Genomes and Genes
Summary: Compounds with a 5-membered ring of four carbons and an oxygen. They are aromatic heterocycles. The reduced form is tetrahydrofuran.
- Gu Y, Qi C, Sun X, Ma X, Zhang H, Hu L, et al. Arctigenin preferentially induces tumor cell death under glucose deprivation by inhibiting cellular energy metabolism. Biochem Pharmacol. 2012;84:468-76 pubmed publisher..Hence, we propose that the combination of arctigenin and 2DG may represent a promising new cancer therapy with minimal normal tissue toxicity. ..
- Kim J, Hwang J, Cha M, Yoon M, Son E, Tomida A, et al. Arctigenin blocks the unfolded protein response and shows therapeutic antitumor activity. J Cell Physiol. 2010;224:33-40 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, ARC-G suppressed tumor growth of colon cancer HT-29 xenografts. Our results demonstrate that ARC-G can be served as a novel type of antitumor agent targeting the UPR in glucose-deprived solid tumors. ..
- Batista D, Batista M, de Oliveira G, do Amaral P, Lannes Vieira J, Britto C, et al. Arylimidamide DB766, a potential chemotherapeutic candidate for Chagas' disease treatment. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010;54:2940-52 pubmed publisher..Our data clearly show the trypanocidal efficacy of DB766, suggesting that this AIA may represent a new lead compound candidate to Chagas' disease treatment. ..
- Bender A, Opel D, Naumann I, Kappler R, Friedman L, von Schweinitz D, et al. PI3K inhibitors prime neuroblastoma cells for chemotherapy by shifting the balance towards pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 proteins and enhanced mitochondrial apoptosis. Oncogene. 2011;30:494-503 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeting PI3K presents a novel and promising strategy to sensitize neuroblastoma cells for chemotherapy-induced apoptosis, which has important implications for the development of targeted therapies for neuroblastoma. ..
- Donohoe T, Bower J. An expedient route to substituted furans via olefin cross-metathesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:3373-6 pubmed publisher..cocatalyst or subsequent Heck arylation, provides a concise and flexible entry to 2,5-di- or 2,3,5-tri-substituted furans. These cascade processes portend further opportunities for the regiocontrolled preparation of other highly ..
- Donev I, Wang W, Yamada T, Li Q, Takeuchi S, Matsumoto K, et al. Transient PI3K inhibition induces apoptosis and overcomes HGF-mediated resistance to EGFR-TKIs in EGFR mutant lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:2260-9 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that transient blockade of PI3K/Akt pathway by PI-103 and gefitinib could overcome HGF-mediated resistance to EGFR-TKIs by inducing apoptosis in EGFR mutant lung cancer. ..
- Zhao C, Szekely L, Bao W, Selivanova G. Rescue of p53 function by small-molecule RITA in cervical carcinoma by blocking E6-mediated degradation. Cancer Res. 2010;70:3372-81 pubmed publisher..These results provide a proof of principle for the treatment of cervical cancer in a p53-dependent manner by using small molecules that target p53. ..
- Zhang L, Tao L, Ruan J, Li W, Wu Y, Yan L, et al. Xanthatin induces G2/M cell cycle arrest and apoptosis in human gastric carcinoma MKN-45 cells. Planta Med. 2012;78:890-5 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our results suggest that xanthatin may have therapeutic potential against human gastric carcinoma. ..
- Lin J, Jin X, Bu Y, Cao D, Zhang N, Li S, et al. Efficient synthesis of RITA and its analogues: derivation of analogues with improved antiproliferative activity via modulation of p53/miR-34a pathway. Org Biomol Chem. 2012;10:9734-46 pubmed publisher..In summary, this study reports an effective synthetic approach for RITA and its analogues, and elucidates a novel antiproliferative mechanism of these compounds. ..
- Zhang L, Ruan J, Yan L, Li W, Wu Y, Tao L, et al. Xanthatin induces cell cycle arrest at G2/M checkpoint and apoptosis via disrupting NF-κB pathway in A549 non-small-cell lung cancer cells. Molecules. 2012;17:3736-50 pubmed publisher..These effects were associated with intrinsic apoptosis pathway and disrupted NF-κB signaling. These results suggested that xanthatin may have therapeutic potential against NSCLC. ..
