Genomes and Genes
Summary: Communication between persons or between institutions or organizations by an exchange of letters. Its use in indexing and cataloging will generally figure in historical and biographical material.
Publications192 found, 100 shown here
- Human dynamics: Darwin and Einstein correspondence patternsJoão Gama Oliveira
Center for Complex Network Research and Department of Physics, University of Notre Dame, Indiana 46556, USA
Nature 437:1251. 2005..although the means have changed, the communication dynamics have not: Darwin's and Einstein's patterns of correspondence and today's electronic exchanges follow the same scaling laws...
- Writing effective consultation letters: 12 tips for teachersErin Keely
Department of MedicineUniversity of Ottawa, Canada
Med Teach 24:585-9. 2002Written correspondence is the standard mode of communication between healthcare providers...
- Effect on survey response rate of hand written versus printed signature on a covering letter: randomised controlled trial [ISRCTN67566265]Kirstie McKenzie-McHarg
National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit University of Oxford Old Road Campus Oxford OX3 LF UK
BMC Health Serv Res 5:52. 2005....
- Improving doctors' lettersMartin H N Tattersall
University of Sydney, Blackburn Building, D06, Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia
Med J Aust 177:516-20. 2002..A letter content and format prompt card has the potential to enhance the quality of correspondence between medical specialists and referring doctors...
- Improving the quality of outpatient clinic letters using the Sheffield Assessment Instrument for Letters (SAIL)Adam T Fox
Luton and Dunstable Hospital NHS Trust, Luton, UK
Med Educ 38:852-8. 2004..To improve the quality of outpatient letters used as communication between hospital and primary care doctors...
- Correspondence patterns: mechanisms and models of human dynamicsAlex Kentsis
Department of Physiology and Biophysics, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York University, New York, New York 10029, USA
Nature 441:E5; discussion E5-6. 2006..distribution of timing of tasks, as studied in a sample of e-mail messages at a university and in the written correspondence of Albert Einstein, may not be as simple as it seems...
- Expert and trainee determinations of rhetorical relevance in referral and consultation lettersLorelei Lingard
Centre for Research in Education, University Health Network, University of Toronto, 200 Elizabeth Street, Eaton South I 605, Toronto, Ontario, Canada M5G 2C4
Med Educ 38:168-76. 2004..Our study examined how "relevance" is signalled and decoded in these letters, from the perspective of both experts and trainees in three clinical specialties...
- Physician facilitation of patient involvement in care: correspondence between patient and observer reportsLeslie R Martin
Department of Psychology, La Sierra University, Riverside, California, USA
Behav Med 28:159-64. 2003..Open-ended questions, responding to patient questions, and offering fewer alternatives were all associated with the patients' positive reports of physician facilitation...
- Do dermatology outpatients value a copy of the letter sent to their general practitioner? In what way and at what cost?C S Tomkins
Centre of Evidence Based Dermatology, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham NG7 2UH, UK
Clin Exp Dermatol 29:81-6. 2004..Sending a copy letter involves a relatively trivial cost for a practice which patients view as a valuable resource...
- Referral letters to colorectal surgeons: the impact of peer-mediated feedbackMoyez Jiwa
Institute of General Practice and Primary Care, Community Sciences Centre, University of Sheffield, Northern General Hospital, Herries Road, Sheffield S5 7AU, UK
Br J Gen Pract 54:123-6. 2004..Referral letters to specialists sometimes provide an inadequate amount of information. The content of referral letters to colorectal surgeons can now be scored based on the views of GPs about the ideal content of referral letters...
- Randomised trial of the effects of structuring clinic correspondenceC Melville
Dept of Postgraduate Medicine, Keele University, UK
Arch Dis Child 86:374-5. 2002..Median rating and items identified were higher for the structured letter. Structured clinical correspondence with paragraph headings is strongly preferred and increases comprehension.
- [A correspondence behavioral approach for 6 lifestyle's improvements in a workplace]Koko Kunitsuka
Health Insurance Society, Asahi Shimbun
Nihon Koshu Eisei Zasshi 49:525-34. 2002..The program ran for one month and support was provided for the participants to master behavioral techniques of self-control by explanation in the application format and rewards which were presented post intervention...
- 'He found me very well; for me, I was still feeling sick': the strange worlds of physicians and patients in the 18th and 21st centuriesM Louis-Courvoisier
Medical Humanities Programme, Bioethics Research and Teaching Unit, Faculty of Medicine, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland
Med Humanit 28:9-13. 2002..We suggest a few examples of contemporary fiction that may be relevant and useful in this respect...
- Referrals to hospital-based rheumatology and orthopaedic services: seeking directionC A Speed
Rheumatology, Sports and Exercise Medicine, Addenbrooke s Hospital, Hills Road, Cambridge, UK
Rheumatology (Oxford) 44:469-71. 2005..Our aim was to assess the feasibility of triage of musculoskeletal referrals to rheumatology and orthopaedic services at a large teaching hospital...
- The Mayo brothers and Harvey Cushing: a review of their 39-year friendship through their personal lettersAaron A Cohen-Gadol
Department of Neurologic Surgery, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Foundation, Rochester, Minnesota 55902, USA
J Neurosurg 102:391-6. 2005..Cushing were among the most significant pioneers of modem American surgery. A review of their personal correspondence reveals a special relationship among these three individuals, particularly between William Mayo and Cushing...
