Genomes and Genes
Summary: A monotheistic religion promulgated by the Prophet Mohammed with Allah as the deity.
Publications335 found, 100 shown here
- Recommendations for management of diabetes during RamadanMonira Al-Arouj
Ministry of Health, Amiri Hospital, Rawda, Kuwait
Diabetes Care 28:2305-11. 2005
- The changes of metabolic profile and weight during Ramadan fastingV Ziaee
Islamic Medicine Research Centre, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Singapore Med J 47:409-14. 2006..Ramadan is the holiest month in the Islamic calendar and Muslims fast during this month. We designed this study to evaluate the effect of Ramadan fasting on plasma lipids and lipoproteins...
- Does Ramadan fasting affect sleep?A Bahammam
Sleep Disorders Center, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Int J Clin Pract 60:1631-7. 2006..Where applicable, these findings are compared with those obtained during experimental fasting...
- Vildagliptin therapy and hypoglycaemia in Muslim type 2 diabetes patients during RamadanD Devendra
NHS Brent, London, UK
Int J Clin Pract 63:1446-50. 2009..To compare hypoglycaemic events, glycated haemoglobin (HbA(1c)) and changes in bodyweight in metformin-treated Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes receiving adjunctive treatment with vildagliptin or gliclazide during Ramadan fasting...
- Repaglinide versus glibenclamide treatment of Type 2 diabetes during Ramadan fastingM Mafauzy
School of Medical Science, University Sains Malaysia, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 58:45-53. 2002..Type 2 diabetic Muslims using prandial repaglinide showed a trend towards better glycaemic control and had a lower frequency of hypoglycaemia than patients using glibenclamide during Ramadan...
- Responses to exercise, fluid, and energy balances during Ramadan in sedentary and active malesJ Ramadan
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat
Nutrition 15:735-9. 1999..Body fluid balance was better maintained in active than in sedentary subjects...
- Does fasting during Ramadan alter body composition, blood constituents and physical performance?J Ramadan
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 11:41-6. 2002..To study the effect of Ramadan fast (RF) on body composition, plasma constituents, hematology, and cardiorespiratory responses to constant submaximal exercise...
- [Orf in urban surroundings and religious practices: a study over a 3-year period]P D Ghislain
Service de Dermatologie, CH François Rabelais, Bruxelles, Belgique
Ann Dermatol Venereol 128:889-92. 2001..This generally occurs during professional activities. In our clinic, located in the heart of Brussels, we were surprised by the number of orf cases encountered each year, grouped during a short three-week period...
- A quantitative survey of Western Muslim attitudes to solid organ donationAdnan Sharif
Department of Nephrology and Transplantation, Renal Institute of Birmingham, Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, United Kingdom
Transplantation 92:1108-14. 2011..It is imperative for healthcare providers to examine Western Muslim attitudes on organ donation, because they are reluctant donors. We explored such opinion with the aid of a quantitative survey...
- The terminally ill Muslim: death and dying from the Muslim perspectiveN Sarhill
Department of Internal Medicine, St. Vincent Charity Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Am J Hosp Palliat Care 18:251-5. 2001b>Islam holds life as sacred and belonging to God and that all creatures will die one day. Suicide is forbidden. Muslims believe death is only a transition between two different lives...
- Effects of fed- versus fasted-state aerobic training during Ramadan on body composition and some metabolic parameters in physically active menKhaled Trabelsi
Laboratory of Pharmacology, University of Sfax, Sfax, Tunisia
Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab 22:11-8. 2012..In contrast, fed aerobic training decreases only body weight. In addition, Ramadan fasting induced change in some metabolic parameters in FAST, but these changes were absent in FED...
- Religious and cultural distance in beliefs about health and illness in women with diabetes mellitus of different origin living in SwedenKatarina Hjelm
Department of Community Medicine, University of Lund, Sweden
Int J Nurs Stud 40:627-43. 2003..Cultural and religious distance are essential for understanding self-care practice and care-seeking behaviour, and need to be considered in the planning of diabetes care...
- Effects of Ramadan intermittent fasting on sports performance and training: a reviewAnis Chaouachi
Research Unit Evaluation, Sport, Health, National Centre of Medicine and Science in Sport, Tunis, Tunisia
Int J Sports Physiol Perform 4:419-34. 2009....
