Genomes and Genes
Summary: Shortened forms of written words or phrases used for brevity.
Publications186 found, 100 shown here
- Educational interventions to reduce use of unsafe abbreviationsMohammed E Abushaiqa
Medication Department, Medical Supply, General Administration of Medical Services Ministry of Interior, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:1170-3. 2007Educational interventions to reduce the use of abbreviations and dosage designations that were deemed unsafe at a level 1 trauma center are described.
- SaRAD: a Simple and Robust Abbreviation DictionaryEytan Adar
HP Laboratories, 1501 Page Mill Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA
Bioinformatics 20:527-33. 2004..Due to recent interest in the use of textual material to augment traditional experiments it has become necessary to automatically cluster, classify and filter natural language information...
- Creating an online dictionary of abbreviations from MEDLINEJeffrey T Chang
Department of Genetics, Stanford Medical Informatics, Stanford, California 94305, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:612-20. 2002..One such challenge derives from the common and uncontrolled use of abbreviations in the literature. Each additional abbreviation increases the effective size of the vocabulary for a field...
- Resolving abbreviations to their senses in MedlineS Gaudan
European Bioinformatics Institute, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Hinxton, Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK
Bioinformatics 21:3658-64. 2005Biological literature contains many abbreviations with one particular sense in each document. However, most abbreviations do not have a unique sense across the literature...
- Mapping abbreviations to full forms in biomedical articlesHong Yu
Department of Medical Informatics, Columbia University, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:262-72. 2002To develop methods that automatically map abbreviations to their full forms in biomedical articles.
- ALICE: an algorithm to extract abbreviations from MEDLINEHiroko Ao
Department of Computational Biology, University of Tokyo CB01, 5 1 5, Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa shi, Chiba, 277 8561, Japan
J Am Med Inform Assoc 12:576-86. 2005To help biomedical researchers recognize dynamically introduced abbreviations in biomedical literature, such as gene and protein names, we have constructed a support system called ALICE (Abbreviation LIfter using Corpus-based Extraction)...
- Heuristics for identification of acronym-definition patterns within text: towards an automated construction of comprehensive acronym-definition dictionariesJ D Wren
Program in Genetics and Development, Southwestern Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX, USA
Methods Inf Med 41:426-34. 2002..It also aids users in identifying acronym/definition variants present in the literature that may not necessarily be in biomedical databases...
- Calculations for new prescribersMeriel Hutton
Faculty of Health and Community Care, University of Central England, Birmingham
Nurs Stand 17:47-52; quiz 54-5. 2003..Mistakes in calculation can lead to potentially dangerous prescribing errors. This article takes the nurse prescriber through some basic calculations and points out the possible pitfalls...
- Dangerous abbreviations: "U" can make a difference!Christine Koczmara
Dynamics 16:11-5. 2005Dangerous abbreviations are also known as "error-prone abbreviations"...
- Building an abbreviation dictionary using a term recognition approachNaoaki Okazaki
Graduate School of Information Science and Technology, The University of Tokyo 7 3 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8651, Japan
Bioinformatics 22:3089-95. 2006..Acronyms result from a highly productive type of term variation and trigger the need for an acronym dictionary to establish associations between acronyms and their expanded forms...
- Look-alike, sound-alike oncology medicationsLisa Schulmeister
Clin J Oncol Nurs 10:35-41. 2006..Poor handwriting, abbreviations of medication names, unclear verbal medication orders, memory lapses, and the large volume of medications ..
- A multi-aspect comparison study of supervised word sense disambiguationHongfang Liu
Department of Information Systems, University of Maryland at Baltimore County, 1000 Hilltop Circle, Baltimore, MD 21250, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 11:320-31. 2004....
- Enhancing HMM-based biomedical named entity recognition by studying special phenomenaJie Zhang
Institute for Infocomm Research, 21 Heng Mui Keng Terrace, Singapore 119613, Singapore
J Biomed Inform 37:411-22. 2004..To our best knowledge, our system is the first one that copes with the cascaded phenomena...
- Computerised versus handwritten recordsMandi Whyte
Royal Liverpool Children s Hospital, Alder Hey
Paediatr Nurs 17:15-8. 2005..Nurses require regular training to reinforce record keeping knowledge and skills: this has been incorporated into the hospital's mandatory training programme...
- Comparison of character-level and part of speech features for name recognition in biomedical textsNigel Collier
National Institute of Informatics, 2 1 2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda ku, Tokyo 101 8430, Japan
J Biomed Inform 37:423-35. 2004..6, this is still significantly below the orthographic features. In combination these two features types appear to interfere with each other and degrade performance slightly to an F score of 72.3...
- Teaching tips: do your CATS PRrr?: a mnemonic device to teach safety checks for administering intravenous medicationsDonna Lucas Schumacher
Mayo School of Health Sciences, Affiliated Nursing Programs, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
J Contin Educ Nurs 36:104-6. 2005....
- Terminology-driven mining of biomedical literatureGoran Nenadic
Computer Science, University of Salford, Salford M5 4WT, UK
Bioinformatics 19:938-43. 2003..Although the knowledge is organized around sets of domain-specific terms, few literature mining systems incorporate deep and dynamic terminology processing...