- Dubbelman A, Rosing H, Jansen R, Mergui Roelvink M, Huitema A, Koetz B, et al. Mass balance study of [¹?C]eribulin in patients with advanced solid tumors. Drug Metab Dispos. 2012;40:313-21 pubmed publisher..4% in urine and feces. Overall, no major metabolites of eribulin were detected in plasma. Eribulin is eliminated primarily unchanged in feces, whereas urine constitutes a minor route of elimination...
- Cortes J, O Shaughnessy J, Loesch D, Blum J, Vahdat L, Petrakova K, et al. Eribulin monotherapy versus treatment of physician's choice in patients with metastatic breast cancer (EMBRACE): a phase 3 open-label randomised study. Lancet. 2011;377:914-23 pubmed publisher..This finding challenges the notion that improved overall survival is an unrealistic expectation during evaluation of new anticancer therapies in the refractory setting. Eisai. ..
- Perestrelo R, Barros A, Câmara J, Rocha S. In-depth search focused on furans, lactones, volatile phenols, and acetals as potential age markers of Madeira wines by comprehensive two-dimensional gas chromatography with time-of-flight mass spectrometry combined with solid phase microextraction. J Agric Food Chem. 2011;59:3186-204 pubmed publisher..Considering the chemical groups of furans, lactones, volatile phenols, and acetals, 103 volatile compounds were tentatively identified; among these, 71 have ..
- Twelves C, Cortes J, Vahdat L, Wanders J, Akerele C, Kaufman P. Phase III trials of eribulin mesylate (E7389) in extensively pretreated patients with locally recurrent or metastatic breast cancer. Clin Breast Cancer. 2010;10:160-3 pubmed publisher..Tumor assessments are carried out every 8 weeks in Study 305, and every 2 cycles (each of 3 weeks' duration) in Study 301. Safety is also assessed in both studies. ..
- Bhavsar S, Gewurtz S, Helm P, Labencki T, Marvin C, Fletcher R, et al. Estimating sediment quality thresholds to prevent restrictions on fish consumption: Application to polychlorinated biphenyls and dioxins-furans in the Canadian Great Lakes. Integr Environ Assess Manag. 2010;6:641-52 pubmed publisher..biota sediment accumulation factors (BSAFs) for polychlorinated biphenyls (total PCB) and polychlorinated dioxins-furans (PCDD/Fs) in the Canadian Great Lakes using measured lake sediment and fish tissue concentrations in 4 fish ..
- Huang S, Yu R, Gong J, Feng Y, Dai Y, Hu F, et al. Arctigenin, a natural compound, activates AMP-activated protein kinase via inhibition of mitochondria complex I and ameliorates metabolic disorders in ob/ob mice. Diabetologia. 2012;55:1469-81 pubmed publisher..This highlights the potential value of arctigenin as a possible treatment of type 2 diabetes. ..
- Aftimos P, Awada A. Survival benefit of eribulin mesylate in heavily pretreated metastatic breast cancer: what next?. Adv Ther. 2011;28:973-85 pubmed publisher..Future strategies of eribulin are being tested in ongoing trials, evaluating this drug in earlier metastatic lines as well as in the adjuvant and the neoadjuvant settings...
- Tang X, Zhuang J, Chen J, Yu L, Hu L, Jiang H, et al. Arctigenin efficiently enhanced sedentary mice treadmill endurance. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24224 pubmed publisher..Our results thus suggested that arctigenin might be used as a potential lead compound for the discovery of the agents with mimic exercise training effects to treat metabolic diseases. ..
- Hegazy M, Su J, Sung P, Sheu J. Cembranoids with 3,14-ether linkage and a secocembrane with bistetrahydrofuran from the Dongsha Atoll soft coral Lobophytum sp. Mar Drugs. 2011;9:1243-53 pubmed publisher..Among these metabolites, 1-4 are rarely found cembranoids possessing a tetrahydrofuran moiety with a 3,14-ether linkage. In addition, 5 is the first secocembrane possessing two tetrahydrofuran moieties with 3,14- and 4,7-ether linkages. ..
