Genomes and Genes
Summary: Approximate, quantitative reasoning that is concerned with the linguistic ambiguity which exists in natural or synthetic language. At its core are variables such as good, bad, and young as well as modifiers such as more, less, and very. These ordinary terms represent fuzzy sets in a particular problem. Fuzzy logic plays a key role in many medical expert systems.
Publications361 found, 100 shown here
- Logic-based models for the analysis of cell signaling networksMelody K Morris
Center for Cell Decision Process and Department of Biological Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139, USA
Biochemistry 49:3216-24. 2010....
- Training signaling pathway maps to biochemical data with constrained fuzzy logic: quantitative analysis of liver cell responses to inflammatory stimuliMelody K Morris
Center for Cell Decision Processes, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, USA
PLoS Comput Biol 7:e1001099. 2011..To advance beyond this limitation, we propose a novel form of fuzzy logic sufficiently flexible to model quantitative data but also sufficiently simple to efficiently construct models ..
- A climate-based distribution model of malaria transmission in sub-Saharan AfricaM H Craig
National Malaria Research Programme, South African Medical Research Council, PO Box 17120, Congella, Durban 4013, South Africa
Parasitol Today 15:105-11. 1999..Together with population, morbidity and mortality data, the model provides a fundamental tool for strategic control of malaria...
- Bioimpedance-based identification of malnutrition using fuzzy logicS Wieskotten
Technische Universitat Darmstadt, Institute of Automatic Control, Darmstadt, Germany
Physiol Meas 29:639-54. 2008..The differences are evaluated by a fuzzy logic system or a decision tree in order to identify malnourished patients...
- Efficient fuzzy C-means architecture for image segmentationHui Ya Li
Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei 116, Taiwan
Sensors (Basel) 11:6697-718. 2011..Experimental results show that the the proposed circuit is an effective alternative for real-time image segmentation with low area cost and low misclassification rate...
- Classification of the severity of diabetic neuropathy: a new approach taking uncertainties into account using fuzzy logicAndreja P Picon
Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de Sao Paulo, Physical Therapy, Speech and Occupational Therapy Department, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 67:151-6. 2012..This study proposes a new approach that considers uncertainty in predicting and quantifying the presence and severity of diabetic peripheral neuropathy...
- State-time spectrum of signal transduction logic modelsAidan MacNamara
European Bioinformatics Institute EMBL EBI, Wellcome Trust Genome Campus, Cambridge CB10 1SD, UK
Phys Biol 9:045003. 2012..We use a toy model of signal transduction to illustrate how different logic formalisms (Boolean, fuzzy logic and differential equations) treat state and time...
- Adaptive fuzzy segmentation of magnetic resonance imagesD L Pham
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 18:737-52. 1999..Its efficacy is further demonstrated using real 3-D scalar and multispectral MR brain images...
- Clinical signs of pneumonia in children: association with and prediction of diagnosis by fuzzy sets theoryJ C R Pereira
Departamento de Epidemiologia, Hospital das Clinicas, Faculdade de Saude Publica, Universidade de Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, SP, Brazil
Braz J Med Biol Res 37:701-9. 2004..The conclusion is that even though fuzzy sets theory might not improve prediction, it certainly does enhance clinical knowledge since it detects relationships not visible to stochastic models...
- Shape-based computer-aided detection of lung nodules in thoracic CT imagesXujiong Ye
Medicsight PLC, London W14 8UD, UK
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 56:1810-20. 2009..The method's high detection rate, fast computation, and applicability to different imaging conditions and nodule types shows much promise for clinical applications...
- River restoration: the fuzzy logic of repairing reaches to reverse catchment scale degradationEmily S Bernhardt
Department of Biology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708, USA
Ecol Appl 21:1926-31. 2011..Here we briefly summarize this new literature, including the collection of papers within this Invited Feature, and provide our perspective on the limitations of current restoration...
- Anaesthesia monitoring using fuzzy logicMirza Mansoor Baig
School of Engineering, Auckland University of Technology, New Zealand
J Clin Monit Comput 25:339-47. 2011..b>Fuzzy logic-based expert systems, which can mimic human thought processes in complex circumstances, have indicated ..
- Integrating fuzzy logic and statistics to improve the reliable delimitation of biogeographic regions and transition zonesJesus Olivero
Grupo de Biogeografía, Diversidad y Conservación, Departamento de Biologia Animal, Facultad de Ciencias, Universidad de Malaga, 29071 Malaga, Spain
Syst Biol 62:1-21. 2013..Compared with other classification procedures based on fuzzy sets, the novelty of our method is that both fuzzy logic and statistics are used together in a synergy in order to avoid arbitrary decisions in the definition of ..
- A novel kernelized fuzzy C-means algorithm with application in medical image segmentationDao Qiang Zhang
Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Nanjing 210016, PR China
Artif Intell Med 32:37-50. 2004..Experimental results on both synthetic and real MR images show that the proposed algorithms have better performance when noise and other artifacts are present than the standard algorithms...
- A heuristic fuzzy logic approach to EMG pattern recognition for multifunctional prosthesis controlAbidemi Bolu Ajiboye
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center and Prosthetic Research Laboratory, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 13:280-91. 2005This paper presents a heuristic fuzzy logic approach to multiple electromyogram (EMG) pattern recognition for multifunctional prosthesis control...
- Application of adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system for epileptic seizure detection using wavelet feature extractionAbdulhamit Subasi
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Kahramanmaras Sutcu Imam University, Kahramanmaras, Turkey
Comput Biol Med 37:227-44. 2007Intelligent computing tools such as artificial neural network (ANN) and fuzzy logic approaches are demonstrated to be competent when applied individually to a variety of problems...
