- Paleontological evidence to date the tree of life
Michael J Benton
Department of Earth Sciences, Wills Memorial Building, Queen s Road, Bristol BS8 1RJ, UK
Mol Biol Evol 24:26-53. 2007
..We provide "hard" minimum and "soft" maximum age constraints for 30 divergences among key genome model organisms; these should contribute to better understanding of the dating of the animal tree of life...
- Review of the chronology of clinical manifestations in 60 patients with Behçet's disease
Department of Dermatology, Akdeniz University School of Medicine, Antalya, Turkey
Dermatology 207:354-6. 2003
..The natural course of Behçet's disease is not fully known...
- Knowledge of chronology of optic disc stereophotographs influences the determination of glaucomatous change
William and Anna Goldberg Glaucoma Service, Wills Eye Hospital, Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Ophthalmology 112:40-3. 2005
To determine the influence of knowledge of the chronology with which stereoscopic photographs of the optic disc were obtained on how the photographs are interpreted.
- Long-term fire frequency not linked to prehistoric occupations in northern Swedish boreal forest
Center of Bio Archaeology and Ecology UMR5059 CNRS USTL EPHE, Institut de Botanique, 163 rue Broussonet, F 34090 Montpellier, France
Ecology 88:465-77. 2007
..Although recent human activities between the 18th and the 20th centuries have clearly affected the fire regime, the dominant factor controlling it for 10000 years in northern Sweden has probably been climatic...
- Chronology of primate discoveries in Myanmar: influences on the anthropoid origins debate
Russell L Ciochon
Department of Anthropology, University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa 52242 1322, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol . 2002
..It appears possible that true anthropoids were an ancient radiation that may have been part of a Gondwanan (southern hemisphere) community that is, at present, poorly sampled and little understood...
- Accelerator mass spectrometry at Arizona: geochronology of the climatic record and connections with the ocean
A J T Jull
NSF Arizona AMS Laboratory, University of Arizona, 1118 E Fourth Street, Tucson, AZ 85721, USA
ScientificWorldJournal 2:1579-93. 2002
..We discuss some applications carried out in Tucson, AZ, for several of these fields and hope to give some idea of the breadth of these studies...
- A Mid-Upper Palaeolithic human humerus from Eel Point, South Wales, UK
Rick J Schulting
School of Archaeology and Palaeoecology, Queen s University Belfast, Belfast BT7 1NN, UK
J Hum Evol 48:493-505. 2005
..Stable carbon and nitrogen isotope measurements do not support certain use of marine foods but highlight the need for more research on contemporary faunal remains in order to better interpret human values from this period...
- Extending the chronology of deposits at Blombos Cave, South Africa, back to 140 ka using optical dating of single and multiple grains of quartz
School of Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong, NSW 2522, Australia
J Hum Evol 51:255-73. 2006
- A millennium of metallurgy recorded by lake sediments from Morococha, Peruvian Andes
Colin A Cooke
Department of Geology and Planetary Science, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15260, USA
Environ Sci Technol 41:3469-74. 2007
..Our results represent the first evidence for pre-Colonial smelting in the central Peruvian Andes, and corroborate the sensitivity of lake sediments to pre-Colonial metallurgical activity suggested by earlier findings from Bolivia...
- New dates for the Fontéchevade (Charente, France) Homo remains
Philip G Chase
University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104, USA
J Hum Evol 52:217-21. 2007
..This paper reports on recent ESR and radiocarbon dates that indicate that the specimen almost certainly dates to oxygen isotope stage 3, which brings it in line with other evidence for the entry of modern Homo sapiens into Europe...
- Assessing four decades of Medicare, Medicaid
Mod Healthc 35:6-7, 24, 42, 1. 2005
..A look at the past, present and possible future of these important programs begins on Page 6...
- The evolution of hospice in America: nursing's role in the movement
Rosemary L Hoffmann
University of Pittsburgh School of Nursing, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Gerontol Nurs 31:26-34; quiz 53-4. 2005
..Existing issues with the modern movement are also discussed...
- Phases in the postwar German reception of the "Euthanasia Program" (1939-1945) involving the killing of the mentally disabled and its exploitation by neuroscientists
Institute for Brain Research, Eberhard Karls University of Tubingen
J Hist Neurosci 15:210-44. 2006
..I attempt to distinguish five phases in the debate in light of the political background between 1945 until the present...