- The effects of diet, sulfonylurea, and Repaglinide therapy on clinical and metabolic parameters in type 2 diabetic patients during RamadanRamazan Sari
Department of Endocrinology, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, School of Medicine, University of Akdeniz, Antalya, Turkey
Endocr Res 30:169-77. 2004..Diabetes and its treatment can cause problems for the Muslim population. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of different therapy models on clinical and metabolic status in type 2 diabetic patients during Ramadan...
- Hajj-associated outbreak strain of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W135: estimates of the attack rate in a defined population and the risk of invasive disease developing in carriersAnnelies Wilder-Smith
Travellers Health and Vaccination Centre, Dept of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433
Clin Infect Dis 36:679-83. 2003..Public health policies to protect household contacts of Hajj pilgrims need to be implemented...
- Outbreak of serogroup W135 meningococcal disease after the Hajj pilgrimage, Europe, 2000Jean Francois Aguilera
Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre, London, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 8:761-7. 2002..No difference in transmission rates following intervention was detected between France and the UK...
- The meanings of organ donation: Muslims of Pakistani origin and white English nationals living in North EnglandClare Hayward
Academic Unit of Psychiatry, 15 Hyde Terrace, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Soc Sci Med 57:389-401. 2003..We conclude that the meaning of organ donation is more than about being and having a body. It is bound up in metaphors of embodiment, religious considerations, and moral judgement of scientific and medical conduct...
- Effects of Ramadan fasting on biochemical and hematological parameters and cytokines in healthy and obese individualsMurat Unalacak
Medical Faculty, Department of Family Medicine, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Eskisehir, Turkey
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 9:157-61. 2011..We aimed to investigate the effects of Ramadan fasting on biochemical and hematological parameters and cytokines in healthy and obese individuals...
- Comparison of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor vildagliptin and the sulphonylurea gliclazide in combination with metformin, in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus fasting during Ramadan: results of the VECTOR studyMohamed Hassanein
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, Rhyl, UK
Curr Med Res Opin 27:1367-74. 2011..To compare the incidence of hypoglycaemic events (HEs) in a real-world setting in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus fasting during Ramadan...
- Islamic fasting and healthFereidoun Azizi
Research Institute for Endocrine Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran azizi endocrine ac ir
Ann Nutr Metab 56:273-82. 2010..The duration of fasting varies from 13 to 18 h/day. Fasting includes avoidance of drinking liquids and eating foods. The aim of this article is to review health-related aspects of Ramadan fasting...
- Comparison of mortality and morbidity rates among Iranian pilgrims in Hajj 2004 and 2005Alipasha Meysamie
Community Medicine Department, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Saudi Med J 27:1049-53. 2006..We compared the incidence of common diseases and accidents among Iranian pilgrims during Hajj 2004 and 2005, and determined the factors affecting the prevalence of each disease...
- 'They say Islam has a solution for everything, so why are there no guidelines for this?' Ethical dilemmas associated with the births and deaths of infants with fatal abnormalities from a small sample of Pakistani Muslim couples in BritainAlison Shaw
Department of Public Health, University of Oxford
Bioethics 26:485-92. 2012..There was little knowledge or open discussion of the view that Islam permits the termination of pregnancy for serious or fatal abnormality within 120 days and there was considerable ..
- Islamic perspective on human cloning and stem cell researchB Larijani
Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Transplant Proc 36:3188-9. 2004..The majority of Muslim jurists distinguish between reproductive and therapeutic cloning. The moral status of the human embryo, the most sensitive and disputed point in this debate, is also discussed according to Holy Quran teachings...
- The incidence of hypoglycaemia in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes treated with sitagliptin or a sulphonylurea during Ramadan: a randomised trialS Al Sifri
Al Hada Military Hospital, Taif, Saudi Arabia
Int J Clin Pract 65:1132-40. 2011..To compare the incidence of symptomatic hypoglycaemia in fasting Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes treated with sitagliptin or a sulphonylurea during Ramadan...
- Islamic medical ethics: a primerAasim I Padela
Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Rochester Medical Center, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Bioethics 21:169-78. 2007..It is hoped that the insights gained will aid both clinicians and ethicists to better understand the Islamic paradigm of medical ethics and thereby positively affect patient care...
- High risk of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection during the Hajj pilgrimageAnnelies Wilder-Smith
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
Trop Med Int Health 10:336-9. 2005..We conducted a prospective study to assess the risk of M. tuberculosis infection among Hajj pilgrims...
- Brain death revisited: it is not 'complete death' according to Islamic sourcesAhmet Bedir
Harran University, Faculty of Divinity, Department of Tafsîr Islamic Exegesis, Sanliurfa, Turkey
J Med Ethics 37:290-4. 2011..According to Islam, the entity that moves the body is named the soul. And the aliment of the soul is air...
