return to sport
Summary: Resumption of sporting activity following a hiatus or period of absence due to injury or other reasons.
- Hartigan E, Aucoin J, Carlson R, Klieber Kusak M, Murray T, Shaw B, et al. Relationships Between Knee Extension Moments During Weighted and Unweighted Gait and Strength Measures That Predict Knee Moments After ACL Reconstruction. Sports Health. 2017;9:356-363 pubmed publisher..Gait retraining is recommended to correct asymmetrical KEMI profiles used across gait tasks in women. ..
- Iverson G, Gardner A, Terry D, Ponsford J, Sills A, Broshek D, et al. Predictors of clinical recovery from concussion: a systematic review. Br J Sports Med. 2017;51:941-948 pubmed publisher..The literature on clinical recovery from sport-related concussion has grown dramatically, is mostly mixed, but some factors have emerged as being related to outcome. ..
- Dekker T, Godin J, Dale K, Garrett W, Taylor D, Riboh J. Return to Sport After Pediatric Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction and Its Effect on Subsequent Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:897-904 pubmed publisher..notch width index), surgical characteristics (graft type, surgical technique), measures of recovery (time to return to sport, duration of physical therapy), and patients' preoperative and postoperative sports involvement (primary and ..
- Nwachukwu B, Voleti P, Berkanish P, Chang B, Cohn M, Williams R, et al. Return to Play and Patient Satisfaction After ACL Reconstruction: Study with Minimum 2-Year Follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2017;99:720-725 pubmed publisher..Additionally, patients who returned to play were more likely to be very satisfied with the result of the ACLR. Therapeutic Level IV. See Instructions for Authors for a complete description of levels of evidence. ..
- Hainline B, Turner J, Cañeiro J, Stewart M, Lorimer Moseley G. Pain in elite athletes-neurophysiological, biomechanical and psychosocial considerations: a narrative review. Br J Sports Med. 2017;51:1259-1264 pubmed publisher..This narrative review provides a foundation for understanding the differing causes and types of pain in elite athletes, thereby serving as a springboard for comprehensive pain management. ..
- Katch R, Scarneo S, Adams W, Armstrong L, Belval L, Stamm J, et al. Top 10 Research Questions Related to Preventing Sudden Death in Sport and Physical Activity. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2017;88:251-268 pubmed publisher..The current evidence indicates that most deaths can be avoided when proper strategies are in place to prevent occurrence or provide optimal care. ..
- Williams S, Trewartha G, Kemp S, Cross M, Brooks J, Fuller C, et al. Subsequent Injuries and Early Recurrent Diagnoses in elite Rugby Union Players. Int J Sports Med. 2017;38:791-798 pubmed publisher..These findings may be used to drive targeted secondary prevention efforts, such as reconsideration of return-to-play protocols for neck muscle strain injuries. ..
- Vasileff W, Nekhline M, Kolowich P, Talpos G, Eyler W, van Holsbeeck M. Inguinal Hernia in Athletes: Role of Dynamic Ultrasound. Sports Health. 2017;9:414-421 pubmed publisher..Persistent groin pain in the athlete may relate to inguinal hernia, which can be diagnosed with dynamic ultrasound imaging. Herniorrhaphy is successful at returning athletes to sports activity. ..
- Ogon P, Izadpanah K, Eberbach H, Lang G, Sudkamp N, Maier D. Prognostic value of MRI in arthroscopic treatment of chronic patellar tendinopathy: a prospective cohort study. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:146 pubmed publisher..Moreover, current findings offer the potential for novel therapeutic approaches. ..
- Eberbach H, Hohloch L, Feucht M, Konstantinidis L, Sudkamp N, Zwingmann J. Operative versus conservative treatment of apophyseal avulsion fractures of the pelvis in the adolescents: a systematical review with meta-analysis of clinical outcome and return to sports. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2017;18:162 pubmed publisher..Especially in patients with fragment displacement greater 15 mm and high functional demands, surgical treatment should be considered. ..
- McLeod T, Lewis J, Whelihan K, Bacon C. Rest and Return to Activity After Sport-Related Concussion: A Systematic Review of the Literature. J Athl Train. 2017;52:262-287 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, there is a significant need to translate knowledge of best practices in concussion management to primary care providers. ..
- Ahmed O, Schneiders A, McCrory P, Sullivan S. Sport Concussion Management Using Facebook: A Feasibility Study of an Innovative Adjunct "iCon". J Athl Train. 2017;52:339-349 pubmed publisher..Athletic trainers should consider the role that multimedia technologies may play in assisting with the management of sport concussion. ..