Genomes and Genes
Summary: The degree of antigenic similarity between the tissues of different individuals, which determines the acceptance or rejection of allografts.
- Chen X, Zhang C, Zhang X, Gao L, Gao L, Kong P, et al. Role of antithymocyte globulin and granulocyte-colony stimulating factor-mobilized bone marrow in allogeneic transplantation for patients with hematologic malignancies. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2009;15:266-73 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, it is a feasible approach with acceptable outcomes for patients undergoing HLA-haploidentical related HSCT by the combination of G-PBSCs and G-BM with conditioning regimens including ATG. ..
- Nyholm S, Passegue E, Ludington W, Voskoboynik A, Mitchel K, Weissman I, et al. fester, A candidate allorecognition receptor from a primitive chordate. Immunity. 2006;25:163-73 pubmedb>Histocompatibility in the primitive chordate, Botryllus schlosseri, is controlled by a single, highly polymorphic locus, the FuHC...
- Lu D, Dong L, Wu T, Huang X, Zhang M, Han W, et al. Conditioning including antithymocyte globulin followed by unmanipulated HLA-mismatched/haploidentical blood and marrow transplantation can achieve comparable outcomes with HLA-identical sibling transplantation. Blood. 2006;107:3065-73 pubmed..In summary, HCT performed with related HLA-mismatched donors is a feasible approach with acceptable outcomes. ..
- De Tomaso A, Nyholm S, Palmeri K, Ishizuka K, Ludington W, Mitchel K, et al. Isolation and characterization of a protochordate histocompatibility locus. Nature. 2005;438:454-9 pubmedb>Histocompatibility--the ability of an organism to distinguish its own cells and tissue from those of another--is a universal phenomenon in the Metazoa...
- Petersdorf E, Anasetti C, Martin P, Gooley T, Radich J, Malkki M, et al. Limits of HLA mismatching in unrelated hematopoietic cell transplantation. Blood. 2004;104:2976-80 pubmed..Whenever possible, HLA-C mismatches should be avoided for patients with early stage CML, and HLA-DQB1 mismatches should be avoided for patients with multiple mismatches. ..
- Flomenberg N, Baxter Lowe L, Confer D, Fernandez Vina M, Filipovich A, Horowitz M, et al. Impact of HLA class I and class II high-resolution matching on outcomes of unrelated donor bone marrow transplantation: HLA-C mismatching is associated with a strong adverse effect on transplantation outcome. Blood. 2004;104:1923-30 pubmed..When clinical circumstances allow, high-resolution class I typing may help optimize donor selection and improve outcome. ..
- Chhabra A, Leventhal J, Merchak A, ILDSTAD S. HSCT-Based Approaches for Tolerance Induction in Renal Transplant. Transplantation. 2017;101:2682-2690 pubmed publisher..Cell-based therapies to facilitate chimerism and achieve tolerance in major histocompatibility disparate recipients have been developed in mouse, swine, canine, and nonhuman primate models...
- Zou T, Satake A, Ojha P, Kambayashi T. Cellular therapies supplement: the role of granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor and dendritic cells in regulatory T-cell homeostasis and expansion. Transfusion. 2011;51 Suppl 4:160S-168S pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss our National Blood Foundation-funded studies relating to the role of granulocyte macrophage colony-stimulating factor and dendritic cells in controlling regulatory T-cell homeostasis and expansion. ..
- Eissa H, Gooley T, Sorror M, Nguyen F, Scott B, Doney K, et al. Allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation for chronic myelomonocytic leukemia: relapse-free survival is determined by karyotype and comorbidities. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2011;17:908-15 pubmed publisher..0008), and increased age (P = .02). WHO classification did not statistically significantly affect outcome. Thus, a proportion of patients with CMML have lasting remissions following allogeneic HCT and appear to be cured of their disease. ..
- Charron D, Suberbielle Boissel C, Al Daccak R. Immunogenicity and allogenicity: a challenge of stem cell therapy. J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2009;2:130-8 pubmed publisher..Indeed, beyond the clear need to establish the safety of hESC and their derived tissues in terms of tumorogenicity and potential to transmit infections, the challenge is to overcome the immunological barriers to their transplantation. ..