- Automatic resolution of ambiguous terms based on machine learning and conceptual relations in the UMLSHongfang Liu
City University of New York, New York, New York 10032, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 9:621-36. 2002..However, manual annotation of a corpus is an expensive task. We propose an automatic method that constructs sense-tagged corpora for ambiguous terms in the UMLS using MEDLINE abstracts...
- Writing good abstractsAndrei V Alexandrov
Stroke Research Program, Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, USA
Cerebrovasc Dis 23:256-9. 2007..If selected appropriately, your abstract is more likely to be graded by peers with similar interests and familiarity with your work or field. Methods should describe the study design and tools of data acquisition shortly, not data...
- Medical slang in British hospitalsAdam T Fox
St Mary s Hospital, London, United Kingdom
Ethics Behav 13:173-89. 2003..The colloquial vocabulary is further described and a comprehensive glossary of common UK terms provided in appendix. This forms the first list of slang terms currently in use throughout the British medical establishment...
- Abbreviations and symbols in peptide science: a revised guide and commentaryJohn H Jones
J Pept Sci 12:1-12. 2006The abbreviations and symbols used in Peptide Science are surveyed, with comment and recommendations.
- Increased bacterial burden and infection: the story of NERDS and STONESR Gary Sibbald
Public Health Sciences and Medicine, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Adv Skin Wound Care 19:447-61; quiz 461-3. 2006..2. Identify signs of infection in the chronic wound and applicable diagnostic tests. 3. Describe appropriate treatment for the infected chronic wound...
- Falls in the elderly: what can be done?A D Akyol
Assistant Professor, School of Nursing, Ege University, Izmir, Turkey
Int Nurs Rev 54:191-6. 2007..This article gives information about falls in the elderly...
- Critical illness during pregnancy: considerations for evaluation and treatment of the fetus as the second patientKathleen Rice Simpson
St John s Mercy Medical Center, St Louis, MO 63130, USA
Crit Care Nurs Q 29:20-31. 2006....
- Critical components of a sleep assessment for clinical practice settingsKathryn A Lee
Department of Family Health Care Nursing, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Issues Ment Health Nurs 26:739-50. 2005..This article provides advanced practice nurses with a brief sleep assessment guide for use in psychiatric practice with adults or children...
- Using humor to teach postpartum topicsDolores Graceffa
Lawrence Memorial Regis College Nursing Program, Medford, Massachusetts, USA
J Nurs Educ 44:340. 2005..I have found that these two hands-on activities--demonstration and return demonstration, and roleplaying of a postpartum woman--help promote learning in a relaxed environment...
- Using the seven A's to determine older adults' community resource needsMarie Truglio-Londrigan
Pace University, Lienhard School of Nursing, Pleasantville, NY 10570, USA
Home Healthc Nurse 21:827-31. 2003....
- A novel systematic approach to ECG interpretationDarlene Hutton
QRS Educational Services, Seneca College Critical Care Program
Dynamics 16:19-21. 2005..Becoming familiar with the RIRI approach and consistently using this method will reduce the amount of time spent on the interpretation of the ECG and increase the time spent with the patient...
- Mapping of medical acronyms and initialisms to Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) across selected systemsMary Shultz
Library of the Health Sciences Urbana, University of Illinois at Chicago, 102 Medical Sciences Building, 506 South Mathews, Urbana, Illinois 61801, USA
J Med Libr Assoc 94:410-4. 2006..The purpose of this study is to evaluate how various MEDLINE Medical Subject Headings (MeSH) interfaces map acronyms and initialisms to the MeSH vocabulary...
- Revised nomenclature for avian telencephalon and some related brainstem nucleiAnton Reiner
Department of Anatomy, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis 38163, USA
J Comp Neurol 473:377-414. 2004..of mammalian basal ganglia were renamed as part of the pallium, using prefixes that retain most established abbreviations, to maintain continuity with the outdated nomenclature. We concluded, however, that one-to-one (i.e...
- Effects of baicalein, berberine, curcumin and hesperidin on mucin release from airway goblet cellsChoong Jae Lee
Department of Pharmacology, College of Medicine, Chungnam National University, Daejeon, Korea
Planta Med 69:523-6. 2003..b>Abbreviations. PLL:poly- L-lysine ATP:adenosine triphosphate HTSE:hamster tracheal surface epithelial DMSO:dimethylsulfoxide ..
- Paxillin interactionsC E Turner
Dept of Cell and Developmental Biology, SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY13210, USA
J Cell Sci 113:4139-40. 2000..b>Abbreviations: CAS, CRK-associated substrate; CH, calponin-homology domain; CSK, C-terminal SRC kinase; E6, Papillomavirus ..
- Mechanical transmission of Trypanosoma congolense in cattle by the African tabanid Atylotus agrestisMarc Desquesnes
CIRDES, Centre de coopération en Recherche Agronmique pour le Développement, départment Elevage et Médicine Vétérinaire Tropicale, Montpellier, France
Exp Parasitol 105:226-31. 2003..Index descriptor and abbreviations: Trypanosoma congolense (Trypanosomatidae) is a pathogenic trypanosome found in wild and domestic herbivores, ..
