- Radiation protection of medical staff
John Le Heron
Radiation Safety and Monitoring Section, Division of Radiation, Transport and Waste Safety, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Radiol 76:20-3. 2010
The continuing increase in the worldwide use of X-ray imaging has implications for radiation protection of medical staff. Much of the increased usage could be viewed as simply a workload issue with no particular new challenges...
- Estimated radiation dose reduction using adaptive statistical iterative reconstruction in coronary CT angiography: the ERASIR study
Department of Radiology and Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, BC, Canada
AJR Am J Roentgenol 195:655-60. 2010
..The objective of our study was to assess the impact of Adaptive Statistical Iterative Reconstruction (ASIR) on radiation dose and study quality for coronary CT angiography (CTA)...
- Molecular and cellular biology of moderate-dose (1-10 Gy) radiation and potential mechanisms of radiation protection: report of a workshop at Bethesda, Maryland, December 17-18, 2001
C Norman Coleman
Radiation Oncology Sciences Program, Center for Cancer Research, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892, USA
Radiat Res 159:812-34. 2003
..Communicate knowledge of the effects of radiation exposure to the general public and to investigators, policy makers and agencies involved in response to nuclear accidents/events and protection/treatment of the general public...
- Dose reduction in chest CT: comparison of the adaptive iterative dose reduction 3D, adaptive iterative dose reduction, and filtered back projection reconstruction techniques
Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Keio University School of Medicine, 35 Shinanomachi, Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8582, Japan
Eur J Radiol 81:4185-95. 2012
..To assess the effectiveness of adaptive iterative dose reduction (AIDR) and AIDR 3D in improving the image quality in low-dose chest CT (LDCT)...
- α-Tocopherol succinate protects mice against radiation-induced gastrointestinal injury
Pankaj K Singh
Radiation Countermeasures Program, Armed Forces Radiobiology Research Institute, 8901 Wisconsin Ave, Bethesda, MD 20889 5603, USA
Radiat Res 177:133-45. 2012
..Our data suggest that α-TS protects mice from radiation-induced gastrointestinal damage by inhibiting apoptosis, promoting regeneration of crypt cells, and inhibiting translocation of gut bacteria...
- Radiation protectants: current status and future prospects
Thomas M Seed
VSL Physics, Hannon Hall, Room 408, Catholic University of America, 620 Michigan Avenue NE, Washington, DC 20064, USA
Health Phys 89:531-45. 2005
..This is due to the resurgence of interest in radiation protection, increased resources being expended by federal agencies, and by the Food and Drug Administration's ..
- Low kilovoltage cardiac dual-source CT: attenuation, noise, and radiation dose
Institute of Radiology, Kantonsspital St Gallen, St Gallen, Switzerland
Eur Radiol 18:1809-17. 2008
..4 +/- 0.6 mSv, P < 0.001) protocols. Dual-source CTCA with 100 kV is feasible in patients of normal weight, results in a diagnostic image quality with a higher CNR, and at the same time significantly reduces the radiation dose...
- Effect of a standardized quality-improvement protocol on radiation dose in coronary computed tomographic angiography
Troy M LaBounty
Department of Medicine, Division of Cardiology, Weill Cornell Medical College at New York Presbyterian Hospital, New York, New York, USA
Am J Cardiol 106:1663-7. 2010
..01). In conclusion, a quality improvement protocol for CCTA incorporating multiple dose reduction techniques permits significant radiation dose reduction and may improve the safety profile of CCTA...
- Patient and staff doses in interventional neuroradiology
Department of Engineering Physics, Faculty of Engineering, University of Ankara, 06100 Tandogan, Ankara, Turkey
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 117:62-8. 2005
..6, 77.6 and 28.8 microGy per procedure. The mean effective dose per procedure for the radiologists was 32 microSv. In order to allow better comparisons to be made, DAP normalised doses were also presented...
- Minimizing and communicating radiation risk in pediatric nuclear medicine
Frederic H Fahey
Division of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, Children s Hospital Boston, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
J Nucl Med 52:1240-51. 2011
..Approaches for effective communication of risk to patients' families are discussed. Lastly, radiation dose reduction in pediatric nuclear medicine is explicated...
