Genomes and Genes
Summary: Immune status consisting of non-production of HIV antibodies, as determined by various serological tests.
- Jennes W, Camara M, Dieye T, Mboup S, Kestens L. Higher homologous and lower cross-reactive Gag-specific T-cell responses in human immunodeficiency virus type 2 (HIV-2) than in HIV-1 infection. J Virol. 2008;82:8619-28 pubmed publisher..Understanding the nature of immune control of HIV-2 infection could be crucial for HIV vaccine design. ..
- Lanternier F, Lebbe C, Schartz N, Farhi D, Marcelin A, Kerob D, et al. Kaposi's sarcoma in HIV-negative men having sex with men. AIDS. 2008;22:1163-8 pubmed publisher..Its prognosis is good, as Kaposi's sarcoma is generally limited, but clinicians should be aware of the association with lymphoproliferative diseases, which may affect prognosis. ..
- Nakimuli Mpungu E, Musisi S, Mpungu S, Katabira E. Primary mania versus HIV-related secondary mania in Uganda. Am J Psychiatry. 2006;163:1349-54; quiz 1480 pubmed..The relation between secondary mania and depressed CD4 counts suggests that in the setting of an HIV/AIDS epidemic in poor countries, secondary mania may be used as an indicator to initiate highly active antiretroviral therapy. ..
- Begaud E, Chartier L, Marechal V, Ipero J, Leal J, Versmisse P, et al. Reduced CD4 T cell activation and in vitro susceptibility to HIV-1 infection in exposed uninfected Central Africans. Retrovirology. 2006;3:35 pubmed..007). We found low levels of CD4 T cell activation and reduced PBMC susceptibility to HIV-1 infection in Central African EUs, indicating that both may contribute to the resistance to HIV-1 infection. ..
- Ezeanochie M, Olagbuji B, Ande A, Oboro V. Fertility preferences, condom use, and concerns among HIV-positive women in serodiscordant relationships in the era of antiretroviral therapy. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2009;107:97-8 pubmed publisher..This trend needs to be addressed because of its consequences for public health. ..
- Steinbrook R. Tuberculosis and HIV in India. N Engl J Med. 2007;356:1198-9 pubmed
- McGowan I, Elliott J, Cortina G, Tanner K, Siboliban C, Adler A, et al. Characterization of baseline intestinal mucosal indices of injury and inflammation in men for use in rectal microbicide trials (HIV Prevention Trials Network-056). J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2007;46:417-25 pubmed..These data help to provide a rationale for the selection of endpoints for future phase 1 rectal safety studies. ..
- Peltzer K, Chao L, Dana P. Family planning among HIV positive and negative prevention of mother to child transmission (PMTCT) clients in a resource poor setting in South Africa. AIDS Behav. 2009;13:973-9 pubmed publisher..HIV prevention and family planning must acknowledge the reproductive desires of HIV positive women and men. ..
- Kigozi G, Gray R, Wawer M, Serwadda D, Makumbi F, Watya S, et al. The safety of adult male circumcision in HIV-infected and uninfected men in Rakai, Uganda. PLoS Med. 2008;5:e116 pubmed publisher..All men should be strongly counseled to refrain from intercourse until full wound healing is achieved. http://www.ClinicalTrials.gov; for HIV-negative men #NCT00425984 and for HIV-positive men, #NCT000124878. ..
- Piacentini L, Fenizia C, Naddeo V, Clerici M. Not just sheer luck! Immune correlates of protection against HIV-1 infection. Vaccine. 2008;26:3002-7 pubmed publisher..In this review, we will summarize the body of knowledge that stemmed from that first observation. ..
- Ostrow D, Silverberg M, Cook R, Chmiel J, Johnson L, Li X, et al. Prospective study of attitudinal and relationship predictors of sexual risk in the multicenter AIDS cohort study. AIDS Behav. 2008;12:127-38 pubmed
- Novak R, Donoval B, Graham P, Boksa L, Spear G, Hershow R, et al. Cervicovaginal levels of lactoferrin, secretory leukocyte protease inhibitor, and RANTES and the effects of coexisting vaginoses in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)-seronegative women with a high risk of heterosexual acquisition of HIV infection. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2007;14:1102-7 pubmed..However, the increased RANTES levels in a higher-risk subset of high-risk women were reduced after BV treatment. ..
