Genomes and Genes
Summary: Protection from an infectious disease agent that is mediated by B- and T- LYMPHOCYTES following exposure to specific antigen, and characterized by IMMUNOLOGIC MEMORY. It can result from either previous infection with that agent or vaccination (IMMUNITY, ACTIVE), or transfer of antibody or lymphocytes from an immune donor (IMMUNIZATION, PASSIVE).
Publications104 found, 100 shown here
- Wu X, Dayanand K, Thylur R, Norbury C, Gowda D. Small molecule-based inhibition of MEK1/2 proteins dampens inflammatory responses to malaria, reduces parasite load, and mitigates pathogenic outcomes. J Biol Chem. 2017;292:13615-13634 pubmed publisher..In summary, we have identified several previously unrecognized immune regulatory processes through which a MEK1/2 inhibitor approach controls malaria parasitemia and mitigates pathogenic effects on host organs. ..
- Das A, Rouault Pierre K, Kamdar S, Gomez Tourino I, Wood K, Donaldson I, et al. Adaptive from Innate: Human IFN-Î³+CD4+ T Cells Can Arise Directly from CXCL8-Producing Recent Thymic Emigrants in Babies and Adults. J Immunol. 2017;199:1696-1705 pubmed publisher..Thus, the temporal transition of host defense from innate to adaptive immunity is unexpectedly mirrored at the cellular level by the capacity of human innate-like CXCL8-producing CD4+..
- Liao C, Hsu J, Kim Y, Hu D, Xu D, Zhang J, et al. Selective inhibition of spleen tyrosine kinase (SYK) with a novel orally bioavailable small molecule inhibitor, RO9021, impinges on various innate and adaptive immune responses: implications for SYK inhibitors in autoimmune disease therapy. Arthritis Res Ther. 2013;15:R146 pubmed publisher..RO9021 could serve as a starting point for the development of selective SYK inhibitors for the treatment of inflammation-related and autoimmune-related disorders. ..
- Huang Y, Ladinig A, Ashley C, Haines D, Harding J. Innate and adaptive immune responses of snatch-farrowed porcine-colostrum-deprived pigs to Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae vaccination. BMC Vet Res. 2014;10:219 pubmed publisher..Whether or not this reflects greater resistance or tolerance to infection is unknown but the ability to react positively to the vaccination provides evidence that SF-pCD pigs are a suitable alternative model for swine disease research. ..
- Veldhoen M. Interleukin 17 is a chief orchestrator of immunity. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:612-621 pubmed publisher..Together these attributes provide a robust response against microorganisms, but they can equally contribute to immune pathology. Here we focus on a discussion of the role of IL-17 during infection. ..
- Gershon A. Is chickenpox so bad, what do we know about immunity to varicella zoster virus, and what does it tell us about the future?. J Infect. 2017;74 Suppl 1:S27-S33 pubmed publisher..There are strong indications that the best way to control disease and spread of this virus is by vaccination against both. ..
- Bauer J, Becker A, Elyaman W, Peltola J, Ruegg S, Titulaer M, et al. Innate and adaptive immunity in human epilepsies. Epilepsia. 2017;58 Suppl 3:57-68 pubmed publisher..In general, activation of both innate and adaptive immunity plays a role in refractory forms of epilepsy...
- McLean A, Boel M, McGready R, Ataide R, Drew D, Tsuboi T, et al. Antibody Responses to Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax and Prospective Risk of Plasmodium spp. Infection Postpartum. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;96:1197-1204 pubmed publisher..Serology may be a useful tool to predict and monitor women at increased risk of P. falciparum infection postpartum, particularly in the absence of a detailed history of retrospective infections. ..
- Sánchez Trujillo L, Vázquez Garza E, Castillo E, García Rivas G, Torre Amione G. Role of Adaptive Immunity in the Development and Progression of Heart Failure: New Evidence. Arch Med Res. 2017;48:1-11 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the role of the adaptive immunity cells in HF, considering the sustained activation of adaptive immune system as a potential contributor to ..