- [The Republic of Letters and French physicians on the eve of the French Revolution: the case of Esprit Calvet]Laurence Brockliss
Faculty of Modern History, University of Oxford, UK Oxford, OX1 3BD
Gesnerus 61:254-81. 2004..Calvet left a huge correspondence, thanks to which this duality between the practising physician and the citizen of the Republic of Letters can ..
- Osler and the infected letterCharles T Ambrose
Department of Microbiology, Immunology, and Molecular Genetics, University of Kentucky School of Medicine, Lexington, Kentucky 40536 0298, USA
Emerg Infect Dis 11:689-93. 2005..Disinfection of mail was largely abandoned in the early 20th century with newer knowledge about the spread and stability of these 5 infectious agents...
- John Coakley Lettsom's American friendsD Geraint James
41 York Terrace East, Regent s Park, London NWl 4PT, UK
J Med Biogr 13:11-4. 2005..They travelled to Europe with letters of introduction to him and some of them became corresponding members of the Medical Society of London. This work is a brief profile of some of these academic friends...
- Communication channels to help build an international community of education and practiceDeborah Oakley
University of Michigan School of Nursing, Room 4221, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 0482, USA
J Prof Nurs 20:381-9. 2004..For the project described, they were not necessary to the major outcome, a nursing education and practice network that resulted in the first nurse-managed community-based clinic in China...
- Communication at the interface: do better referral letters produce better consultant replies?Richard Grol
Centre for Quality of Care Research WOK, Nijmegen University, PO Box 9101, 6500 HB Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Br J Gen Pract 53:217-9. 2003..A letter is considered to be of higher quality when a specialist commences a letter with a reference to the specific request by the GP. In conclusion, opportunities for optimal communication should be better used...
- Copying referral letters to patients: prepare for changePhilip White
Department of General Practice and Primary Care, Guy s, King s and St Thomas School of Medicine, 5 Lambeth Walk, London SE11 5SP, UK
Patient Educ Couns 54:159-61. 2004..This initiative is one of many that the NHS has introduced to enhance openness, honesty and the quality of information provided to patients...
- Increasing social and psychological information conveyed to General Practitioners after bad news consultations by use of separate letters from the Lung Cancer Nurse SpecialistF Jaafar
Southend Associate University Hospital, Southend on Sea, Essex SSO ORY, UK
Lung Cancer 46:57-9. 2004..Separate and independent letters from the LCNS after "bad news" consultation in lung cancer provides added useful information for GPs. Ninety-one percent of the GPs wanted the letters from the LCNS to continue...
- Patient attitudes to receiving copies of outpatient clinic letters from the ocular oncologist to the referring ophthalmologist and GPY Krishna
Unit of Ophthalmology, Department of Medicine, University Clinical Departments, Duncan Building, Daulby Street, Liverpool, L69 3GA UK
Eye (Lond) 19:1200-4. 2005..To investigate patients' views and understanding on receiving a copy of the outpatient clinic letter from the ocular oncologist to the referring ophthalmologist and GP...
- Copies of clinic letters to the familyD G Bartle
Department of Child Health, Bath NHS House, Newbridge Hill, Bath, UK
Arch Dis Child 89:1032-3. 2004..A study was carried out to ascertain the views of young people and their parents as to who they felt should receive correspondence after an outpatient appointment.
- A letter of consequence: referral letters from general practitioners to secondary mental health servicesIan Shaw
School of Sociology and Social Policy, University of Nottingham, United Kingdom
Qual Health Res 15:116-28. 2005..Such understanding implies the need for a reexamination of the support available for GPs...
- Referring to a child psychiatristRichard England
Department of Psychological Medicine, Monash University, Victoria
Aust Fam Physician 33:993-5. 2004..Child psychiatry is a highly specialised practice and many general practitioners are uncertain how to manage a child who might require such intervention...
- [A historic case of Wegener's granulomatosis: the physicist who discovered the electromagnetic waves: Heinrich Hertz]H Feldmann
Univ HNO Klinik Münster
Laryngorhinootologie 84:426-31. 2005A diary and an extensive correspondence of Heinrich Hertz and his family provide a meticulous documentation of his life, made available by Albrecht Folsing in 1997 through a carefully investigated biography, which permit the conclusion ..
- Referral letters: are we prioritizing consistently?David D Pothier
Department of Otolaryngology, Gloucestershire Royal Hospital, Gloucester, UK
J Laryngol Otol 119:377-80. 2005..To determine the levels of intra- and inter-grade variability of the vetting of general practice (GP) letters as well as the intra-rater reliability of letter prioritization...
- Implementing referral guidelines: lessons from a negative outcome cluster randomised factorial trial in general practiceMoyez Jiwa
Curtin University of Technology, GPO Box U1987, Perth, WA 6845, Australia
BMC Fam Pract 7:65. 2006..Few patients with lower bowel symptoms who consult their general practitioner need a specialist opinion. However data from referred patients suggest that those who are referred would benefit from detailed assessment before referral...
- A survey of general dental practitioners' opinions of response letters received from hospital specialists following a referred patient's first appointmentP Tomlinson
University Dental Hospital Cardiff, Heath Park, Cardiff, CF14 4XY
Br Dent J 200:621-3; discussion 617. 2006..To discover what dentists require of a hospital response letter with regards to content and timeliness...
- Letters and notes in orthopaedic surgerySamantha E Hook
Department of Orthopaedics, North Bristol NHS Trust Avon Orthopaedic Centre, SouthmeadHospital, Westbury on Trym, Bristol, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 88:292-6. 2006..Accurate written communication is essential in orthopaedic surgery. Incomplete and poorly structured letters can lead to poor knowledge of a patient's diagnosis...
