Genomes and Genes
Summary: T-cell enhancement of the B-cell response to thymic-dependent antigens.
- Miller J. Antigen-specific clone selection in vivo. Immunol Cell Biol. 2008;86:24-5 pubmed
- Coyle A, Gutierrez Ramos J. The expanding B7 superfamily: increasing complexity in costimulatory signals regulating T cell function. Nat Immunol. 2001;2:203-9 pubmed..These molecules play an important sequential role and act, together with B7-1- and B7-2-primed T cells, in the acquisition of effector function and/or tolerance induction. ..
- Sieling P, Porcelli S, Duong B, Spada F, Bloom B, Diamond B, et al. Human double-negative T cells in systemic lupus erythematosus provide help for IgG and are restricted by CD1c. J Immunol. 2000;165:5338-44 pubmed..The data suggest that CD1c-restricted T cells from SLE patients can provide help to CD1c(+) B cells for IgG production and could therefore promote pathogenic autoantibody responses in SLE. ..
- Gulbranson Judge A, Tybulewicz V, Walters A, Toellner K, MacLennan I, Turner M. Defective immunoglobulin class switching in Vav-deficient mice is attributable to compromised T cell help. Eur J Immunol. 1999;29:477-87 pubmed..These results suggest that defective immunoglobulin class switching in Vav-deficient mice is attributable to compromised T cell help. ..
- Kibler R, Fritz R, Chou F, Jen Chou C H -, Peacocke N, Brown N, et al. Immune response of Lewis rats to peptide C1 (residues 68-88) of guinea pig and rat myelin basic proteins. J Exp Med. 1977;146:1323-31 pubmed
- Vikingsson A, Pederson K, Muller D. Altered kinetics of CD4+ T cell proliferation and interferon-gamma production in the absence of CD8+ T lymphocytes in virus-infected beta2-microglobulin-deficient mice. Cell Immunol. 1996;173:261-8 pubmed
- Walker L, Wiggett H, Gaspal F, Raykundalia C, Goodall M, Toellner K, et al. Established T cell-driven germinal center B cell proliferation is independent of CD28 signaling but is tightly regulated through CTLA-4. J Immunol. 2003;170:91-8 pubmed..By examining germinal center responses in mice where the ability to signal through T cell CTLA-4 was compromised, we provide data that supports a critical role for CTLA-4 in down-regulating T cell help for germinal center B cells. ..
- Kaliyaperumal A, Michaels M, Datta S. Naturally processed chromatin peptides reveal a major autoepitope that primes pathogenic T and B cells of lupus. J Immunol. 2002;168:2530-7 pubmed..Convergence of T and B cell epitopes in H1'(22-42) and its ability to elicit a cross-reactive response make it a highly dominant epitope that could be targeted for therapy and for tracking autoimmune T and B cells. ..
- Haddad E, Le Deist F, Aucouturier P, Cavazzana Calvo M, Blanche S, de Saint Basile G, et al. Long-term chimerism and B-cell function after bone marrow transplantation in patients with severe combined immunodeficiency with B cells: A single-center study of 22 patients. Blood. 1999;94:2923-30 pubmed..These results strongly suggest that, in some transplanted patients, host B cells can cooperate with donor T cells to fully mature in Ig-producing cells. ..
- Swallow M, Wallin J, Sha W. B7h, a novel costimulatory homolog of B7.1 and B7.2, is induced by TNFalpha. Immunity. 1999;11:423-32 pubmed..These data define a novel costimulatory ligand for T cells and suggest that induction of B7h by TNFalpha may function as a mechanism to directly augment recognition of self during inflammation. ..
- Li W. Synergistic antibody induction by antigen-CD40 ligand fusion protein as improved immunogen. Immunology. 2005;115:215-22 pubmed..These results suggest that GFP-CD40LT fusion protein induces a GFP-specific B-cell activation and antibody response in an antigen-guided fashion. The potential application of this novel strategy in vaccine development is discussed. ..
- Silvestre R, Cordeiro da Silva A, Tavares J, Sereno D, Ouaissi A. Leishmania cytosolic silent information regulatory protein 2 deacetylase induces murine B-cell differentiation and in vivo production of specific antibodies. Immunology. 2006;119:529-40 pubmed..Together, the current study provides the first evidence that a Leishmania protein belonging to the SIR2 family may play a role in the regulation of immune response through its capacity to trigger B-cell effector function. ..