- Garonzik Wang J, Montgomery R, Kucirka L, Berger J, Warren D, Segev D. Incompatible live-donor kidney transplantation in the United States: results of a national survey. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2011;6:2041-6 pubmed publisher..The rapid dissemination of these protocols despite adequate evidence of a clear advantage of IKT transplants argues for the creation of a national registry and randomized studies. ..
- Jeong J, Kim M, Ro H, Kim Y, Park H, Kwon H, et al. Kidney transplantation using expanded criteria donors in Korea. Transplant Proc. 2012;44:54-6 pubmed publisher..518). eCDs were 27.3% of the total kidney donors. Posttransplantation 1-year eGFR was lower in the ECD group. However, there was no difference in the graft survival among the different donor types. ..
- Ichihara H, Nakamae H, Hirose A, Nakane T, Koh H, Hayashi Y, et al. Immunoglobulin prophylaxis against cytomegalovirus infection in patients at high risk of infection following allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation. Transplant Proc. 2011;43:3927-32 pubmed publisher..27). Our data showed that prophylaxis with regular polyvalent IVIG did not affect the incidence of CMV infections or survival among older patients or those who receive HLA-mismatched HCT. ..
- Yagasaki H, Takahashi Y, Hama A, Kudo K, Nishio N, Muramatsu H, et al. Comparison of matched-sibling donor BMT and unrelated donor BMT in children and adolescent with acquired severe aplastic anemia. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2010;45:1508-13 pubmed publisher..8% (95% CI, 81.9-100%) in URD-BMT recipients, respectively (P=0.252). Ten-year failure-free survival was 96.7% (95% CI, 90.2-100%) in the MSD-BMT group and 84.7% (95% CI, 70.2-99.2%) in the URD-BMT group, respectively (P=0.161). ..
- Eapen M, Klein J, Sanz G, Spellman S, Ruggeri A, Anasetti C, et al. Effect of donor-recipient HLA matching at HLA A, B, C, and DRB1 on outcomes after umbilical-cord blood transplantation for leukaemia and myelodysplastic syndrome: a retrospective analysis. Lancet Oncol. 2011;12:1214-21 pubmed publisher..National Cancer Institute, National Heart Lung and Blood Institute, National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, US Department of the Navy, Children's Leukemia Research Association, and INSERM. ..
- Messina G, Giaccone L, Festuccia M, Irrera G, Scortechini I, Sorasio R, et al. Multicenter experience using total lymphoid irradiation and antithymocyte globulin as conditioning for allografting in hematological malignancies. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2012;18:1600-7 pubmed publisher..This multicenter experience confirms that TLI-ATG protects against GVHD and maintains graft-vs-tumor effects. ..
- Anand J, R Mallidi H. The state of the art in heart transplantation. Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013;25:64-9 pubmed publisher..What constitutes 'State of the Art' in heart transplantation? This review focuses on developments in the pretransplant, peritransplant, and posttransplant phases of the care of the potential heart transplant recipient. ..
- Lemaire M, Vanhaudenarde A, Nizet Y, Dumoutier L, Renauld J. Induction of autoantibodies against mouse soluble proteins after immunization with living cells presenting the autoantigen at the cell surface in fusion with a human type 2 transmembrane protein. J Immunol Methods. 2011;367:56-62 pubmed publisher..These results validate this method as a simple and convenient approach to knock down the in vivo activity of soluble regulatory proteins, including cytokines and their receptors. ..
- Bagnis C, Chiaroni J, Bailly P. Elimination of blood group antigens: hope and reality. Br J Haematol. 2011;152:392-400 pubmed publisher..This 'fact of life' has given impetus to a 30-year-old quest to achieve interchangeability of blood products between donors and recipients by eliminating blood group antigens. ..
- Gong S, Lee J, Lim J. Derivation of histocompatible stem cells from ovarian tissue. J Reprod Dev. 2010;56:481-94 pubmed
- Kako S, Morita S, Sakamaki H, Ogawa H, Fukuda T, Takahashi S, et al. A decision analysis of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation in adult patients with Philadelphia chromosome-negative acute lymphoblastic leukemia in first remission who have an HLA-matched sibling donor. Leukemia. 2011;25:259-65 pubmed publisher..9 vs 31.7% in the whole population). To improve the probability of long-term survival, allogeneic HSCT in first remission is recommended for patients who have an HLA-matched sibling...