- Hepatic CT perfusion measurements: a feasibility study for radiation dose reduction using new image reconstruction method
Division of Radiology, Kobe University Hospital, Department of Radiology, Kobe University Graduate School of Medicine, 7 5 2 Kusunokicho, Chuoku, Kobe 650 0017, Japan
Eur J Radiol 81:3048-54. 2012
..To assess the effects of image reconstruction method on hepatic CT perfusion (CTP) values using two CT protocols with different radiation doses...
- Radiation protection in humans: extending the concept of as low as reasonably achievable (ALARA) from dose to biological damage
K N Prasad
Center for Vitamins and Cancer Research, Departments of Radiology and Surgery, School of Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO 80262, USA
Br J Radiol 77:97-9. 2004
- Ground-based research with heavy ions for space radiation protection
Department of Physics, University Federico II, Monte S Angelo, Via Cintia, Naples, Italy
Adv Space Res 35:180-4. 2005
- Detection of pancreatic tumors, image quality, and radiation dose during the pancreatic parenchymal phase: effect of a low-tube-voltage, high-tube-current CT technique--preliminary results
Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, Erwin Rd, Durham, NC 27710, USA
Radiology 256:450-9. 2010
- Evaluation of a radiation dose reduction strategy for pediatric chest CT
Jee Eun Kim
Department of Radiology, Lucile Packard Children s Hospital, Stanford University School of Medicine, 725 Welch Rd, Stanford, CA 94304 5913, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 194:1188-93. 2010
..The purpose of our study was to quantify the effect of changes made to the CT chest protocol on patient dose, image quality, and image noise when using a kilovoltage (kVp)-lowering strategy...
- The optimal dose reduction level using iterative reconstruction with prospective ECG-triggered coronary CTA using 256-slice MDCT
Department of Radiology, Shengjing Hospital of China Medical University, Shenyang 110004, China
Eur J Radiol 81:3905-11. 2012
- The radiation protection and therapy effects of mesenchymal stem cells in mice with acute radiation injury
K X Hu
Department of Haematology and Transplantation, Affiliated Hospital of Academy of Military Medical Sciences, Beijing, China
Br J Radiol 83:52-8. 2010
..MSCs may be a succedaneous or intensive method of haematopoietic stem cell transplantation under certain radiation dosages, and could provide a valuable strategy for acute radiation syndrome...
- Peripheral dose measurement for CyberKnife radiosurgery with upgraded linac shielding
Cynthia F Chuang
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Med Phys 35:1494-6. 2008
..At these distances, the CyberKnife peripheral dose remains higher than doses measured in our previous study for the model C Gamma Knife and IMRT...
- Risk for radiation-induced cataract for staff in interventional cardiology: is there reason for concern?
Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences, Belgrade, Serbia
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 76:826-34. 2010
..To examine the prevalence of radiation-associated lens opacities among interventional cardiologists and nurses and correlate with occupational radiation exposure...
- Future strategies for mitigation and treatment of chronic radiation-induced normal tissue injury
John E Moulder
Radiation Oncology and Medicine, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, WI, USA
Semin Radiat Oncol 17:141-8. 2007
- CT-based 3D dose-volume parameter of the rectum and late rectal complication in patients with cervical cancer treated with high-dose-rate intracavitary brachytherapy
Research Center Hospital for Charged Particle Therapy, National Institute of Radiological Sciences, Inage Ku, Chiba, 263 8555, Japan
J Radiat Res 51:215-21. 2010
..001). However, no positive dose-response relationship was observed between D(ICRU) and the rate of LRC (p = 0.42). The present study has suggested that CT-based 3D dose-volume parameters of the rectum may be effective for predicting LRC...
- American College of Radiology white paper on radiation dose in medicine
E Stephen Amis
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 4:272-84. 2007
..This white paper details a proposed action plan for the college derived from the deliberations of that panel...
- Cancer risks from diagnostic radiology
E J Hall
Center for Radiological Research, Columbia University Medical Center, New York, NY 10032, USA
Br J Radiol 81:362-78. 2008
..A further issue is the increasing use of CT scans as a screening procedure in asymptomatic patients; at this time, the benefit/risk balance for any of the commonly suggested CT screening techniques has yet to be established...
- Historical review of occupational exposures and cancer risks in medical radiation workers
Martha S Linet
Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 7238, USA
Radiat Res 174:793-808. 2010
..Such studies will help optimize standardized protocols for radiologic procedures, determine whether current radiation protection measures for medical radiation workers are adequate, provide guidance on cancer screening needs, and yield ..