- Abril Rodriguez G, Ribas A. SnapShot: Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors. Cancer Cell. 2017;31:848-848.e1 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the molecular mechanisms underlying checkpoint blockade therapies will facilitate the design of novel strategies to treat and prevent resistance. To view this SnapShot, open or download the PDF. ..
- Blander J, Longman R, Iliev I, Sonnenberg G, Artis D. Regulation of inflammation by microbiota interactions with the host. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:851-860 pubmed publisher..Finally, we highlight new insights into how the microbiome influences the host response to infection, vaccination and cancer, as well as susceptibility to autoimmune and neurodegenerative disorders. ..
- Chen C, Mittal R, Klingensmith N, Burd E, Terhorst C, Martin G, et al. Cutting Edge: 2B4-Mediated Coinhibition of CD4+ T Cells Underlies Mortality in Experimental Sepsis. J Immunol. 2017;199:1961-1966 pubmed publisher..Our results illuminate a novel role for 2B4 coinhibitory signaling on CD4+ T cells in mediating immune dysregulation. ..
- Chen Y, Satpathy A, Chang H. Gene regulation in the immune system by long noncoding RNAs. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:962-972 pubmed publisher..We emphasize critical gaps in knowledge and future prospects for the roles of lncRNAs in the immune system and autoimmune disease. ..
- Xiong X, Yang H, Wang X, Hu Q, Liu C, Wu X, et al. Effect of low dosage of chito-oligosaccharide supplementation on intestinal morphology, immune response, antioxidant capacity, and barrier function in weaned piglets. J Anim Sci. 2015;93:1089-97 pubmed publisher..The research will provide guidance on the low dosage of COS supplementation on weaning pigs. ..
- Cashman C, Hoke A. Deficiency of adaptive immunity does not interfere with Wallerian degeneration. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0177070 pubmed publisher..To study this hypothesis, three different mouse models with impaired adaptive immunity were compared to wild type animals in their ability to degenerate axons and clear myelin debris one week ..
- Caster D, Powell D, Miralda I, Ward R, McLeish K. Re-Examining Neutrophil Participation in GN. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017;28:2275-2289 pubmed publisher..In this review, we describe advances in understanding classic neutrophil functions, review the expanded roles of neutrophils in innate and adaptive immune responses, and summarize current knowledge of neutrophil contributions to GN. ..
- Chauhan P, Shukla D, Chattopadhyay D, Saha B. Redundant and regulatory roles for Toll-like receptors in Leishmania infection. Clin Exp Immunol. 2017;190:167-186 pubmed publisher..These features of apparent redundancy and regulation in the functioning of TLRs characterize them as important and probable contributory factors in the resistance or susceptibility to an infection. ..
- Wang F, Zhang C, Jiang Y, Kou C, Kong Q, Long N, et al. Innate and adaptive immune response to chronic pulmonary infection of hyphae of Aspergillus fumigatus in a new murine model. J Med Microbiol. 2017;66:1400-1408 pubmed publisher..We established a new murine model of chronic infection of hyphae to mimic the formation of CPA, and provide a new marker for different immune responses to hyphae and conidia. ..
- Chen W, Li L, Yang J. Emerging Roles of IL-33/ST2 Axis in Renal Diseases. Int J Mol Sci. 2017;18: pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the pathological and tissue reparative roles of the IL-33/ST2 pathway in different types of renal diseases. ..
- Jacobsen J, Woodard J, Mandal M, Clark M, Bartom E, Sigvardsson M, et al. EZH2 Regulates the Developmental Timing of Effectors of the Pre-Antigen Receptor Checkpoints. J Immunol. 2017;198:4682-4691 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover a crucial role for EZH2 in adaptive lymphocytes to control the developmental timing of effectors of the pre-Ag receptor checkpoints. ..
- Ruscher R, Kummer R, Lee Y, Jameson S, Hogquist K. CD8?? intraepithelial lymphocytes arise from two main thymic precursors. Nat Immunol. 2017;18:771-779 pubmed publisher..These data provide a foundation for understanding the biology of CD8?? IELs. ..