- [Molecular dating in the genomic era]
Emmanuel J P Douzery
Laboratoire de Paléontologie, Phylogénie et Paléobiologie CC064, Institut des Sciences de l Evolution UMR 5554 CNRS, Universite Montpellier II, Place E Bataillon, 34095 Montpellier Cedex 05, France
Med Sci (Paris) 22:374-80. 2006
The comparison of DNA and protein sequences of extant species might be informative for reconstructing the chronology of evolutionary events on Earth...
- Timing of the Lower to Middle Paleolithic boundary: new dates from the Levant
Geological Survey of Israel, 30 Malkhe Israel Street, Jerusalem 95501, Israel
J Hum Evol 43:107-22. 2002
..In the light of these findings, the "early chronology" for the region, based on the TL dates on burned flint from Tabun, is discussed.
- Pollution historical trends as recorded by sediments at selected sites of the Venice Lagoon
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Istituto di Scienze Marine Sezione di Geologia Marina, Via Gobetti, 101, 40129 Bologna, Italy
Environ Int 31:1011-22. 2005
..1-39 microg kg(-1) for PCBs. In any case, the recent trend is toward a decrease of pollutant concentration. The chronology of cores E and M3 is based on both 210Pb and 137Cs activity-depth profiles...
- The historical record of PAH, PCB, trace metal and fly-ash particle deposition at a remote lake in north-west Scotland
Neil L Rose
Environmental Change Research Centre, University College London, UK
Environ Pollut 117:121-32. 2002
..Comparison with remote European mountain lakes shows Loch Coire nan Arr to be one of the least contaminated sites in Europe with respect to PCBs, but more contaminated with respect to PAHs...
- Relationship between time of day, day of week, timeliness of reperfusion, and in-hospital mortality for patients with acute ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction
David J Magid
Clinical Research Unit, Kaiser Permanente, Denver, USA
JAMA 294:803-12. 2005
..Understanding how door-to-drug and door-to-balloon times vary by time of day and day of week can inform the design of interventions to improve the timeliness of reperfusion therapy...
- Constraints on the use of 137Cs as a time-marker to support CRS and SIT chronologies
J M Abril
Dpto Física Aplicada I University of Seville, E U I T A, Carretera de Utrera Km 1, D P 41013, Seville, Spain
Environ Pollut 129:31-7. 2004
..Two main arguments will support this assertion: Firstly, the (137)Cs time-marks cannot support a CRS or SIT chronology if the derived sedimentation rates cannot explain the whole (137)Cs activity profile without postulating mixing...
- Intercomparison of alpha and gamma spectrometry techniques used in (210)Pb geochronology
Institute of Oceanology, Polish Academy of Sciences, Powstancow Warszawy 55, 81 712 Sopot, Poland
J Environ Radioact 93:38-50. 2007
..The inherent compatibility of analytical results based on alpha or gamma techniques is established...
- Date of first positive HIV test: reliability of information collected for HIV/AIDS surveillance in the United States
H Irene Hall
Division of HIV AIDS Prevention, National Center for HIV, STD and TB Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Public Health Rep 120:89-95. 2005
..This study examined the reliability of the first positive HIV test date reported in the U.S. HIV/AIDS Reporting System (HARS). This date is essential to determine case counts for resource allocation for HIV treatment and prevention efforts...
- Inter- and intra-annual variations of Pb/Ca ratios in clam shells (Mercenaria mercenaria): a record of anthropogenic lead pollution?
David P Gillikin
Department of Analytical and Environmental Chemistry, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, B 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Mar Pollut Bull 50:1530-40. 2005
..Despite this variability, we were able to obtain an annual Pb chronology from 1949 to 2002 using 11 shells collected at different times which clearly exhibited the late 1970's peak in ..
- The micromammalian fauna from the Leilao, Yuanmou hominoid locality: implications for biochronology and paleoecology
Institute of Vertebrate Paleontology and Paleoanthropology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, 100044, China
J Hum Evol 42:535-46. 2002
..The micromammalian fauna indicates a predominantly forested habitat, with marginal environments consisting of bush-grassland...
- Inferring Plio-Pleistocene southern African biochronology from facial affinities in Parapapio and other fossil papionins
F L Williams
Department of Anthropology, Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Am J Phys Anthropol 132:163-74. 2007
..jonesi from Sterkfontein (STS 565) differ considerably from one another. Other Parapapio specimens across sites form a separate cluster with P. izodi from Taung, suggesting a Pliocene age for this site...
