Summary: Agglutination of ERYTHROCYTES by a virus.
- Sata M, Nakano H, Tanaka E, Kumashiro R, Suzuki H, Tanikawa K. Analysis of serum hepatitis A virus antibody response in different courses of hepatitis A virus infection. J Gastroenterol. 1996;31:812-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that the maximum anti-HAV titer correlates with the clinical severity of HAV infection; knowledge of the antibody response should be useful for analyzing the pathogenesis of HAV infection. ..
- Fischer L, Tronel J, Pardo David C, Tanner P, Colombet G, Minke J, et al. Vaccination of puppies born to immune dams with a canine adenovirus-based vaccine protects against a canine distemper virus challenge. Vaccine. 2002;20:3485-97 pubmed..From a practical point of view, this could pave the way for an original strategy to vaccinate young puppies in the face of maternal-derived immunity...
- Paglini S. [Fractions from mouse brain which non-specifically inhibit the hemagglutination of various togaviruses]. Rev Argent Microbiol. 1983;15:73-81 pubmed..The biological property of inhibiting viral hemagglutination increased when the fractions were heated. EEE virus was used as hemagglutinating antigen...
- Fu Y, Feng Y, Dong H. [Study on characteristic of current measles wild-type strains after continuous passage from Vero cells]. Zhongguo Yi Miao He Mian Yi. 2010;16:20-4 pubmed..Only a few amino acid mutations within H protein could results in cell-recognition site alternative of measles epidemic strain after continuous culture in Vero cell line, and consequently affecting the infection of measles virus. ..
- Nam J, Chae S, Won S, Kim E, Yoon K, Kim B, et al. Short report: genetic heterogeneity of Japanese encephalitis virus assessed via analysis of the full-length genome sequence of a Korean isolate. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2001;65:388-92 pubmed..These findings suggest that Korean JEV K94P05 is genetically and antigenically distinct from other Asian JEV isolates. ..
- Superti F, Ammendolia M, Valenti P, Seganti L. Antirotaviral activity of milk proteins: lactoferrin prevents rotavirus infection in the enterocyte-like cell line HT-29. Med Microbiol Immunol. 1997;186:83-91 pubmed
- Hachinohe S, Sugawara K, Nishimura H, Kitame F, Nakamura K. Effect of anti-haemagglutinin-esterase glycoprotein monoclonal antibodies on the receptor-destroying activity of influenza C virus. J Gen Virol. 1989;70 ( Pt 5):1287-92 pubmed
- Narita M, Kawamura H, Haritani M, Kobayashi M. Demonstration of viral antigen and immunoglobulin (IgG and IgM) in brain tissue of pigs experimentally infected with haemagglutinating encephalomyelitis virus. J Comp Pathol. 1989;100:119-28 pubmed..They appeared at first on PID 7 and after that increased in number. These findings suggest that these encephalitic lesions are a specific immune response to HEV following its multiplication in the central nervous system. ..
- Wang S, Huang J, Lee Y, Liu S, Chan Y, Chau Y, et al. DC-SIGN mediates avian H5N1 influenza virus infection in cis and in trans. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2008;373:561-6 pubmed publisher..In summary, (a) DC-SIGN acts as a capture or attachment molecule for avian H5N1 virus, and (b) DC-SIGN mediates infections in cis and in trans. ..
- Xuan X, Horimoto T, Limcumpao J, Nemoto K, Tohya Y, Azetaka M, et al. Canine herpesvirus 47 kD and mutated 41 kD glycoproteins are responsible for hemagglutination. Nihon Juigaku Zasshi. 1990;52:899-905 pubmed..The inhibition of viral hemagglutination (HA) activity was observed with MoAbs against 41 kD glycoprotein, while no hemagglutination-inhibition (HI)..
