Genomes and Genes
Summary: Manifestations of the immune response which are mediated by antigen-sensitized T-lymphocytes via lymphokines or direct cytotoxicity. This takes place in the absence of circulating antibody or where antibody plays a subordinate role.
- Ovsyannikova I, Dhiman N, Haralambieva I, Vierkant R, O Byrne M, Jacobson R, et al. Rubella vaccine-induced cellular immunity: evidence of associations with polymorphisms in the Toll-like, vitamin A and D receptors, and innate immune response genes. Hum Genet. 2010;127:207-21 pubmed publisher..This is the first paper to present evidence that polymorphisms in the TLR, vitamin A, vitamin D receptor, and innate immunity genes can influence adaptive cytokine responses to rubella vaccination. ..
- Wojcik R, Siwicki A, Skopinska Rozewska E, Wasiutynski A, Sommer E, Furmanowa M. The effect of Chinese medicinal herb Rhodiola kirilowii extracts on cellular immunity in mice and rats. Pol J Vet Sci. 2009;12:399-405 pubmed..vivo and in vitro effects of aqueous and 50% hydro-alcoholic extracts of RK rhizomes on some parameters of cellular immunity in H-2d mice and rats...
- Seibert S, Mex P, Kohler A, Kaufmann S, Mittrücker H. TLR2-, TLR4- and Myd88-independent acquired humoral and cellular immunity against Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. Immunol Lett. 2010;127:126-34 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that in the ST infection model, MyD88 as well as TLR2 and TLR4 were largely dispensable for the induction of protective acquired immunity. ..
- Ayada K, Yokota K, Hirai K, Fujimoto K, Kobayashi K, Ogawa H, et al. Regulation of cellular immunity prevents Helicobacter pylori-induced atherosclerosis. Lupus. 2009;18:1154-68 pubmed publisher..pylori accelerates atherosclerosis in mice and the active immunisation with Hp-HSP60 or the eradication of H. pylori with antibiotics can moderate/prevent cellular immunity, resulting in a reduction of atherosclerosis.
- Ferris R, Jaffee E, Ferrone S. Tumor antigen-targeted, monoclonal antibody-based immunotherapy: clinical response, cellular immunity, and immunoescape. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:4390-9 pubmed publisher..We discuss the evidence that triggering of TA-specific cellular immunity by TA-targeted mAb, in conjunction with immune escape mechanisms used by tumor cells, may contribute to the ..
- Paz Filho G, Delibasi T, Erol H, Wong M, Licinio J. Cellular immunity before and after leptin replacement therapy. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab. 2009;22:1069-74 pubmed..Humoral immunity was assessed by measuring levels of several immunoglobulins. Cellular immunity was evaluated by the analysis of lymphocyte proliferation in response to mitogens...
- Shimada M, Yoshizaki S, Jounai N, Kondo A, Ichino M, Ryo A, et al. DNA vaccine expressing HIV-1 gp120/immunoglobulin fusion protein enhances cellular immunity. Vaccine. 2010;28:4920-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that covalent antigen modification with an Ig sequence can modulate antigen-specific cellular immune responses. The approach may be useful for vaccine development. ..
- McMurchy A, Di Nunzio S, Roncarolo M, Bacchetta R, Levings M. Molecular regulation of cellular immunity by FOXP3. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2009;665:30-46 pubmed
- McKee A, Munks M, Macleod M, Fleenor C, Van Rooijen N, Kappler J, et al. Alum induces innate immune responses through macrophage and mast cell sensors, but these sensors are not required for alum to act as an adjuvant for specific immunity. J Immunol. 2009;183:4403-14 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that activation of the inflammasome and the type 2 innate response orchestrated by macrophages and mast cells in vivo are not required for adjuvant effect of alum on endogenous T and B cell responses...
- Qin H, Cha S, Neelapu S, Lou Y, Wei J, Liu Y, et al. Vaccine site inflammation potentiates idiotype DNA vaccine-induced therapeutic T cell-, and not B cell-, dependent antilymphoma immunity. Blood. 2009;114:4142-9 pubmed publisher..These studies also challenge the paradigm that antibody responses are the primary of idiotype-specific antitumor effects and support the optimization of idiotype vaccines designed to induce primarily T-cell immunity. ..
