Genomes and Genes
Summary: A monotheistic religion promulgated by the Prophet Mohammed with Allah as the deity.
Publications308 found, 100 shown here
- The effect of the fast of Ramadan on ambulatory blood pressure in treated hypertensivesG Perk
Hadassah University Hospital, Mount Scopus, Jerusalem, Israel
J Hum Hypertens 15:723-5. 2001..6 kg (P < 0.002). We conclude, that according to our findings, treated, hypertensive patients may be assured that, with continuation of previous medications, traditional fasting during the month of Ramadan can be safely undertaken...
- A comparison of insulin lispro Mix25 and human insulin 30/70 in the treatment of type 2 diabetes during RamadanV Mattoo
Eli Lilly and Company, Indianapolis, IN, USA
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 59:137-43. 2003....
- Recommendations for management of diabetes during RamadanMonira Al-Arouj
Ministry of Health, Amiri Hospital, Rawda, Kuwait
Diabetes Care 28:2305-11. 2005
- The changes of metabolic profile and weight during Ramadan fastingV Ziaee
Islamic Medicine Research Centre, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Singapore Med J 47:409-14. 2006..Ramadan is the holiest month in the Islamic calendar and Muslims fast during this month. We designed this study to evaluate the effect of Ramadan fasting on plasma lipids and lipoproteins...
- Does Ramadan fasting affect sleep?A Bahammam
Sleep Disorders Center, College of Medicine, King Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Int J Clin Pract 60:1631-7. 2006..Where applicable, these findings are compared with those obtained during experimental fasting...
- Vildagliptin therapy and hypoglycaemia in Muslim type 2 diabetes patients during RamadanD Devendra
NHS Brent, London, UK
Int J Clin Pract 63:1446-50. 2009..To compare hypoglycaemic events, glycated haemoglobin (HbA(1c)) and changes in bodyweight in metformin-treated Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes receiving adjunctive treatment with vildagliptin or gliclazide during Ramadan fasting...
- Repaglinide versus glibenclamide treatment of Type 2 diabetes during Ramadan fastingM Mafauzy
School of Medical Science, University Sains Malaysia, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 58:45-53. 2002..Type 2 diabetic Muslims using prandial repaglinide showed a trend towards better glycaemic control and had a lower frequency of hypoglycaemia than patients using glibenclamide during Ramadan...
- Responses to exercise, fluid, and energy balances during Ramadan in sedentary and active malesJ Ramadan
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Safat
Nutrition 15:735-9. 1999..Body fluid balance was better maintained in active than in sedentary subjects...
- Does fasting during Ramadan alter body composition, blood constituents and physical performance?J Ramadan
Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, Kuwait University, Kuwait
Med Princ Pract 11:41-6. 2002..To study the effect of Ramadan fast (RF) on body composition, plasma constituents, hematology, and cardiorespiratory responses to constant submaximal exercise...
- Religious and cultural distance in beliefs about health and illness in women with diabetes mellitus of different origin living in SwedenKatarina Hjelm
Department of Community Medicine, University of Lund, Sweden
Int J Nurs Stud 40:627-43. 2003..Cultural and religious distance are essential for understanding self-care practice and care-seeking behaviour, and need to be considered in the planning of diabetes care...
- Effects of Ramadan intermittent fasting on sports performance and training: a reviewAnis Chaouachi
Research Unit Evaluation, Sport, Health, National Centre of Medicine and Science in Sport, Tunis, Tunisia
Int J Sports Physiol Perform 4:419-34. 2009....
- Daytime sleepiness during Ramadan intermittent fasting: polysomnographic and quantitative waking EEG studyRachida Roky
Department of Pharmacology, Faculty of Medicine and Pharmacy, Casablanca, Morocco
J Sleep Res 12:95-101. 2003..Sleep latency was also related to rectal temperature. In conclusion, Ramadan diurnal fasting induced an increase in subjective and objective daytime sleepiness associated with changes in diurnal rectal temperature...
- The effects of diet, sulfonylurea, and Repaglinide therapy on clinical and metabolic parameters in type 2 diabetic patients during RamadanRamazan Sari
Department of Endocrinology, Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, School of Medicine, University of Akdeniz, Antalya, Turkey
Endocr Res 30:169-77. 2004..Diabetes and its treatment can cause problems for the Muslim population. The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of different therapy models on clinical and metabolic status in type 2 diabetic patients during Ramadan...
- Hajj-associated outbreak strain of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W135: estimates of the attack rate in a defined population and the risk of invasive disease developing in carriersAnnelies Wilder-Smith
Travellers Health and Vaccination Centre, Dept of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433
Clin Infect Dis 36:679-83. 2003..Public health policies to protect household contacts of Hajj pilgrims need to be implemented...
- Outbreak of serogroup W135 meningococcal disease after the Hajj pilgrimage, Europe, 2000Jean Francois Aguilera
Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre, London, United Kingdom
Emerg Infect Dis 8:761-7. 2002..No difference in transmission rates following intervention was detected between France and the UK...