- Unsupervised fuzzy based vessel segmentation in pathological digital fundus imagesGiri Babu Kande
Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, Vasireddy Venkatadri Institute of Technology, Nambur, Guntur, A P, India
J Med Syst 34:849-58. 2010..9518 and 0.9602 respectively, being superior to those presented by state-of-the-art unsupervised approaches and comparable to those obtained with the supervised methods...
- Autonomous detection of pulmonary nodules on CT images with a neural network-based fuzzy systemDaw Tung Lin
Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Taipei University, 151, University Road, San Shia, Taipei, Taiwan 237, ROC
Comput Med Imaging Graph 29:447-58. 2005..The proposed system is fully automated with fast processing speed. The studies have shown a high potential for implementation of this system in clinical practice as a CAD tool...
- Automatic glioma characterization from dynamic susceptibility contrast imaging: brain tumor segmentation using knowledge-based fuzzy clusteringKyrre E Emblem
Department of Medical Physics, Rikshospitalet University Hospital, Oslo, Norway
J Magn Reson Imaging 30:1-10. 2009....
- A system for brain tumor volume estimation via MR imaging and fuzzy connectednessJianguo Liu
Medical Image Processing Group, Department of Radiology, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, 4th Floor, Blockley Hall, 423 Guardian Drive, PA 19104 6021, USA
Comput Med Imaging Graph 29:21-34. 2005..The methodology is rapid, robust, consistent, yielding highly reproducible measurements, and is likely to become part of the routine evaluation of brain tumor patients in our health system...
- Fuzzy logic and causal reasoning with an 'n' of 1 for diagnosis and treatment of the stroke patientCathy M Helgason
Department of Neurology, University of Illinois College of Medicine in Chicago, 912 South Wood Street, Room 855 N, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Expert Rev Neurother 4:249-54. 2004..This extrapolation is dependent upon the expertise of the physician. A fuzzy logic multivalued-based scientific model allows this expertise to be numerically represented and solves the clinical ..
- The application of fuzzy logic to the prescription of antithrombotic agents in the elderlyCathy M Helgason
Department of Neurology, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago, Chicago, Illinois, USA
Drugs Aging 21:731-6. 2004..An alternative approach to capturing the unique context of each patient is based using fuzzy logic and mathematics. In particular, the fuzzy subsethood theorem of Kosko has direct application here...
- Prediction of protein function improving sequence remote alignment search by a fuzzy logic algorithmAntonio Gomez
Institut de Biotecnologia i Biomedicina, Departament de Bioquímica i Biologia Molecular de la, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, Bellaterra, Barcelona, 08193, Spain
Protein J 27:130-9. 2008..that predicts the putative function for the protein integrating the results from the PSI-BLAST program and a fuzzy logic algorithm is described...
- A fully automated method for quantifying and localizing white matter hyperintensities on MR imagesMinjie Wu
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Pittsburgh, USA
Psychiatry Res 148:133-42. 2006..Given the emergence of large NeuroImage databases, techniques, such as that described here, will allow for a better understanding of the relationship between WMHs and neuropsychiatric disorders...
- Geometric interpretation of gene coexpression network analysisSteve Horvath
Department of Human Genetics, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, California, United States of America
PLoS Comput Biol 4:e1000117. 2008..The unification of coexpression network methods with traditional data mining methods can inform the application and development of systems biologic methods...
- Segmentation and quantification of black holes in multiple sclerosisSushmita Datta
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging, University of Texas Medical School at Houston, 6431 Fannin Street, Houston, 77030, USA
Neuroimage 29:467-74. 2006..Fuzzy connectivity was used for the delineation of black holes. The performance of this algorithm was quantitatively evaluated on 14 MS patients...
- A fuzzy logic based-method for prognostic decision making in breast and prostate cancersHuseyin Seker
Biomedical Computing Research Group BIOCORE, Coventry University, Coventry, UK
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 7:114-22. 2003..The aim of this paper is to investigate the fuzzy k-nearest neighbor (FK-NN) classifier as a fuzzy logic method that provides a certainty degree for prognostic decision and assessment of the markers, and to compare ..
- Improved sensitivity of fuzzy logic based tumor marker profiles for diagnosis of pancreatic carcinoma versus benign pancreatic diseaseU Halm
Medizinische Klinik und Poliklinik II, Universitat Leipzig, 04103 Leipzig, Germany
Anticancer Res 20:4957-60. 2000..This study was performed to find out, whether a classification method based on fuzzy logic analysis of tumor marker profiles is feasible in patients with pancreatic carcinoma and benign pancreatic ..
- Reduction of interference in oscillometric arterial blood pressure measurement using fuzzy logicChin Teng Lin
Department of Electrical and Control Engineering, National Chiao Tung University, Hsinchu 300, Taiwan, ROC
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 50:432-41. 2003..This method includes a fuzzy logic discriminator (FLD) and a recursive regression algorithm...
- Fuzzy logic model to describe anesthetic effect and muscular influence on EEG Cerebral State IndexS Bras
Institute of Electronics and Telematics Engineering of Aveiro IEETA, Universidade de Aveiro, Aveiro 3810 193, Portugal
Res Vet Sci 94:735-42. 2013..This work brings out two novelties: introduction of electromyogram (EMG) and use of fuzzy logic models with ANFIS optimized parameters...
- A methodology for the automated creation of fuzzy expert systems for ischaemic and arrhythmic beat classification based on a set of rules obtained by a decision treeThemis P Exarchos
Unit of Medical Technology and Intelligent Information Systems, Department of Computer Science, University of Ioannina, GR 45110 Ioannina, Greece
Artif Intell Med 40:187-200. 2007..In the current work we propose a methodology for the automated creation of fuzzy expert systems, applied in ischaemic and arrhythmic beat classification...