- Ohyama K, Nishina M, Yuan B, Bessho T, Yamakawa T. Apoptosis induced by influenza virus-hemagglutinin stimulation may be related to fluctuation of cellular oxidative condition. Biol Pharm Bull. 2003;26:141-7 pubmed..It is concluded that IV-HA induces apoptosis in Amnion-cells, and that this apoptotic induction may be facilitated by certain sialoglycoproteins on the cell surface, and is related to changes in the intracellular redox condition. ..
- Vodeiko G, McInnis J, Chizhikov V, Levandowski R. Genetic and phenotypic analysis of reassortants of high growth and low growth strains of influenza B virus. Vaccine. 2003;21:3867-74 pubmed..The studies identify multiple genes that may affect growth of influenza B viruses in eggs. ..
- Stewart M, Bonne N, Shearer P, Khalesi B, Sharp M, Raidal S. Baculovirus expression of beak and feather disease virus (BFDV) capsid protein capable of self-assembly and haemagglutination. J Virol Methods. 2007;141:181-7 pubmed..BFDV VLPs were also a suitable replacement antigen for serological detection of BFDV antibody by HI. ..
- Job E, Deng Y, Tate M, Bottazzi B, Crouch E, Dean M, et al. Pandemic H1N1 influenza A viruses are resistant to the antiviral activities of innate immune proteins of the collectin and pentraxin superfamilies. J Immunol. 2010;185:4284-91 pubmed publisher..Thus, unlike recent seasonal H1N1 strains of influenza virus, A(H1N1) pandemic viruses are resistant to the antiviral activities of innate immune proteins of the collectin superfamily. ..
- Vojvodic S. [Inhibitory activity of blood group antigens M and N in inhibition of virus hemagglutination reactions of influenza viruses]. Med Pregl. 2000;53:7-14 pubmedM and N blood group antigens demonstrate inhibitory activity in inhibition reaction of viral hemagglutination with some influenza virus strains, with help of N-acetylneuraminic acid (sialic acid) which occurs in glycophorins on the red ..
- Horvath E, Czifra G, Nagy E, Engstrom B, Merza M. Potency test of inactivated Newcastle disease vaccines by monoclonal antibody blocking ELISA. Vaccine. 1999;17:2969-73 pubmed..Based upon the results obtained, this B-ELISA seems to be suitable for replacing the challenge test in the potency control of inactivated ND vaccines in the future. ..
- Honma H, Ushijimma H, Takagi M, Kitamiura T. Evaluation of a new enzyme immunoassay (TESTPACK ROTAVIRUS) for diagnosis of viral gastroenteritis. Kansenshogaku Zasshi. 1990;64:174-8 pubmed..Discordant results of RPHA were further examined by latex agglutination and electron microscopy and were finally decided to be negative. Pararotaviruses, adenoviruses and small round viruses were negative in the TESTPACK ROTAVIRUS. ..
- Workenhe S, Kibenge M, Wright G, Wadowska D, Groman D, Kibenge F. Infectious salmon anaemia virus replication and induction of alpha interferon in Atlantic salmon erythrocytes. Virol J. 2008;5:36 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the study shows for the first time that fish erythrocytes immunologically respond to ISAV infection. ..
- Madhusudana S, Shamsundar R, Saraswati S. A passive haemagglutination test for rabies antibodies using rabies glycoprotein coupled erythrocytes. J Commun Dis. 2003;35:24-31 pubmed..It may also assist in rapid laboratory confirmation of paralytic rabies cases, based on detection of antibodies in CSF and serum. ..
- Durand M. [H5N1: vaccine solutions for humans and other animals]. Bull Acad Natl Med. 2006;190:963-72 pubmed..A live vaccine based on an adenovirus coupled to the H5 gene was recently developed. Finally, Chinese authors are examining the preventive and curative potential of hyperimmune serum raised in animals. ..