- "He won't be my son": Middle Eastern Muslim men's discourses of adoption and gamete donationMarcia C Inhorn
Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies, Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, University of Michigan, USA
Med Anthropol Q 20:94-120. 2006....
- Interactions between leptin, neuropeptide-Y and insulin with chronic diurnal fasting during RamadanSalah Kassab
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine and Medical Sciences, Arabian Gulf University, Manama, Bahrain
Ann Saudi Med 24:345-9. 2004..However, the long-term changes and interactions between these factors during this pattern of fasting are not known...
- [Food intake, and anthropometrical and biological parameters in adult Tunisians during fasting at Ramadan]L Beltaifa
Institut National de Nutrition, Tunis, Tunisie
East Mediterr Health J 8:603-11. 2002..Thus fasting in Ramadan did not affect dietary intake, clinical, anthropometrical and most biological parameters...
- The interaction between physical activity and fasting on the serum lipid profile during RamadanA A Haghdoost
Physiology Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Jomhoori Islamic Boulevard, Kerman 7618747653, Iran
Singapore Med J 50:897-901. 2009..In this study, we compared the patterns of the lipid profile changes in those who engaged in regular physical activity with those who did not...
- Acquisition of W135 meningococcal carriage in Hajj pilgrims and transmission to household contacts: prospective studyAnnelies Wilder-Smith
Travellers Health and Vaccination Centre, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433
BMJ 325:365-6. 2002
- Hypoglycaemia in sulphonylurea-treated subjects with type 2 diabetes undergoing Ramadan fasting: a five-country observational studyS R Aravind
Diacon Hospital, Diabetes Care and Research Centre, Bangalore, India
Curr Med Res Opin 27:1237-42. 2011..To determine the incidence of hypoglycaemia during Ramadan in Muslim subjects with type 2 diabetes treated with a sulphonylurea...
- Effect of Ramadan fasting on some indices of insulin resistance and components of the metabolic syndrome in healthy male adultsZ Vahdat Shariatpanahi
Faculty of Nutrition and Food Industry, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Br J Nutr 100:147-51. 2008....
- Effects of fasting and a medium calorie balanced diet during the holy month Ramadan on weight, BMI and some blood parameters of overweight malesM Salehi
School of Health, P O Box 111, Postcode 71645, Shiraz, Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 10:968-71. 2007..Conversely, no significant changes in serum levels of triglyceride were noted...
- Effects of intermittent fasting on serum lipid levels, coagulation status and plasma homocysteine levelsFehime Benli Aksungar
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Maltepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Nutr Metab 49:77-82. 2005..Many physiological and psychological changes are observed during Ramadan that are probably due to the changes in eating and sleeping patterns...
- Does hospitalization for congestive heart failure occur more frequently in Ramadan: a population-based study (1991-2001)J Al Suwaidi
Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hamad Medical Corporation and Hamad General Hospital, P O Box 3050 Doha, State of Qatar
Int J Cardiol 96:217-21. 2004..Our objective in this study is to investigate whether Ramadan fasting has any effect on the number of hospitalization for congestive heart failure (CHF) in a geographically defined population...
- Influence of Islam on smoking among MuslimsNazim Ghouri
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU
BMJ 332:291-4. 2006
- The effect of time-of-day and Ramadan fasting on anaerobic performancesH Chtourou
Research Laboratory Sports Performance Optimization, National Center of Medicine and Science in Sports CNMSS, Tunis, Tunisia
Int J Sports Med 33:142-7. 2012..These results suggest that Ramadan might modify the circadian rhythm of muscle power and fatigue during the Wingate test by decreasing power output and increasing muscle fatigue at the time of the acrophase...
- Islam and informed consent: notes from DohaPablo Rodriguez Del Pozo
Division of Medical Ethics, Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar
Camb Q Healthc Ethics 17:273-9. 2008
- Therapeutic abortion in Islam: contemporary views of Muslim Shiite scholars and effect of recent Iranian legislationK M Hedayat
Sutton Children s Hospital at Christus Schumpert Hospital, Shreveport, Louisiana, USA
J Med Ethics 32:652-7. 2006..Recent measures in Iran provide an opportunity for the Muslim scholars in other countries to review their traditional stance on abortion...