- Pharmacologic approaches to radiation protection
David M Brizel
Department of Radiation Oncology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC 27710, USA
J Clin Oncol 25:4084-9. 2007
..Pharmacologic radioprotective strategies should be integrated with physical strategies such as intensity-modulated radiotherapy to realize their maximum clinical potential...
- Validation of CT dose-reduction simulation
Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, 510 South Kingshighway, St Louis, Missouri 63110, USA
Med Phys 36:174-89. 2009
..The methodology promises to be a useful tool for researchers and radiologists to explore dose reduction protocols in an effort to produce diagnostic images with radiation dose "as low as reasonably achievable"...
- Usefulness of non-lead aprons in radiation protection for physicians performing interventional procedures
Course of Radiological Technology, Health Sciences, Tohoku University Graduate School of Medicine, 2 1 Seiryo, Aoba, Sendai 980 8575, Japan
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 131:531-4. 2008
..In this study, the radiation protection effects of commercially available protective lead and non-lead aprons, when exposed to diagnostic X rays, ..
- Radiation protection in the era of helical CT: practical patient based programs for decreasing patient exposure
Department of Radiology, Southern New Hampshire Medical Center, Nashua, NH, USA
Semin Ultrasound CT MR 31:46-52. 2010
..Technical, educational, and management methods are outlined in detail as well as their rationale. Preliminary results of this comprehensive program are also outlined after the first year of its institution...
- Recommendations for occupational radiation protection in interventional cardiology
Cardiology Department, University Hospital, Montevideo, Uruguay
Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 82:29-42. 2013
..This document provides recommendations for occupational radiation protection for physicians and other staff in the interventional suite...
- Radiation dose and radiation protection for patients and physicians during interventional procedure
Department of Radiological Technology, School of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Tohoku University
J Radiat Res 51:97-105. 2010
..Therefore, radiation protection during IVR poses a very important problem...
- Radiation countermeasure agents: an update
Universite de Strasbourg, Centre Regional de Lutte Contre le Cancer Paul Strauss, Laboratoire de Radiobiologie EA 3430, 3 rue de la porte de l Hôpital, F 67065 Strasbourg, France
Expert Opin Ther Pat 20:73-101. 2010
..There is, therefore, a pressing need to develop safe and effective radiation countermeasure (RC) agents to prevent, mitigate or treat the harmful consequences of IR exposure...
- Low-dose extrapolation of radiation health risks: some implications of uncertainty for radiation protection at low doses
Charles E Land
National Cancer Institute National Institutes of Health, Radiation Epidemiology Branch EPS 7046, 6120 Executive Boulevard, MS7238, Bethesda, MD 20892 7238, USA
Health Phys 97:407-15. 2009
..b>Radiation protection is ultimately a political process that involves consent by stakeholders, a diverse group that includes ..
- Current issues and actions in radiation protection of patients
Radiation Safety and Monitoring Section, Division of Radiation, Transport and Waste Safety, International Atomic Energy Agency, Vienna, Austria
Eur J Radiol 76:15-9. 2010
..Current issues in radiation protection of patients include not only the rapidly increasing collective dose to the global population from medical ..
- Molecular targets in cellular response to ionizing radiation and implications in space radiation protection
Physics Laboratory, Istituto Superiore di Sanita, 00161 Rome, Italy
J Radiat Res 43:S13-9. 2002
..Information reviewed in this paper on the basic mechanisms of cellular response to ionizing radiation indicates their importance for a number of issues relevant to protection of astronauts from space radiation...
- Radiation doses to cohabitants of patients undergoing radioiodine ablation for thyroid cancer: poor compliance with radiation protection guidelines but low radiation exposure
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Timone Hospital, Marseille, France
Nucl Med Commun 32:829-33. 2011
..The aim of this study was to evaluate the key determinants of dose exposure to familial members, with particular reference to the degree of adherence to current radiation safety guidelines...
- Radiation protection in deep space
Z Med Phys 15:1-2. 2005
- Image quality and radiation dose of low dose coronary CT angiography in obese patients: sinogram affirmed iterative reconstruction versus filtered back projection
Department of Radiology, Beijing Anzhen Hospital, Capital Medical University, 100029 Beijing, China
Eur J Radiol 81:3141-5. 2012
- Radiation exposure in vascular angiographic procedures
Michael Bernhard Pitton
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Johannes Gutenberg University, Langenbeckstr 1, 55131 Mainz, Germany
J Vasc Interv Radiol 23:1487-95. 2012
..To evaluate dose reduction in vascular angiographic procedures by using fluoroscopy capture instead of digital subtraction angiography frames for documentation...
