Summary: The field which deals with illustrative clarification of biomedical concepts, as in the use of diagrams and drawings. The illustration may be produced by hand, photography, computer, or other electronic or mechanical methods.
Publications230 found, 100 shown here
- Anatomy exhibit shows charm of grotesqueBrian Vastag
JAMA 288:2525-6, 2529. 2002
- Medical illustration in the UK: its current and potential role in medical educationM A Ansary
Department of Medical Illustration, Medical Education Centre, Northern General Hospital NHS Trust, Sheffield, UK
J Audiov Media Med 23:69-72. 2000This paper describes how medical illustration has evolved to become increasingly important in undergraduate medical education, postgraduate medical education and continuing medical education, as new technologies have become available and ..
- A multimodal, multidimensional atlas of the C57BL/6J mouse brainAllan MacKenzie-Graham
Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, Department of Neurology, University of California, Los Angeles, 710 Westwood Plaza, Room 4 238, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1769, USA
J Anat 204:93-102. 2004..Thus, the atlas becomes a framework for managing complex genetic and epigenetic information about the mouse brain. The atlas and associated tools may be accessed at http://www.loni.ucla.edu/MAP...
- The informatics of a C57BL/6J mouse brain atlasAllan MacKenzie-Graham
Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, Department of Neurology, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Neuroinformatics 1:397-410. 2003..A comprehensive framework that encompasses many forms of information in the context of anatomic imaging holds tremendous promise for producing new insights. The atlas and associated tools can be found at http://www.loni.ucla.edu/MAP...
- Gene expression nervous system atlas (GENSAT)Nathaniel Heintz
The Rockefeller University and Howard Hughes Medical Institute, 1230 York Avenue, New York, New York 10021, USA
Nat Neurosci 7:483. 2004
- Atlas renormalization for improved brain MR image segmentation across scanner platformsXiao Han
Athinoula A Martinos Center for Biomedical Imaging, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Charlestown, MA 02129, USA
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 26:479-86. 2007....
- The contribution of Santiago Ramón y Cajal to functional neuroscienceRodolfo R Llinas
Department of Physiology and Neuroscience, New York University Medical School, New York, New York 10016, USA
Nat Rev Neurosci 4:77-80. 2003
- High-dimensional white matter atlas generation and group analysisLauren O'Donnell
Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge MA, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:243-51. 2006..We demonstrate reproducibility of these measurements across scans. In addition, we introduce the idea of using clustering for automatic matching of anatomical structures across hemispheres...
- [Study on digitized atlas of the human brain]S Q Luo
Biomedical Engineering Department, Capital University of Medical Sciences
Zhongguo Yi Liao Qi Xie Za Zhi 25:91-4, 90. 2001..This paper describes its fundamentals, development, construction and applications in surgical planning, model-driven segmentation and neuroanatomy teaching...
- A digital pediatric brain structure atlas from T1-weighted MR imagesZuyao Y Shan
Division of Translational Imaging Research, Department of Radiological Sciences, St Jude Children s Research Hospital, Memphis, Tennessee 38105, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:332-9. 2006..Our brain atlas and structural mesh models (www.stjude.org/brainatlas) can be used to plan treatment, to conduct knowledge and model-driven segmentation, and to analyze the shapes of brain structures in pediatric patients...
- [Anatomical education in the late Meiji era --Lu Xun, doctor Fujino and their comtemporaries]Tatsuo Sakai
Department of Anatomy, School of Medicine, Juntendo Universitu, 2 1 1 Hongo, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 8421, Japan
Kaibogaku Zasshi 82:21-31. 2007..Lu Xun made clean copies in the first two months after matriculation, and made crude notes after then. Corrections by Professor Fujino were found in the crude notes for his lectures...
- Atlas guided identification of brain structures by combining 3D segmentation and SVM classificationAyelet Akselrod-Ballin
Dept of Computer Science and Applied Math, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:209-16. 2006..We validated the approach using a gold standard real brain MRI data set. Comparison of the results with existing algorithms displays the promise of our approach...
- The chair of anatomy in the Faculty of Medicine at Strasbourg: 350th anniversary of its foundation (1652-2002)J M Le Minor
Surg Radiol Anat 24:1-5. 2002
- [The "Anatomic Charts" (1722) of Johann Adam Kulmus (1689-1745). A textbook for (wound)physician education in the German language countries and in Japan]Michael Sachs
Klinik für Allgemein und Gefässchirurgie und Senckenbergisches Institut für Geschichte der Medizin Klinikum der Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main
Sudhoffs Arch 86:69-85. 2002..The "Anatomischen Tabellen" has been the first occidental text-book of anatomy to be translated into japanese to be published in 1774, supplied with numerous wooden engravings...
