Genomes and Genes
Summary: Educational attainment or level of education of individuals.
Publications334 found, 100 shown here
- Socioeconomic inequalities in health in 22 European countriesJohan P Mackenbach
Department of Public Health, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
N Engl J Med 358:2468-81. 2008..Comparisons among countries can help to identify opportunities for the reduction of inequalities in health. We compared the magnitude of inequalities in mortality and self-assessed health among 22 countries in all parts of Europe...
- Low health literacy and health outcomes: an updated systematic reviewNancy D Berkman
Program on Health Care Quality and Outcomes, Division of Health Services and Social Policy Research, RTI International, Research Triangle Park, North Carolina 27709 2194, USA
Ann Intern Med 155:97-107. 2011..Approximately 80 million Americans have limited health literacy, which puts them at greater risk for poorer access to care and poorer health outcomes...
- Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data--or tears: an application to educational enrollments in states of IndiaD Filmer
Development Research Group, World Bank, 1818 H Street NW, Washington, DC 20433, USA
Demography 38:115-32. 2001..On average a "rich" child is 31 percentage points more likely to be enrolled than a "poor" child, but this gap varies from only 4.6 percentage points in Kerala to 38.2 in Uttar Pradesh and 42.6 in Bihar...
- Quick assessment of literacy in primary care: the newest vital signBarry D Weiss
University of Arizona College of Medicine, Department of Family and Community Medicine, Tucson 85719, USA
Ann Fam Med 3:514-22. 2005..Our objective was to develop a quick and accurate screening test for limited literacy available in English and Spanish...
- Agreement between self-report questionnaires and medical record data was substantial for diabetes, hypertension, myocardial infarction and stroke but not for heart failureYuji Okura
Division of Cardiovascular Diseases and Internal Medicine, Department of Health Science Research, Mayo Clinic and Foundation, 200 First St SW, Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA
J Clin Epidemiol 57:1096-103. 2004..Agreement between questionnaire responses and a criterion standard is important for optimal disease prevalence estimates. We measured the agreement between self-reported disease and medical record diagnosis of disease...
- Poverty and obesity: the role of energy density and energy costsAdam Drewnowski
Center for Public Health Nutrition, Department of Epidemiology, University of Washington, Seattle, WA 98195, USA
Am J Clin Nutr 79:6-16. 2004..More and more Americans are becoming overweight and obese while consuming more added sugars and fats and spending a lower percentage of their disposable income on food...
- Developmental potential in the first 5 years for children in developing countriesSally Grantham-McGregor
Centre for International Child Health, Institute of Child Health, University College London, UK
Lancet 369:60-70. 2007..These disadvantaged children are likely to do poorly in school and subsequently have low incomes, high fertility, and provide poor care for their children, thus contributing to the intergenerational transmission of poverty...
- The test of functional health literacy in adults: a new instrument for measuring patients' literacy skillsR M Parker
Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30303, USA
J Gen Intern Med 10:537-41. 1995..Data suggest that a high proportion of patients cannot perform basic reading tasks. Additional work is needed to determine the prevalence of functional health illiteracy and its effect on the health care experience...
- Prevalence of intimate partner violence: findings from the WHO multi-country study on women's health and domestic violenceClaudia Garcia-Moreno
WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 368:1260-9. 2006....
- Socioeconomic inequalities in depression: a meta-analysisV Lorant
Health Systems Research, School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Universite Catholique de Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
Am J Epidemiol 157:98-112. 2003..Nonetheless, the authors found compelling evidence for socioeconomic inequality in depression. Strategies for tackling inequality in depression are needed, especially in relation to the course of the disorder...
- Association of health literacy with diabetes outcomesDean Schillinger
University of California, San Francisco, Primary Care Research Center, Department of Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, San Francisco, CA 94110, USA
JAMA 288:475-82. 2002..Little is known about the extent to which health literacy affects clinical health outcomes...
- Trust and sources of health information: the impact of the Internet and its implications for health care providers: findings from the first Health Information National Trends SurveyBradford W Hesse
National Cancer Institute, 6130 Executive Boulevard, MSC 7365, Bethesda, MD 20892, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:2618-24. 2005..The objective of this study was to provide nationally representative estimates for health-related uses of the Internet, level of trust in health information sources, and preferences for cancer information sources...
- Widening socioeconomic inequalities in mortality in six Western European countriesJohan P Mackenbach
Department of Public Health, Erasmus Medical Center, PO Box 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Epidemiol 32:830-7. 2003....
- Understanding differences in health behaviors by educationDavid M Cutler
Department of Economics, Harvard University and NBER, 1875 Cambridge Street, Cambridge, MA 02138, United States
J Health Econ 29:1-28. 2010..Our proxies for discounting, risk aversion, or the value of future do not account for any of the education gradient, and neither do personality factors such as a sense of control of oneself or over one's life...
- The descriptive epidemiology of sitting. A 20-country comparison using the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ)Adrian Bauman
Prevention Research Collaboration, Sydney University, Sydney, Australia
Am J Prev Med 41:228-35. 2011..Recent epidemiologic evidence points to the health risks of prolonged sitting, that are independent of physical activity, but few papers have reported the descriptive epidemiology of sitting in population studies with adults...
- Closing the loop: physician communication with diabetic patients who have low health literacyDean Schillinger
Primary Care Research Center, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, 94110, USA
Arch Intern Med 163:83-90. 2003..It is not known how frequently physicians apply this interactive educational strategy, or whether it is associated with improved health outcomes...
- Development of a brief test to measure functional health literacyD W Baker
Department of Medicine, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, MetroHealth Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44109 1998, USA
Patient Educ Couns 38:33-42. 1999..The S-TOFHLA is a practical measure of functional health literacy with good reliability and validity that can be used by health educators to identify individuals who require special assistance to achieve learning goals...