- Schwaiger T, Knittler M, Grund C, Roemer Oberdoerfer A, Kapp J, Lerch M, et al. Newcastle disease virus mediates pancreatic tumor rejection via NK cell activation and prevents cancer relapse by prompting adaptive immunity. Int J Cancer. 2017;141:2505-2516 pubmed publisher..Our study emphasizes the importance of an adaptive immune response, which is initiated by NDV to mediate long-term tumor surveillance in addition to direct oncolysis. ..
- Dannemiller N, Webb C, Wilson K, Bentler K, Mooers N, Ellis J, et al. Impact of body condition on influenza A virus infection dynamics in mallards following a secondary exposure. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0175757 pubmed publisher..Consequently, while annual migration may be a driver in the maintenance and spread of IAVs, the energetic demands of migration may not affect susceptibility in mallards. ..
- Irizarry K, Downs E, Bryden R, Clark J, Griggs L, Kopulos R, et al. RNA sequencing demonstrates large-scale temporal dysregulation of gene expression in stimulated macrophages derived from MHC-defined chicken haplotypes. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179391 pubmed publisher..These differences in gene expression appear to be regulated by complex epigenetic mechanisms that need further investigation. ..
- Palaniyar N. Antibody equivalent molecules of the innate immune system: parallels between innate and adaptive immune proteins. Innate Immun. 2010;16:131-7 pubmed publisher..The discovery, structure, functions and future research directions of many of these soluble proteins and receptors such as Toll-like and NOD-like receptors are discussed in this special issue of Innate Immunity. ..
- White M, Nielsen C, McGregor R, Riley E, Goodier M. Differential activation of CD57-defined natural killer cell subsets during recall responses to vaccine antigens. Immunology. 2014;142:140-50 pubmed publisher..These findings have implications for the ability of NK cells to contribute to the effector response after vaccination and for vaccine-induced immunity in older individuals. ..
- Muszynski J, Nofziger R, Greathouse K, Steele L, Hanson Huber L, Nateri J, et al. Early adaptive immune suppression in children with septic shock: a prospective observational study. Crit Care. 2014;18:R145 pubmed publisher..Percentage of regulatory T cells (CD4+CD25+CD127lo) did not differ among groups. Adaptive immune suppression may occur early in the course of pediatric septic shock and is associated with adverse infection-related outcomes. ..
- Hullegie S, Arends J, Groothuismink Z, Pas S, Rijnders B, Boonstra A, et al. Decreased pro-inflammatory immune responses during recurrent acute HCV infections in HIV co-infected patients. J Gen Virol. 2017;98:1294-1298 pubmed publisher..acute HCV infections in patients with an HIV infection, and focused on the cytokine bridging innate to adaptive immunity. We observed that the serum levels of IL-12p40, MIP-1?, MIG and IP-10 increased during primary acute HCV ..
- Kebschull M, Papapanou P. Mini but mighty: microRNAs in the pathobiology of periodontal disease. Periodontol 2000. 2015;69:201-20 pubmed publisher..Although the intricate regulatory networks affected by miRNA function are still incompletely mapped, further utilization of systems biology tools is expected to enhance our understanding of the pathobiology of periodontitis. ..
- Pandey S, Tripathi D, Khubaib M, Kumar A, Sheikh J, Sumanlatha G, et al. Mycobacterium tuberculosis Peptidyl-Prolyl Isomerases Are Immunogenic, Alter Cytokine Profile and Aid in Intracellular Survival. Front Cell Infect Microbiol. 2017;7:38 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that M. tb Ppiases are immunogenic proteins that can possibly modulate host immune response and enhance persistence of the pathogen within the host by subverting host cell generated stresses. ..
- Chavan S, Tracey K. Essential Neuroscience in Immunology. J Immunol. 2017;198:3389-3397 pubmed publisher..focused on the molecular mechanisms by which hematopoietic cells initiate and maintain innate and adaptive immunity. That cornerstone of attention has been expanded by recent discoveries that neuronal signals occupy a ..