- A three-dimensional digital atlas database of the adult C57BL/6J mouse brain by magnetic resonance microscopyY Ma
Department of Psychiatry, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, New York, NY, USA
Neuroscience 135:1203-15. 2005....
- Three-dimensional average-shape atlas of the honeybee brain and its applicationsRobert Brandt
Institut für Biologie Neurobiologie, Freie Universitat Berlin, D 14195 Berlin, Germany
J Comp Neurol 492:1-19. 2005..The Honeybee Standard Brain is accessible at www.neurobiologie.fu-berlin.de/beebrain...
- The first images of atopic dermatitis: an attempt at retrospective diagnosis in dermatologyDaniel Wallach
J Am Acad Dermatol 53:684-9. 2005..Atopic dermatitis was defined in 1933. Earlier descriptions have yet not been thoroughly studied...
- Five hundred years of brain imagesDavid E J Linden
Laboratory for Neurophysiology and Neuroimaging, Department of Psychiatry, Johann Wolfgang Goethe Universitat, Heinrich Hoffmann Str 10, D 60528 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Arch Neurol 59:308-13. 2002
- A probabilistic functional atlas of the human subthalamic nucleusWieslaw L Nowinski
Biomedical Imaging Lab, Institute for Infocomm Research 21 Heng Hui Keng Terrace, Singapore
Neuroinformatics 2:381-98. 2004..The presented method is general and can be applied for constructing human and animal probabilistic brain atlases...
- Construction and validation of mean shape atlas templates for atlas-based brain image segmentationQian Wang
Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Faculties of Medicine and Engineering, Medical Image Computing ESAT PSI, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Inf Process Med Imaging 19:689-700. 2005....
- [The Tabulae anatomicae (1794-1803) of Justus Christian Loder: anatomical illustration between science, art and commerce]Katja Regenspurger
Institut fur Geschichte der Medizin, Naturwissenschaft und Technik, Friedrich Schiller Universitat, Jena
Medizinhist J 38:245-84. 2004..Loder opposed theoretical transcendence and standardisation in the representation of human anatomy...
- Probabilistic brain atlas encoding using Bayesian inferenceKoen Van Leemput
Helsinki Medical Imaging Center, Helsinki University Central Hospital, Finland
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:704-11. 2006..We believe extracting optimal prior probability distributions from training data is crucial in light of the central role priors play in many automated brain MRI analysis techniques...
- Gunther von Hagens and Body Worlds part 2: The anatomist as priest and prophetCharleen M Moore
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, USA
Anat Rec B New Anat 277:14-20. 2004....
- Gunther von Hagens and Body Worlds Part 1: the anatomist as prosektor and proplastikerCharleen M Moore
Department of Cellular and Structural Biology, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229 3900, USA
Anat Rec B New Anat 276:8-14. 2004..Consideration also is given to the role of anatomist as priest, prophet, and Promethean creator, roles self-consciously embraced by von Hagens...
- The compilation and edition of the first color atlas of dermatology by Robert Willan (1757-1812), Thomas Bateman (1778-1821), and Ashby Smith (?-1831) from 1790 to 1817Karl Holubar
Institute for the History of Medicine, University of Vienna, Währinger Strasse 25, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Acta Dermatovenerol Croat 12:12-7. 2004..The first great atlases in the field of dermatology by Robert Willan (1757-1812) and Jean-Louis Alibert (1768-1837), and by M. N. Devergie (1784-1842) in venereology, are addressed and Willan's work is elaborated in detail...
- A deformable digital brain atlas system according to Talairach and TournouxKlaus A Ganser
Department of Medical Informatics, University of Heidelberg, University of Applied Sciences, Max Planck Str 39, D 74081 Heilbronn, Germany
Med Image Anal 8:3-22. 2004..Summarizing, we developed a Win32 program which permits the convenient and fast application of standardized anatomy to individual brains which potentially contain tumors...
- Perceptions of science. The anatomical mission to BurmaMichael Sappol
History of Medicine Division, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD 20894, USA
Science 302:232-3. 2003..Today, as anatomical images abound in the arts and the media, we still believe that anatomical images show us our inner reality...
- A woman down to her bonesJoan Cadden
Isis 95:97-8; author reply 98. 2004
- [A hand colored edition of Vesalius's "Fabrica"]Alain Segal
Hist Sci Med 37:245-52. 2003
- Atlas-based segmentation of pathological MR brain images using a model of lesion growthMeritxell Bach Cuadra
Signal Processing Institute, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology EPFL, CH 1015 Lausanne, Switzerland
IEEE Trans Med Imaging 23:1301-14. 2004....
- SkelettestreitLonda Schiebinger
Department of History, Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802, USA
Isis 94:307-13. 2003..It is wrong to judge foundational shifts in scientific culture merely by firsts...
