academies and institutes
Summary: Organizations representing specialized fields which are accepted as authoritative; may be non-governmental, university or an independent research organization, e.g., National Academy of Sciences, Brookings Institution, etc.
Publications218 found, 100 shown here
- Psychological intervention programs for reduction of injury in ballet dancersYoung Eun Noh
Department of Physical Education, College of Education, Chonnam National University, Gwangju, South Korea
Res Sports Med 15:13-32. 2007....
- Consensus making process in the Korean Academy of Medical Sciences Guideline for Physical Impairment: evaluation as a social processYoosik Youm
Department of Sociology, Yonsei University, Seoul, Korea
J Korean Med Sci 24:S242-6. 2009..3) Public attitude did not always consistent with doctor's opinion. All these findings strongly suggest the need for developing strategies to draw consensus for legitimate and effective evaluation...
- The cancer technology appraisal programme of the UK's National Institute for Clinical ExcellencePeter Littlejohns
National Institute of Clinical Excellence, London, UK
Lancet Oncol 4:242-50. 2003..In this review we describe the process of appraising technologies, and address the recent criticism of the appraisal programme with regard to treatment of patients with cancer...
- From Mexico to Mali: progress in health policy and systems researchSara Bennett
Alliance for Health Policy and Systems Research, WHO, Geneva, Switzerland
Lancet 372:1571-8. 2008..Recommendations from the summit in Mexico remain pertinent, and momentum towards their achievement must be accelerated through the ministerial forum in Mali and beyond...
- Building a pharmacological lexicon: small molecule discovery in academiaJohn S Lazo
Department of Pharmacology, Pittsburgh Molecular Library Screening Center, University of Pittsburgh, Biomedical Science Tower 3, Suite 10040, Pittsburgh, PA 15261 0001, USA
Mol Pharmacol 72:1-7. 2007..We present some of the challenges and opportunities provided by the Molecular Library Screening Centers Network (MLSCN), which is a National Institutes of Health Roadmap Initiative...
- Pathology of immunodeficient mice with naturally occurring murine norovirus infectionJerrold M Ward
Infectious Disease Pathogenesis Section, Comparative Medicine Branch, Division of Intramural Research, NIAID, NIH, Twinbrook III, Bethesda, Maryland 20892 8135, USA
Toxicol Pathol 34:708-15. 2006..Further studies are needed to determine whether MNV presents a confounding variable in immunological, toxicological and pathological studies in mice naturally infected with MNV...
- How the rich get richerMike Rossner
J Exp Med 204:1503. 2007..HHMI will bestow monetary rewards on a commercial publisher in return for the type of public access already provided by many nonprofit publishers...
- Harvard's melting potPeter Aldhous
Nature 416:256-7. 2002
- Due process in investigations of research misconductMichelle M Mello
Department of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston 02115, USA
N Engl J Med 349:1280-6. 2003
- Fritz Jahr's 1927 concept of bioethicsHans Martin Sass
European Professional Ethics Program, Kennedy Institute of Ethics, Georgetown University, Washington, DC, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 17:279-95. 2007....
- [Hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation: a long way, from animal models to a standard treatment in human]Eucario Leon-Rodriguez
Rev Invest Clin 57:129-31. 2005
- To heal and to serve: military medical education throughout the centuriesAnke H Scultetus
Department of Surgery, Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA
J Am Coll Surg 202:1005-16. 2006
- Group scienceLaurie Goodman
J Clin Invest 114:1004-5. 2004
- [History and personalities at the Department of Urology, University of Magdeburg. From medical academy to university]T Klatte
Urologische Universitätsklinik, Magdeburg, Germany
Urologe A 45:1318-21. 2006..The department has an interesting history. Numerous famous urologists were trained here...
- The Oswaldo Cruz Institute and its relationship with other biomedical research centers in São PauloL A Teixeira
Casa de Oswaldo Cruz, FIOCRUZ, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Parassitologia 47:345-51. 2005..It concludes by showing that, due to the institutions' greater professionalization, these influences were increasingly turned into integration...