- An audit of the quality and content of periodontal referrals and the effect of implementing referral criteriaStyliani Kourkouta
Restorative Dentistry, Eastman Dental Hospital and Institute, University College London Hospitals NHS Trust, 256 Gray s Inn Road, London WC1X 8LD, UK
Prim Dent Care 13:99-106. 2006..This audit aimed to assess the effect of implementing referral criteria on the quality and content of referral letters sent by general dental practitioners (GDPs) to the periodontal department of a teaching hospital...
- The management and mismanagement of time by deansCarole Kenner
College of Nursing, University of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City, OK 73117, USA
Nurse Educ 31:187-9. 2006..The authors welcome counterpoint discussions with readers...
- The effect of patient self-completion agenda forms on prescribing and adherence in general practice: a randomized controlled trialWilliam Hamilton
CAPER research practices, Halford Wing Dean Clarke House, Southernhay, Exeter EX1 1PQ, UK
Fam Pract 24:77-83. 2007..What the patient wants from a general practice consultation and what the doctor believes they want are not always the same thing. This mismatch may lead to unwanted and unnecessary prescribing...
- Patient acceptance of a novel preventive care delivery systemThomas D Denberg
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Prev Med 44:543-6. 2007..To determine patient acceptance of a preventive care model employing outreach by non-physician experts outside of clinic visits...
- 'Tell Brother Regius...' Clifford Allbutt's correspondence with Archibald Malloch during Osler's final illnessCharles F Wooley
Division of Cardiology, The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH 43210, USA
J Med Biogr 15:32-8. 2007..Allbutt's letters to Malloch are presented here. Allbutt was an exemplary physician. His handwriting, however, left much to be desired. Transcription of these letters was no mean feat...
- Quality of written reports provided by consultants in restorative dentistry to referring general dental practitioners in the west midlandsShuva Saha
Department of Restorative Dentistry, Birmingham Dental Hospital, Birmingham, UK
Prim Dent Care 13:63-9. 2006..The secondary objective was to determine the style of the written consultant report preferred by GDPs...
- Correspondence of George Newman (1870-1948) during his years as school boy, medical student and recent graduate (1880-1907)John Walker-Smith
Paediatric Gastroenterology, University of London, UK
J Med Biogr 14:96-103. 2006The correspondence is reported of Sir George Newman, the first Chief Medical Officer of the United Kingdom, during his school and university education...
- Measuring the quality of referral letters about patients with upper gastrointestinal symptomsM Jiwa
Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Armthorpe Road, Doncaster DN2 5LT, UK
Postgrad Med J 81:467-9. 2005..General practitioners state the reason for referring patients in referral letters. The paucity of information in these letters has been the source of criticism from specialist colleagues...
- An audit of the standard of response letters sent by hospital specialists to general dental practitioners following a referred patient's first appointmentPamela Tomlinson
National Public Health Service for Wales, Swansea, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 87:251-4. 2005..To assess the standard of response letters issued by dental hospital departments according to the requirements of the recipient dentists...
- Philip S. Hench, M.D., Sc.D. (1896-1965): a glimpse at the early clinical yearsRichard I Haddy
Department of Family and Geriatric Medicine, University of Louisville, Kentucky, USA
Minn Med 88:48-50. 2005..His letters also included detailed advice for the optimal management at that time of arthritic conditions...
- Barriers to effective communication across the primary/secondary interface: examples from the ovarian cancer patient journey (a qualitative study)M C Farquhar
Department of Palliative Care and Policy, King s College London, Weston Education Centre, Cutcombe Road, Denmark Hill, London, UK
Eur J Cancer Care (Engl) 14:359-66. 2005....
- A qualitative study to investigate why patients accept or decline a copy of their referral letter from their GPGerry Morrow
Allendale Health Centre, Allendale
Br J Gen Pract 55:626-9. 2005..However, many patients declined this offer and this qualitative study was conducted to determine why almost 80% of patients offered a copy of their referral letter opted not to receive one...
- Neurosurgery 100 years ago: the Queen Square letters of Foster KennedyJames L Stone
Cook County and Loyola Medical Center, Department of Neurological Surgery, Center for the History of Neuroscience, University of Illinois, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Neurosurgery 57:797-808; discussion 797-808. 2005..The Foster Kennedy syndrome--homolateral optic atrophy and contralateral papilledema with an inferior frontal tumor--was characterized under the stimulating support of Gowers and Horsley...
- "The orang lives almost next door" the correspondence between John Fulton (New Haven) and Willem Verhaart (Java)Peter Koehler
Department of Neurology, Atrium Medical Centre, Heerlen, The Netherlands
J Hist Neurosci 15:5-16. 2006..The correspondence relates of their undertakings in research, the preparations for Verhaart's stay in New Haven, the failure of ..
- Can we rely on a general practitioner's referral letter to a skin lesion clinic to prioritize appointments and does it make a difference to the patient's prognosis?Jill B Webb
Department of Plastic Surgery, Sandwell General Hospital, Lyndon, West Bromwich, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 88:40-5. 2006....
- Reply letters following orthodontic consultations: an audit of Merseyside general dental practitioners' satisfactionDavid T Waring
Department of Orthodontics, University Dental Hospital of Manchester, Manchester, UK
Prim Dent Care 14:53-8. 2007....