- Prescribing and dispensing activities at the health facilities of a non-governmental organizationA Hazra
Community Development Medicinal, Unit Documentation Centre, Calcutta, West Bengal, India
Natl Med J India 13:177-82. 2000..Prescribing and dispensing surveys are pre-requisites to achieving rational drug use. There is a dearth of such studies in India, particularly in the non-governmental organization sector...
- As you like itF N Ghadially
Department of Laboratory Medicine, Ottawa Civic Hospital, Ontario, Canada
Ultrastruct Pathol 21:211-26. 1997..under the following headings: (1) criticize at your peril; (2) how it all started (unjustly accused!); (3) abbreviations (a source of perennial aggravation, confusion, and waste of time); (4) mysterious bodies in mesotheliomas; (5) ..
- Potassium channel-blockers as therapeutic agents to interfere with bone resorption of periodontal diseaseP Valverde
Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, One Kneeland Street, Boston, MA 02111, USA
J Dent Res 84:488-99. 2005..3 and IKCa1 to ameliorate the clinical signs or side-effects of several immunological disorders and to decrease inflammatory bone resorption in periodontal disease...
- Differentiation between the complement modulating effects of an arabinogalactan-protein from Echinacea purpurea and heparinSusanne Alban
Institute of Pharmacy, University of Regensburg, Regensburg, Germany
Planta Med 68:1118-24. 2002..b>Abbreviations. AGP:arabinogalactan-protein AGP-hydr...
- Scoring mandibular fractures: a tool for staging diagnosis, planning treatment, and predicting prognosisFrancesco Carinci
Department of DMCCC, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Trauma 66:215-9. 2009..A staging system for classifying MF is of paramount importance to plan surgery, to define prognosis, and to exchange information among trauma centers. In this article, a classification for MF is proposed...
- Orbital fractures: a new classification and staging of 190 patientsFrancesco Carinci
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 17:1040-4. 2006..Here, a classification for OF that can be summarized with four abbreviations is proposed...
- The initial appearance of the cranial nerves and related neuronal migration in staged human embryosFabiola Müller
School of Medicine, University of California, Davis, Calif, USA
Cells Tissues Organs 193:215-38. 2011..visceral afferent, visceral efferent, pharyngeal efferent, and somatic efferent, together with appropriate abbreviations. The cardiac and hypoglossal neural crests are included, and it is emphasized that all the ectodermal placodes ..
- Proposal for a revised taxonomy of the family Filoviridae: classification, names of taxa and viruses, and virus abbreviationsJens H Kuhn
Integrated Research Facility at Fort Detrick, Division of Clinical Research, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, National Interagency Biodefense Campus, B 8200 Research Plaza, Fort Detrick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Arch Virol 155:2083-103. 2010..several times since the discovery of its members, resulting in a plethora of species and virus names and abbreviations. The current taxonomy has only been partially accepted by most laboratory virologists...
- Engineered protein scaffolds for molecular recognitionA Skerra
Lehrstuhl fur Biologische Chemie, Technische Universitat Munchen, D 85350 Freising Weihenstephan, Germany
J Mol Recognit 13:167-87. 2000..c) 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. Abbreviations used: ABD albumin-binding domain of protein G APPI Alzheimer's amyloid beta-protein precursor inhibitor BBP ..
- Biological approaches to bone regeneration by gene therapyR T Franceschi
University of Michigan School of Dentistry, 1011 N University Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 1078, USA
J Dent Res 84:1093-103. 2005..b>Abbreviations used: BMP, bone morphogenetic protein; FGF, fibroblast growth factor; AER, apical ectodermal ridge; ZPA, zone ..
- Impact of computerised chemotherapy prescriptions on the prevention of medication errorsMaría J Huertas Fernández
Pharmacy Clinical Management Unit Puerta del Mar University Hospital Cádiz Spain
Clin Transl Oncol 8:821-5. 2006..The authors sought to evaluate the impact of computerised chemotherapy prescription on the reduction of medication errors. The purpose of this study was to assess the incidence of errors present in electronic versus manual prescription...
- [Errors in hospital prescriptions of high-alert medications]Mário Borges Rosa
Fundação Hospitalar do Estado de Minas Gerais, Belo Horizonte, MG, Brasil
Rev Saude Publica 43:490-8. 2009..The objective of the study was to evaluate the practice of prescribing high-alert medications and its association with the prevalence of medication errors in hospital settings...
- Differences in activity of cytochrome C oxidase in brain between sleep and wakefulnessElena V Nikonova
Center for Sleep and Respiratory Neurobiology, School of Medicine, Hospital of the Univesity of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104 4283, USA
Sleep 28:21-7. 2005....
- Disambiguation in the biomedical domain: the role of ambiguity typeMark Stevenson
Natural Language Processing Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Sheffield, Regent Court, 211 Portobello, Sheffield S14DP, United Kingdom
J Biomed Inform 43:972-81. 2010..This system is applied to three types of ambiguities found in Medline abstracts: ambiguous terms, abbreviations with multiple expansions and names that are ambiguous between genes...