- Dubey S, Clair J, Fu T, Guan L, Long R, Mogg R, et al. Detection of HIV vaccine-induced cell-mediated immunity in HIV-seronegative clinical trial participants using an optimized and validated enzyme-linked immunospot assay. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2007;45:20-7 pubmed
- Kierstead L, Dubey S, Meyer B, Tobery T, Mogg R, Fernandez V, et al. Enhanced rates and magnitude of immune responses detected against an HIV vaccine: effect of using an optimized process for isolating PBMC. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2007;23:86-92 pubmed..These studies establish the importance of optimal conditions for PBMC collection and handling to the success of a clinical development program. ..
- Alexander R, Mestecky J. Neutralizing antibodies in mucosal secretions: IgG or IgA?. Curr HIV Res. 2007;5:588-93 pubmed..Considering the importance of the antibody response to ascertaining the correlates of HIV immunity, as well as on vaccine research and development, this review addresses the relevant studies and their implications. ..
- de Ledinghen V, Barreiro P, Foucher J, Labarga P, Castera L, Vispo M, et al. Liver fibrosis on account of chronic hepatitis C is more severe in HIV-positive than HIV-negative patients despite antiretroviral therapy. J Viral Hepat. 2008;15:427-33 pubmed publisher..HIV/HCV-coinfected patients have more advanced liver fibrosis than HCV-monoinfected patients despite the immunologic benefit of HAART. ..
- Turner A, Miller W, Padian N, Kaufman J, Behets F, Chipato T, et al. Unprotected sex following HIV testing among women in Uganda and Zimbabwe: short- and long-term comparisons with pre-test behaviour. Int J Epidemiol. 2009;38:997-1007 pubmed publisher..HIV-negative women did not increase condom use after testing and counselling, but neither did they decrease condom use, suggesting that testing negative was not interpreted as endorsement of risky behaviour. ..
- Card C, McLaren P, Wachihi C, Kimani J, Plummer F, Fowke K. Decreased immune activation in resistance to HIV-1 infection is associated with an elevated frequency of CD4(+)CD25(+)FOXP3(+) regulatory T cells. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:1318-22 pubmed publisher..By controlling levels of T cell activation, T(reg) cells may contribute to HIV resistance by minimizing the pool of cells susceptible to infection. ..
- Kongnyuy E, Wiysonge C. Association between fertility and HIV status: what implications for HIV estimates?. BMC Public Health. 2008;8:309 pubmed publisher..The findings of this study support the use of summary RIR for the adjustment of HIV prevalence (among adult female population) obtained from sentinel surveillance in antenatal clinics. ..
- Tang J, Shao W, Yoo Y, Brill I, Mulenga J, Allen S, et al. Human leukocyte antigen class I genotypes in relation to heterosexual HIV type 1 transmission within discordant couples. J Immunol. 2008;181:2626-35 pubmed..Thus, HLA class I gene products not only mediate HIV-1 pathogenesis and evolution but also influence heterosexual HIV-1 transmission. ..
- McClelland R, Richardson B, Graham S, Masese L, Gitau R, Lavreys L, et al. A prospective study of risk factors for bacterial vaginosis in HIV-1-seronegative African women. Sex Transm Dis. 2008;35:617-23 pubmed publisher..59, 95% CI 0.48-0.73). Vaginal washing and unprotected intercourse were associated with increased risk of BV. These findings could help to inform the development of novel vaginal health approaches for HIV-1 risk reduction in women. ..
- Chen W, Walker N. Fertility of HIV-infected women: insights from Demographic and Health Surveys. Sex Transm Infect. 2010;86 Suppl 2:ii22-7 pubmed publisher..The study updated the assumptions used in the annual WHO/UNAIDS HIV epidemic estimates. Countries should compute their own ASFR ratio of 15-19-year-old women accounting for the sexually active rate among young females. ..
- Matthews L, Ribaudo H, Parekh N, Chen J, Binda K, Ogwu A, et al. Birth weight for gestational age norms for a large cohort of infants born to HIV-negative women in Botswana compared with norms for U.S.-born black infants. BMC Pediatr. 2011;11:115 pubmed publisher..These data serve as a reference for Botswana, may apply to southern Africa, and may help to identify infants at risk for perinatal complications and inform comparisons among infants exposed to HIV and antiretrovirals in utero. ..
- Sudenga S, Kempf M, McGwin G, Wilson C, Hook E, Shrestha S. Incidence, prevalence, and epidemiology of herpes simplex virus-2 in HIV-1-positive and HIV-1-negative adolescents. Sex Transm Dis. 2012;39:300-5 pubmed publisher..The high prevalence and incidence of HSV-2 infection among adolescents, compared with the general population at this age group suggests a critical need for screening and preventive programs among this targeted group. ..