- The meanings of organ donation: Muslims of Pakistani origin and white English nationals living in North EnglandClare Hayward
Academic Unit of Psychiatry, 15 Hyde Terrace, University of Leeds, Leeds LS2 9JT, UK
Soc Sci Med 57:389-401. 2003..We conclude that the meaning of organ donation is more than about being and having a body. It is bound up in metaphors of embodiment, religious considerations, and moral judgement of scientific and medical conduct...
- UK Muslim graduates need more information about organ donation and transplantMuhammad Aslam
Transpl Int 21:92-3. 2008
- A population-based study of diabetes and its characteristics during the fasting month of Ramadan in 13 countries: results of the epidemiology of diabetes and Ramadan 1422/2001 (EPIDIAR) studyIbrahim Salti
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, American University of Beirut, Lebanon
Diabetes Care 27:2306-11. 2004..The aim of this study was to assess the characteristics and care of patients with diabetes in countries with a sizable Muslim population and to study diabetes features during Ramadan and the effect of fasting...
- "He won't be my son": Middle Eastern Muslim men's discourses of adoption and gamete donationMarcia C Inhorn
Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies, Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, University of Michigan, USA
Med Anthropol Q 20:94-120. 2006....
- Brain death revisited: it is not 'complete death' according to Islamic sourcesAhmet Bedir
Harran University, Faculty of Divinity, Department of Tafsîr Islamic Exegesis, Sanliurfa, Turkey
J Med Ethics 37:290-4. 2011..According to Islam, the entity that moves the body is named the soul. And the aliment of the soul is air...
- Hypoglycaemia in sulphonylurea-treated subjects with type 2 diabetes undergoing Ramadan fasting: a five-country observational studyS R Aravind
Diacon Hospital, Diabetes Care and Research Centre, Bangalore, India
Curr Med Res Opin 27:1237-42. 2011..To determine the incidence of hypoglycaemia during Ramadan in Muslim subjects with type 2 diabetes treated with a sulphonylurea...
- Interactions between leptin, neuropeptide-Y and insulin with chronic diurnal fasting during RamadanSalah Kassab
Department of Physiology, College of Medicine and Medical Sciences, Arabian Gulf University, Manama, Bahrain
Ann Saudi Med 24:345-9. 2004..However, the long-term changes and interactions between these factors during this pattern of fasting are not known...
- Effects on health of fluid restriction during fasting in RamadanJ B Leiper
Department of Biomedical Sciences, University Medical School, Aberdeen University, UK
Eur J Clin Nutr 57:S30-8. 2003..No detrimental effects on health have as yet been directly attributed to negative water balance at the levels that may be produced during Ramadan...
- [Food intake during and outside Ramadan]M Gharbi
Ecole Supérieure des Sciences et Techniques de la Santé de Tunis, Tunis, Tunisie
East Mediterr Health J 9:131-40. 2003..These findings show the eating behaviour during Ramadan may contribute to improved nutritional status of people at risk of nutritional deficiency...
- [Food intake, and anthropometrical and biological parameters in adult Tunisians during fasting at Ramadan]L Beltaifa
Institut National de Nutrition, Tunis, Tunisie
East Mediterr Health J 8:603-11. 2002..Thus fasting in Ramadan did not affect dietary intake, clinical, anthropometrical and most biological parameters...
- The interaction between physical activity and fasting on the serum lipid profile during RamadanA A Haghdoost
Physiology Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Jomhoori Islamic Boulevard, Kerman 7618747653, Iran
Singapore Med J 50:897-901. 2009..In this study, we compared the patterns of the lipid profile changes in those who engaged in regular physical activity with those who did not...
- Acquisition of W135 meningococcal carriage in Hajj pilgrims and transmission to household contacts: prospective studyAnnelies Wilder-Smith
Travellers Health and Vaccination Centre, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433
BMJ 325:365-6. 2002
- Does hospitalization for congestive heart failure occur more frequently in Ramadan: a population-based study (1991-2001)J Al Suwaidi
Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hamad Medical Corporation and Hamad General Hospital, P O Box 3050 Doha, State of Qatar
Int J Cardiol 96:217-21. 2004..Our objective in this study is to investigate whether Ramadan fasting has any effect on the number of hospitalization for congestive heart failure (CHF) in a geographically defined population...
- The effect of fasting month of Ramadan on the abdominal fat distribution: assessment by computed tomographyAylin Yucel
Department of Radiology, Afyon Kocatepe University School of Medicine, 03200 Afyon, Turkey
Tohoku J Exp Med 204:179-87. 2004..However in female and young individuals, there was a reduction in visceral fat compartment. This could be due to fat redistribution, because they have more physical activity than males and older individuals...
- Effects of intermittent fasting on serum lipid levels, coagulation status and plasma homocysteine levelsFehime Benli Aksungar
Department of Biochemistry, School of Medicine, Maltepe University, Istanbul, Turkey
Ann Nutr Metab 49:77-82. 2005..Many physiological and psychological changes are observed during Ramadan that are probably due to the changes in eating and sleeping patterns...