- Peer review amongst restorative specialists on the quality of their communication with referring dental practitionersD N J Ricketts
Unit of Restorative Dental Care and Clinical Dental Sciences, Dundee Dental Hospital and School, University of Dundee, Park Place, Dundee DD1 4HN
Br Dent J 195:389-93; discussion 383. 2003..A peer review study was carried out to assess the written communication between consultants and specialist registrars in restorative dentistry with the referring general dental practitioners...
- Referral letters in oral medicine: standard versus non-standard lettersC M Navarro
Araraquara Dental School UNESP, Faculdade de Odontologia, Oral Medicine Service, Department of Diagnosis and Surgery, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 31:537-43. 2002..The standard letters were more complete and contained information commonly absent in the non-standard letters. We suggest the use of standard letters for improving the quality of communication among professionals...
- Oncologists and family physicians. Using a standardized letter to improve communicationTed C Braun
Calgary Regional Palliative and Hospice Care Service, Alberta
Can Fam Physician 49:882-6. 2003..Communication between oncologists at a regional cancer centre and family physicians caring for palliative cancer patients in the community was ineffective...
- Aspects of the quality of the information contained in radiological referralsSven Ordell
Public Dental Service, Motala, Sweden
Swed Dent J 26:135-40. 2002..Ninety-one per cent reported that they felt the reply to their referral was adequately long. A mutual questionnaire is a practicable tool to ensure quality in the referral process...
- GP letter writing in colorectal cancer: a qualitative studyMoyez Jiwa
Institute of General Practice and Primary Care, Community Sciences Centre, North General Hospital, Sheffield, UK
Curr Med Res Opin 18:342-6. 2002..The content of referral letters from GPs has failed to satisfy specialists responding to a series of surveys. Evidence suggests that GPs who improve their letters to specialists also refer more cases with significant pathology...
- Howard A. Kelly's development as an academician: some insights from his letters to Robert P. HarrisLawrence D Longo
Trans Stud Coll Physicians Phila 24:93-136. 2002....
- Does receiving a copy of correspondence improve patients' satisfaction with their out-patient consultation?N C Saunders
Department of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, UK n c saunderstalk21 com
J Laryngol Otol 117:126-9. 2003..Sending patients a copy of correspondence to their GP is one means of aiding communication and improving overall satisfaction.
- Use of referral reply letters for continuing medical education: a reviewAnna Gagliardi
Health Policy, Management and Evaluation Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Cancer Care Ontario, Toronto, Ontario
J Contin Educ Health Prof 22:222-9. 2002..The purpose of this review is to assess the role of referral reply letters in the continuing education of GPs...
- Communication across the divide. A trial of structured communication between general practice and emergency departmentsM F Harris
School of Community Medicine, University of New South Wales
Aust Fam Physician 31:197-200. 2002..To evaluate the impact of structured form letters for general practitioner to emergency department (ED) communication...
- Alfred Fröhlich and his correspondence with Sir Ronald RossMary E Gibson
J Med Biogr 11:41-6. 2003An outline is given of the career of Alfred Fröhlich, and his correspondence with Sir Ronald Ross between 1901 and 1912 is described in detail.
- Oncology service correspondence: do we communicate?S Babington
Department of Radiation Oncology, Westmead Hospital, Sydney, NSW, Australia
Australas Radiol 47:50-4. 2003..and the requirements of hospital specialists and General Practitioners (GPs) regarding oncology service correspondence. The content of letters regarding the initial consultation of 204 consecutive new oncology patients was ..
- Introductory postcards: do they increase response rate in a telephone survey of older persons?H Iredell
WA Centre for Health Promotion Research, Curtin University of Technology, GPO Box U1987, Perth, Western Australia 6845, Australia
Health Educ Res 19:159-64. 2004..The conclusion is that mailing a postcard prior to the first telephone contact increases the participation rates of older persons in a telephone survey at very little extra cost (A$0.60 per person)...
- Florence Nightingale and healthcare reformElizabeth Connelly Kudzma
Division of Nursing, Curry College, Milton, Massachusetts, USA
Nurs Sci Q 19:61-4. 2006..Statistical support and solicited criticism allowed Nightingale to argue more forcefully for her reforms...
- Weir Mitchell's observations on sensory localization and their influence on Jacksonian neurologyElan D Louis
GH Sergievsky Center, Department of Neurology, Taub Institute for Research on Alzheimer s Disease and the Aging Brain, College of Physicians and Surgeons, Columbia University, New York, NY, USA
Neurology 66:1241-4. 2006..Hughlings Jackson, however, did not work in a vacuum. Silas Weir Mitchell (1829-1914), in Philadelphia, published several clinical observations related to localization...
- [The correspondence of Johann Bartholomäus Trommsdorff (1770-1837): more then a source book of pharmaceutical history]Hartmut Bettin
Ber Wiss 25:213-27. 2002The aim of this paper is to present the publication of the correspondence of Johann Bartholomäus Trommsdorff (1770 bis 1837) and to inform about the history of this project as well as the methodical proceedings and the content of these ..
- An early "Atkins' Diet": RA Fisher analyses a medical "experiment"Stephen Senn
Department of Statistics, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, G12 8QQ, UK
Biom J 48:193-204. 2006A study on vitamin absorption which RA Fisher analysed for WRG Atkins and co-authored with him is critically examined. The historical background as well as correspondence between Atkins and Fisher is presented.
- Entecavir for the treatment of chronic hepatitis B virus infectionS James Matthews
Department of Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Clin Ther 28:184-203. 2006..Potential drug interactions and adverse events associated with the use of entecavir are also reviewed...