- Yang J, Kim P, Halder R, Singh R. Intrinsic hyporesponsiveness of invariant natural killer T cells precedes the onset of lupus. Clin Exp Immunol. 2013;173:18-27 pubmed publisher..Thus, iNK?T cells are functionally insufficient in lupus-prone BWF(1) mice. Such iNK?T cell insufficiency precedes the onset of disease and may play a pathogenic role during early stages of disease development in SLE. ..
- Busser B, Adair B, Erikson J, Laufer T. Activation of diverse repertoires of autoreactive T cells enhances the loss of anti-dsDNA B cell tolerance. J Clin Invest. 2003;112:1361-71 pubmed..These data demonstrate that a diverse CD4+ T cell repertoire is required to generate a sustained effector B cell response capable of mediating systemic autoimmunity. ..
- Seagal J, Melamed D. Contribution of alphabeta and gammadelta T cells to the generation of primary immunoglobulin G-driven autoimmune response in immunoglobulin- mu-deficient/lpr mice. Immunology. 2004;112:265-73 pubmed
- Hou S, Mo X, Hyland L, Doherty P. Host response to Sendai virus in mice lacking class II major histocompatibility complex glycoproteins. J Virol. 1995;69:1429-34 pubmed..As found previously with CD4-depleted H-2b mice, the development of Sendai virus-specific CD8+ T-cell-mediated immunity is not compromised by the absence of a concurrent class II major histocompatibility complex-restricted response. ..
- Bugeon L, Dallman M. Costimulation of T cells. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000;162:S164-8 pubmed..While cd80 and cd86 pathways act mainly on naive T cells, B7h/B7RP-1 and B7-H1 seem to exert their effects on antigen-experienced lymphocytes. ..
- Kizil G, Todd I, Atta M, Borriello S, Ait Tahar K, Ala Aldeen D. Identification and characterization of TspA, a major CD4(+) T-cell- and B-cell-stimulating Neisseria-specific antigen. Infect Immun. 1999;67:3533-41 pubmed..Thus, we have identified a novel neisserial protein (TspA) which proved to be a strong CD4(+) T-cell- and B-cell-stimulating immunogen with potential as a possible vaccine candidate...
- Arnaboldi P, Roth Walter F, Mayer L. Suppression of Th1 and Th17, but not Th2, responses in a CD8(+) T cell-mediated model of oral tolerance. Mucosal Immunol. 2009;2:427-38 pubmed publisher..Thus, CD8(+) T cells are functionally capable of mediating tolerance to Th1 and Th17 responses. ..
- Cai G, Nie X, Zhang W, Wu B, Lin J, Wang H, et al. A regulatory role for IL-10 receptor signaling in development and B cell help of T follicular helper cells in mice. J Immunol. 2012;189:1294-302 pubmed publisher..Our results provide useful information for clarifying the immunoregulatory mechanisms associated with IL-10 deficiency in certain autoimmune disease models. This information could also be of benefit for the development of vaccines. ..
- Munthe L, Corthay A, Os A, Zangani M, Bogen B. Systemic autoimmune disease caused by autoreactive B cells that receive chronic help from Ig V region-specific T cells. J Immunol. 2005;175:2391-400 pubmed
- Song A, Song J, Tang X, Croft M. Cooperation between CD4 and CD8 T cells for anti-tumor activity is enhanced by OX40 signals. Eur J Immunol. 2007;37:1224-32 pubmed..OX40 therefore represents an important signal for allowing effective cooperation between CD4 and CD8 cells and for promoting cell interplay and tumor rejection where CD8 activity is limiting. ..
- Fazekas de St Groth B, Cook M, Smith A. The role of T cells in the regulation of B cell tolerance. Int Rev Immunol. 1997;15:73-99 pubmed
- Sobel E, Kakkanaiah V, Kakkanaiah M, Cohen P, Eisenberg R. Co-infusion of normal bone marrow partially corrects the gld T-cell defect. Evidence for an intrinsic and extrinsic role for Fas ligand. J Immunol. 1995;154:459-64 pubmed..Surprisingly, the residual CD4-CD8- T cells present in the mixed chimeras were derived entirely from the gld donor marrow. This suggests that the gld mutation results in both an extrinsic and intrinsic defect in T cells...