- High risk of Mycobacterium tuberculosis infection during the Hajj pilgrimageAnnelies Wilder-Smith
Department of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore
Trop Med Int Health 10:336-9. 2005..We conducted a prospective study to assess the risk of M. tuberculosis infection among Hajj pilgrims...
- Influence of Islam on smoking among MuslimsNazim Ghouri
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Western General Hospital, Edinburgh EH4 2XU
BMJ 332:291-4. 2006
- Does the circadian pattern for acute cardiac events presentation vary with fasting?J Al Suwaidi
Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Doha, Qatar
J Postgrad Med 52:30-3; discussion 33-4. 2006..Over one billion Muslims fast worldwide during the month of Ramadan. The impact of fasting on circadian presentation with acute cardiac events is unknown...
- Unexpected changes in blood pressure and hematological parameters among fasting and nonfasting workers during Ramadan in IndonesiaL Dewanti
Department of Human Ecology, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Eur J Clin Nutr 60:877-81. 2006..To examine the effect of Ramadan fasting on basic hematological parameters, in addition to the effects on body weight and blood pressure of fasters and nonfasters...
- The effect of Ramadan fasting on fasting serum glucose in healthy adultsB Larijani
Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Center EMRC, Fifth Floor, Doctor Shariati Hospital, North Kargar Avenue, Tehran 14114, Iran
Med J Malaysia 58:678-80. 2003..Calorie intake decreased in all groups (p < 0.001) and was positively correlated with decreasing FPG. FPG decreases with Ramadan fasting and has no serious adverse effect on fasting adults...
- Comparison of the dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitor vildagliptin and the sulphonylurea gliclazide in combination with metformin, in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus fasting during Ramadan: results of the VECTOR studyMohamed Hassanein
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board, Rhyl, UK
Curr Med Res Opin 27:1367-74. 2011..To compare the incidence of hypoglycaemic events (HEs) in a real-world setting in Muslim patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus fasting during Ramadan...
- Haematological, inflammatory, and immunological responses in elite judo athletes maintaining high training loads during RamadanAnis Chaouachi
Research Unit Evaluation, Sport, Health, National Center of Medicine and Science in Sports CNMSS, Tunis, Tunisia
Appl Physiol Nutr Metab 34:907-15. 2009..These results suggest that athletes who continue to train intensely during Ramadan are liable to experience a myriad of small fluctuations in hormones, immunoglobulins, antioxidants, and inflammatory responses...
- Effects of fasting and a medium calorie balanced diet during the holy month Ramadan on weight, BMI and some blood parameters of overweight malesM Salehi
School of Health, P O Box 111, Postcode 71645, Shiraz, Iran
Pak J Biol Sci 10:968-71. 2007..Conversely, no significant changes in serum levels of triglyceride were noted...
- Dietary intake and body composition of football players during the holy month of RamadanRonald J Maughan
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK
J Sports Sci 26:S29-38. 2008..After Ramadan, the dietary variables reverted to the pre-Ramadan values...
- Food intake and high density lipoprotein cholesterol levels changes during ramadan fasting in healthy young subjectsFaiza Lamine
Service d endocrinologie, Métabolisme et Nutrition, Hôpital de Jour Institut National de Nutrition Tunis
Tunis Med 84:647-50. 2006..02). This increase was lost after Ramadan. Fasting Ramadan affects beneficially serum lipoprotein metabolism in young adult healthy subjects with an increase of HDL-cholesterol...
- The influence of faith and religion and the role of religious and community leaders in prenatal decisions for sickle cell disorders and thalassaemia majorShenaz Ahmed
Academic Unit of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Prenat Diagn 26:801-9. 2006....
- [Circadian rhythm of cortisol and its responsiveness to ACTH during Ramadan]L Ben Salem
Service d endocrinologie, Métabolisme et Nutrition Institut National de Nutrition 11, rue Djebel Lakhdar 1007 Bab Saâdoun Tunis, Tunisie
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 63:497-501. 2002..The purpose of the present study was to investigate the possible effect of these changes on the circadian rhythm of cortisol and its response to exogenous ACTH...
- The implications of Ramadan fasting for human health and well-beingJasem Ramadan Alkandari
Physical Activity and Exercise Physiology Unit, Department of Physiology, Faculty of Medicine, The Health Sciences Center, Kuwait University, Kuwait
J Sports Sci 30:S9-19. 2012..Conclusions: Although Ramadan fasting is safe for all healthy individuals, those with various diseases should consult their physicians and follow medical and scientific recommendations...
- The influence of Islam on AIDS prevention among Senegalese university studentsSarah S Gilbert
Department of Psychology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, USA
AIDS Educ Prev 20:399-407. 2008Few studies have attempted to quantify Islam's contributions to HIV/AIDS prevention. Senegal has involved Muslim leaders in its prevention campaign for over a decade...