- Rates and determinants of repeated participation in a web-based behavior change program for healthy body weight and healthy lifestyleMarieke W Verheijden
TNO Quality of Life, CE Leiden, The Netherlands
J Med Internet Res 9:e1. 2007..However, because of the known dose-response relationship between the intensity and frequency of counseling and the behavior change outcomes, selective retention may also be a concern...
- Factors associated with success in medical school: systematic review of the literatureEamonn Ferguson
School of Psychology, University of Nottingham, Nottingham NG7 2RD, UK
BMJ 324:952-7. 2002
- The meaning and the measure of health literacyDavid W Baker
Division of General Internal Medicine and the Institute for Healthcare Studies, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:878-83. 2006
- Health literacy and mortality among elderly personsDavid W Baker
Division of General Internal Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 676 N St Clair St, Suite 200, Chicago, IL 60611 2927, USA
Arch Intern Med 167:1503-9. 2007..We sought to determine whether low health literacy levels independently predict overall and cause-specific mortality...
- The prevalence of limited health literacyMichael K Paasche-Orlow
Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02118, USA
J Gen Intern Med 20:175-84. 2005..To systematically review U.S. studies examining the prevalence of limited health literacy and to synthesize these findings by evaluating demographic associations in pooled analyses...
- Literacy and health outcomes: a systematic review of the literatureDarren A DeWalt
RTI International University of North Carolina Evidence based Practice Center, Research Triangle Park, NC 27599, USA
J Gen Intern Med 19:1228-39. 2004..To review the relationship between literacy and health outcomes...
- Physical Activity Across the Curriculum (PAAC): a randomized controlled trial to promote physical activity and diminish overweight and obesity in elementary school childrenJoseph E Donnelly
The Center for Physical Activity and Weight Management, The Schiefelbusch Institute for Lifespan Studies, 1301 Sunnyside Ave, Rm 100 Robinson Center, University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS 66045, USA
Prev Med 49:336-41. 2009..Physical Activity Across the Curriculum (PAAC) was a three-year cluster randomized controlled trial to promote physical activity and diminish increases in overweight and obesity in elementary school children...
- Why do people postpone parenthood? Reasons and social policy incentivesMelinda Mills
Department of Sociology ICS, University of Groningen, Grote Rozenstraat 31, 9712 TG Groningen, The Netherlands
Hum Reprod Update 17:848-60. 2011....
- Trends in smoking behaviour between 1985 and 2000 in nine European countries by educationK Giskes
Department of Public Health, Erasmus Medical Centre, 3000DR Rotterdam, Netherlands
J Epidemiol Community Health 59:395-401. 2005..To examine whether trends in smoking behaviour in Western Europe between 1985 and 2000 differed by education group...
- Obesity and periodontal disease in young, middle-aged, and older adultsMohammad S Al-Zahrani
Department of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44106, USA
J Periodontol 74:610-5. 2003..The purpose of the present study is to examine the relation between body weight and periodontal disease in a representative United States sample...
- Variations in patients' adherence to medical recommendations: a quantitative review of 50 years of researchM Robin Dimatteo
Department of Psychology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521, USA
Med Care 42:200-9. 2004..The literature on patient adherence to treatment includes hundreds of empirical studies. A comprehensive examination of the findings requires the organization and quantification that is possible with meta-analysis...
- The causal pathways linking health literacy to health outcomesMichael K Paasche-Orlow
Section of General Internal Medicine, Department of Medicine, Boston University School of Medicine and Boston University Medical Center, Boston, MA 02118, USA
Am J Health Behav 31:S19-26. 2007..To provide an evidence-based review of plausible causal pathways that could best explain well-established associations between limited health literacy and health outcomes...
- The contribution of health literacy to disparities in self-rated health status and preventive health behaviors in older adultsIan M Bennett
Department of Family Medicine and Community Health, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Ann Fam Med 7:204-11. 2009..The purpose of this study was to assess whether health literacy contributes, through mediation, to racial/ethnic and education-related disparities in self-rated health status and preventive health behaviors among older adults...
- Health literacy and knowledge of chronic diseaseJulie A Gazmararian
Department of Health Policy and Management, Emory Center on Health Outcomes and Quality, Rollins School of Public Health of Emory University, 6th Floor, 1518 Clifton Road, NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
Patient Educ Couns 51:267-75. 2003..There are many opportunities to improve patients' knowledge of their chronic disease(s), and efforts need to consider their health literacy skills...
- Outcomes in young adulthood for very-low-birth-weight infantsMaureen Hack
Department of Pediatrics, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, USA
N Engl J Med 346:149-57. 2002..Very-low-birth-weight infants (those weighing less than 1500 g) born during the initial years of neonatal intensive care have now reached young adulthood...
- Clustering of risk behaviors with cigarette consumption: A population-based surveyArnaud Chiolero
Prevention Unit, University Institute of Social and Preventive Medicine, 17, Rue du Bugnon, 1005 Lausanne, Switzerland
Prev Med 42:348-53. 2006..This study assessed clustering of multiple risk behaviors (i.e., low leisure-time physical activity, low fruits/vegetables intake, and high alcohol consumption) with level of cigarette consumption...
- Clustering of lifestyle risk factors in a general adult populationA Jantine Schuit
Department of Chronic Diseases Epidemiology, National Institute of Public Health and the Environment, P O Box 1, 3720 BA Bilthoven, The Netherlands
Prev Med 35:219-24. 2002..The objective of the study was to evaluate the degree of clustering of common lifestyle risk factors in a general adult population and to define subgroups with elevated clustering...
- Trends in socioeconomic inequalities in self-assessed health in 10 European countriesAnton E Kunst
Department of Public Health, Erasmus MC, 3000 DR Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Epidemiol 34:295-305. 2005....