- Cheng S, Chu F, Lin Y, Hsueh Y. Influence of age and CD4+ T cell counts on the prevalence of genital human papillomavirus infection among HIV-seropositive men who have sex with men in Taiwan. J Med Virol. 2012;84:1876-83 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, this novel HPV study, carried out in Northern Taiwan on men who have sex with men, revealed that age and immune state were associated significantly and independently with HPV infection. ..
- Graboyes E, Allen C, Chernock R, Diaz J. Oral hairy leukoplakia in an HIV-negative patient. Ear Nose Throat J. 2013;92:E12 pubmed..The article also summarizes the current state of knowledge about the pathogenesis of OHL, its relation to the Epstein-Barr virus, and the treatment options. ..
- Hoffman I, Latkin C, Kukhareva P, Malov S, Batluk J, Shaboltas A, et al. A peer-educator network HIV prevention intervention among injection drug users: results of a randomized controlled trial in St. Petersburg, Russia. AIDS Behav. 2013;17:2510-20 pubmed publisher..73, permutation p value = 0.16). Retention rate was 67 % with a third of the loss due to incarceration or death. The results show a promising trend that this strategy would be successful in reducing the acquisition of HIV among IDUs. ..
- Jones D, Chitalu N, Ndubani P, Mumbi M, Weiss S, Villar Loubet O, et al. Sexual risk reduction among Zambian couples. SAHARA J. 2009;6:69-75 pubmed
- Kolawole O, Kola O, Hilda A, Ayodeji A, Olubunmi A, Abayomi A, et al. Detection of Human Papilloma Virus (Type 16) among HIV-Positive Women in Ogbomoso, South-Western Nigeria. J Immunoassay Immunochem. 2016;37:130-40 pubmed publisher..This seroepidemiological survey is important for the prevention efforts such as availability of vaccine. ..
- Cheng S, Klein H, Bartsch D, Kozak I, Marcotte T, Freeman W. Relationship between retinal nerve fiber layer thickness and driving ability in patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 2011;249:1643-7 pubmed publisher..Driving ability may be impacted by reductions in retinal nerve fiber layer thickness. Physicians should consider the potential impact that more complex ophthalmologic conditions in HIV-infected patients may have on driving performance. ..
- . Concordant and discordant reports on shared sexual behaviors and condom use among African American serodiscordant couples in four cities. AIDS Behav. 2010;14:1011-22 pubmed publisher..Findings from this paper provide new scientific insights into the knowledge base of self-reported couples' data and suggest that these data can be used to evaluate their accuracy and serve as a proxy for validity. ..
- Van Velthoven M, Tudor Car L, Gentry S, Car J. Telephone delivered interventions for preventing HIV infection in HIV-negative persons. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013;:CD009190 pubmed publisher..There is a need for robust evidence from various settings on the effectiveness of using phone calls for providing PEP support and for other HIV prevention interventions. ..
- Dionne Odom J, Karita E, Kilembe W, Henderson F, Vwalika B, Bayingana R, et al. Syphilis treatment response among HIV-discordant couples in Zambia and Rwanda. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;56:1829-37 pubmed publisher..Current US treatment guidelines recommend 1 dose of benzathine penicillin for early syphilis, irrespective of HIV status, but data from coinfected patients are limited...
- Alberte Castiñeiras A, Campos Bueno A, López Urrutia L, Alvarez Alonso E, Megías G, Ojeda Fernández E, et al. [Drug-resistance in Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Castilla y León, Spain, 2001-2005: third collaborative study]. Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2010;28:706-9 pubmed publisher..Regular surveillance of drug resistance is recommended by the TB control programme in representative patient populations to optimize treatment regimens. ..
- Hemalatha R, Ramalaxmi B, Krishnaswetha G, Kumar P, Rao D, Balakrishna N, et al. Cervicovaginal inflammatory cytokines and sphingomyelinase in women with and without bacterial vaginosis. Am J Med Sci. 2012;344:35-9 pubmed publisher..These conditions are likely to be important in promoting the transmission of HIV-1 and should be the focus of HIV prevention strategies. ..
- de França T, de Albuquerque Tavares Carvalho A, Gomes V, Gueiros L, Porter S, Leao J. Salivary shedding of Epstein-Barr virus and cytomegalovirus in people infected or not by human immunodeficiency virus 1. Clin Oral Investig. 2012;16:659-64 pubmed publisher..544 and 60%, p?=?0.249, respectively). HIV-infected individuals and healthy controls showed a similar frequency of viral DNA detection. EBV DNA was significantly amplified in saliva of household members of HIV/EBV coinfected individuals. ..