- Atlas stratificationDaniel J Blezek
GE Research, Niskayuna, NY 12309, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:712-9. 2006..We use the mean shift algorithm to identify the modes of the sample and multidimensional scaling to visualize the clustering process...
- [The formation of medical knowledges in Russia before 1800: contributions of German speaking physicians]Aloys Henning
Wurzbg Medizinhist Mitt 23:428-35. 2004....
- Generation and application of a probabilistic breast cancer atlasDaniel B Russakoff
Fujifilm Software California, Inc, San Jose, California, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:454-61. 2006..In this paper, we present a method for the generation and implementation of a probabilistic breast cancer atlas. We then validate this method on data from the Digital Database for Screening Mammography (DDSM)...
- Microscopy: an art?Lelio Orci
Department of Morphology, University Medical Center, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol 3:133-7. 2002..Microscopy, as a technique in scientific investigation, has had a key role in uncovering nature's beauty, which has led some to propose that microscopy could be described as an art or even an art form. But is this claim justified?..
- The story of the body and the story of the person: towards an ethics of representing human bodies and body-partsY Michael Barilan
Department of Internal Medicine B, Meir Hospital, Kfar Saba, Israel
Med Health Care Philos 8:193-205. 2005..The paper discusses different aspects of the above traditions and how they might bear on this conflict and on contemporary bioethics and bedside practice...
- Andreas Vesalius (1514-84)Neil McIntyre
J Med Biogr 15:96. 2007
- Hieronymus [corrected] Fabricius Ab Acquapendente (1533-1619)Sean B Smith
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Mayo Medical School, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minnesota, USA
Clin Anat 17:540-3. 2004
- From Ars to Scientia: the revolution of anatomic illustrationSean B Smith
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
Clin Anat 19:382-8. 2006..His new and strict focus upon scientific illustration developed in the context of previous anatomists' work and theories, but his is a critical and previously untold story in the history of medicine...
- The NeuARt II system: a viewing tool for neuroanatomical data based on published neuroanatomical atlasesGully A P C Burns
Information Sciences Institute, 4676 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292, USA
BMC Bioinformatics 7:531. 2006..This framework not only captures current methods of anatomical data acquisition and analysis, it allows these studies to be collated, compared and synthesized within a single system...
- Automated atlas-based clustering of white matter fiber tracts from DTMRIMahnaz Maddah
Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, Massachussets Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 8:188-95. 2005..Expert visual inspection of the result confirms that the proposed method is very promising and efficient in clustering of the known bundles of fiber tracts...
- The anatomy of Andreas VesaliusAlison Bickford
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, USA
Pharos Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Med Soc 69:4-11. 2006
- Maude Abbott and the "Atlas of Congenital Cardiac Disease"Rick Fraser
McGill University, Montreal, Canada
Cardiovasc Pathol 15:233-5. 2006
- [Epitome, an ignored work of Andreas Vesalius]Jacqueline Vons
Universite Francois Rabelais de Tours, CESR CNRS UMR 6576
Hist Sci Med 40:177-89. 2006..We will attract your attention on this originality, often ignored, of the Epitome...
- [The medical illustration as the expression of illusion and imagination--the liver as an exampel from history]Nils O Sjöstrand
Karolinska Institutet, Idungatan 2, 5 tr 113 45 Stockholm
Sven Med Tidskr 11:17-51. 2007..Yet, still today, the liver lobule, although not present in man, always is presented in textbooks as the morphological and physiological unit of the liver...
- Atlas stratificationDaniel J Blezek
GE Research, 1 Research Circle, Niskayuna, NY 12309, USA
Med Image Anal 11:443-57. 2007..In this preliminary work, we use the mean shift algorithm to identify the modes of the sample and multidimensional scaling to visualize the clustering process on clinical MRI neurological image datasets...
- G.F. d'Acquapendente tabulae pictae on the nervous systemAlessandro Riva
J Headache Pain 8:253-4; author reply 255-6. 2007
- Multimodal, multidimensional models of mouse brainAllan J Mackenzie-Graham
Laboratory of Neuro Imaging, University of California, Los Angeles, California 90095 7334, USA
Epilepsia 48:75-81. 2007..We describe both these atlases and discuss how they may be put to use in organizing and analyzing data from mouse models of epilepsy...
- Brain, mind, and body: interactions with art in renaissance ItalySheryl R Ginn
Department of Social Sciences, Rowan Cabarrus Community College, Concord, NC, USA
J Hist Neurosci 17:295-313. 2008..Both art and science benefited from the reciprocal ways in which the two influenced each other even as they provided new ways of explaining the mysteries of the human body and mind...
- A historical vignette. "How do you like your labyrinth: straight or mixed"?J Tainmont
B-ENT 2:205-11. 2006..It also provides an analysis of this period based on the types of criticism directed against the doctrine of the implanted air of the ear...