- Edward David Frohlich, MD: a conversation with the editor. Interview by William Clifford RobertsEdward David Frohlich
Am J Cardiol 92:565-81. 2003
- Neurosciences and research on chemical weapons of mass destruction in Nazi GermanyFlorian Schmaltz
Johann Wolfgang Goethe University, Historical Instiute, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
J Hist Neurosci 15:186-209. 2006..The article discusses the involvement of IG Farben scientists, educational, medical and military institutions, and of Nobel Prize laureate Richard Kuhn, director of the Kaiser Wilhelm Institute for Medical Research...
- A century of "The Society of Medicine and Natural Sciences of Parma" and three centuries of medical and scientific academies and journals in ParmaRaffaele Virdis
Acta Biomed 74:4-8. 2003
- Pictures of Dorothy HodgkinPatricia Fara
Clare College, CB2 1TL, Cambridge, UK
Endeavour 27:85-6. 2003..Although Hambling's picture features a model of insulin, it is very different from photographs celebrating the discovery of DNA...
- [Basic cancer research in Québec]Michel L Tremblay
Centre de recherche sur le cancer de l Université McGill, 3655 Promenade Sir William Osler, McIntyre Medical Sciences Building, Universite McGill, Montreal, Quebec, Canada, H3G 1Y6
Bull Cancer 93:827-30. 2006..Direct and growing collaborations between these centres and their usage of state of the art technological platforms place them in an excellent position to participate into first-rate oncology studies on the international scene...
- Biomedical community. HHMI's Cech signs off on his biggest experimentJocelyn Kaiser
Science 320:164. 2008
- Harriette Chick and the problem of ricketsKenneth J Carpenter
Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 3104, USA
J Nutr 138:827-32. 2008
- Are research schools necessary? Contrasting models of 20th century research at Yale led by Ross Granville Harrison, Grace E. Pickford and G. Evelyn HutchinsonNancy G Slack
The Sage Colleges, Troy, NY, USA
J Hist Biol 36:501-29. 2003..His group did not have one focused area of research or use one set of research tools. The paper concludes that new models for research groups are needed, especially for those, like Hutchinson's, that included much field research...
- A very brief history of arbovirology, focusing on contributions by workers of the Rockefeller foundationCharles H Calisher
Arthropod Borne and Infectious Diseases Laboratory, Colorado State University, Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis 5:202-11. 2005
- Professor Joseph Warren Horton (1889-1967): biological engineerGerald L Zeitlin
232 Allandale Road, Unit 2C, Chestnut Hill, MA 02467, USA
J Med Biogr 13:39-45. 2005....
- Fred Kavli profile. A new benefactor takes aim at basic scientific questionsRobert Irion
Science 307:340-2. 2005
- Looking backGeorges N Cohen
Insitut Pasteur, Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, Paris 75015, France
Annu Rev Microbiol 59:1-17. 2005....
- Research foundations. Biochemist Robert Tjian named president of Hughes InstituteJocelyn Kaiser
Science 322:35. 2008
- The "Friedrich-Loeffler-Institut": past, present and future of research in infectious diseases of animalsFranz J Conraths
Friedrich Loeffler Institut, Institut fur Epidemiologie, Bundesforschungsinstitut für Tiergesundheit, Wusterhausen, Germany
Berl Munch Tierarztl Wochenschr 118:354-64. 2005....
- Gender, politics, and radioactivity research in interwar Vienna: the case of the Institute for Radium ResearchMaria Rentetzi
National Technical University of Athens, Efestion II, Thisio, Athens 11851, Greece
Isis 95:359-93. 2004....