- Overweight and obesity in urban Africa: A problem of the rich or the poor?Abdhalah K Ziraba
African Population and Health Research Center APHRC, PO Box 10787, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
BMC Public Health 9:465. 2009..The specific goals were to describe trends in overweight and obesity among urban women; and examine how these trends vary by education and household wealth...
- Access to health: women's status and utilization of maternal health services in NepalSharad Kumar Sharma
Institute for Population and Social Research, Mahidol University, Thailand
J Biosoc Sci 39:671-92. 2007..Health worker visits and educational status of women showed a large association, but radio programmes and other mass media information were only ..
- Admission selection criteria as predictors of outcomes in an undergraduate medical course: a prospective studyAnnette Mercer
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Sciences, The University of Western Australia, Australia
Med Teach 33:997-1004. 2011..In 1998, a new selection process which utilised an aptitude test and an interview in addition to previous academic achievement was introduced into an Australian undergraduate medical course...
- Educational status and cardiovascular risk profile in IndiansK Srinath Reddy
Public Health Foundation of India, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi 110029, India
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 104:16263-8. 2007..behavioral, clinical, and biochemical risk factors of CHD was obtained through standardized instruments, and educational status was assessed in terms of the highest educational level attained...
- Does literacy mediate the relationship between education and health outcomes? A study of a low-income population with diabetesDean Schillinger
Center for Vulnerable Populations, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, USA
Public Health Rep 121:245-54. 2006..We sought to determine whether literacy mediates the relationship between education and glycemic control among diabetes patients...
- Self-reported health assessments in the 2002 World Health Survey: how do they correlate with education?S V Subramanian
Department of Society, Human Development and Health, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, United States of America
Bull World Health Organ 88:131-8. 2010..To assess the value of self-rated health assessments by examining the association between education and self-rated poor health...
- Education, income, occupation, and the 34-year incidence (1965-99) of Type 2 diabetes in the Alameda County StudySiobhan C Maty
School of Community Health, College of Urban and Public Affairs, Portland State University, PO Box 751, Portland, OR 97207 0751, USA
Int J Epidemiol 34:1274-81. 2005..Lower socioeconomic position (SEP) is related to higher prevalence of Type 2 diabetes, yet little is known about the relationship of SEP with incident diabetes...
- The role of pictures in improving health communication: a review of research on attention, comprehension, recall, and adherencePeter S Houts
Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, 500 University Drive, Hershey, PA 17033, USA
Patient Educ Couns 61:173-90. 2006..To assess the effects of pictures on health communications...
- General performance on a numeracy scale among highly educated samplesI M Lipkus
Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27701, USA
Med Decis Making 21:37-44. 2001..Here, we examine how highly educated participants performed on a general and an expanded numeracy scale. The latter was designed within the context of health risks...
- Effect of neighbourhood income and maternal education on birth outcomes: a population-based studyZhong Cheng Luo
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, McGill University, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 174:1415-20. 2006..We sought to determine the extent to which associations between adverse birth outcomes and SES can be identified using individual-level measures (maternal level of education) and community-level measures (neighbourhood income)...
- The reliability and validity of a brief diabetes knowledge testJ T Fitzgerald
Department of Medical Education, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor 48109, USA
Diabetes Care 21:706-10. 1998..To examine the reliability and validity of a brief diabetes knowledge test. The diabetes knowledge test has two components: a 14-item general test and a 9-item insulin-use subscale...
- Functional health literacy and the risk of hospital admission among Medicare managed care enrolleesDavid W Baker
Center for Health Care Research and Policy, Case Western Reserve University at MetroHealth Medical Center, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1278-83. 2002..This study analyzed whether inadequate functional health literacy is an independent risk factor for hospital admission...
- Limited literacy and mortality in the elderly: the health, aging, and body composition studyRebecca L Sudore
University of California, San Francisco, CA 94121, USA
J Gen Intern Med 21:806-12. 2006..While limited literacy is common and its prevalence increases with age, no prospective study has assessed whether limited literacy is associated with mortality in older adults...
- Sexual behaviour in Britain: early heterosexual experienceK Wellings
Centre for Sexual Health Research, Department of Public Health and Policy, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, WC1E 7HT, London, UK
Lancet 358:1843-50. 2001..We report the results of the second National Survey of Sexual Attitudes and Lifestyles (Natsal 2000)...
- Decomposing socioeconomic inequality in infant mortality in IranAhmad Reza Hosseinpoor
Department of Equity, Poverty and Social Determinants of Health, Evidence and Information for Policy, World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland
Int J Epidemiol 35:1211-9. 2006..The objective of this paper is to quantify for the first time the determinants' contributions of socioeconomic inequality in infant mortality in Iran...
- Literacy and misunderstanding prescription drug labelsTerry C Davis
Department of Medicine Pediatrics, Louisiana State University Health Science Center, Shreveport, Louisiana 71104, USA
Ann Intern Med 145:887-94. 2006..Health literacy has increasingly been viewed as a patient safety issue and may contribute to medication errors...
- Relating effortful control, executive function, and false belief understanding to emerging math and literacy ability in kindergartenClancy Blair
Human Development and Family Studies, The Pennsylvania State University, University Park 16802 6504, USA
Child Dev 78:647-63. 2007..Findings suggest that curricula designed to improve self-regulation skills as well as enhance early academic abilities may be most effective in helping children succeed in school...
- Comparative appraisal of educational inequalities in overweight and obesity among adults in 19 European countriesAlbert Jan R Roskam
Department of Public Health, Erasmus Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Int J Epidemiol 39:392-404. 2010....
- Socioeconomic position, gender, health behaviours and biomarkers of cardiovascular disease and diabetesAnne Kavanagh
Centre for Women s Health, Gender and Society, Melbourne School of Population Health, The University of Melbourne, Australia
Soc Sci Med 71:1150-60. 2010..We conclude that low socio-economic position is more consistently associated with a worse profile of biomarkers for CVD and diabetes for women...