- Choi S, Noh J, Seo J, Yang K, Kook M, Lee C. Gene expression profiling of allogeneic islet grafts in an experimental mouse model before rejection or tolerance phenotypes arise. Transplant Proc. 2013;45:597-604 pubmed publisher..Gene expression profiles revealed differences in expression among groups. Major histocompatibility complex-mismatched islets induced upregulation of 209 genes and downregulation of 10 genes compared with the ..
- Kollman C, Spellman S, Zhang M, Hassebroek A, Anasetti C, Antin J, et al. The effect of donor characteristics on survival after unrelated donor transplantation for hematologic malignancy. Blood. 2016;127:260-7 pubmed publisher..The effect of ABO matching on survival is modest and must be studied further before definitive recommendations can be offered. ..
- Nakamura Y, Hama K, Iwamoto H, Yokoyama T, Kihara Y, Konno O, et al. Long-term recurrence-free survival after liver transplantation from an ABO-incompatible living donor for treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma exceeding Milano criteria in a patient with hepatitis B virus cirrhosis: a case report. Transplant Proc. 2012;44:565-9 pubmed publisher..Withdrawal of steroids, HBV vaccination, and lamivudine, an nucleoside analog reverse transcriptase inhibitor, have achieved long-term (7 years) survival without recurrent HBV infection or tumor. ..
- Jounai N, Kobiyama K, Takeshita F. Intracellular inflammatory sensors for foreign invaders and substances of self-origin. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2012;738:60-78 pubmed publisher..Further studies focusing on the role of these inflammatory sensors in the development of immune disorders would highlight new avenues for the development of novel diagnostic and therapeutic applications with regard to these diseases. ..
- Cassis P, Gallon L, Benigni A, Mister M, Pezzotta A, Solini S, et al. Erythropoietin, but not the correction of anemia alone, protects from chronic kidney allograft injury. Kidney Int. 2012;81:903-18 pubmed publisher..Thus non-erythropoietic derivatives of EPO may be useful to prevent chronic renal allograft injury. ..
- Jin J, Wan G, Zhao A, Lei Y, Yang Y, Huang N, et al. [Research on fibrinogen adsorption and its transformation response in hemocompatibility]. Sheng Wu Yi Xue Gong Cheng Xue Za Zhi. 2010;27:1062-5 pubmed..In conclusion, the biomaterial, which has the capability for resisting the electron release from FIG as well as for maintaining the invariable electric condition, will have excellent hemocompatibility. ..
- Parsons R, Yu M, Vivek K, Zekavat G, Rostami S, Ziaie A, et al. Murine islet allograft tolerance upon blockade of the B-lymphocyte stimulator, BLyS/BAFF. Transplantation. 2012;93:676-85 pubmed publisher..Subsequently, fully major histocompatibility complex-mismatched islets were transplanted into naïve diabetic mice followed by a short course of ..
- Kasamon Y, Luznik L, Leffell M, Kowalski J, Tsai H, Bolaños Meade J, et al. Nonmyeloablative HLA-haploidentical bone marrow transplantation with high-dose posttransplantation cyclophosphamide: effect of HLA disparity on outcome. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2010;16:482-9 pubmed publisher..55, P = .03 for 3-4 vs fewer allele mismatches). Thus, greater HLA disparity does not appear to worsen overall outcome after NMA haploidentical BMT with high-dose posttransplantation cyclophosphamide. ..
- Philogene M, Zachary A. Assessing immunologic risk factors in transplantation. Expert Rev Clin Immunol. 2013;9:773-9 pubmed publisher..While one cannot predict with certainty the short- and long-term outcomes of a particular transplant, it is possible to identify immunologic risk factors that can affect outcome. ..
- The alloimmune response between individuals genetically disparate for antigens encoded within the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) remains a substantial barrier to transplantation of solid organs, tissues, and hematopoietic stem ..
