Summary: A specialty in which manual or operative procedures are used in the treatment of disease, injuries, or deformities.
- Thoma A, Farrokhyar F, McKnight L, Bhandari M. Practical tips for surgical research: how to optimize patient recruitment. Can J Surg. 2010;53:205-10 pubmed
- Wandling M, Ko C, Bankey P, Cribari C, Cryer H, Diaz J, et al. Expanding the scope of quality measurement in surgery to include nonoperative care: Results from the American College of Surgeons National Surgical Quality Improvement Program emergency general surgery pilot. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2017;83:837-845 pubmed publisher..Consequently, optimal performance evaluation is not possible for specialties like emergency general surgery (EGS) where nonoperative management is common...
- . Obituary. D. G. C. Tasker, B.Sc., M.S., F.R.C.S. Bristol Med Chir J. 1968;83:16-9 pubmed
- DeSoucy E, Zakaluzny S, Galante J. A novel flight surgeon training model at a joint military and civilian surgical residency program. J Surg Res. 2017;215:67-73 pubmed publisherGraduating military preliminary interns are often required to fill flight surgeon billets. General surgery preliminary interns get experience evaluating surgical and trauma patients, but receive very little training in primary care and ..
- Bhangu A, Fitzgerald J, Kolias A. Trainee-led research collaboratives: a novel model for delivering multi-centre studies. ANZ J Surg. 2014;84:902-3 pubmed
- Skarsgard E. Does general surgery residency training provide competence in community-based pediatric surgery?. Can J Surg. 2009;52:E220; author reply 220-1 pubmed
- Sharoky C, Bailey E, Sellers M, Kaufman E, Sinnamon A, Wirtalla C, et al. Outcomes of hospitalized patients undergoing emergency general surgery remote from admission. Surgery. 2017;162:612-619 pubmed publisherEmergency general surgery during hospitalization has not been well characterized...
- NIERENSTEIN M. Observations on some rock carvings of surgical instruments in East Africa. Bristol Med Chir J (1883). 1945;62:14-7 pubmed
- Farrugia P, Petrisor B, Farrokhyar F, Bhandari M. Practical tips for surgical research: Research questions, hypotheses and objectives. Can J Surg. 2010;53:278-81 pubmed
- Martin J, Regehr G, Reznick R, MacRae H, Murnaghan J, Hutchison C, et al. Objective structured assessment of technical skill (OSATS) for surgical residents. Br J Surg. 1997;84:273-8 pubmed..Global ratings are a better method of assessment than task-specific checklists. Bench model simulation gives equivalent results to use of live animals for this test format. ..
- Polk H. Remembrances from an early follower and leader of the Association for Academic Surgery. J Surg Res. 2017;217:3-5 pubmed publisher..Perhaps the most important contribution was Dr. George Zuidema's theme of inclusiveness. AAS was a decade ahead of its time in that regard. ..
- Renteria O, Mokdad A, Imran J, Huerta S. Resident postgraduate year does not influence rate of complications following inguinal herniorrhaphy. J Surg Res. 2017;219:61-65 pubmed publisher..Lower PGY level was also associated with increased operative time. We hypothesize that when controlling for surgeon, technique, and hernia type, the outcomes for inguinal herniorrhaphy are the same independent of PGY level...
- Gardner A, Abdelfattah K. Comparison of simulation-based assessments and faculty ratings for general surgery resident milestone evaluation: Are they telling the same story?. Am J Surg. 2017;214:547-553 pubmed publisher..is to examine the role of simulation in documenting resident nontechnical competencies outlined by the general surgery milestones, and compare those assessments to faculty ratings...
- Hansen B. Medical History's Moment in Art Photography (1920 to 1950): How Lejaren à Hiller and Valentino Sarra Created a Fashion for Scenes of Early Surgery. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 2017;72:381-421 pubmed publisher..An appreciation of these photographs enlarges our understanding of the place of medical history in American culture during the first half of the twentieth century...
- Chu D, Chen H. The Association for Academic Surgeons 2001-2010: a decade of inclusiveness. J Surg Res. 2017;217:16-19 pubmed publisher..In this article, we review these historical highlights and will demonstrate that the AAS remains the most important home for the young academic surgeon. ..
- . Abstracts from the 26th National Congress of the Italian Society of Geriatric Surgery, 19-22 June 2013, Naples, Italy. BMC Surg. 2013;13 Suppl 1:A1-A20 pubmed
- Fleisher L, Fleischmann K, Auerbach A, Barnason S, Beckman J, Bozkurt B, et al. 2014 ACC/AHA guideline on perioperative cardiovascular evaluation and management of patients undergoing noncardiac surgery: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation. 2014;130:e278-333 pubmed publisher
- Merry A, Ramage M, Whitlock R, Laycock G, Smith W, Stenhouse D, et al. First-time coronary artery bypass grafting: the anaesthetist as a risk factor. Br J Anaesth. 1992;68:6-12 pubmed..01) and anaesthetist (P = 0.05) were associated significantly with outcome. ..