- A Persian anatomical image in a non-muslim manuscript from GujaratDominik Wujastyk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for the History of Medicine UCL, 210 Euston Road, London NW1 2BE, UK
Med Hist 51:237-42. 2007
- A woman down to her bones. The anatomy of sexual difference in the sixteenth and early seventeenth centuriesMichael Stolberg
Institut fur Geschichte der Medizin, Technische Universitat Munchen, Ismaninger Str 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
Isis 94:274-99. 2003....
- Charles Estienne (Carolus Stephanus) (ca.1504-1564): physician and anatomistR Shane Tubbs
Department of Cell Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
Clin Anat 19:4-7. 2006
- Towards construction of an ideal stereotactic brain atlasWieslaw L Nowinski
Biomedical Imaging Lab, Agency for Science Technology and Research, Singapore
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 150:1-13; discussion 13-4. 2008..The essence of the new atlas is not only its population-based structural and functional content, but also its continuous "self-updatability" with the new clinical results obtained...
- Enhancing depth-perception with flexible volumetric halosStefan Bruckner
Institute of Computer Graphics and Algorithms, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph 13:1344-51. 2007..These halo intensities are then mapped to colors and opacities using a halo profile function. Our method can be used to annotate features at interactive frame rates...
- Viewing the brain through the master hand of Ramón y CajalConstantino Sotelo
Catedra de Neurobiología del Desarrollo Remedios Caro Almela at the Instituto de Neurociencias, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, San Juan, 03550 Alicante, Spain
Nat Rev Neurosci 4:71-7. 2003
- Semantic layers for illustrative volume renderingPeter Rautek
Institute of Computer Graphics and Algorithms, Vienna University of Technology, Austria
IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph 13:1336-43. 2007..Semantic layers allow for a linguistic specification of the mapping from attributes to visual styles replacing the traditional transfer function specification...
- Felix Vicq d'Azyr: anatomy, medicine and revolutionAndre Parent
Centre de Recherche Universite Laval Robert Giffard, Beauport, Quebec, Canada
Can J Neurol Sci 34:30-7. 2007..Unfortunately, Vicq d'Azyr did not survive the turmoil of the French Revolution; he died at age 46 on June 20, 1794...
- Lancisi's nerves and the seat of the soulAntonio Di Ieva
Department of Neurosurgery, Istituto Clinico Humanitas, Milan, Italy
Neurosurgery 60:563-8; discussion 568. 2007..This essay offers an account of this eminent physician, his era, and his philosophical background, as well as a description of the anatomic structures that bear his name...
- Towards a statistical atlas of cardiac fiber structureJean Marc Peyrat
INRIA, Asclepios Research Project, Sophia Antipolis, France
Med Image Comput Comput Assist Interv 9:297-304. 2006..The results show a strong coherence of the diffusion tensors and the fiber orientations among a population of seven normal canine hearts...
- How the Pernkopf controversy facilitated a historical and ethical analysis of the anatomical sciences in Austria and Germany: a recommendation for the continued use of the Pernkopf atlasSabine Hildebrandt
Division of Anatomical Sciences, Office of Medical Education, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0608, USA
Clin Anat 19:91-100. 2006..The continued use of the Pernkopf atlas is not only justifiable but desirable as a tool in the teaching of anatomy, history, and ethics...
- Medical illustration: from caves to cyberspaceJ Tsafrir
Medical Library, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Health Info Libr J 18:99-109. 2001..the physicians or scientists accompanied their texts with their own illustrations, and in the last century, medical illustration, in its infinite variety of techniques, has been developed as a profession in its own right...
- Illustration-inspired depth enhanced volumetric medical visualizationNikolai A Svakhine
Adobe Systems Inc, San Jose, CA 95110, USA
IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph 15:77-86. 2009..illustration can be used to provide insight into source data from CT/MRI scanners in much the same way as medical illustration depicts the important details of anatomical structures...
- Maintaining standard scales of reproduction in patient photography using digital camerasS Young
Media Resources Centre, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff CF14 4XN, UK
J Audiov Media Med 24:162-5. 2001..The common use of digital cameras in departments of medical illustration have brought with them new problems, one of which is the variability of size of the CCD fitted to these ..
- Medical photography: a Trinidad experienceRichard Spence
University of West Indies, Faculty of Medical Sciences, St Augustine, Trinidad
J Audiov Media Med 27:68-71. 2004..Augustine Campus, University of West Indies, first established medical illustration as an organized profession within the public healthcare provision of Trinidad and Tobago...
- Volume illustration of muscle from diffusion tensor imagesWei Chen
State Key Lab of CAD and CG, Zhejiang University
IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph 15:1425-32. 2009b>Medical illustration has demonstrated its effectiveness to depict salient anatomical features while hiding the irrelevant details...