- Rademaekers A, Kölsch E, Specht C. T cell mediated antibody invariance in an immune response against a bacterial carbohydrate antigen requires CD28/B7-1 costimulation. Dev Immunol. 2001;8:243-57 pubmed
- Heath W, Carbone F. Cytotoxic T lymphocyte activation by cross-priming. Curr Opin Immunol. 1999;11:314-8 pubmed
- Sad S, Marcotte R, Mosmann T. Cytokine-induced differentiation of precursor mouse CD8+ T cells into cytotoxic CD8+ T cells secreting Th1 or Th2 cytokines. Immunity. 1995;2:271-9 pubmed..We propose the names TC1 and TC2 for cytotoxic CD8+ T cells secreting Th1-like and Th2-like cytokines, respectively. ..
- Barcy S, Corey L. Herpes simplex inhibits the capacity of lymphoblastoid B cell lines to stimulate CD4+ T cells. J Immunol. 2001;166:6242-9 pubmed..These data indicate a novel immune evasion strategy by HSV-1 in which Ag-processing cells that become infected by HSV-1 are inhibited in their ability to induce subsequent CD4(+) T cell activation. ..
- Constant S, Schweitzer N, West J, Ranney P, Bottomly K. B lymphocytes can be competent antigen-presenting cells for priming CD4+ T cells to protein antigens in vivo. J Immunol. 1995;155:3734-41 pubmed
- Weisel F, Wellmann U, Winkler T. Autoreactive B cells get activated in extrafollicular sites. Eur J Immunol. 2007;37:3330-3 pubmed..The differentiation and hypermutation of autoreactive B cells takes place at extrafollicular sites. ..
- Morimoto C, Reinherz E, Borel Y, Mantzouranis E, Steinberg A, Schlossman S. Autoantibody to an immunoregulatory inducer population in patients with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. J Clin Invest. 1981;67:753-61 pubmed..These results suggest that the JRA serum may define a Qal-like antigen found predominantly on the human inducer population which could activate suppressor and/or other feedback regulatory cells. ..
- Panchanathan V, Chaudhri G, Karupiah G. Correlates of protective immunity in poxvirus infection: where does antibody stand?. Immunol Cell Biol. 2008;86:80-6 pubmed..These findings have important clinical implications and would greatly assist the design of therapeutic interventions and new vaccines for smallpox. ..
- Kaminski D, Lee B, Eaton S, Haynes L, Randall T. CD28 and inducible costimulator (ICOS) signalling can sustain CD154 expression on activated T cells. Immunology. 2009;127:373-85 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that TCR signalling and costimulation each regulate different phases of CD154 expression and control the biological outcome of CD40 signalling on B cells. ..
- Stel A, Kroesen B, Jacobs S, Groen H, de Leij L, Kluin Nelemans H, et al. The role of B cell-mediated T cell costimulation in the efficacy of the T cell retargeting bispecific antibody BIS20x3. J Immunol. 2004;173:6009-16 pubmed..Together these results demonstrate that the malignant B cells actively contribute to their own demise upon CD20-directed bispecific Ab-mediated T cell targeting. ..
- Gonzalez Quintela A, Alende M, Lojo S, Perez L, Padin E, Tome S, et al. Total serum IgE levels in chronic hepatitis C: influence of interferon alpha therapy. Int Arch Allergy Immunol. 2001;125:176-81 pubmed..Interferon-alpha therapy in patients with chronic hepatitis C is followed by no modification or even a moderate increase of serum IgE values. ..
- Dayer J. How T-lymphocytes are activated and become activators by cell-cell interaction. Eur Respir J Suppl. 2003;44:10s-15s pubmed
- Mattern T, Girroleit G, Flad H, Rietschel E, Ulmer A. CD34(+) hematopoietic stem cells exert accessory function in lipopolysaccharide-induced T cell stimulation and CD80 expression on monocytes. J Exp Med. 1999;189:693-700 pubmed..These findings may be of relevance for high risk patients treated with stem cells or stem cell recruiting compounds and for patients suffering from endotoxin-mediated diseases. ..