- Taur J, Desjardins C, Schuck E, Wong Y. Interactions between the chemotherapeutic agent eribulin mesylate (E7389) and P-glycoprotein in CF-1 abcb1a-deficient mice and Caco-2 cells. Xenobiotica. 2011;41:320-6 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that eribulin, given intravenously at the clinically relevant concentrations, may not alter P-gp-mediated disposition of concurrently administered drugs...
- Bakhiya N, Appel K. Toxicity and carcinogenicity of furan in human diet. Arch Toxicol. 2010;84:563-78 pubmed publisher..As this may give rise for concern, in this review, the currently available toxicological and mechanistic data of furan are summarized and discussed with regard to its applicability in assessing the risk of furan in human diet. ..
- Amiri H, Karimi K, Roodpeyma S. Production of furans from rice straw by single-phase and biphasic systems. Carbohydr Res. 2010;345:2133-8 pubmed publisher..In this study, rice straw, a cheap, abundant, and mainly unused agricultural waste, is converted to furans by a dilute acid hydrolysis process. The highest yield of HMF in a single-phase hydrolysis was 15...
- Opel D, Naumann I, Schneider M, Bertele D, Debatin K, Fulda S. Targeting aberrant PI3K/Akt activation by PI103 restores sensitivity to TRAIL-induced apoptosis in neuroblastoma. Clin Cancer Res. 2011;17:3233-47 pubmed publisher..Thus, PI3K inhibitors represent a novel promising approach to enhance the efficacy of TRAIL-based treatment protocols in neuroblastoma. ..
- During A, Debouche C, Raas T, Larondelle Y. Among plant lignans, pinoresinol has the strongest antiinflammatory properties in human intestinal Caco-2 cells. J Nutr. 2012;142:1798-805 pubmed
- Towle M, Nomoto K, Asano M, Kishi Y, Yu M, Littlefield B. Broad spectrum preclinical antitumor activity of eribulin (Halaven(R)): optimal effectiveness under intermittent dosing conditions. Anticancer Res. 2012;32:1611-9 pubmed
- Morris P. Advances in therapy: eribulin improves survival for metastatic breast cancer. Anticancer Drugs. 2010;21:885-9 pubmed publisher..Future studies will investigate the potential role of eribulin in other settings, including for early breast cancer, to ascertain how to optimally incorporate this new agent into current treatment paradigms. ..
- Bagci Onder T, Wakimoto H, Anderegg M, Cameron C, Shah K. A dual PI3K/mTOR inhibitor, PI-103, cooperates with stem cell-delivered TRAIL in experimental glioma models. Cancer Res. 2011;71:154-63 pubmed publisher..Our findings offer a preclinical rationale for application of mechanism-based systemically delivered antiproliferative agents and novel stem cell-based proapoptotic therapies to improve treatment of malignant gliomas. ..
- Lee J, Kim C. Arctigenin, a phenylpropanoid dibenzylbutyrolactone lignan, inhibits type I-IV allergic inflammation and pro-inflammatory enzymes. Arch Pharm Res. 2010;33:947-57 pubmed publisher..Our results show that arctigenin significantly inhibited B- and T-cell mediated allergic inflammation as well as pro-inflammatory enzymes. ..
- Liu C, Zhong S, Chen R, Wu Y, Zhu X. Two new compounds from the dried tender stems of Cinnamomum cassia. J Asian Nat Prod Res. 2009;11:845-9 pubmed publisher..7 microM. Compounds 3-8 were isolated from the title plant for the first time...
- Sun H, Frassetto L, Huang Y, Benet L. Hepatic clearance, but not gut availability, of erythromycin is altered in patients with end-stage renal disease. Clin Pharmacol Ther. 2010;87:465-72 pubmed publisher..As expected, plasma levels of CMPF and Indox were significantly higher in the patients than in the healthy controls. However, no correlation was observed between CL(H) of ER and the levels of uremic toxins. ..