- Zenteno Cuevas R, Huerta Yepez S, Reyes Leyva J, Hernández Jáuregui P, Gonzalez Bonilla C, Ramírez Mendoza H, et al. Identification of potential B cell epitope determinants by computer techniques, in hemagglutinin-neuraminidase from the porcine rubulavirus La Piedad Michoacan. Viral Immunol. 2007;20:250-60 pubmed..These results suggest that HN-A and HN-B are peptides involved in RvpLPM cell carbohydrate recognition, and could therefore be considered potential targets for vaccine and diagnostic procedures development...
- Nishimura H, Hongo S, Sugawara K, Muraki Y, Kitame F, Washioka H, et al. The ability of influenza C virus to generate cord-like structures is influenced by the gene coding for M protein. Virology. 1994;200:140-7 pubmed..Nucleotide sequence analysis of the M genes revealed that compared to C/Yamagata/1/88, C/Taylor/1233/47 had two amino acid substitutions in the M molecule at positions 24 (Ala-->Thr) and 133 (Asp-->Asn). ..
- Artsob H, Spence L, Brodeur B, Th ng C. Monoclonal antibody characterization of Jamestown Canyon (California serogroup) virus topotypes isolated in Canada. Viral Immunol. 1992;5:233-42 pubmed..The MAbs verified all Canadian topotypes to be JC virus but revealed different patterns of reactivity between these topotypes and prototype JC virus. ..
- Park J, Cruz D, Shin H. Trypsin-induced hemagglutination activity of porcine epidemic diarrhea virus. Arch Virol. 2010;155:595-9 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that the HA activity of PEDV is most likely caused by proteolytic action on it, which could be developed as a new diagnostic method to rapidly detect and differentiate PEDV infections from other enteric diseases. ..
- Saito T, Lim W, Suzuki T, Suzuki Y, Kida H, Nishimura S, et al. Characterization of a human H9N2 influenza virus isolated in Hong Kong. Vaccine. 2001;20:125-33 pubmed..Together with data so far available, the present study suggested that isolation of the H9 influenza viruses from humans requires precaution against the emergence of a novel human influenza. ..
- Mann L, Anderson K, Luo M, Bond C. Molecular and structural basis of hemagglutination in mengovirus. Virology. 1992;190:337-45 pubmed..Eleven amino acid differences were observed between the structural proteins of mengovirus-M and 37A, five in VP1, three in VP2, and three in VP3. ..
- Ivanova V, Matiushina R, Slepushkin A, Burtseva E, Oskerko T, Shevchenko E, et al. [Epidemic strains influenza viruses A and B in the 2005-2006 season in Russia]. Vopr Virusol. 2008;53:13-8 pubmed..9-33.3 and 20.7-23.8% of cases, respectively. There was an increase in antibodies to influenza viruses A and B in the sera collected from donors in Moscow and its region in September 2005 to June 2006. ..
- Seiler M, Miller A, Zabner J, Halbert C. Adeno-associated virus types 5 and 6 use distinct receptors for cell entry. Hum Gene Ther. 2006;17:10-9 pubmed
- Hogenkamp A, Isohadouten N, Reemers S, Romijn R, Hemrika W, White M, et al. Chicken lung lectin is a functional C-type lectin and inhibits haemagglutination by influenza A virus. Vet Microbiol. 2008;130:37-46 pubmed publisher..These result show that cLL is a true C-type lectin with a very distinct sugar specificity, and that this chicken lectin could play an important role in innate immunity. ..
- Tian L, Liao J, Li J, Zhou W, Zhang X, Wang H. Isolation and identification of a non-haemagglutinating strain of rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus from China and sequence analysis for the VP60 Gene. Virus Genes. 2007;35:745-52 pubmed
- Lin J, Zhang J, Dong X, Fang H, Chen J, Su N, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of an inactivated adjuvanted whole-virion influenza A (H5N1) vaccine: a phase I randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2006;368:991-7 pubmed..The use of a whole virion vaccine could be more adaptable to the antigen-sparing strategy recommended by WHO for protection against an influenza pandemic. ..