- Screnci M, Murgi E, Carmini D, Piro L, Cinelli N, Laurenti L, et al. Related cord blood banking for haematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Transfus Med. 2010;20:185-90 pubmed publisher..Finally, as banking of related cord blood units is an important resource then, this public service should be supported and enhanced. ..
- Perng C, Chang L, Chien W, Lee T, Chang J. Effectiveness and limitations of resolving HLA class I and class II by heterozygous ambiguity resolving primers (HARPs)--a modified technique of sequence-based typing (SBT). Clin Biochem. 2012;45:1471-8 pubmed publisher..We outlined the advantages and disadvantages of SBT/HARP. A list of HARPs for choice to resolve ambiguity of SBT in Taiwanese population is concluded. ..
- Spencer P, Hakam S, Laissue P, Jabeen A, Jain P, Hayrabedyan S, et al. Key cellular components and interactive histocompatibility molecules regulating tolerance to the fetal allograft. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2012;68:95-9 pubmed publisher..and at systemic level, the correct balance of cells potentially acting as antigen-presenting cells and histocompatibility products play a pivotal role in achieving feto-maternal tolerance...
- Al Mousa H, Al Shammari Z, Al Ghonaium A, Al Dhekri H, Al Muhsen S, Al Saud B, et al. Allogeneic stem cell transplantation using myeloablative and reduced-intensity conditioning in patients with major histocompatibility complex class II deficiency. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2010;16:818-23 pubmed publisherMajor histocompatibility complex class II (MHC II) deficiency is a rare combined immunodeficiency disease. Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT) is the only curative treatment...
- Summers D, Johnson R, Allen J, Fuggle S, Collett D, Watson C, et al. Analysis of factors that affect outcome after transplantation of kidneys donated after cardiac death in the UK: a cohort study. Lancet. 2010;376:1303-11 pubmed publisher..We aimed to establish these outcomes for kidneys donated after controlled cardiac death versus brain death, and to identify the factors that affect graft survival and function...
- Uchiyama M, Jin X, Zhang Q, Amano A, Watanabe T, Niimi M. Music exposure induced prolongation of cardiac allograft survival and generated regulatory CD4? cells in mice. Transplant Proc. 2012;44:1076-9 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, exposure to some types of music may induce prolonged survival of fully allogeneic cardiac allografts and generate CD4(+)CD25(+)Foxp3(+) regulatory cells. ..
- Johnson J, Jones M, Cobb B. Polysaccharide-Experienced Effector T cells Induce IL-10 in FoxP3+ Regulatory T cells to Prevent Pulmonary Inflammation. Glycobiology. 2017;: pubmed publisher..the commensal organism Bacteroides fragilis activates CD4+ T cells upon presentation by the class II major histocompatibility complex (MHCII), and that these PSA-experienced T cells prevent the development of lung inflammation in ..
- Uchida J, Kuwabara N, Machida Y, Iwai T, Naganuma T, Kumada N, et al. Excellent outcomes of ABO-incompatible kidney transplantation: a single-center experience. Transplant Proc. 2012;44:204-9 pubmed publisher..Although ABO-incompatible kidney transplantation is a high-risk procedure, a short-term graft survival rate of 100% may be expected due to recent significant improvements in desensitization and recipient management. ..
- Jordan S, Reinsmoen N, Peng A, Lai C, Cao K, Villicana R, et al. Advances in diagnosing and managing antibody-mediated rejection. Pediatr Nephrol. 2010;25:2035-45; quiz 2045-8 pubmed publisher..Newer approaches to treating AMR include using the proteosome inhibitor (bortezomib), which induces apoptosis in plasma cells, and eculizumab (anti-C5, anticomplement monoclonal antibody). ..
- Legendre C, Canaud G, Martinez F. Factors influencing long-term outcome after kidney transplantation. Transpl Int. 2014;27:19-27 pubmed publisher..The development of safer immunosuppression strategies is therefore crucial to improve long-term outcomes. ..
- Sanchez J. Treatment of myelodysplastic syndromes in elderly patients. Adv Ther. 2011;28 Suppl 2:1-9 pubmed publisher..In any patient, predictive drug response scores are required in order to ensure more rational use of these medications. ..