- Mavrodi A, Paraskevas G. Mondino de Luzzi: a luminous figure in the darkness of the Middle Ages. Croat Med J. 2014;55:50-3 pubmed
- Schneidman D. Elias S. Hanna, MD, FACS, opens his heart to patients the world over. Bull Am Coll Surg. 2011;96:22-3 pubmed
- Modi H, Singh H, Yang G, Darzi A, Leff D. A decade of imaging surgeons' brain function (part II): A systematic review of applications for technical and nontechnical skills assessment. Surgery. 2017;162:1130-1139 pubmed publisher..Although there has been a critical mass of data detailing surgeons' brain function, this literature has not been reviewed systematically...
- George B, Bohnen J, Williams R, Meyerson S, Schuller M, Clark M, et al. Readiness of US General Surgery Residents for Independent Practice. Ann Surg. 2017;266:582-594 pubmed publisherThis study evaluates the current state of the General Surgery (GS) residency training model by investigating resident operative performance and autonomy...
- . Abstracts of the XXIII Annual Meeting of the Italian Society of Geriatric Surgery. Lecce, Italy. December 2-4, 2010. BMC Geriatr. 2011;11 Suppl 1:A1-66 pubmed
- Del Blanco Á, Torrente J, Fernández Manjón B, Ruiz P, Giner M. Using a videogame to facilitate nursing and medical students' first visit to the operating theatre. A randomized controlled trial. Nurse Educ Today. 2017;55:45-53 pubmed publisher..After their first visit to the theatre, students in EG showed less fear (C1) and also perceived to have committed fewer errors (C3), while they showed higher perceived knowledge (C2) and a more collaborative attitude (C4). ..
- Baudon J. [The advent of a newborn specialty: 19th century pediatrics]. Presse Med. 2017;46:438-448 pubmed publisher..In contrast, therapeutics as serotherapy, vaccinations at the break of the 20th century played a secondary role. ..
- Gaunt A, Patel A, Fallis S, Rusius V, Mylvaganam S, Royle T, et al. Surgical Trainee Feedback-Seeking Behavior in the Context of Workplace-Based Assessment in Clinical Settings. Acad Med. 2017;92:827-834 pubmed publisher..Encouraging trainees to actively seek feedback by providing specific training and creating a supportive environment for feedback interactions could positively affect their ability to seek feedback. ..
- Nassour I, Spalding M, Hynan L, Gardner A, Williams B. The surgeon-performed ultrasound: a curriculum to improve residents' basic ultrasound knowledge. J Surg Res. 2017;213:51-59 pubmed publisher..We believe that such an educational endeavor should be encouraged by all surgical residencies. ..
- Abbott E, Thompson W, Pandian T, Zendejas B, Farley D, Cook D. Personalized Video Feedback and Repeated Task Practice Improve Laparoscopic Knot-Tying Skills: Two Controlled Trials. Acad Med. 2017;92:S26-S32 pubmed publisher..b>General surgery interns and research fellows completed four repetitions of a simulated laparoscopic knot-tying task at one-..
- Quick J, Kudav V, Doty J, Crane M, Bukoski A, Bennett B, et al. Surgical resident technical skill self-evaluation: increased precision with training progression. J Surg Res. 2017;218:144-149 pubmed publisher..We aimed to determine if differences exist between self and observer technical skill evaluation of surgical residents performing a single procedure...
- Armenia S, Pentakota S, Merchant A. Socioeconomic factors and mortality in emergency general surgery: trends over a 20-year period. J Surg Res. 2017;212:178-186 pubmed publisher..such as race, insurance, and income quartiles have been identified as independent risk factors in emergency general surgery (EGS), but this impact has not been studied over time...
- Vowles K. Surgical safari. Bristol Med Chir J. 1988;103:48-9 pubmed
- Eyre Brook A. Richard Smith Junior and his times. Bristol Med Chir J. 1969;84:1-11 pubmed
- Kelly S. Mesh abdominal wall hernia surgery is safe and effective-the harm New Zealand media has done. N Z Med J. 2017;130:54-57 pubmed..The worsening confidence in the transvaginal mesh prolapse repair should not adversely affect the good results of mesh abdominal wall hernia repair. New Zealand general surgeons are well trained in providing modern hernia surgery...
- Craig S. "Enquire into All the Circumstances of the Patient Narrowly": John Rutherford's Clinical Lectures in Edinburgh, 1749-53. J Hist Med Allied Sci. 2017;72:302-327 pubmed publisher..Importantly too, Rutherford prepared his students for failure through humility, introspection, and the speculative nature of medical practice. ..