- Howard Fox, MD, founding father, American Academy of Dermatology: a historical tribute on the 50th anniversary of his deathRobert A Schwartz
Dermatology, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, New Jersey 07103, USA
J Am Acad Dermatol 51:471-3. 2004
- Better prepared than synthesized: Adolf Butenandt, Schering Ag and the transformation of sex steroids into drugs (1930-1946)Jean Paul Gaudilliere
CERMES INSERM, Paris, France
Stud Hist Philos Biol Biomed Sci 36:612-44. 2005..The paper finally shows how the wartime scientific and industrial mobilization in Nazi Germany marginalized the study of sex steroids and led to the dismantling of the KWIB-Schering network...
- Bibliometric analysis on global Parkinson's disease research trends during 1991-2006Tao Li
Department of Neurology, Renmin Hospital, Wuhan University, Wuhan 430060, China
Neurosci Lett 441:248-52. 2008..Finally, author keywords were analyzed contrastively, with research trends and recent hotspots provided...
- Andre Hellegers and Carroll House: architect and blueprint for the Kennedy Institute of EthicsJohn Collins Harvey
Clinical Center for Bioethics, Georgetown University Medical Center, Washington, DC, USA
Kennedy Inst Ethics J 14:199-206. 2004..That center would become Georgetown's Kennedy Institute of Ethics...
- Academic psychiatry and the pharmaceutical industryThomas A Ban
Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA
Prog Neuropsychopharmacol Biol Psychiatry 30:429-41. 2006....
- Systems psychodynamics: the formative years of an interdisciplinary field at the Tavistock InstituteAmy L Fraher
Paradox and Company, San Diego, CA, USA
Hist Psychol 7:65-84. 2004..This article provides a synthesis of this history and focuses, in particular,on the intellectual foundations of the Tavistock method of working experientially with groups and the application of this method to the study of organizations...
- A short history of neurosciences in AustriaK A Jellinger
Institute of Clinical Neurobiology, Vienna, Austria
J Neural Transm 113:271-82. 2006....
- [Seventy years of research in experimental mycology at the Institute of Microbiology and Virology of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine]N M Zhdanova
Institute of Microbiology and Virology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 154 Zabolotny St, Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Mikrobiol Z 65:70-83. 2003..K. Zabolotny Institute of Microbiology and Virology of the NAS of Ukraine and main achievements of the Department of Physiology and Taxonomy of Micromycetes during 1933-2003 were described in this publication...
- Nobel laureates at the Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn: phenomenology and paths to discovery in neuroscienceChristiane Groeben
History of Science Unit and Historical Archives, Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn, Villa Comunale, Naples, Italy
J Hist Neurosci 15:376-95. 2006..Their work on the squid at Naples allowed probing and quantitative refinement of results already obtained on different animals and contributed to reinforce the long lasting neurophysiological tradition of the institute...
- [Department of Antibiotics--its history and the present]V V Smirnov
Institute of Microbiology and Virology, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, 154 Zabolotny St, Kyiv, 03143, Ukraine
Mikrobiol Z 65:31-42. 2003..The main trends of scientific research and their most important results for the whole period of the Department existence are presented...
- Chances and choices: Cold Spring Harbor 1944-1955Evelyn M Witkin
Waksman Institute, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, New Brunswick, New Jersey 08855 0759 e mail
Annu Rev Microbiol 56:1-15. 2002..She then recalls incidents and recounts anecdotes meant to convey something of the atmosphere of that place during those memorable years...
- Scientific research at the Laboratoire Arago (Banyuls, France) in the twentieth century: Edouard Chatton, the "master", and André Lwoff, the "pupil"Marie Odile Soyer-Gobillard
Observatoire Océanologique de Banyuls, CNRS, UMR 76 28 Modèles en Biologie Cellulaire et Evolutive, Universite Paris 6, Banyuls sur Mer, France
Int Microbiol 5:37-42. 2002....