- Medical data mining by fuzzy modeling with selected featuresSean N Ghazavi
Industrial Engineering Department, Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, LA 70803, USA
Artif Intell Med 43:195-206. 2008..This paper presents a data mining study of medical data with fuzzy modeling methods that use feature subsets selected by some indices/methods...
- Automated mechanical ventilation: adapting decision making to different disease statesS Lozano-Zahonero
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Furtwangen University, Villingen Schwenningen Campus, Jakob Kienzle Straße 17, Villingen Schwenningen, 78054, Germany
Med Biol Eng Comput 49:349-58. 2011..Thus, clinical knowledge can be extended, updated, and the resulting mechanical ventilation therapies can be individually adapted, analyzed, and evaluated...
- Automated segmentation of multiple sclerosis lesions in multispectral MR imaging using fuzzy clusteringA O Boudraa
L2T1, Institut Galilee, Universite Paris 13, Villetanneuse, France
Comput Biol Med 30:23-40. 2000..Any lesion size found to be less than an input bound is eliminated from consideration. Results are presented for test runs of the method on 10 patients. Finally, the potential of the method as well as its limitations are discussed...
- Fuzzy logic and its applications in medicineN H Phuong
Institute of Information Technology, National Center for Natural Science and Technology of Vietnam, Vien Cong Nghe Thong Tin, Nghia Do, Q Cau Giay, Hanoi, Viet Nam
Int J Med Inform 62:165-73. 2001Fuzzy set theory and fuzzy logic are a highly suitable and applicable basis for developing knowledge-based systems in medicine for tasks such as the interpretation of sets of medical findings, syndrome differentiation in Eastern medicine,..
- Posture recognition based on fuzzy logic for home monitoring of the elderlyDamien Brulin
IMS Laboratory, University of Bordeaux 1, Talence, France
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 16:974-82. 2012..The posture recognition method, based on fuzzy logic, identifies four static postures and is robust to variation in the distance between the camera and the person, ..
- Design of a fuzzy-based decision support system for coronary heart disease diagnosisAdel Lahsasna
Faculty of Computer Science and Information of Technology, University of Malaya, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
J Med Syst 36:3293-306. 2012..Furthermore, employing ECS has specifically improved the ability of FRBS to detect patients with CHD which is desirable feature for any CHD diagnosis system...
- Integration of fuzzy logic and structure tensor towards mammogram contrast enhancementJianmin Jiang
School of Informatics, University of Bradford, BD7 1DP Bradford, UK
Comput Med Imaging Graph 29:83-90. 2005In this paper, we describe a combined approach with fuzzy logic and structure tensor towards improved enhancement of possible MCs (microcalcifications) in digital mammograms...
- Neuro-fuzzy classification of prostate cancer using NEFCLASS-JAyturk Keles
Department of Computer Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Ataturk University, 25240 Erzurum, Turkey
Comput Biol Med 37:1617-28. 2007..After a good classifier has been found, other parameters should be investigated to improve this classifier. In the light of this study, we can present a foresight for the diagnosis of the patients with prostate cancer or BPH...
- Towards an accurate and robust method based on fuzzy logic principles for the reconstruction and quantification of large volumes from MR and CT imagesJ M Caudrelier
Department of Radiation Oncology, Ottawa Hospital Regional Cancer Centre, Ottawa, Canada
Br J Radiol 82:228-34. 2009..have previously evaluated a new method of volume reconstruction and quantification from MR images, based on fuzzy logic (FL) principles...
- Fuzzy least squares support vector machines for multiclass problemsDaisuke Tsujinishi
Graduate School of Science and Technology, Kobe University, Rokkodai, Nada, Kobe, Japan
Neural Netw 16:785-92. 2003..Using some benchmark data sets, we show that recognition performance of fuzzy LS-SVMs with the minimum operator is comparable to that of fuzzy SVMs, but fuzzy LS-SVMs with the average operator showed inferior performance...
- User-based motion sensing and fuzzy logic for automated fall detection in older adultsPatrick Boissy
Research Centre on Aging, Sherbrooke Geriatric University Institute, Department of Kinesiology, FEPS, Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
Telemed J E Health 13:683-93. 2007..Automated detection of fall events based on user-based motion sensing and fuzzy logic shows promising results...
- Pairwise ANFIS approach to determining the disorder degree of obstructive sleep apnea syndromeKemal Polat
Electrical and Electronics Engineering Department, Selcuk University, 42035 Konya, Turkey
J Med Syst 32:379-87. 2008..Combining ANFIS and one against all method that is firstly proposed by us was firstly applied for diagnosing the OSAS. The proposed method has produced very promising results in the detecting the obstructive sleep apnea syndrome...
- A framework for fuzzy expert system creation--application to cardiovascular diseasesMarkos G Tsipouras
Unit of Medical Technology and Intelligent Information Systems, Department of Computer Science, University of Ioannina, GR 45110 Ioannina, Greece
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 54:2089-105. 2007..Also, the ability to interpret the decisions of the created fuzzy expert systems is a major advantage compared to "black box" approaches, such as neural networks and other techniques...
- Is it useful to have a clear-cut definition of life? On the use of fuzzy logic in prebiotic chemistryGilles Bruylants
Ingénierie Moléculaire et Biomoléculaire, Universite Libre de Bruxelles, Belgium, 50 Av F D Roosevelt, 1050 Brussels, Belgium
Orig Life Evol Biosph 40:137-43. 2010..b>Fuzzy logic provides a natural way to deal with problems where class membership lacks sharply defined criteria...