- The relationship of ethnicity, socioeconomic factors, and overweight in US adolescentsPenny Gordon-Larsen
University of North Carolina, Department of Nutrition, School of Public Health, Chapel Hill, NC 27516 3997, USA
Obes Res 11:121-9. 2003..To examine the extent to which race/ethnic differences in income and education account for sex-specific disparities in overweight prevalence in white, African American, Hispanic, and Asian U.S. teens...
- Cardiovascular risk according to educational status in IndiaRajeev Gupta
Department of Medicine, Fortis Escorts Hospital, Jaipur, India
Prev Med 51:408-11. 2010Influence of socioeconomic status on cardiovascular risk has not been well studied in low income countries. To determine risks in various educational status (ES) subjects we performed a study in India.
- Socioeconomic inequalities in diabetes mellitus across Europe at the beginning of the 21st centuryA Espelt
Agència de Salut Pública de Barcelona, Plaça Lesseps 1, 08023, Barcelona, Spain
Diabetologia 51:1971-9. 2008..The aim of this study was to determine and quantify socioeconomic position (SEP) inequalities in diabetes mellitus in different areas of Europe, at the turn of the century, for men and women...
- TV viewing and obesity among Norwegian children: the importance of parental educationHege Kristiansen
Departement of Paediatrics, District General Hospital of Førde, Førde, Norway
Acta Paediatr 102:199-205. 2013..To analyse the effect of lifestyle factors on the prevalence of overweight and obesity in 6-15-year-old Norwegian children...
- Children of divorce in the 1990s: an update of the Amato and Keith (1991) meta-analysisP R Amato
Department of Sociology, Pennsylvania State University, 211 Oswald Tower, University Park, Pennsylvania 16802 6207, USA
J Fam Psychol 15:355-70. 2001..For these outcomes, the gap between children with divorced and married parents decreased during the 1980s and increased again during the 1990s...
- The socioeconomic status of older adults: how should we measure it in studies of health inequalities?E Grundy
Centre for Population Studies, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, London, UK
J Epidemiol Community Health 55:895-904. 2001..To identify which of seven indicators of socioeconomic status used singly or combined with one other would be most useful in studies of health inequalities in the older population...
- Relationship of functional health literacy to patients' knowledge of their chronic disease. A study of patients with hypertension and diabetesM V Williams
Division of General Medicine, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA, USA
Arch Intern Med 158:166-72. 1998..Inadequate functional health literacy is common, but its impact on patients with chronic diseases is not well described...
- Contribution of major diseases to disparities in mortalityMitchell D Wong
Division of General Internal Medicine and Health Services Research, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles 90095 1736, USA
N Engl J Med 347:1585-92. 2002..Mortality from all causes is higher for persons with fewer years of education and for blacks, but it is unknown which diseases contribute most to these disparities...
- Establishing the criterion validity of the Graduate Medical School Admissions Test (GAMSAT)Hamish Coates
Australian Council for Educational Research, University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Med Educ 42:999-1006. 2008....
- A levels and intelligence as predictors of medical careers in UK doctors: 20 year prospective studyI C McManus
Department of Psychology, University College London, London WC1E 6BT
BMJ 327:139-42. 2003..To assess whether A level grades (achievement) and intelligence (ability) predict doctors' careers...
- Systematic review exploring time trends in the association between educational attainment and risk of HIV infection in sub-Saharan AfricaJames R Hargreaves
Infectious Disease Epidemiology Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, UK
AIDS 22:403-14. 2008..To assess the evidence that the association between educational attainment and risk of HIV infection is changing over time in sub-Saharan Africa...
- Risk factors for domestic physical violence: national cross-sectional household surveys in eight southern African countriesNeil Andersson
Centro de Investigación de Enfermedades Tropicales CIET, Universidad Autonoma de Guerrero, Acapulco, Mexico
BMC Womens Health 7:11. 2007..The baseline to assess impact of a mass education-entertainment programme offered an opportunity to identify risk factors for domestic physical violence...
- Health literacy and the risk of hospital admissionD W Baker
Department of Medicine and Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, MetroHealth Medical Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH 44109-1998, USA
J Gen Intern Med 13:791-8. 1998..15; 95% CI 1.45, 6.85). CONCLUSIONS: In this study population, patients with inadequate functional health literacy had an increased risk of hospital admission...
- A life course model of cognitive activities, socioeconomic status, education, reading ability, and cognitionAngela L Jefferson
Alzheimer s Disease Center, School of Medicine, Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA
J Am Geriatr Soc 59:1403-11. 2011..To cross-sectionally quantify the contribution of proxy measures of cognitive reserve reflective of the lifespan, such as education, socioeconomic status (SES), reading ability, and cognitive activities, in explaining late-life cognition...
- Health literacy and cancer communicationTerry C Davis
Feist Weiller Cancer Center, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, Shreveport, USA
CA Cancer J Clin 52:134-49. 2002..Based on our own experience, we offer practical communication aids that can help bridge the cancer communication gap...
- National female literacy, individual socio-economic status, and maternal health care use in sub-Saharan AfricaSarah McTavish
Queen s University, School of Kinesiology and Health Studies, PEC Rm 223, Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Soc Sci Med 71:1958-63. 2010..National policies that are able to address female literacy and women's status in sub-Saharan Africa may help reduce income-related inequalities in maternal health care use...
- Environmental correlates of physical activity in youth - a review and updateI Ferreira
Department of Public Health, Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Obes Rev 8:129-54. 2007..Further research should aim at longitudinal and intervention studies, and use more objective measures of PA and its potential (environmental) determinants...