- Orf and religious practicesKamer Gunduz
J Dermatol 32:306-8. 2005
- How Islam changed medicineAzeem Majeed
BMJ 331:1486-7. 2005
- Effect of Ramadan on the diurnal variation in short-term high power outputNizar Souissi
Department of Physiology, Sousse Faculty of Medicine, Tunisia
Chronobiol Int 24:991-1007. 2007..In comparison with the period before Ramadan, anaerobic performances were unaffected in the morning but impaired in the evening during Ramadan...
- Metabolic alterations as a result of Ramadan fasting in non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus patients in relation to food intakeFaisal A Khatib
Department of Physiology and Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine, University of Jordan, Amman, Jordan
Saudi Med J 25:1858-63. 2004..Diabetes is known to be associated with alterations in metabolic parameters. The aim of this study is to investigate whether Ramadan fasting can affect these metabolic parameters in non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) patients...
- Metabolic and clinical effects of Ramadan fasting in patients with type II diabetesSh Yarahmadi
Endocrinology and Metabolism Research Centre, Tahran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
J Coll Physicians Surg Pak 13:329-32. 2003..To evaluate the effects of fasting on anthropometric indices and carbohydrate and lipid metabolism in patients with type II diabetes...
- [Ramadan fasting in type 2 diabetes mellitus]R Bouguerra
Service d endocrinologie, Métabolisme et Nutrition, Institut National de Nutrition, 11, rue Djebel Lakhdar Bab Saadoun 1007 Tunis, Tunisie
Ann Endocrinol (Paris) 67:54-9. 2006..Ramadan fasting in type 2 diabetic patients seems to cause slight effects on glycemia and lipoprotein levels when previous metabolic control is quite good; but fasting induces more deterioration when previous control is poor...
- [Orf in urban surroundings and religious practices: a study over a 3-year period]P D Ghislain
Service de Dermatologie, CH François Rabelais, Bruxelles, Belgique
Ann Dermatol Venereol 128:889-92. 2001..This generally occurs during professional activities. In our clinic, located in the heart of Brussels, we were surprised by the number of orf cases encountered each year, grouped during a short three-week period...
- Hajj and the risk of influenzaA Rashid Gatrad
BMJ 333:1182-3. 2006
- Ethical issues in end-of-life geriatric care: the approach of three monotheistic religions-Judaism, Catholicism, and IslamA Mark Clarfield
Soroka Hospital, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beersheva, Israel
J Am Geriatr Soc 51:1149-54. 2003..The three Abrahamic monotheistic religions, Judaism, Christianity (its Catholic variant), and Islam all have carefully considered positions on medical ethics...
- The Hajj: communicable and non-communicable health hazards and current guidance for pilgrimsZ A Memish
Ministry of Health, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Euro Surveill 15:19671. 2010..The Hajj 2010 starts in the first week of November 2010 and this report is a timely reminder that many infectious diseases can be avoided or averted by adopting appropriate prophylactic measures...
- Profile of bacterial pneumonia during HajjAtif H Asghar
The Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques Institute of Hajj Research, Umm Al Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia
Indian J Med Res 133:510-3. 2011..This study was aimed to determine the most common causes of bacterial pneumonia during the 2005 Hajj season and to relate the findings with clinical conditions...
- Effects of Ramadan intermittent fasting on middle-distance running performance in well-trained runnersJeanick Brisswalter
Laboratory of Human Motricity, Education Sport and Health, University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, Nice, France
Clin J Sport Med 21:422-7. 2011..To assess whether Ramadan intermittent fasting (RIF) affects 5000-m running performance and physiological parameters classically associated with middle-distance performance...
- Effects of Ramadan fasting on serum lipid profiles on 2 hyperlipidemic groups with or without diet patternAbbas Afrasiabi
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, Madani Heart Hospital, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Saudi Med J 24:23-6. 2003..To find out whether such reductions were due to nutritional diet or Ramadan fasting, we conducted a study to evaluate effects of Ramadan fasting on 2 separate hyperlipidemic groups with or without nutritional diet regimen...
- Weight change during and after Ramadan fastingPeter Hajek
Wolfson Institute of Preventive Medicine, Barts and the London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary, University of London, London Newark Street, London E1 2AT, UK
J Public Health (Oxf) 34:377-81. 2012..Knowing whether Ramadan fasting affects body weight has implications for health advice to the Muslim community, for understanding the effects of skipping meals on body weight, and for general weight management advice...
- Adolescent alcohol use in the Netherlands: the role of ethnicity, ethnic intermarriage, and ethnic school compositionFrank Van Tubergen
Department of Sociology, Utrecht University, Heidelberglaan 2, 3584 CS Utrecht, The Netherlands
Ethn Health 15:1-13. 2010..To examine the association between ethnicity, ethnic intermarriage, ethnic composition of schools and adolescent alcohol use...