- The effect of fasting month of Ramadan on the abdominal fat distribution: assessment by computed tomographyAylin Yucel
Department of Radiology, Afyon Kocatepe University School of Medicine, 03200 Afyon, Turkey
Tohoku J Exp Med 204:179-87. 2004..However in female and young individuals, there was a reduction in visceral fat compartment. This could be due to fat redistribution, because they have more physical activity than males and older individuals...
- 'Fasting and prayer don't concern the doctors ... they don't even know what it is': communication, decision-making and perceived social relations of Pakistani Muslim patients with long-term illnessesGhazala Mir
Centre for Health and Social Care, Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Ethn Health 15:327-42. 2010..We sought to explore the impact of religious identity and beliefs on self-management of long-term conditions, on patient-professional communication and decision-making and health inequalities within Pakistani Muslim communities...
- A population-based study of diabetes and its characteristics during the fasting month of Ramadan in 13 countries: results of the epidemiology of diabetes and Ramadan 1422/2001 (EPIDIAR) studyIbrahim Salti
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Diabetes Care 27:2306-11. 2004..The aim of this study was to assess the characteristics and care of patients with diabetes in countries with a sizable Muslim population and to study diabetes features during Ramadan and the effect of fasting...
- Does the circadian pattern for acute cardiac events presentation vary with fasting?J Al Suwaidi
Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Doha, Qatar
J Postgrad Med 52:30-3; discussion 33-4. 2006..Over one billion Muslims fast worldwide during the month of Ramadan. The impact of fasting on circadian presentation with acute cardiac events is unknown...
- Unexpected changes in blood pressure and hematological parameters among fasting and nonfasting workers during Ramadan in IndonesiaL Dewanti
Department of Human Ecology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Clin Nutr 60:877-81. 2006..To examine the effect of Ramadan fasting on basic hematological parameters, in addition to the effects on body weight and blood pressure of fasters and nonfasters...
- The effect of Ramadan fasting on fasting serum glucose in healthy adultsB Larijani
Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Center EMRC, Fifth Floor, Doctor Shariati Hospital, North Kargar Avenue, Tehran 14114, Iran
Med J Malaysia 58:678-80. 2003..Calorie intake decreased in all groups (p < 0.001) and was positively correlated with decreasing FPG. FPG decreases with Ramadan fasting and has no serious adverse effect on fasting adults...
- Food intake and high density lipoprotein cholesterol levels changes during ramadan fasting in healthy young subjectsFaiza Lamine
Service d endocrinologie, Métabolisme et Nutrition, Hôpital de Jour Institut National de Nutrition Tunis
Tunis Med 84:647-50. 2006..02). This increase was lost after Ramadan. Fasting Ramadan affects beneficially serum lipoprotein metabolism in young adult healthy subjects with an increase of HDL-cholesterol...
- Haematological, inflammatory, and immunological responses in elite judo athletes maintaining high training loads during RamadanAnis Chaouachi
Research Unit Evaluation, Sport, Health, National Center of Medicine and Science in Sports CNMSS, Tunis, Tunisia
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 34:907-15. 2009..These results suggest that athletes who continue to train intensely during Ramadan are liable to experience a myriad of small fluctuations in hormones, immunoglobulins, antioxidants, and inflammatory responses...
- Dietary intake and body composition of football players during the holy month of RamadanRonald J Maughan
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK
J Sports Sci 26:S29-38. 2008..After Ramadan, the dietary variables reverted to the pre-Ramadan values...
- The influence of faith and religion and the role of religious and community leaders in prenatal decisions for sickle cell disorders and thalassaemia majorShenaz Ahmed
Academic Unit of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Prenat Diagn 26:801-9. 2006....
- The relation between short-term oral contraceptive consumption and cerebrovascular, cardiovascular disorders in Iranian women attending HajjMohmoud R Azarpazhooh
Department of Neurology, Ghaem Medical Center, Mashhad University of Medical Science, Mashhad, Iran
Saudi Med J 29:1024-7. 2008..To evaluate the spectrum of probable vascular complications due to short-term oral contraceptives OC consumption...
- Wife battery in Islam: a comprehensive understanding of interpretationsNawal H Ammar
University of Ontario Institute of Technology, Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Violence Against Women 13:516-26. 2007..This review of the range of Islamic interpretations regarding wife beating provides an educational tool for advocates, attorneys, and service providers working with immigrant Muslim women in the United States...
- Ethical and legal aspects of stem cell practices in Turkey: where are we?H Ozturk Turkmen
Deontology Department, Ankara University School of Medicine, Morphology Campus, Deontology Department, Sihhiye Ankara, Turkey
J Med Ethics 34:833-7. 2008....