- Effects of stunting, diarrhoeal disease, and parasitic infection during infancy on cognition in late childhood: a follow-up studyDouglas S Berkman
Department of Epidemiology, The Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Lancet 359:564-71. 2002..We assessed the effect of stunting, diarrhoeal disease, and parasitic infections during infancy on cognitive function in late childhood...
- Maternal education is associated with vaccination status of infants less than 6 months in Eastern Uganda: a cohort studyVictoria Nankabirwa
Department of Paediatrics and Child Health, School of Medicine, College of Health Sciences, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
BMC Pediatr 10:92. 2010..This study compares women with some secondary schooling to those with only primary schooling with regard to their infants' vaccination status...
- Relationship of socioeconomic status with cardiovascular risk factors and lifestyle in a Mediterranean populationHelmut Schroder
Lipids and Cardiovascular Epidemiology Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, IMIM, c Doctor Aiguader 80, 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Eur J Nutr 43:77-85. 2004..Socioeconomic status greatly affects cardiovascular risk factors and lifestyle. Aim of the study To analyse the relationship between socioeconomic status and both cardiovascular risk factors and behavioural variables...
- Risk factors for childhood overweight: shift of the mean body mass index and shift of the upper percentiles: results from a cross-sectional studyA Beyerlein
Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Institute of Social Paediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, Division of Epidemiology, Munich, Germany
Int J Obes (Lond) 34:642-8. 2010..These findings might be attributed to incremental exposure to risk factors particularly affecting overweight children...
- Wealth and happiness across the world: material prosperity predicts life evaluation, whereas psychosocial prosperity predicts positive feelingEd Diener
Department of Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Champaign, IL 61820, USA
J Pers Soc Psychol 99:52-61. 2010..Thus, two separate types of prosperity-economic and social psychological-best predict different types of well-being...
- Trends in educational inequalities in smoking and physical activity in Canada: 1974-2005P Smith
Institute for Work and Health, 481 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
J Epidemiol Community Health 63:317-23. 2009..However, little research has examined if educational inequalities in either of these important health determinants have changed...
- Assessing the socio-economic and demographic impact on health-related quality of life: evidence from GreeceEvelina Pappa
Faculty of Social Sciences, Hellenic Open University, Riga Fereou 169 and Tsamadou, 26222 Patras, Greece
Int J Public Health 54:241-9. 2009..The aim of this study was to assess the influence of demographic and socio-economic factors on health- related quality of life (HRQoL)...
- Educational attainment and cognitive decline in old ageR S Wilson
Rush Alzheimer s Disease Center, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60612, USA
Neurology 72:460-5. 2009..Level of education is a well-established risk factor for Alzheimer disease but its relation to cognitive decline, the principal clinical manifestation of the disease, is uncertain...
- Mediators of the relationship between maternal education and children's TV viewingKylie Hesketh
School of Exercise and Nutrition Sciences, Deakin University, Victoria, Australia
Am J Prev Med 33:41-7. 2007..This study investigates whether family television environment mediates the relationship between maternal education and children's television viewing...
- The role of health literacy in patient-physician communicationMark V Williams
Department of Family Medicine, Emory University, School of Medicine, Atlanta, GA 30303, USA
Fam Med 34:383-9. 2002..We reviewed research on health literacy, examined its impact on patient-physician communication, and offer recommendations to enhance communication with patients who have poor health literacy...
- Health literacy and functional health status among older adultsMichael S Wolf
Institute for Healthcare Studies and Division of General Internal Medicine, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, 676 N St Clair St, Suite 200, Chicago, IL 60611, USA
Arch Intern Med 165:1946-52. 2005..We evaluated the association between health literacy, self-reported physical and mental health functioning, and health-related activity limitations among new Medicare managed care enrollees...
- Optimal indicators of socioeconomic status for health researchMary C Daly
Institute for Polict Research, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL 60208, USA
Am J Public Health 92:1151-7. 2002..In this study we examined the relationship between indicators of socioeconomic status (SES) and mortality for a representative sample of individuals...
- Maternal education and child nutritional status in Bolivia: finding the linksMichelle Bellessa Frost
Office of Population Research, Wallace Hall, Princeton University, Princeton, NJ 08540, USA
Soc Sci Med 60:395-407. 2005..Overall, the pathways examined accounted for 60 percent of the effect of maternal education on child nutritional status...
- Inequities in skilled attendance at birth in Namibia: a decomposition analysisEyob Zere
Africa s Health in 2010, Academy for Educational Development, Washington, DC 20009, USA
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 11:34. 2011..The objective of this study was to identify the drivers of wealth-related inequalities in child delivery by skilled health providers...
- Education and Alzheimer disease without dementia: support for the cognitive reserve hypothesisCatherine M Roe
Division of Biostatistics, Washington University School of Medicine, 660 S Euclid Ave, Box 8067, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Neurology 68:223-8. 2007..The cognitive reserve hypothesis suggests that at a particular level of AD pathology, highly educated individuals are less likely to manifest clinical symptoms of dementia vs less-educated individuals...
- Educational attainment and HIV-1 infection in developing countries: a systematic reviewJames R Hargreaves
Infectious Disease Epidemiology Unit, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, UK
Trop Med Int Health 7:489-98. 2002To assess whether educational status is associated with HIV-1 infection in developing countries by conducting a systematic review of published literature.
- Socioeconomic status and risk of psychological distress and depression in the Stockholm Public Health Cohort: a population-based studyKyriaki Kosidou
Division of Public Health Epidemiology, Department of Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Norrbacka, 171 76 Stockholm, Sweden
J Affect Disord 134:160-7. 2011..There is limited evidence whether the association between low socioeconomic status and risk of common mental disorders varies with symptom severity, type of socioeconomic indicator or gender...
