Summary: The principles of proper professional conduct concerning the rights and duties of the pharmacist, relations with patients and fellow practitioners, as well as actions of the pharmacist in health care and interpersonal relations with patient families. (From Stedman, 25th ed)
- "Death was a blessing"--should it ever be pharmaceutically hastened? British pharmacists' viewsElizabeth A Hackett
Pharmacy Department, St Thomas Hospital, Lambeth Palace Road, London SE1 7EH, UK
Pharm World Sci 25:288-93. 2003..To investigate the views and experiences of British pharmacists in physician-assisted suicide (PAS) and voluntary active euthanasia (VAE) and to examine whether differences in views were associated with personal characteristics...
- Medication error reporting by community pharmacists in VermontAmanda G Kennedy
Division of General Internal Medicine, College of Medicine, University of Vermont, 371 Pearl Street, Burlington, VT 05401, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 44:434-8. 2004..To document community pharmacists' awareness and use of the United States Pharmacopeia Medication Errors Reporting (USP MER) program...
- Conscientious objection and collaborative practice: conflicting or complementary initiatives?Susan C Winckler
American Pharmacists Association, Washington, DC 20037 2985, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 46:12-3. 2006
- Conscientious objection: a pharmacist's right or professional negligence?Emily W Evans
College of Pharmacy, University of Louisiana at Monroe, Shreveport, LA 71103, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 64:139-41. 2007
- Blowing the whistle: a pharmacist's vexing experience unraveledJeffrey Fudin
Stratton Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Albany, NY 12054, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 63:2262-5. 2006
- Moral courage through a collective voiceJulie Aultman
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine, Kent, OH 44240, USA
Am J Bioeth 8:67-9; author reply W3-4. 2008
- Medical pluralism in action? A case study of community pharmacies in Johannesburg, South AfricaLeah Gilbert
Department of Sociology, School of Social Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
J Altern Complement Med 10:547-55. 2004..The main aim of this study was to examine whether, and to what extent, community pharmacies have become sites for the practice of complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) as an example of "medical pluralism."..
- Pharmacists around the globe meet in New OrleansCheryl A Thompson
Am J Health Syst Pharm 61:2238-40. 2004
- The ethics of off-label use of drugs: oncology pharmacy in ItalyA Bernardi
Istituto Oncologico Veneto IRCCS, Padova, Italy
J Clin Pharm Ther 33:95-9. 2008..The pharmacist has to maintain his/her professional integrity, and orient it towards accurate evaluation of the so-called 'circumstances of compromise in ethics'...
- Developing a European framework for research on children's medicines: an examination of the proposed EU regulation on medicinal products for paediatric useHannsjörg W Seyberth
Philipps University, Marburg, Germany
Pediatr Nephrol 20:1537-40. 2005
- "We are white coats whirling round"--moral distress in Swedish pharmaciesSofia Kälvemark Sporrong
Department of Public Health and Caring Sciences, Uppsala Science Park, 751 85, Uppsala, Sweden
Pharm World Sci 27:223-9. 2005..There are very few similar studies in pharmacy settings. This article reports on the results of an investigation concerning whether and in what situations moral distress is present in pharmacy practice...
- [Is the pharmaceutical industry really as bad as its reputation?]Enrique H Prat
Imabe Institut für medizinische Anthropologie und Bioethik, Wien, Austria
Wien Med Wochenschr 155:502-12. 2005..People have to consume pharmaceutical products even though they do not like doing so, and therefore cannot be expected to champion the cause of the branch. It needs to adopt another strategy in order to improve its image...
- Evaluation of consultation in community pharmacies with mystery shoppersDietrich Alte
Institute of Epidemiology and Social Medicine, Ernst Moritz Arndt Universitat Greifswald, Greifswald, Germany
Ann Pharmacother 41:1023-30. 2007..Consultation of patients in community pharmacies (CPs) must meet standards, especially in selling over-the-counter drugs; however, there has been no information as to whether northeastern German CPs meet these standards...
