system);DGM (deep gray matter structures);DIR (double inversion recovery);DSI (Dice ..
- Adapting Natural Language Processing Tools for BiosurveillanceDebbie A Travers; Fiscal Year: 2011..They often include misspellings, abbreviations, acronyms and other lexical and semantic variants that are difficult to group into symptom clusters (e.g...
- Neural substrates of recent and remote cocaine memoriesJonathan D Raybuck; Fiscal Year: 2012..These aims will determine if there are epigenetic differences between extinction of recent and remote CPP. Abbreviations: CPP: Conditioned place preference;DH: Dorsal hippocampus;NaBut Sodium Butyrate;HDAC: Histone Deacetylase;HAT: ..
- Promoting Safe Use of Pediatric Liquid Medications: A Health Literacy ApproachHsiang Shonna Yin; Fiscal Year: 2013..different units of measurement (milliliter, teaspoon, and/or tablespoon units) with variations in associated abbreviations, and the variability of measuring devices (type, markings, capacity), are sources of parent confusion...
- Interactive Mechanisms of Pelvic PainDavid J Klumpp; Fiscal Year: 2012..KEY ABBREVIATIONS SCPP = Syndromes of Chronic Pelvic Pain UCPPS = Urological Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndromes IBS = Irritable Bowel ..
- Contingency Management for Smoking Cessation in the HomelessCarla J Rash; Fiscal Year: 2013..b>Abbreviations: CM = Contingency management CO = Carbon monoxide CPD = Cigarettes per day LDA = Longest duration of ..
- POET: Consolidated, Comprehensive Clinical Text PreprocessingJOHN HURDLE; Fiscal Year: 2009..hand-typed clinical narratives in EHRs are usually ungrammatical;short or telegraphic in style;full of abbreviations, acronyms, and misspellings;formatted in a templated or pseudo-tabular form;and contain embedded non-text such ..
- POET-2: High-performance computing for advanced clinical narrative preprocessingJohn F Hurdle; Fiscal Year: 2013..g., abbreviations);are ill-formatted with templates and liberal use of white space;and are embedded with "non-prose" (e.g...
- Real-time Disambiguation of Abbreviations in Clinical NotesHua Xu; Fiscal Year: 2012..However, communication can be hampered by the pervasive use of abbreviations in clinical notes. Clinicians use abbreviations to save time during documentation...
- Promoting Health Literacy for Newly Prescribed Medications via the EMRMichael Wolf; Fiscal Year: 2009..Prescriptions are also vaguely written, with Latin abbreviations and/or dose frequency schedules that are easily misinterpreted...
- RETINAL DEGENERATION IN UVEITISNarsing Rao; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Abbreviations used in this proposal: GC/MS =gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; LC/MS =liquid chromatrography-mass ..
- PARTNERSHIP FOR RESEARCH IN OPTICAL COHERENCE TOMOGRAPHYJoseph Izatt; Fiscal Year: 2003..The specific aims of the proposal and the institutions involved in each (abbreviations found below) are: 1...
- PARTNERSHIP FOR RESEARCH IN OPTICAL COHERENCE TOMOGRAPHYJoseph Izatt; Fiscal Year: 2001..The specific aims of the proposal and the institutions involved in each (abbreviations found below) are: 1...
- SEMANTIC PARSER FOR MEDICAL FREE TEXTPeter Haug; Fiscal Year: 1999..this system and 2) extend the semantic model to assist in recognizing misspellings and variations on accepted abbreviations. As a part of this project, two systems will be developed to explore these two complimentary parts of the ..
- NEW ASPECTS OF STRUCTURE-FUNCTION--IRON-SULFUR PROTEINSHelmut Beinert; Fiscal Year: 1992..The principal techniques (other than enzyme chemistry) will be mentioned in brackets using these abbreviations: Mossbauer, MB; Resonance Raman RR; Protein Chemistry, PC; with CD,MCD,EPR,NMR,ENDOR,EXAFS considered standard ..
- Cancer Center Renovation GrantDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2004..are the most common cancers in women and men and account for 70,000 deaths annually in the United States, Abbreviations used in this proposat -- BRB Bressler Research Building; GCRC General Clinical Research Center; t/SF Health ..
- BIBLIOGRAPHY OF TOXORHYNCHITESWALLACE STEFFAN; Fiscal Year: 1980..and distribution is included. Standardization of abbreviations of journal titles (with a separate section giving complete information on all journals) and a gazetteer are ..
- Neuropathology and Pathogenesis of Huntington's DiseaseAnton Reiner; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- BONE SIALOPROTEIN: EXPRESSION & ROLE IN MINERALIZATIONRenny Franceschi; Fiscal Year: 2004..Such knowledge is essential for designing new strategies for bone regeneration to treat trauma and pathological conditions such as osteoporosis and periodontal disease. ..