- The suitability of ISO 9001 as a quality system for a medical illustration departmentC M Fleming
St Luke s Hospital, Bradford Hospitals NHS Trust, Little Horton Lane, Bradford, West Yorkshire BD5 ONA
J Audiov Media Med 24:S17-22. 2001The Medical illustration Department within Bradford Hospitals NHS Trust is typical of many such units in the UK that are facing increasing competition from the commercial sector and Private Finance Initiatives, and at the same time, being ..
- Planning, designing and evaluating a departmental medical illustration websiteJohn A Corney
Department of Medical Illustration, Western Infirmary, Glasgow G11 6NT, Scotland, UK
J Audiov Media Med 25:110-6. 2002The Medical Illustration Department at West Glasgow Hospitals made a decision to construct a departmental website that would not only raise awareness of the department but also demonstrate the expertise in website construction the medical ..
- Medical illustration is a 'clinical' serviceA Y Herd
University of Glasgow, West Glasgow Hospitals NHS Trust, Western Infirmary, UK
J Audiov Media Med 21:127-32. 1998The Medical Illustration Service within West Glasgow Hospitals University NHS Trust found itself under threat of being classified as a non-clinical service...
- 'Conversion course' to allow holders of the IMI Diploma in Medical Illustration to gain a BSc in Medical Illustration from Glasgow Caledonian UniversityA Y Herd
University of Glasgow, West Glasgow Hospitals University NHS Trust, Western Infirmary, UK
J Audiov Media Med 20:114-7. 1997..The project will be written up in the style of an academic paper for the Institute's journal. Successful students will be awarded the BSc in Medical Illustration.
- The role of a medical illustration department during the Lanarkshire E. coli O157 outbreakR G Milligan
Monklands Hospital, Airdrie, UK
J Audiov Media Med 21:133-9. 1998..The hospital Medical Illustration Department was involved in a supporting role to the clinical team dealing with the outbreak as well as ..
- Standardization in clinical photography at Addenbrooke's HospitalJaclyn Murdoch
Addenbrooke s Hospital, Cambridge, UK
J Vis Commun Med 28:68-71. 2005Most, if not all, medical illustration departments in the UK provide medical photography as a principal service...
- The experience of the clinical photographer, when working in both large and small medical illustration departments in the UKKatherine Grice
Bradford Teaching Hospitals, UK
J Vis Commun Med 33:95-7. 2010..The authors of this paper have both worked in large and small departments and were quite surprised by the similarities and differences between these two working experiences. Their impressions are shared here...
- Managing digital clinical photographsJ Nayler
Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children, NHS Trust and Institute of Child Health, 30 Guilford Street, London WC1N 1EH, UK
J Audiov Media Med 24:166-71. 2001Digital cameras have been used for clinical photography in the Medical Illustration Department at Great Ormond Street Hospital NHS Trust for eight years...
- Urodynamics in the anatomical work of Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)D Schultheiss
Department of Urology, Hannover Medical School, Germany
World J Urol 17:137-43. 1999..da Vinci (1452-1519) incorporates the symbiosis of art and medicine and can be addressed as the founder of medical illustration in the time of the Renaissance...
- An evaluation and comparison of three digital image databasesS Sutherland
Western Infirmary, Glasgow G11 6NT, Scotland, UK
J Audiov Media Med 24:115-20. 2001Both the Western Infirmary and Gartnavel General Hospital's Medical Illustration Departments have been using digital cameras since 1998...
- An assessment of risk associated with the photography of microbiological materialsFrank J Addison
Print Services, Robinson Library, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Jesmond Road West, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 4HQ, UK
J Audiov Media Med 27:102-6. 2004..To seek information about current practice, a questionnaire was sent to randomly selected Medical Illustration Units across the United Kingdom...
- Alfred Donné and Léon Foucault: the first applications of electricity and photography to medical illustrationWilliam Tobin
Department of Physics, University of Canterbury, New Zealand
J Vis Commun Med 29:6-13. 2006..first published photomicrographs harnessed recent technological developments to provide improved methods of medical illustration for educational purposes. Both projects were the work of two Frenchmen...
- The Institute of Medical Illustrators and Glasgow Caledonian University BSc degree in Medical IllustrationA Y Herd
University of Glasgow, West Glasgow Hospitals University NHS Trust, Western Infirmary, UK
J Audiov Media Med 20:102-7. 1997..The BSc is a joint venture between GCU, who are the awarding academic institution, and the IMI, who are the professional examining body. The Institute hopes that it will become a standard qualification for the profession...
- Using photoshop filters to create anatomic line-art medical imagesJacobo Kirsch
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 9500 Euclid Avenue, Hb6, Cleveland, OH 44195, USA
Acad Radiol 13:1035-7. 2006..define typical or atypical patterns of the spread of disease, or to illustrate normal or aberrant anatomy, medical illustration significantly affects learning ()...