- Two cheers for conscience exceptionsAdrienne Asch
Wurzweiler School of Social Work, USA
Hastings Cent Rep 36:11-2. 2006
- Pharmacist-patient relationship development in an ambulatory clinic settingC J Hermansen
Division of Social and Administrative Sciences, University of Wisconsin-Madison, School of Pharmacy, 53705-2222, USA
Health Commun 13:307-25. 2001..05). Findings suggested that patients' perceptions of their pharmacists, and not their therapy, may lead to increased interpersonal exchange and patient collaboration in care...
- Consistent standards in medication use: the need to care for patients from research to practiceChristina L Cipolle
College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota, 308 Harvard Street S E, Minneapolis, MN 55455 0343, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 46:205-12. 2006..To propose adoption of practice standards for pharmacists based on the principles of pharmaceutical care that are parallel to internationally accepted ethical precepts governing clinical research...
- Gene therapy: applications to pharmacy practiceRobert I Roth
The Weinberg Group, San Francisco, Calif 94105, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 42:692, 694-8. 2002
- Future pharmacists have many questions to ponderEmily Stamos
School of Pharmacy, University of Wisconsin-Madison, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 44:424, 426. 2004
- Re: Bioethics, the Surviving Sepsis Campaign, and the industryGeorg Roggla
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:65. 2006
- Re: Bioethics, the Surviving Sepsis Campaign, and the industryAlasdair F Mackenzie
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:64. 2006
- [Medical ethics as output of economically motivated industrial objectives]U H Bode
Vereinigung pharmazeutischer Unternehmen, Zieglergasse 5, A 1072 Wien
Wien Med Wochenschr 152:309-12. 2002..Possible ethical deficiencies arising from a lack of direct contact of the patient with industry and the quasi-penalisation of patients because of faulty lifestyle are briefly discussed...
- For debate: is the influence of the pharmaceutical industry on prescribing, research and publication in the field of psychogeriatrics excessive?David Ames
University of Melbourne, Australia
Int Psychogeriatr 19:1003. 2007
- Unsolicited fluoxetine mailing triggers investigation in USAMarilynn Larkin
Lancet 360:234. 2002
- Plea for better communication and interactionTerence J Ryan
Wound Repair Regen 10:342. 2002
- [For and against: does sponsoring impede the growth of knowledge in medicine?]Asmus Finzen
Psychiatr Prax 34:162-4. 2007
- Pharmaceutical companies and the third worldSanjay A Pai
Lancet 361:1136-7. 2003
- Prescriber profilingAlexander C Tsai
Ann Intern Med 148:81. 2008
- Pharmaceutical drug promotion: how it is being practiced in India?A Lal
Clinical Pharmacology Unit, Department of Pharmacology, University College of Medical Sciences and GTB Hospital, Shahdara, Delhi 110 095, India
J Assoc Physicians India 49:266-73. 2001..Various medical and consumer groups should also intervene to improve the scenario of promotion...
- Prescriber profilingAdriane Fugh-Berman
Ann Intern Med 148:82. 2008
- Prescriber profilingStephen E Pratt
Ann Intern Med 148:81-2. 2008
- Need to develop a legal and ethical base for pharmaceutical care. 1994Richard A Hutchinson
Ann Pharmacother 41:1281-3. 2007
- Ethical, scientific, and educational concerns with unproven medicationsW Steven Pray
College of Pharmacy, Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Weatherford, OK 73096, USA
Am J Pharm Educ 70:141. 2006..They must stress the value of evidence-based medicine and urge students and pharmacists to recommend only those medications with evidence-based proof of safety and efficacy...
- Prescriber profiling: time to call it quitsDavid Grande
Ann Intern Med 146:751-2. 2007
- Pharmaceutical marketing research and the prescribing physicianJeremy A Greene
Brigham and Women s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Ann Intern Med 146:742-8. 2007..Examination of the role of physicians and physician organizations in the development of prescriber profiling is directly relevant to the contemporary policy debate surrounding this issue...