- Patient radiation dose management in the follow-up of potential skin injuries in neuroradiology
Medical Physics Service and Radiology Department, Instituto de Investigación Sanitaria Hospital Clinico San Carlos and Complutense University, Madrid, Spain
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 34:277-82. 2013
..We present the results of a follow-up program applied to potential skin injuries in interventional neuroradiology based on North American and European guidelines...
- Report on an interagency workshop on the radiobiology of nuclear terrorism. Molecular and cellular biology dose (1-10 Sv) radiation and potential mechanisms of radiation protection (Bethesda, Maryland, December 17-18, 2001)
John E Moulder
Department of Radiation Oncology, Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA
Radiat Res 158:118-24. 2002
- A physiological systems model for iodine for use in radiation protection
R W Leggett
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, Tennessee 37831, USA
Radiat Res 174:496-516. 2010
..Absorbed dose estimates for intravenous administration of radioiodine-labeled thyroid hormones based on the proposed model differ substantially in some cases from current ICRP values...
- A biokinetic model for zinc for use in radiation protection
R W Leggett
Oak Ridge NationalLaboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831, USA
Sci Total Environ 420:1-12. 2012
..data for zinc and proposes a physiologically meaningful biokinetic model for systemic zinc for use in radiation protection. The proposed model bears some resemblance to zinc models developed in physiological studies but depicts a ..
- Alpha particles as radiopharmaceuticals in the treatment of bone metastases: mechanism of action of radium-223 chloride (Alpharadin) and radiation protection
Philippa J Cheetham
Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center at Columbia University Medical Center, New York, New York 10032, USA
Oncology (Williston Park) 26:330-7, 341. 2012
..The mechanism of action of Alpharadin and specifics of administration, radiation protection, and patient management will be discussed.
- Effects of ionising radiation exposure on plants, fish and mammals: relevant data for environmental radiation protection
Spanish Research Centre in Energy, Environment and Technology, Avenida Complutense, 22 Madrid 28040, Spain
J Radiol Prot 24:A123-37. 2004
..The responses then increase progressively with increasing dose rate and usually become very clear at dose rates > 10(3) microGy h(-1) sustained for a large fraction of the lifespan...
- Multidetector computed tomography chest examinations with low-kilovoltage protocols in adults: effect on image quality and radiation dose
Mi Jung Kim
Department of Radiology, Gachon University Gil Medical Center, Incheon, Republic of Korea
J Comput Assist Tomogr 33:416-21. 2009
..The purpose of our study was to assess the effect on image quality and radiation dose of chest multidetector computed tomography (CT) examinations with low-kilovoltage protocols for adults...
- Radiation protection in digestive endoscopy: European Society of Digestive Endoscopy (ESGE) guideline
J M Dumonceau
Service of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Geneva University Hospitals, Geneva, Switzerland
Endoscopy 44:408-21. 2012
This article expresses the current view of the European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) about radiation protection for endoscopic procedures, in particular endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP)...
- Reliability of a new biokinetic model of zirconium in internal dosimetry: part I, parameter uncertainty analysis
Wei Bo Li
Research Unit Medical Radiation Physics and Diagnostics, Helmholtz Zentrum Munchen German Research Center for Environmental Health GmbH, D 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Health Phys 101:660-76. 2011
..The uncertainty information on the model parameters analyzed in this study was used in the second part of the paper regarding a sensitivity analysis of the Zr biokinetic models...
- Radiation dose reduction to the male gonads during MDCT: the effectiveness of a lead shield
Department of Diagnositc Radiology, University of Technology of Aachen, Paulwelsstrasse 30, Aachen D 52057, Germany
AJR Am J Roentgenol 184:128-30. 2005
..Our study was designed to quantify the effect of a standard gonad shield on the testicular radiation exposure due to scatter during routine abdominopelvic MDCT...
- Radiation protection dosimetry for diagnostic radiology patients
B F Wall
NRPB, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon, OX11 0RG, UK
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 109:409-19. 2004
The radiation protection of patients undergoing medical X-ray examinations is governed by the principles of justification and optimisation...
- Role of Rubia cordifolia Linn. in radiation protection
Yamini Bhusan Tripathi
Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Institute of Medical Sciences, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi 221 005, India
Indian J Exp Biol 45:620-5. 2007
..A significant radiation protection (67%) as assessed by increased animal survival was observed when R...