- The price of privacy. Historic patient privacy regulations win immediate praise from hospital lobby, but political ripples show debate is far from over
Mod Healthc 32:8-9, 16, 3. 2002
..But the industry's stance may lead to a public relations nightmare down the road, as it places them in opposition to patient advocates and some lawmakers...
- Climate effects on fire regimes and tree recruitment in Black Hills ponderosa pine forests
Peter M Brown
Rocky Mountain Tree Ring Research, Inc, 2901 Moore Lane, Fort Collins, Colorado 80526, USA
Ecology 87:2500-10. 2006
- The triplet code from first principles
E N Trifonov
Genome Diversity Center, Institute of Evolution, University of Haifa, Haifa 31905, Israel
J Biomol Struct Dyn 22:1-11. 2004
Temporal order ("chronology") of appearance of amino acids and their respective codons on evolutionary scene is reconstructed...
- An annotated chronology of the history of AIDS in Toronto: the first five years, 1981-1986
Mark L Robertson
Scott Library, York University
Can Bull Med Hist 22:313-51. 2005
The purpose of this annotated chronology is to help provide a framework for research into the history of the first five years of the AIDS epidemic in Canada but especially as it unfolded in Toronto, Canada...
- [Preparation of a "chronological table of main diseases in Japanese history" for pharmacy students of the 6-year program]
Yakushigaku Zasshi 40:137-46. 2005
..Today, cancer, diseases of cerebral vessels, heart diseases, and pneumonia are the four most important causes of death related to aging...
- Who has time to sleep?
RAND Corporation, Santa Monica, CA 90407, USA
J Public Health (Oxf) 27:205-11. 2005
..I examined whether marital status, educational background, and other sociodemographic variables are associated with higher-risk sleep durations...
- Year in review 2002
Mod Healthc 32:22-4. 2002
..And debate over provider reimbursement rates, staffing shortages and more double-digit increases in the cost of healthcare coverage also made headlines...
- A spike in fatal medication errors at the beginning of each month
David P Phillips
Department of Sociology and the San Diego Center for Patient Safety, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, California 92093 0533, USA
Pharmacotherapy 25:1-9. 2005
..Evidence suggested that the spike in medication error deaths cannot be solely attributed to a spike in the consumption of alcohol or drugs. An increase in pharmacy error rates might play a role...
- Retention/quantitation properties of the o-phthaldialdehyde-3-mercaptopropionic acid and the o-phthaldialdehyde-N-acetyl-L-cysteine amino acid derivatives in reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography
Institute of Inorganic and Analytical Chemistry, , Budapest, Hungary
J Chromatogr A 870:271-87. 2000
..Derivatization of the apple pulp was performed with filtered samples, applying any special isolation processes...
- Exploring if day and time of admission is associated with average length of stay among inpatients from a tertiary hospital in Singapore: an analytic study based on routine admission data
Department of Clinical Epidemiology, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
BMC Health Serv Res 6:6. 2006
..We investigated if day and time of admission is associated with LOS in Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), a 1,400 bed acute care tertiary hospital serving the central and northern regions of Singapore...
- Scoring of radiographic progression in randomised clinical trials in ankylosing spondylitis: a preference for paired reading order
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Rheumatology, University Hospital Maastricht, PO Box 5800, 6202 AZ Maastricht, The Netherlands
Ann Rheum Dis 63:1601-4. 2004
..To investigate whether this method is sufficiently sensitive to change because paired reading is requested for establishing drug efficacy in clinical trials...
- Probability of coincident vaccination in the 24 or 48 hours preceding sudden infant death syndrome death in Australia
Julia M L Brotherton
National Centre for Immunisation Research and Surveillance of Vaccine Preventable Diseases, Children s Hospital at Westmead, University of Sydney, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Pediatrics 115:e643-6. 2005
..This study aimed to determine the probability that an Australian infant who has died of SIDS was vaccinated in the days before death...
- Chronological analysis of architectural and acoustical indices in music performance halls
Architecture Technology Research Center School of Architecture, University of Florida, 231 ARCH, P O Box 115702, Gainesville, Florida 32611, USA
J Acoust Soc Am 121:2691-9. 2007
..in five specific periods from the Classical Period (1751-1820) to the Contemporary Period (1981-2000) based on chronology in music and architectural acoustics...