- ..A better understanding of the shared mechanisms between immunological and neural synapses could aid in the development of new therapeutic modalities for immunological, neurological, and neuroimmunological disorders alike. ..
- Zhang G, Xiao B, Bakhiet M, van der Meide P, Wigzell H, Link H, et al. Both CD4+ and CD8+ T cells are essential to induce experimental autoimmune myasthenia gravis. J Exp Med. 1996;184:349-56 pubmed
- Kiyono H, Mosteller L, Eldridge J, Michalek S, McGhee J. IgA responses in xid mice: oral antigen primes Peyer's patch cells for in vitro immune responses and secretory antibody production. J Immunol. 1983;131:2616-22 pubmed..abstract truncated at 400 words) ..
- Kumar A, Angel J, Aucoin S, Creery W, Daftarian M, Cameron D, et al. Dysregulation of B7.2 (CD86) expression on monocytes of HIV-infected individuals is associated with altered production of IL-2. Clin Exp Immunol. 1999;117:84-91 pubmed..These observations showing an association of B7 dysregulation on monocytes and B cells with altered production of IL-2 may have implications in HIV immunopathogenesis. ..
- Nakae S, Komiyama Y, Nambu A, Sudo K, Iwase M, Homma I, et al. Antigen-specific T cell sensitization is impaired in IL-17-deficient mice, causing suppression of allergic cellular and humoral responses. Immunity. 2002;17:375-87 pubmed..Our findings indicate that IL-17 plays an important role in activating T cells in allergen-specific T cell-mediated immune responses. ..
- Takamatsu H, Denyer M, Stirling C, Cox S, Aggarwal N, Dash P, et al. Porcine gammadelta T cells: possible roles on the innate and adaptive immune responses following virus infection. Vet Immunol Immunopathol. 2006;112:49-61 pubmed..This direct interaction between gammadelta T cells and CD4(+) T cells is likely to have a significant influence on the out come of the adaptive immune response. ..
- Groth C, Drager R, Warnatz K, Wolff Vorbeck G, Schmidt S, Eibel H, et al. Impaired up-regulation of CD70 and CD86 in naive (CD27-) B cells from patients with common variable immunodeficiency (CVID). Clin Exp Immunol. 2002;129:133-9 pubmed..These findings strongly suggest an intrinsic signalling or expression defect for CD70/CD86 at the level of naive B cells in type I CVID patients. ..
- Rossi D, Gaidano G. Anaplastic large cell lymphoma and acquired angioedema: a novel association?. Ann Ital Med Int. 2002;17:143-5 pubmed
- Rothstein T, Griffin D, Holodick N, Quách T, Kaku H. Human B-1 cells take the stage. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2013;1285:97-114 pubmed publisher..Manipulation of human B-1 cell numbers and/or activity may be a new avenue for altering T cell function and treating immune dyscrasias. ..
- Agliari E, Barra A, Guerra F, Moauro F. A thermodynamic perspective of immune capabilities. J Theor Biol. 2011;287:48-63 pubmed publisher..e. B and killer lymphocytes) can be modeled in terms of a stochastic process, ultimately providing a consistent bridge between the tripartite-network approach introduced here and the immune networks developed in the last decades. ..
- Kemp J, Rohrer J, Huber B. Lyb3: a B cell surface antigen associated with triggering secretory differentiation. Immunol Rev. 1982;69:127-40 pubmed
- Lund F, Hollifield M, Schuer K, Lines J, Randall T, Garvy B. B cells are required for generation of protective effector and memory CD4 cells in response to Pneumocystis lung infection. J Immunol. 2006;176:6147-54 pubmed..These data indicate that B cells play a vital role in generation of CD4(+) memory T cells in response to PC infection in the lungs. ..
- Fujii T, Okada M, Craft J. Regulation of T cell-dependent autoantibody production by a gammadelta T cell line derived from lupus-prone mice. Cell Immunol. 2002;217:23-35 pubmed..These findings prove that we have identtified a gammadelta T cell line that suppresses autoantibody synthesis by alphabeta T-B cell collaboration in vitro. ..
- Cook M, Basten A, Fazekas de St Groth B. Rescue of self-reactive B cells by provision of T cell help in vivo. Eur J Immunol. 1998;28:2549-58 pubmed