- In vitro fertilisation and gamete intrafallopian transfer: an integrative analysis of research, 1987-1992D T Kenny
Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney, Lidcombe, NSW, Australia
Br J Obstet Gynaecol 102:317-25. 1995..regarding outcome of assisted reproduction not otherwise available from national registers; and to assess correspondence of these outcomes with outcome data presented in the national registers of the Fertility Societies of ..
- Does color Doppler sonography improve the clinical assessment of patients with acute scrotum?Pietro Pepe
Urology Unit, Cannizzaro Hospital, Catania, Italy
Eur J Radiol 60:120-4. 2006..Our experience concerning the use of color Doppler sonography (CDS) in the differential diagnosis of acute scrotum is reported...
- Telbivudine for the management of chronic hepatitis B virus infectionS James Matthews
Division of Clinical Pharmacy, Department of Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy, Bouve College of Health Sciences, Northeastern University, 237 Mugar Hall, 360 Huntington Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Clin Ther 29:2635-53. 2007....
- N,N-diethyl-2-[4-(phenylmethyl)phenoxy] ethanamine (DPPE) a chemopotentiating and cytoprotective agent in clinical trials: interaction with histamine at cytochrome P450 3A4 and other isozymes that metabolize antineoplastic drugsL J Brandes
Department of Medicine, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 45:298-304. 2000..Therefore, we assessed whether (a) DPPE and HA interact at CYP3A4 and other P450 human isozymes, and (b) DPPE inhibits the catalytic activity of CYP3A4...
- Electrical impedance along connective tissue planes associated with acupuncture meridiansAndrew C Ahn
Fletcher Allen Health Care, University of Vermont General Clinical Research Center, VT, USA
BMC Complement Altern Med 5:10. 2005..Recent studies indicate a correspondence between acupuncture meridians and connective tissue planes...
- Evolution of the trypanorhynch tapeworms: parasite phylogeny supports independent lineages of sharks and raysPeter D Olson
Department of Zoology, The Natural History Museum, Cromwell Road, London SW75BD, UK
Int J Parasitol 40:223-42. 2010..a combination of ssrDNA and lsrDNA (Domains 1-3) for 79 and 80 taxa, respectively, we maintain one-to-one correspondence between molecules and morphology by scoring 45 characters from the same specimens used for sequencing, and ..
- Evaluation of pyridine-3-carboxylic acid as a drug carrier by utilizing multivariate methods, structure property correlations, and pattern recognition techniquesRonald L Bartzatt
University of Nebraska, Durham Science Center, Chemistry Department, Medicinal Chemistry Laboratory, Omaha, Nebraska 68182, USA
Receptors Channels 10:61-71. 2004..Multivariate methods applied include cluster analysis, discriminant analysis, correspondence analysis, self organizing tree algorithm (SOTA) analysis, factor analysis, and principal component analysis...
- Is global outcome predictable in the rehabilitation of patients with musculoskeletal disorders? A pilot studyB W Wunderlin
Thurgauer Klinik St Katharinental, Diessenhofen, Switzerland
Int J Rehabil Res 25:103-17. 2002..In the regression models, the best predictor for outcome was the PMR physician assessment. Complete and good correspondence between prediction and outcome was obtained in 71.4% (42.1% and 29.3%, respectively) in the descriptive model...
- Hepatotoxin-induced hypercreatinaemia and hypercreatinuria: their relationship to one another, to liver damage and to weakened nutritional statusT Andrew Clayton
Biological Chemistry, Biomedical Sciences Division, Imperial College London, Sir Alexander Fleming Building, South Kensington, SW7 2AZ, London, UK
Arch Toxicol 78:86-96. 2004..With all of the data included, there were eight out of ten points of correspondence between the incidence of hypercreatinaemia and/or hypercreatinuria and the incidence of increases in plasma ..
- Clinicopathological study on TTV infection in hepatitis of unknown etiologyZhong Jie Hu
Department of Pathology, Beijing You An Hospital, 8 You an Men Wai, Beijing 100054, China
World J Gastroenterol 8:288-93. 2002..To investigate the state of infection, replication site, pathogenicity and clinical significance of transfusion transmitted virus (TTV) in patients with hepatitis, especially in patients of unknown etiology...
- On the quality of tree-based protein classificationBetty Lazareva-Ulitsky
Computational Biology Department, Applied Biosystems, Foster City, CA 94404, USA
Bioinformatics 21:1876-90. 2005..How can these trees be compared in their ability to accurately classify protein sequences?..
- [Do prism corrections according to H.-J. Haase affect ocular prevalence?]V Schroth
opti school, Studio für Augenglasbestimmung Freiburg
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 224:32-9. 2007..ocular prevalence as being due to a small vergence error (fixation disparity with a shift of retinal correspondence). This vergence error indicates, according to Haase, a (not yet fully corrected) heterophoria...
- An international Delphi study examining health promotion and health education in nursing practice, education and policyDean Whitehead
College of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Health Sciences, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand
J Clin Nurs 17:891-900. 2008..To arrive at an expert consensus in relation to health promotion and health education constructs as they apply to nursing practice, education and policy...
- erm(B)-carrying elements in tetracycline-resistant pneumococci and correspondence between Tn1545 and Tn6003Ileana Cochetti
Institute of Microbiology and Biomedical Sciences, Polytechnic University of Marche Medical School, Via Tronto 10 A, 60020 Ancona, Italy
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 52:1285-90. 2008..pneumococci carrying erm(B)/tet(M) transposon Tn1545, Tn6003, Tn6002, or Tn3872, we demonstrated a substantial correspondence between Tn1545 and Tn6003, which have the same resistance gene combination [tet(M) (tetracycline), erm(B) (..