- GeoSentinel: the global emerging infections sentinel network of the International Society of Travel Medicine
D O Freedman
Division of Geographic Medicine, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Birmingham, Alabama 35294, USA
J Travel Med 6:94-8. 1999
..The demographic data, travel patterns, and clinical presentations for the first 2813 patient records analyzed from the GeoSentinel sites are summarized in this paper...
- Epidemiology of incident spinal fracture in a complete population
Department of Surgery, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto, Canada
Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 21:492-9. 1996
..Ambulatory care of spine injuries is more common than hospital care. Two peaks of incidence occur-in young men and elderly women. Future decisions for research, public health policy, and resource allocation can be based on these data...
- Training physicians about smoking cessation: a controlled trial in private practice
S R Cummings
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94143-0320
J Gen Intern Med 4:482-9. 1989
..There is a need for more effective strategies to help physicians help their patients to quit smoking...
- Glomerular cells, extracellular matrix accumulation, and the development of glomerulosclerosis in the remnant kidney model
Department of Medicine, University of Washington, Seattle
Lab Invest 66:485-97. 1992
..To investigate the chronology of accumulation of ECM components as it relates to previously described cellular events, biopsies were obtained ..
- A brief history of the pathology of the gonads
Robert H Young
James Homer Wright Pathology Laboratories, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Mod Pathol 18:S3-S17. 2005
..All the above have left a rich legacy which those who follow in their path will be challenged to equal...
- Interrelations between sleep and the somatotropic axis
E Van Cauter
Department of Medicine, University of Chicago, Ill 60637, USA
Sleep 21:553-66. 1998
..During aging, SW sleep and GH secretion decrease with the same chronology, raising the possibility that the peripheral effects of the hyposomatotropism of the elderly may partially ..
- Scientific basis for the use of Indian ayurvedic medicinal plants in the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders: ashwagandha
M R Ven Murthy
Department of Medical Biology, Faculty of Medicine, Laval University, Laval, Quebec, Canada G1K 7P4, Canada
Cent Nerv Syst Agents Med Chem 10:238-46. 2010
..Some of the major points on its use in the treatment of neurodegenerative disorders are described below...
- Detection, treatment, and control of adult hypertension in northwest Indiana. Ispat Inland/United Steelworkers of America Health Care Network
W J Elliott
Department of Preventive Medicine, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, Illinois 60612, USA
Am J Hypertens 12:830-4. 1999
- [Value of cine magnetic resonance imaging in the diagnosis and quantification of valvular regurgitation. Comparison with angiography and Doppler echocardiography]
Service de cardiologie, , Strasbourg
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 82:1659-68. 1989
..Valvular regurgitations present as "signal void" jets the chronology and spatial extension of which depend on the severity of the lesion...
- Economic burden of atopic manifestations in patients with atopic dermatitis--analysis of administrative claims
Dong Churl Suh
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy, Rutgers University, 160 Frelinghuysen Road, Piscataway, NJ 08854, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 13:778-89. 2007
..Atopic dermatitis (AD) has been associated with atopic manifestations (AMs), such as food allergies, asthma, allergic rhinitis, and allergic conjunctivitis...
- Administrative claims analysis of utilization and costs of care in health plan members with atopic dermatitis who had prior use of a topical corticosteroid and who initiate therapy with pimecrolimus or tacrolimus
Thomas E Delea
Policy Analysis Inc, Brookline, Massachusetts 02445, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 13:349-59. 2007
..Comparative data on the effects of pimecrolimus versus tacrolimus on AD-related health care utilization and costs among similar patients seen in typical clinical practice are currently unavailable...
- Developmental, neuro and immunotoxic effects of perinatal diazepam treatment in rats
F R Silva
Department of Pathology, School of Veterinary Medicine, , Brasil
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 21:247-65. 1999
..These results, which occurred in the absence of overt signs of maternal or fetal toxicity, demonstrate developmental, neuro- and immunotoxic effects of perinatal diazepam treatment in rats...
- Medical doctors profile in Ethiopia: production, attrition and retention. In memory of 100-years Ethiopian modern medicine & the new Ethiopian millennium
Hwassa University, Medical Faculty, P O Box 1560
Ethiop Med J 46:1-77. 2008
..Although the practice of western medicine in Ethiopia dates back to the time of King Libne Dengel (1520-1535), organized and sustainable modern medical practice started after the battle of Adwa (1896)...