- Geographic and educational factors and risk of the first peritonitis episode in Brazilian Peritoneal Dialysis study (BRAZPD) patientsLuis C Martin
Department of Internal Medicine, Botucatu Medical School, 18618 000 Botucatu, Sao Paulo, Brazil
Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 6:1944-51. 2011..No large multicenter study has addressed socioeconomic, educational, and geographic issues as peritonitis risk factors in countries with a large geographic area and diverse socioeconomic conditions, such as Brazil...
- Environmental, maternal, and child factors which contribute to early childhood caries: a unifying conceptual modelW Kim Seow
Centre for Paediatric Dentistry, School of Dentistry, University of Queensland, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Int J Paediatr Dent 22:157-68. 2012..The aim of this paper is to propose a unifying conceptual model that ties together the broad social environmental, maternal, and child factors that are commonly associated with ECC...
- Brain reserve and cognitive decline: a non-parametric systematic reviewMichael J Valenzuela
School of Psychiatry, University of New South Wales, AustraliaThe Black Dog Institute, Prince of Wales Hospital, Sydney, Australia
Psychol Med 36:1065-73. 2006..Our aim was to quantitatively review an independent set of longitudinal studies of cognitive change in order to clarify these factors...
- Relationship between education and dementia: an updated systematic reviewEmily Schoenhofen Sharp
Department of Psychology, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, 90089 1061, USA
Alzheimer Dis Assoc Disord 25:289-304. 2011..The purpose of this study was to review the relationship between education and dementia...
- Effect of a two-year obesity prevention intervention on percentile changes in body mass index and academic performance in low-income elementary school childrenDanielle Hollar
Department of Medicine, University of Miami Miller School of Medicine, Miami, FL, USA
Am J Public Health 100:646-53. 2010....
- Sedentary behavior, physical activity, and the metabolic syndrome among U.S. adultsEarl S Ford
Division of Adult and Community Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Atlanta, GA 30341, USA
Obes Res 13:608-14. 2005..We examined the associations among physical activity, sedentary behavior, and metabolic syndrome in a representative sample of U.S. adults...
- Improving educational achievement and anaemia of school children: design of a cluster randomised trial of school-based malaria prevention and enhanced literacy instruction in KenyaSimon Brooker
Malaria Public Health and Epidemiology Group, Kenya Medical Research Institute Wellcome Trust Research Programme, Nairobi, Kenya
Trials 11:93. 2010..This study aims to evaluate the impact of school-based malaria prevention and enhanced literacy instruction on the health and educational achievement of school children in Kenya...
- Late response and item nonresponse in the Finbalt Health Monitor surveyVille Helasoja
National Public Health Institute, Department of Epidemiology and Health Promotion, Mannerheimintie 166, 00300 Helsinki, Finland
Eur J Public Health 12:117-23. 2002..In comparing the results of national surveys, the awareness of the direction and socioeconomic patterning of the response bias is essential...
- Increasing absolute mortality disparities by education in Finland, Norway and Sweden, 1971-2000Vladimir M Shkolnikov
Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Konrad Zuse Str 1, 18057 Rostock, Germany
J Epidemiol Community Health 66:372-8. 2012..Using high quality, census-linked data and sensible inequality measures, this study documents the changes in absolute and relative mortality differences by education in Finland, Norway and Sweden over the period 1971 to 2000...
- Internet use for health-related information via personal computers and cell phones in Japan: a cross-sectional population-based surveyYoshimitsu Takahashi
Department of Health Informatics, Kyoto University School of Public Health, Kyoto, Japan
J Med Internet Res 13:e110. 2011..The Internet is known to be used for health purposes by the general public all over the world. However, little is known about the use of, attitudes toward, and activities regarding eHealth among the Japanese population...
- Material, psychosocial, behavioural and biomedical factors in the explanation of relative socio-economic inequalities in mortality: evidence from the HUNT studyVera Skalická
Department of Sociology and Political Science, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway
Int J Epidemiol 38:1272-84. 2009..Our study examines the relative contribution of (i) material, (ii) psychosocial, (iii) behavioural and (iv) biomedical factors in the explanation of relative socio-economic (educational and income) inequalities in mortality...
- Individual and neighborhood socioeconomic status characteristics and prevalence of metabolic syndrome: the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities (ARIC) StudyKristal L Chichlowska
Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, North Carolina, USA
Psychosom Med 70:986-92. 2008..The objective of this study was to examine the association of individual socioeconomic status (iSES) and neighborhood SES (nSES) on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome (MetS) in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study (1987-1999)...
- Does the predictive power of self-rated health for subsequent mortality risk vary by socioeconomic status in the US?Jennifer Beam Dowd
Center for Social Epidemiology and Population Health, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48104 2548, USA
Int J Epidemiol 36:1214-21. 2007..The purpose of this study is to test whether the predictive power of an individual's self-rated health (SRH) on subsequent mortality risk differs by socioeconomic status (SES) in the United States...