- Brain histamine H receptor occupancy of orally administered antihistamines measured by positron emission tomography with (11)C-doxepin in a placebo-controlled crossover study design in healthy subjects: a comparison of olopatadine and ketotifenManabu Tashiro
Department of Pharmacology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, Sendai, Miyagi, Japan
Br J Clin Pharmacol 61:16-26. 2006..The purpose of the present study is to measure histamine H(1) receptor (H(1)R) occupancy due to olopatadine, a new second-generation antihistamine and to compare it with that of ketotifen...
- Descriptive analysis of primary package labels from commercially available prescription solid oral dosage form drugsTodd E Chermak
Department of Pharmacy Administration, College of Pharmacy, University of Illinois, Chicago 60612 7231, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 49:399-406. 2009..To describe formats used by manufacturers to display drug names on primary package labels for prescription solid oral dosage forms...
- Flavin adenine dinucleotide status and the effects of high-dose riboflavin treatment in short-chain acyl-CoA dehydrogenase deficiencyBianca T van Maldegem
Department of Pediatrics, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 67:304-8. 2010..As our study could not demonstrate a clinically relevant effect of riboflavin, general use of riboflavin cannot be recommended...
- Meeting Report:The 7th ESPE Growth Plate Working Group Symposium - EUROGROP June 27th 2007, Helsinki, FinlandRazvan L Miclea
Department of Pediatrics, Leiden University Medical Center, Leiden, The Netherlands
Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 5:680-5. 2007..This report summarizes the data presented and provides some comments on each of the presentations. Abbreviations: 11beta-HSD: 11 Beta-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase; Agc: Aggrecan; Aln: Alendronate; Asb- 4: Ankyrin Repeat and ..
- Differences in arrhythmogenicity between the canine right ventricular outflow tract and anteroinferior right ventricle in a model of Brugada syndromeHiroshi Morita
Department of Medicine, Krannert Institute of Cardiology, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Indiana 46202, USA
Heart Rhythm 4:66-74. 2007..The Brugada syndrome is characterized by ST-segment elevation on the ECG, especially in the right precordial leads sensitive to the right ventricular outflow tract (RVOT)...
- Control of asthma for reducing the risk of bronchospasm in asthmatics undergoing general anesthesia and/or intravascular administration of radiographic contrast mediaGennaro Liccardi
Department of Chest Diseases, Division of Pneumology and Allergology, A Cardarelli High Speciality Hospital, Naples, Italy
Curr Med Res Opin 25:1621-30. 2009....
- Molecular genetic survey of European mistletoe (Viscum album) subspecies with allele-specific and dCAPS type markers specific for chloroplast and nuclear DNA sequencesArkadiusz Piotrowski
Department of Biology and Pharmaceutical Botany, Medical University of Gdansk, Gdansk, Poland
Planta Med 69:939-44. 2003..b>Abbreviations. dCAPS:derived Cleaved Amplified Polymorphic Sequence ITS1&2:Internal Transcribed Spacers 1&2 MAMA:..
- Strongyloides stercoralis: high worm population density leads to autoinfection in the jird (Meriones unguiculatus)Thomas J Nolan
Department of Pathobiology, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, 3800 Spruce St, Philadelphia, PA 19104 6050, USA
Exp Parasitol 100:173-8. 2002..Index Descriptors and Abbreviations. Nematode; Strongyloides stercoralis; Mongolian gerbil; Meriones unguiculatus; autoinfection; larval ..
- Mesenchymal stem-cell transplantation for hypoxic-ischemic brain injury in neonatal rat modelJin A Lee
Departments of Pediatrics, Seoul National University Boramae Hospital and Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul, South Korea
Pediatr Res 67:42-6. 2010..Neurologic performance was significantly impaired only on the cylinder test after HI (p = 0.034), and MSC transplants improved it (p = 0.010). These suggest MSC can be a candidate for the treatment of neonatal HIE...
- Influence of experimental esophageal acidification on sleep bruxism: a randomized trialH Ohmure
Department of Orthodontics, Kagoshima University Graduate School of Medical and Dental Sciences, 8 35 1, Sakuragaoka, Kagoshima 890 8544, Japan
J Dent Res 90:665-71. 2011..This trial is registered with the UMIN Clinical Trials Registry, UMIN000002923. Abbreviations: ASDA, American Sleep Disorders Association; EMG, electromyogram; GER, gastroesophageal reflux; LES, lower ..
- In vitro evaluation of corrosion and cytotoxicity of orthodontic bracketsM T Costa
Graduate Program in Orthodontics, School of Dentistry, Federal University of Goiás Goiânia Goiás, Brazil
J Dent Res 86:441-5. 2007..b>Abbreviations used: AISI, American Iron and Steel Institute; EDS, energy-dispersive spectroscopy; OD, optical density; ISO, ..
- Functionality of gliadin proteins in wheat flour tortillasSuchismita Mondal
Department of Soil and Crop Sciences, Texas A and M University, College Station, Texas 77843, USA
J Agric Food Chem 57:1600-5. 2009..The deletion lines are designated by the same abbreviations. Dough and tortillas were prepared from the parent line used to derive these deletion lines, each individual ..