- Claire Fraser profile. TIGR's chief: results without the roarElizabeth Pennisi
Science 296:1957-8. 2002
- [Achievements of the Cracow School of Forensic Medicine--on the 200 th anniversary of the Chair of Forensic Medicine--Part II]Franiszek M Trela
Katedra i Zakład Medycyny Sadowej, Collegium Medicum, Uniwersytetu Jagiellonskiego w Krakowie
Przegl Lek 63:1331-4. 2006
- McClintock and marriageSharon B McGrayne
Science 296:47. 2002
- [Leonardo de la Peña Díaz (1875-1957) and the founding of the first chair of urology in Spain]Emilio Maganto Pavón
Servicio de Urologia, Hospital Ramon y Cajal, Madrid, Espana
Arch Esp Urol 55:9-23. 2002..His merits were finally recognized not only by the board but also by his opponents...
- Portrait of Science. Scientist, technologist, proto-feminist, superstarRoger M Macklis
Department of Radiation Oncology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio 44195, USA
Science 295:1647-8. 2002..By nature shy and reserved, Marie's fame, as both a scientist and as an exemplar of a liberated professional woman of the roaring twenties, grew to superstar proportions...
- 100 years on: a century of geneticsJim M Dunwell
School of Biological Sciences, University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading RG6 6AS, UK
Nat Rev Genet 8:231-5. 2007..Despite this deprivation, they established the foundations of an ongoing revolution, with huge academic and commercial consequences that we can recognize today in the shape of genomics and its application to biomedicine...
- Barbara McClintock's long postdoc yearsNathaniel C Comfort
Science 295:440. 2002
- [From Késmárk to the Röntgen Institute in Budapest--Béla Alexander's career in the countryside]Laszlo Kiss
Orv Hetil 148:1146-8. 2007
- Waldemar Mordecai Haffkine, CIE (1860-1930): prophylactic vaccination against cholera and bubonic plague in British IndiaBarbara J Hawgood
J Med Biogr 15:9-19. 2007..The Haffkine Biopharmaceutical Corporation Ltd and the Haffkine Institute for Training, Research and Testing in Mumbai continue to be important centres for public health...
- Pantheon of brains: the Moscow Brain Research Institute 1925-1936Jochen Richter
J Hist Neurosci 16:138-49. 2007....
- Introduction: lesbian academic couplesMichelle Gibson
English, University of Cincinnati, OH, USA
J Lesbian Stud 9:1-12. 2005
- Profile: Otmar WiestlerGunjan Sinha
Nat Med 10:219. 2004
- [Contribution of hygiene to the economic and social rebirth of Sardinia]B Scarpa
Dip di Igiene e Sanità Pubblica, Universita degli Studi di Cagliari
Ann Ig 14:169-78. 2002
- [The evolution of the Institut Pasteur during a century]L Le Minor
Institut Pasteur, Paris
Ann Ig 14:53-9. 2002
- Ludwig Edinger (1855-1918)Frank W Stahnisch
Department of Social Studies of Medicine, McGill University, 3647 Peel Street, H3A 1X1, Montreal, PQ, Canada
J Neurol 255:147-8. 2008
- [The centenary of the founding of the "Clinica del Lavoro Luigi Devoto" in Milan (1902-2002). The oldest health organization in the world for the study, treatment, and prevention of occupational diseases]A Grieco
Commissione Ricerca Scientifica della Clinica del Lavoro, Luigi Devoto
Med Lav 94:26-30. 2003..Actually to those asking why "Clinic of Work" and not "Clinic of Workers", Devoto used to reply that it was work that was ill and therefore it was necessary to treat the work to prevent workers' illnesses...
- [The mission and the place of the Academy of Medicine at the onset of the 21st century]Maurice Tubiana
Presse Med 32:533-4. 2003
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology in jeopardy--who should care?Fred Gorstein
Hum Pathol 34:203-5; discussion 205. 2003
- [75th anniversary of the death of grf. Kunó Klebelsberg]Peter Hencz
Orv Hetil 148:2199-201. 2007
- [François Calot, founder of the Orthopedic Institute of Berck]Philippe Loisel
Hist Sci Med 39:277-83. 2005..As he wrote many books on orthopaedic surgery he also founded the "Institut orthopédique de Berck" which is now named "Institut Calot"...
