Genomes and Genes
Summary: A pyrrole and heptanoic acid derivative,HYDROXYMETHYLGLUTARYL-COA REDUCTASE INHIBITOR (statin), and ANTICHOLESTEREMIC AGENT that is used to reduce serum levels of LDL-CHOLESTEROL; APOLIPOPROTEIN B; AND TRIGLYCERIDES and to increase serum levels of HDL-CHOLESTEROL in the treatment of HYPERLIPIDEMIAS and prevention of CARDIOVASCULAR DISEASES in patients with multiple risk factors.
- Melendez Q, Wooten C, Lopez D. Atorvastatin and lovastatin, but not pravastatin, increased cellular complex formation between PCSK9 and the LDL receptor in human hepatocyte-like C3A cells. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017;492:103-108 pubmed publisher..These results may explain why Prav works better for statin intolerant patients than other statins such as Atorv and Lov. ..
- Ovrakh T, Serik S, Kochubiei O. [IMPACT OF ATORVASTATIN AND ROSUVASTATIN ON RESIDUAL ON-CLOPIDOGREL TREATMENT PLATELET REACTIVITY IN PATIENTS WITH ISCHEMIC HEART DISEASE AND TYPE 2 DIABETES MELLITUS AFTER ACUTE CORONARY SYNDROME]. Georgian Med News. 2017;:7-14 pubmed..This approach will provide lower RCPR within at least first 4-6 weeks after ACS and prevent RCPR increase during 12 months of DATT use in this patients group. ..
- Pasha R, Moon T. Coenzyme Q10 protects against statin-induced myotoxicity in zebrafish larvae (Danio rerio). Environ Toxicol Pharmacol. 2017;52:150-160 pubmed publisher..Together, the implication of our results contributes to the understanding of the mechanisms of action of the statin-induced damage in this model fish species. ..
- Wiggers J, van Golen R, Verheij J, Dekker A, van Gulik T, Heger M. Atorvastatin does not protect against ischemia-reperfusion damage in cholestatic rat livers. BMC Surg. 2017;17:35 pubmed publisher..These patients require (pharmacological) interventions that specifically target the cholestasis-associated hepatopathology. ..
- Liang J, Yin K, Cao X, Han Z, Huang Q, Zhang L, et al. Attenuation of Low Ambient Temperature-Induced Myocardial Hypertrophy by Atorvastatin via Promoting Bcl-2 Expression. Cell Physiol Biochem. 2017;41:286-295 pubmed publisher..Atv attenuated myocardial hypertrophy induced by cold exposure through inhibiting the downregulation of Bcl-2 in heart. It may provide a novel strategy for low temperature-induced myocardial hypertrophy treatment. ..
- Solberg R, Smith R, Almlöf M, Tewolde E, Nilsen H, Johansen H. Legumain expression, activity and secretion are increased during monocyte-to-macrophage differentiation and inhibited by atorvastatin. Biol Chem. 2015;396:71-80 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, in our study, the active legumain produced by M2 macrophages was found to be inhibited by atorvastatin, which was reflected in aberrant cellular expression and processing. ..
- Mather J, Corradi J, Waszynski C, Noyes A, Duan Y, Grady J, et al. Statin and Its Association With Delirium in the Medical ICU. Crit Care Med. 2017;45:1515-1522 pubmed publisher..Randomized trials of various statin types in hospitalized patients prone to delirium should validate their use in protection from delirium. ..
- Bedi P, Chalmers J, Graham C, Clarke A, Donaldson S, Doherty C, et al. A Randomized Controlled Trial of Atorvastatin in Patients With Bronchiectasis Infected With Pseudomonas Aeruginosa: A Proof of Concept Study. Chest. 2017;152:368-378 pubmed publisher..These effects may be due to an ability of atorvastatin to modulate neutrophil activation. ClinicalTrials.gov; No.: NCT01299194; URL: www.clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Kamata T, Giblett S, Pritchard C. KRASG12D expression in lung-resident myeloid cells promotes pulmonary LCH-like neoplasm sensitive to statin treatment. Blood. 2017;130:514-526 pubmed publisher..In vivo treatment of the KRASG12D-induced LCH-like mouse with the cholesterol-lowering drug atorvastatin ameliorated the pathology, implicating statins as potential therapeutics against a subset of pulmonary LCH. ..
- Zhu B, Gong Y, Yan G, Wang D, Wang Q, Qiao Y, et al. Atorvastatin treatment modulates p16 promoter methylation to regulate p16 expression. FEBS J. 2017;284:1868-1881 pubmed publisher..Taken together, we demonstrated that atorvastatin inhibits neointima formation through inducing p16 expression by affecting DNA methylation in the p16 promoter region. ..