- Taming variability in free text: application to health surveillanceAlan R Shapiro
Department of Medicine, New York University School of Medicine, 5 Pheasant Run, Pleasantville, NY 10570, USA
MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 53:95-100. 2004..in syndromic surveillance requires managing the substantial word variation that results from use of synonyms, abbreviations, acronyms, truncations, concatenations, misspellings, and typographic errors...
- The rural rotation in a medical technology program: a ten-year retrospective studyBeverly A Kirby
Medical Technology Program, West Virginia University, 2163 Health Sciences North, P O Box 9211, Morgantown, WV 26506 9211, USA
Clin Lab Sci 20:202-9. 2007..This study evaluated the effectiveness of a rural rotation as a tool to recruit medical technology program graduates to medically underserved areas...
- Guinea pigs as models to study the hypocholesterolemic effects of drugsKristy L West
University of Connecticut, Department of Nutritional Sciences, 3624 Horsebarn Road Ext U 4017, Storrs, CT 06269, USA
Cardiovasc Drug Rev 22:55-70. 2004..b>Abbreviations: ACAT, acyl-CoA:cholesterol acyltransferase; ASBT, apical sodium co-dependent bile acid transporter; ApoB, ..
- Zen and the art of nomenclature maintenance: a revised approach to respiratory symbols and terminologyFrank P Primiano
Respiratory Therapy, M 56, Clevelnad Clinic, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Respir Care 51:1458-70. 2006..Use lower-case letters for change variables (change relative to a reference, or operating, point) and for abbreviations (eg, "pl" for "pleural")...
- Study on determination of errors in prescription writing: A semi-electronic perspectiveMukhtar Ansari
Department of Pharmacology, Nobel Medical College and Teaching Hospital, Kanchanbari, Biratnagar Morang, Nepal
Kathmandu Univ Med J (KUMJ) 7:238-41. 2009..incomplete prescription), commission (incorrect information) and integration errors, without nonofficial abbreviations, and fulfil the legal requirements of a prescription...
- A comparison study on algorithms of detecting long forms for short forms in biomedical textManabu Torii
Department of Biostatistics, Bioinformatics, and Biomathematics, Georgetown University Medical Center, 4000 Resevoir Rd, NW, Washington, DC 20057, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 8:S5. 2007..e., detecting definitions of acronyms, abbreviations, and symbols in biomedical text...
- The effect of abbreviations on MEDLINE searchingC S Federiuk
Department of Emergency Medicine, Oregon Health Sciences University, Portland 97201, USA
Acad Emerg Med 6:292-6. 1999To determine the effect of the use of abbreviations and acronyms on citation retrieval in MEDLINE searches.
- Histamine amplifies immune response of gingival fibroblastsT Minami
Division of Oral Immunology, Department of Oral Biology, Tohoku University Graduate School of Dentistry, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
J Dent Res 86:1083-8. 2007..b>Abbreviations used: HDC, histidine decarboxylase; LPS, lipopolysaccharide; IL, interleukin; TNF, tumor necrosis factor; HR, ..
- Haemonchus contortus: molecular characterisation of a small heat shock proteinDadna Hartman
Victorian Institute of Animal Science, 475 Mickleham Road, Attwood, VIC 3049, Australia
Exp Parasitol 104:96-103. 2003..Index Descriptors and Abbreviations: Haemonchus contortus; nematode; small heat shock protein; L3, infective larvae; xL3, exsheathed L3; eL4, ..
- A controlled analysis of professionals' contemporaneous notes of interviews about alleged child abuseRita T Cauchi
Deakin University, Victoria, Australia
Child Abuse Negl 34:318-23. 2010..The current study investigated (under optimal conditions) the accuracy and completeness of professionals' contemporaneous written notes of child abuse interviews...
- Prevalence of and screening for mental disorders in a sleep clinicKent J DeZee
Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
J Clin Sleep Med 1:136-42. 2005....
- Assessing controlled substance prescribing errors in a pediatric teaching hospital: an analysis of the safety of analgesic prescription practice in the transition from the hospital to homeBenjamin H Lee
Department of Anesthesiology Critical Care Medicine, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
J Pain 10:160-6. 2009..Errors were defined using the Institute for Safe Medication Practices' (ISMP) List of Error-Prone Abbreviations, Symbols, and Dose Designations, literature review, expert panel consensus, and the Johns Hopkins Department ..
- Controlled synthesis of Pt nanoparticles array through electroreduction of cisplatin bound at nucleobases terminated surface and application into H2O2 sensingShujun Ji
Department of Chemistry, Liaocheng University, Liaocheng, 252059 Shandong, China
Biosens Bioelectron 26:2067-73. 2011..nucleotide-5'-monophosphate (NTMP including guanosine, adenosine, cytidine, uridine-5'-monophosphate, and abbreviations were GMP, AMP, CMP, UMP, respectively) were adsorbed onto Au substrate sequentially to form nucleobases ..
- Good results after major pancreatic resections in a middle-volume centerGeorge Peros
4th Department of Surgery, University Hospital Attikon, Medical School, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Pancreas 39:411-4. 2010..Recently, hospital and surgeon volume is widely discussed as a prognostic factor after major pancreatic surgery. We present our experience regarding major pancreatectomy in a middle-volume center...
