medical record linkage
Summary: The creation and maintenance of medical and vital records in multiple institutions in a manner that will facilitate the combined use of the records of identified individuals.
- Denaxas S, George J, Herrett E, Shah A, Kalra D, Hingorani A, et al. Data resource profile: cardiovascular disease research using linked bespoke studies and electronic health records (CALIBER). Int J Epidemiol. 2012;41:1625-38 pubmed publisher..iv) Transparency: all CALIBER studies have an analytic protocol registered in the public domain, and data are available (safe haven model) for use subject to approvals. For more information, e-mail email@example.com. ..
- Boyd J, Ferrante A, O Keefe C, Bass A, Randall S, Semmens J. Data linkage infrastructure for cross-jurisdictional health-related research in Australia. BMC Health Serv Res. 2012;12:480 pubmed publisher..It represents an advance in Australia's national data linkage capabilities and sets the scene for stronger government-research collaboration. ..
- Huebner Bloder G, Duftschmid G, Kohler M, Rinner C, Saboor S, Ammenwerth E. An EHR prototype using structured ISO/EN 13606 documents to respond to identified clinical information needs of diabetes specialists: a controlled study on feasibility and impact. AMIA Annu Symp Proc. 2012;2012:380-9 pubmed..The participants also appreciated the extended query options. ..
- Herrett E, Shah A, Boggon R, Denaxas S, Smeeth L, van Staa T, et al. Completeness and diagnostic validity of recording acute myocardial infarction events in primary care, hospital care, disease registry, and national mortality records: cohort study. BMJ. 2013;346:f2350 pubmed publisher..NCT01569139 clinicaltrials.gov. ..
- Kuzu M, Kantarcioglu M, Durham E, Toth C, Malin B. A practical approach to achieve private medical record linkage in light of public resources. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2013;20:285-92 pubmed publisher..Performance of cryptanalysis against BFEs based on patient data is significantly lower than theoretical estimates. The proposed countermeasure makes BFEs resistant to known practical attacks. ..
- Veseli H, Kopanitsa G, Demski H. Standardized EHR interoperability - preliminary results of a German pilot project using the archetype methodology. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2012;180:646-50 pubmed..Furthermore, the server provides rich visualization capabilities (e.g. language-switch, custom charts etc.) which are useful for those EHR systems that don't provide these features. ..
- Meizoso García M, Iglesias Allones J, Martínez Hernández D, Taboada Iglesias M. Semantic similarity-based alignment between clinical archetypes and SNOMED CT: an application to observations. Int J Med Inform. 2012;81:566-78 pubmed publisher..Moreover, the semantic-based methods provide a means of validating and disambiguating the resulting bindings. Therefore, this work is a step forward to reduce the human participation in the mapping process. ..
- Bohensky M, Jolley D, Sundararajan V, Evans S, Ibrahim J, Brand C. Development and validation of reporting guidelines for studies involving data linkage. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2011;35:486-9 pubmed publisher..These guidelines will assist authors to report their results in a consistent, high-quality manner. They will also assist readers to interpret the quality of results derived from data linkage studies. ..
- Coutinho E, Coeli C. [Accuracy of the probabilistic record linkage methodology to ascertain deaths in survival studies]. Cad Saude Publica. 2006;22:2249-52 pubmed..5%, specificity of 99.4%, positive predictive value of 98.1%, and negative predictive value of 94.9%. In conclusion, probabilistic record linkage appears to be a useful tool for identifying deaths in cohort studies conducted in Brazil. ..
- Merry A, Boer J, Schouten L, Feskens E, Verschuren W, Gorgels A, et al. Validity of coronary heart diseases and heart failure based on hospital discharge and mortality data in the Netherlands using the cardiovascular registry Maastricht cohort study. Eur J Epidemiol. 2009;24:237-47 pubmed publisher..Incidence rates based on hospital discharge and mortality data may underestimate the true incidence rates, especially for unstable angina pectoris and heart failure. ..
- Karmel R, Gibson D. Event-based record linkage in health and aged care services data: a methodological innovation. BMC Health Serv Res. 2007;7:154 pubmed..Analysis shows that there is a range of circumstances in which event-based record linkage could be applied to two event-level databases to generate a linked database useful for transition analysis. ..
