Genomes and Genes
t cell antigen receptor specificity
Summary: The property of the T-CELL RECEPTOR which enables it to react with some antigens and not others. The specificity is derived from the structure of the receptor's variable region which has the ability to recognize certain antigens in conjunction with the MAJOR HISTOCOMPATIBILITY COMPLEX molecule.
- Co M, Orphin L, Cruz J, Pazoles P, Rothman A, Ennis F, et al. Discordance between antibody and T cell responses in recipients of trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine. Vaccine. 2008;26:1990-8 pubmed publisher..These results show specific increases in a CD8 T cell subset and discordant T and B responses induced by the trivalent inactivated influenza vaccine. ..
- Meissner N, Lund F, Han S, Harmsen A. CD8 T cell-mediated lung damage in response to the extracellular pathogen pneumocystis is dependent on MHC class I expression by radiation-resistant lung cells. J Immunol. 2005;175:8271-9 pubmed..However, CD8 T cell-mediated lung damage is Ag-specific is induced by a MHC I-expressing nonbone marrow-derived cell in the lung and is dependent on the continued presence of live Pneumocystis. ..
- Gerner W, Denyer M, Takamatsu H, Wileman T, Wiesmüller K, Pfaff E, et al. Identification of novel foot-and-mouth disease virus specific T-cell epitopes in c/c and d/d haplotype miniature swine. Virus Res. 2006;121:223-8 pubmed..This is the first report on FMDV specific T-cell epitopes recognized by swine leukocyte antigen (SLA) inbred swine and provides information useful for the design of novel vaccines against FMDV...
- Riviere I, Sadelain M, Brentjens R. Novel strategies for cancer therapy: the potential of genetically modified T lymphocytes. Curr Hematol Rep. 2004;3:290-7 pubmed..T cells can also be engineered in an attempt to control their homing, to increase the safety of adoptive T-cell therapies, and express markers that can be tracked by noninvasive imaging technologies. ..
- Elagin R, Balijepalli S, Diacovo M, Baekkeskov S, JAUME J. Homing of GAD65 specific autoimmunity and development of insulitis requires expression of both DQ8 and human GAD65 in transgenic mice. J Autoimmun. 2009;33:50-7 pubmed publisher..This animal model will facilitate studies of autoimmunity to GAD65 in the context of HLA-DQ8, and development of methods to induce tolerance and prevent insulitis. ..
- Ulivieri C, Citro A, Ivaldi F, Mascolo D, Ghittoni R, Fanigliulo D, et al. Antigenic properties of HCMV peptides displayed by filamentous bacteriophages vs. synthetic peptides. Immunol Lett. 2008;119:62-70 pubmed publisher..Our results show a general enhancement of T-cell responses when antigenic peptides are carried by phages. ..
- Chang D, Deng H, Matthews P, Krasovsky J, Ragupathi G, Spisek R, et al. Inflammation-associated lysophospholipids as ligands for CD1d-restricted T cells in human cancer. Blood. 2008;112:1308-16 pubmed publisher..These data identify a distinct population of human CD1d-restricted T cells specific for inflammation-associated lysolipids and suggest a novel mechanism for inflammation mediated immune regulation in human cancer. ..
- Hayama M, Shinohara N, Higashihara M, Eshima K. Accumulation of allo-MHC cross-reactive memory T cells in bone marrow. Immunol Lett. 2008;117:154-60 pubmed publisher..The possible role of these BM-resident memory T cells in the development of graft-versus-host disease (GVHD) is also discussed. ..
- Cohen G, Carter S, Weinberg K, Masinsin B, Guinan E, Kurtzberg J, et al. Antigen-specific T-lymphocyte function after cord blood transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2006;12:1335-42 pubmed..These results indicate that naive T lymphocytes present in the HSC inoculum can contribute to the generation of antigen-specific T-lymphocyte immunity early after transplantation. ..
- Shimizu Y, Inaba K, Kaneyasu K, Ibuki K, Himeno A, Okoba M, et al. A genetically engineered live-attenuated simian-human immunodeficiency virus that co-expresses the RANTES gene improves the magnitude of cellular immunity in rhesus macaques. Virology. 2007;361:68-79 pubmed..These findings suggest that the chemokine RANTES can augment vaccine-elicited, HIV-specific CD4+ T cell responses. ..
- Herndon J, Stuart P, Ferguson T. Peripheral deletion of antigen-specific T cells leads to long-term tolerance mediated by CD8+ cytotoxic cells. J Immunol. 2005;174:4098-104 pubmed..Tolerance was mediated by CD8(+) T cells that killed the DO11.10-transgenic T cells in vivo. These data demonstrate that the programmed cell death of large numbers of T cells leads to peripheral tolerance mediated by CD8(+) CTLs. ..