- Early alterations of growth factor patterns in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid from preterm infants developing bronchopulmonary dysplasiaJasper V Been
Department of Paediatrics, Maastricht University Medical Centre, Maastricht 6202 AZ, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 67:83-9. 2010..01). In conclusion, substantial alterations in BALF growth factor levels are present in infants developing BPD. An early imbalance in pulmonary growth factors may contribute to the developmental arrest of the lung seen in BPD...
- Inflammation mediated down-regulation of hepatobiliary transporters contributes to intrahepatic cholestasis and liver damage in murine biliary atresiaHuiqi Yang
Department of Surgery, Beatrix Children s Hospital, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, Groningen 9700 RB, The Netherlands
Pediatr Res 66:380-5. 2009..Intrahepatic cholestasis contributes to the development of jaundice and liver injury...
- An audit of ultrasonography performed and reported by trainee radiologistsK C Eze
Department of Radiology, University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin City, Nigeria
West Afr J Med 28:257-61. 2009..Proforma information, instructions and procedures of training in radiology are lacking in Nigeria...
- MEPE activated by furin promotes pulpal cell adhesionH G Wang
Department of Operative Dentistry and Endodontics, School of Stomatology, Fourth Military Medical University, China
J Dent Res 90:529-34. 2011..b>Abbreviations: MEPE, matrix extracellular phosphoglycoprotein; PTM, post-translational modifications; OLC, odontoblast-..
- The impact of computerized provider order entry on medication errors in a multispecialty group practiceEmily Beth Devine
Pharmaceutical Outcomes Research and Policy Program, School of Pharmacy, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington 98195 7630, USA
J Am Med Inform Assoc 17:78-84. 2010..The objective was to evaluate the effect of a basic, ambulatory CPOE system on medication errors and associated ADEs...
- Human paraoxonase-1 activity in childhood obesity and its relation to leptin and adiponectin levelsPeter Koncsos
First Department of Medicine, University of Debrecen, Debrecen, Hungary
Pediatr Res 67:309-13. 2010..Altered levels of leptin, adiponectin and PON1 activities may be useful markers beside the general risk factors in childhood obesity...
- Muscle relaxation therapy for anxiety disorders: it works but how?Ansgar Conrad
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA
J Anxiety Disord 21:243-64. 2007..b>Abbreviations of the original progressive MRT protocol [Jacobson, E. (1938). Progressive relaxation (2nd ed.)...
- Ovarian gonadotrophin surge-attenuating factor (GnSAF): where are we after 20 years of research?Paul A Fowler
Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Aberdeen, Aberdeen AB25 2ZD, UK
Reproduction 126:689-99. 2003..called gonadotrophin surge-attenuating factor (GnSAF), gonadotropin surge-inhibiting factor (GnSIF), various abbreviations (GnSAF/IF, GnSIF/AF) and also attenuin...
- Relaxant effects of butylidenephthalide in isolated dog blood vesselsWun Chang Ko
Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Taipei Medical University, Taipei, Taiwan, ROC
Planta Med 68:1004-9. 2002..b>Abbreviations. Bdph:butylidenephthalide Phe:phenylephrine PGF 2alpha :prostaglandin F 2alpha CA:coronary artery FV:femoral ..
- Intracellular calcium in signaling human beta-defensin-2 expression in oral epithelial cellsS Krisanaprakornkit
Department of Odontology Oral Pathology, Faculty of Dentistry, Chiang Mai University, Thailand
J Dent Res 82:877-82. 2003..b>Abbreviations used in this study are: BAPTA-AM, 1,2-bis(2-aminophenoxy)-ethane-N,N,N',N'-tetra-acetic acid tetrakis (..
- Songbirds and the revised avian brain nomenclatureAnton Reiner
Department of Anatomy and Neurobiology, University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, Tennessee 38163, USA
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1016:77-108. 2004..The prefixes used for the new names for the pallial subdivisions have retained most established abbreviations, in an effort to maintain continuity with the pre-existing nomenclature...
- Antioxidant, free radical scavenging and anti-inflammatory effects of aloesin derivatives in Aloe veraA Yagi
Faculty of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, Fukuyama University, Gakuen cho, Fukuyama, Japan
Planta Med 68:957-60. 2002..These findings may explain, at least in part, the wound healing effects of A.vera. Abbreviations. ADP:adenosine diphosphate ASA:ascorbic acid BHT:butylated hydroxytoluene BSA:bovine serum albumin DMPO:5,5-..
- Pocket epithelium in the pathological setting for HMGB1 releaseN Ebe
Section of Periodontology, Department of Hard Tissue Engineering, Biochemistry, Division of Bio Matrix, Graduate School, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, 1 5 45 Yushima, Bunkyo, Tokyo 113 8549, Japan
J Dent Res 90:235-40. 2011..Thus, the periodontal epithelium may provide a unique pathological setting for HMGB1 release by bacterial insult...