- Imaging of head and neck tumors--methods: CT, spiral-CT, multislice-spiral-CTU Baum
Institute of Diagnostic Radiology Friedrich Alexander University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Maximiliansplatz 1, D 91054, Erlangen, Germany
Eur J Radiol 33:153-60. 2000Spiral-CT is standard for imaging neck tumors. In correspondence with other groups we routinely use spiral-CT with thin slices (3 mm), a pitch of 1.3-1.5 and an overlapping reconstruction increment (2-3 mm)...
- [Lesions in the pars compacta substantiae nigra and the subthalamic nucleus modify the density of muscarinic receptors in different nuclei of the basal ganglia]L Blanco-Lezcano
Grupo Trastornos del Movimiento y Enfermedad de Parkinson, Area Básica, Centro Internacional de Restauracion Neurologica, Playa Ciudad Habana, Cuba
Rev Neurol 38:128-32. 2004..Several studies that has focused to the dopaminergic transmission in the basal ganglia in parkinsonian condition, but only a few article has taking into account the imbalance between dopaminergic and cholinergic transmission...
- Combination of functional magnetic resonance imaging-guided neuronavigation and intraoperative cortical brain mapping improves targeting of motor cortex stimulation in neuropathic painBenoit Pirotte
Department of Neurosurgery, Erasme Hospital, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Neurosurgery 56:344-59; discussion 344-59. 2005....
- Prolonged QTc intervals on admission electrocardiograms: prevalence and correspondence with admission electrolyte abnormalitiesHoutan Golzari
Department of Medicine, MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Conn Med 71:389-97. 2007..Prolonged QTc (corrected QT) interval and torsades de pointes (TDP) are associated with hypocalcemia, hypomagnesemia, hypokalemia, possibly alkalosis and may result in syncope and sudden cardiac death...
- Trigger point--acupuncture point correlations revisitedStephen Birch
The Stichting for the Study of Traditional East Asian Medicine, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
J Altern Complement Med 9:91-103. 2003In 1977, Melzack and colleagues examined the possible correspondence of acupuncture points and trigger points for the treatment of pain. They claimed a 71% correspondence between these two classes of points...
- Arthropod assemblages are best predicted by plant species compositionAndré P Schaffers
Department of Nature Conservation and Plant Ecology, Wageningen University and Research Centre, P O Box 47, 6700 AA Wageningen, The Netherlands
Ecology 89:782-94. 2008..For this we used the recently published method of predictive co-correspondence analysis, and a predictive variant of canonical correspondence analysis, depending on the type of predictor ..
- Addition of long-acting beta2-agonists to inhaled steroids versus higher dose inhaled steroids in adults and children with persistent asthmaFrancine M Ducharme
Research Centre, CHU Sainte Justine and the Department of Pediatrics, University of Montreal, 3175 Cote Sainte Catherine, Montreal, , Canada, H3T 1C5
Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4:CD005533. 2010..database searches (MEDLINE, EMBASE and CINAHL), bibliographies of RCTs, clinical trial registries and correspondence with manufacturers until May 2008...
- [Scientific collaboration of the Society of Medicine and Natural Science in Jassy with prominent European scientists during the first decades of its existence]E G Brodel
Disciplina de Istoria Medicinei, Facultatea de Medicina, Universitatea de Medicină şi Farmacie Gr T Popa, Iasi
Rev Med Chir Soc Med Nat Iasi 111:1094-100. 2007..contacts of the Society of Medicine and Natural Science in Jassy arise from detailed analysis of the correspondence that outlasts time in the state archive of Jassy...
- [Influence of prism overcorrection on residual postoperative strabismus]A Kretzschmar
Zentrum für Augenheilkunde der Justus Liebig Universität Giessen
Klin Monbl Augenheilkd 224:659-63. 2007Prism overcorrection is a complementary procedure to reduce the residual postoperative esotropia caused by anomalous retinal correspondence (ARC) after surgery for esotropia. We have investigated the results of this treatment.
- Identification of Campylobacter fetus subspecies by phenotypic differentiation and PCRFrank Schulze
Friedrich Loeffler Institut, Institut für Molekulare Pathogenese, 07743 Jena, Germany
J Clin Microbiol 44:2019-24. 2006..to metronidazole and cefoperazone completely agreed with the results of the glycine tolerance test (correspondence, 100%). Seventy-three C. fetus subsp. venerealis isolates did not grow at 42 degrees C (correspondence, 90...
- [Psychotropic drug use and correspondence with psychiatric diagnoses in the mental health in the general population survey]A Grolleau
Universite Victor Segalen Bordeaux 2, 146, rue Leo Saignat, 33076 Bordeaux Cedex, France
Encephale 34:352-9. 2008The aims of this study were to assess the lifetime prevalence rate of psychotropic drugs use in the French general population and the correspondence between psychotropic drug use and psychiatric diagnoses.
- Ionised and total serum magnesium in renal transplant patientsSandro Mazzaferro
Department of Clinical Science, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
J Nephrol 15:275-80. 2002..We verified the prevalence of true ionised magnesemia and the correspondence between total and ionised Mg assays in our transplanted patients, taking into account renal Mg excretion and ..
- Educational technology integration and distance learning in respiratory care: practices and attitudesKeith B Hopper
Information Design and Communication Program, Southern Polytechnic State University, 1100 S Marietta Parkway, Marietta, GA 30060, USA
Respir Care 52:1510-24. 2007Educational technologies have had an important role in respiratory care. Distance learning via postal correspondence has been used extensively in respiratory care, and Internet-based distance learning is now used in the training of ..