- Liu Y, Jiao F, Qiu Y, Li W, Qu Y, Tian C, et al. Immunostimulatory properties and enhanced TNF- alpha mediated cellular immunity for tumor therapy by C60(OH)20 nanoparticles. Nanotechnology. 2009;20:415102 pubmed publisher..The data suggest that C(60)(OH)(20) nanoparticles can improve the immune response to help to scavenge and kill tumor cells. ..
- Scheifele D, Ochnio J, Halperin S. Cellular immunity as a potential cause of local reactions to booster vaccination with diphtheria and tetanus toxoids and acellular pertussis antigens. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2009;28:985-9 pubmed publisher..Cell-mediated immunity (CMI) develops after primary DTaP vaccination and might contribute to local reactions to booster doses, a possibility explored in this study...
- Ghulam Muhammad A, Candolfi M, King G, Yagiz K, Foulad D, Mineharu Y, et al. Antiglioma immunological memory in response to conditional cytotoxic/immune-stimulatory gene therapy: humoral and cellular immunity lead to tumor regression. Clin Cancer Res. 2009;15:6113-27 pubmed publisher..The robust treatment efficacy lends further support to its implementation in a phase I clinical trial. ..
- Blomberg B, Alvarez J, Diaz A, Romero M, Lechner S, Carver C, et al. Psychosocial adaptation and cellular immunity in breast cancer patients in the weeks after surgery: An exploratory study. J Psychosom Res. 2009;67:369-76 pubmed publisher..Individual differences in psychosocial adaptation in women with breast cancer during the period after surgery relate to biological parameters that may be relevant for health and well-being as they move through treatment. ..
- Hansson G, Jonasson L. The discovery of cellular immunity in the atherosclerotic plaque. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2009;29:1714-7 pubmed publisher..This notion was met with general skepticism but has gained support from experimental and clinical studies. Here we describe some of the early studies that helped developing this concept. ..
- Gu X, Yang X, Wang D, Hua Z, Wu H, Chen H, et al. Comparison and significance of specific and non-specific cellular immunity in patients with chronic hepatitis B caused by infection with genotypes B or C of hepatitis B virus. Sci China C Life Sci. 2009;52:719-23 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that compared with CHB patients infected with HBV genotype B, the higher HBV DNA level and more severe liver damages in the patients infected with genotype C of HBV may be associated with genotype C of the virus. ..
- Jeong H, Song Y, Lee S, Lee J, Park S, Song C, et al. Comparative measurement of cell-mediated immune responses of swine to the M and N proteins of porcine reproductive and respiratory syndrome virus. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2010;17:503-12 pubmed publisher..The newly developed protocol for generating self APCs may prove effective in further efforts to characterize additional PRRSV proteins involved in the induction of cell-mediated immunity. ..
- Appay V, Sauce D, Prelog M. The role of the thymus in immunosenescence: lessons from the study of thymectomized individuals. Aging (Albany NY). 2010;2:78-81 pubmed..These studies represent new advances in our appreciation of the role of the thymus in humans and more generally in our understanding of the development of immunosenescence. ..
- Stanley D, Miller J, Tunaz H. Eicosanoid actions in insect immunity. J Innate Immun. 2009;1:282-90 pubmed publisher..We briefly describe insect immune functions, outline eicosanoid biosynthesis and treat eicosanoid actions in cellular immunity of insects...
- Hong Y, Han H, Peng J, Li Y, Shi Y, Fu Z, et al. Schistosoma japonicum: cloning, expression and characterization of a gene encoding the ?5-subunit of the proteasome. Exp Parasitol. 2010;126:517-25 pubmed publisher..The study suggested that rSjPSMA5 induced partial immunoprotection against S. japonicum in BALB/c mice, and it could be a potential vaccine candidate against schistosomiasis...
- Lindsey J, Hatfield L. Epstein-Barr virus and multiple sclerosis: cellular immune response and cross-reactivity. J Neuroimmunol. 2010;229:238-42 pubmed publisher..There was no measured cross-reactivity between LCL and brain antigens. We conclude that the cellular immune response against EBV-infected cells is neither increased nor decreased in MS...
- Feunou P, Kammoun H, Debrie A, Mielcarek N, Locht C. Long-term immunity against pertussis induced by a single nasal administration of live attenuated B. pertussis BPZE1. Vaccine. 2010;28:7047-53 pubmed publisher..These data highlight the potential of the live attenuated BPZE1 candidate vaccine as part of a strategy to solve the problem of waning protective immunity against B. pertussis observed with the current aPV vaccines. ..