- Change of diet, plasma lipids, lipoproteins, and fatty acids during Ramadan: a controversial association of the considered Ramadan model with atherosclerosis riskAhmed Barkia
Ecole Supérieure des Sciences et Techniques de la Santé, Sfax, Tunisie
J Health Popul Nutr 29:486-93. 2011..Future studies considering the no-alimentary factors, such as sleep and physical activity, would be useful to clarify the contribution of dietary change in the observed modification of biological profile...
- Water and salt balance in young male football players in training during the holy month of RamadanSusan M Shirreffs
School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough, UK
J Sports Sci 26:S47-54. 2008..07). These descriptive data show large individual variations in all measured parameters with relatively little difference in sweat parameters between fasting and non-fasting individuals...
- The association between pre-morbid conditions and respiratory tract manifestations amongst Malaysian Hajj pilgrimsZakuan Zainy Deris
Department of Medical Microbiology and Parasitology, School of Medical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia Health Campus, and Infection Control and Epidemiology Unit, Hospital Universiti Sains Malaysia, 16150 Kubang Kerian, Kelantan, Malaysia
Trop Biomed 27:294-300. 2010..016). Based on these findings, we suggest those with underlying asthma should be discouraged from participating in the hajj and they should seek early treatment if they develop respiratory symptoms...
- Effect of Ramadan fasting on serum heat shock protein 70 and serum lipid profileA Zare
Immunology, Asthma and Allergy Research Institute, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Children s Medical Center, Dr Gharib Street, Keshavarz Boulevard, Tehran, Iran
Singapore Med J 52:491-5. 2011..The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of Ramadan fasting on the serum concentration of heat shock protein 70 (HSP70) and serum lipid profile in healthy men...
- Influenza vaccine uptake among British Muslims attending Hajj, 2005 and 2006Shuja Shafi
BMJ 333:1220. 2006
- Increasing organ donation rates from Muslim donors: lessons from a successful modelF A M Shaheen
Saudi Center for Organ Transplantation, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Transplant Proc 36:1878-80. 2004..We suggest increasing the awareness of the medical community and the public at large to the importance of organ donation and transplantation...
- Impact of fasting in Ramadan in patients with cardiac diseaseJassim Al Suwaidi
Department of Cardiology and Cardiovascular Surgery, Hamad General Hospital and Hamad Medical Corporation, Doha, State of Qatar
Saudi Med J 26:1579-83. 2005..To investigate whether Ramadan fasting has any effect on patients with heart disease...
- A population based study of Ramadan fasting and acute coronary syndromesJ Al Suwaidi
Heart 90:695-6. 2004
- The effect of fasting in Ramadan on patients with heart diseaseHassan Chamsi-Pasha
Department of Cardiology, King Fahd Armed Forces Hospital, Jeddah, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Saudi Med J 25:47-51. 2004..To determine the clinical and biochemical effects of fasting during Ramadan on patients with cardiac disease...
- When the spirit leaves: Childhood death, grieving, and bereavement in IslamKamyar Hedayat
Pediatric Critical Care, Integrative Medicine, Sutton Children s Hospital, Shreveport, Louisiana 71101, USA
J Palliat Med 9:1282-91. 2006..b>Islam is one of the three most populous religions along with Christianity and Hinduism and the fastest growing religion ..
- Prayer marksAbdullah A Abanmi
Dermatology Department, Research Center, Riyadh Al Kharj Armed Forces Hospital, PO Box 7897, Riyadh 11159, Saudi Arabia
Int J Dermatol 41:411-4. 2002....
- 'Fasting and prayer don't concern the doctors ... they don't even know what it is': communication, decision-making and perceived social relations of Pakistani Muslim patients with long-term illnessesGhazala Mir
Centre for Health and Social Care, Institute of Health Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, UK
Ethn Health 15:327-42. 2010..We sought to explore the impact of religious identity and beliefs on self-management of long-term conditions, on patient-professional communication and decision-making and health inequalities within Pakistani Muslim communities...
- Psychiatry and IslamSaxby Pridmore
Discipline of Psychiatry, University of Tasmania, Hobart, TAS, Australia
Australas Psychiatry 12:380-5. 2004To explore psychiatry in Islam, with a view to informing Western psychiatrists working with Islamic patients, and Islamic medical students studying in Western countries.
- Ramadan fasting: relation to atherogenic risk among obese MuslimsSaneya A Saleh
Unit of Medical Nutrition Therapy, Damanhour Medical National Institute
J Egypt Public Health Assoc 79:461-83. 2004..05). The model of Ramadan fasting could be followed as a behavior modification program to control or prevent atherogenicity because of its positive impact on the lipid pattern, blood count and coagulation parameters...
- Islamic fasting and healthFereidoun Azizi
Research Institute for Endocrine Sciences, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Islamic Republic of Iran azizi endocrine ac ir
Ann Nutr Metab 56:273-82. 2010..The duration of fasting varies from 13 to 18 h/day. Fasting includes avoidance of drinking liquids and eating foods. The aim of this article is to review health-related aspects of Ramadan fasting...