- University-industry collaboration. Last of the big-time spenders?Andrew Lawler
Science 299:330-3. 2003
- Erwin H. Ackerknecht, social medicine, and the history of medicineCharles E Rosenberg
Department of the History of Science, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA 02138, USA
Bull Hist Med 81:511-32. 2007..His emphases on everyday medical practice and on siting ideas in their social and institutional context seem prescient, a forerunner of contemporary trends in social and cultural history...
- Out in the coldPaul Smaglik
Nature 421:95. 2003
- [Commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the Health Research Foundation]Javier Olave Lusarreta
An R Acad Nac Med (Madr) 123:61-149. 2006
- Noble J. David, MD, reminiscesNoble J David
Departments of Ophthalmology and Neurology, Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48015, USA
J Neuroophthalmol 22:240-6. 2002
- The legend of LawtonJ Lawton Smith
Departments of Ophthalmology and Neurology, Kellogg Eye Center, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI 48015, USA
J Neuroophthalmol 22:228-39. 2002
- History of the American Institute of PharmacyGeorge Griffenhagen
Pharm Hist 44:47-63. 2002
- [The "Instituto de Salud Carlos III" and the public health in Spain. Origin of laboratory medicine and of the central laboratories and research in public health]Rafael Nájera Morrondo
Centro Nacional de Microbiologia, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Ministerio de Sanidad y Consumo, Majadahonda, Madrid
Rev Esp Salud Publica 80:585-604. 2006....
- Behavioral toxicology in the 21st century: challenges and opportunities for behavioral scientists. Summary of a symposium presented at the annual meeting of the neurobehavioral teratology society, June, 2009Philip J Bushnell
National Health and Environmental Effects Research Laboratory, U S Environmental Protection Agency, Research Triangle Park, NC 27711, United States
Neurotoxicol Teratol 32:313-28. 2010..Initial advances will likely provide better prioritization tools so that animal resources are used more efficiently and effectively...
- Genomics, molecular imaging, bioinformatics, and bio-nano-info integration are synergistic components of translational medicine and personalized healthcare researchJack Y Yang
Harvard Medical School, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02115, USA
BMC Genomics 9:I1. 2008....
- [A great Franco-Mauritian epidemiologist: Joseph Désiré Tholozan (1820-18970]J Theodorides
Recherche honoraire au CNRS, Paris
Bull Soc Pathol Exot 91:104-8. 1998..His name was given by Laboulbène to Ornithodoros tholozani, a tick vector of a recurrent fever (spirochetosis due to Borrelia persica), of which he had described both the symptoms and the vector in 1882...
- A review of the use of CAM therapy and the sources of accurate and reliable informationMary McHughes
Department of Pharmacotherapy, College of Pharmacy, University of Utah, 30 South 2000 East Rm 258, Salt Lake City, UT 84112 5820, USA
J Manag Care Pharm 11:695-703. 2005....
- The Football Association medical research programme: an audit of injuries in academy youth footballR J Price
The Football Association, Lilleshall Hall National Sports Centre, Lilleshall, Near Newport, Shropshire TF10 9AT, UK
Br J Sports Med 38:466-71. 2004..To undertake a prospective epidemiological study of the injuries sustained in English youth academy football over two competitive seasons...
- 2K09 and thereafter : the coming era of integrative bioinformatics, systems biology and intelligent computing for functional genomics and personalized medicine researchJack Y Yang
Department of Radiation Oncology, Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02114, USA
BMC Genomics 11:I1. 2010..Joydeep Ghosh (UT Austin), Dr. Aidong Zhang (Buffalo) and Dr. Zhi-Hua Zhou (Nanjing) for their significant contributions to the field of intelligent biological medicine...