- Yu H, Sun S, Gu X, Wang W, Gao X. Atorvastatin prolongs the lifespan of radiation?induced reactive oxygen species in PC-3 prostate cancer cells to enhance the cell killing effect. Oncol Rep. 2017;37:2049-2056 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, ATO enhanced the cell killing effect of irradiation by reducing endogenous ROS levels and prolonging the lifespan of radiation?induced ROS via a decrease in the level of NOXs and SOD activity. ..
- Solomenchuk T, Semegen Bodak K, Slaba N, Chngrian G, Mysyshin M. [Proaterogenic metabolic disorders in patients with chronic kidney disease nondiabetic origin: possibility of statin therapy]. Kardiologiia. 2014;54:40-3 pubmed
- Patel J, Snaith C, Thickett D, Linhartová L, Melody T, Hawkey P, et al. Randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial of 40 mg/day of atorvastatin in reducing the severity of sepsis in ward patients (ASEPSIS Trial). Crit Care. 2012;16:R231 pubmed publisher..Acute administration of atorvastatin in patients with sepsis may prevent sepsis progression. Further multi-centre trials are required to verify these findings. International Standard Randomized Control Trial Registry ISRCTN64637517. ..
- Ma H, Liu Y, Xie H, Zhang G, Zhan H, Liu Z, et al. The renoprotective effects of simvastatin and atorvastatin in patients with acute coronary syndrome undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: An observational study. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7351 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results indicate that simvastatin has comparable renoprotective effects to atorvastatin in ACS patients undergoing PCI. Further studies are warranted to confirm the comparative renoprotective effects of statins. ..
- Dolci G, Portela L, Onofre de Souza D, Medeiros Fossati A. Atorvastatin-induced osteoclast inhibition reduces orthodontic relapse. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017;151:528-538 pubmed publisher..This phenomenon sheds light on OPG as a molecular target that modulates maxillary bone metabolism and orthodontic relapse. ..
- Madbouly Taha N, Salah A Yousof H, El Sayed S, Younis A, Ismail Negm M. Atorvastatin repurposing for the treatment of cryptosporidiosis in experimentally immunosuppressed mice. Exp Parasitol. 2017;181:57-69 pubmed publisher..infection in the small intestine, colon, stomach and lungs of infected immunosuppressed mice in comparison to that induced by either Nitazoxanide or Atorvastatin alone. ..
- Bei W, Chen S, Li H, Wu D, Duan C, Chen P, et al. Comparing common doses (double-dose vs usual-dose) of atorvastatin for preventing contrast-induced acute kidney injury and mortality after coronary angiography. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7501 pubmed publisher..However, it increased the risk of CI-AKI in patients with a high contrast volume/CrCl. ..
- Zhang K, Zhai S, Zhang Z, Li K, Li T. Effect of Atorvastatin on lower extremity function of patients with hypertension and peripheral arterial disease. Pak J Pharm Sci. 2017;30:325-327 pubmed..01). Short-term therapy with atorvastatin can significantly delay the decline of the walking speed in short distance and improve the lower-extremity function of patients with hypertension and PAD. ..
- Kilit C, Koçak F, Paşalı Kilit T. Comparison of the effects of high-dose atorvastatin and high-dose rosuvastatin on oxidative stress in patients with acute myocardial infarction: A pilot study. Turk Kardiyol Dern Ars. 2017;45:235-243 pubmed publisher..Atorvastatin and rosuvastatin have similar effects on oxidative status in patients with AMI. Rosuvastatin affected HDL-C level more favorably than atorvastatin. ..
- Bowman L, Chen F, Sammons E, Hopewell J, Wallendszus K, Stevens W, et al. Randomized Evaluation of the Effects of Anacetrapib through Lipid-modification (REVEAL)-A large-scale, randomized, placebo-controlled trial of the clinical effects of anacetrapib among people with established vascular disease: Trial design, recruitme. Am Heart J. 2017;187:182-190 pubmed publisher..However, it is not known if these apparently favorable lipid changes translate into reductions in cardiovascular events...
- Walker M, Souza P, Colas R, Dalli J. 13-Series resolvins mediate the leukocyte-platelet actions of atorvastatin and pravastatin in inflammatory arthritis. FASEB J. 2017;31:3636-3648 pubmed publisher..Walker, M. E., Souza, P. R., Colas, R. A., Dalli, J. 13-Series resolvins mediate the leukocyte-platelet actions of atorvastatin and pravastatin in inflammatory arthritis. ..
- Safarova M, Trukhacheva E, Ezhov M, Afanas eva O, Afanas eva M, Tripoten M, et al. [Pleiotropic effects of nicotinic acid therapy in men with coronary heart disease and elevated lipoprotein(a) levels]. Kardiologiia. 2011;51:9-16 pubmed..This is the first study providing the evidence of using Lp(a) as one of therapeutic targets in patients with high Lp(a) levels for achieving beneficial effect on a surrogate marker of atherosclerosis. ..