- [Dietary modifications, in young Muslims engaged in Ramadan fasting]R Guerrero Morilla
Escuela Universitaria de Enfermería de Ceuta, Universidad de Granada, Ceuta, Espana
Nutr Hosp 24:738-43. 2009....
- Repaglinide plus single-dose insulin glargine: a safe regimen for low-risk type 2 diabetic patients who insist on fasting in RamadanOkan Bakiner
Division of Endocrinology and Metabolism, Baskent University Faculty of Medicine, 06490 Ankara, Turkey
Acta Diabetol 46:63-5. 2009..The results of this pilot study indicated that repaglinide t.i.d. plus single-dose insulin glargine regimen was safe for low-risk type 2 diabetic patients who insisted on fasting during Ramadan...
- Severe sepsis and septic shock at the Hajj: etiologies and outcomesSalim Baharoon
Department of Critical Care and Internal Medicine, King Saud Bin Abdulaziz University for Health Sciences, King Abdulaziz Medical City, Riyadh 11426, Saudi Arabia
Travel Med Infect Dis 7:247-52. 2009....
- Meningococcal disease and travelAnnelies Wilder-Smith
Travellers Health and Vaccination Centre, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore 308433, Singapore
Int J Antimicrob Agents 21:102-6. 2003..In view of increasing worldwide reports of Y and W135 meningococcal disease, there should be a switch in recommendation from the bivalent (against A& C) to the quadrivalent vaccine for all travellers...
- The effects of Islam and traditional practices on women's health and reproductionZuhal Bahar
Dokuz Eylul University, Izmir, Turkey
Nurs Ethics 12:557-70. 2005The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of Islam as a religion and culture on Turkish women's health...
- Maintenance of glycaemic control with the evening administration of a long acting sulphonylurea in male type 2 diabetic patients undertaking the Ramadan fastA H Zargar
Department of Endocrinology, Sher I Kashmir Institute of Medical Sciences, Srinagar, Kashmir, India
Int J Clin Pract 64:1090-4. 2010..This study assessed whether switching to an evening administration of a long acting sulphonylurea during the 29-day, dawn to dusk fast, can maintain glycaemic control in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Beneficial changes in serum apo A-1 and its ratio to apo B and HDL in stable hyperlipidaemic subjects after Ramadan fasting in KuwaitA O Akanji
Department of Pathology, Kuwait University Faculty of Medicine, Safat
Eur J Clin Nutr 54:508-13. 2000....
- Medical ethics and Islam: principles and practiceA R Gatrad
Manor Hospital, Walsall NHS Trust, Moat Road, Walsall WS2 2PS, UK
Arch Dis Child 84:72-75. 2001..We hope that the insights gained will aid clinicians to better understand their Muslim patients and deliver care that pays due respect to their beliefs...
- Ramadan fasting induces modifications of certain serum components in obese women with type 2 diabetesBoumediene M Khaled
Department of Biology, Faculty of Sciences, Djillali Liabes University, Sidi Bel Abbes, Algeria
Saudi Med J 27:23-6. 2006....
- Effects of Ramadan fasting on biochemical and hematological parameters and cytokines in healthy and obese individualsMurat Unalacak
Medical Faculty, Department of Family Medicine, Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Eskisehir, Turkey
Metab Syndr Relat Disord 9:157-61. 2011..We aimed to investigate the effects of Ramadan fasting on biochemical and hematological parameters and cytokines in healthy and obese individuals...
- Sleep during Ramadan intermittent fastingR Roky
, , Casablanca, Maroc, France
J Sleep Res 10:319-27. 2001....
- Influence of Ramadan fasting on physiological and performance variables in football players: summary of the F-MARC 2006 Ramadan fasting studyYacine Zerguini
Centre d Evaluation et d Expertise en Medecine du Sport, Algiers, Algeria
J Sports Sci 26:S3-6. 2008..was to gain additional information and scientific data in conformity with the philosophical background of Islam to allow optimisation of the daily training and dietary regimen in relation to the mental and physical performance ..
- Treatment of type 1 diabetes with insulin lispro during RamadanA Kadiri
Service d'Endocrinologie, CHU Ibn Sina Rabat, Morocco
Diabetes Metab 27:482-6. 2001..Patients with type 1 diabetes who insist on fasting during Ramadan may be better managed with insulin lispro...
- Effect of Ramadan fasting on some indices of insulin resistance and components of the metabolic syndrome in healthy male adultsZ Vahdat Shariatpanahi
Faculty of Nutrition and Food Industry, Shaheed Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Br J Nutr 100:147-51. 2008....
- Body composition, nutrient intake and physical activity patterns in young women during RamadanH M Al-Hourani
Department of Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, Faculty of Allied Health Sciences, The Hashemite University, PO Box 150459, Zarqa 13115, Jordan
Singapore Med J 48:906-10. 2007..The purpose of this study was to assess body composition, nutrient intake and physical activity patterns during Ramadan fasting...