- Emerging HIV epidemics in Muslim countries: assessment of different cultural responses to harm reduction and implications for HIV controlCatherine S Todd
Division of International Health and Cross Cultural Medicine, University of California, San Diego, 9500 Gilman Drive, Mailstop 0622, La Jolla, CA 92093 0622, USA
Curr HIV/AIDS Rep 4:151-7. 2007..Although use of intoxicants is expressly forbidden within Islam, the local culture impacts the interpretation of Islamic law and influences the response to drug misuse, whether ..
- Human embryonic stem cell research: an intercultural perspectiveLeRoy Walters
Kennedy Institute of Ethics, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 14:3-38. 2004..In several instances the religious traditions seem to have influenced the public-policy debates...
- A high-volume heart transplantation center in an Islamic countryCharles C Canver
King Faisal Heart Institute, King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann 19:244-8. 2011..Actuarial survival was 87.4% at 1 year and 81.5% at 3 years. A hospital in a Muslim country can increase cardiac transplant activity with excellent 30-day mortality and early survival comparable to that in worldwide counterparts...
- UK Muslim graduates need more information about organ donation and transplantMuhammad Aslam
Transpl Int 21:92-3. 2008
- Abortion and Islam: policies and practice in the Middle East and North AfricaLeila Hessini
Reprod Health Matters 15:75-84. 2007..Reform efforts, including progressive interpretations of Islam, have resulted in laws allowing for early abortion on request in two countries; six others permit abortion on ..
- An Islamic view to stem cell research and cloning: Iran's experienceKiarash Aramesh
Medical Ethics and History of Medicine Research Center, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Am J Bioeth 7:62-3. 2007
- Causes of admission to intensive care units in the Hajj period of the Islamic year 1424 (2004)Tariq A Madani
Department of Medicine, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah 21589, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 27:101-5. 2007..We describe the pattern of diseases, complications, and outcome of pilgrims who required admission to intensive care units (ICUs) during the Hajj period of the Islamic year 1424 (2004)...
- An analysis of suicide and undetermined deaths in 17 predominantly Islamic countries contrasted with the UKColin Pritchard
Institute of Health and Community Studies, Bournemouth University, UK
Psychol Med 37:421-30. 2007..It has been suggested that to avoid under-reporting of suicides, both formal suicide verdicts and OVD should be considered together because OVD may contain 'hidden' suicides...
- Violence against women in Arab and Islamic countriesS Douki
Faculty of Medicine of Tunis, Tunis, Tunisia
Arch Womens Ment Health 6:165-71. 2003..However, a fair reading of the Koran shows that wife abuse, like genital mutilation and "honour killings" are a result of culture rather than religion...
- Pattern of medical diseases and determinants of prognosis of hospitalization during 2005 Muslim pilgrimage Hajj in a tertiary care hospital. A prospective cohort studyNasim A Khan
Department of Medicine, Al Noor Specialist Hospital, Makkah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 27:1373-80. 2006..To document the pattern of medical diseases necessitating admission in a tertiary care hospital during Muslim pilgrimage (Hajj). To assess the risk factors associated with mortality during hospitalization...
- Organ transplantation: a Sunni Islamic perspectiveMohammed Albar
International Medical Center, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 23:817-22. 2012..In Amman, Jordan, the International Islamic Jurist Council recognized brain-death as a recognized sign of death in Islam in October 1986...
- Third-party reproductive assistance around the Mediterranean: comparing Sunni Egypt, Catholic Italy and multisectarian LebanonMarcia C Inhorn
Anthropology Department, Yale University, 10 Sachem Street, New Haven, CT 06511, USA
Reprod Biomed Online 21:848-53. 2010..Such comparisons point to the need for understanding the complex interactions between law, religion, local moralities and reproductive practices for global bioethics...
- Embryonic stem cell research in Iran: status and ethicsMansooreh Saniei
Erasmus Mundus Master of Bioethics Fellow, Departmento di Filosofia, Universita degli Studi di Padova, Piazza Capitaniato 3, 35100 Padova, Italy
Indian J Med Ethics 5:181-4. 2008..This article examines how these traditions have influenced stem cell research in Iran through an account of scientific advances and the development of regulations on embryonic stem cell research in Iran...
- Some sociocultural aspects of cadaver organ donation: recent rulings from IranM Raza
Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Center, Shariati Hospital, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Transplant Proc 36:2888-90. 2004..There is no restriction on organ donation between people of different religions in normal circumstances. We conclude that these rulings should positively influence present sociocultural cadaver organ donation trends in Iran...