- MELD exceptions and new predictive score of death on long waiting lists for liver transplantationS Iacob
Center of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Fundeni Clinical Institute, Bucharest, Romania
Chirurgia (Bucur) 104:267-73. 2009..Cirrhosis related complications, considered MELD exceptions, proved to add prognostic value to the MELD score in predicting waiting list mortality...
- Features of standardized nursing terminology sets in JapanKaoru Sagara
Seinan Jo Gakuin University Fukuoka, Japan
Stud Health Technol Inform 122:471-5. 2006..1) the level of interchangeability between four standardized nursing terminology sets is quite low; 2) abbreviations and katakana words are frequently used to express nursing activities; 3) general Japanese words are usually ..
- Application of theory-based health behavior change techniques to the prevention of obesity in childrenHeidi Beckman
Prairie View, Inc, Newton Medical Office Plaza, Newton, KS, USA
J Pediatr Nurs 21:266-75. 2006..The age-adapted techniques have the potential to enhance obesity programs in a population for whom the obesity issue is critical...
- The "HUG": an innovative approach to pediatric nursing careJan Tedder
SAS Institute Health Care Center, Cary, NC, USA
MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs 32:210-4. 2007..Nurses' use of the HUG is aimed at helping nurses enhance their relationships with parents, helping parents feel heard and attended to, encouraging parents to share what worries them most, and increasing nurses' job satisfaction...
- Regular screening in type 2 diabetes. A mnemonic approach for improving compliance, detecting complicationsThomas J Beckman
Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, 200 First St SW, Rochester, MN 55905, USA
Postgrad Med 115:19-20, 23-7. 2004..It has also been accepted by medical students and residents as a valuable aid in the management of diabetes. My hope is that this system of organization will help the reader provide more effective care to these patients as well...
- Clinical communication and patient safetyDagmara Scalise
Hosp Health Netw 80:49-54, 2. 2006..This gatefold examines the scope of the problem, including data and risk factors, and offers some strategies for improvement...
- Structured practice opportunities with a mnemonic affect medical student interviewing skills for intimate partner violenceElizabeth A Edwardsen
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, New York 14642, USA
Teach Learn Med 18:62-8. 2006..Low rates of partner violence inquiry and detection are reported in the medical setting. Purpose: To determine if a teaching module with a mnemonic improves interviewing skills...
- Facial soft tissue injuries as an aid to ordering a combination head and facial computed tomography in trauma patientsEric P Holmgren
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oregon Health and Sciences University, Portland, OR 97203, USA
J Oral Maxillofac Surg 63:651-4. 2005..The aim of our research was to compare the facial soft tissue injury patterns of patients receiving a combination head and facial CT who had facial fractures versus those who had no facial fractures...
- EUTUBS: a mnemonic for the complete endoscopic examination of the lower urinary tractE O Olapade-Olaopa
Section of Urology, Department of Surgery, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA
West Afr J Med 21:294-6. 2002..Furthermore, it is not meant to obviate the need for practical training of those wishing to carry out the procedure as part of their clinical practice...
- AAC menu interface: effectiveness of active versus passive learning to master abbreviation-expansion codesEllyn Gregory
University of Nebraska, Lincoln, NE, USA
Augment Altern Commun 22:77-84. 2006..Results revealed that participants who accessed words via a keyboard demonstrated significantly higher mastery of abbreviation-expansion codes than those who accessed words via a computer mouse...
- [ABC--DER TIP--STIMMT. Primary assessment of consciousness disorders]D von Ow
Zentrale Notfall Aufnahme, Kantonsspital St Gallen
Praxis (Bern 1994) 91:1432-6. 2002..An in the third step one tries, related to the findings from step one and two as well as from further examinations (CCT, lumbal puncture, lab-examines, ...), to find potential reasons for the unconsciousness of a patient...
- [Magnetic resonance imaging. Sequence acronyms and other abbreviations in MR imaging]W R Nitz
Siemens AG, Medical Soulutions, MR Applikationsentwicklung, Erlangen
Radiologe 43:745-63, quiz 764-5. 2003..Besides the sequence-specific acronyms, new abbreviations have surfaced recently in conjunction with parallel acquisition techniques...
- Agencies and acronyms: a guide to regulatory jargonNancy Burden
Morten Plant Health Services, Largo, FL, USA
J Perianesth Nurs 18:147-51. 2003..The resource guide is printed with changes with the permission of its author, Mrs. Jerry Henderson, and the American Association of Ambulatory Surgery Centers...
- Letters after your name--in what order should they be placed and why? EducationN Mackenzie
Department of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Queen Alexandra Hospital, Cosham, Portsmouth PO6 3LY, UK
Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 42:337-8. 2004..Many clinicians are uncertain about the correct place of letters after their names and are unaware that there is a strict hierarchical order in which they should be placed. The aim of this paper is to give the correct order of such letters...
- Abbreviations: the need for legibility and accuracy in documentationBridgit Dimond
University of Glamorgan
Br J Nurs 14:665-6. 2005This article explores the use of abbreviations in health care...
- Use of Beta-Lapachone for Lung Cancer ChemotherapyDavid Boothman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Item #1: List of Abbreviations Item #2: Relevant Publications 1. Pink, J.J., Planchon, S.M., Tagliarino, C., Varnes, M.E., Siegel, D...