- Research for medical illustrators. Part 2: Trial design, protocols, results and reportingS Young
Department of Medical Illustration Education, School of Healthcare Studies, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK Young
J Audiov Media Med 20:123-7. 1997..Now that there are degree courses in medical illustration an increasing number of medical illustrators in the UK are instigating their own research projects, making ..
- Communication in surgical illustrationP Cunningham
Sunnybrook Health Science Centre, North York, Ontario, Canada
J Audiov Media Med 20:66-8. 1997The surgeon is a unique user of medical illustration. With both hands busy, necessarily occupying the space with the best view of what's going on, muffled by a mask and hemmed in by operating theatre personnel, the surgeon is not well-..
- An introduction to video productionJon Shears
University of Leicester, UK
J Vis Commun Med 29:54-60. 2006..This is tempting medical illustration units to move into offering video production as part of their services...
- Research for medical illustrators. Part 1: The research process and planning researchS Young
Department of Medical Illustration Education, School of Healthcare Studies, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff, UK
J Audiov Media Med 19:167-70. 1996..Now that there are degree courses in Medical illustration an increasing number of medical illustrators in the UK are instigating their own research projects, making ..
- The role of medical illustration in response to major incidentsR G Milligan
Monklands Hospital, Airdrie, UK
J Audiov Media Med 22:21-6. 1999There is very little published information on the roles and responsibilities of the Medical Illustration Department (MID) during Health Service major incidents...
- The potential impact of a national diabetic retinopathy screening programme on a department of medical illustrationNicholas C White
Department of Medical Photography and Illustration, Royal Sussex County Hospital, Sussex House, 1 Abbey Road, Brighton, West Sussex BN2 1ES, UK
J Audiov Media Med 25:24-7. 2002..This will also give some indication of the resources required for any department not currently running a service...
- Microcomputer-based 3D modeling as an aid to 2D illustrationP J Lynch
Yale University s Center for Advanced Instructional Media, Yale University, USA
J Biocommun 23:36-40. 1996..The evolution of 2D digital medical illustration will be characterized by the increasing density of information...
- The ethical context of clinical photographyIan Berle
Department of Medical Photography and Illustration, The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel Road, London E1 1BB, UK
J Audiov Media Med 25:106-9. 2002..describes mapping or codification of moral behaviour and the relationship to protocols or codes of practice, and concludes with a call to improve understanding and expertise in the study of ethics and its context in medical illustration.
- The regulation of clinical photographersCarol M Fleming
J Audiov Media Med 27:150-3. 2004..the Health Professions Council formally approved an application by the Council for the Accreditation of Medical Illustration Practitioners, and it is anticipated that clinical photographers will be amongst the first group of ..
- Role blurring--does it have implications for staff structure and development?Simon Clarke
Photography Illustration and AV Centre, The Wittington Hospital, London, UK
J Audiov Media Med 25:160-1. 2002Within recent times medical illustration departments have been changed dramatically by computers and new working methods. For photographers and illustrators alike this has resulted in an overlap or 'blurring' of roles...
- Visualizing reproduction: a cultural history of early-modern and modern medical illustrationsKaren Harvey
Department of History, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, UK
J Med Humanit 31:37-51. 2010..of medical illustrations of reproduction, this article considers the gains of an interdisciplinary study of medical illustration to both historians and medics...
- Visual reinforcement audiometry: an Adobe Flash based approachSteve Atherton
Morriston Hospital, ABM University Health Board, Swansea, Wales, UK
J Vis Commun Med 33:110-2. 2010..Habituation to the visual reinforcement can give misleading results. Medical Illustration ABM University Health Board has designed a collection of Flash animations to overcome this.
- Volume splitting and its applicationsShoukat Islam
Department of Computer Science, University of Wales Swansea, UK
IEEE Trans Vis Comput Graph 13:193-203. 2007..We demonstrate the use of these approaches with examples of volume visualization, medical illustration, volume animation, and special effects.
- National Occupational Standards for medical illustratorsJane Tovey
Department of Medical Illustration, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham B15 2TH
J Audiov Media Med 26:11-4. 2003..This paper attempts to clarify a rather confusing situation and demonstrate how the various initiatives will eventually link together to underpin the structure of medical illustration and healthcare science in the future.
- Digital image databasingS Brown
Department of Medical Illustration, Institute of Child Health, London, UK
J Audiov Media Med 18:157-62. 1995..included storage on writable compact disc (CD) drives and a system for retrieving images from these devices which was flexible enough to handle the requirements of different specialities and be usable by all medical illustration staff.