- Issues in using human variability distributions to estimate low-dose riskKenny S Crump
Louisiana Tech University, Ruston, Louisiana 71272 0046, USA
Environ Health Perspect 118:387-93. 2010..This distribution is centered at a point-of-departure dose that is usually estimated from animal data. The resulting log-normal distribution is used to quantify low-dose risk...
- The global health workforce shortage: role of surgeons and other providersGeorge F Sheldon
Department of Surgery, The University of North Carolina, CB 7050, Chapel Hill, NC 27599 7050, USA
Adv Surg 42:63-85. 2008..The recommendation that students make personal specialty choices reversed the prior recommendation that a majority of students enter primary care practice...
- Medicine in the Encyclopédie (1751-1780) of Diderot and d'AlembertNatale G De Santo
First Chair of Nephrology, Department of Medicine, Second University of Naples, Naples Italy and Italian Institute for Philosophical Studies, Naples, Italy
J Nephrol 24:S12-24. 2011..New accurate definitions appeared for life, disease, death, infections, plague, epidemics, hygiene, fevers and edema. Semiology, the study of signs, became the visible explanation of deranged function, diagnosis and prognosis...
- Look-alike medications: a formula for possible morbidity and mortality in the long-term care facilityGrant Walliser
Hattie Larlham Center for Children With Disabilities, Hattie Larlham Research Institute, Mantua, Ohio, USA
J Am Med Dir Assoc 8:541-2. 2007..We report such an experience where a patient in a long-term care facility received multi-day, excessive dosing of glipizide rather than her anti-spasticity medication, baclofen...
- Hydrophilic fungi and ergosterol associated with respiratory illness in a water-damaged buildingJu Hyeong Park
Division of Respiratory Disease Studies, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Morgantown, WV 26505, USA
Environ Health Perspect 116:45-50. 2008..Damp building-related respiratory illnesses are an important public health issue...
- Shackling the shoulders of giants. A report on excerpts from the National Academies' Symposium on the Role of Scientific and Technical Data and Information in the Public Domain, Washington, DC, September 5-6, 2002John S Gardenier
Sci Eng Ethics 9:425-34. 2003..The definitive record of the symposium is planned to be available from the National Academies Press as a Proceedings publication in the summer of 2003...
- [Atopic dermatitis in children and food allergy: combination or causality? Should avoidance diets be initiated?]G Kanny
Medecine Interne, Immunologie Clinique et Allergologie, CHU de Nancy, Hopital Central, 54035 Nancy Cedex
Ann Dermatol Venereol 132:1S90-103. 2005..Understanding the triggering mechanisms of oral tolerance will permit the development of strategies for the prevention and cure of food allergies...
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis in the European Union: opportunities and challenges for controlRobin Fears
European Academies Science Advisory Council Secretariat, Royal Society, London, UK
Tuberculosis (Edinb) 90:182-7. 2010..It remains very important for the EC that neither biomedical research nor investment in health services should become a casualty of the current economic recession...
- [From apprenticeship to Nobel Prize: Henri Moissan's fabulous destiny]O Lafont
Laboratoire de Pharmacochimie, Faculte de medecine et de pharmacie de Rouen, Universite de Rouen, 22, boulevard Gambetta, 76183 Rouen Cedex 1, France
Ann Pharm Fr 66:28-33. 2008..Nothing of that would have been possible if there had not been a second-class pharmacist diploma. The history of Henri Moissan is one of a rise from apprenticeship to the Nobel Prize...
- Argument on removal of respirator in JapanMitsuyasu Kurosu
Department of Bioethics Medical Ethics, Tokyo Medical University, 6 1 1 Shinjuku Shinjuku ku, Tokyo 160 8402, Japan
Leg Med (Tokyo) 11:S399-400. 2009..Even if a patient decides autonomously that he wishes his life to be prematurely terminated, he is not in a position to carry out this act himself. Therefore, the conduct of physicians has become an important issue...