- Dai B, Yang L, Yang H, Hu B, Baltimore D, Wang P. HIV-1 Gag-specific immunity induced by a lentivector-based vaccine directed to dendritic cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20382-7 pubmed publisher..These results demonstrate that this DC-directed LV immunization is a potent modality for eliciting anti-HIV immune responses. ..
- Watanabe W, Shimizu T, Sawamura R, Hino A, Konno K, Hirose A, et al. Effects of tetrabromobisphenol A, a brominated flame retardant, on the immune response to respiratory syncytial virus infection in mice. Int Immunopharmacol. 2010;10:393-7 pubmed publisher..Irregular changes in cytokine production and immune cell populations due to TBBPA treatment were suggested to cause exacerbation of pneumonia in RSV-infected mice. ..
- Boozari B, Mundt B, Woller N, Strüver N, Gürlevik E, Schache P, et al. Antitumoural immunity by virus-mediated immunogenic apoptosis inhibits metastatic growth of hepatocellular carcinoma. Gut. 2010;59:1416-26 pubmed publisher..The results suggest that combining intratumoural virotherapy with adjuvant systemic therapies, which specifically support the function of the virotherapy as an antitumoural vaccine, is a promising immunotherapeutic strategy against HCC. ..
- Budhu S, Loike J, Pandolfi A, Han S, Catalano G, Constantinescu A, et al. CD8+ T cell concentration determines their efficiency in killing cognate antigen-expressing syngeneic mammalian cells in vitro and in mouse tissues. J Exp Med. 2010;207:223-35 pubmed publisher..The antigen-specific CD8+ T cell concentration required to kill 100% of 2x10(7)/ml cognate antigen-expressing melanoma cells in collagen fibrin gels is >or=10(7)/ml of gel. ..
- Allmendinger J, Paradies F, Kamprad M, Richter T, Pustowoit B, Liebert U. Determination of rubella virus-specific cell-mediated immunity using IFN gamma-ELISpot. J Med Virol. 2010;82:335-40 pubmed publisher..Considering both humoral and cell-mediated immune responses, a positive RV immune reaction was seen in 98.6%. The results indicate that the IFN gamma-ELISpot can provide valuable additional information in seronegative individuals. ..
- Tasic S, Miladinović Tasić N. [Immunopathogenesis of recurrent genital candidosis in women]. Med Pregl. 2009;62:427-33 pubmed..encompassed examination of the immunity of the vaginal mucosa, as well as the influence of the system cellular immunity to the course of the vaginal fungal infection...
- Abrahamian F, Agrawal S, Gupta S. Immunological and clinical profile of adult patients with selective immunoglobulin subclass deficiency: response to intravenous immunoglobulin therapy. Clin Exp Immunol. 2010;159:344-50 pubmed publisher..IVIG appears to be an effective therapy. ..
- Mehra V, Musib R, Schito M. Towards developing standardized protocols for evaluation of cellular mucosal immune responses - Recommendations from a DAIDS/NIH workshop, June 15-16, 2009. Vaccine. 2010;28:4689-94 pubmed publisher..This report summarizes the areas of consensus and recommendations that should assist in developing standardized methodologies for the evaluation of mucosal immune responses. ..
- Fuller D, Zhang W. Regulation of lymphocyte development and activation by the LAT family of adapter proteins. Immunol Rev. 2009;232:72-83 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, LAT, along with LAB and LAX, plays a crucial role in establishing and maintaining tolerance. Here, we review recent data concerning the regulation of lymphocyte development and activation by the LAT family of proteins. ..
- Hoek A, Rutten V, van der Zee R, Davies C, Koets A. Epitopes of Mycobacterium avium ssp. paratuberculosis 70kDa heat-shock protein activate bovine helper T cells in outbred cattle. Vaccine. 2010;28:5910-9 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate the potential of the MAP Hsp70 subunit vaccine as a tool to control paratuberculosis in outbred cattle populations. ..
- Czuprynski C. Host response to bovine respiratory pathogens. Anim Health Res Rev. 2009;10:141-3 pubmed publisher..The above findings demonstrate that bovine respiratory pathogens (BHV-1, M. haemolytica and H. somni) interact with leukocytes and other cells (epithelial and endothelial cells) leading to the inflammation that characterizes BRD. ..