- DEVELOPMENT & EARLY IDENTIFICATION OF READING DISABILITYCHRISTOPHER LONIGAN; Fiscal Year: 2004..We will achieve this aim by using SEM of longitudinal data from both studies. ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 2 DENNIS PATTRATH; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 2 Javier Crespo; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 2JM J TOOEY; Fiscal Year: 2011..Emphasis should be on the [unreadable]underconnected,[unreadable] particularly in inner city and rural health organizations, to upgrade and maintain technology access. ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 2JM J TOOEY; Fiscal Year: 2013..Emphasis should be on the [unreadable]underconnected,[unreadable] particularly in inner city and rural health organizations, to upgrade and maintain technology access. ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 2JM J TOOEY; Fiscal Year: 2012..Emphasis should be on the [unreadable]underconnected,[unreadable] particularly in inner city and rural health organizations, to upgrade and maintain technology access. ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 3Ruth Holst; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 3Ruth Holst; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 3Ruth Holst; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 3Ruth Holst; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 3Ruth Holst; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) region 4Claire Hamasu; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) region 4Claire Hamasu; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 5MICHELLE MALIZIA; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 6CATHY BURROUGHS; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 5MICHELLE MALIZIA; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 7TAMARA COMBS; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 4HAMASU CLAIRE; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 8Javier Crespo; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 8Javier Crespo; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 8Javier Crespo; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 4HAMASU CLAIRE; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 4HAMASU CLAIRE; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 1Colleen Cuddy; Fiscal Year: 2010..abstract_text> ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 6CATHY BURROUGHS; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 6CATHY BURROUGHS; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 6CATHY BURROUGHS; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 5MICHELLE MALIZIA; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 5MICHELLE MALIZIA; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 5MICHELLE MALIZIA; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine (NN/LM) Region 1KATE BURR OLIVER; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 7Julie Kwan; Fiscal Year: 2012
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 7Julie Kwan; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 7Julie Kwan; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 1BARBARA EPSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2013
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 1BARBARA EPSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine - Region 1BARBARA EPSTEIN; Fiscal Year: 2012
- Effects of environmental thyroid hormone disrupting compounds on CNS developmentCHRISTOPHER KIRK THOMPSON; Fiscal Year: 2013..The goal of this project is to determine how these compounds affect brain development using Xenopus laevis tadpoles as a model species. ..
- Food Environment, Diet Quality and Disparities in ObesityAdam Drewnowski; Fiscal Year: 2013..This interdisciplinary project on the built environment, behavior and health brings together experts from nutrition, geography, epidemiology, medicine, statistics and urban design. ..
- Ethical and Legal Challenges in Communicating Individual Biomonitoring and PersonRachel Morello-Frosch; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Low Cost Diagnosis of Disease using Synthetic DNA ReactionsWilliam L Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Developing Radiological Risk Communication Materials for Low-Literacy PopulationsSARAH B BASS; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Ophthalmologic Follow-up Care for Children Born Very-Low-Birth-WeightCHIHHUNG JASON WANG; Fiscal Year: 2012..The findings will have important public health implications for tracking their health, development, and educational outcomes. ..
- Development and Pilot Test of an Elective BSO Decision Support GuideMiriam Kuppermann; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Randomized Trial of CVD Education and Problem-Solving Training in Urban DiabeticsFelicia Hill-Briggs; Fiscal Year: 2012....
- High School Student NeuroResearch Program (HSNRP)Marlys Hearst Witte; Fiscal Year: 2013..Ongoing short-term and long-term evaluation including surveys, database registry and career portfolios will document efficacy of the training model and promote networking. ..
- Self-Management, Biobehavioral and Informatics CoreNancy E Reame; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- SIPsmartER: A nutrition literacy approach to reducing sugar-sweetened beveragesJamie Zoellner; Fiscal Year: 2013..abstract_text> ..
- Health Care Partners in Cancer Prevention and Care Among Aged - Competing RenewalEva Kahana; Fiscal Year: 2013..Our focus on communication skills training among low health literacy and minority elders should also contribute to minimizing health disparities. ..
- Growing Right Onto Wellness (GROW): Changing Early Childhood BMI TrajectoriesShari Barkin; Fiscal Year: 2013..By conducting and testing trials in public community centers, exportable interventions could result allowing for a macro-level system change to address this expanding public health crisis. ..
- Genetic Elucidation of VTA Glutamate NeuronsTHOMAS HNASKO; Fiscal Year: 2013..The overall goal of this proposal is to elucidate the function of glutamate-releasing VTA neurons, and in particular, assess their role in mediating the molecular and behavioral responses to drugs of abuse. ..
- Cognitive Impairment and Self-management in Adults with Heart FailureJoel W Hughes; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Adapting Hypertension and Diabetes Guides for Hard-to-Reach African American MenJennifer L Lauby; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Illness Management and Recovery Program: IMR-WebJAMES P O apos HALLORAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..IMR-Web will lead to more rapid, cost-effective adoption of the powerful and comprehensive IMR program. ..
- Dissemination of a Theory-Based Bone Health Program in Online CommunitiesEun Shim Nahm; Fiscal Year: 2012..abstract_text> ..
- UMB/DFHCC Comprehensive Cancer Partnership ProgramKaren Emmons; Fiscal Year: 2009..3.1 To estimate whether the greatest longer-term improvements (at 96 weeks) in diet, PA, and weight loss/maintenance are found among eSolutions-Plus participants receiving monthly telephone support calls (after week 12 of the protocol). ..
- Medication Intervention in Transitional Care to Optimize CKD Outcomes &CostsKatherine R Tuttle; Fiscal Year: 2012..The proposed research is innovative because it integrates established clinical strategies with systems approaches to improve patient care, thereby testing a fundamentally new approach to advance CKD management. ..
- HPV Knowledge Awareness and Vaccine Acceptability among Inner City Black MalesSHERRIE LEE WALLINGTON; Fiscal Year: 2013..Moreover, this research will also build further research capacity to engage underserved adolescents in future HPV and cancer prevention interventions. ..
- National Estimates for Inpatient Care, Outcomes &Hospital Effect among HispanicsAmresh D Hanchate; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Discovery of the 6p21.3 Reading Disability GeneJeffrey R Gruen; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Reducing Asthma Morbidity in High Risk Minority Preschool ChildrenCynthia S Rand; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Infection and Immunity K-12 Science Program: Exploring Knowns/Unknowns via VCRC/QMarlys Hearst Witte; Fiscal Year: 2013..National/ international dissemination centers in VCRC/Q's expanding multimedia, multidisciplinary, multi-institutional partnerships and social networking to enhance impact. ..
- Transcriptome-wide Polyadenylation Site Use in Male Germ Cell TranscriptsBECKY SARTINI; Fiscal Year: 2013....