- Mohabati Mobarez A, Ahmadrajabi R, Khoramabadi N, Salmanian A. Protection against Legionnaire's Disease: Recombinant Flagellin A of Legionella pneumophila Can Induce Protective Immunity against Bacteremia in a BALB/c Murine Model. J Mol Microbiol Biotechnol. 2017;27:110-116 pubmed publisher..These results show that rFLA from L. pneumophila can elicit strong innate and adaptive immune responses and suggest the possibility of a long-term immunity against lethal challenge with L. pneumophila. ..
- McLaughlin T, Ackerman S, Shen L, Engleman E. Role of innate and adaptive immunity in obesity-associated metabolic disease. J Clin Invest. 2017;127:5-13 pubmed publisher..Conversely, eosinophils, Th2 T cells, type 2 innate lymphoid cells, and possibly Foxp3+ Tregs protect against IR through local control of inflammation. ..
- Ansari M, Pedergnana V, L C Ip C, Magrí A, von Delft A, Bonsall D, et al. Genome-to-genome analysis highlights the effect of the human innate and adaptive immune systems on the hepatitis C virus. Nat Genet. 2017;49:666-673 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the interplay between the innate immune system and the viral genome in HCV control. ..
- Wilk M, Misiak A, McManus R, Allen A, Lynch M, Mills K. Lung CD4 Tissue-Resident Memory T Cells Mediate Adaptive Immunity Induced by Previous Infection of Mice with Bordetella pertussis. J Immunol. 2017;199:233-243 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that Ag-specific CD4 TRM cells play a critical role in adaptive immunity against reinfection and memory induced by natural infection with B. pertussis.
- Angelotti F, Parma A, Cafaro G, Capecchi R, Alunno A, Puxeddu I. One year in review 2017: pathogenesis of rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol. 2017;35:368-378 pubmed..g. B and T lymphocytes). Currently, our understanding of the role of innate and adaptive immunity in the pathogenesis of RA is expanding...
- van den Dries L, Claassen M, Groothuismink Z, van Gorp E, Boonstra A. Immune activation in prolonged cART-suppressed HIV patients is comparable to that of healthy controls. Virology. 2017;509:133-139 pubmed publisher..Residual immune activation status in well-treated HIV-infection is similar to levels observed in healthy controls. ..
- Hazeldine J, Naumann D, Toman E, Davies D, Bishop J, Su Z, et al. Prehospital immune responses and development of multiple organ dysfunction syndrome following traumatic injury: A prospective cohort study. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002338 pubmed publisher..The relationship of these changes, especially in NKT cell numbers, to patient outcomes such as MODS warrants further investigation. ..
- . Meningococcal vaccines: WHO position paper, November 2011. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2011;86:521-39 pubmed
- Zhang H, Luo J, Alcorn J, Chen K, Fan S, Pilewski J, et al. AIM2 Inflammasome Is Critical for Influenza-Induced Lung Injury and Mortality. J Immunol. 2017;198:4383-4393 pubmed publisher..AIM2 might serve as a therapeutic target for combating influenza-associated morbidity and mortality without compromising the host antiviral responses. ..
- Lee W, Kristensen A, Rasmussen T, Tolstrup M, Ã˜stergaard L, SÃ¸gaard O, et al. Anti-HIV-1 ADCC Antibodies following Latency Reversal and Treatment Interruption. J Virol. 2017;91: pubmed publisher..Our study has implications for the antigenic stimulus required for antilatency strategies and/or therapeutic vaccines to boost functional antibodies and assist in eliminating the latent reservoir. ..
- Agnandji S, Fernandes J, Bache E, Obiang Mba R, Brosnahan J, Kabwende L, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of rVSV?G-ZEBOV-GP Ebola vaccine in adults and children in Lambaréné, Gabon: A phase I randomised trial. PLoS Med. 2017;14:e1002402 pubmed publisher..The rVSV?G-ZEBOV-GP vaccine prevented Ebola virus disease when used at 2 × 107 plaque-forming units (PFU) in a trial in Guinea. This study provides further safety and immunogenicity data...
- Wałajtys Rode E, Dzik J. Monocyte/Macrophage: NK Cell Cooperation-Old Tools for New Functions. Results Probl Cell Differ. 2017;62:73-145 pubmed publisher..standpoint of innate immune system development and its evolutionary progressive interaction with adaptive immunity. The equally conservative ways of development and differentiation of both invertebrate hemocytes and ..
