Summary: Multidisciplinary field focusing on prevention of infectious diseases and patient safety during international TRAVEL. Key element of patient's pre-travel visit to the physician is a health risk assessment.
- Sadarangani S, Lim P, Vasoo S. Infectious diseases and migrant worker health in Singapore: a receiving country's perspective. J Travel Med. 2017;24: pubmed publisher..Receiving countries need improved surveillance, expansion of preventive measures and decreased barriers to healthcare access for migrant workers. ..
- Rodriguez Morales A, Ruiz P, Tabares J, Ossa C, Yepes Echeverry M, Ramirez Jaramillo V, et al. Mapping the ecoepidemiology of Zika virus infection in urban and rural areas of Pereira, Risaralda, Colombia, 2015-2016: Implications for public health and travel medicine. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2017;18:57-66 pubmed publisher..Such data also enable microepidemiology and the prediction of risk for travelers who visit specific areas in a destination country. ..
- Leangapichart T, Rolain J, Memish Z, Al Tawfiq J, Gautret P. Emergence of drug resistant bacteria at the Hajj: A systematic review. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2017;18:3-17 pubmed publisher..Thus, pilgrims should be instructed by health care practitioners about hygiene practices aiming at reducing traveler's diarrhea and limited use of antibiotics during travel in order to reduce the risk of MDR bacterial transmission. ..
- Petersen J, Simons H, Patel D. Access to yellow fever travel vaccination centres in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland: A geographical study. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2017;18:24-29 pubmed publisher..The service availability was in line with demand regionally. With the exception of remote, rural areas, yellow fever vaccination services were widely available with only short distances to cover for the travelling public. ..
- McGrath C, Leder K. Travellers' diarrhoea-a survey of practice. J Travel Med. 2017;24: pubmed publisher..participate in the survey was distributed early 2016 through selected Australian and New Zealand speciality travel medicine centres and through the electronic mailing list of the International Society of Travel Medicine (ISTM)...
- Jennings M, Tilley D, Ballard S, Villanueva M, Costa F, Lopez M, et al. Case-Case Analysis Using 7 Years of Travelers' Diarrhea Surveillance Data: Preventive and Travel Medicine Applications in Cusco, Peru. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;96:1097-1106 pubmed publisher..Understanding these factors would allow travel medicine providers to tailor interventions to patients' risk profiles and travel destination...
- Wilder Smith A, Leong W. Importation of yellow fever into China: assessing travel patterns. J Travel Med. 2017;24: pubmed publisher..The recent importation cases into China also unmasked the low YF vaccination coverage among Chinese travellers and workers to Angola, indicating the need to ensure better adherence to the International Health Regulations. ..
- Simkhada P, Regmi P, van Teijlingen E, Aryal N. Identifying the gaps in Nepalese migrant workers' health and well-being: a review of the literature. J Travel Med. 2017;24: pubmed publisherThe health and well-being of migrant workers from low-income countries is often neglected in travel medicine. This article uses Nepal as a case study to highlight key issues affecting this particular group of international travellers...
- Jungerman M, Vonnahme L, Washburn F, Alvarado Ramy F. Federal travel restrictions to prevent disease transmission in the United States: An analysis of requested travel restrictions. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2017;18:30-35 pubmed publisher..In addition, they are effective tools available to public health agencies to prevent commercial travel of individuals with certain communicable diseases and possibly reconnect them with public health authorities. ..