- A "good death": perspectives of Muslim patients and health care providersMohamad A Tayeb
North West Armed Forces Hospitals, Tabuk, Saudi Arabia
Ann Saudi Med 30:215-21. 2010..This study aimed to review the TFHCOP good death perception to determine its validity for Muslim patients and health care providers, and to identify and describe other components of the Muslim good death perspective...
- [Circadian rhythm of cortisol and its responsiveness to ACTH during Ramadan]L Ben Salem
Service d endocrinologie, Métabolisme et Nutrition Institut National de Nutrition 11, rue Djebel Lakhdar 1007 Bab Saâdoun Tunis, Tunisie
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 63:497-501. 2002..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the possible effect of these changes on the circadian rhythm of cortisol and its response to exogenous ACTH...
- Hajj and the risk of influenzaA Rashid Gatrad
BMJ 333:1182-3. 2006
- The association between pre-morbid conditions and respiratory tract manifestations amongst Malaysian Hajj pilgrimsZakuan Zainy Deris
Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia Health Campus, and Infection Control and Epidemiology Unit, Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
Trop Biomed 27:294-300. 2010..016). Based on these findings, we suggest those with underlying asthma should be discouraged from participating in the hajj and they should seek early treatment if they develop respiratory symptoms...
- [Ramadan fasting in type 2 diabetes mellitus]R Bouguerra
Service d endocrinologie, Métabolisme et Nutrition, Institut National de Nutrition, 11, rue Djebel Lakhdar Bab Saadoun 1007 Tunis, Tunisie
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 67:54-9. 2006..Ramadan fasting in type 2 diabetic patients seems to cause slight effects on glycemia and lipoprotein levels when previous metabolic control is quite good; but fasting induces more deterioration when previous control is poor...
- Effects of Ramadan fasting on serum lipid profiles on 2 hyperlipidemic groups with or without diet patternAbbas Afrasiabi
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Madani Heart Hospital, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Saudi Med J 24:23-6. 2003..To find out whether such reductions were due to nutritional diet or Ramadan fasting, we conducted a study to evaluate effects of Ramadan fasting on 2 separate hyperlipidemic groups with or without nutritional diet regimen...
- The Hajj: communicable and non-communicable health hazards and current guidance for pilgrimsZ A Memish
Ministry of Health, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Euro Surveill 15:19671. 2010..The Hajj 2010 starts in the first week of November 2010 and this report is a timely reminder that many infectious diseases can be avoided or averted by adopting appropriate prophylactic measures...
- The implications of Ramadan fasting for human health and well-beingJasem Ramadan Alkandari
Physical Activity and Exercise Physiology Unit, Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, The Health Sciences Center, Kuwait University, Kuwait
J Sports Sci 30:S9-19. 2012..There are no adverse effects of Ramadan fasting on respiratory and cardiovascular systems, haematologic profile, endocrine, and neuropsychiatric functions...
- How Islam changed medicineAzeem Majeed
BMJ 331:1486-7. 2005
- Effects of Ramadan intermittent fasting on middle-distance running performance in well-trained runnersJeanick Brisswalter
Laboratory of Human Motricity, Education Sport and Health, University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, Nice, France
Clin J Sport Med 21:422-7. 2011..To assess whether Ramadan intermittent fasting (RIF) affects 5000-m running performance and physiological parameters classically associated with middle-distance performance...
- Ethical issues in end-of-life geriatric care: the approach of three monotheistic religions-Judaism, Catholicism, and IslamA Mark Clarfield
Soroka Hospital, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beersheva, Israel
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:1149-54. 2003..The three Abrahamic monotheistic religions, Judaism, Christianity (its Catholic variant), and Islam all have carefully considered positions on medical ethics...
- Effect of Ramadan on the diurnal variation in short-term high power outputNizar Souissi
Department of Physiology, Sousse Faculty of Medicine, Tunisia
Chronobiol Int 24:991-1007. 2007..In comparison with the period before Ramadan, anaerobic performances were unaffected in the morning but impaired in the evening during Ramadan...
- Metabolic and clinical effects of Ramadan fasting in patients with type II diabetesSh Yarahmadi
Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Centre, Tahran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 13:329-32. 2003..To evaluate the effects of fasting on anthropometric indices and carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in patients with type II diabetes...