- [Studies on immune response in mouse model of experimental Chlamydia trachomatis intrauterine infections]T Satoh
Department of Urology, School of Medicine, Sapporo Medical University
Kansenshogaku Zasshi 68:304-13. 1994..trachomatis-specific IgA and IgG antibodies were also measured. The immunological correspondence of these serum antibodies to C. trachomatis elementary bodies was also investigated. 1...
- Regional correspondence between the ventral portion of the lumbar intervertebral disc and the groin mediated by a spinal reflex. A possible basis of discogenic referred painY Takahashi
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, School of Medicine, Chiba University, Japan
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 23:1853-8; discussion 1859. 1998..OBJECTIVES: To confirm by electrophysiologic means the neural correspondence between the ventral portion of the lumbar disc and the groin...
- The mechanics of sound production in Panacanthus pallicornis (Orthoptera: Tettigoniidae: Conocephalinae): the stridulatory motor patternsFernando Montealegre-Z
Department of Zoology, University of Toronto at Mississauga, 3359 Mississauga Road, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, L5L 1C6
J Exp Biol 208:1219-37. 2005..and sound indicate that the entire stridulatory file is used for sound production and there is nearly a 1:1 correspondence between the number of cycles in a song and the number of teeth on the file...
- The digits of the wing of birds are 1, 2, and 3. A reviewAlexander O Vargas
Programa de Anatomía y Biología del Desarrollo, Facultad de Medicina, Universidad de Chile, Independencia 1027, Casilla 70 079 Santiago 7, Santiago, Chile
J Exp Zool B Mol Dev Evol 304:206-19. 2005..However, some embryological evidence suggests that these digits are 2, 3, and 4. This apparent lack of correspondence has been described as the greatest challenge to the widely accepted theropod-bird link (Zhou 2004...
- A comparison of massively parallel nucleotide sequencing with oligonucleotide microarrays for global transcription profilingJames R Bradford
Applied Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, Cancer Research UK, Paterson Institute for Cancer Research, The University of Manchester, Wilmslow Road, Manchester M20 4BX UK
BMC Genomics 11:282. 2010..0ST arrays. The use of Exon arrays makes it possible to assess the performance of RNA-Seq in two key areas: detection of expression at the granularity of individual exons, and discovery of transcription outside annotated loci...
- Objective signs of photoreceptor displacement by binocular correspondence perimetry: a study of epiretinal membranesKristian Krøyer
Department of Ophthalmology, Herlev Hospital, University of Copenhagen, Herlev Ringvej 75, DK 2750 Herlev, Denmark
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:1017-22. 2005..To describe a method for quantitative mapping of metamorphopsia and abnormalities of oculocentric direction in subjects with epiretinal membranes...
- Binocular vision with primary microstrabismusRonald S Harwerth
College of Optometry, University of Houston, Houston, Texas 77204, USA
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 44:4293-306. 2003..The purpose of these experiments was to determine whether microstrabismic subjects have sensory abnormalities that could give rise to a small angle of strabismus...
- Evaluation of drug-induced QT interval prolongation: implications for drug approval and labellingM Malik
Department of Cardiological Sciences, St George s Hospital Medical School, London, England
Drug Saf 24:323-51. 2001..However, the correspondence between different preclinical models is not absolute...
- Correspondence of continuous interstitial glucose measurement against arterialised and capillary glucose following an oral glucose tolerance test in healthy volunteersLouise Dye
Institute of Psychological Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Br J Nutr 103:134-40. 2010..Data were compared using Bland-Altman plots that showed good correspondence between all pairs of measurements. Concordance between the three methods was 0...
- Assessment of image registration accuracy in three-dimensional transrectal ultrasound guided prostate biopsyV V Karnik
Biomedical Engineering Graduate Program, The University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario N6A 5C1, Canada
Med Phys 37:802-13. 2010..Thus, registration is a critically important step required to determine these transformations so that correspondence is maintained between the prebiopsied image and the real-time image...
- CRCNS: Dimensionality Reduction in Cortico-Muscular Control of the HandMarc Schieber; Fiscal Year: 2009..recorded data-neuronal, muscular and kinematic-we will take the novel, comprehensive approach of comparing the correspondence between the reduced spaces at all three levels...
- CRCNS: Dimensionality Reduction in Cortico-Muscular Control of the HandNITISH VYOMESH THAKOR; Fiscal Year: 2010..recorded data-neuronal, muscular and kinematic-we will take the novel, comprehensive approach of comparing the correspondence between the reduced spaces at all three levels...
- ANALYSIS OF ANXIOLYTICS AS DISCRIMINATIVE STIMULINANCY ATOR; Fiscal Year: 1991..animals to provide data relevant to issues of vulnerability to sedative/anxiolytic drug abuse and to the correspondence between molecular mechanisms of action and stimulus effects of anxiolytics...
- Correlation of Functional and Structural Units in Cerebral CortexNoam Harel; Fiscal Year: 2010..Building on our pervious findings, we will explore the spatial correspondence of fMRI signals with the underlying vascular organization...
- Correlation of Functional and Structural Units in Cerebral CortexNoam Harel; Fiscal Year: 2009..Building on our pervious findings, we will explore the spatial correspondence of fMRI signals with the underlying vascular organization...
- EVOLUTION, SELECTION & ORIGINS OF CLASS I MHC MOLECULESPeter Parham; Fiscal Year: 2001..Unexpectedly, the MHC class I genes of humans and mice have no one-to-one correspondence (orthology) and this pattern is reiterated in many other mammalian species...
