Summary: The study and practice of medicine by direct examination of the patient.
- Kocher R, Emanuel E, DeParle N. The Affordable Care Act and the future of clinical medicine: the opportunities and challenges. Ann Intern Med. 2010;153:536-9 pubmed publisher..Under the Affordable Care Act, physicians who effectively collaborate with other providers to improve patient outcomes, the value of medical services, and patient experiences will thrive and be the leaders of the health care system. ..
- Falagas M, Kouranos V, Michalopoulos A, Rodopoulou S, Batsiou M, Karageorgopoulos D. Comparison of the distribution of citations received by articles published in high, moderate, and low impact factor journals in clinical medicine. Intern Med J. 2010;40:587-91 pubmed publisher..distribution of citations received by articles published in high, moderate and low impact factor journals in clinical medicine seems similar...
- Palmer R. A review of the use of ethyl glucuronide as a marker for ethanol consumption in forensic and clinical medicine. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2009;26:18-27 pubmed..The following review briefly explores the history, utility, and limitations of EtG in contemporary medical and forensic practice. ..
- Bellazzi R, Zupan B. Predictive data mining in clinical medicine: current issues and guidelines. Int J Med Inform. 2008;77:81-97 pubmed..a framework to cope with the problems of constructing, assessing and exploiting data mining models in clinical medicine. We review the recent relevant work published in the area of predictive data mining in clinical medicine, ..
- Bonham V, Sellers S, Gallagher T, Frank D, Odunlami A, Price E, et al. Physicians' attitudes toward race, genetics, and clinical medicine. Genet Med. 2009;11:279-86 pubmed publisher..Understanding the similarities and differences between black and white physicians' attitudes and beliefs about race, health and genetics is important for the translation of genomics to clinical care. ..
- Omori D, Wong R, Antonelli M, Hemmer P. Introduction to clinical medicine: a time for consensus and integration. Am J Med. 2005;118:189-94 pubmed
- Giordano J, Engebretson J. Neural and cognitive basis of spiritual experience: biopsychosocial and ethical implications for clinical medicine. Explore (NY). 2006;2:216-25 pubmed..We seek to demonstrate the importance of SE to clinical medicine by illustrating biological, cognitive, and psychosocial domains of effect...
- Farmer P, Nizeye B, Stulac S, Keshavjee S. Structural violence and clinical medicine. PLoS Med. 2006;3:e449 pubmed
- Chen T, Chen Y, Hwang S, Chou L. International collaboration of clinical medicine research in Taiwan, 1990-2004: a bibliometric analysis. J Chin Med Assoc. 2007;70:110-6 pubmed..The aim of this study was to analyze the trends in Taiwan's ISI publications in clinical medicine from 1990 to 2004...
- Kaput J, Perlina A, Hatipoglu B, Bartholomew A, Nikolsky Y. Nutrigenomics: concepts and applications to pharmacogenomics and clinical medicine. Pharmacogenomics. 2007;8:369-90 pubmed..Nutrigenomic concepts, research strategies and clinical implementation are similar to and overlap those of pharmacogenomics, and both are fundamental to the treatment of disease and maintenance of optimal health. ..
- Tack C, Plasschaert A. Student evaluation of a problem-oriented module of clinical medicine within a revised dental curriculum. Eur J Dent Educ. 2006;10:96-102 pubmed
- Bergeron B. Virtual reality applications in clinical medicine. J Med Pract Manage. 2003;18:211-5 pubmed..that simulates reality, is becoming a practical, affordable technology for the teaching and practice of clinical medicine. Although limited-fidelity virtual reality systems have been used in medical education for decades, modern, ..
- Bolumar F, Porta M. Epidemiologic methods: beyond clinical medicine, beyond epidemiology. Eur J Epidemiol. 2004;19:733-5 pubmed
- De Backer G, Ambrosioni E, Borch Johnsen K, Brotons C, Cifkova R, Dallongeville J, et al. European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: third joint task force of European and other societies on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (constituted by representatives of eight societies and by . Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil. 2003;10:S1-S10 pubmed..The Committee is also responsible for the endorsement of these guidelines or statements. ..
- Miller W, Crabtree B, Duffy M, Epstein R, Stange K. Research guidelines for assessing the impact of healing relationships in clinical medicine. Altern Ther Health Med. 2003;9:A80-95 pubmedThis paper charts a course for assessing the impact of healing relationships in clinical medicine. The system of healing relationships is multidimensional, longitudinal, contextual, and emergent...
- Desai A, Hysi P, Garcia J. Integrating genomic and clinical medicine: searching for susceptibility genes in complex lung diseases. Transl Res. 2008;151:181-93 pubmed publisherThe integration of molecular, genomic, and clinical medicine in the post-genome era provides the promise of novel information on genetic variation and pathophysiologic cascades...