- The design of a corporate identity for a department of medical illustration: a case studyG Thompson
Department of Medical Photography, Wycombe General Hospital, Queen Alexandra Road, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire HP11 2TT, UK
J Audiov Media Med 24:60-3. 2001This paper outlines the author's attempt to design and introduce a corporate identity into the Department of Medical Illustration at the South Buckinghamshire NHS Trust...
- Anatomical accuracy in medical 3D modelingJ Wulf
Institut of Anatomy, Medical University of Lubeck, Ratzeburger Allee 160, 23538 Lubeck, Germany
Stud Health Technol Inform 81:584-6. 2001..However, the question concerning the accuracy of the model, i.e. the equivalence between the model itself on the one hand and the original anatomical situation on the other hand, remains unanswererd in the current literature...
- Cataract surgery in ancient EgyptPatric Blomstedt
From the Department of Pharmacology and Clinical Neuroscience, Umea University, Umea, Sweden Electronic address
J Cataract Refract Surg 40:485-9. 2014..No example of cataract surgery or of any other invasive ophthalmologic procedure can be found in the original sources...
- A half-century of perpetuating Netter's anatomic errorJoseph E Bogen
Department of Neurologic Surgery, University of Southern California, USA
J Hist Neurosci 15:53-5. 2006..The 1953 drawing by Netter of the thalamus mistakenly placed the dorsolateral nucleus on the wrong side of the internal medullary lamina. This error has been perpetuated in the best known texts on neuroscience for over fifty years...
- Lymphotropic nanoparticle enhanced MR imaging (LNMRI) technique for lymph node imagingMansi A Saksena
Center for Molecular Imaging Research, Building 149, 13th Street, Room 5406, Charlestown, MA 02129 2060, USA
Eur J Radiol 58:367-74. 2006..This paper discusses the technique and interpretation of lymphotropic nanoparticle enhanced MRI (LNMRI) and reviews the various trials evaluating nodal staging with ferumoxtran-10 enhanced MRI...
- Allen Brain Atlas maps 21,000 genes of the mouse brainMichael McCarthy
Lancet Neurol 5:907-8. 2006
- A Multidimensional Alzheimer's Disease Brain AtlasArthur Toga; Fiscal Year: 2005..Seventh, these will be combined into an interactive visualizable and analytic tool set made available to the neuroscientific community. ..
- RESEARCH TRAINING IN BLOOD AND VASCULAR BIOLOGYSandor Shapiro; Fiscal Year: 1999..In addition, resources of the Cardeza Foundation library and conference room, medical illustration unit, clinical laboratory, and administrative facilities and personnel will be available for support of ..
- Calorie Restriction Effects on Chromosomal AberrationsCHARLEEN MOORE; Fiscal Year: 2003..The results will be essential in identifying potential mechanisms by which CR acts in cancer prevention and delay of the aging process in long-lived species such as the rhesus monkey and humans. ..
- Senselab: Integration of Multidisciplinary Sensory DataGordon Shepherd; Fiscal Year: 2008..abstract_text> ..
- CHARACTERISTICS OF PERFUSION RELATED CORTICAL SIGNALSArthur Toga; Fiscal Year: 2007..The experiments described here will help us achieve that goal. ..
- Distributed Supercomputing for Brain MappingArthur Toga; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Integrative mechanisms of cortical circuitsGORDON MURRAY SHEPHERD; Fiscal Year: 2010..The results will therefore suggest new principles for the functioning of cortical modules, and for the neural basis of normal odor processing. ..
- PARTIAL DOPAMINEAGONIST TREATMENT OF SCHIZOPHRENIACarol Tamminga; Fiscal Year: 2002..These data will predict and later help us to select optimal agonist intrinsic activity ior clinical testing for antipsychotic actvity, duration of therapeutic action, and side effects. ..
- Comparitive Antipsychotic Drug Actions on Brain NeurochemistryCarol Tamminga; Fiscal Year: 2007..Concentration on mouse behaviors, neurochemistry and behavior will advance studies aimed at kinetic applications. ..
- Examination of the Limbic Cortex in SchizophreniaCarol Tamminga; Fiscal Year: 2006..These data will have implications for understanding the mechanisms of the illness and for directing future new drug discovery for schizophrenia therapeutics. ..
- Psychiatric Research Education Program(PREP)Carol Tamminga; Fiscal Year: 2007..Together, these features place the UTSWMC Department of Psychiatry in an ideal position to stimulate and train the next generation of basic and clinical psychiatric researchers. ..
- A MULTIMODAL MULTIDIMENSIONAL MAP OF THE MOUSE BRAINArthur Toga; Fiscal Year: 2003..The resulting validated, multimodality, multidimensional mouse atlas will have immense value for studying normal, mutant, healthy and diseased animals in a wide range of neuroscientific investigations. ..