- Borad A, Ward H. Human immune responses in cryptosporidiosis. Future Microbiol. 2010;5:507-19 pubmed publisher..This review focuses on recent advances and future prospects in the understanding of human immune responses to Cryptosporidium infection. ..
- Vasan S, Schlesinger S, Huang Y, Hurley A, Lombardo A, Chen Z, et al. Phase 1 safety and immunogenicity evaluation of ADVAX, a multigenic, DNA-based clade C/B' HIV-1 candidate vaccine. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e8617 pubmed publisher..ADVAX delivered intramuscularly is safe, well-tolerated, and elicits modest but transient cellular immune responses. Clinicaltrials.gov NCT00249106. ..
- Chiarella P, Fazio V, Signori E. Application of electroporation in DNA vaccination protocols. Curr Gene Ther. 2010;10:281-6 pubmed..This approach not only provides the basis for human studies but also a practical application to veterinary medicine. ..
- Hanieh H, Gerile C, Narabara K, Gu Z, Abe A, Kondo Y. In vivo immunomodulatory effects of dietary purple sweet potato after immunization in chicken. Anim Sci J. 2010;81:116-21 pubmed publisher..and CD8-single positive and CD4-CD8-double negative (DN) cells in splenocytes, were both used to indicate cellular immunity. Relative weights of spleen, thymus and bursa and white blood cell (WBC) counts were studied...
- Gaber H, Maghraby A, Ahmed M, Ruppel A, Bahgat M. Immune responses in mice after immunization with antigens from different stages of the parasite Schistosoma mansoni. Z Naturforsch C. 2010;65:289-302 pubmed..SWAP booster caused significant increases in MLNs CD8+ T and B lymphocytes, CD(4,8)+ thymocytes and CD4+ T and B splenocytes. SEA caused significant increase in CD4+ T cells. ..
- Misplon J, Lo C, Gabbard J, Tompkins S, Epstein S. Genetic control of immune responses to influenza A matrix 2 protein (M2). Vaccine. 2010;28:5817-27 pubmed publisher..The conjugate vaccine enhanced some outcomes but not others. Co-immunizing with NP improved outcomes over either NP or M2 immunizations alone. These results have implications for vaccination of genetically diverse populations...
- Ancuta E, Ancuta C, Zugun Eloae F, Iordache C, Chirieac R, Carasevici E. Predictive value of cellular immune response in cervical cancer. Rom J Morphol Embryol. 2009;50:651-5 pubmed..CD3 may be used as potential prognostic biomarkers, whereas the results are promising for adjuvant immunotherapy. ..
- Zhou Z, French D, Ma G, Eisenstein S, Chen Y, Divino C, et al. Development and function of myeloid-derived suppressor cells generated from mouse embryonic and hematopoietic stem cells. Stem Cells. 2010;28:620-32 pubmed publisher..The successful in vitro generation of MDSCs may represent a critical step toward potential clinical application of MDSCs. ..
- Matuszyk J. [The roles of orphan nuclear receptors in T-lymphocyte development in the thymus]. Postepy Hig Med Dosw (Online). 2009;63:522-36 pubmed
- Frimpong Boateng K, Van Rooijen N, Geiben Lynn R. Regulatory T cells suppress natural killer cells during plasmid DNA vaccination in mice, blunting the CD8+ T cell immune response by the cytokine TGFbeta. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12281 pubmed publisher..Therefore, we tested the hypothesis that NK cell function is suppressed by Tregs in the setting of plasmid DNA vaccination...
- Picard C, Fischer A. Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation and other management strategies for MHC class II deficiency. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2010;30:173-8 pubmed publisher..Hematopoietic stem cell transplantation is the only known treatment available to cure MHC class II expression deficiency...
- Magalhaes I, Vudattu N, Ahmed R, Kuhlmann Berenzon S, Ngo Y, Sizemore D, et al. High content cellular immune profiling reveals differences between rhesus monkeys and men. Immunology. 2010;131:128-40 pubmed publisher..This provides a matrix to assess future efforts to study diseases and vaccines in NHPs. ..
- Steitz J, Barlow P, Hossain J, Kim E, Okada K, Kenniston T, et al. A candidate H1N1 pandemic influenza vaccine elicits protective immunity in mice. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e10492 pubmed publisher..Our study emphasizes the potential of an adenoviral-based influenza vaccine platform with the benefits of speed of manufacture and efficacy of a single dose immunization. ..