- Direct all-cause health care costs associated with chronic kidney disease in patients with diabetes and hypertension: a managed care perspective
Groupe d Analyse, Ltee 1080 Beaver Hall Hill, Suite 1810, Montreal QC H2Z1S8, Canada
J Manag Care Pharm 15:312-22. 2009
..The rate of chronic kidney disease (CKD) secondary to diabetes and/or hypertension is on the rise, and the related health care costs represent a significant economic burden...
- Some thoughts on ICPD+5
World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Bull World Health Organ 77:767-70. 1999
..The trend towards the feminist agenda explains the continuing tensions, so vociferously expressed during the ICPD+5 process, between conservatives and progressive groups...
- Early mobilization following carpal tunnel release. A prospective randomized study
A C Cook
Kaiser Permenente, Davis, Sacramento, California, USA
J Hand Surg Br 20:228-30. 1995
..We recommend a home physiotherapy programme in which the wrist and fingers are exercised separately to avoid simultaneous finger and wrist flexion, which is the position most prone to cause bowstringing...
- Dating people with anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa: attitudes and beliefs of university students
Division of Nutritional Sciences, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853, USA
Women Health 27:73-88. 1998
..Most students believed dating people with anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa would not be a positive experience, and men stigmatized people with eating disorders differently than did women...
- [Medical strategy in patients awaiting emergency heart transplantation]
J L Dubois-Rande
CHU Henri Mondor, Creteil
Arch Mal Coeur Vaiss 83:103-8. 1990
..After investigations to detect contra-indications to cardiac transplantation, 12 of the 30 patients remained candidates for cardiac transplantation.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Past, present, and future life on Mars
C P McKay
Space Science Division, NASA Ames Research Center, Moffett Field, CA, USA
Gravit Space Biol Bull 11:41-50. 1998
..In the longer term, it is possible that in the future we might restore a habitable climate on Mars, returning it to the life-bearing state it may have enjoyed early in its history...
- Effectiveness of mesoglycan in patients with previous deep venous thrombosis and chronic venous insufficiency
G M Andreozzi
Angiology Care Unit, University Hospital of Padua, Padua, Italy
Minerva Cardioangiol 55:741-53. 2007
- Humanistic, utilization, and cost outcomes associated with the use of botulinum toxin for treatment of refractory migraine headaches in a managed care organization
Matthew P Mitchell
Pharmacy Services, SelectHealth, 4646 West Lake Park, Suite N3, Salt Lake City, UT 84107, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 14:442-50. 2008
- Patterns of syphilis testing in the elderly
B J Naughton
Northwestern University Medical School, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, Illinois
J Gen Intern Med 7:273-5. 1992
..INTERVENTIONS: None. MEASUREMENTS AND MAIN RESULTS: The chronology and results of syphilis tests were abstracted from the medical records...
- Avoiding missed opportunities for immunization in the Central African Republic: potential impact on vaccination coverage
J G Kahn
Institute for Health Policy Studies, University of California, San Francisco, 94109, USA
Bull World Health Organ 73:47-55. 1995
..The method used serves as a valuable adjunct to evaluations of missed opportunities based on exit interviews at health facilities.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 250 WORDS)..
- Sexually transmitted viruses
Department of Microbiology and Immunology, Pennsylvania State University, College of Medicine, Hershey
Yale J Biol Med 62:173-85. 1989
..This paper touches on various aspects of the biology, pathogenesis, clinical manifestations, and, where applicable, oncogenicity of these agents, as well as current treatments and vaccine initiatives...
E Neil Schachter
Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY 10029, USA
Drugs Today (Barc) 42:237-47. 2006
..Preliminary clinical studies suggest a favorable clinical effect in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Cilomilast is generally well tolerated and has not generated safety concerns in reported clinical studies...
- [The developmental effects of an early intervention program for very low birthweight infants]
Department of Rehabilitation, Nagasaki University Hospital, Nagasaki
No To Hattatsu 33:31-6. 2001
..These results suggested that EIP was effective in promoting the neonatal neurobehavioral development of very low birthweight infants...
- The management of tuberculosis: epidemiology, resistance and monitoring
Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen S, Denmark
Dan Med Bull 57:B4213. 2010
..The new extended mutation assay has proved to be a useful tool, which has now been included in the World Health Organization's policy to combat and prevent new cases of MDR and extensively drug-resistant TB...