- Persistence of W135 Neisseria meningitidis carriage in returning Hajj pilgrims: risk for early and late transmission to household contactsAnnelies Wilder-Smith
Head, Travellers Health and Vaccination Centre, Department of Infectious Diseases, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, 11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng, Singapore
Emerg Infect Dis 9:123-6. 2003..Transmission to 8% of their unvaccinated household contacts occurred within the first few weeks, but no late transmission took place. Public health interventions are needed to protect household contacts...
- Making Muslim babies: IVF and gamete donation in Sunni versus Shi'a IslamMarcia C Inhorn
Center for Middle Eastern and North African Studies, Department of Health Behavior and Health Education, Program in Women s Studies, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48109 2029, USA
Cult Med Psychiatry 30:427-50. 2006....
- Islam and informed consent: notes from DohaPablo Rodriguez Del Pozo
Division of Medical Ethics, Weill Cornell Medical College in Qatar
Camb Q Healthc Ethics 17:273-9. 2008
- The effects of fasting on metabolism and performanceR J Maughan
School of Sports and Exercise and Health Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough LE11 3TU, UK
Br J Sports Med 44:490-4. 2010..Modifications to the competition timetable may minimise or even eliminate any effect on performance in sport, but there may be negative effects on performance in some events...
- Fasting and sport: an introductionR J Maughan
School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences, Loughborough University, Loughborough LE11 3TU, UK
Br J Sports Med 44:473-5. 2010..Further research on a wide range of athletes with special nutrition needs is urgently required. In events where performance might be affected, other strategies to eliminate or minimise any effects must be sought...
- Precompetition taper and nutritional strategies: special reference to training during Ramadan intermittent fastInigo Mujika
USP Araba Sport Clinic, Paseo de la Biosfera s n, 01013 Vitoria Gasteiz, Basque Country, Spain
Br J Sports Med 44:495-501. 2010..However, experienced elite Muslim athletes are able to maintain their usual training load during this month of intermittent fasting without decrements in measures of fitness and with only minor adverse effects...
- Attitudes towards prenatal diagnosis and termination of pregnancy for thalassaemia in pregnant Pakistani women in the North of EnglandShenaz Ahmed
Academic Unit of Psychiatry and Behavioural Sciences, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9LT, UK
Prenat Diagn 26:248-57. 2006..This study is aimed at exploring the attitudes of pregnant Pakistani women towards prenatal diagnosis and termination of pregnancy for beta-thalassaemia major in the North of England...
- Impact of Ramadan on physical performance in professional soccer playersYacine Zerguini
Centre d Evaluation et d Expertise en Medecine du Sport, Algiers, Algeria
Br J Sports Med 41:398-400. 2007..Ramadan is a period of daylight abstention from liquid or solid nutrients. As sports continue to be scheduled, an understanding of the effects of Ramadan on Muslim athletes is warranted...
- A comparison of glycemic effects of glimepiride, repaglinide, and insulin glargine in type 2 diabetes mellitus during Ramadan fastingMustafa Cesur
Ankara Guven Hospital, Department of Endocrinology and Metabolic Diseases, Ankara, Turkey
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 75:141-7. 2007..In this fasting sample of patients with type 2 diabetes, glimepiride, repaglinide, and insulin glargine did not produce significant changes in glucose and lipid parameters...
- Insulin therapy during Ramadan fast for Type 1 diabetes patientsH S Kassem
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Endocrinology, American University of Beirut Medical Center, Lebanon
J Endocrinol Invest 28:802-5. 2005..The total insulin dose should consist of around 85% of their initial insulin dose and it should be composed of around 70% ultralente and 30% rapid insulin, divided equally between Suhur and Iftar...
- Assessment of dietary consumption and time-course of changes in serum lipids and lipoproteins before, during and after Ramadan in young Algerian adultsM Y Lamri-Senhadji
Laboratoire de Nutrition Clinique et Métabolique, Faculte des Sciences, Department de Biologie, Université d Oran, 31100 Es Sénia, Algeria
Singapore Med J 50:288-94. 2009..The time-course prospective study was done in order to investigate at what time eventual changes to these parameters occur during Ramadan and their disappearance after Ramadan...
- An open label comparative study of glimepiride versus repaglinide in type 2 diabetes mellitus Muslim subjects during the month of RamadanA Anwar
Department of Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia UKM, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Med J Malaysia 61:28-35. 2006..There was no difference in the glycaemic excursion post-Ramadan. The longer duration of action of glimepiride may offer an advantage over repaglinide during the 13.5 hours of fast in Ramadan for diabetic patients...
- Mother-Child Adjustment in Arab Immigrants and RefugeesKaren Aroian; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..
- PSYCHOSOCIAL IMPACT OF PEDIATRIC BONE MARROW TRANSPLANTSean Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2006..Finally, analyses will explore hypotheses specific to the positive psychology model, testing the role of positive affect and dispositional optimism as mediators and moderators of the intervention on child and parent well being. ..
- Women Physical Disability and Depression: Communities Responding Now!DENA MOHAMMAD HASSOUNEH; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- Women Physical Disability and Depression: Communities Responding Now!Dena Hassouneh; Fiscal Year: 2009..abstract_text> ..
