Summary: The writing of history; the principles, theory, and history of historical writing; the product of historical writing. (Webster, 3d ed)
- Darnton R. On Clifford Geertz: field notes from the classroom. New York Rev Books. 2007;54:32-3 pubmed
- Smith R. The history of psychological categories. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2005;36:55-94 pubmed..The case is argued through a wide ranging review of the historiography of western psychology, first, in connection with the field's extreme modern diversity; second, in relation to ..
- Ascione V. [Some remarks on Pazzini's book collection]. Med Secoli. 2006;18:281-95 pubmed..Books were sent and dedicated to Pazzini by colleagues, mostly active in Italy and in the Spanish-speaking countries; many of them deal with the history of medicine, but some also with medicine itself. ..
- Caporale C, Corbellini G. Genetics and biotechnology in medicine historical, ethical, legal and social issues. Med Secoli. 2002;14:675-81 pubmed
- Reverby S. "Don't fence me in": connecting irony to power in the scholarship of Charles E. Rosenberg. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 2008;63:447-54 pubmed publisher..The question becomes, What kind of politics is it? The limitations of Rosenberg's ironic trope and its world weariness that can provide critique but no way to change is analyzed. ..
- Kraam A. The legacy of Kraepelin (essay review). Hist Psychiatry. 2002;13:475-80 pubmed
- Erlen J. The nursing history bibliographic project: doctoral dissertations in the history of nursing. Nurs Hist Rev. 2004;12:193-229 pubmed
- Quack J. [Methods and possibilities of research in medicine in ancient Egypt]. Medizinhist J. 2003;38:3-15 pubmed..Intensified research on the late period data will further clarify the issue of contacts to Greek medicine and of influences on Coptic medicine. ..
- Bruhn M. Life lines: An art history of biological research around 1800. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2011;42:368-80 pubmed publisher..for the understanding of biological thought around 1800 as well as for the development of the arts and their historiography. The article is based on an analysis of botanical treatises produced for the Göttingen Society of Sciences in ..
- Dunn P. Dr George Armstrong (1719-89) and his biographer, William Maloney MD (1882-1952). J Med Biogr. 2013;21:49-54 pubmed publisher..He also founded in London the first children's dispensary in 1769. Yet for 150 years his remarkable achievements were overlooked until rescued from obscurity in 1954 by an Edinburgh born physician, William Maloney. ..
- Karenberg A, Moog F. Next emperor, please! No end to retrospective diagnostics. J Hist Neurosci. 2004;13:143-9; discussion 166-7 pubmed
- Hendriksen M. Anatomical Mercury: Changing Understandings of Quicksilver, Blood, and the Lymphatic System, 1650-1800. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 2015;70:516-48 pubmed publisher..of complex and strongly interrelated historiographical categories such as mechanism, vitalism, chemistry, anatomy, and physiology, which are difficult to understand through a historiography that focuses exclusively on ideas.
- Morris P. The fall and rise of the history of recent chemistry. Ambix. 2011;58:238-56 pubmed..Several attempts have been made since the early 1980s to promote the history of recent chemistry, with mixed results. The current situation is assessed, and the paper concludes with a proposal for the entrenchment of the subject. ..
- Peset J. [Agustín Albarracín Teulón (1922-2001)]. Asclepio. 2002;54:3-6 pubmed
- Driesch A. Ethnoveterinary medicine: an aspect of the history of veterinary medicine. Hist Med Vet. 2002;27:131-41 pubmed
- Sander S. [The physician and cosmetics--distorted images reflected in German medical historiography]. Medizinhist J. 2003;37:265-300 pubmed..This is illustrated with special reference to the case of the Berlin doctor and medical historian Julius Leopold Pagel (1851-1912). ..
- Hirshbein L. History, memory, and profession: a view of American psychiatry through APA presidential addresses, 1883-2003. Am J Psychiatry. 2004;161:1755-63 pubmed..In the presidential addresses, history is not just a story about the past but also a story about psychiatry's self-definition and its future. ..
- Vieira M, Ferreira J. [Historical research: a tool for the professional development]. Servir. 2008;56:167-72 pubmed..If we wish to be read by a larger audience, nursing needs a new approach in the definition of historical questions and a new search for meanings. ..
- García Cárcel R. [On the death of Luis García Ballester]. Dynamis. 2002;22:485-6 pubmed
- Ocaña E. Social history of medicine in Spain: points of departure and directions for research. Soc Hist Med. 2000;13:495-513 pubmed
- Wright D. Papers from the Sixth Hannah Conference. Hist Psychiatry. 2003;14:275-9 pubmed
- Beretta M. The changing role of the historiography of chemistry in continental Europe since 1800. Ambix. 2011;58:257-76 pubmed..Moreover, historians of chemistry, both continental and Anglo-American, had a prominent role in establishing the history of science as an independent discipline. ..
- Boulinier G. [Notarial records concerning Rayer and his family]. Hist Sci Med. 2003;37:157-70 pubmed..At last, he shows that a more systematic search in notarial recordre could give him, later, a better knowledge of some aspects in the private life of Rayer and his family. ..
- Thillaud P. [One century of medical archaeology, iconodiagnosis and paleopathology]. Hist Sci Med. 2003;37:381-8 pubmed..For one century some members of the SFHM contributed to these sciences by their papers read to the SFHM. The author bears witness of their significant role in such scientific and medical areas. ..
- Nelson S. Tracking the traces: towards the recovery of pre-nineteenth-century practice. Nurs Inq. 2006;13:241 pubmed
- Burchett P. The "magical" language of Mantra. J Am Acad Relig. 2008;76:807-43 pubmed..While the issue is partly about flawed terms and categories, the question of mantra as magic ultimately leads to an unsettling confrontation with the limits of our own modern rationalist perspective. ..