- Heller K, Upshaw J, Seyoum B, Zebroski H, MUNZ C. Distinct memory CD4+ T-cell subsets mediate immune recognition of Epstein Barr virus nuclear antigen 1 in healthy virus carriers. Blood. 2007;109:1138-46 pubmed..Our results suggest that protective immune control of chronic infections, like EBV, includes a substantial reservoir of TCM CD4+ TH1 precursors, which continuously fuels TH1-polarized effector cells. ..
- Leligdowicz A, Onyango C, Yindom L, Peng Y, Cotten M, Jaye A, et al. Highly avid, oligoclonal, early-differentiated antigen-specific CD8+ T cells in chronic HIV-2 infection. Eur J Immunol. 2010;40:1963-72 pubmed publisher..We propose that in chronic HIV-2 infection, the maintenance of early-differentiated, highly avid CD8(+) T cells could account for the non-progressive course of disease. Such responses may be desirable from an HIV vaccine. ..
- van Leeuwen E, Remmerswaal E, Vossen M, Rowshani A, Wertheim van Dillen P, van Lier R, et al. Emergence of a CD4+CD28- granzyme B+, cytomegalovirus-specific T cell subset after recovery of primary cytomegalovirus infection. J Immunol. 2004;173:1834-41 pubmed..Thus, CD4(+)CD28(-) T cells emerge as a consequence of CMV infection. ..
- Wang X, Jia S, Meyer L, Yassai M, Naumov Y, Gorski J, et al. Quantitative measurement of pathogen-specific human memory T cell repertoire diversity using a CDR3 beta-specific microarray. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:329 pubmed..05). This novel strategy appears to be robust and can be adapted to any situation where complex mixtures of highly similar sequences need to be quantitatively resolved. ..
- Quiroga J, Llorente S, Castillo I, Rodríguez Iñigo E, López Alcorocho J, Pardo M, et al. Virus-specific T-cell responses associated with hepatitis C virus (HCV) persistence in the liver after apparent recovery from HCV infection. J Med Virol. 2006;78:1190-7 pubmed
- Smith C, Mirza F, Pasquetto V, Tscharke D, Palmowski M, Dunbar P, et al. Immunodominance of poxviral-specific CTL in a human trial of recombinant-modified vaccinia Ankara. J Immunol. 2005;175:8431-7 pubmed
- Hombach A, Köhler H, Rappl G, Abken H. Human CD4+ T cells lyse target cells via granzyme/perforin upon circumvention of MHC class II restriction by an antibody-like immunoreceptor. J Immunol. 2006;177:5668-75 pubmed..Because cytolysis is predominantly mediated via granzyme/perforin, target cells that are resistant to death receptor signaling become sensitive to a cytolytic attack by engineered CD4+ T cells. ..
- Thomas M, Hinks T, Raghuraman S, Ramalingam N, Ernst M, Nau R, et al. Rapid diagnosis of Mycobacterium tuberculosis meningitis by enumeration of cerebrospinal fluid antigen-specific T-cells. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2008;12:651-7 pubmed..This pilot study demonstrates proof-of-principle for a new T-cell-based diagnostic test for TBM which is rapid, sensitive and specific. ..
- Zhou G, Drake C, Levitsky H. Amplification of tumor-specific regulatory T cells following therapeutic cancer vaccines. Blood. 2006;107:628-36 pubmed
- Krebs P, Barnes M, Lampe K, Whitley K, Bahjat K, Beutler B, et al. NK-cell-mediated killing of target cells triggers robust antigen-specific T-cell-mediated and humoral responses. Blood. 2009;113:6593-602 pubmed publisher..We think that the recognition and killing of target cells by NK cells represents an important pathway for the generation of robust CD8+ T and humoral responses that may be exploited for vaccine development. ..
- Frank C, Hundemer M, Ho A, Goldschmidt H, Witzens Harig M. Cellular immune responses against the cancer-testis antigen SPAN-XB in healthy donors and patients with multiple myeloma. Leuk Lymphoma. 2008;49:779-85 pubmed publisher..We conclude that SPAN-XB-derived peptides can elicit a consistent CD8 T cell response in healthy donors and patients with MM. ..
- Roelen D, van den Boogaardt D, van Miert P, Koekkoek K, Offringa R, Claas F. Differentially modulated dendritic cells induce regulatory T cells with different characteristics. Transpl Immunol. 2008;19:220-8 pubmed publisher..In summary, we show that differential modulation of DC results in the induction of different populations of regulatory T cells. ..
- Huseby E, White J, Crawford F, Vass T, Becker D, Pinilla C, et al. How the T cell repertoire becomes peptide and MHC specific. Cell. 2005;122:247-60 pubmed..Our results also suggest that germline-encoded TCR variable elements have an inherent predisposition to react with features shared by all MHC proteins. ..