- Workman P, Clarke P, Raynaud F, Van Montfort R. Drugging the PI3 kinome: from chemical tools to drugs in the clinic. Cancer Res. 2010;70:2146-57 pubmed publisher..The challenges and outlook for drugging the PI3 kinome are discussed in the more general context of the role of structural biology and chemical biology in innovative drug discovery. ..
- Cortes J, Vahdat L, Blum J, Twelves C, Campone M, Roche H, et al. Phase II study of the halichondrin B analog eribulin mesylate in patients with locally advanced or metastatic breast cancer previously treated with an anthracycline, a taxane, and capecitabine. J Clin Oncol. 2010;28:3922-8 pubmed publisher..9% of patients (no grade 4). Eribulin demonstrated antitumor activity in extensively pretreated patients who had previously received an anthracycline, taxane, and capecitabine, with a manageable tolerability profile. ..
- Aogi K, Iwata H, Masuda N, Mukai H, Yoshida M, Rai Y, et al. A phase II study of eribulin in Japanese patients with heavily pretreated metastatic breast cancer. Ann Oncol. 2012;23:1441-8 pubmed publisher..1%), leukopenia (74.1%) and febrile neutropenia (13.6%). Grade 3 peripheral neuropathy occurred in 3.7% of patients (no grade 4). Eribulin exhibited efficacy and tolerability in Japanese patients with heavily pretreated MBC. ..
- Sun S, Wang X, Wang C, Nawaz A, Wei W, Li J, et al. Arctigenin suppresses unfolded protein response and sensitizes glucose deprivation-mediated cytotoxicity of cancer cells. Planta Med. 2011;77:141-5 pubmed publisher..These observations bring a new insight into the mechanism of action of arctigenin and may lead to the design of new anticancer therapeutics. ..
- Zhao C, Grinkevich V, Nikulenkov F, Bao W, Selivanova G. Rescue of the apoptotic-inducing function of mutant p53 by small molecule RITA. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:1847-55 pubmed..Thus, RITA is a promising lead for the development of anti-cancer drugs that reactivate the tumor suppressor function of p53 in cancer cells irrespective whether they express mutant or wild type p53. ..
- Zhang M, Irwin D, Li X, Sauriol F, Shi X, Wang Y, et al. PPAR? agonist from Chromolaena odorata. J Nat Prod. 2012;75:2076-81 pubmed publisher..All the compounds were evaluated for their PPAR? transactivation activity, and compound 6 showed moderate activity with an EC(50) value of 3.10 ?M. ..
- Newcomer B, Marley M, Galik P, Walz P, Zhang Y, Riddell K, et al. Antiviral treatment of calves persistently infected with bovine viral diarrhoea virus. Antivir Chem Chemother. 2012;22:171-9 pubmed publisher..Results demonstrate that DB772 administration is safe and exhibits antiviral properties in PI calves while facilitating the rapid development of viral resistance to this novel therapeutic agent. ..
- Alkazemi D, Egeland G, Roberts L, Kubow S. Isoprostanes and isofurans as non-traditional risk factors for cardiovascular disease among Canadian Inuit. Free Radic Res. 2012;46:1258-66 pubmed publisher..Simultaneous measurement of IsoFs provides an advantageous mechanistic insight into oxidative stress not captured by F?-IsoPs alone. ..
- Moon D, Kim M, Nam T, Kim S, Choi Y, Kim G. Pectenotoxin-2 induces G2/M phase cell cycle arrest in human breast cancer cells via ATM and Chk1/2-mediated phosphorylation of cdc25C. Oncol Rep. 2010;24:271-6 pubmed..We also observed that PTX-2-induced cell cycle arrest was not restricted to p53 status in human breast cancer cells. ..
- Huang G, Hsieh W, Chang H, Huang S, Lin Y, Kuo Y. ?-Glucosidase and aldose reductase inhibitory activities from the fruiting body of Phellinus merrillii. J Agric Food Chem. 2011;59:5702-6 pubmed publisher..The importance of finding effective antidiabetic therapeutics led us to further investigate natural compounds. ..