- Comparison of operator radiation exposure with optimized radiation protection devices during coronary angiograms and ad hoc percutaneous coronary interventions by radial and femoral routes
Service de cardiologie, Hopital Robert Debre, Centre Hospitalier Universitaire de Reims, 51092 Reims Cedex, France
Eur Heart J 29:63-70. 2008
..The objective of the present operator-blinded registry was to compare related-peripheral arterial route radiation exposure of operators...
- Computed tomography and radiation: understanding the issues
Donald P Frush
Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
J Am Coll Radiol 1:113-9. 2004
..It is with an understanding of these issues that radiologists and other radiology personnel can participate in an informed discussion with referring physicians and patients and continue to optimize the practice of CT...
- Image quality and dose management in digital radiography: a new paradigm for optimisation
H P Busch
Department of Radiology, Krankenhaus der Barmherzigen Brudder, Nordalle, Trier, Germany
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 117:143-7. 2005
..These fundamental differences in comparison to conventional film/screens necessitate the development of new strategies for dose and quality optimizations. A set of referral criteria based upon three dose levels is proposed...
- Adjustment of guidelines for exposure of the eye to optical radiation from ocular instruments: statement from a task group of the International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP)
International Commission on Non Ionizing Radiation Protection, Ingolstaedter Land strasse 1, Oberschleissheim, Germany
Appl Opt 44:2162-76. 2005
..We convert both laser and incoherent exposure guidelines derived for normal exposure conditions to the application of ophthalmic sources...
- Neutron measurements in the vicinity of a self-shielded PET cyclotron
N E Hertel
Neely Nuclear Research Center, G W Woodruff School of Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA 30332 0405, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 108:255-61. 2004
..The neutron measurements reported were made during the production of 18F via the 18O(p,n)18F reaction (Q = -2.4 MeV). Neutron spectra were obtained with the BUMS unfolding code and converted to dose equivalent rates...
- Evaluation of a radiation protection cabin for invasive electrophysiological procedures
Cardiology Electrophysiology, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Eur Heart J 28:183-9. 2007
..Classical protection with lead aprons results in discomfort while radioprotection is still incomplete. This study evaluated the usefulness of a radiation protection cabin (RPC) that completely surrounds the operator.
- Diagnostic reference levels in pediatric radiology in Austria
Center for Biomedical Engineering and Physics, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
Eur Radiol 20:1572-9. 2010
..Because of the higher sensitivity to radiation in children, optimization plays an essential role in pediatric radiology. Diagnostic reference levels are a helpful tool to optimize patient dose for standard radiographic procedures...
- Radiation protection in 90Y-labelled DOTA-D-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotide preparations
Medical Physics Department, Santa Maria Nuova Hospital, Reggio Emilia, Italy
Nucl Med Commun 30:176-82. 2009
..The aim of this study is thus the evaluation of the personal beta-dosimetry data related to therapeutic 90Y-labelled DOTA-D-Phe1-Tyr3-octreotide preparation and administration in a nuclear medicine department...
- Lack of radiation protection for endoscopists performing endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography
Byoung Kwan Son
Department of Internal Medicine, Eulji University Eulji General Hospital, Korea
Korean J Gastroenterol 58:93-9. 2011
ERCP using fluoroscopy should be practiced with an adequate radiation protection. However, the awareness of gastrointestinal endoscopists to radiation protection was considered insufficient...
- Study on the use of gonadal protection shields during paediatric pelvic X-rays
King s Mill Hospital, Sutton in Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, UK
Ann R Coll Surg Engl 85:422-5. 2003
..It is important to follow these guidelines especially when paediatric X-rays are taken. Gonads are very susceptible to radiation as they fall directly in the line of radiation exposure when pelvic X-rays are taken...
- Pediatric radiation protection
Marshall University School of Medicine, USA
Radiol Technol 76:365-75; quiz 376-8. 2005
After completing this article, readers should be able to: Discuss the importance of pediatric radiation protection. List several means for reducing pediatric radiation exposure. Discuss pediatric immobilization and sedation...