- Efficacy and safety of pramipexole in restless legs syndromeStefan P Kruszewski
Neurology 68:1641; author reply 1641-2. 2007
- Doctors behaving badly?Martin H N Tattersall
Med J Aust 185:299-300. 2006
- History of Pharmacy Museum of the Faculty of Pharmacy University of BelgradeDusanka Krajnovic
Faculty of Pharmacy, Institute for Social Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Legislation, Belgrade, Serbia
Acta Med Hist Adriat 7:179-90. 2009....
- A new prescription for empirical ethics research in pharmacy: a critical review of the literatureR J Cooper
Centre for Pharmacy, Health and Society, The University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
J Med Ethics 33:82-6. 2007..A descriptive and critical review of the extant empirical pharmacy ethics literature is provided here...
- Influence of attitudes toward curriculum on dishonest academic behaviorZubin Austin
Leslie Dan Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Toronto, Canada
Am J Pharm Educ 70:50. 2006....
- [What kind of ethical education for pharmacists is necessary? Can "the core curriculum model for pharmacology education" provide the needed guidance?]Jun Matsuda
Shizuoka University, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, Shizuoka, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 129:807-13. 2009..Humanism-based ethics are too narrow for pharmacy ethics. Pharmacy students should learn a more comprehensive ethics that covers social ethics, bioethics, and ..
- A comparative pilot study of the professional ethical thinking of Quebec pharmacy residents and French pharmacy internsKarin Scharr
Unité de Recherche en Pratique Pharmaceutique, CHU Sainte Justine, Montreal, QC, Canada
Int J Clin Pharm 33:974-84. 2011..The secondary objective is to compare the professional ethical thinking of Quebec pharmacy residents and first year French pharmacy interns...
- What patients think about promotional activities of pharmaceutical companies in TurkeySemih Semin
Department of Medical Ethics, Dokuz Eylul University, Medical Faculty Inciralti, Izmir, 35340, Turkey
Pharm World Sci 28:199-206. 2006..The goal of our study, therefore, is to investigate the patients' opinion on the promotional activities of pharmaceutical companies...
- The financing of drug trials by pharmaceutical companies and its consequences. Part 1: a qualitative, systematic review of the literature on possible influences on the findings, protocols, and quality of drug trialsGisela Schott
Arzneimittelkommission der deutschen Arzteschaft, Berlin, Germany
Dtsch Arztebl Int 107:279-85. 2010..Moreover, pharmaceutical companies have been found to influence drug trials in various ways. This paper provides an overview of the findings of current, systematic studies on this topic...
- Healthcare professionals and the reciprocal duty to treat during a pandemic disasterDarren P Mareiniss
Center for Health and Homeland Security, University of Maryland, 8106 Pampas Cove, Austin, TX 78750, USA
Am J Bioeth 8:39-41. 2008
- Promotional literature: how do we critically appraise?V V Shetty
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, Seth GS Medical College and KEM Hospital, Parel, Mumbai 400 012, India
J Postgrad Med 54:217-21. 2008..Critical appraisal of promotional literature can provide valuable information to the busy physician to practice evidence-based medicine...
- Ethical decision-making, passivity and pharmacyR J Cooper
Division of Social Research in Medicines and Health, The University of Nottingham, University Park, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
J Med Ethics 34:441-5. 2008..A four-stage decision-making model involving ethical attention, reasoning, intention and action offers further insights into how more than reasoning alone may contribute to decision-making...
- The accuracy of psychiatric medication advertisements in medical journalsGlen I Spielmans
Department of Psychology, Metropolitan State University, St Paul, Minnesota 55108, USA
J Nerv Ment Dis 196:267-73. 2008..Given the relatively poor empirical substantiation of claims made in medical journal psychiatric drug advertisements and that most claims provided no attainable sources, increased regulation of such advertising is warranted...