- Boothby M, Rickert R. Metabolic Regulation of the Immune Humoral Response. Immunity. 2017;46:743-755 pubmed publisher..Moreover, emerging findings reveal a cross-talk among the external milieu, signal transduction pathways, and transcription factors that direct B cell fate in the periphery. ..
- Ferrari G, Pollara J, Tomaras G, Haynes B. Humoral and Innate Antiviral Immunity as Tools to Clear Persistent HIV Infection. J Infect Dis. 2017;215:S152-S159 pubmed publisher..Harnessing humoral and innate cellular responses has become one focus of research to develop innovative strategies to recruit and redirect cytotoxic effector cells to eliminate the HIV-1 latently infected CD4+ T-cell reservoir. ..
- Tesch G. Diabetic nephropathy - is this an immune disorder?. Clin Sci (Lond). 2017;131:2183-2199 pubmed publisher..In addition, this review discusses therapies which are currently under development for targeting the immune system in diabetic nephropathy and indicates those which have proceeded into clinical trials. ..
- . Rubella vaccines: WHO position paper. Wkly Epidemiol Rec. 2011;86:301-16 pubmed
- de Martino M, Galli L, Chiappini E. Reflections on the immunology of tuberculosis: will we ever unravel the skein?. BMC Infect Dis. 2014;14 Suppl 1:S1 pubmed publisher..To gain these objectives is vital and urgent considering that tuberculosis is a common cause of morbidity and is a leading cause of death. ..
- Tomasini N, Ragone P, Gourbière S, Aparicio J, Diosque P. Epidemiological modeling of Trypanosoma cruzi: Low stercorarian transmission and failure of host adaptive immunity explain the frequency of mixed infections in humans. PLoS Comput Biol. 2017;13:e1005532 pubmed publisher..Those estimates are of particular interest for vaccine development and for our understanding of the higher risk of chronic disease manifestations suffered by infected people living in endemic areas. ..
- Miyazaki M, Miyazaki K, Chen K, Jin Y, Turner J, Moore A, et al. The E-Id Protein Axis Specifies Adaptive Lymphoid Cell Identity and Suppresses Thymic Innate Lymphoid Cell Development. Immunity. 2017;46:818-834.e4 pubmed publisher..On the basis of these and previous observations, we propose that the E-Id protein axis specifies innate and adaptive lymphoid cell fate. ..
- Lim S, Choi H, Kim D. The Mixture of Anemarrhena asphodeloides and Coptis chinensis Attenuates High-Fat Diet-Induced Colitis in Mice. Am J Chin Med. 2017;45:1033-1046 pubmed publisher..These findings suggest that AC-mix can ameliorate HFD-induced colitis by regulating innate and adaptive immunities and correcting the disturbance of gut microbiota...
- Deretic V, Kimura T, Timmins G, Moseley P, Chauhan S, Mandell M. Immunologic manifestations of autophagy. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:75-84 pubmed publisherThe broad immunologic roles of autophagy span innate and adaptive immunity and are often manifested in inflammatory diseases...
- Igarashi K, Kurosaki T, Roychoudhuri R. BACH transcription factors in innate and adaptive immunity. Nat Rev Immunol. 2017;17:437-450 pubmed publisher..The findings contribute to a general understanding of how transcriptional repressors shape lineage commitment and cell-type-specific functions through repression of alternative lineage programmes. ..
- Kumar Nathella P, Babu S. Influence of diabetes mellitus on immunity to human tuberculosis. Immunology. 2017;152:13-24 pubmed publisher..Some effects of DM on adaptive immunity that are potentially relevant to TB defence have been identified in humans...
- Bhattacharyya M, Madden P, Henning N, Gregory S, Aid M, Martinot A, et al. Regulation of CD4 T cells and their effects on immunopathological inflammation following viral infection. Immunology. 2017;152:328-343 pubmed publisher..These findings are important for rational vaccine design and for improving adoptive T-cell therapies against persistent antigens. ..