- INTERCELLULAR COORDINATION OF BLOOD FLOW CONTROLSTEVEN SEGAL; Fiscal Year: 1999..Foremost, the correspondence between vasomotor activity and electrical events in the cells which comprise arterioles is undefined...
- MIGRAINE DRUG PROPHYLAXISMichael Moskowitz; Fiscal Year: 2007..successfully tested so far in this model, and to expand the list of tested drugs in an attempt to establish a correspondence between animal and human drug treatments and to validate the rodent model...
- Adolescent Maturation of Brain Network Integration for Executive Control AbilitieMichael Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, because the study of brain functional connectivity is in its infancy, the probable correspondence between supposed 'top down' neural system influence and higher-order executive cognition has never ..
- NIRS Optical Topography System - Hitachi ETG-4000Allan Reiss; Fiscal Year: 2007..integrating NIRS data with genetic markers, neuropsychological and physiological measures, and testing the correspondence of NIRS with other functional neuroimaging techniques...
- SYNTHETIC SUBSTANCES CONTROLLING REPRODUCTIONJean Rivier; Fiscal Year: 2005..Additionally, this model was helpful in identifying a putative one-to-one correspondence with elements of a potent non-peptide ligand (T-98475)...
- Learning to read and comprehend a second languageChuansheng Chen; Fiscal Year: 2010..via the "addressed phonology"-learning to read 60 Hangul characters that do not follow grapheme-to-phoneme correspondence (GPC) rules, whereas the other half will be trained to learn the Hangul via the "assembled phonology...
- Learning to read and comprehend a second languageChuansheng Chen; Fiscal Year: 2009..via the "addressed phonology"-learning to read 60 Hangul characters that do not follow grapheme-to-phoneme correspondence (GPC) rules, whereas the other half will be trained to learn the Hangul via the "assembled phonology...
- CELL-SPECIFIC EXPRESSION IN THE PITUITARY GLANDSally Camper; Fiscal Year: 2007..engineered mice have proven the roles of several transcription factors and signaling molecules, and the correspondence with human pituitary disease is outstanding...
- UNIT CONTROL OF MUSCLE BLOOD FLOWSTEVEN SEGAL; Fiscal Year: 2000..However, the anatomical correspondence among MVUs which supply a fiber or fiber bundle is not understood...
- INTERMEDIATES AND TRANSBILAYER PEPTIDESMartin Caffrey; Fiscal Year: 2001..Dr. Caffrey will use this correspondence to test two aspects of the stalk theory as a basis for biomembrane fusion, and also test a hypothesis about ..
- ANALYSIS OF ANXIOLYTICS AS DISCRIMINATIVE STIMULINANCY ATOR; Fiscal Year: 1993..The DD paradigm is promising in its ability to provide unique insight into the degree of correspondence between a rather specific behavioral effect and that drug's activity in a specific neurotransmitter system...
- OPTICAL BIOPSY USING OPTICAL COHERENCE TOMOGRAPHYJAMES FUJIMOTO; Fiscal Year: 1999..resolutions of 15-20 microns to examine neoplastic changes in tissue from various organ systems and establish correspondence with histopathology...
- Adolescent Maturation of Brain Network Integration for Executive Control AbilitieMichael Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2009..However, because the study of brain functional connectivity is in its infancy, the probable correspondence between supposed `top-down' neural system influence and higher-order executive cognition has never been ..
- Adolescent Maturation of Brain Network Integration for Executive Control AbilitieMichael C Stevens; Fiscal Year: 2010..However, because the study of brain functional connectivity is in its infancy, the probable correspondence between supposed `top-down'neural system influence and higher-order executive cognition has never been ..
- Rhesus-Human Adrenal Comparisons During AgingCharles Parker; Fiscal Year: 2002..Much of the problem in this regard results from a lack of correspondence in the profile of androgens that the human secretes from its adrenal cortex among the commonly utilized ..
- NMDA RECEPTOR AND BEHAVIORAL TOXICITY OF LEADDeborah Cory Slechta; Fiscal Year: 1993..the nature of Pb- induced changes in NMDA and MK-801 sensitivity at the level of the whole animal, any correspondence between sensitivity changes and NMDA receptor complex changes, and the conditions under which sensitivity ..
- The Biological Basis of Diffusion MRI of the BrainAdam W Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2010..This project aims to test the correspondence between diffusion MRI and the distribution of myelinated fibers in the primate brain...
- The Biological Basis of Diffusion MRI of the BrainAdam Anderson; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project aims to test the correspondence between diffusion MRI and the distribution of myelinated fibers in the primate brain...
- ATTRIBUTIONAL PROCESSES IN ADULTHOOD & AGINGFredda Blanchard Fields; Fiscal Year: 2006..series of studies aims 1) to establish age differences social judgment biases in a new context assessing the correspondence bias and 2) to examine the joint influence of plausible mechanisms accounting for these age differences: ..
- FAILURE MECHANISMS OF REVISION JOINT REPLACEMENTJoan Bechtold; Fiscal Year: 2009..our experimental model of revision joint replacement in an earlier funding period, and established its correspondence with clinical studies...
- PREVENTION OF WEIGHT GAIN IN WOMEN AGED 25 THROUGH 34Mary Klem; Fiscal Year: 2002..will be randomly assigned to 1 of 3 treatment formats (group meetings designed to appeal to women aged 25- 34, correspondence course, no-treatment control)...