- Radiation exposure to cardiologists: how it could be reduced
Heart 89:1123-4. 2003
- ICRP recommendations on 'Managing patient dose in digital radiology'
San Carlos University Hospital, Radiology Department, Complutense University, 28040 Madrid, Spain
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 114:126-30. 2005
- MAX06 and FAX06: update of two adult human phantoms for radiation protection dosimetry
Departamento de Energia Nuclear, Universidade Federal de Pernambuco, Av Prof Luiz Freire 1000, Cidade Universitaria, CEP 50740 540, Recife, PE, Brazil
Phys Med Biol 51:3331-46. 2006
- Measurement of thermal neutron fluence distribution with use of 23Na radioactivation around a medical compact cyclotron
Department of Radiological Sciences, School of Health Sciences, Ibaraki Prefectural University, Inashiki Gun, Ibaraki, Japan
Radiol Phys Technol 2:159-65. 2009
- Neutron spectrometry in a PET cyclotron with a Bonner sphere system
Grup de Física de les Radiacions Departament de Física, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona, E 08193 Bellaterra, Spain
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 126:371-5. 2007
..The neutron spectrum at each location was determined with an unfolding code developed by the authors...
- Radiation protection of HepG2 cells by Podophyllum hexandrum Royale
Radiation Biology Division, Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences, Defence Research and Development Organization DRDO, Delhi, India
Mol Cell Biochem 250:27-40. 2003
..Pre-irradiation administration of RP-1 significantly reduced both ROS and NO generation and enhanced glutathione levels, thereby inhibiting lipid peroxidation...
- Radiation protection in pediatric imaging
Association of Health Care Journalists, Society of Professional Journalists, and Investigative Reporters and Editors, USA
Radiol Technol 82:421-39. 2011
..Radiation risks are greater for children, which makes strict compliance with radiation protection practices a public health imperative...
- Recommendations from the International Union of Radioecology to improve guidance on radiation protection
International Union of Radioecology IUR, Secretariat at Institute of Radioprotection and Nuclear Safety IRSN, Centre of Cadarache, Building 229, 13115 St Paul Lez Durance cedex, France
Integr Environ Assess Manag 7:411-3. 2011
- An approach to simulate and visualize intraoperative scattered radiation exposure to improve radiation protection training
Peter L Reichertz Institute for Medical Informatics, University of Braunschweig Institute of Technology and Hannover Medical School, Braunschweig, Germany
Stud Health Technol Inform 160:625-8. 2010
..At courses on radiation protection the knowledge of the behavior of scattered radiation and the modus operandi to minimize the radiation ..
- International project on individual monitoring and radiation exposure levels in interventional cardiology
Medical Physics Department, University Hospital, Udine, Italy
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 144:437-41. 2011
..Atomic Energy Agency initiative, a Working Group on interventional cardiology, aims to assess staff radiation protection (RP) levels and to propose an international database of occupational exposures...
- Novel method for determining hydrogel and silicone hydrogel contact lens transmission curves and their spatially specific ultraviolet radiation protection factors
James E Walsh
School of Physics and Facility for Optical Characterization and Spectroscopy Institute, Dublin Institute of Technology, Dublin, Ireland
Eye Contact Lens 33:58-64. 2007
..UV radiation-blocking hydrogel contact lenses provide protection across the ocular surface, which varies according to the lens thickness...
- Reconciling scientists' beliefs about radiation risks and social norms: explaining preferred radiation protection standards
Carol L Silva
Department of Political Science and the Center for Applied Social Research, University of Oklahoma, 2 Partner s Place, 3100 Monitor, Suite 100, Norman, OK 73072, USA
Risk Anal 27:755-73. 2007
..Implications for scientific advice to policymakers are discussed...
- Mechanistic bases for modelling space radiation risk and planning radiation protection of astronauts
Dipartimento di Fisica, Universita degli Studi di Milano and INFN--Sezione di Milano, Milano, Italy
Phys Med 17:272-7. 2001
The approaches generally adopted for planning radiation protection in ground-based facilities cannot be applied straightforward for astronaut protection in space...
- Issues in deep space radiation protection
J W Wilson
NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA, USA
Acta Astronaut 49:289-312. 2001
..Methods for optimization of spacecraft shielding and the associated role of materials selection are discussed. One material which may prove to be an important radiation protection material is hydrogenated carbon nanofibers.
- Evaluation of the transmitted exposure through lead equivalent aprons used in a radiology department, including the contribution from backscatter
Emmanuel G Christodoulou
Department of Radiology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109 0030, USA
Med Phys 30:1033-8. 2003
..There is also a need for the establishment of appropriate methods and frequencies of routine quality assurance testing of radiation protection aprons.