- Early pregnancy predictors of preterm birth: the role of a prolonged menstruation-conception interval
Division of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, School of Human Development, Queen s Medical Centre, Nottingham
BJOG 107:228-37. 2000
..To study early pregnancy characteristics as possible risk factors associated with preterm birth...
- Health care resources and costs for treating peripheral artery disease in a managed care population: results from analysis of administrative claims data
HealthCore, Inc, Wilmington, DE 19801 1366, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 11:727-34. 2005
- Mortality from overdose among injecting drug users recently released from prison: database linkage study
S R Seaman
Medical Research Council Biostatistics Unit, Institute of Public Health, Cambridge
BMJ 316:426-8. 1998
..5 (1.7 to 11.7) for death from overdose. After temporal matching these risks became 1.8 (0.4 to 9.2). CONCLUSION: Prisons should evaluate interventions to reduce the risk of death from overdose after release...
- Community-based evaluation survey of immunizations in Burkina Faso
, Paris, France
Bull World Health Organ 70:583-90. 1992
..These rates could be compared in the 5-year period preceding the survey, and showed a decreasing trend consistent with routine surveillance data...
- The world of beta- and gamma-peptides comprised of homologated proteinogenic amino acids and other components
Laboratorium fur Organische Chemie, Eidgenossische Technische Hochschule, ETH Honggerberg, Wolfgang Pauli Strasse 10, CH 8093 Zurich
Chem Biodivers 1:1111-239. 2004
- Reproductive performance in the subsequent lactation of dairy cows previously treated for failure to be detected in oestrus
Animal Health Centre, PO Box 21, Morrinsville, New Zealand
N Z Vet J 54:132-40. 2006
..To describe the effect of treatment of cows not detected in oestrus (NDO) with progesterone (P4) and oestradiol benzoate (ODB) in one lactation, on the reproductive and productive performance in the subsequent lactation...
- Responses in the start of Betula (birch) pollen seasons to recent changes in spring temperatures across Europe
National Pollen Research Unit, University College, Worcester WR2 6AJ, UK
Int J Biometeorol 46:159-70. 2002
..Following this work, amendments will be needed to pollen calendars and local predictive models. It will also be important to assess the implications of earlier seasons for allergy sufferers...
- 3-year results of a member and physician intervention to reduce risk associated with glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis in a health plan
Mona M Chitre
Excellus Health Plans Pharmacy Management, Rochester, NY 14647, USA mona chitre flrx com
J Manag Care Pharm 14:281-90. 2008
..Recommendations for prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis include therapy with a bisphosphonate or calcitonin for patients taking a prednisone equivalent of 5 mg per day or more for 3 months or more...
- Changes in the pollen seasons of the early flowering trees Alnus spp. and Corylus spp. in Worcester, United Kingdom, 1996-2005
National Pollen and Aerobiology Research Unit, University of Worcester, WR2 6AJ, Worcester, UK
Int J Biometeorol 51:181-91. 2007
..The analysis has provided insight to the variation in the seasons for these early flowering trees and will form a basis for future work on building predictive models for these taxa...
- The action of selection on codon bias in the human genome is related to frequency, complexity, and chronology of amino acids
Department of Computer Science, Tel Hai Academic College, Upper Galilee, 12210, Israel
BMC Genomics 7:67. 2006
- Mortality patterns among industrial workers exposed to chloroprene and other substances. I. General mortality patterns
Gary M Marsh
Department of Biostatistics, Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, 130 DeSoto Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15261, USA
Chem Biol Interact 166:285-300. 2007
..submitted for publication)...
- Antidepressant-associated mood elevations in bipolar II disorder compared with bipolar I disorder and major depressive disorder: a systematic review and meta-analysis
David J Bond
Research and International Affairs, Mood Disorders Centre, Department of Psychiatry, University of British Columbia, Room 2C7, 2255 Wesbrook Mall, Vancouver, BC V6T 2A1 Canada
J Clin Psychiatry 69:1589-601. 2008
..The risk of antidepressant-associated mood elevations (AAME) in bipolar II disorder relative to bipolar I disorder and MDD is unknown...
- Continuity in methylphenidate treatment of adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons New York State Psychiatric Institute, New York, NY 10032, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 13:570-7. 2007
..Although stimulant therapy is commonly discontinued early in adults with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), the factors that contribute to continuity of stimulant therapy remain largely unknown...