- Hays R, Smith A, Reeve B, Spritzer K, Marcus S, Clauser S. Cigarette smoking and health-related quality of life in Medicare beneficiaries. Health Care Financ Rev. 2008;29:57-67 pubmed..Encouraging smokers to quit and providing abstinence support to persons who have recently quit may help reduce health-related impacts of cigarette use. ..
- Jian W, Wen H, Scholl J, Shabbir S, Lee P, Hsu C, et al. The Taiwanese method for providing patients data from multiple hospital EHR systems. J Biomed Inform. 2011;44:326-32 pubmed publisher..Based on our experiences in designing and implementing the system we propose a three step method for accomplishing Information Collection from EHR systems at medical institutions for similar PHR systems in the future. ..
- Campbell K, Deck D, Krupski A. Record linkage software in the public domain: a comparison of Link Plus, The Link King, and a 'basic' deterministic algorithm. Health Informatics J. 2008;14:5-15 pubmed publisher..Link Plus is a good choice for non-SAS users as long as necessary programming resources are available for processing record pairs identified by Link Plus. ..
- Jian W, Hsu C, Hao T, Wen H, Hsu M, Lee Y, et al. Building a portable data and information interoperability infrastructure-framework for a standard Taiwan Electronic Medical Record Template. Comput Methods Programs Biomed. 2007;88:102-11 pubmed..The TMT provides a basis for building a portable, interoperable information infrastructure for EHR exchange in Taiwan. ..
- Gadd C, Ho Y, Cala C, Blakemore D, Chen Q, Frisse M, et al. User perspectives on the usability of a regional health information exchange. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011;18:711-6 pubmed publisher..Results from this study suggest that a rapid development approach may serve as a viable model for developing usable HIEs serving communities with limited resources. ..
- Adler Milstein J, Bates D, Jha A. A survey of health information exchange organizations in the United States: implications for meaningful use. Ann Intern Med. 2011;154:666-71 pubmed publisher..S. physicians and hospitals engage in robust HIE to improve the quality and efficiency of care. Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. ..
- Garde S, Knaup P, Hovenga E, Heard S. Towards semantic interoperability for electronic health records. Methods Inf Med. 2007;46:332-43 pubmed..We therefore believe that openEHR archetypes and domain knowledge governance together create the knowledge environment required to adopt EHRs. ..
- Jutte D, Roos L, Brownell M. Administrative record linkage as a tool for public health research. Annu Rev Public Health. 2011;32:91-108 pubmed publisher..Ever advancing methodologies and data holdings guarantee that research using linked administrative databases will make increasingly important contributions to public health research. ..
- Frisse M. Health information exchange in Memphis: impact on the physician-patient relationship. J Law Med Ethics. 2010;38:50-7 pubmed publisher..Personal health records, consolidated EHR systems, and other alternative models promise to have similar impacts on the way in which providers and patients interact with one another. ..
- Wright A, Soran C, Jenter C, Volk L, Bates D, Simon S. Physician attitudes toward health information exchange: results of a statewide survey. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010;17:66-70 pubmed publisher..While physicians may be willing to participate in HIE, they are not consistently willing to pay to participate. HIE business models that require substantial physician subscription fees may face significant challenges. ..
- Sinha S, Myint P, Luben R, Khaw K. Accuracy of death certification and hospital record linkage for identification of incident stroke. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008;8:74 pubmed publisher..Death certificates and hospital record linkage in this British prospective study have a high accuracy or positive predictive value in correctly identifying incident stroke cases. ..
- Smith A, Reeve B, Bellizzi K, Harlan L, Klabunde C, Amsellem M, et al. Cancer, comorbidities, and health-related quality of life of older adults. Health Care Financ Rev. 2008;29:41-56 pubmed..Negative associations were most pronounced in those with two or more comorbidities and in those diagnosed with cancer within the past year. ..