- PERINUCLEOLAR COMPARTMENT AND CANCERSui Huang; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results of these experiments will provide an important foundation to address the significance of the PNC in malignant cells. ..
- The Major Surface Protease of Trypanosomatid ProtozoaMary Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2003..chagasi whose coding sequences predict they lack the usual GPI anchor, and to contrast the amino acid sequences that regulate the intracellular trafficking of these unusual MSPs with the MSPs that possess a GPI membrane anchor. ..
- CELLULAR AND MOLECULAR BASIS OF HIV BASED THROMBOCYTOPENMariusz Ratajczak; Fiscal Year: 2002..In toto, the studies proposed in this grant will increase the knowledge about pathogenesis of AIDS associated thrombocytopenia and may lead to development of new strategies for its treatment of prevention. (End of Abstract) ..
- DESIGN AND IMPLEMENTATION OF PHARMACOGENETIC DATABASEPrakash Nadkarni; Fiscal Year: 2002..Informatics assistance will be provided to the individual nodes to assist the task of data exchange, and when necessary, to assist the design of local data collection systems. ..
- DELIVERY OF THE CGN INFORMATION RESOURCE DATABASEPrakash Nadkarni; Fiscal Year: 2006..Informatics assistance will be provided to the individual nodes to assist the task of data exchange, and when necessary, to assist the design of local data collection systems. ..
- ROBUST QUERY OF HETEROGENEOUS CLINICAL DATABASESPrakash Nadkarni; Fiscal Year: 2002..In particular, research will be performed on utilization of newer database technologies, such as new indexing methods, as well as parallel database implementations. ..
- CONFERENCE ON DIABETES MELLITUSMorris Birnbaum; Fiscal Year: 2004..3) the relationship between specialized metabolic regulation and such generalized processes as proliferation, differentiation, apoptosis growth, and 3) molecular determinants in the neuronal control of appetite, growth and metabolism ..
- Immunogenetics of Leishmania chagasi InfectionMary Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2005..chagasi infection, and to identify specific alleles that influence human immune responses and thereby modify the course of disease. ..
- HERMES - Help physicians to Extract and aRticulate Multimedia information from liHong Yu; Fiscal Year: 2009..5) Design a usability study to measure efficacy, accuracy and perceived ease of use of HERMES and to compare HERMES with other information systems. ..
- Collaborative Development of a Vaccine against Cutaneous and Visceral LeishmaniasMARY EDYTHE WILSON; Fiscal Year: 2010..Through a coordinated approach in the three laboratories, we will systematically perform pre-clinical testing against several Leishmania species, with the goal of developing a pan-leishmania protective vaccine. ..
- Modular design of central metabolism in methylotrophsGregory Crowther; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- The CXCR4-SDF-1 Axis in Metastatic RhabdomyosarcomaMariusz Ratajczak; Fiscal Year: 2009..This work will be of relevance for designing strategies to block the SDF-1-CXCR4 axis to treat CXCR4-positive cancers. ..
- MAP KINASE REGULATION OF OSTEOBLAST FUNCTIONRenny Franceschi; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- RCT to evaluate guidelines for acute rhinosinusitisJane Garbutt; Fiscal Year: 2008..In addition, knowledge gained from this research could be used to decrease the inappropriate use of antibiotics. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- LOW-DOSE DOXYCYCLINE EFFECTS ON OSTEOPENIC BONE LOSSJeffrey Payne; Fiscal Year: 2007..Reduced bone loss and CVD incidence would represent significant public health improvements. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- The Perinucleolar Compartment as Breast Cancer MarkerSui Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..We expect the proposed studies will clarify whether the PNC, an easily detectable cellular structure, could improve the accuracy of breast cancer prognosis and prediction when used in combination with existing markers. ..
- GP63 EXPRESSION IN LEISHMANIA CHAGASIMary Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2001..They will also provide a model for differential expression of tandemly linked genes in this group of protozoa. ..
- A Novel HTP Assay for Identification of Compounds that Reduce PNC PrevalenceSui Huang; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Sleep Disruption in New Parents: An intervention TrialKathryn Lee; Fiscal Year: 2006..More generalizable results from this targeted sample will be used to develop an educational intervention package for distribution to all adults preparing for parenthood. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Biomarkers of Insomnia and Fatigue in HIV/AIDSKathryn Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is hypothesized that the set of biomarkers that best predict the onset of initiation insomnia may differ from the variables that predict maintenance insomnia or daytime quality of life measures. ..