- [Moral dilemmas of the pharmacist--ways of coping with ethical problems in light of case studies]Kazumi Kawamura
Sugi Medical Co, Ltd, Tokyo, Japan
Yakugaku Zasshi 129:793-806. 2009..The need is urgent, therefore, for us to apply an understanding of ethical theory and conduct systematic case method-based ethical education to cultivate an ethical outlook among pharmacological students and pharmacists...
- Pharmacists and industry: guidelines for ethical interactionsRandy C Hatton
Ammerican College of Clinical Pharmacy, Lenexa, KS 66215, USA
Pharmacotherapy 28:410-20. 2008
- Prescriber profilingStephen M Kirk
Ann Intern Med 148:82. 2008
- Undergraduate and postgraduate pharmacy students' perceptions of plagiarism and academic honestyGreg Ryan
Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Sydney, Australia
Am J Pharm Educ 73:105. 2009..To assess undergraduate and postgraduate pharmacy students' perceptions of plagiarism and academic honesty...
- Healthcare without conscience--unconscionable!Gene Rudd
Christian Medical and Dental Associations, 2604 Highway 421, PO Box 7500, Bristol, TN 37621, USA
Ann Pharmacother 41:1903-5. 2007..We can define better solutions for access to legal prescriptions and therapies without demanding that healthcare professionals become complicit in activities they deem immoral...
- Response to commentators on "Conscientious objection and emergency contraception": sex, drugs and the rocky role of levonorgestrelRobert F Card
Am J Bioeth 7:4-6. 2007
- Is the influence of the pharmaceutical industry on prescribing, research and publication in the field of psychogeriatrics excessive? - NoSarmishtha Bhattacharyya
The University of Manchester, UK
Int Psychogeriatr 19:1010-4; discussion 1014-20. 2007
- [Yes to research, no to utilization? Medical, pharmacological and toxicological utilization of human embryonic stem cells from an ethical point of view]H Kress
Evang Theol Fakultät Abt Sozialethik, Universitat Bonn, Bonn, BRD
Bundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz 51:965-72. 2008..This follows from the basic human right to health protection and health care. Legal ambiguities, which still exist in this respect, should be removed...
- Yes, industry influence is excessiveAmit A Shah
Section of Geriatric Medicine, University of Texas-Southwestern, Dallas TX, USA
Int Psychogeriatr 19:1004-10; discussion 1014-20. 2007
- Conscientious refusal by physicians and pharmacists: who is obligated to do what, and why?Dan W Brock
Department of Social Medicine, Harvard Medical School, 651 Huntington Avenue, FXB Building, Rm 643, Boston, MA, 02115, USA
Theor Med Bioeth 29:187-200. 2008..Put together, this provides my answer to the question posed in the title of my paper: "Conscientious refusal by physicians and pharmacists: who is obligated to do what, and why?"...
- Ethics and the FDAJohn Fielder
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 25:13-7. 2006
- Perceived importance of pharmacy management skillsRichard J Faris
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, College of Pharmacy, University of Tennessee, Memphis, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 62:1067-72. 2005..CONCLUSION: Surveys in the United States and Canada found differences and similarities in pharmacy managers' opinions of the importance of managerial skills and in self-rated managerial strengths. Also identified were gaps in training...
- The Vioxx debacleJohn H Fielder
IEEE Eng Med Biol Mag 24:106-9. 2005
- A resident's perspective on professionalism in pharmacyKelly P Masters
Shenandoah University, Winchester, VA 22601, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 62:142-3. 2005
- Profile: Daniel CallahanStephan Herrera
Nat Biotechnol 22:1495. 2004
- Ethics in Christianity and health care: can "character" be defined in this interdisciplinary course?A E Broeseker
Department of Pharmacy Practice, McWhorter School of Pharmacy, Samford University, Birmingham, AL 35229, USA
Ann Pharmacother 33:489-94. 1999..To describe a unique interdisciplinary ethics course that incorporates elements of character into a decision-making model...