- Zheng J, Liu Y, Qin G, Chan P, Mao H, Lam K, et al. Efficient induction and expansion of human alloantigen-specific CD8 regulatory T cells from naive precursors by CD40-activated B cells. J Immunol. 2009;183:3742-50 pubmed publisher..This approach may facilitate the clinical application of CD8(+) Treg-based immunotherapy in transplantation and autoimmune diseases. ..
- Comoli P, Basso S, Labirio M, Baldanti F, Maccario R, Locatelli F. T cell therapy of Epstein-Barr virus and adenovirus infections after hemopoietic stem cell transplant. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2008;40:68-70 pubmed..Future prospectives include the transfer of this technology to treat AdV-related complications following HSCT. ..
- Racanelli V, Manigold T. Presentation of HCV antigens to naive CD8+T cells: why the where, when, what and how are important for virus control and infection outcome. Clin Immunol. 2007;124:5-12 pubmed..The implications for vaccine development are also discussed. ..
- Bivas Benita M, Bar L, Gillard G, Kaufman D, Simmons N, Hovav A, et al. Efficient generation of mucosal and systemic antigen-specific CD8+ T-cell responses following pulmonary DNA immunization. J Virol. 2010;84:5764-74 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that pulmonary PEI-DNA immunization might be a useful approach for immunizing against pulmonary pathogens and might also protect against infections initiated at other mucosal sites. ..
- Tang C, Yamada H, Shibata K, Yoshida S, Wajjwalku W, Yoshikai Y. IL-15 protects antigen-specific CD8+ T cell contraction after Mycobacterium bovis bacillus Calmette-Guérin infection. J Leukoc Biol. 2009;86:187-94 pubmed publisher..tuberculosis. ..
- Davenport M, Zhang L, Bagchi A, Fridman A, Fu T, Schleif W, et al. High-potency human immunodeficiency virus vaccination leads to delayed and reduced CD8+ T-cell expansion but improved virus control. J Virol. 2005;79:10059-62 pubmed..Nevertheless, higher initial CD8(+) T-cell numbers were associated with reduced peak and chronic viral loads and reduced CD4(+) T-cell depletion. ..
- Zinkernagel R, Hengartner H. On immunity against infections and vaccines: credo 2004. Scand J Immunol. 2004;60:9-13 pubmed..T cells not only play an essential role in maintaining T-help-dependent memory antibody titres, but also in controlling the many infections that persist in a host at rather low levels (such as tuberculosis, measles and HIV). ..
- Opelz G, Dohler B, Süsal C. Analysis of positive kidney, heart, and liver transplant crossmatches reported to the Collaborative Transplant Study. Hum Immunol. 2009;70:627-30 pubmed publisher..It is concluded that a positive lymphocytotoxic crossmatch continues to indicate an increased risk of graft loss and that pretransplantation crossmatches should be performed regardless of type of organ transplanted. ..
- Fiscella M, Perry J, Teng B, Bloom M, Zhang C, Leung K, et al. TIP, a T-cell factor identified using high-throughput screening increases survival in a graft-versus-host disease model. Nat Biotechnol. 2003;21:302-7 pubmed..Therefore, combining functional genomics with high-throughput cell-based screening is a valuable and efficient approach to identifying immunomodulatory activities for novel proteins. ..
- Setterblad N, Bécart S, Charron D, Mooney N. B cell lipid rafts regulate both peptide-dependent and peptide-independent APC-T cell interaction. J Immunol. 2004;173:1876-86 pubmed..Such peptide-independent conjugates did not retain the ability to activate T cells. Thus, B cell lipid rafts are bifunctional by regulating T cell activation and imposing peptide stringency. ..
- Soderberg K, Linehan M, Ruddle N, Iwasaki A. MAdCAM-1 expressing sacral lymph node in the lymphotoxin beta-deficient mouse provides a site for immune generation following vaginal herpes simplex virus-2 infection. J Immunol. 2004;173:1908-13 pubmed..Therefore, an LT beta-independent pathway exists for the development of a lymph node associated with the genital mucosa, and such a lymph node serves to generate potent immune responses against viral challenge. ..
- May K, Lute K, Kocak E, Abdessalam S, Yin L, Li O, et al. Immune competence of cancer-reactive T cells generated de novo in adult tumor-bearing mice. Blood. 2007;109:253-8 pubmed..The immunocompetence of T cells generated in an antigen-bearing host is also confirmed in a skin graft transplantation model. ..
- Hou L, He S, Wang J, Yang Y, Zhu F, Zhou Y, et al. SM934, a water-soluble derivative of arteminisin, exerts immunosuppressive functions in vitro and in vivo. Int Immunopharmacol. 2009;9:1509-17 pubmed publisher..Taken together, SM934 showed potent immunosuppressive activities in vitro and in vivo. Our results demonstrated that SM934 might be a potential therapeutic agent for immune-related diseases. ..