- Lee I, Joh E, Kim D. Arctigenin isolated from the seeds of Arctium lappa ameliorates memory deficits in mice. Planta Med. 2011;77:1525-7 pubmed publisher..o.). Arctigenin also significantly reversed scopolamine-induced memory deficits in the Y-maze and Morris water maze tests. On the basis of these findings, arctigenin may ameliorate memory deficits by inhibiting AChE. ..
- Fiorini C, Menegazzi M, Padroni C, Dando I, Dalla Pozza E, Gregorelli A, et al. Autophagy induced by p53-reactivating molecules protects pancreatic cancer cells from apoptosis. Apoptosis. 2013;18:337-46 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate for the first time a survival role for autophagy induced by p53-reactivating molecules, supporting the development of an anti-cancer therapy based on autophagy inhibition associated to p53 activation. ..
- Hayashi K, Narutaki K, Nagaoka Y, Hayashi T, Uesato S. Therapeutic effect of arctiin and arctigenin in immunocompetent and immunocompromised mice infected with influenza A virus. Biol Pharm Bull. 2010;33:1199-205 pubmed..Thus, monotherapy of arctiin or combined therapy of arctiin with oseltamivir would be another treatment option for influenza. ..
- Smith J, Wilson L, Azarenko O, Zhu X, Lewis B, Littlefield B, et al. Eribulin binds at microtubule ends to a single site on tubulin to suppress dynamic instability. Biochemistry. 2010;49:1331-7 pubmed publisher..Overall, our results indicate that eribulin binds with high affinity to microtubule plus ends and thereby suppresses dynamic instability. ..
- Everett C, Thompson O. Associations of dioxins, furans and dioxin-like PCBs with diabetes and pre-diabetes: is the toxic equivalency approach useful?. Environ Res. 2012;118:107-11 pubmed publisher..9% was associated with 34.16-81.57 TEQ fg/g (odds ratio 2.00, 95% CI 1.06-3.77) and with ?81.58 TEQ fg/g (odds ratio 2.48, 95% CI 1.21-5.11), indicating that half the population has elevated risk for this combination of conditions. ..
- Wozniak K, Nomoto K, Lapidus R, Wu Y, Carozzi V, Cavaletti G, et al. Comparison of neuropathy-inducing effects of eribulin mesylate, paclitaxel, and ixabepilone in mice. Cancer Res. 2011;71:3952-62 pubmed publisher..Overall, our findings indicate that eribulin mesylate induces less neuropathy in mice than paclitaxel or ixabepilone at equivalent MTD-based doses. ..
- Abdullah R, Ishak C, Kadir W, Bakar R. Characterization and Feasibility Assessment of Recycled Paper Mill Sludges for Land Application in Relation to the Environment. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015;12:9314-29 pubmed publisher..properties, heavy metals, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, (13)C-NMR spectra and for the presence of dioxins/furans. The RPMS was dewatered, sticky with a strong odour, an average moisture of 65.08%, pH 7...
- Wimmerova S, van den Berg M, Chovancova J, Patayová H, Jusko T, van Duursen M, et al. Relative effect potency estimates of dioxin-like activity for dioxins, furans, and dioxin-like PCBs in adults based on cytochrome P450 1A1 and 1B1 gene expression in blood. Environ Int. 2016;96:24-33 pubmed publisher..While the CYP 1A1 seems more suitable for toxicity evaluation of PCDD/Fs, the CYP 1B1 is more apt for PCDFs and PCBs and reflects different pathways. ..
- Shen Z, Dhayalan V, Benischke A, Greiner R, Karaghiosoff K, Mayer P, et al. Polyfunctional Lithium, Magnesium, and Zinc Alkenyl Reagents as Building Blocks for the Synthesis of Complex Heterocycles. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2016;55:5332-6 pubmed publisher..and used for an expeditive construction of various polyfunctionalized 5-, 6-, and 7-membered heterocycles, such as furans, pyrroles, quinolines, benzo[b]thieno-[2,3-b]pyridine, naphthyridines, fused pyrazoles, and 2,3-dihydro-benzo[c]..