- Landry M, Salit I, Rodrigues Coutlée C, Money D, Rebbapragada A, Tinmouth J, et al. Ano-genital human papillomavirus type 97 infection is detected in Canadian men but not women at risk or infected with the human immunodeficiency virus. Virol J. 2012;9:243 pubmed publisher..Four HPV97 variants were defined by four variation sites in the viral control region. These findings indicate that HPV97 infects in the anal canal of HIV-seropositive men but is not detected in the genital tract of women. ..
- Van Braeckel E, Bourguignon P, Koutsoukos M, Clement F, Janssens M, Carletti I, et al. An adjuvanted polyprotein HIV-1 vaccine induces polyfunctional cross-reactive CD4+ T cell responses in seronegative volunteers. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;52:522-31 pubmed publisher..nct00434512. ..
- Su R, Sivro A, Kimani J, Jaoko W, Plummer F, Ball T. Epigenetic control of IRF1 responses in HIV-exposed seronegative versus HIV-susceptible individuals. Blood. 2011;117:2649-57 pubmed publisher..These data suggest that transitory IRF1 responsiveness in HIV-R may be one of the key contributors to the altered susceptibility to HIV infection during the early stages of primary HIV infection. ..
- Giles M, Barak S, Baker G, Perna S, Tabrizi S, Greengrass V, et al. Outcomes from the first assisted reproduction program for HIV-serodiscordant couples in Australia. Med J Aust. 2011;195:599-601 pubmed
- Khosropour C, Johnson B, Ricca A, Sullivan P. Enhancing retention of an Internet-based cohort study of men who have sex with men (MSM) via text messaging: randomized controlled trial. J Med Internet Res. 2013;15:e194 pubmed publisher..Text message follow-up of an online cohort of MSM is feasible, and may result in higher retention among black MSM. ..
- Operario D, Nemoto T, Iwamoto M, Moore T. Unprotected sexual behavior and HIV risk in the context of primary partnerships for transgender women. AIDS Behav. 2011;15:674-82 pubmed publisher..Couples-focused interventions involving transgender women and their male primary partners can be particularly promising. ..
- Kresch Z, Espinosa Heidmann D, Harper T, Jamie Miller G. Disseminated Cryptococcus with ocular cryptococcoma in a human immunodeficiency virus-negative patient. Int Ophthalmol. 2012;32:281-4 pubmed publisher..After initial testing seemed consistent with sarcoidosis, he was found to have disseminated Cryptococcus with a cryptococcoma of the left eye. Treatment with systemic anti-fungal therapy improved the patient's condition. ..
- Black C, Foster Smith E, Lewis I, Faull R, Sidhu S. Post-transplant plasmablastic lymphoma of the skin. Australas J Dermatol. 2013;54:277-82 pubmed publisher..To date, 20 cases of PBL presenting in the skin have been reported. We review and compare the clinico-pathological features of these cases. ..
- Balaji A, Oster A, Viall A, Heffelfinger J, Mena L, Toledo C. Role flexing: how community, religion, and family shape the experiences of young black men who have sex with men. AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2012;26:730-7 pubmed publisher..Attention should also be paid to the role masculinity may play as a driver of the HIV epidemic among young black MSM and how this knowledge can be used to inform prevention efforts. ..
- Goncalves M, Ferreira A. Factors associated with length of hospital stay among HIV positive and HIV negative patients with tuberculosis in Brazil. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e60487 pubmed publisher..This finding corroborates other studies indicating the severity of tuberculosis in HIV patients, which may also contribute to lengthen their hospital stay. ..
- Li X, Jiang S, Zhang H, Jing K, Wang L, Li W, et al. Clinical and radiographic predictors in diagnosing sputum smear-negative pulmonary tuberculosis in HIV-negative patients: a cross-sectional study in China. Chin Med J (Engl). 2013;126:3662-7 pubmed..77 (95% CI 0.71-0.83). Four predictors of clinical and radiological characteristics that had a good diagnostic performance of SNPT deserve to be recommended as index indicators of SNPT diagnosis in county-level TB dispensaries in China. ..
- Fernández Dávila P, Lupianez Villanueva F, Zaragoza Lorca K. [Attitudes toward online HIV/sexually-transmitted infection prevention programs and Internet user profiles among men who have sex with men]. Gac Sanit. 2012;26:123-30 pubmed publisher..The internet can facilitate sexual health promotion among MSM. Characterization of user profiles offers the possibility of segmenting prevention programs and of combining online and offline strategies. ..
- Nithyanandam S, Joseph M, Stephen J. Ocular complications and loss of vision due to herpes zoster ophthalmicus in patients with HIV infection and a comparison with HIV-negative patients. Int J STD AIDS. 2013;24:106-9 pubmed publisher..Early institution of HZO antiviral therapy is recommended to reduce ocular complication and vision loss. ..