- Substance Use Prevention Media Literacy High School CurriculumJANIS KUPERSMIDT; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project will result in the development of a commercially available, teacher-friendly, educational tool with empirically-tested results. ..
- Mental Health Literacy Among Korean American EldersYuri Jang; Fiscal Year: 2009..The overall goals of the study are (1) to better understand the levels of mental health literacy manifest in the target population and (2) to develop/test an educational intervention. ..
- Developing Evidence-Based Guidelines for Patient-Accessible Medical RecordChristina Zarcadoolas; Fiscal Year: 2011..Our target population is adults who are low-medium income, low-educated, low-literate predominantly minority urban dwellers residing in Harlem, New York City. ..
- Improving the language and literacy skills of Spanish-English Bilingual KindergarMARIELA PAEZ; Fiscal Year: 2011..abstract_text> ..
- Patient-Tailored Health Literacy Improvement SystemALAN LETZT; Fiscal Year: 2010..By proposing a new system to advance health literacy, this research project is addressing a $73 billion problem which is at the foundation of our nation's public health system and national security. ..
- Middle School Media Literacy for Reproductive HealthTRACY SCULL; Fiscal Year: 2009..This project will result in the development of a commercially available, teacher- friendly, educational tool with empirically-tested results. ..
- Promoting genetic literacy in students and teachers: The effectiveness of non-claLETA MEOLE TRIBBLE; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Promoting Health Literacy for Colorectal Cancer ScreeningRobert J Volk; Fiscal Year: 2010..Educational interventions which rely on entertainment to engage patients in the content have great promise for increasing motivation and rates of completing colorectal cancer screening test. ..
- MEASURING PATIENT SATISFACTION: LOW LITERACY POPULATIONSJudy Shea; Fiscal Year: 2001..Finally, we will randomize eligible enrollees to receive the standard form or one of the alternative versions, to determine how the instruments perform in the typical way in which they would be used. ..
- Informed Consent in Illiterate SubjectsDonald Krogstad; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Assessing Mental Health Literacy for Anxiety DisorderMEREDITH ELLEN COLES; Fiscal Year: 2010..Therefore, this project will assess what people know and believe about anxiety disorders, as a first step towards developing ways to help people with anxiety disorders seek treatment. ..
- Advancing Research in Health Literacy: Prevention and Care ManagementMichael Paasche-Orlow; Fiscal Year: 2012..In this application we propose the fourth annual conference dedicated to promoting the field of health literacy research with a focus on Prevention and Care Management. ..
- Prostate cancer health literacy in rural versus urban African-American men.Kerry Laing Kilbridge; Fiscal Year: 2010..We will use qualitative methods to identify techniques to overcome these barriers and compare any differences between rural and urban African American men. ..
- Implementing a low-literacy, multimedia IT system to enhance patient-centered canElizabeth Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2009..It can also be adapted for other health conditions. This novel multimedia IT system may be especially helpful in addressing disparities in cancer care for vulnerable populations. ..
- Media Literacy to Prevent Adolescent Smoking InitiationBrian A Primack; Fiscal Year: 2010..The candidate will emerge in five years with the skills and background necessary to implement and evaluate the intervention on a large scale via an R01 (to be secured in year 4). ..
- Health Literacy Small Conference Support GrantMichael Villaire; Fiscal Year: 2010..Information obtained in this conference will help healthcare providers and educators to effect systemic changes within their sphere of practice, and result in empowered patients and caregivers. ..
- A Patient Advocate and Literacy-Based Treatment of AsthmaAndrea J Apter; Fiscal Year: 2010..It is compared for efficacy and cost-effectiveness with asthma education. We fulfill ARRA goals by creating or retaining partial or complete funding for 16 area jobs. ..
- Culture and Health Literacy in a Dental ClinicKathryn Atchison; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Parental Health Literacy and Child ADHDLYNN HIRONAKA; Fiscal Year: 2009..If limited health literacy is found to be associated with poor child ADHD outcomes, we plan to develop interventions to increase the utilization of effective ADHD therapies in children of parents with limited health literacy skills. ..
- Pre-Kindergarten Curriculum: Literacy and RelationshipsRobert Pianta; Fiscal Year: 2002....
- HLTH LIT, SOC SUPPORT,& HLTH: SURVEY OF MEDICARE ENROLLEShoou Yih Lee; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- A Multifaceted Adaptive Testing Approach to Health Literacy in Older AdultsDavid Kaufman; Fiscal Year: 2009..The tool has the potential to be used to support research on health literacy, develop screening tools for clinicians and tailor health education materials for older adult patients and consumers at varying levels of literacy. ..
- Health Literacy, Technology Acceptance, On-line Self-Care: Understanding TeensDeena Chisolm; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- Adaptation of Consumer Guides for Patients with Low Health LiteracyMaria E Suarez Almazor; Fiscal Year: 2010..Patients with these disorders face many treatment options. This project will provide tools for patients with lower health literacy educational tools to assist them in making informed treatment decisions. ..
- Preventing Reading Problems in Disadvantaged ChildrenDONNA SCANLON; Fiscal Year: 2005..Finally, the data gathered in various components of the study will be analyzed using recently developed modeling techniques for evaluating growth over time. ..
- Modifying Between the Lions for ELL ChildrenDaniel Shanahan; Fiscal Year: 2005..Data from the study will be used to inform the design of a new educational television series based on and using much of the material in the current BTL series but appropriately modified for Spanish-speaking ELL students. ..
- A low literacy multimedia approach to disseminate bilingual diabetes CERSGsElizabeth A Hahn; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Enhancing Low-Income Children's Emergent LiteracyWENDY GROLNICK; Fiscal Year: 2006..unreadable] [unreadable]..
- Social and Cultural Influences on Adolescent DevelopmentElizabeth Moje; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..