- Early Determinants of Adult HealthEzra Susser; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- SEXUAL RISK REDUCTION AMONG MEN WITH MENTAL ILLNESSEzra Susser; Fiscal Year: 2002..We will thoroughly examine the implications of the data for service provision and disseminate the results as appropriate. ..
- PREDICTING DEPRESSION OUTCOMES IN MEDICALLY ILL ELDERSHarold Koenig; Fiscal Year: 2003..It will also provide important information to both guide future clinical trials and identify barriers to effective treatment of depression in these patients. ..
- Trial of Male Circumcision to Reduce HIV IncidenceRobert Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2007..Since MC is little practiced in the high HIV prevalence regions of Africa, the results of this trial could have a very significant impact on the HIV/AIDS pandemic. ..
- Psychosocial and Neurocognitive Consequences of Childhood CancerSean Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2006..Publication of the conference proceedings will serve to summarize the current state of the field and to point towards new research agendas for the future. ..
- Integrity of the Pulmonary Blood-Gas BarrierJohn West; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, at the more basic level, this research is devoted to a fundamental biological dilemma of the lung, namely how the blood-gas barrier combines extreme thinness with immense strength. ..
- Determinants and Reproductive Health Consequences of Domestic Violence in IndiaMichael Koenig; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Community Influences on Young People's HIV/AIDS Knowledge, Attitudes & PracticesRobert Stephenson; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Community factors shaping the sexual behavior of malesRobert Stephenson; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Responding to the changing tobacco epidemic in the Eastern Mediterranean RegionWasim Maziak; Fiscal Year: 2007..Research and training activities proposed will contribute to the building of professional capacity that can aid the successful implementation of the FCTC in the EMR. ..
- Using Mixed Reality to build peer resistance skills in Latina middle schoolersANNE E contact NORRIS; Fiscal Year: 2010..Study results will also be helpful to other researchers developing technology based health games designed to promote health. ..
- Responding to the changing tobacco epidemic in the Eastern Mediterranean RegionWasim Maziak; Fiscal Year: 2010..Research and training activities proposed will contribute to the building of professional capacity that can aid the successful implementation of the FCTC in the EMR. ..
- Testing and Counseling for HIV: A Multi-Site StudyCARLA M OBERMEYER; Fiscal Year: 2010..Analyses will combine statistical methods for quantifiable survey data, and qualitative methods for the textual data resulting from open-ended responses and observations. ..
- Trauma and Growth in Pediatric CancerSean Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Community Coping Intervention for Somali Refugee WomenCheryl Lee Robertson; Fiscal Year: 2010..Standardized outcome measures of depression and anxiety symptoms and use of coping strategies will provide critical preliminary data that will support the design of a larger trial of the Somali Health Realization intervention ..
- Testing and Counseling for HIV: A Multi-Site StudyCARLA OBERMEYER; Fiscal Year: 2009..Analyses will combine statistical methods for quantifiable survey data, and qualitative methods for the textual data resulting from open-ended responses and observations. ..
- Trial of Male Circumcision to Reduce HIV IncidenceRobert Bailey; Fiscal Year: 2007..Since MC is little practiced in the high HIV prevalence regions of Africa, the results of this trial could have a very significant impact on the HIV/AIDS pandemic. ..
- Testing and Counseling for HIV: A Multi-Site StudyCARLA OBERMEYER; Fiscal Year: 2007..Analyses will combine statistical methods for quantifiable survey data, and qualitative methods for the textual data resulting from open-ended responses and observations. ..
- GOLDENSEAL(HYDRASTIS CANADENSIS)REMEDY FOR ORAL DISEASESChristine Wu; Fiscal Year: 2002..This application of CAM research will help to achieve better oral health and oral disease prevention, one of the to priority areas of focus specified b the U.S. Public Health Service in "Health People 2000." ..
- Determinants and Consequences of Domestic ViolenceMichael Koenig; Fiscal Year: 2004..Using multivariate probit and multinomial logit models, we analyze the relationship between domestic violence and contraceptive adoption, contraceptive method choice, and pregnancy/live birth outcomes. ..
- Blueprints for Transforming Research at UIC College of DentistryChristine Wu; Fiscal Year: 2003..With the systematic infrastructure improvement initiative, and through integration of interdisciplinary research and creation of critical mass, UIC COD will play a leading role in US academic dentistry. ..
- STRESS FAILURE AND REMODELING IN PULMONARY CAPILLARIESJohn West; Fiscal Year: 2003..In addition, at the more basic level, this research is devoted to a fundamental bioengineering dilemma of the lung, namely, that the blood-gas barrier has to combine extreme thinness with immense strength. ..
- MEASUREMENT OF ADAPTIVE STYLE IN CHILDREN WITH CANCERSean Phipps; Fiscal Year: 2003....
- Impact of Mortality Concerns on Cancer Risk BehaviorJamie Arndt; Fiscal Year: 2006..abstract_text> ..