- The control of blood glucose in the critical diabetic patient: a neuro-fuzzy methodD Dazzi
Cattedra di Endocrinologia, Dipartimento di Medicina, Universita' di Parma, Parma, Italy
J Diabetes Complications 15:80-7. 2001..Thus, we applied fuzzy logic principles and neural network techniques to modify intravenous insulin administration rates during glucose ..
- A fuzzy logic approach to marine spatial managementLydia C L Teh
Fisheries Centre, University of British Columbia, 2202 Main Mall, Vancouver, BC, V6T1Z4, Canada
Environ Manage 47:536-45. 2011..We propose a fuzzy logic framework that will facilitate this task- The protected area suitability index (PASI) combines fishers' spatial ..
- Proposed clinical application for tuning fuzzy logic controller of artificial pancreas utilizing a personalization factorRichard Mauseth
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA
J Diabetes Sci Technol 4:913-22. 2010..Physicians tailor insulin dosing based on blood glucose goals, response to insulin, compliance, lifestyle, eating habits, daily schedule, and fear of and ability to detect hypoglycemia...
- A fuzzy clustering based segmentation system as support to diagnosis in medical imagingF Masulli
Istituto Nazionale per la Fisica della Materia and Dipartimento di Informatica e Scienze dell Informazio ne, Universita di Genova, Italy
Artif Intell Med 16:129-47. 1999..Furthermore, a discussion is presented about the role of fuzzy clustering as a support to diagnosis in medical imaging...
- An experimental comparison of fuzzy logic and analytic hierarchy process for medical decision support systemsFaith Michael Emeka Uzoka
Department of Computer Science and Information Systems, Mount Royal University, 4825 Mount Royal Gate SW, Calgary, Canada T3E6K6
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 103:10-27. 2011..The fuzzy logic is able to handle vagueness and unstructuredness in decision making, while the AHP has the ability to carry out ..
- Cytological image analysis with a genetic fuzzy finite state machineJ Estevez
Departamento de Fisica Fundamental y Experimental, Electronica y Sistemas, University of La Laguna, Tenerife, Spain
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 80:S3-S15. 2005..Furthermore, the effectiveness of this method as a pattern classifier is compared with other existing supervised and unsupervised methods and evaluated with Receiver Operating Curves (ROC) methodology...
- Supervisory control of wastewater treatment plants by combining principal component analysis and fuzzy c-means clusteringC Rosen
Dept of Industrial Electrical Engineering and Automation, Lund University, Box 118, 221 00 Lund, Sweden
Water Sci Technol 43:147-56. 2001..The results show that the methodology can be used to determine and co-ordinate control actions in order to shift the control objective and improve the effluent quality...
- Adaptable fuzzy C-Means for improved classification as a preprocessing procedure of brain parcellationU C Yoon
Department of Biomedical Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea
J Digit Imaging 14:238-40. 2001..We propose improved classification using successive fuzzy clustering and implementing the parcellation module with the modified graphic user interface (GUI) for the convenience of users...
- Risk factors of oral candidosis: a twofold approach of study by fuzzy logic and traditional statisticG Campisi
Department of Oral Sciences, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Arch Oral Biol 53:388-97. 2008..assess a panel of risk factors associated to oral candidosis (OC) onset and its chronic maintenance by means of fuzzy logic (FL) approach and statistical traditional methodology (STM); to investigate their casual relationship within a ..
- Automated diagnosis of coronary artery disease based on data mining and fuzzy modelingMarkos G Tsipouras
Unit of Medical Technology and Intelligent Information Systems, Department of Computer Science, University of Ioannina, Ioannina GR 45110, Greece
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 12:447-58. 2008..The system offers several advantages since it is automatically generated, it provides CAD diagnosis based on easily and noninvasively acquired features, and is able to provide interpretation for the decisions made...
- Fuzzy logic-based spike sorting systemKarthikeyan Balasubramanian
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering and Architecture, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 19122, USA
J Neurosci Methods 198:125-34. 2011We present a new method for autonomous real-time spike sorting using a fuzzy logic inference engine...
- Multiple fuzzy neural network system for outcome prediction and classification of 220 lymphoma patients on the basis of molecular profilingTatsuya Ando
Department of Biotechnology, School of Engineering, Nagoya University, Chikusa ku, Nagoya 464 8603, Japan
Cancer Sci 94:906-13. 2003..The present paper is the first to describe the multiple noninferior FNN modeling system. This system is a powerful tool for predicting outcome and classifying patients, and is applicable to other heterogeneous diseases...
- An architecture for performance optimization in a collaborative knowledge-based approach for wireless sensor networksManuel Angel Gadeo-Martos
Telecommunications Department, University of Jaen, Alfonso X El Sabio 28, Linares, Jaen 23700, Spain
Sensors (Basel) 11:9136-59. 2011..The results show that the architecture presented in this paper significantly decreases the consumption of resources (memory, CPU and battery) without a substantial decrease in the accuracy of the inferred values...
- Severity classification for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis by using fuzzy logicAgnaldo Jose Lopes
Pulmonary Function Laboratory, State University of Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Clinics (Sao Paulo) 66:1015-9. 2011..To set out a severity classification for idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF) based on the interaction of pulmonary function parameters with high resolution computed tomography (CT) findings...