- Strategies for CT radiation dose optimization
Mannudeep K Kalra
Department of Radiology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, White 270 E, 55 Fruit St, Boston, MA 02114, USA
Radiology 230:619-28. 2004
- Do CEC guidelines under-utilise the full potential of increasing kVp as a dose-reducing tool?
UCD School of Diagnostic Imaging, Herbert Avenue, Dublin 4, Ireland
Eur Radiol 13:1992-9. 2003
..The need for further work exploring the effect of higher energies on visualisation of subtle pathological lesions has been identified...
- Effects of target fragmentation on evaluation of LET spectra from space radiations: implications for space radiation protection studies
F A Cucinotta
NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA 23681 0001, USA
Radiat Meas 26:923-34. 1996
..These results suggest that studies of track structure and biological response of space radiation should place emphasis on short tracks of medium charge fragments produced in the human body by high energy protons and neutrons...
- Evaluation of a flat panel digital radiographic system for low-dose portable imaging of neonates
Department of Radiology, Duke University, DUMC 3302, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Med Phys 30:601-7. 2003
..The rapid availability of flat-panel images in portable imaging was found to be an added advantage for timely clinical decision-making...
- Occupational radiation doses in interventional cardiology: a 15-year follow-up
Department of Radiology, Complutense University Medical School 28040 Madrid, Spain
Br J Radiol 79:383-8. 2006
..radiation doses of interventional cardiologists over 15 years and assesses action undertaken to optimize radiation protection. Personal dosimetry records of nine staff cardiologists and eight interventional cardiology fellows were ..
- Preventing or reducing late side effects of radiation therapy: radiobiology meets molecular pathology
Søren M Bentzen
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health, Department of Human Oncology, K4 316 Clinical Science Center, 600 Highland Avenue, Madison, Wisconsin 53792, USA
Nat Rev Cancer 6:702-13. 2006
..This stimulates research into new pharmacological strategies for preventing or reducing the side effects of radiation therapy...
- Effective dose: how should it be applied to medical exposures?
C J Martin
Department of Clinical Physics and Bio engineering, Health Physics, Gartnavel Royal Hospital, West House, Glasgow G12 0XH, UK
Br J Radiol 80:639-47. 2007
..E was intended for use in radiation protection, but has found wide application in evaluation of doses for medical exposures involving only parts of the ..
- Assessment of radiation dose awareness among pediatricians
Karen E Thomas
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, The Hospital for Sick Children, and Department of Family and Community Medicine, University of Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1X8, Canada
Pediatr Radiol 36:823-32. 2006
..However, it is not known whether there has been a corresponding increase in awareness among pediatricians...
- Patient exposure in medical X-ray imaging in Europe
Dieter F Regulla
GSF National Research Center for Environment and Health, Institute of Radiation Protection, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 114:11-25. 2005
..Corresponding data are presented and comments are made on the international situation of non-harmonised data collection on patient exposure as well as of parameters affecting the assessment of exposure and risk...
- Operational radiation protection in high-energy physics accelerators
S H Rokni
SLAC National Accelerator Laboratory, 2575 Sand Hill Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025, USA
Radiat Prot Dosimetry 137:3-17. 2009
An overview of operational radiation protection (RP) policies and practices at high-energy electron and proton accelerators used for physics research is presented...
- Cancer risk related to low-dose ionizing radiation from cardiac imaging in patients after acute myocardial infarction
Mark J Eisenberg
Division of Cardiology, Jewish General Hospital, Montreal, Que
CMAJ 183:430-6. 2011
..Patients exposed to low-dose ionizing radiation from cardiac imaging and therapeutic procedures after acute myocardial infarction may be at increased risk of cancer...
- Peripheral dose in ocular treatments with CyberKnife and Gamma Knife radiosurgery compared to proton radiotherapy
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94143, USA
Phys Med Biol 52:5957-71. 2007
..At distal locations in the pelvis, peripheral doses delivered with proton and Gamma Knife are of an order of magnitude smaller than those delivered with CyberKnife...
- Dose and image quality in the comparison of analogue and digital techniques in paediatric urology examinations
Department of Radiation Physics, IMV, University Hospital, 581 85 Linkoping, Sweden
Eur Radiol 14:638-44. 2004
..The image quality showed no statistical difference between the two techniques. There is a potential for a substantial dose reduction in both MUCG and IVU examinations using digital techniques...