- van de Ridder J, Stokking K, McGaghie W, Ten Cate O. What is feedback in clinical education?. Med Educ. 2008;42:189-97 pubmed publisher..The characteristics, strengths and weaknesses of this research-based operational definition are discussed. ..
- Beckerling A, Braun W, Sommer M. Process of measuring in clinical medicine--implications of different definitions in clinical therapeutic studies. Digestion. 2007;75 Suppl 1:25-31 pubmed..In this short review we discuss the problem of the establishment of a cut-off level on the basis of devices and we try to point out a solution to solve the arising problems. ..
- Seo D, Ginsburg G. Genomic medicine: bringing biomarkers to clinical medicine. Curr Opin Chem Biol. 2005;9:381-6 pubmed..Several important classes of biomarkers result from these analyses which, when translated to clinical medicine and drug development, will have an important impact on human health and disease...
- Broome C, Loonsk J. Public Health Information Network--improving early detection by using a standards-based approach to connecting public health and clinical medicine. MMWR Suppl. 2004;53:199-202 pubmed..To ensure this crucial interoperability, all information systems supported by federal funding for state and local preparedness capacity are required to adhere to the Public Health Information Network standards. ..
- Kern D, Branch W, Jackson J, Brady D, Feldman M, Levinson W, et al. Teaching the psychosocial aspects of care in the clinical setting: practical recommendations. Acad Med. 2005;80:8-20 pubmed..For these problems, where high-level evidence exists, specific psychosocial questions for screening and case finding are provided. ..
- Cheon S, Agarwal A, Popovic M, Milakovic M, Lam M, Fu W, et al. The accuracy of clinicians' predictions of survival in advanced cancer: a review. Ann Palliat Med. 2016;5:22-9 pubmed publisher..Given these findings, clinicians should be aware of their tendency to be overoptimistic. Further investigation of predictive patient and clinician characteristics is warranted to improve clinicians' ability to predict survival. ..
- Hudon C, St Cyr Tribble D, Legare F, Bravo G, Fortin M, Almirall J. Assessing enablement in clinical practice: a systematic review of available instruments. J Eval Clin Pract. 2010;16:1301-8 pubmed publisher..Two instruments assess enablement in hospital setting. No instrument is currently available to assess enablement in an ambulatory care context. ..
- Brown J, Patel M, Howard J, Cherry G, Shaw N. Changing clinical practice: significant events that influence trainees' learning. Educ Prim Care. 2011;22:25-31 pubmed..These results support the use of work-place-based learning as a means of facilitating clinical change and development in specialty training in primary and secondary care. ..
- Mohamedani A, Abdul Rahman S. [A critical view of Arabic curriculum as a requirement for medical schools, Gezira University]. East Mediterr Health J. 2009;15:198-208 pubmed..The students' opinions differed regarding their understanding of clinical medicine and their interaction with patients and also the benefits to them of research procedures and reporting...
- Moreno Altamirano L. [Disease, body and corporeity: an anthropological perspective]. Gac Med Mex. 2010;146:150-6 pubmed..Thus, the notion of embodiment involves our body consciousness, not just the experience of what we feel through it, but the set of meanings from it that we give the world. ..
- Thelen M, Vanstapel F, Kroupis C, Vukasovic I, Boursier G, Barrett E, et al. Flexible scope for ISO 15189 accreditation: a guidance prepared by the European Federation of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine (EFLM) Working Group Accreditation and ISO/CEN standards (WG-A/ISO). Clin Chem Lab Med. 2015;53:1173-80 pubmed publisher..The approach is risk-based, discipline and competence-based, and focuses on defining a uniform terminology transferable across the borders of scientific disciplines, laboratories and countries. ..
- Stewart W, Adams M, Stewart J, Nelson L. Review of clinical medicine and religious practice. J Relig Health. 2013;52:91-106 pubmed..The results of prayer on specific disease states appear inconsistent with cardiovascular disease but stronger in other disease states. ..
- Falk M, Anderson C. Reliability of self-assessed reading of skin tests: a possible approach in research and clinical practice?. Dermatol Online J. 2010;16:4 pubmed..This could be a qualitative advantage for diagnosis and management of skin diseases. Additionally, population studies and even prevention initiatives could be facilitated. ..
- Beregova O. The state and the problems of the education in the sphere of clinical laboratory diagnostics in Ukraine. Biochem Med (Zagreb). 2011;21:38-42 pubmed..We are aware of this fact and are committed to the improvement of the Ukrainian teaching clinical laboratory diagnostics system. ..