- Fuzzy logic-based tumor marker profiles including a new marker tumor M2-PK improved sensitivity to the detection of progression in lung cancer patientsJoachim Schneider
Institut und Poliklinik für Arbeits und Sozialmedizin, Justus Liebig Universitat, Aulweg 129 III, 35385 Giessen, Germany
Anticancer Res 23:899-906. 2003..was to improve diagnostic efficiency in the detection of tumor progression in lung cancer patients by using fuzzy logic modeling in combination with a tumor marker panel (Tumor M2-PK, CYFRA 21-1, CEA, NSE and SCC)...
- Fuzzy modeling in symptomatic HIV virus infected populationRosana Motta Jafelice
Faculty of Mathematics, Federal University of Uberlandia, Uberlandia, MG, Brazil
Bull Math Biol 66:1597-620. 2004..Its behavior fits the natural history of HIV infection reported in the medical science domain. The paper also includes a comparison between the fuzzy model and a classic Anderson's model using data reported in the literature...
- A 3-D active shape model driven by fuzzy inference: application to cardiac CT and MRHans C van Assen
Division of Image Processing, Department of Radiology, Leiden University Medical Center, 2300 RC Leiden, The Netherlands
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 12:595-605. 2008..Without retraining its statistical shape component, it is applicable to routinely acquired CT and MR studies...
- Automatic determination of aortic compliance with cine-magnetic resonance imaging: an application of fuzzy logic theoryAlain Lalande
Laboratoire de Biophysique, Faculte de Medecine, Universite de Bourgogne, Dijon, France
Invest Radiol 37:685-91. 2002..However, manual tracing of the aortic contour is subject to important interobserver variations. To estimate the aortic compliance from cine-MRI, a method based on fuzzy logic theory was elaborated.
- Treatment response assessment of breast masses on dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance scans using fuzzy c-means clustering and level set segmentationJiazheng Shi
Department of Radiology, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor Michigan 48109 5842, USA
Med Phys 36:5052-63. 2009..641). The automated mass segmentation method may have the potential to assist physicians in monitoring volume change in breast masses in response to treatment...
- Fuzzy-control of a hand orthosis for restoring tip pinch, lateral pinch, and cylindrical prehensions to patients with elbow flexion intactN Petroff
Mechanical Engineering Department, University of Florida, Gainesville 32611, USA
IEEE Trans Neural Syst Rehabil Eng 9:225-31. 2001This study examines, through simulation, the use of fuzzy logic as a feasible control scheme for a hand orthosis that can restore fingertip pinch, lateral pinch, and cylindrical grasps to individuals suffering from C5-C7 spinal cord ..
- Medical concepts related to individual risk are better explained with "plausibility" rather than "probability"Enzo Grossi
Medical Department, Bracco SpA Milan, Italy
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 5:31. 2005..Few articles by the way have tried to focus the concept of "risk" at the individual subject level rather than at population level...
- Fuzzy epidemicsEduardo Massad
School of Public Health and School of Medicine, The University of Sao Paulo, Avenue Dr Arnaldo 455, 01246 903 Sao Paulo, Brazil
Artif Intell Med 29:241-59. 2003The purpose of this paper is to provide a review of the current state of fuzzy logic theory in epidemiology, which is a recent area of research...
- Statistical versus fuzzy measures of variable interaction in patients with strokeC M Helgason
Department of Neurology and Psychiatry, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Chicago, Ill, 60611, USA
Neuroepidemiology 20:77-84. 2001..A difference in measure of variable interaction in the patient from that in the collective would show how extrapolation of information from the latter to the single patient is counterintuitive...
- [Video-electroencephalography prolonged monitoring in patients with ambulatory diagnosis of medically refractory temporal lobe epilepsy: application of fuzzy logic's model]M E Cosenza-Andraus
Servicio de Neurologia, Hospital Universitario Clementino Fraga Filho HUCFF, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Rev Neurol 43:7-14. 2006..The fuzzy logic gives an efficient and intelligent analysis method, able to make inferences over ambiguous systems, and has ..
- Fuzzy logic and decision-making in anaestheticsPaul Grant
Department of Anaesthetics, Timaru Hospital, Queen Street, Timaru, South Canterbury Private Bag 911, New Zealand
J R Soc Med 98:7-9. 2005
- Fuzzy logic for elimination of redundant information of microarray dataEdmundo Bonilla Huerta
LERIA, Universite d Angers, 2 Boulevard Lavoisier, 49045 Angers, France
Genomics Proteomics Bioinformatics 6:61-73. 2008..To cope with these difficulties, this paper introduces a fuzzy logic based pre-processing approach composed of two main steps...
- Probabilistic and fuzzy logic in the clinical diagnosisL Pagliaro
Intern Emerg Med 2:75; discussion 100-6. 2007
- Fully automatic segmentation of white matter hyperintensities in MR images of the elderlyF Admiraal-Behloul
Department of Radiology, C2S, Leiden University Medical Center, PO Box 9600, 2300 RC, Leiden, The Netherlands
Neuroimage 28:607-17. 2005....
- From vagueness in medical thought to the foundations of fuzzy reasoning in medical diagnosisRudolf Seising
Section on Medical Expert and Knowledge Based Systems, Core Unit for Medical Statistics and Informatics, Medical University of Vienna, Spitalgasse 23, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Artif Intell Med 38:237-56. 2006....
- Fuzzy logic-based tumor-marker profiles improved sensitivity in the diagnosis of lung cancerJoachim Schneider
Institut und Poliklinik für Arbeits und Socialmedizin der Justus Liebig Universität, Giessen, Germany
Int J Clin Oncol 7:145-51. 2002The aim of this study was to improve the diagnostic efficiency of tumor markers in the diagnosis of lung cancer, by the mathematical evaluation of a tumor marker profile employing fuzzy logic modelling.