- Seasonal variations in bulk tissue, fatty acid and monosaccharide delta(13)C values of leaves from mesotrophic grassland plant communities under different grazing managements
Jennifer A J Dungait
Organic Geochemistry Unit, Bristol Biogeochemistry Research Centre, University of Bristol, School of Chemistry, Cantocks Close, Bristol BS8 1TS, UK
Phytochemistry 71:415-28. 2010
- Fundus photographic, fluorescein angiographic, and indocyanine green angiographic signs in successful laser chorioretinal venous anastomosis for central retinal vein occlusion
D J Browning
Charlotte Eye, Ear, Nose, and Throat Associates, North Carolina 28204, USA
Ophthalmology 106:2261-8. 1999
To describe the fundus signs and angiographic signs that accompany development of a laser-induced chorioretinal venous anastomosis in central retinal vein occlusion and to describe the chronology of the signs.
- Hepatic lipid metabolism in transition dairy cows fed flaxseed
H V Petit
Dairy and Swine Research and Development Centre, Agriculture and Agri Food Canada, PO Box 90, STN Lennoxville, Sherbrooke, Quebec, J1M 1Z3, Canada
J Dairy Sci 90:4780-92. 2007
- Cephalic index is not a useful sonographic marker for trisomy 21 and trisomy 18
Kenneth I Lim
Centre for Prenatal Diagnosis and Treatment, British Columbia Women s Hospital, and The Division, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada
Fetal Diagn Ther 19:491-5. 2004
..To evaluate whether the cephalic index (CI) in trisomy 21 (T21) and trisomy 18 (T18) fetuses is different from that in euploid fetuses, and if so, is this difference of clinical utility...
- Successful promotion of hepatitis B vaccinations among Vietnamese-American children ages 3 to 18: results of a controlled trial
Stephen J McPhee
Suc Khoe La Vang Health is Gold, the Vietnamese Community Health Promotion Project, Division of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco 94102, USA
Pediatrics 111:1278-88. 2003
..To address this problem, we designed and tested in a controlled trial 2 public health outreach "catch-up" campaigns for this population...
- Transplantation activities in Iran
Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Exp Clin Transplant 3:333-7. 2005
..The hospital offers great promise for transplant medicine in Iran and other Persian Gulf countries...
- [Bibliometric analysis of systematic reviews in the Neonatal Cochrane Collaboration. Its role in evidence-based decision making in neonatology]
J Gonzalez de Dios
Departamento de Pediatria, Hospital Universitario San Juan, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Prof Manual Sala 6, 3 o A 03003 Alicante, Spain
An Pediatr (Barc) 60:417-27. 2004
- The 'human revolution' in lowland tropical Southeast Asia: the antiquity and behavior of anatomically modern humans at Niah Cave (Sarawak, Borneo)
McDonald Institute for Archaeological Research, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3ER, UK
J Hum Evol 52:243-61. 2007
..The Niah evidence demonstrates the sophisticated nature of the subsistence behavior developed by modern humans to exploit the tropical environments that they encountered in Southeast Asia, including rainforest...
- Detection of specific antibodies in cord blood, infant and maternal saliva and breast milk to staphylococcal toxins implicated in sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS)
Linda M Harrison
Department of Pathology, Royal Lancaster Infirmary, Lancaster LA1 4RP, UK
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 42:94-104. 2004
..In conclusion, passive immunity to toxins implicated in SIDS cases varies greatly among infants. Infants are able to mount an active mucosal immune response to TSST-1 and SEC in the first month of life...
- The effect of neonatal jaundice on biotinidase activity
Kleopatra H Schulpis
Institute of Child Health, Aghia Sophia Children s Hospital, 11527, Athens, Greece
Early Hum Dev 72:15-24. 2003
..Jaundice is one of the most common and one of the vexing problems that can occur in newborns. A newborn screening test for biotinidase deficiency has been added to many national screening programmes...
- Incidence of pediatric and neonatal intensive care unit-acquired infections
Shailendra N Banerjee
Division of Healthcare Quality Promotion, National Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 27:561-70. 2006
..To compare the cumulative incidence of infections acquired in the pediatric intensive care unit (PICU) and neonatal intensive care unit (NICU)...
- Development of a staff recall system for mass casualty incidents using cell phone text messaging
Richard H Epstein
Department of Anesthesiology, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, 111 S 11th St, Suite 5480G, Philadelphia, PA 19107, USA
Anesth Analg 110:871-8. 2010
..Because cell phone use is widespread within the department, we developed and tested a staff recall system, based in our anesthesia information management system (AIMS), using Short Message Service (SMS) text messaging...