- Ross S, Schilling L, Fernald D, Davidson A, West D. Health information exchange in small-to-medium sized family medicine practices: motivators, barriers, and potential facilitators of adoption. Int J Med Inform. 2010;79:123-9 pubmed publisher..These findings may assist policymakers in promoting adoption of HIE among small-to-medium sized primary care practices, a major component of the US healthcare system. ..
- Patel V, Abramson E, Edwards A, Malhotra S, Kaushal R. Physicians' potential use and preferences related to health information exchange. Int J Med Inform. 2011;80:171-80 pubmed publisher..Recent U.S. federal health IT policies that provide financial incentives as well as technical assistance may address potential barriers to adoption and usage of HIE. ..
- Roberts C, Algert C, Ford J. Methods for dealing with discrepant records in linked population health datasets: a cross-sectional study. BMC Health Serv Res. 2007;7:12 pubmed..However, this raises the possibility of discrepant case reports from different datasets...
- Amin J, Law M, Bartlett M, Kaldor J, Dore G. Causes of death after diagnosis of hepatitis B or hepatitis C infection: a large community-based linkage study. Lancet. 2006;368:938-45 pubmed..Our data highlight that young people with hepatitis C and with co-infection face a higher mortality risk from continued drug use than from their infection, whereas the main cause of hepatitis B death was liver related. ..
- Colvin L, Slack Smith L, Stanley F, Bower C. Linking a pharmaceutical claims database with a birth defects registry to investigate birth defect rates of suspected teratogens. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2010;19:1137-50 pubmed publisher..1; 95%CI: 1.6-41.7). Many known associations between medicines and birth defects were identified, suggesting that linked administrative data could be an important means of pharmacovigilance in pregnancy in Australia. ..
- Bernal Delgado E, Martos C, Martinez N, Chirlaque M, Márquez M, Navarro C, et al. Is hospital discharge administrative data an appropriate source of information for cancer registries purposes? Some insights from four Spanish registries. BMC Health Serv Res. 2010;10:9 pubmed publisher..However, for cancer surveillance purposes, in those cancers like prostate cancer in which care is not only hospital-based, combining inpatient and outpatient information will be required. ..
- Agrawal A, Wu W. Reducing medication errors and improving systems reliability using an electronic medication reconciliation system. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2009;35:106-14 pubmed..Although computerized physician order entry (CPOE) decision support tools are an important component of medication error prevention strategies, they alone are not sufficient to prevent errors of prescribing. ..
- Fischbacher C, Bhopal R, Povey C, Steiner M, Chalmers J, Mueller G, et al. Record linked retrospective cohort study of 4.6 million people exploring ethnic variations in disease: myocardial infarction in South Asians. BMC Public Health. 2007;7:142 pubmed..The outcome is a retrospective cohort study. Our results point to increased incidence rather than increased case fatality in explaining high CHD mortality rate. The findings open up new methods for researchers and health planners. ..
- Tromp M, Méray N, Ravelli A, Reitsma J, Bonsel G. Ignoring dependency between linking variables and its impact on the outcome of probabilistic record linkage studies. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2008;15:654-60 pubmed publisher..The impact on the number of misclassifications depends on the quality and number of linking variables relative to the number of correlated linking variables. ..
- Hayen A, Smith D, Patel M, O Connell D. Patterns of surgical care for prostate cancer in NSW, 1993-2002: rural/urban and socio-economic variation. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2008;32:417-20 pubmed publisher..Further investigation is needed to understand the reasons for the variation in the surgical patterns of care for prostate cancer so that interventions can be implemented to ensure appropriate access for all men. ..
- Hill T, Bansi L, Sabin C, Phillips A, Dunn D, Anderson J, et al. Data linkage reduces loss to follow-up in an observational HIV cohort study. J Clin Epidemiol. 2010;63:1101-9 pubmed publisher..Data linkage identifies patients returning for care at different centers. Recognition of factors associated with LFU may help reduce this important source of bias in observational databases. ..
- Ford J, Roberts C, Taylor L. Characteristics of unmatched maternal and baby records in linked birth records and hospital discharge data. Paediatr Perinat Epidemiol. 2006;20:329-37 pubmed..Our results suggest studies using linked data should generally examine and report on the characteristics of unmatched records, and recognise them as a potential source of bias. ..