- Biggs C, Keles S, Chatila T. DOCK8 deficiency: Insights into pathophysiology, clinical features and management. Clin Immunol. 2017;181:75-82 pubmed publisher..It also surveys the recently discovered combined immunodeficiency due to DOCK2 deficiency, highlighting in the process the emerging spectrum of PIDs resulting from DOCK protein family abnormalities. ..
- Mehta M, Weinberg S, Chandel N. Mitochondrial control of immunity: beyond ATP. Nat Rev Immunol. 2017;17:608-620 pubmed publisher..In this Review, we discuss how mitochondrial metabolism varies across different immune cell subsets, how metabolic signalling dictates cell fate and how this signalling could potentially be targeted therapeutically. ..
- Bakker E, Guazzelli A, Ashtiani F, Demonacos C, Krstic Demonacos M, Mutti L. Immunotherapy advances for mesothelioma treatment. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2017;17:799-814 pubmed publisher..A description of innate and adaptive immunity and the principles and justification of immunotherapy is also included...
- Li S, Sullivan N, Rouphael N, Yu T, Banton S, Maddur M, et al. Metabolic Phenotypes of Response to Vaccination in Humans. Cell. 2017;169:862-877.e17 pubmed publisher..Our approach is broadly applicable to study human immunity and can help to identify predictors of efficacy as well as mechanisms controlling immunity to vaccination. ..
- Hou J, Wang S, Jia M, Li D, Liu Y, Li Z, et al. A Systems Vaccinology Approach Reveals Temporal Transcriptomic Changes of Immune Responses to the Yellow Fever 17D Vaccine. J Immunol. 2017;199:1476-1489 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings indicate that YF-17D vaccination induces a prompt innate immune response and DC activation, a robust Ag-specific T cell response, and a persistent B cell/memory B cell response. ..
- Lewnard J, Lopman B, Parashar U, Bar Zeev N, Samuel P, Guerrero M, et al. Naturally Acquired Immunity Against Rotavirus Infection and Gastroenteritis in Children: Paired Reanalyses of Birth Cohort Studies. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:317-326 pubmed publisher..We revisited birth cohort studies to understand naturally acquired protection against rotavirus infection and RVGE...
- Tabas I, Lichtman A. Monocyte-Macrophages and T Cells in Atherosclerosis. Immunity. 2017;47:621-634 pubmed publisher..Herein, we review select topics that shed light on these processes and suggest new treatment strategies. ..
- Card C, Yu S, Swartz M. Emerging roles of lymphatic endothelium in regulating adaptive immunity. J Clin Invest. 2014;124:943-52 pubmed publisher..class II molecules, and express immunomodulatory cytokines and receptors, which suggests that their roles in adaptive immunity are far more extensive than previously realized...
- Braun M, Vaibhav K, Saad N, Fatima S, Brann D, Vender J, et al. Activation of Myeloid TLR4 Mediates T Lymphocyte Polarization after Traumatic Brain Injury. J Immunol. 2017;198:3615-3626 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data implicate TLR4-dependent, M1 macrophage trafficking/polarization into the CNS as a key mechanistic link between acute TBI and long-term, adaptive immune responses. ..
- Sharma R, Ghasparian A, Robinson J, McCullough K. Dendritic Cell Sensing of Hydrophobic Di- and Triacylated Lipopeptides Self-Assembled within Synthetic Virus-like Particles. J Immunol. 2017;199:734-749 pubmed publisher..Thus, vaccines carrying hydrophobic TLR2 ligands would interact with particular DCs for efficient induction of specific immunity in the absence of additional adjuvant. ..
- Teng M, Galon J, Fridman W, Smyth M. From mice to humans: developments in cancer immunoediting. J Clin Invest. 2015;125:3338-46 pubmed publisher..We also discuss the temporal occurrence of cancer immunoediting in metastases and whether it differs from immunoediting in the primary tumor of origin. ..
- van der Torren C, Zaldumbide A, Roelen D, Duinkerken G, Brand Schaaf S, Peakman M, et al. Innate and adaptive immunity to human beta cell lines: implications for beta cell therapy. Diabetologia. 2016;59:170-5 pubmed