- Peripheral doses in CyberKnife radiosurgery
Paula L Petti
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of California, San Francisco, 505 Parnassus Avenue, Long 75 Box 0226, San Francisco, California 94143, USA
Med Phys 33:1770-9. 2006
..For distances larger than 40 cm from the field edge, the CyberKnife peripheral dose is directly related to the number of MU delivered, since leakage radiation is the dominant component...
- X-ray burns--painful, protracted, and preventable
Ronald E Vlietstra
Watson Clinic, Lakeland, Florida 33803, USA
Clin Cardiol 31:145-7. 2008
..Better education and improved methods for dose mapping should make these distressing complications a thing of the past...
- Radiation biology: concepts for radiation protection
R Julian Preston
Environmental Carcinogenesis Division, NHEERL, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, USA
Health Phys 88:545-56. 2005
..Thus, radiation biology research has always had a focus on how best to protect human health from radiation exposures and will continue to do so...
- Selective radioprotection of normal tissues by Bowman-birk proteinase inhibitor (BBI) in mice
Division of Radiobiology and Environmental Research, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Tuebingen, Germany
Strahlenther Onkol 181:191-6. 2005
..The purpose of the present study was to explore the in vivo normal-tissue radioprotective potential of Bowman-Birk proteinase inhibitor (BBI), which acts as a normal-cell-specific radioprotector in vitro...
- Radiation dose reduction at a price: the effectiveness of a male gonadal shield during helical CT scans
Lawrence T Dauer
Department of Medical Physics, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY 10021, USA
BMC Med Imaging 7:5. 2007
..This information is obtained to assist the attending radiologist in the decision to utilize such male gonadal shields in pediatric imaging practice...
- Evaluation of the efficacy of a bismuth shield during CT examinations
Struttura Complessa di Fisica Sanitaria, Azienda Ospedaliera Niguarda Ca Granda, Milan
Radiol Med 108:560-8. 2004
..The shield was evaluated for reduction of the dose to breast during chest examinations and reduction of the dose to the lens of the eye during brain examinations...
- Lauriston S. Taylor Lecture: Radiation protection in the aftermath of a terrorist attack involving exposure to ionizing radiation
Abel J González
International Atomic Energy Agency, Wagramerstrasse 5, A 1400 Vienna, Austria
Health Phys 89:418-46. 2005
..Taylor Lecture by expressing my gratitude to the National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements (NCRP) for this unique occasion...
- Dynamic flat panel detector versus image intensifier in cardiac imaging: dose and image quality
Radiology Department, Medicine School, Complutense University and San Carlos University Hospital, Madrid, Spain
Phys Med Biol 50:5731-42. 2005
..There is potential in the future to set those systems with dynamic FD to lower doses than are possible in the current II versions, especially for digital cine runs, or to benefit from improved image quality...
- MOSFET dosimetry for radiation dose assessment of bismuth shielding of the eye in children
Department of Radiology, Duke University Medical Center, DUMC Box 3808, Durham, NC 27705, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 188:1648-50. 2007
..CONCLUSION: Bismuth shielding reduced radiation dose to the eye by up to 42%; shield artifact fell outside the diagnostic area of interest...
- Monte Carlo simulation of x-ray buildup factors of lead and its applications in shielding of diagnostic x-ray facilities
Ecole Supérieure des Sciences et Techniques de la Santé de Monastir, Avenue Avicenne 5000 Monastir, Tunisia
Med Phys 34:1398-404. 2007
..Therefore, the combination of the buildup factors data as determined and a mathematical model to generate x-ray spectra provide a computationally based solution to broad beam transmission for lead barriers in shielding x-ray facilities...
- Automatic patient centering for MDCT: effect on radiation dose
Department of Radiology, Emory University School of Medicine, 1364 Clifton Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30322, USA
AJR Am J Roentgenol 188:547-52. 2007
..The purpose of this study was to determine with phantom and patient imaging the effect of an automatic patient-centering technique on the radiation dose associated with MDCT...
- SunSafe in the Middle School Years: a community-wide intervention to change early-adolescent sun protection
Ardis L Olson
Department of Pediatrics, Dartmouth Medical School, Norris Cotton Cancer Center, Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA
Pediatrics 119:e247-56. 2007
..Our study objective was to determine if a multicomponent community-wide intervention could alter the decline in sun protection that begins in early adolescence...