- El Emam K, Jabbouri S, Sams S, Drouet Y, Power M. Evaluating common de-identification heuristics for personal health information. J Med Internet Res. 2006;8:e28 pubmed..Data custodians and researchers need to consider other statistical disclosure techniques for protecting privacy. ..
- Overhage J. Health information exchange: 'lex parsimoniae'. Health Aff (Millwood). 2007;26:w595-7 pubmed..The should be parsimonious--not overly constraining how the exchanges operate and maintaining separation between the applications that provide functionality and the network that supports HIE. ..
- Copeland G, Kirby R. Using birth defects registry data to evaluate infant and childhood mortality associated with birth defects: an alternative to traditional mortality assessment using underlying cause of death statistics. Birth Defects Res A Clin Mol Teratol. 2007;79:792-7 pubmed
- Kho A, Lemmon L, Commiskey M, Wilson S, McDonald C. Use of a regional health information exchange to detect crossover of patients with MRSA between urban hospitals. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2008;15:212-6 pubmed..Information exchange could improve timely identification of known MRSA patients within an urban setting. ..
- Brook E, Rosman D, Holman C. Public good through data linkage: measuring research outputs from the Western Australian Data Linkage System. Aust N Z J Public Health. 2008;32:19-23 pubmed publisher..Consequential clinical practice reforms had occurred in laparoscopic, cholecystectomy and acute coronary care. Data linkage can make a substantial and quantifiable contribution to population health and policy development. ..
- Baldi I, Vicari P, Di Cuonzo D, Zanetti R, Pagano E, Rosato R, et al. A high positive predictive value algorithm using hospital administrative data identified incident cancer cases. J Clin Epidemiol. 2008;61:373-9 pubmed publisher..This method provides a valid study base for timely monitoring cancer practice and related outcomes, geographic and temporal variations, and costs. ..
- Ambs A, Warren J, Bellizzi K, Topor M, Haffer S, Clauser S. Overview of the SEER--Medicare Health Outcomes Survey linked dataset. Health Care Financ Rev. 2008;29:5-21 pubmed..This article provides a description of the SEER-MHOS data as a tool to study cancer among Medicare enrollees. In order to highlight the strengths of the database, we also present some descriptive statistics from the database. ..
- Johnson K, Unertl K, Chen Q, Lorenzi N, Nian H, Bailey J, et al. Health information exchange usage in emergency departments and clinics: the who, what, and why. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011;18:690-7 pubmed publisher..These data should form an important foundation as other sites embark upon HIE implementation. ..
- Donati S, Senatore S, Ronconi A. Maternal mortality in Italy: a record-linkage study. BJOG. 2011;118:872-9 pubmed publisher..This study implies that only 37% of all maternal deaths are included in the official data. Our analysis shows a predominance of direct obstetric deaths, which implies that emphasis is needed on improvements of obstetric care. ..
- Briffa T, Sanfilippo F, Hobbs M, Ridout S, Katzenellenbogen J, Thompson P, et al. Under-ascertainment of Aboriginality in records of cardiovascular disease in hospital morbidity and mortality data in Western Australia: a record linkage study. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2010;10:111 pubmed publisher..Under-identification of Aboriginal status is high in death records. ..
- Demski H, Hildebrand C, Brass A, Jedamzik S, Engelbrecht R. Improvement of cross-sector communication in the integrated health environment. Stud Health Technol Inform. 2010;155:95-100 pubmed..ByMedConnect aims to evaluate the achieved theoretical preliminary work in practice and to draft approaches, which can be applied beyond the pilot application. ..
- . Electronic record linkage to identify deaths among persons with AIDS--District of Columbia, 2000-2005. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008;57:631-4 pubmed..The results indicated that electronic record linkage for death ascertainment is necessary to more accurately estimate the prevalence of persons living with HIV/AIDS. ..
- Adler Milstein J, Landefeld J, Jha A. Characteristics associated with regional health information organization viability. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2010;17:61-5 pubmed publisher..Convincing stakeholders to financially commit early in the process may help RHIOs become self-sustaining. ..