- Conscience, the law, and donation of expired drugsEne I Ette
Ann Pharmacother 38:1310-3. 2004
- The Scope of pharmacy ethics-an evaluation of the international research literature, 1990-2002Joy Wingfield
The Pharmacy School, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, NG7 2RD, England, UK
Soc Sci Med 58:2383-96. 2004..ethics in pharmacy practice and almost none addressing fundamental philosophical issues or values for pharmacy ethics. There is no dedicated journal for pharmacy ethics...
- Why withholding a prescription is unethical: a bioethical analysis of a far too familiar caseAlex Cahana
Department of Anesthesiology, Geneva University Hospital, Switzerland
Pain Med 4:388-9. 2003
- Professionalism in pharmacy. Professionalism and the APhA House of DelegatesValerie T Prince
McWhorter School of Pharmacy, Samford University, Birmingham, Ala, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 43:452-4. 2003
- [Prosecution of Mélanie Hahnemann in 1847 at the court of Paris: illegal practise of pharmacy and medicine]Francis Trépardoux
Rev Hist Pharm (Paris) 50:427-38. 2002..The court fined her for hundred francs that she paid. Then, she kept the circle of her friends and continued in medical counselling...
- Pharmacogenomics: ethical concerns for research and pharmacy practiceM Gabriela Alcalde
Institute for Bioethics, Health Policy, and Law, University of Louisville School of Medicine, 501 East Broadway, Suite 310, Louisville, KY 40292, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 59:2239-40. 2002
- Trustworthiness and professional ethicsAmy Haddad
School of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, Creighton University, Omaha, Neb, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (Wash) 42:540-1. 2002
- The relationship between pharmacists' tenure in community setting and moral reasoningD A Latif
Bernard J Dunn School of Pharmacy, Shenandoah University, Winchester, VA 22601, USA
J Bus Ethics 31:131-41. 2001....
- The ethics of post-marketing surveillance of therapeutic agentsR G Beran
Australian College of Legal Medicine, Strategic Health Evaluators, Chatswood, NSW
Med Law 20:587-94. 2001..This paper will explore such cases and discuss approaches to improve post marketing surveillance and patient protection...
- Ethical cognition and selection-socialization in retail pharmacyD A Latif
Department of Biopharmaceutical Sciences, School of Pharmacy, 1460 University Drive, Winchester, VA 22601
J Bus Ethics 25:343-57. 2000..Implications for retail practice and limitations are discussed...
- Adoption of a pharmacist conscience clause by Professional Associations and Boards of Pharmacy in the United StatesH A Monsanto
Department of Pharmacy Practice, School of Pharmacy, University of Puerto Rico, San Juan, Puerto Rico 00936 5067
P R Health Sci J 18:401-4. 1999..To determine the number of professional associations and boards of pharmacy in the United States that have adopted or are considering to adopt a conscience clause as part of their codes of ethics, rules, laws or regulations...
- Bioethics, the Surviving Sepsis Campaign, and the industryChristian J Wiedermann
Department of Medicine, Central Hospital of Bolzano, Bolzano, Italy
Wien Klin Wochenschr 117:442-4. 2005
- Pharmacists, pharmaceutical manufacturers, and conflicts of interestDavid Banks
Office of Special Health Issues, Food and Drug Administration, Rockville, MD 20857, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 62:1827-32. 2005
- Balancing pharmacists' conscientious objections with their duty to serveCharles D Hepler
Department of Pharmacy Health Care Administration, College of Pharmacy, University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 45:434-6. 2005
- Response to: Ethics, data and the pharmaceutical physicianA D Dayan
Int J Clin Pract 60:1009; author reply 1009. 2006
- Critical evaluation of the claims made by pharmaceutical companies in drug promotional material in PakistanDileep Kumar Rohra
Department of Biological and Biomedical Sciences, The Aga Khan University, Karachi, Pakistan
J Pharm Pharm Sci 9:50-9. 2006..Objectives. To audit the drug promotional claims made by the pharmaceutical companies in Pakistan...