- The status of the seventh report in the series Biological Effects of Ionizing Radiations and a revised dosimetry for the Radiation Effects Research Foundation's A-bomb studiesEvan Douple
National Academies, Washington, DC 20001, USA
J Radiol Prot 22:A175-9. 2002..The committee's statement of task is reviewed along with the major recommendations of the recent National Research Council report on the status of DS86--recommendations that are being implemented by US and Japan dosimetry working groups...
- History and status of embryology and developmental biology at Polish Medical Faculties and SchoolsHieronim Bartel
Department of Histology and Embryology, Medical University of Lodz, Poland
Int J Dev Biol 52:141-6. 2008..In the XX century, eminent medicine-related embryologist included professors Emil Godlewski Jr., Stanislaw Hiller and Stefan Baginski...
- Accuracy and reliability of forensic latent fingerprint decisionsBradford T Ulery
Noblis, 3150 Fairview Park Drive, Falls Church, VA 22042, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 108:7733-8. 2011..Examiners frequently differed on whether fingerprints were suitable for reaching a conclusion...
- Nine out of 10 food advertisements shown during Saturday morning children's television programming are for foods high in fat, sodium, or added sugars, or low in nutrientsAmeena Batada
Center for Science in the Public Interest, Washington, DC 20009, USA
J Am Diet Assoc 108:673-8. 2008..The findings can help food and nutrition professionals counsel children about healthful eating and/or develop programs or policies to balance those advertisements with healthful eating messages...
- A shift to ambulatory medical education in IsraelKhaled Karkabi
Department of Family Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, Israel
Clin Teach 7:126-30. 2010..The objective of this article is to propose an action plan aimed at shifting undergraduate medical education in Israel towards ambulatory education...
- A randomized treatment study to compare the efficacy of repeated nerve blocks with cognitive therapy for control of chronic head and neck painGeorge Gale
Rothbart Pain Management Clinic, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Pain Res Manag 7:185-9. 2002..Patients who had been receiving nerve blocks proved willing to remain in the study if allocated to the nerve block group and unwilling to remain in the cognitive therapy group while foregoing their accustomed treatment...
- Carlos Chagas: biographical sketchAlvaro Moncayo
National Academy of Medicine, Carrera 7 No 69 11, Bogota DC, Colombia
Acta Trop 115:1-4. 2010..Carlos Chagas was a laboratory researcher, a clinician and a health administrator. For all these accomplishments he deserves our respect and admiration...
- The brain commission of the international association of academies: the first international society of neurosciencesJ Richter
Forschungstelle für Geschichte der Sexualwissenschaft der Magnus Hirschfeld Gesellschaft e V, Berlin, Germany
Brain Res Bull 52:445-57. 2000....
- [The ALANAM statement on public health policy]Alejando Goic
ALANAM y la Academia Chilena de Medicina
Rev Med Chil 138:1558-60. 2010..The statement ends by calling on governments to support public health research as a necessary step in tackling with greater efficiency the health problems still prevalent in the region...
- Toxicological assessments of Gulf War veteransMark Brown
US Department of Veterans Affairs Office of Public Health and Environmental Hazards, Washington, DC 20420, USA
Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci 361:649-79. 2006..Nevertheless, these independent and highly credible scientific reviews have proven to be an effective means for evaluating potential health effects from deployment-related environmental hazards...
- Developing schools of public health in countries of Eastern Europe and the Commonwealth of Independent StatesTheodore H Tulchinsky
Department of Social Medicine, Hebrew University Hadassah Braun School of Public Health and Community Medicine, P O B 12272, Jerusalem 91120, Israel
Public Health Rev 30:179-200. 2002..The purpose is to provide guidelines for those SPHs under development that are seeking international support and resources...
- Dietary fiber: the influence of definition on analysis and regulationJonathan W DeVries
Medallion Laboratories, General Mills, James Ford Bell Technical Center, 9000 Plymouth Ave, North, Minneapolis, MN 55427, USA
J AOAC Int 87:682-706. 2004....