- Application of fuzzy logic in automated cow status monitoringR M de Mol
Institute of Agricultural and Environmental Engineering IMAG, Wageningen, The Netherlands
J Dairy Sci 84:400-10. 2001..The occurrence of false-positive alerts, generated by a detection model, creates problems in practice. We used fuzzy logic to classify mastitis and estrus alerts; our objective was to reduce the number of false-positive alerts and not ..
- Fuzzy logic control for intracranial pressure via continuous propofol sedation in a neurosurgical intensive care unitSheng Jean Huang
Department of Surgery, National Taiwan University Hospital, Taipei, Taiwan
Med Eng Phys 28:639-47. 2006..and mechanical ventilation in order to reduce the effect of agitation on intracranial pressure (ICP) using fuzzy logic control in a neurosurgical intensive care unit (NICU)...
- Adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference systems for automatic detection of breast cancerElif Derya Ubeyli
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, TOBB Ekonomi ve Teknoloji Universitesi, Ankara, Turkey
J Med Syst 33:353-8. 2009..The proposed ANFIS model combined the neural network adaptive capabilities and the fuzzy logic qualitative approach...
- Can fuzzy logic make things more clear?Jan A Hazelzet
Pediatric ICU, Erasmus MC, Sophia, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Crit Care 13:116. 2009..Clinical decision support and artificial intelligence using fuzzy logic and closed loop techniques are methods that might help us to handle this complexity in a safe, effective and ..
- Applying fuzzy logic to medical decision making in the intensive care unitJason H T Bates
HSRF, Room 228, University of Vermont, 149 Beaumont Avenue, Burlington, VT 05405 0075, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 167:948-52. 2003
- HPV infection in relation to OSCC histological grading and TNM stage. Evaluation by traditional statistics and fuzzy logic modelG Campisi
Dipartimento di Scienze Stomatologiche, Universita di Palermo, Via del Vespro 129, 90127 Palermo, Italy
Oral Oncol 42:638-45. 2006..between histological grading (HG), TNM clinical stage and HPV infection; and to study the performance of fuzzy logic compared to traditional statistics, in the analysis of HPV status and correlates of OSCC...
- Comparison of the applicability of rule-based and self-organizing fuzzy logic controllers for sedation control of intracranial pressure pattern in a neurosurgical intensive care unitJiann Shing Shieh
Department of Mechanical Engineering, Yuan Ze University, Chung Li, Taoyuan, Taiwan
IEEE Trans Biomed Eng 53:1700-5. 2006This paper assesses the controller performance of a self-organizing fuzzy logic controller (SOFLC) in comparison with a routine clinical rule-base controller (RBC) for sedation control of intracranial pressure (ICP) pattern...
- Morphology and morphometry in chronic spinal cord injury assessed using diffusion tensor imaging and fuzzy logicBenjamin M Ellingson
Dept of Biomed Eng, Marquette Univ, Milwaukee, WI 53201, USA
Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 1:1885-8. 2006..Furthermore, the use of a fuzzy logic algorithm to segment regions of gray and white matter within the spinal cord based on these anisotropy ..
- The use of fuzzy logic to select which curves need to be instrumented and fused in adolescent idiopathic scoliosis: a feasibility studyMarie Lyne Nault
Division of Orthopedics, Sainte Justine Hospital, 3175 Cote Sainte Catherine Road, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3T 1C5
J Spinal Disord Tech 20:594-603. 2007..Our objective is to capture the proposed rules for the selection of fusion levels and integrate them in a fuzzy logic model to decrease haziness and imprecision in the selection process...
- A fuzzy c-means (FCM)-based approach for computerized segmentation of breast lesions in dynamic contrast-enhanced MR imagesWeijie Chen
University of Chicago, Radiology, 584 South Maryland, MC Chicago, IL, USA
Acad Radiol 13:63-72. 2006..We developed a computerized lesion segmentation method that has the advantage of being automatic, efficient, and objective...
- Trabecular bone fracture healing simulation with finite element analysis and fuzzy logicSandra J Shefelbine
Institute for Orthopaedics and Biomechanics, Helmholtzstrasse 14, 89081 Ulm, Germany
J Biomech 38:2440-50. 2005..Using finite element analysis and the fuzzy logic for diaphyseal healing, the model simulated formation of woven bone in the fracture gap and subsequent ..
- Prevention of dialysis hypotension episodes using fuzzy logic control systemElena Mancini
Malpighi Nephrology Department, Dialysis and Hypertension Division, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Via P Palagi 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Nephrol Dial Transplant 22:1420-7. 2007..Due to complex BP regulation under dynamic dialysis conditions, BP itself appears to be the most consistent input parameter for a device addressed to preventing dialysis hypotension (DH)...
- Probabilistic and fuzzy logic in clinical diagnosisG Licata
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, University of Palermo, Via Catania 166, I 90141, Palermo, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 2:100-6. 2007In this study I have compared classic and fuzzy logic and their usefulness in clinical diagnosis...
- Artificial intelligence in medicineA N Ramesh
The University of Hull Academic Surgical Unit, Castle Hill Hospital, Cottingham, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 86:334-8. 2004..Their potential to exploit meaningful relationship with in a data set can be used in the diagnosis, treatment and predicting outcome in many clinical scenarios...
- Classification of EMG signals using neuro-fuzzy system and diagnosis of neuromuscular diseasesSabri Koçer
Department of Electronic and Computer Education, Faculty of Technical Education, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
J Med Syst 34:321-9. 2010..Coefficients that were obtained from the EMG signals using Autoregressive (AR) analysis was applied to neuro-fuzzy system. The classification performance of the feature sets was investigated for three classes...