- Montiel L. [About don Pedro Laín]. Dynamis. 2002;22:515-9 pubmed
- Kojevnikov A. The phenomenon of Soviet science. Osiris. 2008;23:115-35 pubmed..influences, rather than to the contrasts and dichotomies that have traditionally interested cold war-type historiography. The problem is considered at several levels: philosophical (Soviet thought on the relationship between ..
- de Chadarevian S. Microstudies versus big picture accounts?. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2009;40:13-9 pubmed publisher..In particular it investigates how the discussions are reflected in the historiography of molecular biology and the special questions posed by the disciplinary context...
- Naderi S, Dinc G. [Journal of Darulfunun School of Medicine (1916-1933)]. Tip Tarihi Arastirmalari. 2004;12:200-53 pubmed..The review of this journal contribute to the school of medicine and university historians, as well as it will be resource for the future studies in the field of history of medicine. ..
- Will H. [On the use and abuse of the history of psychoanalysis for psychoanalysis]. Luzif Amor. 2009;22:71-84 pubmedThis paper intends to stimulate reflection about the history and historiography of psychoanalysis...
- O Malley M, Boucher Y. Paradigm change in evolutionary microbiology. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2005;36:183-208 pubmed..Once Kuhn's application is limited to that of an initial investigative probe into how scientific problem-solving occurs, his disciplinary scope becomes broader. ..
- Wang Z. [On the historiographical attributes of bibliography and theories of school in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM)]. Zhonghua Yi Shi Za Zhi. 2010;40:42-4 pubmedThe historiography includes three parts: the writing of history; the study of the development of historical method, historical research and writing; and any body of historical literature...
- Platzek R. [Würzburg medicine in the middle ages. Remarks on a missed chance]. Sudhoffs Arch. 2004;88:226-43 pubmed..Our studies tell about the unfortunate circumstances that resulted in the failure to provide an accurate description of this teaching. ..
- Ambrose C. Osler and the black corpuscles: profiles of three early students of phagocytosis. J Med Biogr. 2007;15 Suppl 1:39-45 pubmed..Sternberg only theorized about phagocytosis but, unlike Osler, bitterly contested Metchnikoff's priority of discovery. ..
- Weisz G. Don Bates: the medical historian as educator, activist, and historian of science. Can Bull Med Hist. 2009;26:11-22 pubmed..The author outlines the academic and extra-academic career of Don Bates as a physician-historian, political activist, and creator of the interdisciplinary Department of Social Studies of Medicine at McGill University. ..
- Greenslit N. [Review of: Healy, David. The Creation of psychopharmacology. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press, 2002]. Hist Psychiatry. 2004;15:227-32 pubmed
- Randalls S. Optimal climate change: economics and climate science policy histories (from heuristic to normative). Osiris. 2011;26:224-42 pubmed..These debates are often technical and complex, but the argument in this article is that the development of a philosophy of climate change as an issue for cost-benefit analysis has had consequences for how climate policy is made today. ..
- Amoroso M. [Dialogues between Clio and Asclepius: Ivolino de Vasconcellos and the Revista Brasileira de História da Medicina]. Hist Cienc Saude Manguinhos. 2007;14:259-68 pubmed..Thus was born the Revista Brasileira de História da Medicina, which fostered scientific and academic production and events in the field of history of medicine and also registered the Federation's activities and scientific output. ..
- Brentjes S. Between doubts and certainties: on the place of history of science in Islamic societies within the field of history of science. NTM. 2003;11:65-79 pubmed..I ask what the possible causes for this situation are and what can be done to change the bleak situation. ..
- Rocha L. The way of sex: Joseph Needham and Jolan Chang. Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci. 2012;43:611-26 pubmed publisher..Science and Civilisation in China against materials in the Needham archives offers crucial hints to Needham's historiography and historical practice...
- Grenier G, Fleury M. [Medicine and health in French Canada: a historiography (1987-2000)]. Sci Can. 2002;26:29-58 pubmed..We shall identify a number of factors limiting its consolidation. ..
- Arda B. A model from Turkey on the history of the health sciences as seen from the point of view of scientific societies and their contributions-the Guest House Society. Vesalius. 2003;9:38-40 pubmed
- Kleingeld P. Kant on historiography and the use of regulative ideas. Stud Hist Philos Sci. 2008;39:523-8 pubmed..Kant's methodological analysis should be distinguished from the specific teleological model of history he developed on its basis, however, because this model can no longer be appropriated for current purposes. ..
- Cappelletti V. [Introduction: remembering Mirko D. Grmek]. Med Secoli. 2002;14:301-10 pubmed
- Laskaris J. The art is long: on the sacred disease and the scientific tradition. Stud Anc Med. 2002;25:1-171 pubmed
- Kochhar P. Information sought on lobotomy physician. J Psychosoc Nurs Ment Health Serv. 2004;42:14 pubmed
- Lietz N. [Outlooks of Bogdan Suchodolski on the issue of popularizing the history of science]. Kwart Hist Nauki Tech. 2011;56:37-55 pubmed..On this occasion the author draws definite conclusions concerning similarities and differences between the conception created by Bogdan Suchodolski, and the ideas that were put forward by his predecessor. ..
- Fara P. Claiming Copernicus. Endeavour. 2005;29:148-9 pubmed..As a German-speaking Pole he has been claimed as a figure of national historical importance by both Germany and Poland, and since the early 20th century has been an important symbol of Polish independence. ..