- Lynch P, Moyal Barracco M, Scurry J, Stockdale C. 2011 ISSVD Terminology and classification of vulvar dermatological disorders: an approach to clinical diagnosis. J Low Genit Tract Dis. 2012;16:339-44 pubmed publisher..This, in turn, will reduce the need for referrals and will improve the care for women with most vulvar disorders. ..
- Borrett D. Heidegger, Gestell and rehabilitation of the biomedical model. J Eval Clin Pract. 2013;19:497-500 pubmed publisher..As a consequence, the biomedical model cannot suppress the practitioner's humane perspective since the latter is explicitly brought under its purview. ..
- Factor S, Lo Y, Schoenbaum E, Klein R. Incident hypertension in older women and men with or at risk for HIV infection. HIV Med. 2013;14:337-46 pubmed publisher..03, 0.78). HIV infection was not associated with incident HTN in older men or women. This study provides additional evidence supporting a causal relationship between immune function and incident HTN, which warrants further study. ..
- Del Brutto O. Diagnostic criteria for neurocysticercosis, revisited. Pathog Glob Health. 2012;106:299-304 pubmed publisher..After 10 years of usage, this set has been proved useful in both, field studies, and hospital settings. Recent advances in neuroimaging and immune diagnostic methods have enhanced its accuracy for the diagnosis of NCC. ..
- Kottner J, Dassen T, Lahmann N. Comparison of two skin examination methods for grade 1 pressure ulcers. J Clin Nurs. 2009;18:2464-9 pubmed publisher..A study of diagnostic accuracy is needed to answer this question. It is recommended to report pressure ulcer prevalence rates including and excluding grade 1. ..
- Worboys M. Practice and the science of medicine in the nineteenth century. Isis. 2011;102:109-15 pubmed
- Scott I, Glasziou P. Improving effectiveness of clinical medicine: the need for better translation of science into practice. Med J Aust. 2012;197:374-8 pubmed..Although there are effective strategies for improving translation of research into practice, implementing them requires agreement between and buy-in from professional and managerial stakeholders. ..
- Patricio M, Juliao M, Fareleira F, Young M, Norman G, Vaz Carneiro A. A comprehensive checklist for reporting the use of OSCEs. Med Teach. 2009;31:112-24 pubmed publisher..The authors present a 'Comprehensive Checklist for those describing the use of OSCEs in the report of educational literature' as an attempt to encourage better report standards. ..
- Horstick O, Farrar J, Lum L, Martinez E, San Martín J, Ehrenberg J, et al. Reviewing the development, evidence base, and application of the revised dengue case classification. Pathog Glob Health. 2012;106:94-101 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the evidence-based approach to develop prospectively the dengue case classification could be a model approach for other disease classifications. ..
- Lu A, Li S. [Principle and application of Chinese medicine syndrome differentiation and disease classification]. Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi. 2010;30:84-6 pubmed
- Hofman V, Ilie M, Gavric Tanga V, Lespinet V, Mari M, Lassalle S, et al. [Role of the surgical pathology laboratory in the pre-analytical approach of molecular biology techniques]. Ann Pathol. 2010;30:85-93 pubmed publisher..These errors can indeed lead to false negative or false positive results whose therapeutic consequences can be particularly harmful to patients with cancer. ..
- Kaplan B. One Health or…some health?. Vet Ital. 2011;47:129-31 pubmed..The view that including this critical aspect of One Health endeavours may unduly detract from international public health considerations is short-sighted and deleterious to the promotion of health in its broadest sense. ..
- Sommer K. [Learning from errors: applying aviation safety concepts to medicine]. Urologe A. 2012;51:1533-40 pubmed publisher..Physicians are obliged by the oath"primum nil nocere" to act, but economic as well as political pressure will eventually confine professional freedom if initiative is not taken soon. ..
- Byrnes P. Why haven't I changed that? Therapeutic inertia in general practice. Aust Fam Physician. 2011;40:24-8 pubmed..The National Institute for Clinical Studies was set up in Australia to get the best available evidence from health and medical research into everyday practice to help close these gaps. ..
- Rathore C, Rao M, Radhakrishnan K. National epilepsy surgery program: realistic goals and pragmatic solutions. Neurol India. 2014;62:124-9 pubmed publisher..An organized national epilepsy surgery support activity can help interested centers in India and in neighboring countries in developing epilepsy surgery programs. ..
- Sandu N, Chowdhury T, Schaller B. How to apply case reports in clinical practice using surrogate models via example of the trigeminocardiac reflex. J Med Case Rep. 2016;10:84 pubmed publisherCase reports are an increasing source of evidence in clinical medicine. Until a few years ago, such case reports were emerged into systematic reviews and nowadays they are often fitted to the development of clinical (thinking) models...