- Pallasch C, Ulbrich S, Brinker R, Hallek M, Uger R, Wendtner C. Disruption of T cell suppression in chronic lymphocytic leukemia by CD200 blockade. Leuk Res. 2009;33:460-4 pubmed publisher..04). In summary, CD200 blockade may provide therapeutic benefits in CLL by augmenting an antigen-specific T cell response with suppression of regulatory T cells. ..
- Magalhaes I, Vudattu N, Jager E, Maeurer M. Tumor antigen-specific T-cells are Present in the CD8alphaalpha+ T-cell effector-memory pool. J Immunother. 2008;31:840-8 pubmed publisher..CD8alphaalpha+ and tetramer-specific T-cells may represent a valuable marker to gauge long-term antigen-specific T-cell memory. ..
- Röner S, Zinser E, Menges M, Wiethe C, Littmann L, Hänig J, et al. Minor role of bystander tolerance to fetal calf serum in a peptide-specific dendritic cell vaccine model against autoimmunity: comparison with serum-free cultures. J Immunother. 2008;31:656-64 pubmed publisher..Together, our data show that presentation of bystander antigens by peptide-specific DC vaccinations may have little influence on T-cell responses in vivo if the bystander antigen cannot be recalled by specific T cells. ..
- Takahama Y, Tanaka K, Murata S. Modest cortex and promiscuous medulla for thymic repertoire formation. Trends Immunol. 2008;29:251-5 pubmed publisher..These results could offer fundamental new insights into the molecular mechanisms of T-cell repertoire selection. ..
- Reinbold C, Malarkannan S. Recognition of allo-peptide is governed by novel anchor imposition and limited variations in TCR contact residues. Mol Immunol. 2008;45:1318-26 pubmed..Our findings provide evidence that mH antigen-specific TCRs are highly stringent in recognizing their cognate epitopes. ..
- Landais E, Saulquin X, Bonneville M, Houssaint E. Long-term MHC class II presentation of the EBV lytic protein BHRF1 by EBV latently infected b cells following capture of BHRF1 antigen. J Immunol. 2005;175:7939-46 pubmed..These results unveil an MHC class II-dependent pathway that could be important for the control of EBV latent infection through recognition of lytic cycle Ags...
- Weiner D. Progress in development and testing of novel recombinant vaccine platforms for HIV. Springer Semin Immunopathol. 2006;28:195-6 pubmed
- Schmid B, Schmid B, Kesmir C, de Boer R. The specificity and polymorphism of the MHC class I prevents the global adaptation of HIV-1 to the monomorphic proteasome and TAP. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3525 pubmed publisher..We estimate that upon transmission of a virus to a new host 39%-66% of the mutations that caused epitope precursor escapes are released from immune selection pressure...
- McKinney D, Skvoretz R, Livingston B, Wilson C, Anders M, Chesnut R, et al. Recognition of variant HIV-1 epitopes from diverse viral subtypes by vaccine-induced CTL. J Immunol. 2004;173:1941-50 pubmed..We believe the ability to predict CTL epitope immunogenicity and recognition patterns of variant epitopes can be useful for designing vaccines against multiple subtypes and circulating recombinant forms of HIV-1. ..
- Ullenhag G, Spendlove I, Watson N, Kallmeyer C, Pritchard Jones K, Durrant L. T-cell responses in osteosarcoma patients vaccinated with an anti-idiotypic antibody, 105AD7, mimicking CD55. Clin Immunol. 2008;128:148-54 pubmed publisher..Clinical responses and induction of immune responses to both the anti-idiotype and the native CD55 antigen support the use of CD55 as a target in cancer treatment. ..
- Akdis M. T-cell tolerance to inhaled allergens: mechanisms and therapeutic approaches. Expert Opin Biol Ther. 2008;8:769-77 pubmed
- Lochmatter P, Zawodniak A, Pichler W. In vitro tests in drug hypersensitivity diagnosis. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2009;29:537-54 pubmed publisher..In this article, the authors discuss current in vitro techniques, most recent findings, and new promising tools in the diagnosis of T-cell-mediated drug hypersensitivity...
- Miles J, Elhassen D, Borg N, Silins S, Tynan F, Burrows J, et al. CTL recognition of a bulged viral peptide involves biased TCR selection. J Immunol. 2005;175:3826-34 pubmed..The data show that bulged viral peptides are indeed immunogenic but suggest that the highly constrained TCR repertoire reflects a limit to TCR diversity when responding to some unusual MHC peptide ligands. ..
- Semmo N, Lucas M, Krashias G, Lauer G, Chapel H, Klenerman P. Maintenance of HCV-specific T-cell responses in antibody-deficient patients a decade after early therapy. Blood. 2006;107:4570-1 pubmed