- Use of Beta-Lapachone for Lung Cancer ChemotherapyDavid Boothman; Fiscal Year: 2007..Item #1: List of Abbreviations Item #2: Relevant Publications 1. Pink, J.J., Planchon, S.M., Tagliarino, C., Varnes, M.E., Siegel, D...
- Biogenesis of lipoarabinomannan in mycobacteriaMary Jackson; Fiscal Year: 2010..b>Abbreviations: AM, arabinomannan;AcylT, acyltransferase;Araf, arabinofuranosyl;AraT, arabinosyltransferase;CZE, capillary ..
- RETINAL DEGENERATION IN UVEITISNarsing Rao; Fiscal Year: 2002..b>Abbreviations used in this proposal: GC/MS =gas chromatography-mass spectrometry; LC/MS =liquid chromatrography-mass ..
- PARTNERSHIP FOR RESEARCH IN OPTICAL COHERENCE TOMOGRAPHYJoseph Izatt; Fiscal Year: 2003..The specific aims of the proposal and the institutions involved in each (abbreviations found below) are: 1...
- Cancer Center Renovation GrantDonald Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2004..are the most common cancers in women and men and account for 70,000 deaths annually in the United States, Abbreviations used in this proposat -- BRB Bressler Research Building; GCRC General Clinical Research Center; t/SF Health ..
- An in-silico method for epidemiological studies using Electronic Medical RecordsHua Xu; Fiscal Year: 2009..The priority score reflects the average of all the scores given by the full committee after a thorough discussion. ..
- Real-time Disambiguation of Abbreviations in Clinical NotesHua Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, communication can be hampered by the pervasive use of abbreviations in clinical notes. Clinicians use abbreviations to save time during documentation...
- An in-silico method for epidemiological studies using Electronic Medical RecordsHua Xu; Fiscal Year: 2010..The informatics approach will be validated on EMRs from two major hospitals to demonstrate its generalizability. Epidemiological findings from our study will be compared to reported findings for validation. ..
- Novel hematopoietic effects of C3 cleavage fragmentsMariusz Z Ratajczak; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will test the hypothesis that this defect is related to the lack of naturally occurring C cascade-activating IgM antibodies. ..
- GP63 EXPRESSION IN LEISHMANIA CHAGASIMary Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2001..They will also provide a model for differential expression of tandemly linked genes in this group of protozoa. ..
- Effects of gender and TMD on mandibular mechanicsJeffrey Nickel; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Advancing Literature Mining through Image Processing and AnalysisMichael Krauthammer; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Bisphenol A and Phthalate Exposure in Relation to Fetal Growth and Preterm BirthJohn D Meeker; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- THE ROLE OF THE AKT/PKB SIGNALING IN INSULIN ACTIONMORRIS JAY BIRNBAUM; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is the aim of these studies to understand why lipid metabolism is so disturbed in Type II Diabetes Mellitus and to identify novel targets to treat this aspect of the disease. ..
- MAP KINASE REGULATION OF OSTEOBLAST FUNCTIONRENNY THEODORE FRANCESCHI; Fiscal Year: 2010..7. ..
- SLEEP DISRUPTION IN NEW PARENTS: AN INTERVENTION TRIALKathryn Lee; Fiscal Year: 2003..Results from this study will be useful in developing an educational intervention package for distribution to all adults preparing for parenthood. ..
- THE ROLE OF THE AKT/PKB SIGNALING IN INSULIN ACTIONMorris Birnbaum; Fiscal Year: 2004..It is anticipated that, through these studies, a much deeper understanding will be obtained concerned the critical intracellular events which mediate insulin's regulation of essential metabolic functions. ..
- The Perinucleolar Compartment as Breast Cancer MarkerSui Huang; Fiscal Year: 2005..We expect the proposed studies will clarify whether the PNC, an easily detectable cellular structure, could improve the accuracy of breast cancer prognosis and prediction when used in combination with existing markers. ..
- Interactions between Leishmania and the Immune ResponseMary Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through studies described in this application we hope to delineate critical features that determine the ultimate outcome of the infection. ..
- Collaborative Development of a Vaccine against Cutaneous and Visceral LeishmaniasMary Wilson; Fiscal Year: 2007..Through a coordinated approach in the three laboratories, we will systematically perform pre-clinical testing against several Leishmania species, with the goal of developing a pan-leishmania protective vaccine. ..
- APOPTOSIS IN SJOGRENS SYNDROMEAntony Rosen; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together, these studies will define novel pathways critical to SS and other rheumatic diseases, with significant therapeutic potential. ..
- Sleep Disruption in New Parents: An intervention TrialKathryn Lee; Fiscal Year: 2006..More generalizable results from this targeted sample will be used to develop an educational intervention package for distribution to all adults preparing for parenthood. ..
- Biomarkers of Insomnia and Fatigue in HIV/AIDSKathryn Lee; Fiscal Year: 2007..It is hypothesized that the set of biomarkers that best predict the onset of initiation insomnia may differ from the variables that predict maintenance insomnia or daytime quality of life measures. ..