- Quintana A, Hernandez J, Gonzalez C. Functional analysis of the zebrafish ortholog of HMGCS1 reveals independent functions for cholesterol and isoprenoids in craniofacial development. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0180856 pubmed publisher..Moreover, our results describe a novel function for isoprenoids in facial development and collectively suggest that cholesterol regulates craniofacial development through versatile mechanisms. ..
- Qiu S, Zhuo W, Sun C, Su Z, Yan A, Shen L. Effects of atorvastatin on chronic subdural hematoma: A systematic review. Medicine (Baltimore). 2017;96:e7290 pubmed publisher..Further high-quality studies focused on dosage, duration, hematoma size are needed to further elucidate the role of atorvastatin in the management of CSDH. ..
- Rosenson R, Farkouh M, Mefford M, Bittner V, Brown T, Taylor B, et al. Trends in Use of High-Intensity Statin Therapy After Myocardial Infarction, 2011 to 2014. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69:2696-2706 pubmed publisher..The use of high-intensity statins following hospitalization for MI increased progressively from 2011 through 2014. ..
- Daka A, Dimovski A, Kapedanovska A, Vavlukis M, Eftimov A, Labachevski N, et al. Effects of single nucleotide polymorphisms and haplotypes of the SLCO1B1 gene on the pharmacokinetic profile of atorvastatin in healthy Macedonian volunteers. Pharmazie. 2015;70:480-8 pubmed..521T > C and c.571T > C SNPs may affect the inter-individual response to atorvastatin. Additional studies, with a large sample size, are needed to confirm this finding. ..
- Lin L, Huang C, Chen J, Wu T, Leu H, Huang P, et al. Effects of pitavastatin versus atorvastatin on the peripheral endothelial progenitor cells and vascular endothelial growth factor in high-risk patients: a pilot prospective, double-blind, randomized study. Cardiovasc Diabetol. 2014;13:111 pubmed publisher..This trial is registered at ClinicalTrials.gov, NCT01386853. ..
- Li J, Liu J, Liang Z, He F, Yang L, Li P, et al. Simvastatin and Atorvastatin inhibit DNA replication licensing factor MCM7 and effectively suppress RB-deficient tumors growth. Cell Death Dis. 2017;8:e2673 pubmed publisher..The present work demonstrates that 'old' lipid-lowering drugs statins are novel weapons against RB-deficient tumors due to their effects on suppressing MCM7 protein levels. ..
- Yu Y, Zhu C, Liu C, Gao Y. Effect of Prior Atorvastatin Treatment on the Frequency of Hospital Acquired Pneumonia and Evolution of Biomarkers in Patients with Acute Ischemic Stroke: A Multicenter Prospective Study. Biomed Res Int. 2017;2017:5642704 pubmed publisher..This clinical study has been registered with ChiCTR-ROC-17010633 in Chinese Clinical Trial Registry. ..
- Kim J, Lee E, Lee E, Lee Y, Yoo H, Choi J, et al. Atorvastatin inhibits osteoclastogenesis by decreasing the expression of RANKL in the synoviocytes of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Res Ther. 2012;14:R187 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that atorvastatin inhibits osteoclastogenesis and bone destruction in RA patients. ..
- Madonna R, Renna F, Lanuti P, Perfetti M, Marchisio M, Briguori C, et al. The acute impact of high-dose lipid-lowering treatment on endothelial progenitor cells in patients with coronary artery disease-The REMEDY-EPC early substudy. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0172800 pubmed publisher..19(7), ii. 5(4), iii. 25(13), iv. 15(24)]. In this study, we found no evidence of acute changes in levels or activity of EPCs and CECs after high-dose lipid-lowering therapy in stable CAD patients. ..
- Akershoek J, Brouwer K, Vlig M, Boekema B, Beelen R, Middelkoop E, et al. Differential effects of Losartan and Atorvastatin in partial and full thickness burn wounds. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0179350 pubmed publisher..Atorvastatin seems to accelerate the healing process in full thickness wounds possibly by dampening the pro-inflammatory response. ..
- Squizzato A, Romualdi E, Dentali F, Ageno W. Statins for acute ischemic stroke. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2011;:CD007551 pubmed publisher..Insufficient data were available from randomized trials to establish if statins are safe and effective in cases of acute ischemic stroke and TIA. ..
- Zhang X, Chen X, Zhao W, Zeng C, Luo X, Li W, et al. GlcNAc Conjugated Atorvastatin with Enhanced Water Solubility and Cellular Internalization. Bioconjug Chem. 2017;28:2109-2113 pubmed publisher..Moreover, both G-AT and G-K-AT were able to release atorvastatin and consequently achieve significant inhibition against 3-hydroxy-3-methyl-glutaryl-coenzyme A (HMG-CoA) reductase...