- Orf and religious practicesKamer Gunduz
J Dermatol 32:306-8. 2005
- Effect of Ramadan fasting on serum heat shock protein 70 and serum lipid profileA Zare
Immunology, Asthma and Allergy Research Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Children s Medical Center, Dr Gharib Street, Keshavarz Boulevard, Tehran, Iran
Singapore Med J 52:491-5. 2011..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of Ramadan fasting on the serum concentration of heat shock protein 70 (HSP70) and serum lipid profile in healthy men...
- Profile of bacterial pneumonia during HajjAtif H Asghar
The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Institute of Hajj Research, Umm Al Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia
Indian J Med Res 133:510-3. 2011..This study was aimed to determine the most common causes of bacterial pneumonia during the 2005 Hajj season and to relate the findings with clinical conditions...
- The influence of Islam on AIDS prevention among Senegalese university studentsSarah S Gilbert
Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 20:399-407. 2008Few studies have attempted to quantify Islam's contributions to HIV/AIDS prevention. Senegal has involved Muslim leaders in its prevention campaign for over a decade...
- Water and salt balance in young male football players in training during the holy month of RamadanSusan M Shirreffs
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK
J Sports Sci 26:S47-54. 2008..07). These descriptive data show large individual variations in all measured parameters with relatively little difference in sweat parameters between fasting and non-fasting individuals...
- Weight change during and after Ramadan fastingPeter Hajek
Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, London Newark Street, London E1 2AT, UK
J Public Health (Oxf) 34:377-81. 2012..Knowing whether Ramadan fasting affects body weight has implications for health advice to the Muslim community, for understanding the effects of skipping meals on body weight, and for general weight management advice...
- Metabolic alterations as a result of Ramadan fasting in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus patients in relation to food intakeFaisal A Khatib
Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
Saudi Med J 25:1858-63. 2004..Diabetes is known to be associated with alterations in metabolic parameters. The aim of this study is to investigate whether Ramadan fasting can affect these metabolic parameters in non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) patients...
- Adolescent alcohol use in the Netherlands: the role of ethnicity, ethnic intermarriage, and ethnic school compositionFrank Van Tubergen
Department of Sociology, Utrecht University, Heidelberglaan 2, 3584 CS Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ethn Health 15:1-13. 2010..To examine the association between ethnicity, ethnic intermarriage, ethnic composition of schools and adolescent alcohol use...
- Change of diet, plasma lipids, lipoproteins, and fatty acids during Ramadan: a controversial association of the considered Ramadan model with atherosclerosis riskAhmed Barkia
Ecole Supérieure des Sciences et Techniques de la Santé, Sfax, Tunisie
J Health Popul Nutr 29:486-93. 2011..Future studies considering the no-alimentary factors, such as sleep and physical activity, would be useful to clarify the contribution of dietary change in the observed modification of biological profile...
- Increasing organ donation rates from Muslim donors: lessons from a successful modelF A M Shaheen
Saudi Center for Organ Transplantation, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Transplant Proc 36:1878-80. 2004..We suggest increasing the awareness of the medical community and the public at large to the importance of organ donation and transplantation...
- Impact of fasting in Ramadan in patients with cardiac diseaseJassim Al Suwaidi
Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hamad General Hospital and Hamad Medical Corporation, Doha, State of Qatar
Saudi Med J 26:1579-83. 2005..To investigate whether Ramadan fasting has any effect on patients with heart disease...
- The effect of fasting in Ramadan on patients with heart diseaseHassan Chamsi-Pasha
Department of Cardiology, King Fahd Armed Forces Hospital, Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 25:47-51. 2004..To determine the clinical and biochemical effects of fasting during Ramadan on patients with cardiac disease...
- A population based study of Ramadan fasting and acute coronary syndromesJ Al Suwaidi
Heart 90:695-6. 2004
- Influenza vaccine uptake among British Muslims attending Hajj, 2005 and 2006Shuja Shafi
BMJ 333:1220. 2006
- Severe sepsis and septic shock at the Hajj: etiologies and outcomesSalim Baharoon
Department of Critical Care and Internal Medicine, King Saud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh 11426, Saudi Arabia
Travel Med Infect Dis 7:247-52. 2009....
- Psychiatry and IslamSaxby Pridmore
Discipline of Psychiatry, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 12:380-5. 2004To explore psychiatry in Islam, with a view to informing Western psychiatrists working with Islamic patients, and Islamic medical students studying in Western countries.
- [Dietary modifications, in young Muslims engaged in Ramadan fasting]R Guerrero Morilla
Escuela Universitaria de Enfermería de Ceuta, Universidad de Granada, Ceuta, Espana
Nutr Hosp 24:738-43. 2009....