- Sanada N, Sanada Y. The sensitivities of various erythrocytes in a haemagglutination assay for the detection of psittacine beak and feather disease virus. J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health. 2000;47:441-3 pubmed..This suggests that selection of suitable psittacine species as well as suitable individuals within a species is necessary when obtaining erythrocytes for the PBFD virus HA assay...
- Eckels K, Summers P, Dubois D. Hepatitis A virus hemagglutination and a test for hemagglutination inhibition antibodies. J Clin Microbiol. 1989;27:1375-6 pubmed..HAV-specific antibodies in both acute- and convalescent-phase sera were found to inhibit hemagglutination. The HAV hemagglutination inhibition test can be used for diagnosis, epidemiological surveillance, and vaccine assessment. ..
- Rocha Zavaleta L, Barrios T, Garcia Carranca A, Valdespino V, Cruz Talonia F. Cervical secretory immunoglobulin A to human papillomavirus type 16 (HPV16) from HPV16-infected women inhibit HPV16 virus-like particles-induced hemagglutination of mouse red blood cells. FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol. 2001;31:47-51 pubmed..001). In conclusion, naturally occurring cervical anti-HPV16 sIgA binds to and hinders conformational epitopes on the viral capsid, suggesting that these antibodies might have a neutralizing capacity. ..
- Baigent S, Bethell R, McCauley J. Genetic analysis reveals that both haemagglutinin and neuraminidase determine the sensitivity of naturally occurring avian influenza viruses to zanamivir in vitro. Virology. 1999;263:323-38 pubmed..Decreased sensitivity to zanamivir was associated with possession of a haemagglutinin that is released from cells with decreased dependence on neuraminidase and with possession of a neuraminidase that has a short stalk region. ..
- Murakawa Y, Sakaguchi M, Soejima K, Eriguchi S, Takase K, Sueyoshi M, et al. Haemagglutinating activity of the lentogenic Newcastle disease virus strain MET95. Avian Pathol. 2003;32:39-45 pubmed..It is suggested that these two substitutions might relate to the unique HA activity of the MET95 strain. This HA activity may be a useful marker for this strain. ..
- Stephenson I, Wood J, Nicholson K, Zambon M. Sialic acid receptor specificity on erythrocytes affects detection of antibody to avian influenza haemagglutinin. J Med Virol. 2003;70:391-8 pubmed
- Medeiros R, Naffakh N, Manuguerra J, Van Der Werf S. Binding of the hemagglutinin from human or equine influenza H3 viruses to the receptor is altered by substitutions at residue 193. Arch Virol. 2004;149:1663-71 pubmed..Moreover, when combined with the L194I substitution, the S193R substitution induced binding of the human H3 to NeuAcalpha2,3Gal. ..
- Bauer K, Schrader C, Suess J, Wutzler P, Schmidtke M. Neuraminidase inhibitor susceptibility of porcine H3N2 influenza A viruses isolated in Germany between 1982 and 1999. Antiviral Res. 2007;75:219-26 pubmed..Higher concentrations were necessary to reduce the plaque number. Two isolates that differed in glycosylation pattern of viral hemagglutinin (HA) showed markedly reduced drug susceptibility in cell culture-based assays. ..
- Campagnolo E, Ernst M, Berninger M, Gregg D, Shumaker T, Boghossian A. Outbreak of rabbit hemorrhagic disease in domestic lagomorphs. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2003;223:1151-5, 1128 pubmed..The economic impact of the disease can be considerable; if the disease is suspected, it is imperative that the appropriate state or federal veterinarian's office be contacted immediately. ..
- Jusa E, Inaba Y. Salt- and pH-dependent hemagglutination with Kasba virus, a member of the Palyam serogroup of the genus Orbivirus. J Basic Microbiol. 1995;35:315-8 pubmed..6 M and standardizing pH to 7.5. The HA titer was 16- or 32-fold higher in 0.4 M or 0.6 M solution than in 0.2 M solution of not only NaCl but also several other salts. The HA reaction was inhibited by specific antibody. ..