- Re: Bioethics, the Surviving Sepsis Campaign, and the industryGiovanni Ricevuti
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:64-5. 2006
- Re: Bioethics, the Surviving Sepsis Campaign, and the industryAlberto Malliani
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:63-4. 2006
- Curbside conversation about noblesse oblige and moral commitmentMax D Ray
College of Pharmacy, Western University of Health Sciences, 309 East Second Street, Pomona, CA 91766-1854, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 63:666-9. 2006
- Pain, the DEA, and the impact on patientsWill Rowe
American Pain Foundation, Baltimore, MD, USA
Pain Med 7:86. 2006
- Pain management misstatements: ceiling effects, red and yellow flagsSteven D Passik
Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Pain Med 7:76-7. 2006
- Future of emergency contraception lies in pharmacists' handsNicole Monastersky
Pharmacy Access Partnership, Public Health Institute, Oakland, CA, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 46:84-8. 2006....
- New Mexico pharmacists' knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs toward prescribing oral emergency contraceptionMatthew E Borrego
University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center, College of Pharmacy, Albuquerque 87131 1066, USA
J Am Pharm Assoc (2003) 46:33-43. 2006..To describe New Mexico pharmacists' knowledge, attitudes, and beliefs toward the prescribing of oral emergency contraception (EC) in their practices...
- [Message from the President at the National Academy of Pharmacy]Jacques Chirac
Ann Pharm Fr 63:245. 2005
- Professionals, conformity, and conscienceRebecca Dresser
Law School of Washington University, St. Louis, USA
Hastings Cent Rep 35:9-10. 2005
- Dispensing with liberty: conscientious refusal and the "morning-after pill"Elizabeth Fenton
Department of Philosophy, University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia 22904, USA
J Med Philos 30:579-92. 2005..Asking "What is second best?" rather than "What is best?" offers a way to navigate the liberty restrictions that may be fixed obstacles to optimality...
- Guiding Principles for Pharmaceutical Physicians from the Ethical Issues Committee of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the UKR Bickerstaffe
Ethical Issues Committee, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine, London, UK
Int J Clin Pract 60:238-41. 2006..These principles form the basis of a fuller report which offers more specific practical advice on possible ethical conflicts or dilemmas...
- Ethics and pharmaceutical medicine -- the full report of the Ethical Issues Committee of the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the UKR Bickerstaffe
Ethical Issues Committee, Faculty of Pharmaceutical Medicine, London, UK
Int J Clin Pract 60:242-52. 2006..It is hoped that the report will help those working in pharmaceutical medicine and act as a stimulus for wider discussion and debate...
- Bioethics, the Surviving Sepsis Campaign and the industryJ Bion
Wien Klin Wochenschr 118:63. 2006
- Relationship between selected personality traits and citation for violating pharmacy board regulationsG Cocolas
School of Pharmacy, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 27599 7360, USA
Am J Health Syst Pharm 57:456-60. 2000..Significant differences in personality traits were found between pharmacists who had been cited for violating board of pharmacy regulations and general pharmacists and pharmacy leaders...
- Healthcare professionals and the DEA: trying to get back in balanceHoward A Heit
Pain Med 7:72-4. 2006
- The drug industry and clinical research in interwar America: three types of physician collaboratorNicolas Rasmussen
School of History and Philosophy of Science, University of New South Wales, Sydney, NSW 2052, Australia
Bull Hist Med 79:50-80. 2005..These patterns may help illuminate the mutual accommodation between ethical drug firms and academic clinical researchers (and institutions) that still prevails today...
- Outpatient Prescription ErrorsAMANDA KENNEDY; Fiscal Year: 2007..Additionally, she will work closely with experienced investigators in the fields of Outcomes Research, Technology Assessment, and Human Factors Research. ..