- A MULTIMODAL MULTIDIMENSIONAL MAP OF THE MOUSE BRAINArthur Toga; Fiscal Year: 2002..The resulting validated, multimodality, multidimensional mouse atlas will have immense value for studying normal, mutant, healthy and diseased animals in a wide range of neuroscientific investigations. ..
- TRAINING PROGRAM IN NEUROIMAGINGArthur Toga; Fiscal Year: 2003..We have the laboratory resources, faculty interest and expertise needed to run training program of this breadth and depth. ..
- DISTRIBUTED GRAPHICS SUPERCOMPUTING FOR NEUROINFORMATICSArthur Toga; Fiscal Year: 2001..The provision of such an instrumentation package would enhance the productivity of ongoing funded research and foster the development of leading edge technology and applications for all participants. ..
- Collaborative Brain Mapping: Tools for SharingArthur Toga; Fiscal Year: 2008..The resulting information technology will be scalable and applicable to other scientific data sharing problems. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Computional Brain Biology from Genotype to PhenotypeArthur Toga; Fiscal Year: 2004..abstract_text> ..
- DEVELOPMENTAL BRAIN DAMAGE BY DRUGS OF ABUSEJohn W Olney; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- WFU_Pickatlas InteroperabilityJoseph Maldjian; Fiscal Year: 2008..This project will build on the pickatlas software to provide automated neuroanatomical region of interest analyses for human imaging studies and studies of non-human primates. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Autosegmentation for head and neck RadiotherapyBenoit M Dawant; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Neural Phenotypes for Schizophrenia and Bipolar DisorderTyrone D Cannon; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Training in Medication Compliance and Health LiteracySunil Kripalani; Fiscal Year: 2008..If successful, the proposed research could serve as a model for other interventions to improve compliance and cardiovascular care, particularly among low-literate and underserved populations. ..
- Integrated Tool for Biological Parametric MappingJoseph Maldjian; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Realizing the potential of reference ontologies for the semantic webJames F Brinkley; Fiscal Year: 2010..Their development and evaluation will primarily be driven by the need to integrate data and computational models describing cardiac function. ..
- Working Memory and Social Functioning in SchizophreniaTyrone Cannon; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- FDG PET IMAGING OF COLON CARCINOMA RESPONSE TO THERAPYMichael Graham; Fiscal Year: 2001....
- ACUTE BRAIN INJURY, MECHANISMS AND PROTECTIONJohn Olney; Fiscal Year: 2001..The long term goals are to clarify the underlying mechanisms and develop improved methods of treating human pediatric acute brain injury conditions. ..
- NEUROPROTECTION AGAINST RETINAL ISCHEMIAJohn Olney; Fiscal Year: 2001..These studies will be conducted studies using Muller cell cultures to test this hypothesis. ..
- KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT OF THE NEUROSCIENTIFIC LITERATUREGully Burns; Fiscal Year: 2005....
- Oxidative Stress Pathways in Noise Induced Hearing LossJochen Schacht; Fiscal Year: 2005..abstract_text> ..
- Health care utilitzation in homeless peopleStephen Hwang; Fiscal Year: 2005..Findings will be relevant to health care providers, insurers, and others who share a responsibility for improving the health of Americans who are homeless. ..
- IMAGE-GUIDED ROBOTICALLY-POSITIONED TMS SYSTEMJack Lancaster; Fiscal Year: 2006..This application is in response to the NIHM Topic B "Instrumentation for Basic and Clinical Neurosciences Research" in the omnibus solicitation. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- STRUCTURAL INFORMATION FRAMEWORK FOR BRAIN MAPPINGJames Brinkley; Fiscal Year: 2006..We will test this hypothesis by building at least two such STEMSs, and assessing their utility, both alone and in combination, in generating neuroscience results that would not have been easily generated without them. ..
- Integrity of the Pulmonary Blood-Gas BarrierJohn West; Fiscal Year: 2007..In addition, at the more basic level, this research is devoted to a fundamental biological dilemma of the lung, namely how the blood-gas barrier combines extreme thinness with immense strength. [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Pharmacist Intervention for Low Literacy in Cardiovascular Disease (PILL-CVD)Sunil Kripalani; Fiscal Year: 2009..Program costs will also be assessed. If successful, this intervention could offer an important means of reducing medication errors in the post-hospitalization period. ..
- A Novel Gnawing Assay to Quantify Nociception in Models of Chronic Orofacial PainBrian Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Multiple Factors Affecting Placebo Response in PDChristopher Goetz; Fiscal Year: 2004..Defining these determinant influences will help enhance placebo responses in clinical practice and control them in clinical trials. ..
- Predictive Markers for Oral Carcinoma MetastasisBrian Schmidt; Fiscal Year: 2008..unreadable] [unreadable] [unreadable]..