- Marra A, Moni L, Pazzi D, Corallini A, Bridi D, Dondoni A. Synthesis of sialoclusters appended to calixarene platforms via multiple azide-alkyne cycloaddition. New inhibitors of hemagglutination and cytopathic effect mediated by BK and influenza A viruses. Org Biomol Chem. 2008;6:1396-409 pubmed publisher..In fact, they were able to inhibit, at submillimolar concentrations, the hemagglutination and the viral infectivity mediated both by BK and influenza A viruses. ..
- Nagy E, Derbyshire J, Dobos P, Krell P. Cloning and expression of NDV hemagglutinin-neuraminidase cDNA in a baculovirus expression vector system. Virology. 1990;176:426-38 pubmed..HN was copurified with extracellular virus (ECV) from the extracellular medium and was used to immunize chickens. The anti recHN serum was specific to NDV in both ELISA and Western blot analysis. ..
- Bresson J, Perronne C, Launay O, Gerdil C, Saville M, Wood J, et al. Safety and immunogenicity of an inactivated split-virion influenza A/Vietnam/1194/2004 (H5N1) vaccine: phase I randomised trial. Lancet. 2006;367:1657-64 pubmed..We noted encouraging responses with lower doses of antigen that need further study to ascertain their relevance for the choice of the final pandemic vaccine. ..
- Kondiah K, Albertyn J, Bragg R. Beak and feather disease virus haemagglutinating activity using erythrocytes from African Grey parrots and Brown-headed parrots. Onderstepoort J Vet Res. 2005;72:263-5 pubmed..The HA activity was further confirmed by the demonstration of HI using BFDV antiserum from three different African Grey parrots previously exposed to the virus and not showing clinical signs of the disease. ..
- Groene W, Shaw R. Psoralen preparation of antigenically intact noninfectious rotavirus particles. J Virol Methods. 1992;38:93-102 pubmed..The lack of viral replication following inactivation was determined with an immunohistochemical focus assay. The antigenic authenticity of the particles was determined by monoclonal antibody ELISA and a viral hemagglutination assay.
- Itamura S, Morikawa Y, Shida H, Nerome K, Oya A. Biological and immunological characterization of influenza virus haemagglutinin expressed from the haemagglutinin locus of vaccinia virus. J Gen Virol. 1990;71 ( Pt 6):1293-301 pubmed..These findings demonstrate the usefulness of this eukaryotic vector system. ..
- Luther P, Cushley W, Holzer C, Desselberger U, Oxford J. Acetylated galactosamine is a receptor for the influenza C virus glycoprotein. Arch Virol. 1988;101:247-54 pubmed
- Pring Akerblom P, Heim A, Trijssenaar F. Molecular characterization of hemagglutination domains on the fibers of subgenus D adenoviruses. J Virol. 1998;72:2297-304 pubmed..The domains involved in the agglutination of human erythrocytes are located on the CD and HI loops of the subgenus DI fiber knob. ..
- Borraz Argüello M, Santos López G, Vallejo Ruiz V, Herrera Camacho I, Reyes Leyva J. [Biological characterization of three natural isolates of the porcine rubulavirus (Mexico)]. Rev Biol Trop. 2008;56:487-99 pubmed..Our data suggest that NA activity is associated with the virulence of RVP...
- El Tayeb A, Hanson R. interactions between escherichia coli and Newcastle disease virus in chickens. Avian Dis. 2002;46:660-7 pubmed..In approximately 10% of the fields in NDV-infected monolayers, the bacteria were too numerous to count. ..
- Fulop T, Wagner J, Khalil A, Weber J, Trottier L, Payette H. Relationship between the response to influenza vaccination and the nutritional status in institutionalized elderly subjects. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 1999;54:M59-64 pubmed..These results will help design intervention studies for improving the immune response by achieving an optimal nutritional status, mainly in the frail elderly population, that could have a great public health impact. ..