- Prayer marksAbdullah A Abanmi
Dermatology Department, Research Center, Riyadh Al Kharj Armed Forces Hospital, PO Box 7897, Riyadh 11159, Saudi Arabia
Int J Dermatol 41:411-4. 2002....
- Maintenance of glycaemic control with the evening administration of a long acting sulphonylurea in male type 2 diabetic patients undertaking the Ramadan fastA H Zargar
Department of Endocrinology, Sher I Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir, India
Int J Clin Pract 64:1090-4. 2010..This study assessed whether switching to an evening administration of a long acting sulphonylurea during the 29-day, dawn to dusk fast, can maintain glycaemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Beneficial changes in serum apo A-1 and its ratio to apo B and HDL in stable hyperlipidaemic subjects after Ramadan fasting in KuwaitA O Akanji
Department of Pathology, Kuwait University Faculty of Medicine, Safat
Eur J Clin Nutr 54:508-13. 2000....
- PSYCHOSOCIAL IMPACT OF PEDIATRIC BONE MARROW TRANSPLANTSean Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, analyses will explore hypotheses specific to the positive psychology model, testing the role of positive affect and dispositional optimism as mediators and moderators of the intervention on child and parent well being. ..
- Exploring Factors for Future HIV Prevention in MalaysiaTooru Nemoto; Fiscal Year: 2013..In Malaysia, where the national religion is Islam;homosexuality, transgenderism, and alcohol use are punished among Muslims;and illicit drug use risks severe ..
- Biofilm Population Structure in the Gangetic DeltaGary Schoolnik; Fiscal Year: 2006..Schoolnik and Md. Sirajul Islam, will be performed mainly in Bangladesh at the International Center for Diarrhoeal Diseases Research (ICDDR,B) as ..
- Organized Religion and HIV/AIDS in MozambiqueVictor Agadjanian; Fiscal Year: 2004..proliferating evangelical and Pentecostal churches that emphasize charismatic prophesying and divine healing, and Islam. It will comparatively examine how HIV/AIDS-related messages are framed and articulated by congregation leaders ..
- Patient-centered Care for Muslim Women in the USMemoona Hasnain; Fiscal Year: 2004..the attendees will have the opportunity to hear a keynote address by a nationally recognized scholar on Women in Islam, and participate in plenary sessions and workshop sessions...
- Women Physical Disability and Depression: Communities Responding Now!DENA MOHAMMAD HASSOUNEH; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Childhood Precursors to Alcohol InvolvementSusan Luczak; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- PREDICTING DEPRESSION OUTCOMES IN MEDICALLY ILL ELDERSHarold Koenig; Fiscal Year: 2003..It will also provide important information to both guide future clinical trials and identify barriers to effective treatment of depression in these patients. ..
- SEXUAL RISK REDUCTION AMONG MEN WITH MENTAL ILLNESSEzra Susser; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will thoroughly examine the implications of the data for service provision and disseminate the results as appropriate. ..
- Early Determinants of Adult HealthEzra Susser; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- Using Mixed Reality to build peer resistance skills in Latina middle schoolersANNE E contact NORRIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Study results will also be helpful to other researchers developing technology based health games designed to promote health. ..
- Community Influences on Young People's HIV/AIDS Knowledge, Attitudes & PracticesRobert Stephenson; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Community factors shaping the sexual behavior of malesRobert Stephenson; Fiscal Year: 2007..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Psychosocial and Neurocognitive Consequences of Childhood CancerSean Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2006..Publication of the conference proceedings will serve to summarize the current state of the field and to point towards new research agendas for the future. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Integrity of the Pulmonary Blood-Gas BarrierJohn West; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, at the more basic level, this research is devoted to a fundamental biological dilemma of the lung, namely how the blood-gas barrier combines extreme thinness with immense strength. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Blueprints for Transforming Research at UIC College of DentistryChristine Wu; Fiscal Year: 2003..With the systematic infrastructure improvement initiative, and through integration of interdisciplinary research and creation of critical mass, UIC COD will play a leading role in US academic dentistry. ..
- MEASUREMENT OF ADAPTIVE STYLE IN CHILDREN WITH CANCERSean Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- GOLDENSEAL(HYDRASTIS CANADENSIS)REMEDY FOR ORAL DISEASESChristine Wu; Fiscal Year: 2002..This application of CAM research will help to achieve better oral health and oral disease prevention, one of the to priority areas of focus specified b the U.S. Public Health Service in "Health People 2000." ..