- Evaluation of pulmonary function tests by using fuzzy logic theoryUmit Uncü
Programming Department, HASTEK Ltd Sti, Ankara, Turkey
J Med Syst 34:241-50. 2010..Fuzziness encountered during PFT is very important. In this study, the purpose is to use "fuzzy logic" approach to facilitate reliable and fast interpretation of PFT graphical outputs...
- Evidence-based medicine or fuzzy logic: what is best for ARDS management?Didier Dreyfuss
Intensive Care Med 28:230-4. 2002
- Fuzzy Logic in neurosurgery: predicting poor outcomes after lumbar disk surgery in 501 consecutive patientsMuhammad Shahzad Shamim
Section of Neurosurgery, Department of Surgery, Aga Khan University Hospital, P O Box 3500, Stadium Road, Karachi 74800, Pakistan
Surg Neurol 72:565-72; discussion 572. 2009..We have used Fuzzy Logic-based fuzzy inference system (FIS) for identifying patients unlikely to improve after disk surgery and explored ..
- A fuzzy logic-based decision support system on anesthetic depth control for helping anesthetists in surgeriesHamdi Melih Saraoğlu
Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Dumlupinar University, Kutahya, Turkey
J Med Syst 31:511-9. 2007In this study, a fuzzy logic-based anesthetic depth decision support system (ADDSS) was realized for anesthetic depth control to help anesthetists in surgeries...
- Fuzzy logic and mechanical ventilationJ H Bates
Department of Medicine, Vermont Lung Center, The University of Vermont, Colchester Research Facility, Clochester, Vermont, USA
Respir Care Clin N Am 7:363-77, vii. 2001..When a patient is in respiratory failure, the effector's role is taken over by a mechanical ventilator. The issue that is considered in this article is how the physician might be taken out of the feedback loop...
- Diagnosing reservoir water quality using self-organizing maps and fuzzy theoryRuei Shan Lu
Graduate Institute of Environmental Engineering, National Taiwan University, Taipei, ROC
Water Res 36:2265-74. 2002..If special water quality conditions are expressed on the SOM output, those data can reveal that either total phosphorus (TP) or chlorophyll A (chl a) is higher than usual...
- Survey of fuzzy logic applications in brain-related researchesOmer Faruk Bay
Department of Electronics and Computer Education, Faculty of Technical Education, Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey
J Med Syst 27:215-23. 2003The aim of this study was to survey fuzzy logic (FL) applications in brain researches...
- Fuzzy logic in a patient supervision systemS Barro
University of Santiago de Compostela, Spain
Artif Intell Med 21:193-9. 2001..supervision system in progress for intensive and coronary care units, focused on patients with acute myocardial infarct is briefly described particularly regarding the role that fuzzy logic is playing in its design, and why this is so.
- Improving decisionmaking processes with the fuzzy logic approach in the epidemiology of sleep disordersM M Ohayon
Sleep Disorders Center, Stanford University School of Medicine, CA 94305, USA
J Psychosom Res 47:297-311. 1999..For this purpose, an expert system was developed for the assessment of sleep disorders and endowed with the fuzzy logic capabilities necessary to determine the degree to which a given symptom corresponds to a specific diagnosis...
- Automated classification of multispectral MR images using unsupervised constrained energy minimization based on fuzzy logicGeng Cheng Lin
Department of Electrical Engineering, National Central University, Jhongli, Taiwan, ROC
Magn Reson Imaging 28:721-38. 2010..Experimental results demonstrate that UCEM segments a multispectral MR image much more effectively than either Functional MRI of the Brain's (FMRIB's) automated segmentation tool or fuzzy C-means does...
- Using fuzzy logic to predict response to citalopram in alcohol dependenceC A Naranjo
Psychopharmacology Research Program, Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Clin Pharmacol Ther 62:209-24. 1997..We hypothesized that fuzzy logic, a qualitative computational approach, could predict response to 40 mg/day citalopram and 40 mg/day citalopram ..
- Advanced Hypoglycemia Prevention Capabilities in Fuzzy Logic Artificial PancreasRichard Mauseth; Fiscal Year: 2012..g., unmeasured meal size and frequent insulin sensitivity variations. Model-free approaches, such as fuzzy logic (FL) control offer a different and promising direction for improved glycemic control...
- Cross-frequency integration for speech recognition in bimodal hearingYing Yee Kong; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will apply several well-developed speech integration models, including a simple probabilistic model, Fuzzy Logic Model of Perception, and Pre-Labeling and Post- Labeling models to predict intelligibility scores for combined ..
- A BREATH TEST FOR LUNG CANCERMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2009..In a study of 451 subjects, a two-minute breath test for VOC biomarkers of lung cancer combined with fuzzy logic analysis of data predicted all TNM stages of disease with 84.6% sensitivity, 80.0% specificity and 0...
- Computerized Orthotic Prescription System - COPSToshiki Kobayashi; Fiscal Year: 2011..The fuzzy logic algorithm for prediction of improper stiffness will be developed through input of data collected for known ..
- Peptide Biomarker Discovery by Mass Spectrometry for Early Detection of Liver CanHabtom Ressom; Fiscal Year: 2009..The specific aims are the following: (1) To develop fuzzy logic based methods to detect and calibrate MS peaks...
- PORTABLE DEFIBRILLATOR FUZZY-LOGIC-BASED BATTERY METERPritpal Singh; Fiscal Year: 2003..University are collaborating in the pioneering development of an innovative, powerful approach, based on fuzzy logic, to battery SOC and SOH determination that is reliable, accurate, and economical...