- Yamanaga S, Watarai Y, Yamamoto T, Tsujita M, Hiramitsu T, Nanmoku K, et al. Frequent development of subclinical chronic antibody-mediated rejection within 1 year after renal transplantation with pre-transplant positive donor-specific antibodies and negative CDC crossmatches. Hum Immunol. 2013;74:1111-8 pubmed publisher..Sustained class II (DRB ± DQB) DSA detection after RTx may pose a potential risk for developing CAMR, but negative change in class I DSA could also elicit CAMR. ..
- El Awar N, Nguyen A, Almeshari K, Alawami M, Alzayer F, Alharbi M, et al. HLA class II DQA and DQB epitopes: recognition of the likely binding sites of HLA-DQ alloantibodies eluted from recombinant HLA-DQ single antigen cell lines. Hum Immunol. 2013;74:1141-52 pubmed publisher..We conclude that analysis of the epitopes of the DQ antibodies using Adsorption/Elution and testing on single antigen DQ beads helps to better understand the specificities and cross-reactions of DQ antibodies in transplant patients. ..
- Fernandez Vina M, Klein J, Haagenson M, Spellman S, Anasetti C, Noreen H, et al. Multiple mismatches at the low expression HLA loci DP, DQ, and DRB3/4/5 associate with adverse outcomes in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Blood. 2013;121:4603-10 pubmed publisher..Prospective evaluation of matching for HLA-DRB3/4/5, -DQ, and -DP loci is warranted to reduce posttransplant risks in donor-recipient pairs matched for 7/8 HEL. ..
- Eapen M, Le Rademacher J, Antin J, Champlin R, Carreras J, Fay J, et al. Effect of stem cell source on outcomes after unrelated donor transplantation in severe aplastic anemia. Blood. 2011;118:2618-21 pubmed publisher..62, P = .04; 76% vs 61%). These data indicate that BM is the preferred graft source for unrelated donor transplantation in SAA. ..
- Ushigome H, Koshino K, Sakai K, Suzuki T, Nobori S, Matsuyama M, et al. Rare spontaneous remission of hepatic artery aneurysm following ABO incompatible living donor liver transplantation: a case report. Transplant Proc. 2011;43:2424-7 pubmed publisher..This relatively rare case revealed a hepatic artery aneurysm that spontaneously regressed after ABO incompatible LDLT. ..
- Devos J, Gaber A, Knight R, Land G, Suki W, Gaber L, et al. Donor-specific HLA-DQ antibodies may contribute to poor graft outcome after renal transplantation. Kidney Int. 2012;82:598-604 pubmed publisher..Ongoing surveillance is necessary to determine the long-term outcome of patients developing HLA-DQ donor-specific antibodies. ..
- Ustun C, Slaby J, Shanley R, Vydra J, Smith A, Wagner J, et al. Human parainfluenza virus infection after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: risk factors, management, mortality, and changes over time. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2012;18:1580-8 pubmed publisher..HPIV incidence remains low, but may have delayed onset associated with RIC regimens and improving survival. Effective prophylaxis and treatment for HPIV are needed...
- Chen J, Lee V, Luo C, Chiang A, Hongeng S, Tan P, et al. Allogeneic stem cell transplantation for children with acquired severe aplastic anaemia: a retrospective study by the Viva-Asia Blood and Marrow Transplantation Group. Br J Haematol. 2013;162:383-91 pubmed publisher..009) were predictors of poor survival. In multivariate analysis, only GF was associated with poor survival (P = 0.012). The outcome of AD and PBSC HSCT were comparable to that of MSD and BM HSCT in the Asia Pacific region. ..
- Jamale T, Hase N, Iqbal A. Laparoscopic donor nephrectomy versus open donor nephrectomy: recipient's perspective. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2012;23:1175-80 pubmed publisher..5 s, P = 0.002). LDN is associated with slower recovery of graft function and higher incidence of early acute graft dysfunction due to acute tubular necrosis. Late graft function at one year is however comparable. ..
- Tan J, Kim J, Chertow G, Grumet F, Desai M. Donor-recipient sex mismatch in kidney transplantation. Gend Med. 2012;9:335-347.e2 pubmed publisherThe lack of reliable human proxies for minor (ie, non-HLA) histocompatibility loci hampers the ability to leverage these factors toward improving transplant outcomes...