- Ankle injuries in football academies: a three-centre prospective studyDavid J Cloke
Northumbria Healthcare NHS Trust, Northumbria, UK
Br J Sports Med 45:702-8. 2011..Injuries are common in youth soccer, of which ankle injuries form a significant proportion. However, there is a lack of prospective data on the epidemiology and nature of these injuries...
- The administrative stabilization of vaccines: Regulating the diphtheria antitoxin in France and Germany, 1894-1900Volker Hess
Institute for the History of Medicine, Charite Berlin
Sci Context 21:201-27. 2008..In sum, I explore how an experimental object was transformed into an object of the public health system and stabilized by administrative means...
- Implementing touch-screen technology to enhance recognition of distressK Clark
Sheri and Les Biller Patient and Family Resource Center, City of Hope, Duarte, CA, USA
Psychooncology 18:822-30. 2009..Although early identification of distress has recently gained wide attention, the practical issues of implementing psychosocial screening with and without the use of technology have not been fully addressed or investigated...
- Advancement of Women in STEMM: A Multi-level Research and Action ProjectMARY LINDSEY CARNES; Fiscal Year: 2010....
- Advancement of Women in STEMM: A Multi-level Research and Action ProjectMARY CARNES; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- ASIAN AMERICAN NETWORK FOR CANCER AWAREN, RESEARCH & TRGMoon Chen; Fiscal Year: 2004..Thus, AANCART collaborators will share experiences and expertise, reducing duplication and promoting synergy. ..
- Gatekeepers and Gender Schemas.VIRGINIA VICTORIA contact VALIAN; Fiscal Year: 2010..Third, gatekeepers may make mistakes in evaluating candidates for positions, promotion, awards, and positions of distinction, failing to recruit and retain the best talent. ..
- COMPARATIVE MEDICAL SCIENCE TRAINING PROGRAMStephen Barthold; Fiscal Year: 2007..Faculty within the Center for Comparative Medicine as well as faculty in other linked programs will provide the mentoring for students, thereby providing maximal opportunity to match students with their areas of interest. ..
- Comparative Biomedical Sciences Training ProgramCharles Czuprynski; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Epidemiology of Jump-landing Movements and ACL InjuryStephen Marshall; Fiscal Year: 2009..Unlike some of the anatomical and hormonal risk factors discussed in the literature, neuromuscular risk factors are readily modifiable and are amenable to intervention. ..
- SUMMER RESEARCH TRAINING OF VETERINARY MEDICAL STUDENTSDONALD REYNOLDS; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Minority K-12 Initiative for Teachers and Students (MKITS)ROBERT KAMAN; Fiscal Year: 2007..abstract_text> ..
- REDUCED DRUG INTERACTIONS OF AZOLE ANTIFUNGAL DRUGSJoseph Gal; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- METABOTROPIC GLUTAMATE RECEPTORS IN BASAL GANGLIAP Conn; Fiscal Year: 2007..Furthermore, we will test the hypothesis that agonists or allosteric potentiators of this receptor can provide palliative relief in rodent models of PD by actions in the GP. ..
- HERITAGE FAMILY STUDY, PHASE 4Claude Bouchard; Fiscal Year: 2007....
- Nanovectors for Characterization and Destruction of Breast Tumor VasculatureMauro Ferrari; Fiscal Year: 2009....
- A NURSING STUDY OF GUT FUNCTION IN MENSTRUATING WOMENMargaret Heitkemper; Fiscal Year: 1993..Knowledge of the relationship among menstrual cycle function, ANS /adrenal arousal, psychological/somatic distress and GI responsivity (symptoms and function) has implications for GI symptom management in menstruating women...
- Workshop on Science-Based Guidelines for Lab AnimalsJOANNE ZURLO; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- SUPPORT FOR INSTITUTE FOR LABORATORY ANIMAL RESEARCHJOANNE ZURLO; Fiscal Year: 2006..S., and internationally. ..