- PORTABLE DEFIBRILLATOR FUZZY-LOGIC-BASED BATTERY METERCRAIG FENNIE; Fiscal Year: 2000..and Villanova are collaborating in the pioneering development of an innovative powerful approach, based on fuzzy logic, to battery SOC and SOH determination that is both reliable and cost effective...
- Automatic Detection of Critical Dermoscopy Features for Melanoma DiagnosisWilliam Stoecker; Fiscal Year: 2007..of a probability density function to specify single and paired melanoma colors via cluster methods and fuzzy logic techniques 4) identifying critical structural features including brown globules, abrupt border cutoff, ..
- Detection of chewing and swallowing to estimate eating patterns and energy intakeEdward Sazonov; Fiscal Year: 2006..Modern methods of computational intelligence such as artificial neural networks and fuzzy logic will be used along with statistical methods to achieve the highest 'accuracy of pattern recognition...
- Identification of Critical Dermoscopic FeaturesWilliam Stoecker; Fiscal Year: 2003..representation of a probability density function to specify melanoma colors via cluster methods and fuzzy logic techniques 3) identifying critical structural features including brown globules, abrupt border cutoff, ..
- LiverTox: Advanced QSAR and Toxicogenomic Software for Hepatoxicity PredictionKATHERINE YURACKO; Fiscal Year: 2007..to each make toxicity endpoint predictions drawing upon its knowledge base and its similarity analysis/fuzzy logic/statistical training...
- AUTOMATED SLEEP STAGING FOR LABORATORY AND PORTABLE USEALEX MENKES; Fiscal Year: 1999..described in Rechtschaffen and Kales' manual for sleep staging using a combination of neural network and fuzzy logic signal processing technology...
- AUTOMATED RESPIRATORY EVENT SCORING SYSTEMAMY BRISBEN; Fiscal Year: 2001..Using neural network and fuzzy logic technology, the algorithms will implement the somnologist's criteria and his preferred recording montage...
- DETECTING SITES AT RISK OF BECOMING FOCI OF LYME DISEASEJEFFREY MILLSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 1993..The investigator's approach is to implement fuzzy logic inferencing procedures as computer software so that these techniques can be applied to a public health problem ..
- PHASE RESETTING AND SENSORY INHIBITION IN THE CNSNashaat Boutros; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, we will demonstrate that both processes are deficient in schizophrenia patients. Utilizing a fuzzy logic technique and a single trial analysis method (both developed by this group) evoked potential data containing ..
- VOLATILE MARKERS OF PULMONARY TUBERCULOSIS IN THE BREATHMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2006..1% sensitivity and 95.1% specificity. Fuzzy logic analysis of breath VOCs predicted active pulmonary tuberculosis infection with sensitivity = 100% and ..
- VOLATILE MARKERS OF ORAL MALODOR IN THE BREATHMichael Phillips; Fiscal Year: 2004....
- A Multiethnic Internet Study on Menopausal SymptomsEun Ok Im; Fiscal Year: 2008....
- Cancer Pain Management-Decision Support Computer ProgramEun Ok Im; Fiscal Year: 2007..Using theoretical triangulation, a feminist approach and fuzzy logic will guide the research process...
- PERCEPTION OF VISIBLE AND BIMODAL SPEECHDOMINIC MASSARO; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- A Treatment Decision Modeling and Optimizing TechnologyHao Ying; Fiscal Year: 2005..It can be used to objectively and quantitatively analyze and compare different treatment options and selections, either prospectively or retrospectively. ..
- Modulation of T Cell Activation and Tolerance by DRAK2CRAIG MICHAEL WALSH; Fiscal Year: 2010..These results are aimed at providing a more thorough understanding of negative regulation of T cell activation, and how such negative regulation contributes to immune tolerance. ..
- Preserving Privacy in Medical Data SetsStaal Vinterbo; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] (3) Evaluation of disclosure control algorithms. We will evaluate algorithms for disclosure control developed by our group and others using the tool described in (2). [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Developmental Neurotoxicity of Phthalate EstersBernard Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2008..The proposed research will examine this question in rats, and translate its implications into human relevance. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Low dose digital X-rays for mammographic screeningChristopher Vaughan; Fiscal Year: 2006..During the last 6 months of the project in phase 2, we will conduct a limited clinical trial of 20 patients, focusing on comfort, breast coverage and diagnostic equivalence. ..
- Standardizing CT Assessment of Pulmonary ParenchymaJuerg Tschirren; Fiscal Year: 2006..Developing AMFM into a screening tool to complement lung cancer screening for at-risk patients is another option we are exploring for the long-term. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Neurotoxic Interactions of Different Forms of MercuryBernard Weiss; Fiscal Year: 2007..The acquisition of these data offers a firm foundation for determining the risks to neurobehavioral development of concurrent exposures to both mercury species. ..
- Pulmonary Lobar Analysis by 3D Surface DetectionJuerg Tschirren; Fiscal Year: 2007..The proposed methods are urgently needed to take advantage of emerging therapies for the early treatment of lung disease. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Growth Regulation of Activated T Cells by FADDCraig Walsh; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- ACCISS: Activating Collaborative CIS Support ServicesBonnie Spring; Fiscal Year: 2007..The study examines the impact on medical follow-up and provider-patient communication. [unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- CARBOHYDRATE CRAVING: BEHAVIOR/PSYCHOBIOLOGICAL FEATURESBonnie Spring; Fiscal Year: 2001..Results will indicate whether CHO cravers show an increased family prevalence of diabetes and display evidence of insulin resistance and blunting of the expected rise in the tryptophan ratio and leptin concentration after CHO intake. ..
- FLUOXETINE AS A QUIT SMOKING AID FOR DEPRESSION PRONEBonnie Spring; Fiscal Year: 2001....