- [Chronology of embryonic development of the strain "Espiguette" with or without diapause in Locusta migratoria Linnaeus (Orthoptera: Acrididae)]
Laboratoire de biosystématique et écologie des arthropodes, Faculté des Sciences de la Nature et de la Vie, Departement de Biologie Animale, Université Mentouri Constantine, route d Aïn El Bey, 25 000 Constantine, Algerie
C R Biol 332:613-22. 2009
Examination of the eggs taken every 24 hours after laying enabled us to study the chronology of the embryonic development of the "Espiguette" strain of L. migratoria L...
- Chronology of meiosis & synaptonemal complex abnormalities in normal & abnormal spermatogenesis
Laboratoire de Biologie de la Reproduction, AP HM, Hopital de la Conception, Marseille, France
Indian J Med Res 129:268-78. 2009
- Rates and risk factors for subsequent tonsillectomy after prior adenoidectomy: a regression analysis
David J Kay
Center for Pediatric ENT Head and Neck Surgery, Boynton Beach, FL 33437, USA
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 131:252-5. 2005
..To determine the role of adenoidectomy without concurrent tonsillectomy in the treatment of upper airway obstruction, by determining rates and risk factors for subsequent tonsillectomy...
- Access to specialist gastroenterology care in Canada: the Practice Audit in Gastroenterology (PAGE) Wait Times Program
McMaster Health Sciences Centre, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Can J Gastroenterol 22:155-60. 2008
..Wait times for gastroenterology consultation and procedures have not been studied, although digestive diseases pose a greater economic burden in Canada than cancer or heart disease...
- Modeling spawning dates of Hucho taimen in Mongolia to establish fishery management zones
M Jake Vander Zanden
Center for Limnology, University of Wisconsin Madison, 680 N Park St, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Ecol Appl 17:2281-9. 2007
- Adolescent vaccination: coverage achieved by ages 13-15 years, and vaccinations received as recommended during ages 11-12 years, National Health Interview Survey 1997-2003
Mary Mason McCauley
National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30333, USA
J Adolesc Health 43:540-7. 2008
..To present progress toward Healthy People 2010 vaccination objectives for adolescents aged 13-15 years, and to determine how much catch-up and routine vaccination was administered at the recommended ages of 11-12 years...
- Overwintering and prevalence of Neozygites floridana (Zygomycetes: Neozygitaceae) in hibernating females of Tetranychus urticae (Acari: Tetranychidae) under cold climatic conditions in strawberries
Plant Health and Plant Protection Division, Norwegian Institute for Agricultural and Environmental Research Bioforsk, Høgskoleveien 7, 1432, Aas, Norway
Exp Appl Acarol 46:231-45. 2008
..It is therefore ready to develop and sporulate as soon as climatic conditions permit, resulting in early season infection of T. urticae...
- Warren K. Sinclair Keynote Address: Current challenges in countering radiological terrorism
John W Poston
Department of Nuclear Engineering, Texas A and M University, 3133 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843 3133, USA
Health Phys 89:450-6. 2005
..More detailed discussions will be provided by the presentations at this NCRP Annual Meeting...
- A comparison of manual and automated systems for soil CO2 flux measurements: trade-offs between spatial and temporal resolution
Kathleen E Savage
Woods Hole Research Center, PO Box 296, Woods Hole, MA 02543, USA
J Exp Bot 54:891-9. 2003
- How far does screening women for domestic (partner) violence in different health-care settings meet criteria for a screening programme? Systematic reviews of nine UK National Screening Committee criteria
University of Bristol, UK
Health Technol Assess 13:iii-iv, xi-xiii, 1-113, 137-347. 2009
- [Generation-to-generation TB transmission in Aichi, Central Japan -- an epidemiological study of 701 TB patients in 290 clusters]
Aichi Shikatsu Health Center, Japan
Kekkaku 84:477-84. 2009
..To elucidate characteristics in generation-to-generation TB transmission from smear positive pulmonary TB patients...
- Aldicarb and carbofuran transport in a Hapludalf influenced by differential antecedent soil water content and irrigation delay
H V Kazemi
Karadj Agricultural College, University of Tehran, Karadj, Iran
Chemosphere 74:265-73. 2009
..This study illustrates the deeper transport of pesticides and their increased persistence when applied to initially dry soils...